PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old?

MartinHarper
25th-August-2004, 03:52 PM
As revenge for Gus's thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1947&page=1&pp=20)...

More for the guys this one...

It's a club night, a groin grinding mutha of a sexy Blues track comes on and as you step towards the dancefloor you're grabbed for a dance .... shes a great dancer, good looking and wants to Blues ... slight problem ... shes as much as 75

Is it just me but do you find that some lasses are just tooooo old to closely dance with?

ODA off. :)

ChrisA
25th-August-2004, 04:02 PM
she's as much as 75

Is she rich?

:devil:

latinlover
25th-August-2004, 04:06 PM
actually it wouldn't occur to me to be bothered about her age if she was a really great dancer.
I think Iwould be equally able to dance to the full ,regardless of the lady's age ,looks,size ,hair colour ,dress sense or anything else (except bad breath, and even thenI would try to ignore it) if the music was that inspiring!
It's only dancing after all :wink:
I might find it a bit intimidating if Mrs LL was watching,though! :whistle:

DianaS
25th-August-2004, 04:12 PM
Definately go for it, Martin.
She'll have you for breakfast and blow you out in bubbles,
it's a once in a lifetime mate! :drool:

TheTramp
25th-August-2004, 04:16 PM
Personally, I think that 36 is too old this year. Next year, it'll be 37 :whistle:

Trampy

Emma
25th-August-2004, 04:38 PM
Personally, I think that 36 is too old this year. Next year, it'll be 37 :whistle:
Trampy:what:

tsk! :p

Pammy
25th-August-2004, 04:40 PM
Is she rich?

You naughty boy you, no wonder you have so many wives. But you always manage to make me laugh :rofl:

DianaS
25th-August-2004, 04:42 PM

Trampy
..but you will make an exception for our special "no tape!" dance, won't you Trampy?!

Lory
25th-August-2004, 05:06 PM

Trampy
That counts me out for a dance with you on Sunday then! :tears:

TheTramp
25th-August-2004, 05:10 PM
Ah. But I can only go on how old you look Lory. So, I'd quite believe that you are both under 36. By a long way.

Diana, I'm sure that I'll be able to say the same to you when I finally get to meet you :D

Trampy

latinlover
25th-August-2004, 05:37 PM

Diana, I'm sure that I'll be able to say the same to you when I finally get to meet you :D

Trampy

I thought she was about 25 :D
maybe she adopted her chidren,then.... :whistle:

Minnie M
25th-August-2004, 05:51 PM
:whistle:

DianaS
25th-August-2004, 05:51 PM
I thought she was about 25 :D
maybe she adopted her chidren,then.... :whistle:
I did! - and I keep telling them to go and find their real parents...
but they won't go :tears:

Daisy
25th-August-2004, 05:56 PM
There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle!! :whistle:

Things mature with age.......wine, cheese, wood, :yum:
(most things except MEN)!

They just become older children with bigger toys.......I SAID TOYS!! :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My taste in life is simple....I only want the best.

Minnie M
25th-August-2004, 06:05 PM
(most things except MEN).......

:yeah: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
25th-August-2004, 06:06 PM
I SAID TOYS!! :wink:

We heard you :wink:

Lory
25th-August-2004, 06:18 PM
Ah. But I can only go on how old you look Lory. So, I'd quite believe that you are both under 36. By a long way.

Trampy :D You said the RIGHT thing! ;) :wink:

:yeah: :rofl:

Gordon J Pownall
26th-August-2004, 12:45 PM
Is she rich?

...and does she have her own teeth.....?

Daisy
26th-August-2004, 07:45 PM
...and does she have her own teeth.....?

You've definately got a thing about teeth. :whistle:

Do you have a recurring nightmare where you wake up without any or something? :sick:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
My taste in life is simple......I only want the best!

Sparkles
26th-August-2004, 08:25 PM
:D You said the RIGHT thing! ;) :wink:

:what:
This is a once in a life-time event ladies and gentlemen - mark it in your diaries as the day The Tramp said the right thing :wink:

Meanwhile back on thread...
Why does this just have to be about older women wanting you to blues with them?
Ladies do you find that some men are 'too old' to blues with?
Just curious :flower: (bet the blokes don't like having the tables turned though... :devil: )

Yogi_Bear
26th-August-2004, 09:34 PM
:
Ladies do you find that some men are 'too old' to blues with?
Just curious :flower: (bet the blokes don't like having the tables turned though... :devil: )
So how old is too old? How many years do I have left (if any
:tears: ) before I will have to give up dancing blues and take up something more fitting, like maybe ballroom? :(

Whitebeard
26th-August-2004, 09:39 PM

My TOYS have gotten very rusty!! Do I care? Nope. Consigned to the virtual trashcan, I can tackle the dancing and embrace the social atmosphere all the more now that all that childish nonsense is behind me!! Except, I still like women much more than men.

Seriously, the great thing about MJ classes (and Ceroc in particular) is that, although the first night was very daunting, age has barely been an issue except in so far as learning new tricks is definitely a slower process. (That's probably a man thing too.) Not to worry, it's coming slowly, and there've been some great dances over the last week or two which I'm sure my partners have also enjoyed.

Where else could a lone 'stranger in town' enjoy such a regular night of fun and frolics and find such ready acceptance?

MartinHarper
26th-August-2004, 09:45 PM
Why does this just have to be about older women wanting you to blues with them?

Because it would ruin the symmetry with Gus's post, thus frustrating my efforts to become (cue drum roll and dramatic lighting) The Anti-Gus... :)

Gojive
26th-August-2004, 09:50 PM
Where else could a lone 'stranger in town' enjoy such a regular night of fun and frolics and find such ready acceptance?

Aaah! I couldn't agree more with that!.

I'm not exactly old (41), but certainly feel it at times (especially after dancing Mambo No.5 and Zoot Suit Riot back to back :wink: ).

The night before I flew to Ceroc Barcelona earlier this month, I decided to stay over at an hotel close to Gatwick Airport, for an early morning flight out. A quick scout around on the internet, revealed a regular Friday night MJ class in the local area, so my evening was sorted!.

No more whileing (sp?) a boring night away in a lonely corner of a hotel bar any more for me, thanks to MJ.

Back to the original question though, I would dance any style/speed with a lady of any age....I just love dancing! :waycool:

Whitebeard
26th-August-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm not exactly old (41) .....
You can add at least a couple of decades to that in my case. But what the hell , I don't have to even think of sucking up to the boss, or rush around the globe, or face a night huddled at a dreary hotel bar dreaming that some disreputable blonde might slink down beside me and flutter an eyelash.

I just troll along to my local venue where (and, I cannot in all honesty quite say that they're exactly queueing, but) a few perfectly respectable ladies do approach me with an invitation "Would you like to .... ". You bet I would.

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 08:59 AM
Back to the original question though, I would dance any style/speed with a lady of any age....I just love dancing! :waycool:
:yeah:
Although, I took a muggle to the Friday night party of the Scottish Champs and she claims to be traumatised by watching {her words, not mine:} "Grannys being raunchy" :rofl:
What makes it worse is that I'm sure she was referring to John and Hazel who won the intermediate :what:

...a few perfectly respectable ladies do approach me with an invitation "Would you like to .... ". You bet I would.
:what: you get respectable ladies at your venue?? :devil:

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 09:17 AM
:what:
This is a once in a life-time event ladies and gentlemen - mark it in your diaries as the day The Tramp said the right thing :wink:
That's so not true.

I once said something right. Back in the summer of 69 I think it was... :rolleyes:

Trampy

Bill
27th-August-2004, 01:55 PM
Although, I took a muggle to the Friday night party of the Scottish Champs and she claims to be traumatised by watching {her words, not mine:} "Grannys being raunchy" :rofl:

And I think that's a real 'problem' .....the 'muggles' see dancers of different ages getting close and might assume it's like a niteclub and everyone is getting off with each other and until they get dancing themselves this might put them off joining. Enough folk have said on different threads that age is less of an issue in mj ( at least for the majority).

A woman may be happy to dance with a man 10 or 20 years her senior if the dance is good and she feels comfortable. Regardless of age if she's not comfortable with the man she won't enjoy any UCP moves. A guy can be sleezy or creepy at 20 or 60 !

Whitebeard
27th-August-2004, 02:57 PM
muggle

Please explain.

what: you get respectable ladies at your venue?? :devil:

Of course. Outwardly they're all very repectable. (Except, perhaps, Thelma Thong.)

Whitebeard
27th-August-2004, 03:10 PM
A woman may be happy to dance with a man 10 or 20 years her senior if the dance is good and she feels comfortable.
What about 30 or 40 or even more?

Regardless of age if she's not comfortable with the man she won't enjoy any UCP moves. A guy can be sleezy or creepy at 20 or 60 !
Haven't reached a stage where I would be happy to try UCP moves.

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 03:48 PM
{Muggle}; Please explain.
a non dancer; someone who is unfamilure to the magical world of Dancing - stolen from JKRowling's Harry Potter books where a "muggle" is someone without magic. Sort of apt.

Minnie M
27th-August-2004, 06:36 PM
What about 30 or 40 or even more?

Don't worry about it Whitebeard, all the young good looking and good dancers know how old I am and they ALL dance with me - mind you I think it is more that they feel a bit sorry for the old dear :rofl: :rofl: - but what the heck - I'm not complaining :clap: :clap:

Daisy
27th-August-2004, 08:28 PM
Don't worry about it Whitebeard, all the young good looking and good dancers know how old I am and they ALL dance with me - mind you I think it is more that they feel a bit sorry for the old dear :rofl: :rofl: - but what the heck - I'm not complaining :clap: :clap:

You are so not an 'old dear' Minnie! :nice:

Men dance with you because you are a good follower and you obviously enjoy dancing.

:flower:

------------------------------------------------------------------
My taste in life is simple....I only want the best!.

DianaS
27th-August-2004, 08:39 PM
Because it would ruin the symmetry with Gus's post, thus frustrating my efforts to become (cue drum roll and dramatic lighting) The Anti-Gus... :)
I REALLY love you now
D

Whitebeard
27th-August-2004, 10:40 PM
a non dancer; someone who is unfamilure to the magical world of Dancing - stolen from JKRowling's Harry Potter books where a "muggle" is someone without magic. Sort of apt.
Thanks yet again Gadget. And, doesn't my ignorance speak volumes about the generation gap.

But, nevertheless, I've ventured into the magical world and can dream perchance of becoming the bewhiskered wizard of dance casting his spells far and wide.

Minnie M
28th-August-2004, 03:14 AM
You are so not an 'old dear' Minnie!.........

:blush: thank you for those kind words, however, it's not what my bus pass says :really:

Wanted to give you a rep for being kind - but that silly message came up :angry: does that mean you HAVE to willy nilly reps about just to give to the same person well deserved reps :mad:

JL
28th-August-2004, 03:30 PM
Ooo er...... missus! I've never done this before, new technology and all that, but I feel I have to reply to this post, despite my "Luddite" tendencies!
I'm disappointed to see that ageism is alive and kicking in the Ceroc world. I hope it's not too widespread. One of the many positive things about ceroc is that it appeals to people of all ages and all walks of life.
Everyone has something in common ie the fact that they like dancing.
Mr. Harper should remember that
a) as the man and therefore the lead it is up to him to decide the moves - the lady does not have that luxury
b) age comes to us all
c) today it's being too old - what will it be tomorrow?
being too fat - too skinny - too spotty - too bald......?

The Silver Fox.

TheTramp
29th-August-2004, 11:31 AM
being too fat
:tears:

too bald
:tears:

The Silver Fox.
Welcome to the forum writing gang Mr. Fox. Though, I think that certain ladies would have prefered some reference to the slinky hips in your name... :D

Trampy

Sparkles
29th-August-2004, 12:15 PM
Ooo er...... missus! I've never done this before, new technology and all that, but I feel I have to reply to this post, despite my "Luddite" tendencies!
I'm disappointed to see that ageism is alive and kicking in the Ceroc world. I hope it's not too widespread. One of the many positive things about ceroc is that it appeals to people of all ages and all walks of life.
Everyone has something in common ie the fact that they like dancing.
Mr. Harper should remember that
a) as the man and therefore the lead it is up to him to decide the moves - the lady does not have that luxury
b) age comes to us all
c) today it's being too old - what will it be tomorrow?
being too fat - too skinny - too spotty - too bald......?

The Silver Fox.

Receive a slap on the wrist, Mr Gadget, Sir. :mad:

Gadget
29th-August-2004, 06:21 PM

Receive a slap on the wrist, Mr Gadget, Sir. :mad:
:confused: sorry, but for what? If I'm going to enjoy a slapping, I like to know what it was for. :devil:

ElaineB
29th-August-2004, 09:35 PM

Trampy

That explains it then! :rofl:

Elaine

TheTramp
30th-August-2004, 01:28 AM
That explains it then! :rofl:
Explains what?!?! :D

Trampy

horsey_dude
30th-August-2004, 02:52 AM
For me it is when you keep tripping over your partners zimmer frame....

I do think there is really no upper limit as long as the person dancing it able bodied and fit enough but I am definately more careful (than usual) not to make any sudden or rough movements.

HD.

CJ
30th-August-2004, 09:32 AM

Trampy

Tramp, be honest!!

You're not a day under 45. Well, if looks are anything to go on...

Maybe it's these shades I'm wearing... :waycool:

jivecat
30th-August-2004, 09:56 AM
I think it depends on whether you see dancing as being mainly social or sexual in it's emphasis. If it's a social activity then age would not be much of an issue. But if the agenda is sexual, consciously or unconsciously, then people aren't going to feel comfortable dancing with someone who doesn't fit their mental idea of a suitable partner, which is going to be based at least partly on age. God, this all sounds bloody obvious.

Personally, I'd prefer to see it as a social activity, because then everything seems more relaxed and open and the dancing itself is the main shared focus. But I don't feel really comfortable dancing with blokes who are a lot younger than me i.e. half my age!! 'cos I feel sorry for them having to dance with a haggard old crinkly. And I suspect their agenda is not just a pure and spiritual love of dance!

However I notice men in their 50s regularly dancing with teenage girls, so why should I care? What's sauce for the gander should be sauce for the goose. Or something.

TheTramp
30th-August-2004, 10:26 AM
What's sauce for the gander should be sauce for the goose.
:drool:

I'm hungry now...

Trampy

Sparkles
1st-September-2004, 03:41 PM
How many years do I have left .snip. take up something more fitting, like maybe ballroom? :(

Grrr :angry: Whoever told you ballroom dancig was for older people has obviously never seen it, done it, or been to the Ballroom Blitz!

:confused: sorry, but for what? If I'm going to enjoy a slapping, I like to know what it was for. :devil:

I'm sure I can think of an excuse if you'd like me to :rolleyes: :wink:

Lisa
1st-September-2004, 04:01 PM
I went ballroom dancing in my mid 20's for a couple of years with my ex... everyone who was in the class was over 60! We had some great laughs with some lovely people so age really DOES NOT matter!!!!!

Zoom 5 years later, I dragged a male friend this week to a beginners class and over 60 people were there! Over half of them were under 25! It was great to see what a positive effect the Strictly Come Dancing show has had on the ballroom and latin image! It'd be great to see something similar for MJ on TV!

Lisa x

Rhythm King
1st-September-2004, 04:12 PM
I went ballroom dancing in my mid 20's for a couple of years with my ex... everyone who was in the class was over 60! We had some great laughs with some lovely people so age really DOES NOT matter!!!!!

Zoom 5 years later, I dragged a male friend this week to a beginners class and over 60 people were there! Over half of them were under 25! It was great to see what a positive effect the Strictly Come Dancing show has had on the ballroom and latin image! It'd be great to see something similar for MJ on TV!

Lisa x
Hi Lisa - how're you doing? haven't danced with you in months - are you coming down to Hipsters again, soon?

I'm not a ballroom dancer but I went to The Ballroom Blitz, at The Royal Festival Hall this Monday and saw people of ages taking part and having fun. I was even whisked around the floor by some patient, back-leading ladies (some of whom are Forumites - Thanks :flower: ) I've got my first proper ballroom lesson in less than two hours and I'm really looking forward to it.

R-K x

Dreadful Scathe
1st-September-2004, 04:44 PM
I went ballroom dancing in my mid 20's for a couple of years with my ex... everyone who was in the class was over 60!

Mid-20's ..... I thought you still were in your mid-20s ?

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 04:49 PM
It was great to see what a positive effect the Strictly Come Dancing show has had on the ballroom and latin image! It'd be great to see something similar for MJ on TV!

I was led to believe (by the Ceroc Championships website), that the BBC were filming the competition back in May, with a view to airing it on SCD. Indeed Justin Lee Colins was there on the day, but alas there was no footage of MJ whatsoever - and I saw every aired programme (including the weekday BBC 3 schedules). :sad:

There can be no doubt though, that SCD has done wonders for bringing partner dancing to the general public, so a big 'step' in the right direction there ! :clap:

Lisa
2nd-September-2004, 02:14 PM
Hiya R-K,

I'm really embarrassed to say that I need to put your face to Rhythm-King forum name! I'll feel even more embarrassed when it does click in my head and I realise who you are! Shona and Sal were raving about you.. "You've gotta know Richard!" I’m about 65% sure I know who you are Vital Stats are needed! Tall short...? Into drama?

I might well be back in London before Christmas… but not sure when yet. If I can make it back I will. So I’d like lots of dances please! I had a fabulous time in June. I was worried that I wouldn’t know anyone but luckily I was kept so busy on the dance floor it was great!

Hey are you going to the B.F.G? Or the next Aberdeen Beach Ballroom? That is the best dance venue in the UK IMHO! Go on go on go on… dancing in Scotland is fantastic!

Lisa x

Lisa
2nd-September-2004, 02:17 PM
You charmer!!! Still, I don't feel a day over 21!

Lisa x

Bill
2nd-September-2004, 04:08 PM

You crawler........................ :whistle:

See marriage hasn't blunted that razor sharp mind or scintilating wit :wink:

Rhythm King
2nd-September-2004, 04:50 PM
Hiya R-K,

I'm really embarrassed to say that I need to put your face to Rhythm-King forum name! I'll feel even more embarrassed when it does click in my head and I realise who you are! Shona and Sal were raving about you.. "You've gotta know Richard!" I’m about 65% sure I know who you are Vital Stats are needed! Tall short...? Into drama?

I might well be back in London before Christmas… but not sure when yet. If I can make it back I will. So I’d like lots of dances please! I had a fabulous time in June. I was worried that I wouldn’t know anyone but luckily I was kept so busy on the dance floor it was great!

Hey are you going to the B.F.G? Or the next Aberdeen Beach Ballroom? That is the best dance venue in the UK IMHO! Go on go on go on… dancing in Scotland is fantastic!

Lisa x

6'2", dark hair, Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms as well as the H place. And came dancing in Scotland last week - it was fab. :clap: :cheers:
I'll be at the BFG too

See you then

R-K x

TheTramp
3rd-September-2004, 02:47 AM
6'2", dark hair, Beach Boogie and Rock Bottoms as well as the H place. And came dancing in Scotland last week - it was fab. :clap: :cheers:
I'll be at the BFG too

See you then

R-K x
And Southport the weekend before that.....

Trampy

drathzel
3rd-September-2004, 08:38 AM
And Southport the weekend before that.....

Trampy

Do you all just travel from one event to the next? mmmm sounds like a plan!!

TheTramp
3rd-September-2004, 09:06 AM
Do you all just travel from one event to the next? mmmm sounds like a plan!!
Pretty much. And I don't see the problem with that.

There's probably still places left on the Southport weekend, the weekend before the BFG, if you hurry!! :D

Lots of people from Scotland going!!

Trampy

Lisa
3rd-September-2004, 09:23 AM
D'oh!!! :blush: :blush: I really shouldn't read and write in a hurry! :rofl: (esp since my brain is skewed towards science and numbers!)

Guess we'll be dancing soon R-K. :clap:

Lisa x

Rhythm King
3rd-September-2004, 10:44 AM
Certainly do! Hope to meet you for a dance soon

R-K

drathzel
3rd-September-2004, 04:54 PM
Pretty much. And I don't see the problem with that.

There's probably still places left on the Southport weekend, the weekend before the BFG, if you hurry!! :D

Lots of people from Scotland going!!

Trampy

I would like to but i am booked up till after the BFG!!! Away this weekend.....home next...out the my friends the next...BFG the next!!!!! :clap:

SteveB
4th-September-2004, 12:34 AM
No one is ever too old for dancing, that is why its dancing! Its for everyone not just the young, or middle aged! The best dancers are sometimes older, they can teach you a hell of a lot. Have some respect.

Minnie M
4th-September-2004, 12:58 AM
No one is ever too old for dancing, that is why its dancing! Its for everyone not just the young, or middle aged! The best dancers are sometimes older, they can teach you a hell of a lot. Have some respect.
:yeah: :flower:

Missy D
4th-September-2004, 09:07 PM
So guess i must have look ancient on sunday as i never even got a look in on sunday! :sad:

TheTramp
4th-September-2004, 11:32 PM
So guess i must have look ancient on sunday as i never even got a look in on sunday! :sad:
Nah. You looked great. I missed out on the chance to get a dance :( Hopefully soon though (are you coming up for the BFG???).

Trampy

Gojive
9th-September-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm not a ballroom dancer but I went to The Ballroom Blitz, at The Royal Festival Hall this Monday and saw people of ages taking part and having fun. I was even whisked around the floor by some patient, back-leading ladies (some of whom are Forumites - Thanks :flower: ) I've got my first proper ballroom lesson in less than two hours and I'm really looking forward to it.

R-K x

High R-K. I have a colleague at work who wants to take up ballroom dancing. She lives in Brentford, and is looking for somewhere reasonably close (anywhere West London area really). Was just wondering where you went? :)

ps, did you get my return pm re flying? I was still finding my way around the forum, so I don't know if I hit the right t**! :blush: