PDA

View Full Version : Twyford Summer Ball - Sat 28th Aug!!! (DWAS Comp)

Bex
23rd-August-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi All,

Just to let you know about the Summer Ball at Loddon Hall, Twyford (Reading) this Saturday 28th August, 8.00pm till late!! We've got a 'Dance with a Stranger competition' with David & Lily Barker judging (to name but a few), loads of freestyle on one of the best floors around, free car parking, great bar, complimentary tea, coffee and cookies and fantastic music!

No dress theme, just 'Dress to Impress', £8.00 on the door.

Hope can make it!! :cheers:

Bex

TheTramp
23rd-August-2004, 04:05 PM
I'll be there. Will try to stop dancing long enough to get some cookies this time!!!

Can't wait... :D

Trampy

Divissima
23rd-August-2004, 05:06 PM
Should be a fantastic night :clap:

ElaineB
23rd-August-2004, 05:18 PM
From Bristol there will be: Simon Arundel, Simon Bowker, Mark James, Janice, Laili and me!! Also possibly Mark and Jackie from Cardiff!

See you there!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elaine

DavidB
23rd-August-2004, 05:52 PM
Will try to stop dancing long enough to get some cookies this time!!!Will usually manages to eat all the cookies while he is dancing.

Simon r
23rd-August-2004, 06:40 PM
looking forward to seeing all you guys there
hey trampy leave some cookies :grin: for me

Mary
23rd-August-2004, 09:20 PM
We'll be there but not till later (bl**dy work again). Keep Will away from those cookies. And I hope this illustrious line-up of dancers with save some dances for us!!

See you all there - ready to sparkle big time luvs. (well, OK maybe the odd shimmer)

M

Sheepman
24th-August-2004, 12:07 PM
Will usually manages to eat all the cookies while he is dancing. Does he do that in one go, or is biting involved? Do they go in sideways or vertically? (For those that don't know, we are talking about seriously big cookies here.)

I will stand well clear of any crumb shower :sick:

Greg

Emma
24th-August-2004, 01:09 PM
Just found out I've got a lift, so I'm going!! Yay! :D

Dan Hudson
24th-August-2004, 01:57 PM
Heard a rumour that I might be there too.... :whistle:

:clap: :clap:

We are taking a mini bus from SE London, there are a few spaces if anyone wants lift?? Let me know...the more we get the cheaper the journey!! :flower:

Simon r
25th-August-2004, 06:18 PM
Just found out I've got a lift, so I'm going!! Yay! :D
would be great to meet you can i book a dance now :whistle:

Daisy
25th-August-2004, 06:25 PM
Does he do that in one go, or is biting involved? Do they go in sideways or vertically? (For those that don't know, we are talking about seriously big cookies here.)

I will stand well clear of any crumb shower :sick:

Greg

Having witnessed a doughnut eating competition, prior to one of Amir's tea dances one Sunday afternoon this summer, I would say that you really have to watch out for Chris A!! :whistle:

He wasted all the competition by demolishing his doughnut in one gulp, without much chewing and very little left over evidence! :worthy:

I seen similar jaw dislocating methods used before but they are usually on something that David Attenborough is presenting! :sick:

Why don't they have a similar competition after the DWAS?

What could it be called? Any suggestions?

What about the marshmallows in the mouth thing.........after every newly inserted MM you have to say

FLUFFY BUNNIES :rofl:

Could be entertaining.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My taste in life is simple.....I only want the best!

Lory
25th-August-2004, 06:34 PM
What about the marshmallows in the mouth thing.........after every newly inserted MM you have to say

FLUFFY BUNNIES :rofl:
I had a dream once, that I swallowed a giant Marshmallow, when I woke up, the pillow was gone! :eek:

:rolleyes: :blush:

Simon r
25th-August-2004, 06:37 PM
I had a dream once, that I swallowed a giant Marshmallow, when I woke up, the pillow was gone! :eek:

:rolleyes: :blush:
i bet you were spitting feathers :D

Emma
25th-August-2004, 09:46 PM
would be great to meet you can i book a dance now :whistle:Consider it booked...:) Will you be carrying a copy of Punch and wearing a red carnation? ;)

Nicola
26th-August-2004, 11:05 AM
Sounds like it's going to be a good'un!! Yay :clap:
Meet you all there, I hope
X

Will
26th-August-2004, 02:02 PM
As a regular competitor in dance events, I appreciate how important it is to understand the judging criteria when competing, and how frustrating it is when you don't have this.

I am judging the DWAS at Twyford on Saturday and so with the above paragraph in mind, I am now posting MY personal judging criteria so that no-one is in any doubt what I am looking for....

Marks will be awarded for :-

- Bringing a bottle of Australian Shiraz to the judging table
- Any move performed close enough to DavidB when he is moving around the floor judging, that he has to jump out of the way (bonus points for clobbering him with a spare arm!)
- A "Bogo-Pogo" (See Strictly Ballroom)
- Comsuming food or drink during your heat - (this will be worth alot of marks)
- Awarding me lots of Positive Rep points on the forum
- Signing a condolences card for Lily's favourite Lavendar bush that David most ruthlessly destroyed!
- Providing me with DavidB's password to this forum :wink:

Marks will be deducted for :-

- Performing "The Doughnut" (Beginners move - too easy)
- Getting the Tramp as your partner

TheTramp
26th-August-2004, 03:18 PM
:yeah: Rep sent!! :whistle:

Trampy

Andy McGregor
26th-August-2004, 03:23 PM
I think that whoever the Tramp gets should also do the Jive Masters with him the following day :devil:

Peter
26th-August-2004, 04:10 PM
Marks will be awarded for :- [/b] ... - Awarding me lots of Positive Rep points on the forum

Anyone know how to buck the rep system into giving multiple named rep to one person?

Will
26th-August-2004, 04:23 PM
Anyone know how to buck the rep system into giving multiple named rep to one person?

Congratulations on reaching the final Peter.

ChrisA
26th-August-2004, 05:25 PM
Congratulations on reaching the final Peter.

Will, please could you provide additional guidance on how to win the aforementioned comp without actually being present?

Regrettably I won't be able to be there to defend my title, but it seems a shame to let a little thing like that spoil my chances.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Sparkles
26th-August-2004, 06:40 PM
I think that whoever the Tramp gets should also do the Jive Masters with him the following day :devil:

I can't believe you'd actually wish that upon anyone!

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 08:37 AM
I can't believe you'd actually wish that upon anyone!
Gee. Thanks.

Nice to know who your friends are(n't)!! :tears:

:rolleyes:

Trampy

Dan Hudson
27th-August-2004, 09:07 AM
I hope I get Trampy! :really:

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 09:09 AM
Why thank you kind sir. Who's leading?? :D

Trampy

Dan Hudson
27th-August-2004, 09:15 AM
you.. i wanna be your bitch :rofl:

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 09:24 AM
Can't we share??

Trampy

RobC
27th-August-2004, 09:39 AM
you.. i wanna be your bitch :rofl:
So how does that work when Steve is already Andy's Gimp ?

Andy McGregor
27th-August-2004, 10:01 AM
So how does that work when Steve is already Andy's Gimp ?

As everyone knows, "Bitch" is senior to "Gimp" :eek:

Simon r
27th-August-2004, 01:13 PM
As a regular competitor in dance events, I appreciate how important it is to understand the judging criteria when competing, and how frustrating it is when you don't have this.

I am judging the DWAS at Twyford on Saturday and so with the above paragraph in mind, I am now posting MY personal judging criteria so that no-one is in any doubt what I am looking for....

Marks will be awarded for :-

- Bringing a bottle of Australian Shiraz to the judging table
- Any move performed close enough to DavidB when he is moving around the floor judging, that he has to jump out of the way (bonus points for clobbering him with a spare arm!)
- A "Bogo-Pogo" (See Strictly Ballroom)
- Comsuming food or drink during your heat - (this will be worth alot of marks)
- Awarding me lots of Positive Rep points on the forum
- Signing a condolences card for Lily's favourite Lavendar bush that David most ruthlessly destroyed!
- Providing me with DavidB's password to this forum :wink:

Marks will be deducted for :-

- Performing "The Doughnut" (Beginners move - too easy)
- Getting the Tramp as your partner
By the way i am judging as well and expect the same ....
but more than will... :cheers:

ji vep
27th-August-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi All,

Looking forward to a good Twyford tomorrow .

Save me some cookies

Paul :cheers:

Zebra Woman
27th-August-2004, 05:06 PM
Miss Conduct and I will be there. Save us some cookies... :cheers:

RobC
27th-August-2004, 05:16 PM
Miss Conduct and I will be there. Save us some cookies... :cheers:
Sounds like it's going to be a bit crowded. Is the room going to be big enough for Trampy and me in the same room ?

I know, why don't we hold the JiveMasters heat tomorrow and save time on sunday. Sounds like we're all going to be there :whistle:

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 05:28 PM
I know, why don't we hold the JiveMasters heat tomorrow and save time on sunday. Sounds like we're all going to be there :whistle:
Well. I'm hoping that Kate will make it along to Twyford (though, I'm not saying anything about getting some practise in, else Sheena will accuse me of being Bill again!!).

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
27th-August-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm not saying anything about getting some practise in, else Sheena will accuse me of being Bill again!!).

:rofl: :rofl:

Emma
29th-August-2004, 01:48 PM
What a fab night last night - thanks Billco and crew :clap: :clap: It was great to put faces (and dances! ) to another crop of forumites I've not met before, and to see those I have...I had some truly *fabby* dances with those forumized and yet to be forumized :grin: Good cookies, too. The music wasn't half bad either ;)

Will..the 'lavender bush on the head' look is an unusual one, but you carried it off with panache...stick with it.

Divissima
29th-August-2004, 03:11 PM
It was such a fabulous night - so many people there and everyone having a great time. The music was great - Dan the Body played a fantastic set :worthy:

And congratulations to the mighty Phil Webb and Laili on a great win in the DWAS competition.

Gus
29th-August-2004, 04:53 PM
- Dan the Body played a fantastic set :.

Dan Baines now DJs at Twyford?? :wink:

TheTramp
29th-August-2004, 04:57 PM
Dan Baines now DJs at Twyford?? :wink:
No. I think that you're thinking of Dan the Man. Or Ban the Dan. Or something.... :whistle:

Great night last night. Had a wicked time. You're going to have to get them to enlarge the hall though!!!

Trampy

ji vep
29th-August-2004, 06:19 PM
HI ALL,

Twyford was awesome last night, i had loads of great dances and the competiton was a hard one to judge. Well done to everyone , and Phil/ Lali who won in the end (Great Trophy's Bill) but everyone was great to watch.

Music was fabulous, Dan Hudson and Toby Cross were on form so keep it up guys.

Great to catch up with loads of people but unfortunately no time to dance with all, so sorry jane and Nicole .

If Will is reading, thanks for trying to make me look feminine with all the lifts when we did our judges dance (unforgetable). :grin:

Big thanks to Bill and Bex, great hosts :waycool:

Take care

Paul H :cheers:

ElaineB
29th-August-2004, 09:04 PM
Brilliant night last night!!

Thanks Billco for being such a good host and for the dances!!

Thirteen of us came over from Bristol last night and for the very first time. Congratulations to Laili (from Bristol!) and Phil for winning the DWAS comp. also to my man Simon, and Alison for coming joint second. What a fantastic standard in the final! :worthy:

The atmosphere was fantastic and I had some wonderful dances with complete strangers and some more familiar dancers! David B - as ever a pleasure - leading me without any hand hold for part of the dance was just awesome!! :worthy:

Everyone was so friendly, so it was shame that the evening was marred for one of our party - she had her purse stolen! If the b**tard who knicked it is reading this, I would just like to let you know that you stole from a single parent who is struggling to bring up two small children. To get to the dance last night meant that she had to juggle with her finances to save the money to come. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The evening started well though, as we were treated to a view of Will changing his trousers and showing off his white boxers.. :rofl: :rofl: We had just parked our car and walked past a window ........and there was Will, in all his glory! Thank you for making a couples of lasses from Bristol very happy! :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yes and Toby - I covert your jacket!!! Gooood music guys!

Elaine

TheTramp
30th-August-2004, 01:05 AM
Everyone was so friendly, so it was shame that the evening was marred for one of our party - she had her purse stolen! If the b**tard who knicked it is reading this, I would just like to let you know that you stole from a single parent who is struggling to bring up two small children. To get to the dance last night meant that she had to juggle with her finances to save the money to come. :mad: :mad: :mad:
It's a shame that someone has to come along and turn such a friendly atmosphere into one where people start looking at each other wondering who'd do something like that.

If you ever catch the person responsible Bill, I'll gladly take a swing with the baseball bat when you hang him/her in a sack from the ceiling...

Trampy

Mary
30th-August-2004, 01:36 PM

Elaine

This really saddens me. I've always liked to thing that at any MJ event anywhere in the country they are always honest and fair people that attend, and one's personal belongings are always safe. However, if those side doors were open to let some air in it's always possible that someone hanging around outside may have stolen it. There are some kids that sometimes hang out round there. I would really hate to think it was someone at the venue.

I also hope it hasn't put your friend off coming back again - it's one of my (if not the) favourite venues I go to.

We only got there for the last hour or so, but it looks like Bill & Bex had a real hit. Great people and great dances.

M

Simon
30th-August-2004, 07:45 PM
Had heard that Twyford was the new Hipsters, so thought it was worth a try. Can't say I was disappointed in the least. :waycool: Top night. :grin: Really enjoyed the music and the lovely floor. :clap: The tea and cookies at midnight were spot on, too.

On top of all that, the journey home was about half an hour shorter than the usual trek to Ealing or Hammersmith, which was appreciated in the early hours race home!

Not happy that my friend Leah had her purse stolen, though. :angry: Attending the new venue for the first time, I was a bit twitchy about my belongings, and kept checking my bag throughout the lesson as some guys chose, rather oddly, to sit themselves amongst existing groups that they weren't part of. :confused:

Will be back, though. :clap:

Zebra Woman
30th-August-2004, 09:22 PM
What a brilliant night!! Great music and dancing and very smoothly organised..well done everyone. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I wanted the cookies really I did, but the music was too good to miss, so I just had to keep dancing .
The only problem was I could hardly hear the music in the last half hour. I kept losing the beat 'cos it was so quiet.

TwK, does it have to be that quiet?

Graham W
30th-August-2004, 09:51 PM
Thks for lift Elaine & Si A - twas a worthy nite... x

Bex
31st-August-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi All,

Glad so many of you enjoyed Saturday Night, Bill and I were really pleased to evening went smoothly and great to see so many familiar faces, just a shame about the purse being pinched at the end, would love to get my hands on that person! :angry: :angry:

I thought the DWAS competition was an extremely high standard, I was just pleased that I didn’t have to judge it!! A huge thank you though to the judges, Will, Kate, Lily, David, Simon, Nicole, Paul and Nicola for doing such a sterling job! Thought the Judges freestyle was fab especially when David B tried to do an aerial on Simon :rofl:

Well done to Phil and Laili for winning the DWAS and also to our joint second places, Simon & Alison and Ray & Jo!! :worthy: I must admit I was a bit worried in case the lovely 13 year old won as we only had wine as prizes (would have had to ask him to give it to his Mum!! What a fab little dancer he was though, definitely think we’ll be seeing a lot more of him in the future, fantastic!

Last but by no means least, thanks to TWK and Dan the Man for playing some brilliant music during the evening and thank you to Julie (on the door), Diva, Jason, Jo and Fi for sorting all the tea’s and cookies!! :hug:

See ya soon!
Bex

PS. To answer an earlier post, yes the music was quiet for the last half hour but it was a chill down session and the only way we could get away with playing music after midnight :flower: !!

Simon r
31st-August-2004, 01:28 PM
Had heard that Twyford was the new Hipsters, so thought it was worth a try. Can't say I was disappointed in the least. :waycool: Top night. :grin: Really enjoyed the music and the lovely floor. :clap: The tea and cookies at midnight were spot on, too.

Thanks mate that is great to hear these sort of comments see you again soon :cheers:

Graham W
1st-September-2004, 12:01 AM
oh yea, well done L.

Bex
16th-September-2004, 05:29 PM
For those of you who made it along to the Summer Ball on 28th August, the DVD of the evening is now available!! It has 45 mins of video featuring the Class, all the Dance with a Stranger heats including the final, still photo’s and even the judges strutting their stuff.

If you would like a copy please email phil@photo-cookery.com or pop along to Twyford this Friday where Phil will also be selling them at £6.00 each.

Divissima
21st-September-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm looking forward to the next Twyford Freestyle night this Saturday - hope to see loads of people there.

Got lots of dances to make up for - I didn't even manage a dance with Spindr last time - and he is one of my favourites.... :tears:

latinlover
21st-September-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm looking forward to the next Twyford Freestyle night this Saturday - hope to see loads of people there.

Got lots of dances to make up for - I didn't even manage a dance with Spindr last time - and he is one of my favourites.... :tears:

save one for me.. :drool: please - I missed you at the last T jive and twyford last friday :tears:
hmmm ...nice new avatar..... I wonder why? :wink: