PDA

View Full Version : So, which bit of you dances first?

Sparkles
18th-August-2004, 07:13 PM
Whenever I hear a good piece of music my hips start to wiggle (no comments please! :really: ), but from what I've seen this isn't the case for everyone, and there seems to be a distinct split between men and women...
... so does music get your toes tapping or your head nodding? Let's find out...

Lory
18th-August-2004, 07:29 PM
Whenever I hear a good piece of music my hips start to wiggle (no comments please! :really: ), but from what I've seen this isn't the case for everyone, and there seems to be a destinct split between men and women...
... so does music get your toes tapping or your head nodding? Let's find out...
I've just done an experiment :D and if I'm sitting down, 1 foot taps, along with a slight head nod :rofl: but if I'm standing up, then my hips wiggle :confused: :rofl:

Lynn
18th-August-2004, 08:32 PM
I've just done an experiment :D and if I'm sitting down, 1 foot taps, along with a slight head nod ... Good point on the sitting down/standing up thing. If I'm sitting down its my shoulders - I actually noticed this sitting at traffic lights in the car on the way home tonight (probably got some odd looks if anyone noticed but who cares?!).
...but if I'm standing up, then my hips wiggle Yep, me too.

Tiggerbabe
18th-August-2004, 09:29 PM
And me :clap: hips first - then the shoulders, head, the feet, a wee shimmy - everything really :wink: My hips go even when I'm sitting down :rofl:

bigdjiver
18th-August-2004, 10:16 PM
I thought about my response whilst just looking at the thread title, and came up with the answer "heart". The feet are next, and the trouble begins ...

Sparkles
18th-August-2004, 11:38 PM
DS, just out of curiosity, how can you say everything on the list (including the final option?!) ??? :confused: :what: :wink: :rolleyes:

Something tells me this poll is not being taken seriously...! :whistle:

foxylady
19th-August-2004, 12:05 AM
I've just done an experiment :D and if I'm sitting down, 1 foot taps, along with a slight head nod :rofl: but if I'm standing up, then my hips wiggle :confused: :rofl:

Ditto !! :yeah:

Kay
19th-August-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm with you girls, but on the whole my hips always start first - they seem to have a mind of their own :wink:

Flash
19th-August-2004, 10:36 AM
I think I seem to have a whole body sway kind of thing, led by hips??

Lory
19th-August-2004, 11:59 AM
Since my last quote, I've carried out some more indepth research! (where's the nerd smiley?) :whistle: :D

Whilst (sitting) listening to a random selection of tunes on my PC, I've discovered that my movements are 'naturally' quite different depending on the track! :na:

Natalie Cole - this will be...................... Head sway, with a sideway's nod to each beat

George Benson - Breezin................... a sort of double head nod :what:

Carla Cook - Where or when................... Smooth sway :waycool:

Bette Midler - Stuff like that there! ........ Woooooooo...., I had the whole variety going on to that one! Including some 'bum clenching' bounces :eek: :rofl: And get this..... I can do alternate cheeks, one at a time or both together! :wink: :rofl:

Rhythm King
19th-August-2004, 12:19 PM
It depends on the type of music and whether or not I'm sitting or standing, but the one thing I can't do is stay still!

Standing, it's the legs and feet moving upwards until the whole lot is going (as anyone who has seen me dancing round my local supermarket with a trolley will testify - their muzak has some cool tunes :blush: )

Sitting down, it's the hands working up to the shoulders.

Driving, it's a nod of the head, and finger tapping on the steering wheel, followed thereafter by singing. This can be embarrassing, particularly in good weather as Car is convertible and that means I'm serenading half of London with my caterwauling. If you have heard me, I'm hugely apologetic :flower: . If you haven't, you're lucky. (Dear Agony Smurf, I'm a music/dance -aholic, please can you help?)

latinlover
19th-August-2004, 12:42 PM
..........: And get this..... I can do alternate cheeks, one at a time or both together! :wink: :rofl:

please.....
Lory, some of us have to work .....................:drool: :devil:

and in case anybody's interested, it's hips & shoulders simultaneously with me

Sheepman
19th-August-2004, 12:46 PM
And get this..... I can do alternate cheeks, one at a time or both together! :wink: :rofl: :worthy: :worthy:
Whilst (sitting) listening to a random selection of tunes on my PC, I've discovered that my movements are 'naturally' quite different depending on the track! : I was just going to mention musical interpretation in this thread, and you beat me to it, (sitting down) with some laid back jazzy blues it starts with the shoulders, works it way from side to side to up and down, front and back, body ripples, the head going, legs arms - it's getting a bit difficult to type. (FYI it's "Blues For Sandy" from the "Best Of British Jazz" that's doing this.)
Now it's more trad blues - and it's one side of my body that's going up and down, now it's spreading - the body ripples, and there's the break - got to get low down. Wow that's a nice laid back track, new to me (The Blues Took Me By the Hand by Eddie Martin).

If it's RnB (modern) it tends to be more stocatto, but I find it also depends on how you're sitting, if you're laid back and comfortable, then it might just be the feet going, sitting at my PC there is more freedom to move! But if the track really moves me then I just have to get up and frighten the neighbours!

Greg

DavidB
19th-August-2004, 01:33 PM
Tapping fingers definitely. (Then again when I dance the movement rarely extends past my wrist anyway.)

And one not on the list - chewing gum in time with the music!

Lory
19th-August-2004, 01:47 PM
And one not on the list - chewing gum in time with the music!Ugh! :sick: A personal all time pet hate of mine! Especially if its done with the mouth open! :tears:

Sal
19th-August-2004, 02:01 PM
Including some 'bum clenching' bounces :eek: :rofl: And get this..... I can do alternate cheeks, one at a time or both together! :wink: :rofl:

:clap: I do that, and wiggle my hips at the same time! I have never really thought about what it looks like from behind! :blush:

Trish
19th-August-2004, 04:36 PM
Natalie Cole - this will be...................... Head sway, with a sideway's nod to each beat

George Benson - Breezin................... a sort of double head nod :what:

Carla Cook - Where or when................... Smooth sway :waycool:

Bette Midler - Stuff like that there! ........ Woooooooo...., I had the whole variety going on to that one! Including some 'bum clenching' bounces :eek: :rofl: And get this..... I can do alternate cheeks, one at a time or both together! :wink: :rofl:

Sounds like an interesting CD - what's that then?!

I agree with you now that I have also done some nerdy research! Seems to depend on the track.

Dave
19th-August-2004, 04:41 PM
I have never really thought about what it looks like from behind! :blush:

Well Sal, in the pursuit of science..... :devil:

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 05:07 PM
And one not on the list - chewing gum in time with the music!

It's even worse when their chewining is unrelated to the music: do I dance to the music or the chewing :sick:

baldrick
21st-August-2004, 12:50 PM
It the Hips, the hips I tell you. Having taken ages to develop a wiggle during an abortive attempt to learn Salsa. Now I've got a wiggle it gets loose at every oppertunity. And woe betide the one who tries to stop me. :D

Tiggerbabe
21st-August-2004, 01:07 PM
woe betide the one who tries to stop me. :D
Baldrick :hug: it's such a cute wiggle, why on earth would anyone want to stop you? :wink:

baldrick
21st-August-2004, 01:09 PM
Baldrick :hug: it's such a cute wiggle, why on earth would anyone want to stop you? :wink:
Just wait till you see it with a kilt :whistle:

Sal
21st-August-2004, 05:09 PM
Well Sal, in the pursuit of science..... :devil:

That's the last time you get to stand behind me!

Sparkles
21st-August-2004, 05:25 PM
It the Hips, the hips I tell you. Having taken ages to develop a wiggle during an abortive attempt to learn Salsa. Now I've got a wiggle it gets loose at every oppertunity. And woe betide the one who tries to stop me. :D

Who are you?
I have to meet you!!
Please will you dance with me??? :drool:

baldrick
21st-August-2004, 06:46 PM
Who are you?
I have to meet you!!
Please will you dance with me??? :drool:

:grin:
Hello Sparkles, I'm Baldrick, yes honest everybody calls me that. Have to meet me? Better get myself booked into BFG sharpish. Of course I'll dance with you, but be gentle with me. I've not been doing this long. :flower:

Sparkles
21st-August-2004, 09:14 PM
:grin:
Hello Sparkles, I'm Baldrick, yes honest everybody calls me that. Have to meet me? Better get myself booked into BFG sharpish. Of course I'll dance with you, but be gentle with me. I've not been doing this long. :flower:

Yes! Book yourself into the BFG! :clap:
I'm so looking forward to meeting you and dancing with you! I'll make you a deal, I'll promise to be gentle with you if you'll promise to be gentle with me :cheers:
Nice to chat to you, Baldrick. I hope to meet you soon!
S. x

baldrick
21st-August-2004, 10:17 PM
Yes! Book yourself into the BFG! :clap:
I'm so looking forward to meeting you and dancing with you! I'll make you a deal, I'll promise to be gentle with you if you'll promise to be gentle with me :cheers:
Nice to chat to you, Baldrick. I hope to meet you soon!
S. x

Always gentle, mostly clear, and sometimes I know what's coming next.
Looking forward to a dance ;)

Yliander
22nd-August-2004, 12:19 PM
starts with shoulders and works it's way via my hips to the rest of me :D

Gadget
23rd-August-2004, 12:53 PM
FWIW, for me it's somewhere just below my shoulder-blades; that moves and the rest of the body is puppeted from it.