PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc Fundamentalists v Ceroc Assassins

Gus
18th-August-2004, 10:40 AM
Looking back over some of the (not so witty) repartee over the last 12 months ... there seems to be regular outbreaks of forum violence between the PRO Ceroc (fundamentalists) and the ANTI Ceroc (assassins). I'm not talking about the healthy debate were we discuss differences/gripes etc ... but where statements are twisted and people make accusations which are far removed form the original thread or postings.

In the early halcyon days of this Forum probably the two worst offenders of this were myself and Will ( :blush: ). For some reason we got at each others throats without really listening to what each other was trying to say. I was coming from my experience of having a rough time from being both within Ceroc then on the receiving end of them, and Will had come form a point where Ceroc had been very good for him and had seen barbarians trying to damage Ceroc for commercial gain. In the end we talked out our differences and we have a far better understanding or each other and I'd now like to think we are mates.

However, some recent exchanges have far surpassed any of the old spats that occurred. Think back as to those who blindly and aggressively defend Ceroc .. yup, a few names come to mind. Then think about those who will take any opportunity to have a go ... a few more names pop up. Can we all just agree that there are those who (for their own reasons) either like or dislike Ceroc ... that’s just human nature. Thats acceptable. What is not acceptable is for those who are looking for 'Reds under the bed' who constantly twist and turn peoples statements into something different. I admit that my mind has been focused on this subject by one individual who seems to have a vendetta ... who has consistently ignored point blank question and seems only to exist to imply that statements are made only to attack Ceroc or for self gain ... yeah ... you know who your are Messer 'fluff’ Ball :mad::flower:

A forum exists for healthy debate to promote understanding and knowledge .. .this cannot happen where statements made in good faith are constantly ridiculed with having secret agendas or self interest. Lets keep debates to what is written and not to what people think has been written. Lets keep the personal animosity off the forum and, if it must take place, keep it to PMs. Fair comment?

Dreadful Scathe
18th-August-2004, 10:52 AM
Very fair, but theres not that much of it, we have a fairly idylic forum all things considered. I think its also true that this forum ,and forums in general, are perceived differently by different people and some people come onto vent their rage, and in order to use the forum as an easy stress relief, they read between the lines of posts and make wild assumptions about what the poster meant - it then seems to be compulsory to get overly angry about the perceived insult.
Like I said though. it happens a LOT more on other forums. There has been a few good ones on here though :).

"So you mentioned Ceroc and Average in the same sentance??!? Are you serious Ceroc taught you everything you know / you'd be nowhere without Ceroc / biting the hand that feeds you / i hate you / you suck / etc...

... thats why theres an Agony Smurf column, these people need help :)

Sheepman
18th-August-2004, 12:21 PM
Messer 'fluff’ Ball Hmm, I think that could lead to a case of mistaken identity :what:

Lets keep the personal animosity off the forum and, if it must take place, keep it to PMs. Fair comment? Seems fair enough, but it can get entertaining at times (and boring at other times.) Hopefully most readers are intelligent enough to come to their own conclusions when the spats get going.

Gus, I think a few specific examples would have helped here, not everyone reads everything posted, and those that do :innocent: probably have fried brains :whistle:

Greg

bigdjiver
18th-August-2004, 01:00 PM
... What is not acceptable is for those who are looking for 'Reds under the bed' who constantly twist and turn peoples statements into something different. I admit that my mind has been focused on this subject by one individual who seems to have a vendetta ... who has consistently ignored point blank question and seems only to exist to imply that statements are made only to attack Ceroc or for self gain ... yeah ... you know who your are Messer 'fluff’ Ball :mad::flower:
A forum exists for healthy debate to promote understanding and knowledge .. .this cannot happen where statements made in good faith are constantly ridiculed with having secret agendas or self interest. Lets keep debates to what is written and not to what people think has been written. Lets keep the personal animosity off the forum and, if it must take place, keep it to PMs. Fair comment? It is mostly I (AKA fluff ball) that is the target for your spleen. I am pro MJ, rather than pro Ceroc. My early MJ experience was divided between Le Jive and Ceroc. I try not to criticise unless I can suggest a better way. I post my suggestions for improvements here where I know they can be read by anybody.

I have posted my reasons for my objections. I have nothing against you at all, I probably would not recognise you. There is no personal animosity involved. It is behaviours I attack, not people. You seem to have some perception that Ceroc has treated / is mistreating you , badly. If I knew enough about it I, and felt you were right, I would be right in there with my opinions on that too.

What I took severe objection to was your implication that Ceroc were overcharging for inferior workshops, now continued by your implication that they can only "get away with it" (my words) because they lack competition. I learned most of my MJ from Sylvia and Hannah at Bromley, and Phil and Michaela here at Ceroc Central, all top class, and more than capable of meeting most dancers needs, and, from only a little experience, I know Emma is too. So, what would have been wrong with a simple, plug-free, opinion free, question on workshop pricing? Why the sub-texts?

philsmove
18th-August-2004, 02:07 PM
Lets keep the personal animosity off the forum
:clap: :yeah: :clap:

unfortunately people can take offence when no offence was intended

Dreadful Scathe
18th-August-2004, 03:10 PM
are you saying i take offense easily ? :angry:

sorry :blush:

CJ
18th-August-2004, 05:41 PM
are you saying i take offense easily ? :angry:

No, ya twazzak.

He was merely alluding to it.

Now go and over react somewhere else...

:D

philsmove
18th-August-2004, 05:52 PM
are you saying i take offense easily ?
Hinny kinny ya ‘wana ‘hight ‘immy :eek:

PS

:flower:

Jive Brummie
18th-August-2004, 06:07 PM
Hoorah for Ceroc

James.

P.S hope the assassins don't find my comment too outrageous

Tiggerbabe
18th-August-2004, 07:13 PM
Hoorah for Ceroc

Nice colour James :hug: :hug: and I agree :clap: :clap:

MartinHarper
19th-August-2004, 12:14 AM
Those of us untrustworthy folks who do both Ceroc and non-Ceroc need a name too...

Ceroc Turncoats?
Ceroc Double Agents?
Ceroc Mercenaries?
Ambicerocstrous?

Lory
19th-August-2004, 09:34 AM
Ambicerocstrous?
:yeah: :rofl:

bigdjiver
19th-August-2004, 11:55 AM
Those of us untrustworthy folks who do both Ceroc and non-Ceroc need a name too...

Ceroc Turncoats?
Ceroc Double Agents?
Ceroc Mercenaries?
Ambicerocstrous?

Lucky?

Gus
19th-August-2004, 12:10 PM

Just wondered ... if no-one told you .... and you walked into a non-Ceroc venue (at least one that follows the standard format of beginners and intermediates) ... woudl you be able to tell the difference ... would you care?

I go to a few local Blitz clubs, to Ceroc Hyde when I can, and a few other Ceroc clubs when I'm on my travels. Up until the changes in the beginners section I found them all more or less the same. The key distinguishing factors were the quality of the music and the venue .... and sometimes whether the instructor had a personality or not :wink:

Gordon J Pownall
19th-August-2004, 01:58 PM
Just wondered ...

The key distinguishing factors were the quality of the music and the venue .... and sometimes whether the instructor had a personality or not :wink:

Light blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance....... :eek: :wink: :wink:

Zuhal
19th-August-2004, 02:02 PM
I really didn't want to grace this thread with a response.

DOH! :(

Zuhal

Gus
19th-August-2004, 02:10 PM
I really didn't want to grace this thread with a response.

Zuhal

Why? Over the last 2 yeers there have been a lot PRO v ANTI Ceroc debates on the Forum. With good grace Franck has let the debates continue. I think that the last major debate proved that the vast majority of people on the Forum felt gratefull to Ceroc for its contribution to the MJ sceen .. regradless of what personal gripes they may have. If we just ignore the fact that people have gripes then thats just locking into a mindset that Ceroc is perfect and theer is no need to change. When Mike took over Ceroc he obviously took on board some of the not-so-positive comments flying around and has made some very postitive steps to change things. Whether you like the changes is a personal thing but it has made people question why we do things and whther there is a better way of doing things. What is NOT positive is just saying Ceroc is GOOD or Ceroc is BAD without discussing it in a logical and unemotional way .... or have I totaly missed the point?

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 02:48 PM
Just thought I'd pop in to ask when the fight was starting? :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-August-2004, 02:57 PM
the moment you spill Gus's pint or he catches you 'looking at his bird' :)

ooh just noticed my rep has gone down, wonder who that was :)

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 05:11 PM
the moment you spill Gus's pint or he catches you 'looking at his bird' :)

I always drink 'is pint and look at 'is bird while 'e's busy fightin' :devil:

Zuhal
19th-August-2004, 05:30 PM
Why? . or have I totaly missed the point?

Actually yes, you have totally missed the point.

"DOH" is an expression used by a popular cartoon character, usually to denote annoyance with himself.
eg;sitting down without the remote control
eg;opening the wrong end of a beer can

If I really did not want to respond to this thread I would not have written anything.

As it happens the eloquent and cogently argued prose induced me to not only read but also to respond. That is therefore a compliment.

Zuhal

foxylady
19th-August-2004, 06:46 PM
Hoorah for Ceroc

James.

I really think it should be Hurray for Ceroc............. :wink:

Just wondered ... if no-one told you .... and you walked into a non-Ceroc venue (at least one that follows the standard format of beginners and intermediates) ... woudl you be able to tell the difference ... would you care?

seriously folks....... One can tell the difference between those who have only learnt ceroc (perhaps even le roc, or blitz jive have their own individual characteristics), but it would be hard to characterise a venue, unless perhaps its catchement was such that the only people who danced there were people who had been taught there, and who hadn't been to any other workshops, or events run by any one else... and even then it so much depends on the style and breadth of the teacher...

FL

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 06:53 PM
and breadth of the teacher...

FL

That would probably make The Tramp the best teacher, being the broadest :devil:

foxylady
19th-August-2004, 07:06 PM
That would probably make The Tramp the best teacher, being the broadest :devil:

You know, as I wrote it, I knew someone would say that !! :devil:

Trampy knows I love him

Andy McGregor
20th-August-2004, 01:33 AM
You know, as I wrote it, I knew someone would say that !! :devil:

Trampy knows I love him

I knew you knew that, I was just saying it to please you and prove you right :wink:

under par
20th-August-2004, 01:47 AM

And are there any tickets still available? and how much are they?

Is anybody running a book on the outcome? :wink:

Gus
20th-August-2004, 01:58 AM
Is anybody running a book on the outcome? :wink:

You what I find odd. There are a lot of 'official' Ceroc people on this forum .. and a number of independants ... yet I'm hard pressed to remember the last time when one of the officials got embroiled in a heated exhange ... unless they all have alter-egos on the fourm. It does seem a little strange that the average dancer would get so het up about 'allegedly' anti-Ceroc comments. :sick: I know a couple of Ceroc famchises pretty well and we get on fine and they know my views .... if anyone should have a problem with comments made on the forum they should but they seems to take it all in conetxt ... whereas there are a few forumites who seem to believe that they are on a sacred mission to defends Ceroc 'goodname' ... or something like that. (must find more of that blue touch paper :devil: )

Andy McGregor
20th-August-2004, 02:10 AM
IMHO, 'official' Ceroc people must find it impossible to talk for Ceroc HQ. We had CarlaB who seemed to be brainwashed. But none of the other overt Ceroc voices seem prepared to speak for Ceroc as a whole.

There are a lot of things that need changing with every large organisation. The problem for large organisations is that mangement of change is a big issue. Ceroc is a large organisation and they can't even ban smoking from their English venues :sick:

There is no doubt that Ceroc is changing and that more change is necessary. But, Ceroc is big and it takes longer to change the course of something big. One day all Ceroc venues will be non-smoking and non-bouncing and have removed the preference for youth and beauty and replaced it with a preference for dancing skill :devil:

.. and one day our prince will come....

under par
20th-August-2004, 02:19 AM
IMHO, 'official' Ceroc people must find it impossible to talk for Ceroc HQ. We had CarlaB who seemed to be brainwashed. But none of the other overt Ceroc voices seem prepared to speak for Ceroc as a whole.

There are a lot of things that need changing with every large organisation. The problem for large organisations is that mangement of change is a big issue. Ceroc is a large organisation and they can't even ban smoking from their English venues :sick:

There is no doubt that Ceroc is changing and that more change is necessary. But, Ceroc is big and it takes longer to change the course of something big. One day all Ceroc venues will be non-smoking and non-bouncing and have removed the preference for youth and beauty and replaced it with a preference for dancing skill :devil:

.. and one day our prince will come....

Andy, Andy wake up wake up!! Andy you are dreaming, wake up Andy!! :flower:

Andy McGregor
20th-August-2004, 02:26 AM
Andy, Andy wake up wake up!! Andy you are dreaming, wake up Andy!! :flower:

Have faith Mr Par, have faith. If Ceroc don't change they will fade away*, and I'm sure they realise that.

*or die from secondary inhalation of cigarette smoke :sick:

MartinHarper
20th-August-2004, 09:39 AM
if no-one told you .... and you walked into a non-Ceroc venue ... would you be able to tell the difference ... would you care?

Tell between TRDC Jazz Jive and the local Ceroc venues? Well, yes, easily, both classes and freestyles, in all kinds of ways. Two-handed moves = Ceroc, swing music = Jazz Jive, beginner moves (and hence most common moves) are different, etc, etc.

Dreadful Scathe
20th-August-2004, 09:45 AM
Tell between TRDC Jazz Jive and the local Ceroc venues? Well, yes, easily, both classes and freestyles, in all kinds of ways. Two-handed moves = Ceroc, swing music = Jazz Jive, beginner moves (and hence most common moves) are different, etc, etc.
so maybe YOU could but could anyone else tell the difference having never been there before ?

Andy McGregor
20th-August-2004, 09:57 AM
so maybe YOU could but could anyone else tell the difference having never been there before ?

Wooly question alert.

Which 'there' are you referring to?

If you'd never been to either, your first visit would have no comparator.

Dreadful Scathe
20th-August-2004, 10:35 AM
Wooly question alert.

Which 'there' are you referring to?

If you'd never been to either, your first visit would have no comparator.
there = either venue; you are trying to see if you can see the difference.

I'm assuming you had been to other dance venues so your mission would be to try and guess if THIS one was Ceroc or Jazz Jive, as if you'd never been to any dance venue ever then the exercise would be fairly meaningless (you not being able to tell the difference between Ceroc and a hole in the ground.....having no knowledge...if you see what i mean :) )

Gordon J Pownall
20th-August-2004, 10:35 AM
You what I find odd. There are a lot of 'official' Ceroc people on this forum ..

IMHO official Ceroc people only consist of (maybe) either franchisees or more likely the only Ceroc official - the owner, Mr Mike Ellard.

There are a number, like myself who teach for Ceroc, but we cannot comment or respond on a corporate basis (I think most people who know me know that I speak only for myself and present a personal perspective on topics regardless of my being a Ceroc gimp).... :wink:

I will challenge the corporate Ceroc where it needs challenging and support it wholeheartedly where this fits in with my personal ethos - this is no different than that which I would do for any other dance organisation.... :whistle:

(IMHO), even franchisees may potentially have problems responding on anything other than a personal basis as they are only independent to the extent of their own area of business which is of course geographical.

Mike Ellard is the owner / MD etc. of Ceroc :worthy: and ultimately it is he who makes the corporate decisions. Of course he does this in a consultative way with all those involved in Ceroc, franchisees, teachers and dancers.... :worthy: :clap:

... yet I'm hard pressed to remember the last time when one of the officials got embroiled in a heated exhange ... unless they all have alter-egos on the forum.

....bring it on bitch..... :wink: ...

but seriously, this officials title is a toughie - perhaps nbeeds more clarification but I can't think of anyone who could possible respond on behalf of Ceroc, other than Big M...

It does seem a little strange that the average dancer would get so het up about 'allegedly' anti-Ceroc comments. :sick:

Perhaps they are just loyal to their teacher / venue / taxi dancer or have had a really good, positive experience and are seeking to promote a positive perspective based upon their experiences...???

whereas there are a few forumites who seem to believe that they are on a sacred mission to defends Ceroc 'goodname' ... or something like that. (must find more of that blue touch paper :devil: )

I still luv ya buddy.... :hug: ....anyone got a match...... :eek:

MartinHarper
20th-August-2004, 10:36 AM
Could anyone else tell the difference having never been there before ?

Yes, in either direction. Whether that will change if/when we get a local Ceroc venue is another question...

TheTramp
20th-August-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah. You could definitely tell the difference between a Ceroc class, and a JazzJive class. That's mainly because JazzJive isn't Modern Jive (the clue is in the name). So, it's comparing 2 different things. Don't really know why Martin brought it into the discussion. I took the question to mean the difference between on Modern Jive class, and another Modern Jive class.

Trampy

MartinHarper
20th-August-2004, 10:40 AM
JazzJive isn't Modern Jive

Didn't know this. I bow to your superior knowledge. :)
Websites like this one (http://www.modernjive.com/modernjive.html) led me astray...

TheTramp
20th-August-2004, 11:29 AM
Didn't know this. I bow to your superior knowledge. :)
Websites like this one (http://www.modernjive.com/modernjive.html) led me astray...
Maybe I should have said that 'it's not Modern Jive as we know it (Jim)'.

I'd be interested to hear what James says - does he consider it to be Modern Jive?? I've (admittedly) only been the once, and I'd consider it to be a combination of MJ and Lindy. I know that people who teach and DJ and frequent JazzJive events (Gary and Sara) don't consider what they do as MJ.

I wonder whether other groups mentioned, such as Swing Roc, Swing Jive would consider themselves Modern Jive either (just going by the names). Again, it'd be interesting to hear what they thought.

As you yourself have said, there is a definite difference in the way that dance is taught at JazzJive venues. Given that Le Roc, Blitz, Mo'Jive and many others offer a similar (indistinguishable) product to the product on offer at any Ceroc venue, I'd say that JazzJive doesn't fall under the MJ banner (though, maybe James would want it to, for business purposes).

Trampy

foxylady
20th-August-2004, 11:43 AM
Maybe I should have said that 'it's not Modern Jive as we know it (Jim)'.

I'd be interested to hear what James says - does he consider it to be Modern Jive?? I've (admittedly) only been the once, and I'd consider it to be a combination of MJ and Lindy. I know that people who teach and DJ and frequent JazzJive events (Gary and Sara) don't consider what they do as MJ.

I wonder whether other groups mentioned, such as Swing Roc, Swing Jive would consider themselves Modern Jive either (just going by the names). Again, it'd be interesting to hear what they thought.

As you yourself have said, there is a definite difference in the way that dance is taught at JazzJive venues. Given that Le Roc, Blitz, Mo'Jive and many others offer a similar (indistinguishable) product to the product on offer at any Ceroc venue, I'd say that JazzJive doesn't fall under the MJ banner (though, maybe James would want it to, for business purposes).

Trampy

James used to be a ceroc teacher. I knew him when he was travelling to gloucester to establish JazzJive and I suspect he made it deliberately different (?to avoid legal issues ?) using Lindy as his influence, as that was what we were both doing at the time...

It was initially meant to be modern jive... How it's evolved over the intervening 13 years (yikes!) I don't know..

Gus
20th-August-2004, 11:49 AM
It was initially meant to be modern jive... How it's evolved over the intervening 13 years (yikes!) I don't know..

Having done some of James's JazzJive lessons, its changed a fair bit. I find his lessons chellenging (even now) .. more of an extension of MJ than pure MJ (if such a thing exists). I think Trampy is right .. its not a standard MJ product .. but its a legit MJ varaition.

Off thread ... but I heard that James H was one the original 8 Ceroc disciples .. along with the likes of James Cronin and Roger Chin ... anyone else heard that story/legend?

DavidB
20th-August-2004, 01:27 PM
the original 8 Ceroc disciples ... anyone else heard that story/legend?
Jive Wars

A long time ago, in a land far, far away (France) there was Roc.

And James saw Roc and saw that it was good.

Roc begat the twins of Ceroc and Leroc. And James saw that Ceroc was profitable, and Leroc wasn't. So James started his quest through the wastelands of Chelsea to deliver Ceroc to the masses.

And James found Janie, and together they begat Ceroc Enterprises.

Years past, and Ceroc grew.

The Independents Strike Back
But the disciples grew restless. Some converted to Lindyism and led a peaceful (if somewhat energetic) co-existence. Others turned to the dark side (Independents!) They started "The Venue That Cannot Be Named". They subverted the shining star of the CTA (Viktor).

At the Battle Of Tuesday, the opposing forces gathered in their Town Halls - Fulham and Ealing. And the might of Ceroc was defeated, and they retreated to Thursday. The Independents celebrated...

The Return Of The Ellards
Mike & Linda took over Ceroc. They started reforming. They listened to their people, from the most junior beginner to their ruling council (the Franchisees). They consolidated their position on Thursdays. They opened their arms and welcomed the lapsed Cerocers (the Advanced) back into the fold. Only the most hated figure in the Independent Empire (Darth Nigel) would not be accepted.

The story continues...

Yogi_Bear
20th-August-2004, 05:44 PM
I love it, David :clap: can't wait for the next chapter!

Will
20th-August-2004, 06:22 PM
Jive Wars

A long time ago, in a land far, far away (France) there was Roc.

And James saw Roc and saw that it was good.

Roc begat the twins of Ceroc and Leroc. And James saw that Ceroc was profitable, and Leroc wasn't. So James started his quest through the wastelands of Chelsea to deliver Ceroc to the masses.

And James found Janie, and together they begat Ceroc Enterprises.

Years past, and Ceroc grew.

The Independents Strike Back
But the disciples grew restless. Some converted to Lindyism and led a peaceful (if somewhat energetic) co-existence. Others turned to the dark side (Independents!) They started "The Venue That Cannot Be Named". They subverted the shining star of the CTA (Viktor).

At the Battle Of Tuesday, the opposing forces gathered in their Town Halls - Fulham and Ealing. And the might of Ceroc was defeated, and they retreated to Thursday. The Independents celebrated...

The Return Of The Ellards
Mike & Linda took over Ceroc. They started reforming. They listened to their people, from the most junior beginner to their ruling council (the Franchisees). They consolidated their position on Thursdays. They opened their arms and welcomed the lapsed Cerocers (the Advanced) back into the fold. Only the most hated figure in the Independent Empire (Darth Nigel) would not be accepted.

The story continues...

That would make the Tramp - Jabba the Hut wouldn't it?

bradders
20th-August-2004, 06:49 PM
All I want to know is when is Natalie Portman is coming dancing!

Natalie, for you :flower:

Lou
21st-August-2004, 09:21 AM
Jive Wars
The story continues...

Hey David, I always pictured it more like Viktor & Nigel Skywalker vs the Evil Empire. But, what do I know here in Lerocland? After all, if there's a bright center to the universe, we're on the planet that it's farthest from.... :whistle:

Andy McGregor
21st-August-2004, 09:28 AM
That would make the Tramp - Jabba the Hut wouldn't it?

.. or maybe the Millenium Falcon :wink:

I found this;

A legendary starship despite its humble origins and deceptively dilapidated exterior, the Millennium Falcon ...

Gus
21st-August-2004, 09:53 AM
Hey David, I always pictured it more like Viktor & Nigel Skywalker vs the Evil Empire. But, what do I know here in Lerocland? After all, if there's a bright center to the universe, we're on the planet that it's farthest from.... :whistle:

And while the denizens of BristolWorld slept ... across the vast distances of the M4 did the Evil Empire Darkstar aproached with its deadly primary weapon ... the Franchise System ... known to obliterate all that stands in its way...
"Help me Obi Wan Andeke ... you are our only hope"? :wink:

Minnie M
21st-August-2004, 10:46 AM
"Help me Obi Wan Andeke ... you are our only hope"?

Hope alas there is no hope, OWA hath travelled to darkest Sussex by the Sea, to the land of the beautiful females (me/ Katie/ Boozie Bird/ Dangerous Curves / Daisy & Chickadede) and men who doth weareth dresses :whistle:

Daisy
21st-August-2004, 06:31 PM
Hope alas there is no hope, OWA hath travelled to darkest Sussex by the Sea, to the land of the beautiful females (me/ Katie/ Boozie Bird/ Dangerous Curves / Daisy & Chickadede) and men who doth weareth dresses :whistle:

I think you mean MAN that weareth dresses! :whistle:

But fear not.....there is a DJ known as TwK (Toby wan Kenobe) who doth spinneth the discs and make all dancers that heareth his music very happy. :clap:

Follow the mighty music masters........

__________________________________________________ ____________
My taste in life is simple.....I only want the best.

Minnie M
21st-August-2004, 07:01 PM
I think you mean MAN that weareth dresses! :whistle:

True if he be-eth a forumite, t'others liveth in the area otherwise known as Kemp Town (aka Camp Town to its locals) :rofl: :rofl: :whistle:

__________________________________________________ ____________
My taste in life is simple.....I only want the best.[/QUOTE]

Whitebeard
21st-August-2004, 11:27 PM
Yeah. You could definitely tell the difference between a Ceroc class, and a JazzJive class. That's mainly because JazzJive isn't Modern Jive (the clue is in the name). So, it's comparing 2 different things. Don't really know why Martin brought it into the discussion. I took the question to mean the difference between on Modern Jive class, and another Modern Jive class.

Trampy
The first part of your statement is perfectly true but, speaking from my own experience purely as a beginner, I would agree with later opinions that JazzJiveSwing as I learnt it at that level is most definitely Modern Jive. A bit different to Ceroc, of course, but probably no more so than is Leroc.

In this area, the choice is between Ceroc and JazzJiveSwing and, initially, I started with the latter. James and Bridget taught as a team, giving both the masculine and feminine perspective equal prominence, and good humouredly bringing out the 'sexier' elements of the dance as well as the need to inject some 'oomph' into the moves. "Boom, boom, boom." James would cry out as he demonstrated a few key steps. Moves were reprised the following week and I made reasonable progress but there were two problems.

First, I have an 'age related' hearing problem (more distortion than actual hearing loss) and all too often just couldn't make out the instructions being given. I think James and Bridget had clip on mikes but they weren't very effective. And a stiff neck didn't help either.

Secondly, the numbers were fairly small (probably no more than fourty or so on average), and many came as pairs, or were members of what seemed a rather cliquey group. I never got to the stage where I felt I fitted in. And, having lost my wife, the social side, as it is for many, was one of my reasons for going.

So when I discovered that a Ceroc class I had assumed to be in the adjacent City centre was, in fact, on the outskirts, and almost literally 'just down the road', I decided to give that a try. It was a revelation. A lovely venue, packed with people, really 'buzzing', and so professionally run. The teacher wore a head mike and I could here every word. Bliss. Amidst this crowd I felt as if I could feel comfortable remaining anonymous but, to my surprise, after a few weeks and a Sunday workshop I'd made some new friends and developed a sense of really 'belonging'. Great.

As for the dancing itself, I had no problems with the moves, they might have different names in some cases, and there might be minor variations but, essentially, most were the same as those learned at JazzJiveSwing and I had no trouble adapting. My problems start with Freestyle.

Perhaps, in the light of subsequent experience, I could find Ceroc a little formulaic and lacking flexibility in some respects, but around here it seems to be thriving.

philsmove
22nd-August-2004, 01:04 AM
And while the denizens of BristolWorld slept

Sleep ?

What is this thing called sleep :confused:

“When in Bristol thou shalt not sleep “

(Last weekend we had a major traffic jam at 5am when the whole of Bristol descended on Ashton Court to have a breakfast Bar B Q and watch over 100 hot air balloon take off) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dance Demon
22nd-August-2004, 10:33 AM
The first part of your statement is perfectly true but, speaking from my own experience purely as a beginner, I would agree with later opinions that JazzJiveSwing as I learnt it at that level is most definitely Modern Jive. A bit different to Ceroc, of course, but probably no more so than is Leroc.

Have been to a couple of James & Bridgets classes, and found them fairly enjoyable. JazzJiveSwing, is basically a new angle on modern Jive. It takes Modern jive moves, and adds a swingier dimention. At the workshops I attended, they started off with basic MJ moves, then added variations to them, very much like what happens at a Ceroc intermediate class, only the variations had a swingier style to them. Anyone who had not done any MJ before doing these workshops would be equivelent to a begginer doing an intermediate class on their first night. Another way of looking at it is s that they do what Amir does with latin influences, but with swing influences.

Lou
22nd-August-2004, 10:56 AM
(Last weekend we had a major traffic jam at 5am when the whole of Bristol descended on Ashton Court to have a breakfast Bar B Q and watch over 100 hot air balloon take off) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tell me about it, Phil! I was in it. We couldn't believe how much more busy it was this year. Still, we managed to get to our spot well in time for the first launch. :grin:
(We had managed to get about 4 hours sleep prior to it, by the time we'd got home from BOA).

Minnie M
22nd-August-2004, 12:45 PM
..../snip/.... JazzJiveSwing, is basically a new angle on modern Jive. It takes Modern jive moves, and adds a swingier dimention........

It's (IMO) what the good and experienced dancers do anyway when dancing to swing music, so for those who need a little help I think this is great :clap: - can we have move classes/workshops like this deeper south please :cheers: Not sure of the name though how about ' Jive to Swing ' classes :cool:

spindr
22nd-August-2004, 01:23 PM
It's (IMO) what the good and experienced dancers do anyway when dancing to swing music, so for those who need a little help I think this is great :clap: - can we have move classes/workshops like this deeper south please :cheers: Not sure of the name though how about ' Jive to Swing ' classes :cool:

Well Graeme and Ann (http://www.hoppinmad.co.uk) sometimes run them, e.g.
Leroc with Swing Workshop with "Graeme & Ann" at Dorking Halls Saturday 27th September.

SpinDr

Minnie M
22nd-August-2004, 02:17 PM
Leroc with Swing Workshop with "Graeme & Ann" at Dorking Halls Saturday 27th September.

SpinDr

hmmm..... interesting, not seen them two doing such a workshop, they do a very good Salsa for beginners though - however, I hope (if finances allow) to be at BFG that weekend which is BTW Saturday the 25th

Dance Demon
22nd-August-2004, 06:29 PM

SpinDr

been to a few Lindy workshops with Graeme & Anne. I like their style of teaching, and they do a great cabaret. They also choreographed the jive scene in the animated film "Chicken Run"..
:waycool:

Yogi_Bear
22nd-August-2004, 10:14 PM
been to a few Lindy workshops with Graeme & Anne. I like their style of teaching, and they do a great cabaret. They also choreographed the jive scene in the animated film "Chicken Run"..
:waycool:
I have been to quite a few workshops and lessons with Graeme and Ann, and they frequently offer a "modern jive into Lindy" class, followed by two or three Lindy classes, usually building in difficulty to intermediate Lindy level. This is likely to be in a part of the country where MJ is well established but there is a need for a taste of Lindy and help in making the transition. They are excellent teachers and cabaret performers.
:clap:

Minnie M
22nd-August-2004, 11:24 PM
IMO the best 'swing to jive' teachers must be Joseph & Trisha - they also do a similar class taking into account that Joseph has been CTA trained and until recently (last year I think) I believe was a Ceroc fanchisee, He now is an amazing Lindy dancer and now teaches Lindy. J & T run a 'all dayer' in June every year for dancers wanting the 'cross over' - called 'When Jive meets Swing' In fact they call themselves 'JiveSwing.Com'

DavidB
23rd-August-2004, 06:34 PM
The story continues...

Ceroc Terminator 2 - Judging Day

In 2028 Ceroc sign an agreement with the Lindys to share all the dance teaching across the world.

In 2029 the Lindys sieze power, and ban Ceroc.

An underground resistance movement develops, and the rebel dancers organise their own Freedom dances for their banned style. These illegal gatherings become known as FreeStyles. The Lindys crack down on them, and impose the requirements laid down in the sacred texts of the prophet Frankie Manning - kicks, charlestons, zoot suits & black & white shoes.

But they can't control the uprising. In desperation they send their greatest warrior back in time to 2004 to kill the rebirth of Ceroc. An advanced cyborg made from the liquid metal Bluesium, it is their most advanced killing machine ever developed. Equipped with a bulletproof waistcoat, friction-free Black & White shoes, and an enhanced female targetting system located under its hat, the Neural Intelligent Genetic Enhanced Lindy cyborg series T-5678 was set loose on an unsuspecting public. Its aim was to eliminate the leaders of Ceroc and destroy its history.

The rebels sent their best warrior back to organise the resistance and protect the founders. Unfortunately they knew little of the original history of Ceroc, and took the idea of French Jive too literally. Landing naked in Glasgow with only 2 days growth of beard to protect him, First Rank Kommander Pauly desperately tried to fit in. He correctly identified the correct style of clothing, but his training did not give him any idea what Tartan was.

Despite these early problems F.Rank Pauly established an early warning network with over 1000 agents spread across the world.

So the scene was set for the second rebel warrior to travel through time. They captured a cyborg and reprogrammed it. They taught it how to dance without kicking. They played it slow music, and made it dance without doing a Lindy Turn. When they finally made it do the banned circular hand movements they knew the training was complete. They now had the ideal warrior - a superb physique, encyclopedic knowledge of dancing, a leader par excellence, and he rode a Harley... [well what do you expect - it's my story]

But disaster struck when the rebels tried to send their hero back in time. The Limited Integration Linear Yield wouldn't let him travel (something to do with the gardening? He was last seen heading for Homebase saying "I'll be back").

A few calculations revealed only an 8 stone weakling could hope to survive the trip. So Will was sent...

Like Pauly, he had to try to fit in. His limited knowledge of 2004 suggested he support a football team. He went to a sports shop and picked the first shirt he could find - not realising that all the light blue shirts were there because no-one else wanted them.

His first aim was to infiltrate the heart of the N.I.G.E.L.s faction. He brainwashed the unsuspecting partner of one of their teachers - at first threatening her with a succession of martial arts moves that came from the fabled Lost DVDs of Sensei Lizard. When this didn't work, he simply drugged her with a toxic poison called Spagbog.

And so Will chased the N.I.G.E.L. from venue to venue, doing his best to put every female he met off dancing, and hence out of the clutches of the Bluesium cyborg.

To be continued...

(although the temptation to jump to the last scene when Kate lowers Will into a cauldron of molten metal, and utters those famous words "Let's see how you like being dropped" is almost overwhelming)

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-August-2004, 08:36 PM
(although the temptation to jump to the last scene when Kate lowers Will into a cauldron of molten metal, and utters those famous words "Let's see how you like being dropped" is almost overwhelming)

:rofl:

indeed...I'm literally holding my breath and am turning blue waiting....aak..must bre..a..t..h...soon...

philsmove
23rd-August-2004, 09:58 PM

I’m still only a quarter way through the book club book of the mouth “Louis de Bernie’rs Birds with out wings “ I am going to suggest this for the September’s Book

LilyB
23rd-August-2004, 10:35 PM

..... But disaster struck when the rebels tried to send their hero back in time. The Limited Integration Linear Yield wouldn't let him travel (something to do with the gardening? He was last seen heading for Homebase saying "I'll be back").

The garden needs weeding, Oracle or not. No travelling until the path is cleared and the flower-beds immaculate. The L.I.L.Y. aka She who Must be Obeyed expects your imminent return from Homebase laden with another 5 clematis for the fence and a lavender bush to replace the one you killed. :mad:

(A hero's job is never done, eh? :wink: )

latinlover
24th-August-2004, 08:40 AM

.................................................. ....

David you are a genius :worthy:
as if you were not already a Zeus in the pantheon of Dance Gods, this must guarantee your immortality!!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
more please (c'mon Lily.......... :flower: )

Lynn
24th-August-2004, 08:50 AM
Ceroc Terminator 2 - Judging Day :rofl: Classic!

Dreadful Scathe
24th-August-2004, 09:52 AM
The garden needs weeding, Oracle or not. No travelling until the path is cleared and the flower-beds immaculate. The L.I.L.Y. aka She who Must be Obeyed expects your imminent return from Homebase laden with another 5 clematis for the fence and a lavender bush to replace the one you killed. :mad:

(A hero's job is never done, eh? :wink: )
ooh plant killer

...that reminds me, I have to cut the grass...:(

...am I allowed to "cut" the grass with weedkiller ?

Gus
24th-August-2004, 10:20 AM
...am I allowed to "cut" the grass with weedkiller ?

Hold on ... I thought you had the Ultimate Weapon against all gardenning problems ... A WIFE! (David B take note :wink: )

I have now taken steps to change identity and leave the country before Mrs Smurf and Lily hunt me down

ANYWAY .... (back to thread~) ... are there any brave souls who will stand up and be counted as Jedi Knights ... i.e. sworn enemies of The Ceroc Empire?

Dreadful Scathe
24th-August-2004, 10:37 AM
hey, thats a generalisation to say all Jedi Knights are sworn enemies of Ceroc, its Microsoft we hate :)

Why does all the documentation for Southport have 'Lili Barker' ..never seen that spelling before - is this Lily trying to be more "European" or something ?..ooooh posh! :)

Will
24th-August-2004, 03:55 PM
and a lavender bush to replace the one you killed. :mad:

Lily, the other week when I saw David at "The Manor", he confessed to me during a game of croquet, that he had actually lied to you about the demise of your lavendar bush.

He made me promise not to tell you this, but the truth of the matter is that he woke up one morning bursting for the loo, which he claims was being monopolised by you. He therefore went out the back garden and "watered" the Lavendar Bush. It began to die shortly afterwards.

Sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but my conscience eventually got the better of me after I realised how unrepentent David was, and those awful things he had been saying about it had sunk in.

Simon r
25th-August-2004, 06:53 PM
Lily, the other week when I saw David at "The Manor", he confessed to me during a game of croquet, that he had actually lied to you about the demise of your lavendar bush.

He made me promise not to tell you this, but the truth of the matter is that he woke up one morning bursting for the loo, which he claims was being monopolised by you. He therefore went out the back garden and "watered" the Lavendar Bush. It began to die shortly afterwards.

Sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but my conscience eventually got the better of me after I realised how unrepentent David was, and those awful things he had been saying about it had sunk in.

Tail tail tit :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
25th-August-2004, 08:42 PM
I thought it was "tell tale" tit :what: :flower: :hug:
swiftly followed by "yer grannie cannie knit" :blush: :whistle:

Andy McGregor
25th-August-2004, 08:57 PM
"yer grannie cannie knit" :blush: :whistle:

My Scots grannie could not only knit, she could crochet too.

But, my tongue might split..

mick
26th-August-2004, 10:34 AM
Looking back over some of the (not so witty) repartee over the last 12 months ... there seems to be regular outbreaks of forum violence between the PRO Ceroc (fundamentalists) and the ANTI Ceroc (assassins). I'm not talking about the healthy debate were we discuss differences/gripes etc ... but where statements are twisted and people make accusations which are far removed form the original thread or postings.

In the early halcyon days of this Forum probably the two worst offenders of this were myself and Will ( :blush: ). For some reason we got at each others throats without really listening to what each other was trying to say. I was coming from my experience of having a rough time from being both within Ceroc then on the receiving end of them, and Will had come form a point where Ceroc had been very good for him and had seen barbarians trying to damage Ceroc for commercial gain. In the end we talked out our differences and we have a far better understanding or each other and I'd now like to think we are mates.

However, some recent exchanges have far surpassed any of the old spats that occurred. Think back as to those who blindly and aggressively defend Ceroc .. yup, a few names come to mind. Then think about those who will take any opportunity to have a go ... a few more names pop up. Can we all just agree that there are those who (for their own reasons) either like or dislike Ceroc ... that’s just human nature. Thats acceptable. What is not acceptable is for those who are looking for 'Reds under the bed' who constantly twist and turn peoples statements into something different. I admit that my mind has been focused on this subject by one individual who seems to have a vendetta ... who has consistently ignored point blank question and seems only to exist to imply that statements are made only to attack Ceroc or for self gain ... yeah ... you know who your are Messer 'fluff’ Ball :mad::flower:

A forum exists for healthy debate to promote understanding and knowledge .. .this cannot happen where statements made in good faith are constantly ridiculed with having secret agendas or self interest. Lets keep debates to what is written and not to what people think has been written. Lets keep the personal animosity off the forum and, if it must take place, keep it to PMs. Fair comment?
Some sound thinking here. And I notice that recent posts have been totally non controversial. Keep it up!
And here is a further suggestion to ensure a harmonious atmosphere. Get a net nanny on this system to filter out any any posts by ordinary punters who disagree with cd jockeys or instructors.

Gus
26th-August-2004, 11:02 AM
......And I notice that recent posts have been totally non controversial. Keep it up!

WHAT??? .... non-controversial?? :tears: :tears: :tears: Bye Bye ODA title .... better make up for my ommissions.

{ODA Mode On}

Given the change in strategy for Ceroc, the Fundamentalists have come to the fore. As Ceroc has started pushing into areas previously the domain of established independant orgainsations, how long before we get back to the 'bad old days' of flyering outside competing venues, banning crew for dancing at other venues, running free events aganinst competitors nights, making long term free offer to keep/steal customers?? How long until Ceroc starts running weekenders to dominate the existing organisers? Forget Ceroc as the 'MacDonlads', should the real comparison be to Microsoft?

Discuss
{ODA Mode Off}

OK ... was that contraversial enough? :devil: :devil:

Andy McGregor
26th-August-2004, 11:29 AM
OK ... was that controversial enough? :devil: :devil:

Come on Gus, there's no real meat in this. It would be hard for any Ceroc clones to disagree with any of this. Because you've accused them of nothing, you've just asked some interesting questions :wink:

mick
26th-August-2004, 05:31 PM
how long before we get back to the 'bad old days' of flyering outside competing venues, banning crew for dancing at other venues, running free events aganinst competitors nights, making long term free offer to keep/steal customers??

:devil: :devil:

I think a lot of this stuff happens. But maybe it is healthy competition.
So what! A good venue,: a dj who knows what he is doing, a good instructor, taxi dancers and experienced dancers who's egos aren't so big that they can't dance with beginners. BINGO. Maybe you all should try the North East.

Seems like this area wiped the floor with you Jocks in the Ceroc competitions. Is that an indication that we are generally better dancers?
Perhaps I should start a thread, England v Scotland. who is the best?

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2004, 05:37 PM
So what! A good venue,: a dj who knows what he is doing, a good instructor, taxi dancers and experienced dancers who's egos aren't so big that they can't dance with beginners. BINGO. Maybe you all should try the North East.

Seems like this area wiped the floor with you Jocks in the Ceroc competitions. Is that an indication that we are generally better dancers?
feel free - just don't refer to us as JOCKS , I HATE THAT :)

Dance Demon
26th-August-2004, 05:39 PM
Maybe you all should try the North East.

Aren't Geordies just Scotsmen with their brains bashed in....
:devil: :devil: :wink:

mick
26th-August-2004, 05:42 PM
Aren't Geordies just Scotsmen with their brains bashed in....
:devil: :devil: :wink:

Maybe that's why we are better dancers. Everybody should try it.

TheTramp
26th-August-2004, 05:50 PM
Ummm....

So just who wiped the floor with who then Mick??

Details please.... Which competitions, which categories???

Trampy

Dance Demon
26th-August-2004, 05:54 PM

Well...if everyone is as warm & friendly as you Mick, we'll all be flocking to get to Geordieland...... :wink:

mick
26th-August-2004, 05:58 PM
Well...if everyone is as warm & friendly as you Mick, we'll all be flocking to get to Geordieland...... :wink:

That's what the Roman Wall was built to stop happening.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-August-2004, 06:18 PM
it didnt do its job very well in William Wallaces time, or Bonnie Prince Charlies time either for that matter :)

Dance Demon
26th-August-2004, 06:18 PM
That's what the Roman Wall was built to stop happening.

And here was me thinking it was to keep the rough English out of our beautiful & picturesque Scotland...........
:D

TheTramp
26th-August-2004, 06:28 PM
Dunno about you lot, but I'm still waiting for these details on where they were so much better than us in the Ceroc competitions.....

Trampy

jivegirl100
26th-August-2004, 06:39 PM

Right, Mick, who are you? You're going to get everyone who dances at Newcastle a bad name!!:tears:

Claire (also Newcastle...)

PS I think the dancers in Scotland are fab (well, the ones I've seen anyways!)

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Dance Demon
26th-August-2004, 07:05 PM
Right, Mick, who are you? You're going to get everyone who dances at Newcastle a bad name!!:tears:

Claire (also Newcastle...)

PS I think the dancers in Scotland are fab (well, the ones I've seen anyways!)

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Don't worry Claire.......i've always found Geordies to be a friendly lot that enjoy a good time.:flower: .....there's always one exception to the rule though :wink:

Lounge Lizard
27th-August-2004, 08:07 AM
how long before we get back to the 'bad old days' of flyering outside competing venues, banning crew for dancing at other venues, running free events aganinst competitors nights, making long term free offer to keep/steal customers??

Would love to try the north east......unless you are an example of the dancers we will come across

Yup I think you should - please put the case for england in your own delicate way and I am sure you will have loads of support.

Still waiting for details on your floor wiping abilities.......strange you did not mention the Blackpool comps

Most controversial posts make for interesting reading and heated debate with a bit of annoyance....you manage to bypass the first two expertly.
mick - The Great Pretender...has a ring to it
LL

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 08:47 AM
Dunno about you lot, but I'm still waiting for these details on where they were so much better than us in the Ceroc competitions.....

Trampy
:yeah:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2004, 09:20 AM
hmm i think Mick was trying to be controversial rather than rude. As for wiping the floor with us at the Scottish Champs :confused: ...

Lucky Dip

1 David Chu & Nikki Gritton

....Scottish and Australian I believe

Intermediate Placement

1 John Lusby & Hazel Lusby

..Scottish

Advanced Placement

1 Yuko Kamiya & Philip Webb

are they North East ? hmm

Open Placement

1 Melanie Hutton & James Lees

hmm Melanie does have a North East accent..but NE SCOTLAND :)

Show Case Final

Philip & Aleks Score 66

...this must be the couple Mick meant ? North East ?

and of course double trouble was ALL Scottish....

TheTramp
27th-August-2004, 09:27 AM
1 Yuko Kamiya & Philip Webb

are they North East ? hmm
Try 'far' east. In Yuko's original case at least.

I believe that Yuko now resides in London, and Phil in Birmingham, unless things have changed recently.

And incidentally, there wasn't a Scottish entry into the Showcase. So it was only by default that Phil and Alex won that over Scottish people. Although, it was so fab, it'd have taken a really superb showcase to beat it. I thought that all 3 English showcases were fab btw. Must have been a hard decision for the judges.

Trampy

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2004, 09:29 AM
maybe he really meant North East Scotland :)

Gadget
27th-August-2004, 11:24 AM
maybe he really meant North East Scotland :)
:confused: If people say "North East" to me, then it's Dundee, Aberdeen, Inverness. That's the North-East of Britain as well as Scotland. If people mean "North East England", then they should say so and stop all this confusuion.

:whistle:

MartinHarper
27th-August-2004, 11:54 AM
Maybe he really meant North East Scotland.

Ohh.... I was wondering what was so special about Icelandic dancers.

Dreadful Scathe
27th-August-2004, 12:09 PM
thats north west surely ? :)

Gojive
27th-August-2004, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHarper

thats north west surely ?

Not if you live in Newcastle, Canada! :yum: :whistle: :na:

DavidB
29th-August-2004, 02:43 AM
He made me promise not to tell you this, but the truth of the matter is that he woke up one morning bursting for the loo, which he claims was being monopolised by you. He therefore went out the back garden and "watered" the Lavendar Bush. It began to die shortly afterwards.Regular readers will be pleased to know that the Lavendar Bush has a new home. It was presented to Will in a moving ceremony at the conclusion of the competition at Twyford.

It is hoped that Will can work his usual magic with this famous plant. Although it is expected to require huge amounts of fertiliser to rescue its condition, this shouldn't be a problem for the man for whom the slogan "Full Of S**t" was coined.

Hopefully Will can keep everyone updated on its progress (once he has sobered up)

David

TheTramp
29th-August-2004, 11:33 AM
Hopefully Will can keep everyone updated on its progress (once he has sobered up)
Looking at how drunk he appeared last night, that'll be a week on Thursday then David???

Trampy

Whitebeard
29th-August-2004, 07:45 PM
Not if you live in Newcastle, Canada! :yum: :whistle: :na:

He must spend a fortune in air fares then!!