PDA

View Full Version : Last night (Tues)

Gadget
16th-October-2002, 09:13 AM
Can I just take a moment to appologise for my flailing & lack of spacial awareness last night; I can only assume that I was being infected by all those who were practicing for the weekend.
(When they do it - it's style and shimmy:waycool:; me - I just flail and wiggle:sorry)

On a similar note, you were all looking very flashy and oozing charisma on the dance floor - I really wish I could make it down to the party(s), if only to appreciate the moves if nothing else.

Lorna
16th-October-2002, 10:42 AM
What a great night it was last night. Lots of people up from Dundee, great to see them all and yes, everyone was looking fab and dancing brilliantly. To top it I thought that the music was great, apart from when the DJ was propping up the bar during the class!!!!! :devil:

I don't want to get you too excited yet as I haven't spoke to Franck this morning but we had 129 cerocers there last night. Is this a record for Peterculter? I think so. And what with Lisa doing brilliantly well, Aberdeen is just getting better and better. Thank you to everyone who was there last night and making it a top night! :cheers:

lotsa love Lorna x-x

Gadget
16th-October-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by lorna
To top it I thought that the music was great, apart from when the DJ was propping up the bar during the class!!!!! :devil:

I did over-hear quite a few comments from people that the music was good lastnight - you're getting a fan base Curtain.
...Although personally I dislike The Doors; another endurance classic. {I still danced to it like; one or two poor songs do not a bad night make :D}

Jayne
16th-October-2002, 12:02 PM
Lots of people up from Dundee,

Arrhh, so the Dundee posse are spying on the Aberdeen caberet team now???? :devil: :wink: They were down in Glasgow last week.... Edinburgh - have they "visited" you yet??? :what:

All said in good humour - see you all soon!

Jayne :wink:

Curtain
16th-October-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

I did over-hear quite a few comments from people that the music was good lastnight - you're getting a fan base Curtain.
...Although personally I dislike The Doors; another endurance classic. {I still danced to it like; one or two poor songs do not a bad night make :D}

I'm sorry you don't like The Doors, I personally think some of their tracks are great for Ceroc. I'm not there to play to one individual person and it would be impossible for me to play a whole night of music where you or anyone else for that matter liked every single track. So my advice is to request songs that you really want to hear and bare the ones that you don't necessary like.

You cannae please everybody all of the time, believe me. Glad most of you enjoyed themselves, hope you all have a great time at the Championships and I'll see you next Tuesday. Good Luck to the Cabaret Team!!

filthycute
16th-October-2002, 02:43 PM
To top it I thought that the music was great, apart from when the DJ was propping up the bar during the class!!!!! :devil:

OOps! thats when he was blethering to me.....sorry :sorry

I don't want to get you too excited yet as I haven't spoke to Franck this morning but we had 129 cerocers there last night. Is this a record for Peterculter? I think so. And what with Lisa doing brilliantly well, Aberdeen is just getting better and better. Thank you to everyone who was there last night and making it a top night! :cheers:

lotsa love Lorna x-x

I had a great time last night....not that i expected anything less from the Aberdonians :D
Have to agree, Lisa's doing a great job...i even got a dance from her....ace dancer! :D Music was good, but then it was Paul Djing...expected that. BUT!!...have to say i don't like the doors either but i'm not complaining..you played all the tracks i wanted..cheers mate. Even had a wee club tropicana in there :wink:

hope to see you all again soon

filthycute x x

Curtain
16th-October-2002, 04:06 PM
I can't believe the amount of blasphemy I'm hearing. The Doors are brilliant. It's mental that no-one has said that Roadhouse Blues was the best track played last night. It has class, a steady beat and is possibly the funkiest track since DJ Funk released his funk version of This Is Really Funky.

I'll convert you all yet.

Rachel
16th-October-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Curtain I can't believe the amount of blasphemy I'm hearing. The Doors are brilliant. Have to agree with you there!!

CJ
17th-October-2002, 01:02 AM
Be honest!! The doors were *****e.

Roadhouse Blues is fantastic, however.

Will
17th-October-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by filthycute
Even had a wee club tropicana in there :wink:

Respect!

I may live down in London, but if you guys are playing Club Tropicana up north of Hadrians Wall, I may have to come and pay a visit!

Isn't it a little ironic though when Club Tropicana is played in Scotland? I mean it's the last place on earth that drinks would be free! :cheers: :grin:

Sandy
17th-October-2002, 09:13 AM
What a great night it was last night. Lots of people up from Dundee, To top it I thought that the music was great, apart from when the DJ was propping up the bar during the class!!!!! :devil:

lotsa love Lorna x-x

It was a great night on Tuesday and boy it was busy. It was nice after the class finished as well, a lot of folk chatting, a nice relaxed atmosphere. As stated on another thread, it would be good if the bar stayed open and we had an hours chill down time although I think people would want to dance some more like Tuesday! Even after the lights went on the dancing didn't stop. More addicts out there than I thought:wink:

Yep Paul, propping up the bar, chatting up the girls, but still playing good music. EXCEPT - haven't played Pink "Just like a pill" - would it be rubbish to dance to? I just love it!

:cheers:
Sandy

Rachel
17th-October-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Will

Respect! I may live down in London, but if you guys are playing Club Tropicana up north of Hadrians Wall, I may have to come and pay a visit! Are you people really serious, or am I missing a heavy dose of sarcasm somewhere??? Club Tropicana of all things ... I hate that song more than anything I have ever heard!!! Are you telling me that people honestly like it?

And trying to say The Doors are '*****' when they are one of the best bands the world has ever produced. As for you, Ceroc Jock, well, that's the last time I try to be nice to you!!

Oh dear, now I'm really beginning to feel as if I've impinged on a world in which I am really out of place, what with Gus talking about dragging Ceroc into the modern day, clubbing gear, etc etc. I'm suddenly feeling very sad, lonely, unhip and untrendy ... sob sob!

My 'ideal' Ceroc evening would consist of nothing but blues and swing music. But, then, I suppose it wouldn't really be Ceroc ... and maybe I just do the wrong type of dancing.

I love Lindy music, but don't like the style of dance. I mean, it's great to watch when done really well, but otherwise just looks scrappy and messy and, sometimes, downright silly. I love the style of Salsa dancing, but am not too keen on a whole evening of nothing but Salsa music...

I know there are plenty of clubs/classes/workshops which focus on blues dancing, but they're not as accessible as the normal Ceroc nights. What kind of music is typically played for West Coast Swing? Maybe that should be my future direction ... though I'd better get the hang of ceroc dancing first, before I try and get into anything more complicated!

I think it was the Camber Sands weekends which really did this to me, though - how could anyone favourably compare the big, bright, pop-y, characterless modern jive room with the dark, sordid, seedy, heavily-spiced atmosphere and underworldy ambience of unspoken promises, lust, desire, dreams ... of the blues/swing room downstairs??? I mean, really ... could you?!
Rachel

Gus
17th-October-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Rachel

I think it was the Camber Sands weekends which really did this to me, though - how could anyone favourably compare the big, bright, pop-y, characterless modern jive room with the dark, sordid, seedy, heavily-spiced atmosphere and underworldy ambience of unspoken promises, lust, desire, dreams ... of the blues/swing room downstairs??? I mean, really ... could you?!
Rachel

Rachel, I'm surprised at you ... who says you need a dark dingy room full of sweaty old men :wink: to dance a dance with the hint of future, yet unfullfilled, dreams .... try a decent dance to "I'm outta love" or "In these shoes" or even Cantaloop with a decent dancer ... say Bill .... I'm sure that they will show what can be done with modern music :yum:

The last three tracks, and many more like them, are played upstairs .... though I've got to admit that the last Jivespree was surprisingly quiet upstairs .... anyway, I look forward to trying to create a more 'lustfull' atmosphere upstairs in Nov ... if I ever get confirmation that I'm DJing again!:reallymad

Rachel
17th-October-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Gus
... try a decent dance to "I'm outta love" or "In these shoes" or even Cantaloop with a decent dancer ... say Bill .... I'm sure that they will show what can be done with modern music :yum:

The last three tracks, and many more like them, are played upstairs .... though I've got to admit that the last Jivespree was surprisingly quiet upstairs .... anyway, I look forward to trying to create a more 'lustfull' atmosphere upstairs in Nov ... if I ever get confirmation that I'm DJing again!:reallymad

I thought that, if anyone replied to this, it would be you, Gus! And, yes, I concede, I do love those tracks you named above - it's just that, generally, there's far too much Kylie, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Julio Iglesias etc rubbish for my liking.

I would certainly LOVE to get a dance with Bill one day ... and you! Tell you what I'll do though - I'll look out for when you're dj-ing at Camber and make sure I'm upstairs for that part of the evening. I'm prepared to be 'educated/modernised'! Otherwise, if anyone wants to find me, I'll be the last person dancing downstairs ...

Rachel
17th-October-2002, 11:56 AM
Or should that be - Enrique Iglesias, or whatever his name is?!

Dreadful Scathe
17th-October-2002, 12:12 PM
Who cares - both awful :)

Rachel
17th-October-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Who cares - both awful :) True - though someone must like this Enrique guy cos he's played, without fail, at every single Ceroc night I go to. And, no, I don't really blame the dj's because people always dance to it.

What I really fancy hearing, Gus, is that Jools Holland song you mentioned some time ago - which you said cleared the floor for a few seconds because it was so unfamiliar to people. I'm a big fan of Jool Holland. And there are loads of danceable Squeeze tracks - though, I spose, Squeeze is a bit 'dark ages', too, isn't it?

Gus
17th-October-2002, 12:34 PM
What I really fancy hearing, Gus, is that Jools Holland song you mentioned some time ago - which you said cleared the floor for a few seconds because it was so unfamiliar to people. I'm a big fan of Jool Holland.

THE album to play, if you want to take a risk, is Small World Big Band. There are 5 cerocable tracks ... including a great fun one with Suggs ... more of a ska beat but its great. Not totaly daft, had a crew day about a month ago and tried all thetracks out on my top dancers ... results most favourable ... BUT, think the average punter may need persuading!

Rachel
17th-October-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Now what I would like to find is some more classic swing of the same quality as Jukebox or Whadayya Want or Just a Gigilo .... tracks like this complement modern classics perfectly but they seem to be few and far between.

Offers?

YES YES YES, please!!!!!

No, no ideas yet - well, I can think of certain tunes, but I'm terrible at knowing/remembering the names of tracks. Like Jukebox - I've requested that so many times and had the dj look at me completely blankly, and so I just assumed it was called something else. I mean, no decent dj would omit that from his collection, would he?

I'll think on it and see if I can put names to any of them ...

Sandy
17th-October-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Gus

THE album to play, if you want to take a risk, is Small World Big Band. There are 5 cerocable tracks ... including a great fun one with Suggs ... more of a ska beat but its great. Not totaly daft, had a crew day about a month ago and tried all thetracks out on my top dancers ... results most favourable ... BUT, think the average punter may need persuading!

As they say - "try it and see". Love Jools Holland.

Sandy:wink:

Rachel
17th-October-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Now what I would like to find is some more classic swing of the same quality as Jukebox or Whadayya Want or Just a Gigilo .... tracks like this complement modern classics perfectly but they seem to be few and far between. Offers? God, this is really frustrating me now - can't remember the names to any of the songs I'm thinking of ... must do some investigations when I get home.

But you know the Screamin Jay Hawkins one, used to be on one of the Levi jeans ads, funeral march-type thing - 'blah blah blah ... sucking on a soda pop ... she's still a virgin but it's only half-past nine ...' Anyone know the song I mean? And then the 'Perhaps, perhaps perhaps' song, and - I realise some may think it's already overplayed - but the 'I'm just a baby in this ... love' one.

Oh and, if I'm thinking of the right one, BB King's 'Don't break your promise'. And there must be some good danceable Al Green (Love and Happiness?) and Howlin Wolf. And, for really controversial, I can think of a couple of Tom Waits tracks that should work nicely. And how about Leonard Cohen's (more upbeat than his usual) Closing Time - that would be [u]amazing[/]!!

Anyway, sorry to be so vague on most of these - if I come up with anything more concrete, I'll get back to you.
Rachel

Dancing Veela
17th-October-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Gus
.........or even Cantaloop with a decent dancer ... say Bill .... I'm sure that they will show what can be done with modern music :yum:

or Cantaloop with a decent dancer....or even..say Bill .........???:devil:

Just joking Bill - honest - promise me you'll still dance with me on Sunday?????

filthycute
17th-October-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Veela

or Cantaloop with a decent dancer....or even..say Bill .........???:devil:

Ok now i'm upset....how the hell did i manage to get my reputation (ie: resident rottweiler, the boogie man,the loony that is a health and safety hazard to all cerocing males, etc.) when it's obvious that DV is far cheekier and damaging than me?? :sick:

I demand that all my angelic rights are re-instated and men should no longer be advised against dancing with the "MAd.filth"
Neither should i be portrayed as the woman that gets "set onto" people. Those rumours about me having fangs and horns are completely untrue!

So guys, the next time your wondering who that shy, timid angelic creature is standing in the corner keeping herself to herself.....

It's probably me :innocent: :innocent:

filthycute x x

(oh the lies, i just can't help myself :devil: ) :yum:

filthycute
17th-October-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by filthycute

yep you defiantely have her mixed up...or!!

ok not for me to say really, but have you had your eyes checked recently??.....

Says me the blind fool who really should get her ass offline and go pick up me new specs :waycool:

filthycute x x

oops! ok i never meant anything by this comment Rachel :sorry

Now if i want wanted to be really bitchy....

....There's a couple of guys i wouldn't mind attacking, but i've just had my nails done and no man is worth wrecking them for :yum:

filthycute x x

Tiggerbabe
17th-October-2002, 06:58 PM

But you know the Screamin Jay Hawkins one, used to be on one of the Levi jeans ads, funeral march-type thing - 'blah blah blah ... sucking on a soda pop ... she's still a virgin but it's only half-past nine ...' Anyone know the song I mean?

Sorry to tell you but they play this one quite often at our West Coast Swing classes and parties.
I've no idea what it's called either as I can never understand what he says - however "she's still a virgin coz it's only 25 to 9 but you can see a million like her down at ???????????????????"

A brilliant track girl - quite right!:yum:

p.s. I've got a copy of it if you want me to send it as an MP3 (or whatever it is you do?):confused:

Curtain
17th-October-2002, 07:26 PM
The track is called Heart Attack & Vine and is a very fine song indeed. I always thought it was a little slow for Ceroc, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Just to add to the Sopie Ellis Bextor debate, I think she's the least attractive thing since the Millennium Dome!! However, Kylie gets my vote as most improved female (how she's changed since Neighbours). Methinks some serious surgery has been done.

Rachel
18th-October-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by bill foreman
And as for the Screaming J Hawkins......yep agree with that and Rachel you'd love the music they play here at West Coast SwingI really must get myself to some WCS classes! Is it very difficult to do? I shall definitely be looking out to see if David and Lily do any WCS workshops.

Originally posted by bill foreman
The only problem with very fast music is there's little time for interpretation and the music is palying faster than my brain works :tears: ..........or gets signals to my extremities ....so slow is better :sorry :eek: :innocent:
I know what you mean! I do like dancing very fast, though, too - it's just the MOR songs which get me bored. I think one of the cleverest things people do is to dance half-speed to fast numbers. Marc can do it, but I'm absolutely hopeless unless he's leading me really strongly. I hear a beat and feel like I have to step on it, and I find it really hard to make my body do otherwise. Marc and I have had some brilliant dances to Mack the Knife, etc. when I'm able to follow him properly but, if it was up to me to lead, I'd be going flat out to try and keep up with the pace of it and it would probably look awful!.
Rachel

DavidB
18th-October-2002, 04:22 PM
I really must get myself to some WCS classes! Is it very difficult to do? I shall definitely be looking out to see if David and Lily do any WCS workshops.Don't hold your breath! We teach on average once a year. We only teach when we get asked (about 3 times a year), and then only when we can actually make it (one of those 3 times).

If you are used to doing footwork then West Coast Swing is no harder to learn than any other dance. The music is typically blues, soul or modern RnB.

David

Rachel
18th-October-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
We only teach when we get asked I'm asking! Pretty pleeeease ...

Well, at least let us know if you are going to be doing anything, would you?

The music is typically blues, soul or modern RnB. David Sounds nice!
R.