PDA

View Full Version : Accidents

jiveoholic
16th-March-2002, 06:29 PM
I would be interested is pooling together information to find out when accidents mostly occur. I shall start with mine over the last 4 yours:

1. Got a black eye when a lady did a simple return at a work party.

2. Did a First move, turned her out and then spun her behind my back and swapped hands behind me without looking. I found my left hand down her throut and gave her toothache.

3. Peformed the "pull the lady through your legs". The one where the lady crouches and you swing your right leg over then pull her through. She did not duck fast enough! Lady was dazed and had to take pain-killers and aborted the dance but woke up next morning without pain. I was still limping the next day but felt it was best not to moan too much! Now I place my hand on her head first to give me tactile feedback as to where her head is as well as sight (or to put it another way "tap her head before getting your leg over")!

4. Was learning an airstep (called rock'n'roll) on the beach in a proper class. Move went wrong as soon as we tried without spotters - do not know how - lady fell on head. Required three oesteopath reatements and stopped her dancing 3 days of her jive holiday.

However, I think more can be learned from "near misses". Most of mine were not the result of doing a "dangerous move" but one of us thinking it one one move and the other thinking it was a different one. Communication here is essential. When a lady asks me to do such and such a dip, now I always go through slowly first to make sure that she is indeed going to plumet herself in a direction that I can move my left leg for support.

Any other good stories?

Franck
18th-March-2002, 04:10 PM
Good idea (if scary subject title :sick: )

Most accidents tend to happen (to me at least) when I see a clear space for me to do the move, and the next moment, another couple has jumped in it... :really:
I once was doing a half-Nelson (where the men bend right down while spinning under their own hand) and failed to notice another couple moving my way... Next thing I know, the other lady's thumb was firmly planted in my right eye :tears: :what: :wink:
Other accidents can happen when you are too busy with your own style to pay proper attention to your partner... :sad:
I was recently too busy finishing a treble spin to notice that partner had actually lost her balance during her own spin and was falling over :really: :sad: I do not think that I could have done anything about it anyway, but I still felt very guilty :sorry

Apart from that, there are very few accidents on a Ceroc night ( based on my experience of the last 10 years in Scotland) - touch wood:wink: mostly the odd bump / clash.

Franck.

DavidB
18th-March-2002, 04:37 PM
The worst by far was learning aerials several years ago. I did a leapfrog, helping the girl go over my head. Unfortunately I didn't help enough. She was ok, but I ended up with whiplash, and wore a surgical collar for 3 weeks. The worst part was explaining it...

I've also had tendonitis in my shoulder that was aggravated by dancing with a 'cocktail shaker' (ie a dancer that insists on shaking his/her hand up and down throughout the dance). That stopped me for a week.

Other than that, just the usual - elbow in my face, ponytails in the eye, fingernails (talons?) drawn across any exposed skin, trodden on by stilettos, sciatica after doing a drop.

Still - I think I get off lightly compared to what some followers have to put up with.

David

Stuart M
18th-March-2002, 04:38 PM
My own entries in the Hall of Shame:

My two worst accidents both happened with beginners, when my leading skills were pretty poor.
Once going through the preztel with a complete novice on her first night, I planted my elbow right in her eye - she never returned to Ceroc - I lost count of the number of times I said sorry!
The second time was when I tried to show a friend how to dance, in the kitchen, at a cocktail party (sounds more like a Cleudo guess than an accident): she ended up on the floor despite being the only sober person in the room!

To go back to cr's point though, the common factors were cramped conditions (the first happened at a ridiculously busy Wednesday night at the GUU), novices, and most importantly, me not leading clearly.

I think that's my worst offences. I'll deny any others...:rolleyes:

SWM

Fox
18th-March-2002, 06:02 PM
Well I've not had many accidents as such but one night at Dundee I was sitting beside some beginners and asked them up to dance, as you do.....unfortunately these women were nervous and had what I now call the grip of death....that's not so bad , but this time they had fingernails like talons of steel. I left that night with my left hand bleeding.....lol.

Fox

Jayne
19th-March-2002, 12:09 PM
Not long after I started ceroc someone mentioned how they hated dancing with women with long nails. I took note and they usually get clipped before I go dancing.:grin:

As for the cocktail shaker, I've had experience of this - and it hurts! Being enthusiastic doesn't make up for injuring your partner!:wink:

As for injuries, I've only had the odd bruise from ceroc. Ceilidh's have resulted in sprained ankles , whilst the vienese waltz can be lethal...

Anyone got any scars from dancing???:what:

Dance safely!
Jayne

Fox
21st-March-2002, 10:19 PM
lol...ok
I'm confused on the cocktail shaker bit....
this I must see!!....(just in case I'm a culprit...hehehe)

Fox

Franck
26th-March-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Fox
lol...ok
I'm confused on the cocktail shaker bit....
this I must see!!....(just in case I'm a culprit...hehehe)

Fox

I think (though I might be wrong) that the cocktail shaker is a slightly over-enthusiastic attempt at marking the beat.
A lot of men will mark the beat of a song while dancing, and it can be quite useful for both them and their partners, as long as it is done with subtlety and style.
Often however, it is done with a vigorous up and down shaking of the hand on every beat which can be both painful and wearisome on their partner...:sick:

This phenomenon is not limited to men by the way, some women can be very tense / strong and force your arm up / down... :really:

There is also a version of Jive (in France) which actually includes this in the style / technique of the dance, where the leading arm is swinging up and down from side to side on most beats... I can't remember what it is called but it is very noticeable.

Generally, your hands / arms should be used for 2 things only:
[list=1]
Leading - This is the most important. Any hand movement will lead your partner, so you should be aware of each movement and make sure they are deliberate.
Style: Especially the spare hand, but also for extra stylistic effect from the leading hand.
[/list=1]

I hope this helps,

Franck.

jiveoholic
26th-March-2002, 02:36 PM
I have a feeling that when Rock'n'roll music comes on, I tend to go all "cocktail-shakery". I find it quite refreshing on odd occasions. However, of those ladies who have expressed an opinion (ie just a statistical sample of 1!), she said "can you teach my man to do that hand shaking stuff"!

There you are - there is no accounting for tastes!

Franck
26th-March-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by crjohnson
I have a feeling that when Rock'n'roll music comes on, I tend to go all "cocktail-shakery". I find it quite refreshing on odd occasions. However, of those ladies who have expressed an opinion (ie just a statistical sample of 1!), she said "can you teach my man to do that hand shaking stuff"!

There you are - there is no accounting for tastes!

That is the problem with describing dancing / movement with words only :sick:

The "hand-shaking stuff" :really: :sorry can be a very effective style / lead tool (as used in the French Rock'n Roll Jive style) and by quite a few guys. The main difference from the (painful :sad: ) Cocktail shaker is that one is done taking into account your partner (and her momentum) and the music, and with added style it can feel great for both parties. The other is done regardless of your partner (and sometimes of the actual beat) :sad: and the only style applied is of the military march type :nice:

I am quite sure that you do the former :wink:

Franck.

Jayne
26th-March-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Franck

I think (though I might be wrong) that the cocktail shaker is a slightly over-enthusiastic attempt at marking the beat.

Yep, that's the cocktail shaker. For anyone having difficulty distinguishing between "marking a beat" and "cocktail shaker" the latter also looks (and feels) like trying to shake the last drop of tomato ketchup out of the bottle... "You know when you've been ketchuped..":wink:

Jayne :nice:

filthycute
26th-March-2002, 06:41 PM
:rolleyes:

I can't say i've caused too many accidents....(erm...i think :rolleyes: ) but i do tend to have this "sticky-out-elbow"
Can't remember what the move is called....some kinda whip around into a dip...but i have got a few guys faces with my lethal elbow :sorry Apart from duct taping it to the side of my head i do try be aware of it when people put me in this move.....just a word of warning guys :wink:

The one thing that does ruffle me though is guys catching my hair when they do returns, etc. As i normally have my hair tied up, it usually results in me finishing the dance looking like a mad bushwoman! :p and i don't think the ducking every time someone turns me looks too hot either :yum:
I know i'm ickle....but NOT that ickle! :innocent:

filthycute x x

Franck
12th-April-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by filthycute
:rolleyes:

I can't say i've caused too many accidents....(erm...i think :rolleyes: ) but i do tend to have this "sticky-out-elbow"
Can't remember what the move is called....some kinda whip around into a dip...but i have got a few guys faces with my lethal elbow :sorry Apart from duct taping it to the side of my head i do try be aware of it when people put me in this move.....just a word of warning guys :wink:
Ah, the lethal elbow... :waycool:
If the man is holding your hand at the time, then it is his responsibility to lean to the right slightly to stay out of the way (after all, he is leading the move and should know what is coming). This applies in particular to the left-handed combs etc...
If however, the dangerous elbow is your free hand, or when you are spinning freely, then a good trick is to tuck-in your arms when spinning / turning. The idea is to always have your hands pointing in the direction of the turn / spin, one arm in front and one in the back (at about waist level). This will help you turn / spin better as well as making it safer for your partner.

The one thing that does ruffle me though is guys catching my hair when they do returns, etc. As i normally have my hair tied up, it usually results in me finishing the dance looking like a mad bushwoman! :p and i don't think the ducking every time someone turns me looks too hot either :yum:
I know i'm ickle....but NOT that ickle! :innocent:

filthycute x x
And I thought you always looked like that :wink: :grin:
Seriously though, this should not happen if the men pay attention and do not get too lazy when dancing... :sad:

Franck.

filthycute
12th-April-2002, 06:13 PM
WHOO-HOO!!!!! something that isn't my fault!!! :D :D :D
Yep it's definately the arm they are turning me with....phew...what a relief! :D

filthycute x x

Now i know who you are Fox you'd best keep your face away from my elbow.....i wouldn't want to hurt you.....by accident of course :innocent: :wink:

Graham
14th-April-2002, 01:05 PM

The idea is to always have your hands pointing in the direction of the turn / spin, one arm in front and one in the back (at about waist level). This will help you turn / spin better as well as making it safer for your partner.

Interestingly this technique actually caused me a problem a couple of weeks back. It was in the intermediate class, and there was a sequence leading into a right-hip to right-hip position. With one particular partner, each time I stepped in beside her, she finished her half spin with leading arm tensed and about 8 inches from her body - in perfect position to land a punch to my stomach :what: . I actually started wondering if it was deliberate!! :wink:

Franck
15th-April-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Graham
she finished her half spin with leading arm tensed and about 8 inches from her body - in perfect position to land a punch to my stomach :what:
There lies the problem, if you are going to use that method of spinning / turning, the hand should be neatly tucked-in close to your body, no more than an inch or 2 anyway...

Lucky you were not taller (or her smaller then) :really: :tears:

Franck.

Fox
15th-April-2002, 03:54 PM

Now i know who you are Fox you'd best keep your face away from my elbow.....i wouldn't want to hurt you.....by accident of course :innocent: :wink:

Damn, I'm so busted!!...hehhhehee

ok, I'm bringing body armour on wednesday, cunningly disguised as a string vest...hehehe

:wink:

Fox
~was gonna string fc along for another couple of weeks~

mckaren
6th-June-2002, 08:12 PM
hurt my ankle last night, skipping with my partner like Morecombe and Wise , sore and swollen ankle now :sad:

Franck
7th-June-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mckaren
hurt my ankle last night, skipping with my partner like Morecombe and Wise , sore and swollen ankle now :sad: Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the ankle, but I was wondering if the "skipping like Morecombe and Wise" bit was a new move? :really:
Congratulations on winning the Double Trouble category, especially as the competition was extremely good too :wink:

Franck.

mckaren
10th-June-2002, 07:10 PM
not a new move but could be the footwork for when the woman is behind the man , with her hand on his shoulder and they're stepping to the right then left. thanks

Lou
26th-June-2002, 02:33 PM
My nastiest was when I was just going from beginner to intermediate. The routine called for both a catapult and a tunnel. Guess who forgot which one she was doing at the time & went under when she should have gone round?

One black eye later.... :sorry

Franck
26th-June-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Guess who forgot which one she was doing at the time & went under when she should have gone round?Little Miss Trouble??? :innocent:

I suppose that after this incident, you paid extra care and attention to the manÕs lead :wink:

Franck.

John S
26th-June-2002, 03:09 PM
A few weeks ago at the Dance Weekend in Wales, my partner (who was relatively new to dancing) was wiggling away behind me and I stepped on her big toe - she was wearing little strappy shoes with no protection - result was the complete loss of her toenail and considerable pain :tears: :sick:

It was the first time I had ever danced with her, and yes that's right - it was the last time too. :sad: (Terry, if you're reading this, I am sooooooo sorry, and I hope you're feeling better. :sad: )

I think it's the only serious dancing accident I have been involved in, and I certainly don't want another one like it! So, ladies, if you see me coming to ask you for a dance, before you agree, best check that you're wearing Doc Martens or hobnailed boots with reinforced toecaps! :sorry

Franck
26th-June-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by John S
result was the complete loss of her toenail and considerable pain :tears: :sick:Ouch... :really:
That is really scary...
I have had the odd high-heel landing on my toes once or twice, and I am sure I have stepped on a few toes (my partnerÕs and other couplesÕ), but never with such dramatic consequences...

I hope she is ok, and still able to dance.
Out of interest, where you wearing any particular type of shoes?

Franck.

Lou
26th-June-2002, 04:15 PM

I suppose that after this incident, you paid extra care and attention to the manÕs lead :wink:

Franck.

:grin: This was a long, long time ago.... honest! I wouldn't dream of even thinking about not following a lead now! :wink:

I think it depends on where you learn. Or maybe it doesn't with Ceroc (but it definitely does with LeRoc). I learnt at a great place for total beginners, however, after about 6 weeks of the same old basic moves, I was desparate to learn something new. However, the gap in standard between their beginners class & intermediates was quite big & I think, if the above accident didn't happen in my first class, it wasn't long after! :grin: I soon learnt, mind...

This place had a good idea, which I've not seen repeated anywhere else. They would teach 3 basic moves in the beginners class, then once that was over, the beginners would move into another room to go over those moves, and learn another move in detail - whilst an intermediate class happened in the main room. Then both classes would join up for a practice/free dance. It did mean they got a lot of beginners staying on right up until the end or the evening.

Franck
26th-June-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Lou
This place had a good idea, which I've not seen repeated anywhere else. They would teach 3 basic moves in the beginners class, then once that was over, the beginners would move into another room to go over those moves, and learn another move in detail - whilst an intermediate class happened in the main room. Then both classes would join up for a practice/free dance. It did mean they got a lot of beginners staying on right up until the end or the evening. This is indeed a great idea, and here (due to space restrictions, ie we donÕt have a spare room) we use the back of the hall for revision with Taxi-dancers. All the Beginners can join in during the Intermediate class and go through all the Beginners moves. This is not compulsory for anyone, and they can just have a drink and watch the Intermediate class instead, but you are right, it does help to keep Beginners until the end of the night and makes them better dancer...
Taxi-dancers are brilliant to have at any Ceroc night and make a huge difference.

Cheers,

Franck.

filthycute
26th-June-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Lou
I wouldn't dream of even thinking about not following a lead now! :wink: Seen as i've never danced with myself i'm not sure but i think i'm every guys nightmare when it comes to leading....(don't take my word for it though:wink: ) Although there is someone in particular who i torment....(you love it really Fox:D ) But i did have a mishap which makes me think about my follow more....
I was in the middle of a very nice dance when i thought my partner was going to do the chair....ooops!! he was trying to put me down after the little lift but i had lifted my legs up, resulting in me lying on the floor and him desperately trying to not fall on top of me :sorry Sorry Roy :sick: now i tend not to do any of the airstep thingys....but i do have a soft spot for the half loop:D V. cool move me thinks :grin:

filthycute x x

Dreadful Scathe
25th-November-2002, 03:20 PM
The worst I think Ive inflicted on someone is an elbow square on the forehead - still not sure exactly how it happened, bad lead or what...dunno. Didnt phase her much though and shes danced with me since - I'm glad theres wasnt a lot of power behind it. Hate to think Ceroc would be forced to ask for first aid volunteers to be on duty when Im there :).

TheTramp
25th-November-2002, 03:57 PM
Heh. This thread is scary. And I'm about to add to it big time. I played rugby at a pretty high level (London Welsh was the culmination) for many years, and did martial arts for over 7 years, and I've had more injuries in 3 years of dancing than in both of those put together. I hope that I'm not getting old :(

Broken wrist - dancing at Casbah, hit a patch of water, slipped, put my hand down (most people think I'd have been better off just breaking my fall with my face), broke my wrist. Danced on for an hour anyhow, then drove 150 miles before going to casualty. Danced 3 nights when I was in plaster.

Partly torn ligament in right knee. Damaged just before the airsteps competition at beach boogie. My entire leg from just above the knee to my ankle was black. Very nasty :(

Damaged peroneous tendon in left foot. Done again at beach boogie (I'm not going there again without comprehensive insurance). Had only been there 30 mins. Okie, so I was playing volleyball, and not actually dancing. But it was at a dance venue type place. One month off work. 2 weeks off dancing. Don't tell my boss!!! :rolleyes:

Numerous elbows in the face, and knocked off glasses.

It's all worth it though. Isn't it???

Steve

Jon
25th-November-2002, 08:17 PM
Jesus Tramp you have been abit unlucky.

I won't tell your boss if you don't tell mine. I was off sick too with flu but started dancing again before going back to work! I call it Ceroc Physio :wink:

Gadget
25th-November-2002, 10:45 PM
I have managed to smash my glasses on a certain cobbled flooring at one dance, and there have been a couple of times I have caught them flying through the air. The most serious impact I have had was one of miss-timing of another couple and myself, where I backed into a lady as she was propelled into me. I think that the shock was greater than the impact though - I grovled profuseley and danced a couple of dances later in the evening with her.

On a slight tangent, the subject of pain tolerance has been discussed in fencing circles, and the conclusion was that we train to over-ride the body's instinctive reaction to being hit and so can generally ignore most minor collisions and impacts. I realise that this doesn't add anything to dancing, but I am curious to others views on whether martial arts training leads to better awareness (and so less collision when dancing in a compact space), or more arrogance (will accept taking a few hits and crowd the dance floor even more, resulting in my partner taking a few knocks as well) ?

I must confess that in the excitement of the night, I was a bit guilty of the latter :sorry - but it was not a conscious decision; more the Ceroc zombie in me 'hear music:must dance'...'hear music:must dance'...'hear music:must dance'.

Gary
26th-November-2002, 12:26 AM
Numerous elbows in the face, and knocked off glasses.

I got my glasses knocked off and bent out of shape enough times that I always wear contact lenses for dancing now.

DavidB
26th-November-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by gcapell
I got my glasses knocked off and bent out of shape enough times that I always wear contact lenses for dancing now. Contact lenses are not dance-proof. We did a cabaret a few months ago for Jive+ in Oxford. In the middle of the routine one of my contacts popped out. I carried on - I thought it wouldn't be a problem.

However....

Our last lift in the routine is an overhead lift with Lily sitting on my hand. She then straightens her leg so that I can hold her foot to get out of the lift. Unfortunately I'm so short-sighted that I couldn't actually see her foot! I just stuck my hand up in the air - I figured her foot must be somewhere near the end of her leg...

David

TheTramp
26th-November-2002, 05:17 AM
I figured her foot must be somewhere near the end of her leg...
Your knowledge of the female anatomy is second only to your dancing skills David!! So do tell, was it there?? :wink:

I wish I could wear contacts, but unfortunately my eyes are too sensitive (just like the rest of me). So I'll just have to go on getting the glasses knocked off :(

Steve

Emma
26th-November-2002, 10:16 AM
There was a woman at Camber who on the first night of dancing got hit in the face with a ring. Her cheekbone was very badly cut open and her eye blacked. A couple of inches upwards and it would have been a very serious accident rather than an unpleasant disfiguring one. The lady who had hit her didn't even apologise - possibly didn't even realise that it'd happened. It's made me a lot more aware of what jewellery I'm wearing...Usually I wear a very heavy silver bracelet but I've decided it's better left at home when I'm dancing...wouldn't want to knock someone out (unless they were putting me into drops without asking, of course).

Fran
26th-November-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp

I wish I could wear contacts, but unfortunately my eyes are too sensitive (just like the rest of me). So I'll just have to go on getting the glasses knocked off :(

Steve

same here steve - I cant wear contacts either, when my mother visits she always drop huge hints like - "do you have to wear your glasses, you would look so much better with out them!" but the truth is I cant see without them and cant see the mans face clearly and miss the hand signals.

I have had them knocked off several times and damaged, but the funniest is when they "locked" with a dance partners glasses! we were stuck fro a few moments!!!!
some times they get in the way when I am blusesing:-( I am sure that Bill has had his face scratched with them - and if anyone else has, I am really sorry:sorry :sorry

When I first started dancing I was suffering from whiplash and having treatment at the local hospital - never told them that I was dancing but I am sure it helped me get better!!!!!:wink: Did have a bit of a panic when I realised that one of our teachers partners was a phyiso at the unit I was attending!! - I hid alot.

Fran:nice:

Bill
26th-November-2002, 03:10 PM
Well............what an injury list. :eek: :sick:

To the best of my knowledge I haven't damaged anyone i've danced with - probably because I try and avoid crowded dance floors and don't play volleyball ( or any other contact sports ! - bad back !:sick: :rolleyes: ). And as I prefer Blues the floor has more space and fewer flying elbows and feet....and I can keep my partner safe - that's the real reason I love UCP......honest !!

Only once I can think of when a partner drew blood - at a V& L workshop in Edinburgh and I was trying a move with Lorna (:D :sorry )...having just agreed on how the move could go wrong...it did and I had a smack in the mouth. But being the man I was I smiled, walked slowly to the toilet and cried alone :tears: :wink: ........... I'm pretty sure it was an accident. But as it was Lorna.....it had to be my fault :na: :rolleyes:

Jon
27th-November-2002, 12:45 AM
On the whole jewellery isn't a problem but on occasion I have danced with people who wear rings. And not ones that are smooth but ones with jagged edges or diamonds in them. Ouch!!!!!. I even walked off the dance floor during the class once as I kept getting the same lady.:reallymad My fingers almost needed plasters!.

Jon
27th-November-2002, 12:54 AM
Alot has been said about accidents. But what really annoys me are those people who bump into you, stamp on your foot/leg etc and don't even appologise but carry on dancing as if nothing has happened.

I've been in agony before after being stamped on and no acknowledgement from the person who did it. I've had to escort my partner hobbling off of the dance floor after a large man has kicked her leg before, and again no appology.

Accidents do happen but an acknowledgement goes a long way to making you feel better. On the occasion when I have accidently knocked into another person after the dance I made the effort of going up to them and appologising and making sure theyre ok.

Graham
17th-May-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, I picked up a dance injury last night - the Chick drew blood when she stabbed me with her claw :tears: . I hope she gets them trimmed before we dance again! :wink:

Fran
17th-May-2003, 02:48 PM
Well, I picked up a dance injury last night - the Chick drew blood when she stabbed me with her claw :tears: . I hope she gets them trimmed before we dance again! :wink:

Not just a girl problem!!!!!! - I still have the wound on my wrist from the London comp 2 weeks ago - and that was from Bill!!!!!!!! :eek:

Actually had a few cuts over the years from male dancers:tears: :tears: . Although I do have every sympathey for the guys ( or who ever is leading) as the rings which ladies wear are often a real hazard. when I was a taxi dancer I always made a point of telling new woman about the hurt which the rings cause the leaders's hands. It is not something you always appreciate unless its pointed out and its not intentional.

must now go and find that nail file!!!

franx

Wendy
17th-May-2003, 02:56 PM
Well, I picked up a dance injury last night - the Chick drew blood when she stabbed me with her claw :tears:So like Heather, you can see dead people !! And not only that - you dance with them.....thought you looked a bit odd dancing by yourself.... a few people commented on it - but hey, the passing of a loved one can affect you in so many different ways ....

Wxxx

Chicklet
19th-May-2003, 03:07 PM
I am SOOOOOOOOO chuffed that I managed to do something promting G-man to resurrect a 7 MONTH OLD thread to tell everybody about!!!!!!!:waycool:

Have now sharpened them and painted them red so you can see them coming. It's the fashion down here - you should see the marks on the guys' naked backs....

seriously ....:sorry

Heather
19th-May-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
So like Heather, you can see dead people !! And not only that - you dance with them.....thought you looked a bit odd dancing by yourself.... a few people commented on it - but hey, the passing of a loved one can affect you in so many different ways ....

Wxxx

It would appear that it's not only us Dundee girls that are MAd!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:hug:
Heather,
XX

Beowulf
10th-July-2003, 09:57 AM
I'm an Accident Magnet. :sad:

1st Night, a very nice young girl punched me in the nose. Sure it was my fault (and if you're out there reading this I apologise for hitting your fist with my nose! :wink: )

2nd Night, going into the ..wossname..erm.. catapault. I didn't let the lady spin freely but gripped her hand. She in turn gripped mine (two beginners) Spun her, turned round, extended my spare hand being me, stretched.. felt a nasty sort of popping sensation in my shoulder! :eek: Eek. Luckily I'm double jointed .. i'm like one of those old toy animals where you press the base in and it crumples only to reform when you let go!

I'm dreading 3rd Night! :sick:

Beowulf
10th-July-2003, 10:09 AM

1st Night, a very nice young girl punched me in the nose. Sure it was my fault (and if you're out there reading this I apologise for hitting your fist with my nose! :wink: )

2nd Night, going into the ..wossname..erm.. catapault. I didn't let the lady spin freely but gripped her hand. She in turn gripped mine (two beginners) Spun her, turned round, extended my spare hand being me, stretched.. felt a nasty sort of popping sensation in my shoulder! :eek: Eek. Luckily I'm double jointed .. i'm like one of those old toy animals where you press the base in and it crumples only to reform when you let go!

Dreadful Scathe
10th-July-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Beowulf1970

Im dreading the 3rd post of the same message :)

Bill
10th-July-2003, 02:06 PM

I'm on duty tonight so I'll take a first aid box, some boxing gloves and a stretcher just in case :wink:

Beowulf
10th-July-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Sorry.. Had a glitch! Did a page refresh by accident.. Won't happen again!

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Dreadful Scathe
10th-July-2003, 04:13 PM

Would have been funnier if youd just posted an identical message again. You need to come to me for comic tips......and do the opposite probably :)

Boomer
18th-October-2003, 12:39 AM
Well, almost three months in, and nothing major. So far have been almost brained by a homicidal ponytail, and nearly had my arm wenched out at the shoulder by some very determined ‘back-leading’ (not you Nina). Mind you, have a feeling that when a certain package arrives from our man McGregster, I might be adding to my list of ‘accidents’:what:

:nice:

Tazmanian Devil
18th-October-2003, 04:04 AM
Been quite lucky so far no accidents except the occasional person flying into me or vise versa but this just cant be helped when your on a crowded dance floor and the man leads you straight into someone.:wink:

ChrisA
18th-October-2003, 11:45 AM
Not really an accident, but there's one lady that asks me to dance sometimes - I won't say where - and for the first few times it made me feel a bit seasick.:really: :really:

I kid you not... I didn't associate it with her dancing the first time, but when it happened again I noticed the effect again - it was mild, but definitely real, and not very nice.

Nothing to do with spinning, either.

She has a style whereby she goes up and down in time with the music (up (a lot) on a step forward, down (a lot) on a step back), and visually it's a bit like being on a the moving deck of a ship.

It was very weird. If she asks me to dance now, I can control the effect by looking away more, so it's mostly Ok.

She'a a really nice person, just a bit strange to dance with.

Chris

Mary
18th-October-2003, 02:40 PM
OK. I think I have a couple of corkers. Dancing at Hipsters one night with a well-known face on the dance circuit I got a little too close at the end of his spin and had his elbow firmly smacked in my ear. I felt a bit stunned and he was mortified, but I smiled and carried on bravely as I didn't want to make a fuss. However, my jaw had been knocked askew making some dental work I was having done a tad tricky.

My other incident was with my own partner (not Sheepy). We had learnt the 'skipping rope' with Andy and Rena and were able to execute the move consistently well on the day. We decided to practise again a few days later!!! The result was both heels firmly in the goolies. :tears: :tears: Tony squeeked bravely on for the rest of the evening!:blush:

M

ChrisA
18th-October-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
Mind you, have a feeling that when a certain package arrives from our man McGregster, I might be adding to my list of ‘accidents’:what:

I'll start calling you the Shirtster, and that'll be no accident...

:mad: :mad:

Jon L
21st-October-2003, 12:32 AM
Receiving Accidents:

I have been "nailed" twice - once was in Hammersmith accross the right ear, the second time was in Melbourne across my right forearm.

I was once elbowed by a big guy in a class who wasn't being careful'

Tumbles:

I have ended on my bum four times

First move basic jump at Hammersmith - I am not overkeen on this move now

Doing an intermediate class in Perth Western Australia

St. Mary's right arm nelson seducer

Letting go in a move on a bounce into out and touch the floor the loss of contact with the left arm means we both end up on our bums

Pammy
21st-October-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm saying nothing, I'm saying nothing :wink:

It was an accident I tell you, an accident!

Lorna
21st-October-2003, 11:35 PM
Hi,

Steve and I had an awful accident in Perth on Thursday past.

It was a really fast track and I was doing my best to follow him but I misread a move and as a result i ended up crashing to the floor with Steve on top of me. :really:

It was bloody awful, as I think we pushed a few couples off the dancefloor on our way down. I put my hand up and say it was a result of me trying to lead. Mmm... not like me :wink:

And this is from the one who stands on stage week in week out lecturing to women about their leading and telling them never to throw themself into a dip. At least I can laugh at myself and anyway, I'm sure I'll say to my daughter in years to come : Do as I say not as I do!!! :na: :na:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

TheTramp
22nd-October-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Lorna
It was a really fast track and I was doing my best to follow him but I misread a move and as a result i ended up crashing to the floor with Steve on top of me. :really: And the best thing, is that Lorna thinks that I didn't intend for it to happen :wink:

Steve

Emma
22nd-October-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
And the best thing, is that Lorna thinks that I didn't intend for it to happen :wink: Did your trousers stay up? :wink:

Forte
22nd-October-2003, 09:05 AM
In freestyle I have been head butted twice by you, Steve and I think you knocked my glasses off once ...you did say it is always the man's fault, didn't you! (and nothing to do with the fact that I am justabeginner...really)...:wink:

Graham
22nd-October-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Forte
In freestyle I have been head butted twice by you, Steve and I think you knocked my glasses off once ...you did say it is always the man's fault, didn't you! (and nothing to do with the fact that I am justabeginner...really)...:wink: Have you been headbutted by anyone else? If not, kinda suggests that it's not you who's planting your face on your lead's head! :grin: And just think of the harm you could have come to if he didn't like you!!!! :really: :really: :really:

Jon L
22nd-October-2003, 12:05 PM
Another thing that I don' t enjoy too much is dancing with my partner next to the couple if they very tall

My opinion of tall men, is that they can if they are also broad be 'blind' to dancers who are shorter. Being only 5 feet 5 tall, it makes feel a bit cramped!

I have occasionally been 'shoulder struck' by tall men ( I admit I have broad shoulders), and have felt like taping warning chevrons to the top of my shirt.

Ian W
22nd-October-2003, 04:51 PM
You know that move where you are holding mens RH to ladies RH, step back and offer your LH behind back, release RH and both turn 180 degrees CW and click your fingers in unison, then turn 180 ACW and click again?

When I was learning I went to a few of the workshops at Marcos, where we were taught this move. I dont know what happened, but when I turned clockwise to click my fingers, the lady (from fife, I think) turned anticlockwise and I ended up punching her on the mouth :eek:. I felt really guilty after that, though she did see the funny side to it. Thankfully its never come close to happening again :).

If there isnt much room on the dance floor, then one thing I try to do when stepping back is unweight my foot and slide it back instead of actually lifting it and taking a 'normal' step back.

That way you can avoid stepping on someones toes, or bashing thier ankles.

What do other guys do? How far do you normally raise your heel when stepping back?

Ian

Boomer
22nd-October-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ianw

If there isnt much room on the dance floor, then one thing I try to do when stepping back is unweight my foot and slide it back instead of actually lifting it and taking a 'normal' step back.

That way you can avoid stepping on someones...., or bashing thier ....

What do other guys do? How far do you normally raise your heel when stepping back?

Ian

Wise words there.

I've actually realised that after doing Karate for a fer years (a long while ago I admit) muscle-memory is causing me to slide instead of stepping back, to the side etc. I also have to admit that doing some of the moves, M.M (muscle memory) has nearly been the cause of some very serious/uncomfortable accidents. Am I alone in this?

Thank you very much Pammy. Sorry Minnie

Pammy
22nd-October-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
M.M has nearly been the cause of some very serious/uncomfortable accidents. Am I alone in this?

Depends if you mean muscle memory or minnie mouse? :wink:

DavidB
22nd-October-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by ianw
If there isnt much room on the dance floor, then one thing I try to do when stepping back is unweight my foot and slide it back instead of actually lifting it and taking a 'normal' step back. I think it isn't so much how you step back, as where you step back. I usually try to step back into the space where the lady has just come from. Everyone aims for the gaps in the floor, and I am the only person who knows when that particular gap will be available. If I know where I am going to go, I can spend more time worrying where to place the lady.

My other technique for not stepping on anyone is not to move my feet...

David

Chris
23rd-October-2003, 10:35 PM
Stepping into the lady's space - that reminds me of Amir's technique of 'rounded' dancing rather than the 'slot' dancing favoured by most Ceroc teachers (which is much easier to teach on stage perhaps). I like to use the lady's momentum to help me choose the next move, which is maybe along similar lines, or maybe something else.

On 'stepping' generally, I came across a lovely quote on a latin page. Whilst essential for latin, it can be applied with equal effect to Ceroc:

"When you step, whether forward, backward or side, step onto the inside ball of your foot (big toe), roll your foot onto the small ball (little toe) and imagine you are squashing a grape under your heel, place the foot flatly onto the floor, straightening the leg. If you have done this correctly, your body weight is now on the foot you have lowered and you should be able to stand on one leg without falling over. "

DavidB
24th-October-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Stepping into the lady's space - that reminds me of Amir's technique of 'rounded' dancing rather than the 'slot' dancing favoured by most Ceroc teachers (which is much easier to teach on stage perhaps). I usually dance in a slot - partly because I do a lot of WCS, but also because I tend to dance at the edge of the floor. Teaching in a slot usually makes it less confusing for the class - it makes it easier to relate your position to the teacher. Out of a class, most people dance in a circle.

I first heard the idea of moving into 'occupied' space from an interview with Damon Hill (the ex Formula 1 world champion). I think he was talking about racing cars, not dancing. But it seems to work!

I like to use the lady's momentum to help me choose the next move, which is maybe along similar lines, or maybe something else.A couple of times recently I've tried to work out how I choose the next move. I consciously think of about 3 moves - the rest of the time I just hold onto a hand and see what happens

Lounge Lizard
24th-October-2003, 09:08 AM
I wish some guys would sent the ladies into un-occupied space, dancefloor technique can be really bat at certain venues
Occassionaly the lady will treat the dance like the dodgems at a fun fair, but I think mainly it is the guys not controlling the dance.

Worst accident I saw was guy wrapped lady into front basket, raised RH behind her head then LH, slid hi hands to her waist and spun the lady with both hands behind her head.

Silly boy did not step back, as she spun the ladies elbow crashed into his mouth :what:
14 stitches for her and broken teeth for him
:tears:

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 05:13 PM
The talk of head butting reminds me of a minor accident, a "chest butt", my partner was leading a duck under turn and I came up too close with my face in her chest, no injuries though, and we know each other well enough :really: to just laugh it off.

More embarrassingly, just last Sunday at RBs, after being asked to dance by an unfamiliar lady, within about 4 bars she was on the floor on her butt, just a slip after a simple first move push away. She was fine, but about one minute later, had to hobble off due to an old foot injury that needed attention. There was no connection between the 2 incidents, but anyone who was watching (Peter), must have thought I'd ruined her dancing for the rest of the night. :sad: :sad:

Greg

Forte
28th-October-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I usually dance in a slot - partly because I do a lot of WCS, but

What's WCS and while I am at it what's DWAS ? (I have worked out what IMHO is all on my own...:blush: )

Some of us are new here....:hug:

ChrisA
28th-October-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Forte
What's WCS and while I am at it what's DWAS ? (I have worked out what IMHO is all on my own...:blush: )

Some of us are new here....:hug:
WCS is "West Coast Swing" - danced to slow music. I didn't know what it was either until about a month ago :)

DWAS stands for "Dance with a Stranger" - a competition category. I've never competed - not in jive, anyway - but that category really appeals to me.

HTH :wink:

Chris

(= "hope that helps" :D)

Forte
28th-October-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
WCS is "West Coast Swing" - danced to slow music. I didn't know what it was either until about a month ago :)

DWAS stands for "Dance with a Stranger" - a competition category. I've never competed - not in jive, anyway - but that category really appeals to me.

HTH :wink:

Chris

(= "hope that helps" :D)

It does! :hug:

ChrisA
28th-October-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
just a slip after a simple first move push away. Greg
Not that really slippery spot by the stage, by any chance? I nearly went flying there, and i had to catch someone else who did...

Was it talc on the floor? If so, that's one for the Grrr thread...

Chris

Pammy
28th-October-2003, 05:40 PM
Not that really slippery spot by the stage, by any chance? I nearly went flying there, and i had to catch someone else who did...

Was it talc on the floor? If so, that's one for the Grrr thread...

Chris

SshhhhhhHHHH; Sheepy has been known to use the odd bit of talk himself whistles quietly to herself hoping she's not spotted as the grass

Dreadful Scathe
28th-October-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Silly boy did not step back, as she spun the ladies elbow crashed into his mouth :what:
14 stitches for her and broken teeth for him
:tears:

Wow, thats what i call a spin - or at least it would have been! By the decription of the move, he was asking for it - shame about the ladies arms though !

Theres a very smiley girl Ive dance with a few times at the jive bar and in Edinburgh when she came up - I managed to elbow her square in the forehead once, not entirely sure why, i think she was moving toward me rather than away after a confusing lead - luckily it wasnt serious it just served as an effective 'stop' and she was still smiling :). Thats my worst one, but i have been headbutted, punched, stood on and elbowed several times (not all in the same dance). Usually my partner is the culprit, and its sometimes due to them anticipating a move i think, but i have been hit by people dancing next to me before too :). Still thats only a few incidents over a long period of time :).

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 06:11 PM
Was it talc on the floor? It was, but it wasn't mine, some floors you do need it, but not that one.

In fact that slippery bit resulted in my most spectacular move ever, (only my partner saw it), we shot across the talced bit, and I managed to recover from an unrecoverable fall, can't remember how much my partner helped, but I wish I could repeat this move!

Oh, and another accident at RBs, Friday night, one of the most spectacular, popular, and highly rated dancers (whose name I won't mention) punched me full on in the face as she came round in a spin, while my partner and I slid by. I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt, but I did ask my partner to let me know if blood started streaming down my face. To make matters worse, the lady in question didn't even dance with me that night :really: Her hand was OK though. :grin:

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
28th-October-2003, 06:19 PM
and highly rated dancers (whose name I won't mention) punched me full on in the face as she came round in a spin

Can't have been Lily you wouldnt have felt it..actually i take that back, ive seen her spin, and size doesnt necessarily = power does it :). I assume she is now a highly rated puncher too ? :)

I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt,

Thats the manly thing to do, stiff upper lip and all that.
Makes me wonder would tears (or bleeting? :)) help us guys get more dance partners or less ? Do good male dancers cry? theres a poll idea :)

Lounge Lizard
29th-October-2003, 03:24 PM
I cant imagine any men using the sympathy vote to enhance their popularity - us guys are not like that - are we :wink:

LilyB
29th-October-2003, 04:19 PM
...Oh, and another accident at RBs, Friday night, one of the most spectacular, popular, and highly rated dancers (whose name I won't mention) punched me full on in the face as she came round in a spin, while my partner and I slid by. I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt, but I did ask my partner to let me know if blood started streaming down my face. Oooooops!!! :sorry :sorry :sorry
...To make matters worse, the lady in question didn't even dance with me that night :really: Her hand was OK though. :grin: Greg That's because you didn't ask me. I knew you wouldn't forgive me!!! :tears: :tears: :tears:

LilyB

PS - Must learn to spin better, must learn to spin better, must learn to spin better .......

Dreadful Scathe
29th-October-2003, 04:40 PM
did i guess right - it was Lily :D

fancy that :)

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
That's because you didn't ask me. I knew you wouldn't forgive me!!! :tears: :tears: :tears:
PS - Must learn to spin better, must learn to spin better, must learn to spin better .......
Rubbish on all 3 counts m'lord!

1. I did ask you, but not till the next day - 'cos I hardly saw you the rest of that night. :tears:

2. Forgive you? Rubbish, don't get me started! There was nothing to forgive, just one of those dancing incidents, we just happened to have slots at right angles to each other.

3. Spin better ? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

G x

Chris
29th-October-2003, 06:55 PM
One helpful tip I got from a fiesty Dundonian lass (though I think she was commenting more about by nerdish attempts to dress stylishly). Simply if you're wearing trainers / jazz shoes, you can tuck the laces in (either after you've tied them, or thread them in a way so the ends doen't stick out in a prissy bow).

It's means there's not a stray lace that can come undone (and possibly cause an accident) and they're also easier to slip on and off.

DavidB
29th-October-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
PS - Must learn to spin better, must learn to spin better, must learn to spin better ....... About time. I'm fed up of having to crank you round every time I lead half a turn!

ChrisA
29th-October-2003, 07:13 PM
About time. I'm fed up of having to crank you round every time I lead half a turn! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Will
29th-October-2003, 08:22 PM
About time. I'm fed up of having to crank you round every time I lead half a turn!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-November-2003, 01:24 PM
Spooky. Just had my worst ever dance accident at Route666 on Friday night - was leading my partner away and into a spin on a crowded dance floor, so i was closer than i otherwise would have been i think - but she spun back toward me instead with elbows up. Im taking the blame for a weak lead of course. The elbow got me right above the eye and proceded to stream blood everywhere. Especially hilarious as i was dressed as a vampire at the time and bystanders at the bar when i went to get ice thought this 'fake blood bleeding from the eyes' was particularly cool. :D ...for a few seconds at least.

Alex from Dundee makes a great nurse too, i recommend him :D

Dance Demon
3rd-November-2003, 06:05 PM
Hey Scathe...maybe it was caused by a malevolent spirit...there was a spiritualist meeting in the hall on Thursday night , just after we had decorated it like a graveyard:what: :what: ...should have got Stuart the priest to excorcise it........................:really:

Boy Wonder
4th-November-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeh - crowded dance floors restrict dance technique, thats if i have any of course!!
I was the perpetrater of an unfortunate incident on friday with my attractive female partner in that excellent venue R66. I starred as the lead role assasin and executed the most cynical of dance crimes - the half nelson blow to the face! She didn't even see it coming!
I offer the most sincere apology to the 'white angel' costumed lady and hope the dentist bill was reasonable!!
I will take greater care next time we dance if she has forgiven me.:hug:

Forte
4th-November-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Boy Wonder
Yeh - crowded dance floors restrict dance technique, thats if i have any of course!!
I was the perpetrater of an unfortunate incident on friday with my attractive female partner in that excellent venue R66. I starred as the lead role assasin and executed the most cynical of dance crimes - the half nelson blow to the face! She didn't even see it coming!
I offer the most sincere apology to the 'white angel' costumed lady and hope the dentist bill was reasonable!!
I will take greater care next time we dance if she has forgiven me.:hug:

She's an "angel" so of course she will forgive you...:wink:

uk-jive
26th-November-2003, 04:25 PM
My worst accident resulted in my dance partner knocking my glasses off, sending them spinning across the dance floor and smashing! The lady in question had to drive me home to get a spare pair!

This 'incident' resulted in us going out together for some time... So it wasn't all bad news! :kiss:

On a more serious note, I wonder how many dance venues have properly trained first aiders on site? The reason I ask is that every now & again there is a fatality at a dance venue.

On one occasion a year or so ago, I was DJ'ing in Thatcham where a male dancer had a heart attack. Sadly, he couldn't be revived, despite the best efforts of all concerned.

As you can imagine, this was very distressing for everyone. If I ever play Dario G - Sunchyme now, I still recall the events - (This was the track I was playing at the time).

Unbelievably, the same thing happened to the owner of the organisation at a different venue just 1 week later.

I believe this has happened at least once to a number of the larger franchises / organisations across the country.

So, do all organisers have first aiders? Would you know what to do if someone collapsed next to you? (It scared the cr@p out of me).

Gus
26th-November-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by uk-jive
So, do all organisers have first aiders? Would you know what to do if someone collapsed next to you? (It scared the cr@p out of me).

Lets guess ... I was estimate the number is an integer less than one.

When I set up my first club I activley made sure that at least two of my cr4ew were first aiders ... and knew that at least a couple of my regulars were nurses. Only time we needed them was when a lady had decided not to take her medication and proceded to have an epeleptic fit. I saw her collpase from the stage while I was teaching the lesson ... and as you said it does tend to the scare one somewhat. We cleared the floor and put out a call for anyone with medical training and nearly got stampeded by about 4 first aiders and 3 nurses coming out the class ... very re-assuring.

One would have thought that as part of a club's insurance, the insurer would insist on the provision of some kind of first aid being on call?

Daisy
27th-November-2003, 01:14 AM
Am I the only person to have been knocked out on the dance floor?

My little accident happened at Hipsters about 3 weeks ago. The dance floor was very crowded and as far as I remember no-one was doing anything silly. A guys head collided with the back of mine a such speed I thought I'd been hit with a bowling ball....talk about seeing stars! :sick:

However, after about half an hour Viktor asked me to dance and I suddenly felt much better....what a tonic!:yum:

Took me a couple of days to remember my name though!:confused:

ChrisA
27th-November-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Daisy
as far as I remember no-one was doing anything silly. A guys head collided with the back of mine a such speed I thought I'd been hit with a bowling ball....
I do find it hard to understand how his head could have collided with yours without something weird going on.

Elbows maybe, heads, how?

I've danced with you Daisy - I wouldn't put you within a million miles of the "wild and uncoordinated" end of the spectrum.

Chris

Lory
27th-November-2003, 09:44 AM

No your not Daisy, I was at Finchley a few months ago now and a lady was knocked clean off her feet by someones leg sweeping round, she was 'out' for about 5minutes and didn't come back to dancing for a couple of weeks after that.

I also had an experience at Hipsters a few weeks ago while dancing with DavidB, a mans elbow hit me in the side of the neck, HARD, I didn't pass out but I did see stars! :rolleyes:

stewart38
27th-November-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Gus

One would have thought that as part of a club's insurance, the insurer would insist on the provision of some kind of first aid being on call?

No we don't do that, Volunteers even with the best intension can do more harm then good. Although most Public Liability policies will cover first aiders wether qualified or not. Bandages are good though

Incidently i wonder how many operations cover their 'employees' which would include Taxi dancers,DJs and cover Professional Indemnity exposure :sick:

Incidentally I see we gave advice to ceroc in 1999 but such details are not for a public forum :blush:

Sheepman
27th-November-2003, 02:44 PM
In Brighton about 6 years ago, a friend was knocked clean out by this lady's foot swinging round at head height. She gave up dancing not long after that, a real shame 'cos she would have been a star.
The lady whose foot did the damage was up on this guy's shoulders. She must have been around 14stone, and all in a packed venue. :really:

But it always seems to be the women that are getting knocked out, how about the men? I suppose it is more likely as they do most of the spinning, but are we taking enough care of our partners?

Greg

TheTramp
27th-November-2003, 02:59 PM
In Brighton about 6 years ago, a friend was knocked clean out by this lady's foot swinging round at head height. She gave up dancing not long after that, a real shame 'cos she would have been a star.
The lady whose foot did the damage was up on this guy's shoulders. She must have been around 14stone, and all in a packed venue. :really: Hmmm. I think that you could probably sue for something like this. It could almost certainly be classed as a criminal act of assault....

Wicked recklessness and all that.

Steve

ChrisA
27th-November-2003, 03:03 PM
but are we taking enough care of our partners?

Clearly not. There are lots of contributory factors....

Some blokes get carried away. They get caught up in the moment and forget to be considerate of others. I've been guilty of this in the past.

Others are not able to maintain an awareness of what's going on around them as well as dance. Is this surprising given that so many of them can't walk and count at the same time?

Still others don't give a sh*t - they assume that they're doing fine, and fail to notice that the reason they're not injuring people is because the surrounding dancers spend all their time avoiding them.

As with yankers, stinkers and perverts, I think the ladies being used as battering rams should consider speaking up a bit more, rather than just tolerating mistreatment, and I think venue managers and teachers should push dance-floor etiquette harder.

Those that are sensitive enough to take a hint don't need the education... and those that need the education are too damn selfish to notice hints. So I think the volume should be increased.

Chris

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 04:29 PM
Clearly not. There are lots of contributory factors....

Still others don't give a sh*t - they assume that they're doing fine, and fail to notice that the reason they're not injuring people is because the surrounding dancers spend all their time avoiding them.
I think venue managers and teachers should push dance-floor etiquette harder.

Those that are sensitive enough to take a hint don't need the education... and those that need the education are too damn selfish to notice hints. So I think the volume should be increased.

Chris

Sadly Chris, I think no matter how hard any teacher or manager pushes etiquette, the silly people guilty of inconsiderate dancing will just continue completely oblivious.. they will not realise it's them, they will presume it is someone else.. These people are the same ones who never indicate in thier cars, never look when they pull out and pretend the Mini they are driving is as wide as a ruddy truck.. :tears: It can only be dealt with on a small scale by talking to individuals at the time when they are getting carried away...

Dan
27th-November-2003, 04:37 PM

"Some blokes get carried away. They get caught up in the moment and forget to be considerate of others. "

I know a male dancer who loves to drop his partners within 2 inches of the floor even in a very crowded venue. Whilst he is careful enough to select the girls who agree and are able to perform a drop to almost horizontal level, the risks of another dancer stepping back at the wrong time is constantly there. My feet have been gouged a couple of times by girls wearing pointed heels and a person's head just above floor level is just too risky.

I must admit that I have not done anything to stop it. Come to think of it, what would be the first port of call? the guy himself or the venue manager? You keep wondering whether the girls mind as most of them are experienced dancers and know their way around the floor.

Whilst on this subject. What are the venue managers' opinion on very pointed stillettoes on the dance floor? Many beginners will wear unsuitable footwear including flip flops and it is rare these days for the teachers to comment on the unsuitability of footwear. Flip flips cause no damage, but stillettoes often do to people and no doubt to the dancefloor.

Daisy
27th-November-2003, 04:47 PM
I do find it hard to understand how his head could have collided with yours without something weird going on.

Elbows maybe, heads, how?

I've danced with you Daisy - I wouldn't put you within a million miles of the "wild and uncoordinated" end of the spectrum.

Chris

Thanks for the comment Chris....I do my best to keep it together on the dance floor.
I'm really not sure how it happened but it is clear that 'we', meaning all of us, need to be more aware of what is going on around us. It's unfortunate if two dancers head, literally, for the same space at speed. Accidents do happen but like everything , they can be avoided with more care.

Maybe dance venue organisers need to take more responsibility for the number of people being allowed to dance at any one time. Overcrowding does seem to be a major contributor.

I can understand why people can be put off after a nasty accident....I feel quite scared dancing in a crowd now, I'm terrified of getting clobbered again.

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Andr

Whilst on this subject. What are the venue managers' opinion on very pointed stillettoes on the dance floor? Many beginners will wear unsuitable footwear including flip flops and it is rare these days for the teachers to comment on the unsuitability of footwear. Flip flips cause no damage, but stillettoes often do to people and no doubt to the dancefloor.

To be honest, very few ladies dance in stillettoes in reality.. and the ladies generally talk amongst themselves as to what is suitable and comfortable footwear wise...

If anyone was ever concerned about the danger of moves perfprmed in a crowded venue, my advise is to go and mention it to the teacher or manager and let them deal with it. I have over the years had several chats with people for many different reasons, after something has been brought to my attention. BUT>> i do watch to see first if they are in my opinion guilty of persistantly causing the problem brought to my attention.. these have included dangerous aerials, men with wandering hands and partners who seem unaware of others dancing around them.. and some i dare not mention...

Chris
27th-November-2003, 05:13 PM
Maybe dance venue organisers need to take more responsibility for the number of people being allowed to dance at any one time.

Hear! hear!

And not just on the safety issue - it severely restricts dance styles and enjoyment from the point of view of nice open dramatic stuff - quite simple things like gestures and flourishes which the lady is more restricted on when the floor is crowded. When it's that busy they are making the money - they could invest in a bigger (or *second* room). :what:

Chris (D)

have added a "D" so as to avoid confusion when ChrisA is also in active thread but quotes will still just come up with "Chris"; ChrisA - if you think it's a prob please contact Franck - I've already PM'd him to say am happy to change my name if it will help:) )

ChrisA
27th-November-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
Sadly Chris, I think no matter how hard any teacher or manager pushes etiquette, the silly people guilty of inconsiderate dancing will just continue completely oblivious..
I think you're probably right... though most of the comments from the stage have been in the "hints and humour" category, rather than the "I'm deadly serious x,y,z are unacceptable" category :tears:

How about an explicit ban on aerials and drops at the packed venues (Hipsters Tues and Fulham Thurs come to mind as examples of where complete tw*ts insist on doing them, endangering their partners and those around them)?

Any mileage in that?

Chris
27th-November-2003, 05:17 PM
I would also be interested to hear organisers opinion on this, especially knowing how expensive dance floors are to re-surface or even maintain.

If there is a real problem then ladies who dance in high heels might be encouraged to wear special ballroom high heels (usually made to measure I'm told by one of my dance partners who always uses them), and which presumably don't damage the floor (once ladies get to this level of buying their own b.shoes they probably have very good control of their feet of course!).
:kiss: :nice: :kiss:

ChrisA
27th-November-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Andr
I know a male dancer who loves to drop his partners within 2 inches of the floor even in a very crowded venue.
Do you mean he's a mate of yours, or you just know him and he knows you?

Certainly if the former, you could have a word, surely?

Chris

Mikey
27th-November-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I would also be interested to hear organisers opinion on this, especially knowing how expensive dance floors are to re-surface or even maintain.

If there is a real problem then ladies who dance in high heels might be encouraged to wear special ballroom high heels (usually made to measure I'm told by one of my dance partners who always uses them), and which presumably don't damage the floor (once ladies get to this level of buying their own b.shoes they probably have very good control of their feet of course!).
:kiss: :nice: :kiss:

the problem there Chris is most high heela damage wooden floors, hand made or not.. but whats more important as i am sure your partner knows.. it's the pressure dancing in high heels puts on a womans ankle !!! I was once told that the pressure could be equated to an elephant standing on a grape:what: ( AND NO I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LADIES) Persoanally i don't know how some women do it.. I was a british freestyle rollerskating champion some years ago and i wore boots with a heel for ease of tricks etc and believe me, my aknles and calves certainly ached by the end of a nights skating or after a show...

Chris
27th-November-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
the problem there Chris is most high heela damage wooden floors, hand made or not.. but whats more important as i am sure your partner knows.. it's the pressure dancing in high heels puts on a womans ankle !!!

I'm not a ballroom dancer (which she is) but they are de rigeur for ballroom, so I doubt if they damage the floor - and if they do then I for one would rather pay extra than have her dance in anything else.

If a woman wears high heels constantly her foot adapts. She is not comfy wearing anything else after a bit (especially perhaps if she does serious ballroom!)
:nice:

Chris
27th-November-2003, 05:55 PM
In case any ladies are thinking of getting proper ballroom shoes made - the tailored fit and intrinsic design is such that you get almost continuous support from ankle to toe - this is very different from ordinary high heels. (I mention this from having heard it explained and demonstrated a number of times, not from personal experience of wearing them I might add!)
:cheers:

ps as most ladies know already, wearing heels also alters the shape and tone of your legs very nicely :nice:

Dan
27th-November-2003, 06:09 PM
Do you mean he's a mate of yours, or you just know him and he knows you?

Certainly if the former, you could have a word, surely?

Chris
Chris

I know him and he knows me, but we have spoken more than a few words. I do not know him enough to comment on his dancing styles. For some reason, this is a subject that few men will enter into seriously even among good friends - same as driving. If an acquaintance someone is doing something "wrong", you would have to be very sure that you know what you are talking about before you say something.

Andre

Danger Mouse
8th-February-2004, 10:50 PM
What's the worse injury you’ve suffered while dancing?

Apart from the usual bumps a bruises you get at a busy venue, my worse so far is a fingernail impaled in my chin.

azande
8th-February-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Danger Mouse
What's the worse injury you’ve suffered while dancing?

Apart from the usual bumps a bruises you get at a busy venue, my worse so far is a fingernail impaled in my chin. Link (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35&highlight=injury)

Jon L
9th-February-2004, 06:15 AM
On the last night of Bognor 2003 - I felt my back seize up, I tried dancing two nights later and it was still hurting. So I saw the physio who found by getting me to do some twists etc. That I had seized the lower left side of my back up

She unlocked me but I got my first ever jiving ban:tears: 1 week out!

Unfortunately if you do something like this, then it is still vunerable and there are certain jumps or lifts that I don't dance as they strain that part of the back.

Seriously my advice to anyone is if you think you have an injury get it checked out by the physio - It will cost you approx £35 but it's worth it.

Jon L
9th-February-2004, 06:18 AM
Moderators - this thread should be in 'Let's talk about dance' IMO.

Nick M
9th-February-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
On the last night of Bognor 2003 - I felt my back seize up,

I get this quite a lot, Jon, especially if I have recently come off a long haul flight. What I do nowadays is book in a preventative visit to the osteopath after any overnight flight, or massive amount of sittingin a car, to get my spine mobile again

Danger Mouse
9th-February-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
Moderators - this thread should be in 'Let's talk about dance' IMO.

Whoops! Sorry

Danger Mouse
9th-February-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by azande
Link (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35&highlight=injury)

Whoops! sorry

jivecat
9th-February-2004, 10:46 AM
whats more important as i am sure your partner knows.. it's the pressure dancing in high heels puts on a womans ankle !!! I was once told that the pressure could be equated to an elephant standing on a grape

I have received (and given) the usual quota of bumps and bruises whilst dancing, the most recent being a cracking black eye incurred during a rather over-enthusiastic extended man-spin (at least, I think that's what it's called, I don't usually bother my little head about the names, that's a man's job!) The guy whose elbow it was apologised profusely and was mortified- he's a lovely bloke and a great dancer and I certainly wouldn't bear him any ill-will.

At least I've recovered from the black eye. I'm far more concerned about ongoing foot damage. Since starting ceroc a couple of years ago I've developed a painful and swollen big toe joint on my right foot which I'm told is irreversible arthritic damage, caused by wearing HIGH HEELS. I think the worst damage was caused when I'd been dancing for 6 months to a year, was very keen and dancing a lot but hadn't bought any specialist dance shoes yet. My spinning technique was very poor and I found it very difficult to be obliged by my partners to do repeated or consecutive spins on my right foot when I knew I didn't have my balance or foot placement under control. I remember the feeling of my delicate little foot bones grinding unevenly into the floor but at the time I was always so high on adrenalin that I wasn't really aware of any pain! Think on, chaps.....

I think that the damage has stabilised because I now wear more sensible shoes (Aaargh!!! A lifetime of horrible puffy dance sneakers lies ahead) and I have tried hard to improve my spinning technique. I also restrict my dancing to twice a week in order to allow recovery time in between, which does not please me one little bit.

If anyone has had similar foot problems I'd like to hear from you, especially if you've found any solutions.

Lastly if anyone has discovered a type of flattish dance shoe which won't make me look like I have a huge, decaying fungus attached to the ends of my legs please let me know asap!

Groovy Dancer
9th-February-2004, 06:40 PM
A couple of times recently I've tried to work out how I choose the next move. I consciously think of about 3 moves - the rest of the time I just hold onto a hand and see what happens [/B][/QUOTE]

You are lucky that you can think of 3moves. :confused: I usually pray for something to work, while trying not to get entangled.:tears:

Boozy Bird
9th-February-2004, 07:51 PM
;) I don't think we have ever been entangled on the dance floor, have we Groovy Dancer??

:rofl: :rofl:

Lory
19th-August-2004, 12:38 PM
Whilst dancing with Peter last night, we had quite a spectacular one! :D

All was going well, until I stepped back and the heal of my shoe got firmly wedged in the side of some poor lady's shoe, I held on to peter for dear life, as both I and the other lady hopped round trying to free it but alas, I finally lost my balance (all in slow motion) and fell crashing to the floor, pulling poor Peter on top of me! :blush: :rofl:

I'm so glad I wore trousers, as I nearly did a backwards roll! :whistle:

It was all Ok in the end, Peter gallantly pulled me to my feet :hug: and the lady assured me her foot wasn't hurt! :nice: We all took a bow and had a good laugh about it after!

Trish
19th-August-2004, 03:01 PM
Lastly if anyone has discovered a type of flattish dance shoe which won't make me look like I have a huge, decaying fungus attached to the ends of my legs please let me know asap!

If you take any type of normal shoes to the cobblers (eg Timpsons) they will remove the sole (if necessary) and put on a leather/shammy leather (no that's probably not how you spell that - chamois?) sole on in replacement. This costs about £25 - not cheap, but then if the shoes are relatively imexpensive I guess it's not more than dance shoes. If the shoes are flat bottomed (eg trainers) this actually gives you more stability than dance trainers, which usually have split soles, and therefore is less likely to hurt you bad feet ((I sympathise, I also get bad pains in my toes/feet - possibly the same thing but I've never got it checked out.) Hope this helps! :hug:

As to injuries, the worst I've had is a broken blood vessel in my foot after being kicked by a guy in hard soled shoes! It swelled up very dramatically, to the size of a golf ball, and I spent most of the night in casualty (till 6 in the morning). Luckily some very good friends looked after me, called my partner and got him to meet me at the hospital and drove my car home for me - I feel very lucky to have friends like this! The worst thing was this happened about 10 days before my wedding and I could hardly dance at it! Very painful! It's ok now, but has taken ages to heal, and if anyone accidentally steps on it (even in soft shoes), it's really painful. I seem to be accident prone and am always being stepped on, perhaps I stick my foot out at a funny angle when I dance, I'll have to keep an eye out for that!

Dance Demon
19th-August-2004, 05:05 PM
Ive had one or two injuries, mainly getting trod on at busy nights by people who want more room than is available :angry: .and had my Achilles tendon kicked a few times :sick: ......Most recent injury was at the Scottish comp, dancing with Wendy in the Lucky Dip semi final. Decided to do a one handed seducer as one of the judges came round, and pulled a muscle in my shoulder. I couldn't lift wendy back up again and had to lay her down gently on the floor :blush: ...found it really difficult after that and had to concentrate on left handed moves, and it all went a bit pear shaped.. :tears: ...Upside was that Val,an Edinburgh dancer who just happens to be a Physiotherapist saw me do it, and looked after me with ice packs & ibuprofen. I also got some Kinesiology from Aleks, an offer of some recce (sp?) from Tim, and a massage fom Maggie........ :D

Peter
21st-August-2004, 11:56 AM
Whilst dancing with Peter last night, we had quite a spectacular one! All was going well, until I stepped back and the heal of my shoe got firmly wedged in the side of some poor lady's shoe, I held on to peter for dear life, as both I and the other lady hopped round trying to free it but alas, I finally lost my balance (all in slow motion) and fell crashing to the floor, pulling poor Peter on top of me! I'm so glad I wore trousers, as I nearly did a backwards roll! It was all Ok in the end, Peter gallantly pulled me to my feet and the lady assured me her foot wasn't hurt! We all took a bow and had a good laugh about it after!

That accident was only the half of it that night ...

The URBAN METRO team had been invited to perform our "Slow" routine at Ashtons and I was dancing with a new partner, Claire. During the routine, with 150 or so watching, I noticed a look of horror on Claire's face and asked if anything was wrong - she said she was OK and we continued the routine. Since we had never danced together before, it was impossible to tell whether her gritted teeth were a reflection of my dancing or something else. As the applause died down, the look of horror returned to Claire's face and she rushed off to the dressing room, clutching her navel.

I later found out that she had forgotten to remove the stud she had through her navel. During the "helicopter" move, the stud had become entangled in my black string vest. As we separated, the stud was ripped out of her navel and the blood started to flow ...

Somehow Claire retrieved the stud and put it in her pocket. As we left the floor, she felt in her pocket and realised that the red coloured stud (the same colour as the carpet at Ashtons) was no longer there ... by now the shock was taking hold and 150 people were heading onto the dance floor ...

At the end of the night, we did find the stud! Very close to where Lory fell .. maybe Lory tripped over the stud ...

MartinHarper
21st-August-2004, 04:21 PM
mainly getting trod on at busy nights by people who want more room than is available.

Guilty as charged. I had one particularly bad dance this week where I managed to tread on someone's foot on the beat one step back. Not an auspicious start. :(

Yliander
13th-September-2004, 05:28 AM
the problem there Chris is most high heela damage wooden floors, hand made or not..
actually ballroom shoes and character shoes (like those made by Bloch) won't damage a wooden floor or even tarquet.

What will damage wooden floors are fashion stilettos - those ones where the heel ends in tiny tiny point. :eek:

Ballroom heels are generally wider than fashion stilettos and therefor while there is a lot of pressure on the heel - due to the size and material that the heels are finished with they won't leave little pits in a wooden floor

and I saw mention of flip flops not being dangerous - ummmmm try being hit by one going flying across the room as it comes off the foot of a spinning dancer :tears: :eek:

Jon L
15th-January-2005, 01:54 AM
Time to resurrect this thread again

I got injured at Bognor, knew something was wrong on Monday when walking back to the car felt painful in my left thigh.

Anyway the physios has seen and sorted me today , the tendon at the top of my leg has swollen. I have been given my second jive ban - 10 days no dancing ! :tears: :tears:

Probably got the injury from twisting incorrectly.

Minnie M
15th-January-2005, 09:45 AM
.....I got injured at Bognor, knew something was wrong on Monday when walking back to the car felt painful in my left thigh.........10 days no dancing.

:( poor you Jon - wish you a speedy recovory :flower:

I hurt my knee on Christmas eve - the floor was a bit sticky - took about 5 days to right itself (without dancing that is)