PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember a first dance?

Lou
12th-August-2004, 09:20 AM
I was chatting after a class this week, and Matt happened to mention that he recalled the first time that we'd danced. That got me thinking, and I found to my surprise I could actually remember the actual first time I'd danced with a lot of people. I thought it might make a good subject for here....

My favourites were those special times I aked/got asked to dance with complete strangers, only to discover that we clicked. :) But I also found that I could also remember many of the first dances I had with people who went on to become good friends & regular partners.

Of course, there was the time, many many years ago, when, as a naive beginner, I bravely asked a black & whites wearing forumite to dance at a freestyle in my home town. I'll never forget his odd response - "What do you want to dance with me for - I'm arrogant!". :rofl: But he didn't turn me down... (btw, names have been withheld to protect the "innocent" :whistle: )

So, anyway - am I odd in that I remember particular dances? And if I'm not the only one - what were the memorable ones for you?

Emma
12th-August-2004, 10:06 AM
My favourites were those special times I aked/got asked to dance with complete strangers, only to discover that we clicked. :) But I also found that I could also remember many of the first dances I had with people who went on to become good friends & regular partners.Yes me too! I can actually remember some of the dances I had with my future new friends on my first night dancing. My 'first time' dances with friends memories are really treasured ones :nice:

(btw, names have been withheld to protect the "innocent" :whistle: )Would you accept bribery? That story is priceless! :cheers:

PS are you *really* looking for a job with a person called Chardonnay? ;)

Lory
12th-August-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm exactly the same, I have lot's of treasured memories. Probably most of mine are with people that I'd watched and admired for weeks and weeks from afar and then I finally got to dance with them :waycool:

I'm really hoping this is just a girl thing, as i've lost count how many times I've said to someone, remember when we had our first dance at **** and they've looked at me blankly! :sick:

Or maybe it's just I'm not that memorable! :rofl:

And BTW, I have a friend who works for 'Moet'...he's a rep! :na:

Emma
12th-August-2004, 10:53 AM
And BTW, I have a friend who works for 'Moet'...he's a rep! :na:Please send relationship status and vital statistics/dance venues attended via PM :rofl: :rofl:

Gadget
12th-August-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm really hoping this is just a girl thing, as i've lost count how many times I've said to someone, remember when we had our first dance at **** and they've looked at me blankly! :sick:
I think it must be: I've had a few dancers comment that they remember their first dance with me... personally, I can't remember any one particular dance - let alone a first :blush:

Lou
12th-August-2004, 12:09 PM
I think it must be: I've had a few dancers comment that they remember their first dance with me... personally, I can't remember any one particular dance - let alone a first :blush:

Men! (Except Matt, of course, who inspired the subject).

Have you ever been dancing with someone you don't recognise/remember by looks, and then you suddenly realise you've danced with them before because of their moves or style or something is familiar? :confused:

Lou
12th-August-2004, 12:13 PM
Would you accept bribery? That story is priceless! :cheers:
:innocent:

PS are you *really* looking for a job with a person called Chardonnay? ;)
*lol* I did Sherif's website update as a favour to a friend - but he chose to return the favour in the form of wine, which is perfectly acceptable.

Tiggerbabe
12th-August-2004, 12:16 PM
.. personally, I can't remember any one particular dance - let alone a first :blush:
Then I'm very glad I'm a girl :clap: I've got lots of "first dance" memories and more "special dance" memories - I'd hate not being able to rember them. :kiss:

Gadget
12th-August-2004, 12:26 PM
Have you ever been dancing with someone you don't recognise/remember by looks, and then you suddenly realise you've danced with them before because of their moves or style or something is familiar? :confused:
nope, sorry: if I don't recognise them before I start dancing, then that's it. Not that I can remember anyone's name; only faces.

I do remember a few bits from various dances (finishing a dance and emerging back into the world again, a laugh or smile from a particular move, having my partner follow and being able to match absolutly perfectly for a few moves, being clapped and cheered, running a move into a smooth dip, getting a "whee" from a partner... and so on) but never a whole dance, or in any particualr sequence. :tears:

I suppose that it makes every dance even more special :D :cool:

Sheepman
12th-August-2004, 12:48 PM
lost count how many times I've said to someone, remember when we had our first dance at **** and they've looked at me blankly! This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and as usual I was dead embarrassed not to remember even meeting the lady at the relevant event, let alone dancing with her. What makes it worse was it was only about 4 months ago and we've had loads of great dances since! :drool: But I have a theory about why men are less likely to remember (and it's nothing to do with smaller brains!) It's that old thing about men leading their own dance, and it can be very much the same with all their partners, whereas the women get to dance very different dances with each partner, some are bound to be more memorable than others.

So there has to be something different to make it memorable for the guy, I can remember very few of the first dances with those ladies who are now my favourite dance partners. One in particular does stand out though, from many years ago, it must have been partly the lightness of touch and smoothness from someone who'd only been dancing a few months, but it was mostly down to the amazing connection between us. Although the opportunities for us to dance together have always been to rare, that lady is now one of my closest friends.

It doesn't always have to be memorable because it was good though! Thinking back even more years, to the first dance with another of my closest friends (also a fabulous dancer). I remember that one for entirely the wrong reasons! :blush:

I think I have to associate a place with a partner to be able to recall that first dance, so if it is my regular venue, I'm less likely to remember it. Other dances I'm likely to remember are when I've only mangaed to ever get one dance with the lady, and I want many more. So ladies, perhaps it pays to "treat 'em mean" :wink: I'm thinking in particular of the one dance I had with Deborah Szekely (Robert Cordoba's partner), this was before I even knew what stars they are, I'm sure this dance was instantly forgettable for her!

Greg

RobC
12th-August-2004, 12:55 PM
I have to say, when you do the sums and work out just how many people 'one' dances with on a weekly basis (personally I'm out dancing on average 3-4 nights), I'm lucky to remember their names and at a stretch last time I danced with them. To remember anything about the dance, or even the 'first' dance I had ever had with them is just not going to happen - sorry girls.

That said, there are always the more memorable dances (for one reason or another) which do stick in your mind for a while - my favourite one to recall at the moment is a dance I had with Nina at last year's Beach Boogie. It was right at the start of the evening and someone had persuaded JB to play YMCA (only because there were only a handful of people there - I doubt you would normally get him to play it !). Nina was idly walking through the room on the way to somewhere and I grabbed her for a dance..... and what a dance :D we were both being incredibly silly and play with the music, hamming it up big time :waycool: It was one of those dances where you are both completely in sync with each other, instictively knowing what each other are going to do before hand and complementing their 'playing' with your own thing.....

Dances like that one you just can't help but remember :grin:

foxylady
12th-August-2004, 01:41 PM
I had an absolutely outstanding dance (at ISH of all places) with a chap I had never seen before, and haven't seen since. I was told afterwards he was called Colin and was from Bromley.

Why ? It was a fast 'rock'n'roll'-y piece of music. I had never danced with him before, and from the very first bar it felt like we were made to dance together - we did dips, drops, slides, compicated stuff, easy stuff and it just was 'orgasmic' (can't think of a more appropriate word). A 10 out of 10. Will I ever dance with him again. Would it be the same next time - or was it a one off ? Who knows - but dances like that you never forget !!

FL

BTW lovely to meet & dance with you, RobC, at hipsters on Tues !! :cheers:

Lory
12th-August-2004, 02:02 PM
I had an absolutely outstanding dance *snip* with a chap called Colin from Bromley.

from the very first bar it felt like we were made to dance together - it just was 'orgasmic' (can't think of a more appropriate word). A 10 out of 10. Will I ever dance with him again. Would it be the same next time - or was it a one off ? Who knows - but dances like that you never forget !!

Phwoar! :waycool:

Colin, who ever you are :confused: are u going to the BFG by any chance? :whistle:

RobC
12th-August-2004, 02:18 PM
BTW lovely to meet & dance with you, RobC, at hipsters on Tues !! :cheers:
The pleasure was all mine :hug:

Sal
12th-August-2004, 06:12 PM
I do remember first dances! At the moment I am on a complete high after returning from Beach Boogie. I met loads of new people and had some astounding dances! (Thanks to any of the forumites who were responsible for them!)

However, my favourite first dance memory is being asked to dance just after injuring myself. I said to the guy that I would dance but only very gently. What followed was a beautiful and very considerate dance. We have since shared many more, and each time they are magical. Definately my favourite dancer!

DavidY
12th-August-2004, 06:22 PM
However, my favourite first dance memory is being asked to dance just after injuring myself. I said to the guy that I would dance but only very gently. What followed was a beautiful and very considerate dance. Something I learnt some time ago is that if someone tells you they've injured their wrist/shoulder/etc., so you try and lead them gently, you can still have a really good dance.

The trick is to try and keep the gentle lead when you dance with someone else who's uninjured...

Emma
12th-August-2004, 06:55 PM
I had an absolutely outstanding dance (at ISH of all places) with a chap I had never seen before, and haven't seen since. I was told afterwards he was called Colin and was from Bromley.:yeah: I remember MY first dance with Colin, too!! :grin:

foxylady
12th-August-2004, 07:33 PM
:yeah: I remember MY first dance with Colin, too!! :grin:
You know him ?!? Does he still dance anywhere ?

Yogi_Bear
12th-August-2004, 10:33 PM
You know him ?!? Does he still dance anywhere ?
I believe he is now a regular in Norwich... :D :D

DianaS
14th-August-2004, 01:17 PM
I do remember first dances! At the moment I am on a complete high after returning from Beach Boogie. I met loads of new people and had some astounding dances! (Thanks to any of the forumites who were responsible for them!)

However, my favourite first dance memory is being asked to dance just after injuring myself. I said to the guy that I would dance but only very gently. What followed was a beautiful and very considerate dance. We have since shared many more, and each time they are magical. Definately my favourite dancer!
Hi Sal, how lovely to have found someone like that! What a special guy

DianaS
14th-August-2004, 01:26 PM
My first dance ever is still a vivid memory. I had gone to my first lesson at the Glee club and after the beginners lesson went and sat down with my friends.They had been dancing a while and brought me along.

After a while one of the taxis asked me to dance, and as we went on to the dance floor, I tried to lead him to the back of the room so no one could see.

He stopped me and asked me where I was going, and when I explained, he led me to the middle of the dance floor, where he proceeded to dance like a regular demon.

He looked so funny doing his stuff, it really made me laugh, god knows how I got through it, but the sight of him wiggling his bits and strutting his stuff like a good one, is still emblazoned in my memory.

I've never had a dance like that again :tears: and I'm kind of glad that he was so wildly extraverted and didn't give a damn!

At the end I sat down gratefully, and every one else who asked me to dance was a total poppet in comparison. And still is!