PDA

View Full Version : I'd just like to say...

DianaS
10th-August-2004, 09:56 PM
how much I have valued our exhanges over the last few months. I spent a little time re-reading some of my early posts, to see where I've been and where I'm going, and I feel I sounded like a real baby early on...and no-one said a thing!
You've all been exceptionally kind and helpful, and I have started to talk to my dance teachers here in the West Midlands about my philanderings around the country....They have suggested some non-ceroc classes that will help me acquire a deeper grounding in dance so that I can develop further.

Talking to you people helped to sort out for me what it was that I felt that I needed, and I just want to say thanks!

One dance I'll dance like a dream, and you'll be able to say I knew her when she had only been dancing a few months and was a total baby...

And I'll always keep a special dance for fellow forumites,

Best wishes
Your mate Di
XXXXXXXXXX

TheTramp
11th-August-2004, 01:45 AM
And I'll always keep a special dance for fellow forumites,
One without tape?? :whistle:

Trampy

DianaS
11th-August-2004, 08:47 AM
One without tape?? :whistle:

Trampy Trampy, I'll only dance that dance with you, that's a promise :nice:

philsmove
11th-August-2004, 04:03 PM
They have suggested some non-ceroc classes that will help me acquire a deeper grounding in dance so that I can develop further.

I have just started doing a few Tango beginners classes

Its completely different from MJ, but it is defiantly helping my understanding of leading and interpreting the music

DianaS
11th-August-2004, 05:27 PM
I have just started doing a few Tango beginners classes

Its completely different from MJ, but it is defiantly helping my understanding of leading and interpreting the music
hi Phil
I've been recommended Argentinian tango and lindy to complement MJ. I've started to look for classes in my area, Lindy seems to be big in Oxford and Nottingham (although rather cliquey so a friend said, but he's offered to take me along, so I'll try out a few places) and Argentinian tango. I'm still searching for a good venue. I've found a few places through online searches but will try and get some personal recommendations for good teachers and centres.
The other thing that I've seen and really like the look at is this class (details below), I though that I may have a chat with the teacher and find out a little more about it. It has the advantage of being located near to where I work, I would just have my tea at work and move on. However it may not help my development much with MJ so I'm keeping an open mind about it.I may just drop into the first session and enroll if I feel that it would be really progressive.
BTW If any one knows what Cunningham and Graham techniques are, I'd love to find out! :confused:

Dance Performance Workshop

Type: Short/Lifelong learning courses
Length and mode of course: 2.5 hours x 16 weekly sessions. Mondays 6.00-8.30pm. Start date: 20 September 2004.
Qualification: 15 credits

Whether you want to relax at the end of a busy day at work or learn new dance techniques, this course is for you whatever your age or whatever your ability.

Through a series of weekly workshops the first term will focus on the introduction of the different dance techniques which will later influence the performance work. Both directed and non-directed choreographic methods will be developed, and will reflect the participants' interests. The second term will build towards a performance.

Course content
Introduction to release based work, applied to Cunningham and Graham techniques.
Various dance methods to introduce the dancers to the basic anatomical safety aspects of their work.
Partner work will include mirror work, support and counterbalance work, and contact improvisation.
Choreographic methods to include the use of improvisation as a basic tool for research into personal movement vocabulary.
Various choreographic tasks will be set in solo and small groups.
Development of technique work, including more in depth study of the skeletal system.
Course assessment: The development of practice will be recorded in a learning journal which will constitute 50% of the assessment. The student's performance in the practical workshops (and final piece) will make up the other 50%.

Who should attend this course?
This course is suitable for anyone who wishes to learn and develop skills in this area. There are no course pre-requisites.

Lou
11th-August-2004, 05:46 PM
BTW If any one knows what Cunningham and Graham techniques are, I'd love to find out! :confused:

Always one for a challenge I found this at http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/dance/explain.htm:

The four main techniques used in contemporary dance are:

Cunningham (named after teacher and choreographer Merce Cunningham, focusing on the architecture of the body in space, rhythm and articulation.)

What does that mean? Cunningham uses the idea of the body's own "line of energy" to promote easy, natural movement. Richard Alston uses Cunningham technique in his graceful choreography.

Graham (named after Martha Graham) - focusing on the use of contraction, release, fall and recovery.

What does that mean? Graham technique is characterised by floorwork and the use of abdominal and pelvic contractions. The style is very grounded and the technique visibly contrary to the sylphlike, airborne ideals of ballet.

Limon (named after Jose Limon) - exploring use of energy in relation to gravity and working with weight in terms of fall, rebound, recovery and suspension.

What does that mean? Limon technique uses the feeling of weight and "heavy energy" in the body, and movement is instigated using breath to lift, and swings through the body to create and halt movement. It also feels very nice to perform!

Release - placing emphasis on minimising tension in the search for clarity and fluidity and efficient use of energy and breath.

What does that mean? A bit like it sounds - in Release technique, we release through the joints and muscles to create ease of movement, releasing the breath to aid the release of the body. A great relaxation technique as well as a dance style.[

DianaS
11th-August-2004, 06:25 PM
Always one for a challenge I found this at http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/dance/explain.htm:

The four main techniques used in contemporary dance are:

Cunningham (named after teacher and choreographer Merce Cunningham, focusing on the architecture of the body in space, rhythm and articulation.)

What does that mean? Cunningham uses the idea of the body's own "line of energy" to promote easy, natural movement. Richard Alston uses Cunningham technique in his graceful choreography.

Graham (named after Martha Graham) - focusing on the use of contraction, release, fall and recovery.

What does that mean? Graham technique is characterised by floorwork and the use of abdominal and pelvic contractions. The style is very grounded and the technique visibly contrary to the sylphlike, airborne ideals of ballet.

Limon (named after Jose Limon) - exploring use of energy in relation to gravity and working with weight in terms of fall, rebound, recovery and suspension.

What does that mean? Limon technique uses the feeling of weight and "heavy energy" in the body, and movement is instigated using breath to lift, and swings through the body to create and halt movement. It also feels very nice to perform!

Release - placing emphasis on minimising tension in the search for clarity and fluidity and efficient use of energy and breath.

What does that mean? A bit like it sounds - in Release technique, we release through the joints and muscles to create ease of movement, releasing the breath to aid the release of the body. A great relaxation technique as well as a dance style.[
Lou thank you for that, I must admit to feeling more drawn to this rather than less. Movement is very important to me and IF the course really works with the principles that its setting itself up to follow, I think I would be floating on air!

Any comments?
I'd really like to hear from you, advice good or bad will be well received and welcomed.
BW Diana

philsmove
12th-August-2004, 07:32 AM
I've started to look for classes in my area,

The teacher in Bristol is Eduardo Bozzo http://www.tangowest.co.uk/galleries/gallery2.htm

He seems to the Tango equivalent of Amir

Tango west web site only lists Bristol but Yvonne travels worldwide, so they should be able to recommend a class up north

DianaS
12th-August-2004, 08:51 AM
The teacher in Bristol is Eduardo Bozzo http://www.tangowest.co.uk/galleries/gallery2.htm

He seems to the Tango equivalent of Amir

Tango west web site only lists Bristol but Yvonne travels worldwide, so they should be able to recommend a class up north
Thanks Phil, I've just dropped them a line... :)
Diana