PDA

View Full Version : Rep comments - missing!

Sparkles
10th-August-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey!
Where have all my rep comments gone? :confused:
I used to be able to see the latest ten, now I can only see three!
What's happened? Has this happened to everyone?

S. x

Zebra Woman
10th-August-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey sparkles

It's just happened to me too... :( :( I'll miss them :tears:

Lynn
10th-August-2004, 03:40 PM
Yep - me too - so it must be everyone. Not good if you got more than 3 for the same thread/discussion and hadn't even got to read them before they went!

Gordon J Pownall
10th-August-2004, 04:27 PM
Yep - me too - so it must be everyone. Not good if you got more than 3 for the same thread/discussion and hadn't even got to read them before they went!

...et moi aussi mes femmes,,,,,,, :what:

DianaS
10th-August-2004, 04:49 PM
Mine too... :sad:
Shall we start a support group...
...or just send each other loads of rep so we get full up again!!
I had loads of bad rep in any case for flirting(!) so shouldn't complain

:D

Tiggerbabe
10th-August-2004, 05:14 PM
Just got a pm from Franck to say that he has changed the rep to now show only the last 3.

The rep system is still being looked at and so there may be other changes soon.

Hope this helps,

Sheena :kiss: :hug:

Gadget
10th-August-2004, 05:35 PM
But what happens when you get more than 3 in one big lump? Not a change for the better if you ask me. :(

Peter
10th-August-2004, 05:38 PM
Just got a pm from Franck to say that he has changed the rep to now show only the last 3.

A strange thing to be doing on his holidays ...

Emma
10th-August-2004, 05:45 PM
A strange thing to be doing on his holidays ...The man's an addict...what can you say?! :grin:

Jayne
11th-August-2004, 09:02 AM
The rep system is still being looked at and so there may be other changes soon.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Hurrah! About time too!

J :nice:

Sparkles
12th-August-2004, 11:09 AM
I don't like it that there's only three now.
Just a thought, if Franck reads this, that maybe the reps would be better if they were more like e-mails/PMs - you know, so you can keep the ones you want, delete the ones you don't (although they would still count towards your rep score, of course) and show all of them all the time (I was very upset wen they started dropping off the bottom of the screen :sad: ).
What do you think?
Would this be possible?
Does it sound like a good idea?
Hmmm....
S. x

Pammy
12th-August-2004, 12:04 PM
I miss seeing them too. Enjoyed reading nice things people had put. I guess however though, if you received negative rep you could well welcome the opporunity to move on and forget a "bad" rep.

Bardsey
12th-August-2004, 03:51 PM
Awww! Not fair :tears: I liked reading them too! My 3 are all about the same thread, so can't look up what was said about other threads :tears:

RobC
13th-August-2004, 07:58 PM
They've disappeared completely now :tears: I know I've received at least one rep recently because I have just gained an extra green pip, but I can't see what it said :sad:

Lynn
13th-August-2004, 09:01 PM
They've disappeared completely now :tears: Just noticed that, just after I had given someone positive rep with a little comment (and my name of course) and realised that was a waste of time as they won't be able to read it. Is there any way of having viewing reps as an optional feature that you can turn on or off if you want?

bigdjiver
13th-August-2004, 10:10 PM
Perhaps this is just a temporary solution to the disclosure of a way of finding out who had sent an "anonymous" rep ?

MartinHarper
13th-August-2004, 10:21 PM
Too late! We already found out, and now we all hate each other! :)

Gordon J Pownall
14th-August-2004, 01:31 AM
Err......no rep comments at all Franck - wassamatta...??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sparkles
15th-August-2004, 02:42 PM
Please give us our reps back, Franck... :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-August-2004, 02:08 PM
Please give us our reps back, Franck... :flower:
Rep Comments are now offically a Scottish Delicacy and as such must be bought. Luckily, Franck has unofficialy announced me*1 as the Rep Seller on the forum. So dont hesitate..order yours TODAY...I will forward them shrink wrapped by email.....careful....I only accept Smurf figurines or Calvin and Hobbes comic books as valid currency.

These quality, well manufactured reps come in "flattery", "cheesey" , "awwww nice!" and "rampant fan" flavours*2.

*1 unofficialy i.e. I never bothered asking him but Im sure he would have

*2 the negative reps of "you suck", "you smell" and "oh you think you're so clever you tit" are free to anyone who's opinions i disagree with or who looks at me "funny"

...or if its a Monday

DianaS
16th-August-2004, 08:20 PM
I've found how to find your rep points! It's really easy!!

Select a message that you authored
Click on the "add to your reputation" button
and a pop up will give you your rep points.

I currently have the same number that I had before we crashed so don't know if new points are being added or substracted,
SO give me some rep positive or negative and I'll see if it has an affect

You know it makes sense
Diana

Lynn
16th-August-2004, 08:37 PM
Yes, I noticed that too, but I quite liked the comments - they were more important than the points, but then I only had nice things, it might be a bit tough getting negative comments.

DianaS
16th-August-2004, 10:02 PM
Yes, I noticed that too, but I quite liked the comments - they were more important than the points, but then I only had nice things, it might be a bit tough getting negative comments.

It depends what they say. Sometimes neg rep is a way of saying "I really hear you and really disagree with you", or sometimes quite humourous "stop flirting with my best dance!" It's a covert way of saying "right on! GaL" So negative house points rule okay!

I've only had one unpleasant neg rep and it was signed by a total no hope-r so who cares? In logical operations a negative plus a negative equals a positive. So whom your rep comes from is as significant as the kind of rep. Does this make sense Dr Smurf?
D

DianaS
16th-August-2004, 10:15 PM
We are mystfied and confused. Although the Edinburgh fringe is on do not desert us. We need you and the positive or negative reps in our lives. Remember negative attention is better than no attention at all...
and for many of us we cling onto that olive branch of humanity that is extended to us through this online forum,
We are lost without some sort of indication as whether we are on the path to rightous fame or infamousy.. Do not desert us in our hour of need, tell us what we need to do and we will do it... Because we are that sad... :sick:
I would like to think that this is a BB test, and we have all failed, and won't be danced with for at least a month, by any one who know what is what, and who is who...but I fantasize too much ...you have server problems I guess, and have had a **** up and lost all our reps and don't know how to tell us... :blush:
But we still love you and we still care
even though your lost in (Edinburgh fringe) happiness, and we are in despair
Love,
Diana
xxxx
PS Talk to me! - we love you

Jayne
17th-August-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

I was hoping that Franck would comment on this topic but people's posts suggest that he is away at the moment. In the meantime I would like to redress the balance of this thread.

I am afraid that there are a number of forumites (especially on this thread) who are in the enviable position of being in blissful ignorance of some of the nastier things that can happen here. This isn't a criticism - I just mean that they haven’t encountered anything of the darker side.

In the past, there have been two very good mechanisms for giving feedback on this forum - either publicly by posting on the thread or privately by PM. Both of these mechanisms allow the sender of the message to be identified. When the software was upgraded a third, anonymous, mechanism became available - giving rep. The majority of forumites have had lots of fun using the rep system - I have too! :nice:

Unfortunately the anonymity of the rep system meant that it was open to abuse.

The fact that abuse happened is not just forum legend – I’ve experienced it myself :tears:

In response to this post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=75044#post75044) I received the following:

Only if you really want to **** the rest of us off (probably, depending on comments). Anyhow, how'd you hear them with your head so far up *comment deleted*. As for TwK being the best DJ, he's not bad. I liked some of his set last time I heard one

I would be the first to admit that alluding to Amir's comment was childish - hence the devil smiley. However, this forum is hardly a stranger to the occasional childish remark, and I and others felt that the comment was out of all proportion to the post.

Bearing in mind that the comment was anonymous I had no idea if someone had a real grudge against me or not - or who they were. As a consequence I have deleted as much of the personal information on my profile as possible.

Whilst receiving positive rep and reading the associated comments was lovely, the system as it stood was unfortunately open to abuse, and it seems that anonymity just allows those who care little for the feelings of others to indulge in nastiness.

I hope that knowing the flip side of the coin might change some opinions on the rep system.

Andy McGregor
17th-August-2004, 10:56 AM
I hope that knowing the flip side of the coin might change some opinions on the rep system.

No, I haven't changed my opinion of the rep system. I think that Jayne received that negative rep because someone really, really didn't like what she posted. And, until now, nobody else knew what had been said :sick:

Being able to anonymously and privately post your disagreement with something that's been posted on the open forum is, IMHO, healthy as it keeps emotional agument off the public thread. Also, it feeds back to the person receiving the negative rep that, at least one person, didn't like what they'd said or the way they'd said it. The person receiving that negative rep can then decide what to do about it; if anything.

I've been on the receiving end of a fair bit of negative rep (luckily a lot more positive rep - thank you everyone :kiss: ). I have read the negative comments and always found them useful and informative. In some cases I've actually had a re-think and modified my behavior, in others I've just been annoyed at some people's ignorance of the way the forum works. But it's useful to know that some people don't understand what goes on here too :wink:

Hipsters was muchos funos! Am I allowed to repeat Amir's comments on the quality of dancers who were there last night, versus those who weren't?? :devil:

The above quote is the one that, I think, stimulated the negative repper. Speaking personally, on first reading, I found that particular posting mildly upsetting, it was referring to a group of people which included me (those who weren't there) and being derogatory about our dancing. And, to make matters worse, it was saying that Amir, a teacher who I respect enormously, didn't think much of the quality of my dancing - how else was I expected to feel?

However, I know Amir and I know he must have been speaking in a toungue in cheek manner (I hope :tears: ) and I also know Jayne, who IMHO, wouldn't say anything nasty about anyone. So, in the light of that knowledge I posted a light hearted response. HOWEVER, not everyone on here knows Amir as well as I do: neither have they all met Jayne. Therefore, some people might have misunderstood Jayne's post. The message Jayne should have received from the negative rep, IMHO, is that at least one person didn't get the joke and felt very strongly about it. And maybe others would have misunderstood her too.

Finally, as I said at the start of this post, the rep comments, especially the negative ones, are IMHO, a great addition to the Forum. They act as a pressure valve to keep conflict off the public forum and they do allow us to know when at least one person doesn't like what we've said and give the reasons why they don't like it. I really don't think knowing who gave you that negative rep would add to the benefits gained and might even cause great upset - how would you feel if you knew it was Amir that had told you you couldn't dance?

.. hang on, isn't that what Jayne implied Amir had said about me? :tears: :devil:

p.s. Please note use of :devil:

p.p.s. The p.s. means I was only kidding in the final comment:wink:

Dreadful Scathe
17th-August-2004, 11:02 AM
but surely if its upseting Franck will tell you who it was anyway ? the anonymity is fake the moderators know who you are!

and as has been pointed out with the rep system as it was, you could try different people on ignore until you found out who sent you the rep when it failed to show up. I assume thats why Franck has removed the comments on USERCP ? Dont take it to heart Jayne, "constructive" comments like that should be treated with utmost disdain.

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 11:44 AM
Being able to anonymously and privately post your disagreement with something that's been posted on the open forum is, IMHO, healthy as it keeps emotional argument off the public thread.

Well, I have no objection to emotional argument on public threads – like my earlier pub analogy, some debates will trigger emotion, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

But there’s already a perfectly good mechanism for keeping emotional argument off the public thread – private messages – and I see no reason whatsoever for an anonymous version of the private messaging system.

I would like this forum to be a place where decent people can get on. Where they can heatedly if necessary, but still politely, express disagreement without having to resort to anonymous flaming for which IMO there is no excuse. Comments such as the one Jayne quotes are nothing except evidence of an utter disregard for the feelings of others – and not being prepared to communicate in an attributable fashion – either publicly or privately – is evidence of cowardice and is quite shameful in my opinion.

Anonymous flame wars are the refuge of emotionally dysfunctional teenagers who don’t have the social skills to interact competently with real human beings, and anonymous nasty comments using the rep system are the thin end of that wedge.

Personally I think there is no place for such behaviour on a dance forum.

Also, it feeds back to the person receiving the negative rep that, at least one person, didn't like what they'd said or the way they'd said it. The person receiving that negative rep can then decide what to do about it; if anything.
This is true, of course. There are lots of ways of inferring things from the available evidence. And I’m not saying that it isn’t possible to take something constructive out of even the nastiest of things that people say.

But that’s not the point I’m making, which is that this should be a civilised place, with civilised people behaving in a manner that demonstrates a certain level of care. None of which precludes the sort of larking about that we get here which can often be great fun, and which, as people know, I can be just as easily sucked into as anyone else. :devil:

Finally, as I said at the start of this post, the rep comments, especially the negative ones, are IMHO, a great addition to the Forum.
Well I’ve changed my view on this now.

The potential for abuse is too great, and much to my disappointment it seems that there are people only too ready to indulge in such abuse.

So I think the whole rep system should be abolished. And if not, then either the comments facility that goes with it should be removed, or comments should not be anonymous.

Chris

RobC
17th-August-2004, 12:10 PM
.....REALLY BIG SNIP....
:yeah:

Well I’ve changed my view on this now.

The potential for abuse is too great, and much to my disappointment it seems that there are people only too ready to indulge in such abuse.

So I think the whole rep system should be abolished. And if not, then either the comments facility that goes with it should be removed, or comments should not be anonymous.
Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need for anonymous reps (positive or negative). If you feel that strongly about something to make a comment, surely you would want your name associated with the comment ?

I think the Rep system is great fun and it would be a shame to do away with it, but on the other hand, leaving it anonymous is only going to cause problems and if Franck decides that adding names back to the comments is not going to be an option, then maybe it would be best to ditch it.

Here's a thought: How about for non-paid-up users, the comments are brought back, either on the UserCP or a seperate page, without the names, but for paid-up users add a configuration option so that we have the choice of seeing who gave the rep ?

Andy McGregor
17th-August-2004, 12:14 PM
Well, I have no objection to emotional argument on public threads – like my earlier pub analogy, some debates will trigger emotion, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

But there’s already a perfectly good mechanism for keeping emotional argument off the public thread – private messages – and I see no reason whatsoever for an anonymous version of the private messaging system.

I think that anonymity introduces honesty. It's a bit like voting used to be in unions. When there was a show of hands people would look to see whose hand they disagreed with - those people bacame your enemy :what:

In the current rep system you can express your true opinion about a post without worrying about making enemies.

However, there could be abuse of the rep system, just like there could be abuse of anything else on a public forum. And that is what the moderators are there for: to police and remove abuse. So, just like on the public threads, there is nothing to stop someone receiving anonymous negative rep from reporting it to the moderators and asking for it to be removed.

Chris

There will always be people who abuse a system. And, where there is potential for abuse, there need to be systems and controls in place to detect and manage that abuse. These systems are in place on this forum and they are very effective and fair.

Therefore, I see no reason to abolish the rep system or remove the anonymity from it. You might just as well recommend that we abolish the forum because people have abused it in the past.

Sheepman
17th-August-2004, 12:18 PM
and a pop up will give you your rep points..

Yes, I noticed that too, but I quite liked the comments - they were more important than the points I've just tried this, and discovered that if you do it on a post where someone has given you some rep, then you do get the comment in the pop up (thanks "S" :hug: ). If you get multiple reps for a post, I don't know if all the comments will appear, but presumably they will.

Greg

Andy McGregor
17th-August-2004, 12:26 PM
I've just tried this, and discovered that if you do it on a post where someone has given you some rep, then you do get the comment in the pop up (thanks "S" :hug: ). If you get multiple reps for a post, I don't know if all the comments will appear, but presumably they will.

Greg

I've tried this and it works. The problem is that you will not know automatically which post received positive or negative rep. You will have to trawl through your posts until you find the appropriate one. It was so much easier when you could look them up by clicking on User CP.

So, to sum up, nothing has disappeared since we couldn't see our list of rep comments in User CP - but we do need to work much harder to find them. Maybe one of the benefits of being a GoldMember could be that we have this list in User CP :hint:

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 12:33 PM
I think that anonymity introduces honesty. It's a bit like voting used to be in unions. When there was a show of hands people would look to see whose hand they disagreed with - those people bacame your enemy :what:

The difference being that in a secret ballot you're voting for or against - and not adding "and by the way I think candidate X is a **** for holding his view - maybe I'll just burn down his house if the election goes the wrong way".

As I say, I could live with an anonymous rep system that allowed no comments.

So, just like on the public threads, there is nothing to stop someone receiving anonymous negative rep from reporting it to the moderators and asking for it to be removed.

But removing it does not remove the hurt that may have been caused.

And in any case, the purpose of removing abuse from the public threads is to take account of the fact that it's public - anyone can come along after the fact and read the archive, maybe forming a view on the basis of something potentially libellous.

Therefore, I see no reason to abolish the rep system or remove the anonymity from it. You might just as well recommend that we abolish the forum because people have abused it in the past.
This is IMO a facile comparison.

This debate is about the merits or otherwise of allowing anonymous abuse. Nothing to do with whether it's Ok to have heated public disagreement that's attributable, with which I have no quarrel.

Anyway, we disagree. But at least I'm not in fear as a result... and everyone can see the views we express and form their view based on what they know about us.

Much healthier than the alternative.

er, IMHO ;)

Chris

Andy McGregor
17th-August-2004, 12:45 PM
As I say, I could live with an anonymous rep system that allowed no comments.

But removing it does not remove the hurt that may have been caused.

This can be said equally about any posting that is removed from the public part of the Forum.

This is IMO a facile comparison.

This debate is about the merits or otherwise of allowing anonymous abuse. Nothing to do with whether it's Ok to have heated public disagreement that's attributable, with which I have no quarrel.

Anyway, we disagree. But at least I'm not in fear as a result... and everyone can see the views we express and form their view based on what they know about us.

Much healthier than the alternative.

er, IMHO ;)

Chris

This comparison would be facile (although not a word I use, ever) if rep were truly anonymous. It is not anonymous, the identity of the person giving the rep is hidden from the person receiving it. But the identity of the person giving the rep is known to the moderators. The person giving the rep must know this and moderate his/her behavior with that in mind.

Sheepman
17th-August-2004, 12:50 PM
Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need for anonymous reps (positive or negative). If you feel that strongly about something to make a comment, surely you would want your name associated with the comment ?
I don't have a problem with comments being anonymous, even though apart from early on with this system (or when I have forgotten) I have always added my name. I think the system is fun even if open to abuse. I use it mainly when a post agrees so much with my thoughts/views that I feel there is no point in duplicating what has been said in a new post, or when I've laughed out loud.
On the negative side, I've adopted the approach that if I don't like what has been said, I'll give it a few hours to see what develops, and reconsider about giving neg rep. Maybe this is just too sycophantic, but I haven't neg repped since adopting this.

The point about Jayne's rep comment is (IMO) that this is abusive. There is an implication that the repper knows her, and I can see why she would be upset by this. Whether or not her original post deserved rep is irrelevant. Maybe it was a comment made with "tongue firmly in cheek" but if so, surely it would be signed? I don't think the rep system should be about being abusive to others, so such comments should be reported to the moderators, and at that point the anonymity ends.

Greg

Sparkles
17th-August-2004, 01:13 PM
I've just tried this, and discovered that if you do it on a post where someone has given you some rep, then you do get the comment in the pop up (thanks "S" :hug: ). If you get multiple reps for a post, I don't know if all the comments will appear, but presumably they will.
Greg

Yup, they do! (I just checked)

It's a shame Jayne has been upset, but I don't think the whole thing should be scrapped just because someone got a bit of bad rep and got upset about it. This debate isn't about one person's reaction to one piece of rep (or at least it shouldn't be) it should be about how everyone feels about the system as a whole.
IMO reps were a good, fun thing, when we had access to them on the User CP. Any specific problems should be put to the moderators, as I believe this particular query has been from what you've said, Jayne. Otherwise can the rest of us not just go on enjoying things as they were? I'm feeling rather miffed that because someone has had an unfortunate piece of rep everyone is now missing out on a system that was generally good. :sad:
Maybe there are more reasons than that, not meaning to blame anyone in particular - but until a moderator explains what's going on I guess we won't know. :confused:

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 01:21 PM
This can be said equally about any posting that is removed from the public part of the Forum.

Of course it can - which is why I pointed out the actual purpose of removing an abusive post, which is primarily to ensure the abuse doesn't remain present for ever and a day to be seen by people not at all connected with the original dispute. Secondarily, I suppose, it prevents a wound being repeatedly reopened every time the post is seen, which is another benefit.

This comparison would be facile (although not a word I use, ever) if rep were truly anonymous.

I used the word facile very carefully: my copy of the Concise OED gives "appearing comprehensive only by ignoring the complexities of an issue; superficial."

You used the obviously ludicrous idea of abolishing the forum as a reaction to the abuse in its history, in juxtaposition to my suggestion for abolishing the rep system, which is not the same type of thing at all, though I don't suppose I can stop you thinking it is.

Doing this sort of thing in a debate is a crude and superficial attempt at making the proposition you attack look equally ludicrous without needing to actually address the real point; hence my use of the word 'facile'.

It is not anonymous, the identity of the person giving the rep is hidden from the person receiving it. But the identity of the person giving the rep is known to the moderators. The person giving the rep must know this and moderate his/her behavior with that in mind.
Of course it's anonymous - now at any rate - since there is no offer, let alone guarantee, that the moderators will reveal the identity of the perpetrator.

The slagging is anonymous to the person being slagged - and that is the important point. Just because someone else might be able to find out who it is seems irrelevant to me, since the abuse potential is not mitigated by that possibility.

Chris

DianaS
17th-August-2004, 01:24 PM
I've found how to find your rep points! It's really easy!!

I currently have the same number that I had before we crashed so don't know if new points are being added or substracted,
SO give me some rep positive or negative and I'll see if it has an affect

You know it makes sense
Diana
Okay thanks for the test.
The rep system is still working so you can check to see whether you are receiving rep by listing your posts and checking each one.

DavidB
17th-August-2004, 01:26 PM
Taking part in this forum is a bit like a contract - you can say what you want, but you agree to sign your name to it. Any responses are similarly signed. But the anonymous reps have changed this 'contract'. Speaking your mind can open you up to abuse, and you have no idea where it came from.

Having said that I like the rep system. I think it provides a quick and simple feedback on what you have posted - whether serious or light-hearted.

For me the best solution would be to have the option on whether you accept anonymous rep comments. You still get signed comments, and you still get rep without comments. But unsigned ones are optional.

However I don't know if the forum software allows this?

DianaS
17th-August-2004, 01:31 PM
Taking part in this forum is a bit like a contract - you can say what you want, but you agree to sign your name to it. Any responses are similarly signed. But the anonymous reps have changed this 'contract'. Speaking your mind can open you up to abuse, and you have no idea where it came from.

Having said that I like the rep system. I think it provides a quick and simple feedback on what you have posted - whether serious or light-hearted.

For me the best solution would be to have the option on whether you accept anonymous rep comments. You still get signed comments, and you still get rep without comments. But unsigned ones are optional.

However I don't know if the forum software allows this?
I don't either but its a good idea, I sort of think though that signing should be an automatic field which is selected or unselected. People who sign, can at the moment sign any ones name to be naughty!

Divissima
17th-August-2004, 01:39 PM
This is a slight tangent to the main discussion, so I'll try to keep it brief.

I have to say that, like Chris, I have changed my point of view on rep being anonymous. I had initially supported it, but now I am increasingly uneasy about the potential for the system to be abused. I realise, as Sparkles says, that most users like the system as it is and it is only a small number who are likely to send negative rep such as Jayne received. One or two malicious cowards spoiling it for everyone else.

Here comes the tangent....

I have noticed that far more people are posting about anonymous rep they have received (whether positive or negative) than I can remember posting about PMs they have received. I believe this is because rep, particularly negative rep, has the potential to leave people wanting to reply, or at least explain or defend their initial post or point of view. PMs, in my opinion, seem to have been more effective in keeping private disagreements private - people can exchange views, even heated, views, off the public domain. Rep gives people little choice but to complain, explain or justify publicly. They can also appeal to the Moderators if they get something unpleasant - but so far we don't know what action, if any, the moderators can or will take.

I agree with Andy that the system promotes honesty - but I don't think that is enough without responsibility and accountability. I have seldom considered giving negative rep - and did so only at the beginning of the new system (I have since discussed the rep and apologised for it with the 2 repees). I think this forum should be about exchanging views (with accountability), it shouldn't be a popularity contest. And don't forget, some people have been upset by negative rep even where there was no comment attached.

Bardsey
17th-August-2004, 01:45 PM

I'm not one for posting my opinions on the serious stuff (as most of you must realise) I just usually go for the "fun" stuff, but must admit I was really disappointed to find that ALL my rep comments have now disappeared. I haven't had any rep points since, so can't say whether or not I get to see anyone's comments or not.

I always signed my rep comments and only ever sent one neg (which was in fun) and signed it.

I agree with the above comments of DavidB.

Please bring back the rep comments, Franck! :flower:

Pammy
17th-August-2004, 02:09 PM
I must admit I'm shocked as to the anonomous comment that Jayne received. Perhaps alarmed would be a better word. I have read everyones comments and still feel so disappointed that this has happened. Jayne is one of the last people I would expect to receive negative rep. I was appauled at what was actually said to her and horrified to think it was someone amongst us that could pass that sort of comment on to her without batting an eyelid.

This is the sort of thing that upsets me. I can see why Jayne has removed her personal details from the site; knowing that this sort of person is lurking on here certainly makes me feel more than a little uneasy, and call me naive, but I really had no idea that anyone would/could be that nasty to someone like Jayne...

This isn't just negative rep. It's almost like "playground bullying" that you'd expect from a bunch of primary school children, and not adults, as we are, joined (most of the time as friends) by a common hobby.

Franck
17th-August-2004, 02:46 PM
as has been pointed out with the rep system as it was, you could try different people on ignore until you found out who sent you the rep when it failed to show up. I assume thats why Franck has removed the comments on USERCP ? Dont take it to heart Jayne, "constructive" comments like that should be treated with utmost disdain.That was indeed the reason, once Dianas had posted a way to bypass the anonymity, I decided to remove all comments from the User cp.

I still believe the rep system (positive and negative & anonymous) is a useful addition to the Forum, and regret that a hack was discovered to remove the anonymity, as I agree with Andy Mc Gregor when he says that you get a truer reflection of the general Forum opinion when comments are anonymous.
There are many times when I disagree strongly with the views or the tone of a post, but wouldn't want to either, fall out with the poster (as they are friends or I would also agree with them on other topics) or I simply don't have the time to get into a long debate via PM, and the rep system allowed me to voice my disapproval without any of the above.
To me, the rep system, is a bit like shouting at the television when someone (usually a politician) makes a particularly stupid comment or someone reflects exactly what you would have said. It's quick, it's easy, and apart from a few 'offensive' comments, pretty harmless.

The general adage about not speaking in anger, should also apply to the rep system of course, and i reckon that in the light of recent OTT comments, everyone should take Sheepman's advice and wait an hour or so before giving negative reputation... :nice:

With regards to the future, I am considering the different options. Unfortunately, the software is not as flexible as I would like it to be (yet), so I can't implement DavidB's suggestion, but I will investigate further.

As far as actions taken by moderators regarding abuse of the anonymity of comments, my current view is to have a word with the anonymous poster and ask them to tone down their comments in future. Should they continue to be abusive (with the same or different people) I would prevent them from giving reputation in the first instance and ultimately, would ban anyone not listening.
Reading all the negative reputation comments made from day 1, none were genuinely meant as aggressively as they would have been perceived, and in my opinion, it is just a case of learning how to be more circumspect. Despite the aggressive words / tone, I am assured in all cases and believe that no harm was intended, just a case of over-reaction. :flower:

Jayne
17th-August-2004, 03:03 PM
I am assured in all cases and believe that no harm was intended, just a case of over-reaction. :flower:
Why wasn't that assurance passed on then?

I will reply in full later once I've calmed down. At the moment I am absolutely livid.

J

Franck
17th-August-2004, 03:10 PM
Why wasn't that assurance passed on then?

I will reply in full later once I've calmed down. At the moment I am absolutely livid.Sorry Jayne,

I was away on holiday for 2 weeks, and only came back in time for the Champs on Saturday. I have a huge backlog of emails etc... so since speaking to the people concerned, haven't have a chance to reply to your PMs.

Also, just to clarify my post above (and specifically the bit you quoted), the over-reaction I was referring to, was on the part of the anonymous reppers, not on your part as I can totally understand that receiving insults and abuse is distressing.

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 03:47 PM
To me, the rep system, is a bit like shouting at the television when someone (usually a politician) makes a particularly stupid comment or someone reflects exactly what you would have said. It's quick, it's easy, and apart from a few 'offensive' comments, pretty harmless.

Franck, I'm astonished at this poorly-thought-out comparison.

If you shout at the television the person in question doesn't hear, so no offence is given.

my current view is to have a word with the anonymous poster and ask them to tone down their comments in future. Should they continue to be abusive (with the same or different people) I would prevent them from giving reputation in the first instance and ultimately, would ban anyone not listening.

This simply is not good enough IMO. With other abusive comments, at least there is the right of reply since they are attributable. With rep comments they are not.

You've provided absolutely nothing to reassure anyone who receives abusive, threatening, or otherwise unpleasant anonymous private messages - for that is what they are.

Except the promise of what may or may not become a smack on the wrist for the perpetrator with no guarantee of feedback to the victim, and I don't think this is sufficient protection.

You say yourself that you've been on holiday for a fortnight, and have been unable to attend to the matter. Well I'd never say you shouldn't take holiday, but in the meantime distress has been caused with no possibility of comeback.

Are you planning to tell Jayne who sent her the rep? Presumably you know who it was, and have had, or are planning to have a chat with him or her. But it still doesn't give her the right to reply, which is surely pretty much intrinsic to the 'forum' spirit.

Reading all the negative reputation comments made from day 1, none were genuinely meant as aggressively as they would have been perceived, and in my opinion, it is just a case of learning how to be more circumspect. Despite the aggressive words / tone, I am assured in all cases and believe that no harm was intended, just a case of over-reaction. :flower:

Franck, with respect, this seems to me an abuse of power. You are setting yourself up, now, to moderate not only what goes on in public forum, but also private exchanges. You are now judge and jury, you decide what one person may say in private to another. And it's all one way, since the repper gets in first, after which it's up to your good offices as to whether it's allowed or not, and in retrospect too, after any damage has been done.

Now I'm not at all suggesting that you would ever do anything but your very best in these circumstances, but such moderation is inappropriate IMO, since it is not within your remit to judge what offence or hurt may be caused by one individual to another in private – and certainly not after the event. As I say, I believe it’s an abuse of power.

Chris

RobC
17th-August-2004, 04:10 PM
~~~~SNIP~~~~
Franck, with respect, this seems to me an abuse of power. You are setting yourself up, now, to moderate not only what goes on in public forum, but also private exchanges. You are now judge and jury, you decide what one person may say in private to another. And it's all one way, since the repper gets in first, after which it's up to your good offices as to whether it's allowed or not, and in retrospect too, after any damage has been done.

Now I'm not at all suggesting that you would ever do anything but your very best in these circumstances, but such moderation is inappropriate IMO, since it is not within your remit to judge what offence or hurt may be caused by one individual to another in private – and certainly not after the event. As I say, I believe it’s an abuse of power.

Chris
Chill Chris. :flower: This is Franck's playground and if you don't like the way he polices the playground bullies, you do have the choice of not coming into the playground.

The forum is a fantastic place, and Franck has done wonderful things here. At the end of the day, how many other people can claim to have taken up the gauntlet and setup an online meeting place (at their own cost) where people from around the globe can come together and freely discuss passionate subjects close to their hearts. :worthy:

That said, I personally am firmly in the 'Reps should not be anonymous' camp. If someone has decided to make a comment on another persons posting, then there should always be the right to reply. It would be like standing outside AndyMcG's house and shouting "I don't like the colour of your doors", or "Your flower beds suck" and then running off before Andy has a chance to open the window to see who was shouting. It's not big and it's not clever and removing the anonymity will prevent it from happening.

Bardsey
17th-August-2004, 04:22 PM
outside AndyMcG's house and shouting "Your flower beds suck"

Do they? That's clever! I could be very naughty here, but I'll tame it and just say.........so if I chuck them a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille, they can't chew it? :confused:

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 04:30 PM
Chill Chris. :flower: This is Franck's playground and if you don't like the way he polices the playground bullies, you do have the choice of not coming into the playground.

Totally agree. I'd rather not exercise that choice yet, though.

And I've seen no evidence of Franck's attitude being 'this is the way it is, put up with it or go away'. He's been very receptive to feedback in the past, to his credit.

The forum is a fantastic place, and Franck has done wonderful things here.
I agree with this too, as I'm on record as saying on numerous occasions.

That said, I personally am firmly in the 'Reps should not be anonymous' camp. If someone has decided to make a comment on another persons posting, then there should always be the right to reply. It would be like standing outside AndyMcG's house and shouting "I don't like the colour of your doors", or "Your flower beds suck" and then running off before Andy has a chance to open the window to see who was shouting. It's not big and it's not clever and removing the anonymity will prevent it from happening.

....... :yeah:

Blimey, that's three agrees in the same post.

I need a lie down now. :flower:

Still think chiding an abuser after the fact if he judges it to be abuse, when there's no saying how much hurt has already been caused is totally out of order as a solution to the problem though. :flower: :flower:

Chris

Franck
17th-August-2004, 04:46 PM
If you shout at the television the person in question doesn't hear, so no offence is given.Don't you wish they would though?
In any event, many people send comments / feedback anonymously or not, via mail, email and interactive television which will be viewable by the person it is directed against. I am sure some comments are a lot more offensive than anything that has gone on here.

You've provided absolutely nothing to reassure anyone who receives abusive, threatening, or otherwise unpleasant anonymous private messages - for that is what they are.I only apologized for not being able to reply to Jayne during my absence. To date, there hasn't been any single anonymous threatening message sent via the rep system. Some of it has been insulting / offensive (and in Jayne's case, while the message was pretty clear, all the offensive words had been deleted or replaced by asterisks which suggests that the poster while angry at the time was still attempting to be civil at some level.

Are you planning to tell Jayne who sent her the rep? Presumably you know who it was, and have had, or are planning to have a chat with him or her. But it still doesn't give her the right to reply, which is surely pretty much intrinsic to the 'forum' spirit.I don't need to tell Jayne who it was as, thanks to Dianas' tip, she was able to work it out already.
In most cases, I wouldn't name the anonymous repper either. If anyone wants to reply, they can do so, as was done before by posting an open reply to the anonymous poster. In my opinion though, it is best to ignore childish insults and move on. Which is why, I have now hidden all the comments, so they can easily be ignored.

Franck, with respect, this seems to me an abuse of power. You are setting yourself up, now, to moderate not only what goes on in public forum, but also private exchanges.I don't understand where you're coming from here. From the start of the forum (and since the introduction of the rep system) it was made very clear that myself and moderators had access to and were able to moderate posts, and reputation comments. No new 'power', as you refer to it, has been granted.
I understand that on this occasion, you and Jayne disagree with my decision, and I'm indeed listening to your (public and private) pleas. I haven't made my mind up on how to handle the rep system yet, but will not take any knee-jerk reaction (beyond removing the comments, which I see as a temporary fix).
As this community grows ever larger, more boundaries will be tested, and some decisions will be wrong and the challenges will help develop and improve the Forum.
As I was typing this reply I noticed more posts and wanted to reply to this specific point:
Still think chiding an abuser after the fact if he judges it to be abuse, when there's no saying how much hurt has already been caused is totally out of order as a solution to the problem though. :flower: :flower: I believe that it is the only way.
I can either remove the reputation system, and ultimately remove the ability for any guest to post anywhere etc... but if anyone decides to abuse the system, then generally the damage will be done before I can prevent it.
Hiding the comments will give myself and the moderators more time to spot abusive messages and delete them before they are noticed, but ultimately, the success of the rep system and of the forum will rely on each of us behaving better (being more careful in what we post and more tolerant of others). I sincerely hope and believe this will work!

Sheepman
17th-August-2004, 05:26 PM
if anyone decides to abuse the system, then generally the damage will be done before I can prevent it. Which pretty much reflects real life, I don't see how it could be otherwise. (e.g take the case of advertising, (excluding TV ads,) advertisers are expected to conform to a code of conduct, but there is no moderator who is approving advertising before it appears. Ads are often pulled after the event when complaints are made about them.

People can cause offence be it anonymously or not, (we've seen it in posts here before, when it certainly wasn't anonymous). I think if we were to move to a system where everything was moderated before posting, the forum would soon be dead, but surely that is the only way that any damage could be prevented?

There is the argument about not having a right of reply to an anonymous repper, though I think as we have seen in the number of cases where discussions have followed from rep comments that have been posted up, there is certainly a "public" right of reply.

I can't say that the anonymous or not issue is one I feel especially strongly about, but I'm sure there are people who have valid reasons for wanting to remain anonymous, for positive or negative rep. Personally I felt the system was good as it was, OK it wasn't totally anonymous if you used Diana's method, but IMO you have to be pretty worked up about something before you will bother going through a list of possibly 100s of people in order to find out who repped you, and presumably all active members are pretty aware of how it was working. I'm reminded of the saying "Bad cases make bad law."

Greg

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 05:33 PM
Big snip

Whatever you say Franck; I'm obviously not getting through here. [sigh]

One last post from me on this thread...

I think Rob summed it up - sending a nasty comment and running away isn't big and it isn't clever, and making remarks attributable would either stop people from doing it, or at least give the right of reply, which is what I think the forum should be largely about.

I suppose I'm just being naive.

I suppose I'm just disappointed that such a friendly place as this would end up with any kind of system where anonymous nastiness was made so simple to achieve.

Thank you for disillusioning me.

Chris, naive no longer

Gus
17th-August-2004, 05:46 PM
I suppose I'm just disappointed that such a friendly place as this would end up with any kind of system where anonymous nastiness was made so simple to achieve.

Come on Chris .... this forum is full of people with a passionate interest ... so its unfortunately invetiable that strong feelings will lead to strong expresssions. Given the fact that the interest is dance, then you also have to deal with all the egos that go with that. Passion AND egos ... it surprises me that there aren't more spats :sick:

Given the politics, personalities and hidden agendas that pervade, I think that Franck and his team do a superb job with this forum. Its great that people can put forward views as to how to improve the forum ... but I'd far prefer to have the current forum (warts and all) than none at all.

ChrisA
17th-August-2004, 05:55 PM
Ok, then, one more :D

Come on Chris .... this forum is full of people with a passionate interest ... so its unfortunately invetiable that strong feelings will lead to strong expresssions. Given the fact that the interest is dance, then you also have to deal with all the egos that go with that. Passion AND egos ... it surprises me that there aren't more spats :sick:

I totally agree. And I've said much the same thing on numerous occasions.

I'm all for a bit of rowdiness once in a while, and I'm not shy of getting stuck in. And I'm perfectly capable sometimes of generating more heat than light - I'm pretty passionate myself :blush: , and not entirely ego-free, I must admit :whistle:

It's the anonymity I disagree with. If someone has the balls to post a strongly worded comment, then fine, I'd much rather people said what they mean rather than being complete jessies about expressing their opinion.

But not anonymously. That, I despise.

Chris

Lounge Lizard
17th-August-2004, 06:20 PM
there is a commercial angle here - Franck keeps all rep annonymous, then puts on a big dance where all the names behind the annonymous reps are displayed....but for that night only.
Think a lot might go to check that one out. :grin:

bigdjiver
17th-August-2004, 11:27 PM
Personally, I don't understand why people feel the need for anonymous reps (positive or negative). If you feel that strongly about something to make a comment, surely you would want your name associated with the comment ? ... If someone gives me a positive rep I feel bad if I have not given them one they have deserved, when the reason was lack of time or laziness. On the premise that others might feel the same, and because I do not wish to descend into luvviness, I mostly keep my positive reps anonymous. I have decided not to give negative ones, and to either respond instead via PM or on the forum.

Pammy
18th-August-2004, 09:46 AM
I think I'm slightly missing the point here as well. It's not about positive rep - yay, they're great to read, or negative rep - they're constructive and in their own way positive too.

What the Jayne debate is about is threatening rep. Negative rep does not need to use swear words or unpleasant references as to what you can do with your thoughts etc. We don't talk to each other like that on the forum??? Whoever wrote that message was all to aware that we don't use that sort of language to express ourselves on the forum as it can be taken in so many different ways and so whoever it was knew that she would take the rep in a way that upset her. That is what is unacceptable.

I'm all for negative rep's that say, anonomously or not "I think you're point was sarcastic and insulting" etc. but not the sort that Jayne received. That sort of behaviour has to be stamped out. If I received a message like Jayne's, I would be incredibly disturbed by it. Call me naive if you like, but I really would be very upset, as I think she probably is (although I've not spoken to her about it). Knowing that someone has that sort of strong negative feeling about you, and is someone you could possibly be standing next to whenever you go out dancing must be an awful feeling and I really feel for Jayne in this....

Again though, it's a shame that someone would come onto the forum and want to make a comment that would cause Jayne upset, cause Franck hassle in trying to work out the best way of dealing with it etc. etc.

Negative Rep : Fine.
Positive Rep: Fine.
Anonymous Rep: Fine.
Just no nastiness or threatening rep either....

Jayne
18th-August-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm all for negative rep's that say, anonomously or not "I think you're point was sarcastic and insulting" etc. but not the sort that Jayne received. That sort of behaviour has to be stamped out. If I received a message like Jayne's, I would be incredibly disturbed by it. Call me naive if you like, but I really would be very upset, as I think she probably is (although I've not spoken to her about it). Knowing that someone has that sort of strong negative feeling about you, and is someone you could possibly be standing next to whenever you go out dancing must be an awful feeling and I really feel for Jayne in this....
That's exactly the point Pammy - and one that Franck seems unable to grasp. :angry:

I've had neg rep about other things and I've taken it on board (I'd thank the person, but it was another anonymous one.)

But this rep was different. I was terribly upset by it. I was sitting at work, minding my own business and all of a sudden I got that (albeit censored) foul-mouthed outburst sent to me personally. It wasn't just shouting at the TV, it wasn't an advert by the road - it was deliberately sent to me.

Now if it was signed by someone like Andy (love ya babe - you're just my example! :flower: ) then I could a)PM him, b)speak to him about it or c) think "oh, it's Andy. I wouldn't expect anything else from him".

BUT

This was unsigned.

I had NO idea who it had come from.

I didn't know if they were just a "standard to$$er" or someone who had a real grudge against me. I didn't know how much they knew about me. Or if they felt so strongly about it as to do other things to me. OK, looking back it would be easy to say that that's an over-reaction - but I had no idea how serious the threat was or where it was coming from. I was literally scared $hitle$$ to go dancing again.

Can you imagine how you would feel if you started receiving anonymous letters in that tone through the post? Or if you received a heavy breathing phone call? Now take that emotion and double it - because you know that the abuse has most likely come from someone you know.

Now Franck's so-called argument is that he's spoken to the person who sent it to me and is "assured in all cases and believe that no harm was intended". Really?? Like they're going to say otherwise? Well that's of no reassurance to me Franck.

His policy seems to be to let people send abuse and then once it's happened to have a nice quiet word with the abuser - and say nothing to the abused. Franck doesn't know if I know who sent it to me. And he is withholding that information from me.

This isn't a case of random outbursts at the TV or offensive advertising campaigns Franck. This is personal abuse sent from one person to another. The result of which is much upset on the part of the recipient and a cozy wee protective bubble for the abuser.

Franck, you seem to be fogetting that you now have paying customers. This doesn't just mean income for you. It means that you have a responsibility to your paying customers. You seem to be fogetting this latter point. I would put this in a PM - but it appears that you haven't read the previous ones I sent you (unless you can manipulate the forum like that, being supreme forum moderator). And if you have read them you haven't had the courtesy to reply.

Sorry if the language in this post offended anyone - this is the toned down version of what I felt like posting yesterday.

J

bigdjiver
18th-August-2004, 11:19 AM
I think I too am coming around to the view that the rep system has more downside than upside.

Will
18th-August-2004, 11:57 AM
For what it's worth, my opinion is that if we are going to have a rep system, it should not be anonymous. I think hiding the comments so you can't do the "ignore list" trick is a mistake.

Maybe the answer is that if you are a paying customer, you can disable people giving you rep at all (Didn't DavidB say something like that?)

Franck
18th-August-2004, 01:13 PM
That's exactly the point Pammy - and one that Franck seems unable to grasp. :angry: There is, in my view, nothing else I could have done. You found out who posted the comment, I removed the ability to view comments to avoid similar things happening again. I did apologize for being away on holiday and unable to reply immediately to your concerns. I am sure that either Emma or Sheena (moderators) would have dealt with it had they realised at the time.
With hindsight, any upsetting reputation comment should be reported using the 'Report bad post' link so that all moderators can be notified immediately. Had any of us been notified (and able to respond in my case) we would have provided all the reassurance / support you needed there and then, including the name of the poster if relevant. The system isn't perfect and as many regular posters have found out, when you enter a public community, you open yourself to a lot of feedback, good and bad...

Franck doesn't know if I know who sent it to me. And he is withholding that information from me. Jayne, I do know that you found out who had sent you the reputation on the 6th of August, the day after your received the comment, as you mentioned that fact while giving good reputation to someone. Since the comments were no longer anonymous to you, you had the option to either ignore them as a childish outburst or take up your right to reply directly.

Franck, you seem to be fogetting that you now have paying customers. This doesn't just mean income for you. It means that you have a responsibility to your paying customers. You seem to be fogetting this latter point. This is a red herring Jayne, the money involved affords a few more features to premium members and nothing else.

I have a responsibility to all Forum users, regardless of whether they are paying or not.

MartinHarper
18th-August-2004, 03:20 PM
There is no moderator who is approving advertising before it appears.

Going off-topic, the ASA occasionally requires pre-approval on advertising for specific companies for (say) six months: recently FCUK, after their recent nonsense.

Pre-approval in discussion groups can certainly work (moderated usenet groups, for example), but it tends to eat up a lot of volunteer/employee time. Also, it's not always a net benefit - by using pre-moderation you send a message to people that they aren't trusted, which can be counter-productive.

MartinHarper
18th-August-2004, 03:49 PM
I had no idea how serious the threat was or where it was coming from. I was literally scared $hitle$$ to go dancing again.

Don't be.

Nobody is universally loved. The anon rep tells you that one person didn't like one thing you said, and also thinks you're arrogant. No big deal, and life is too short to let a two line comment on an internet forum effect your fun.

I'm sure there are a few people who you find arrogant from time to time, and I don't see you going on a Kill Bill style rampage... :)

Jayne
18th-August-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't see you going on a Kill Bill style rampage... :)
But you don't know me Martin! :devil: :wink:

I get your point and the rational part of my brain told me that. But for the first day when I didn't know who it was, I had no idea what I was up against, if anything. That's the point I've been trying to make.

CJ
18th-August-2004, 05:34 PM
Are we having a Commercial Union moment, here?!?!?!!?!?!

If I have seen the whole rep, it didn't strike me as that bad.

If I haven't seen the whole rep, then what I'm about to say is WILDLY inaccurate and I look forward to my flaming.

I read Andy McG's comments too. I have to ask: could Amir's comment have alluded to all the GOOD dancers being absent and only detritus being present that night?

Was the rep threataning? Not from what I saw.

Would it be enough to make me delete my personal info from my profile? No.

Buy an alarm for my house? No.

Take extra kung fu lessons? Erm, no.

Still, crises are never enough: let's have some more drama...

(J, I sincerely hope I have seen the whole rep. As I said above, if I haven't, then I'm commenting on stuff about which I know nothing and can only hope I don't offend you.)

CJ.

DianaS
18th-August-2004, 08:27 PM
I don't think that Jayne should be expected to defend how she felt about the rep, but it is important that how she felt is recognised.

Whoever sent it probably now has more insight into how it was received and I would hope wouldn't have anticipated how Jayne and other women may have responded to this message from a stranger.

These things can be creepy CJ, you've probably never had the experiences that many women have, unfortunatly men can behave in a quite predatory way, so we tend to learn to protect ourselves. And one way of doing this is by knowing who we are engaging with and how to keep ourselves safe.
Sad but that is life, and something that we learn.

I don't feel that I have to protect myself here, or at dance venues, but I have had to protect myself in other situations and do recognise why Jayne felt threatened by the messsage and the context in which it was received.

I also think that there was probably no intention to make her feel this way, sometimes our actions send out ripples beyond our control. Mine did when I playfully explained how to deduce authorship of "anonymous" rep. I had no idea of the storm that was to follow and the amount of work and expense it would generate for Franck.

I find myself apologising yet again for my thoughtlessness. I'm not going to contribute again to this thread, as I think we're in danger of loosing the plot. I'm off dancing tonight and intend to strut my stuff like a good 'n

BW all
Diana
See you in the sin-bin should be my bi-line :clap: :rofl:

Jive Brummie
18th-August-2004, 09:02 PM
This is a toughy.

Having read what I assume is all the rep comment from Jayne's quote, my personnal feeling is that it was sent by someone equally as passionate about their dancing as the next man/woman. The comment made by Amir and then repeated by Jayne was offensive to the point whereby anyone who hadn't attended, would, IMO be just in feeling somewhat disgruntled. And, as dancers, and all being passionate people, neg rep was sent and received. In the heat of the moment we can all sometimes explode in a fit of profanity and wild accusation........and if we're all being honest, i think we've all done this in the past. However, having said this, I do feel that the person who sent the rep maybe should have taken a big deep breath first and then thought about a more constructive comment.

I would go as far as to say, I think it's definatley worth proof reading a post before submitting it, as the most innocent of remarks can, and probably will be taken literally or in the wrong context by someone on-line.

As far as Franck's corrective action is concerned, I really don't know how he can be expected to tell someone off for something they are yet to do..... It's an unfortunate case of suck it and see, and without a public flogging in the town square, followed by 50 lashes for an emotional response on a passionate subject, what do we expect him to do.
I'm sure if such problems persist, the man Pauly will step in, and escort out, the necessary evil which makes the forum the place it is today.

James :cheers:

spindr
18th-August-2004, 11:08 PM
I would go as far as to say, I think it's definatley worth proof reading a post before submitting it, as the most innocent of remarks can, and probably will be taken literally or in the wrong context by someone on-line.

Maybe Frank can do an "e-sure" forum -- it checks your posts / reps and IMs for derogatory comments -- if there are it blocks them and reminds you with a cheerful comment that:

"It's only a forum dear!"

and then maybe enforces a cooling off period?

SpinDr.

P.S. Definitely worth proof reading :)

Pammy
19th-August-2004, 09:47 AM
I still feel it was a cheap attack at Jayne. Something someone thought they'd get away with saying and even enjoyed the thought of making her feel damn uncomfy (my reasons for saying this is that as far as I am aware, they have made not attempt to convey to Jayne that they meant nothing by the post). Jayne's original comment was "tongue in cheek" and much worse gets said on here without anyone batting an eyelid.

Franck has a tough job deciding what is and isn't ok and it is tough being at the top and indeed time consuming and hard having to make decisions such as this. Wouldn't it help Franck if people didn't put him in these difficult situations in the first place and any issues they felt needed "heated" debate were kept in the open where they could be seen and addressed accordingly. We are all more than capable of getting our points across in public...

If the person was merely thinking of commenting on Jayne's post they would have had no problems in raising any issues about it on the actual thread and a mere negative rep would have been sent. Also, if you offend someone unintentionally and without meaning to, isn't it customary to appologise for any offence caused?

I appreciate that there are people on the forum who wouldn't have batted an eye-lid at receiving a rep like that, but at the other end of the spectrum there are those that would have been deeply troubled by it. As people with different personalities, we all fall somewhere between those two extremes. It's irrelevant whether one of us would be offended and another wouldn't. CJ has said he wouldn't, I personally would have been. The problem is, it was sent to Jayne who WAS offended.

Someone once said to me "If somebody is upset, that's enough. Whether you understand why you've upset them isn't the issue. They are still upset". In this case, the person knows full well why Jayne was upset, but has chosen to do nothing about it, which I find in bad taste.

We should all be friends on here. We all know each other, not just as forum names, but in person. Shouldn't we all try and be friendly towards each other as much as possible? Surely that should mean that we might get irritated with each other from time to time, but we should still hold respect for each other, and each others feelings AND more importantly, appreciate what makes each of us tick and support them when something distresses them? In this case there was no respect for Jayne as a person, or for her feelings which is not the sort of spirit I'd expect to see on this friendly forum.

CJ
19th-August-2004, 01:11 PM
It's irrelevant whether one of us would be offended and another wouldn't. CJ has said he wouldn't, I personally would have been. The problem is, it was sent to Jayne who WAS offended.Pammy

Firstly, I said NO such thing. :tears:

Secondly, why is how other people would react irrelevant?!? Surely part of the reaction; Dianas' (well meant albeit illfated) suggestion; those jumping up and down in anger, sympathy, etc all come from how others would have reacted to such a rep.

Thirdly, yes Jayne was offended (to put it somewhat mildly) and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. (Not even Jayne :wink: ) (hope that wasn't in TOO bad taste). Anyway, I was offering the point of view that maybe the same rep in a different context (to the same or different people) ata different time may have solicited a different response. Jayne reacted the way she did and that is absolutely her right. As is her (all of our) right to post without abuse.

All I was trying to say is that it didn't (in my humble, but not always, opinion) deserve the attention it got from J herself. Yes, easy for me to say but if one has one's head above the parapet often enough for long enough (e.g. McG fellow) , you get used to being shot at. I hope, J, you know next time not to take it quite so personally if it happens again (and obviously I hope it doesn't) and bear in mind that the comment itself is a sad reflection of the donor and not the recipient.

The time has come to now spread some love, and a little peace.

I ask every reader of this post to pick 2 people on this forum: 1 they know and one they don't (YES, a complete random) and wish them, by PM, a very happy Thursday.

Thank you for your attentions...

Dreadful Scathe
19th-August-2004, 01:31 PM
Celebrate a Thursday..bah...lets celebrate today, 19th August as Gene Roddenberry Day , he may be dead but it would have been his birthday and he's surely a genius of our times :)

Happy Gene Roddenberry greetings winging their way to 2 people now....

Pammy
19th-August-2004, 01:50 PM
Thirdly, yes Jayne was offended (to put it somewhat mildly) and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. (Not even Jayne :wink: ) (hope that wasn't in TOO bad taste). Anyway, I was offering the point of view that maybe the same rep in a different context (to the same or different people) ata different time may have solicited a different response. Jayne reacted the way she did and that is absolutely her right. As is her (all of our) right to post without abuse.

That is what I meant. Or at least it sounds like it, just putting it differently :grin: Although on a lighter note, you must always remember, I have a smaller brain than everyone else so I may misinterpret what you've said due to lack of capacity etc. etc.

CJ. I would like to propose to you a dance in the style of Gene Roddenberry at the forthcoming BFG and hope you accept :D

Yours, awaiting your response.

The Pamster
x

DianaS
19th-August-2004, 01:54 PM
Whose Gene Wattissts then?

Pammy
19th-August-2004, 01:56 PM
Whose Gene Wattissts then?

Just call me Nurse Chapel during the celebratory dance.... :wink:

Rhythm King
19th-August-2004, 02:02 PM
Celebrate a Thursday..bah...lets celebrate today, 19th August as Gene Roddenberry Day , he may be dead but it would have been his birthday and he's surely a genius of our times :)

Happy Gene Roddenberry greetings winging their way to 2 people now....

:worthy: :worthy:

Good call DS! I shall raise a cup of blood wine to him, right after I finish my rakt'chino!

R-K

CJ
19th-August-2004, 02:06 PM
That is what I meant. Or at least it sounds like it, just putting it differently :grin: Although on a lighter note, you must always remember, I have a smaller brain than everyone else so I may misinterpret what you've said due to lack of capacity etc. etc.

CJ. I would like to propose to you a dance in the style of Gene Roddenberry at the forthcoming BFG and hope you accept :D

Yours, awaiting your response.

The Pamster
x

I'm not sure if I'm to accept in the style of Gene Rodberry or to dance in the style of Gene Rodberry, but I'd be delighted. :hug:

And so, we are to boldly dance like no others have danced before....

(Does the split infinitive give any clues?!?!)

Minnie M
19th-August-2004, 02:10 PM
And poor Scotty, who I believe died recently :tears:

Rhythm King
19th-August-2004, 02:21 PM
Just call me Nurse Chapel during the celebratory dance.... :wink:

Pamster, you gonna wear the blue dress and everything? :drool: Can I get a dance then too? :wink:

And poor Scotty, who I believe died recently

It's worse than that, he's dead Jim.

R-K x

latinlover
19th-August-2004, 02:25 PM
Pamster, you gonna wear the blue dress and everything? :drool: Can I get a dance then too? :wink:

It's worse than that, he's dead Jim.

R-K x

maybe the BFG could be in Fife Jim, but not as we know it? :rofl:

Rhythm King
19th-August-2004, 02:28 PM

That would be illogical, Captain :what: <-in lieu of lack of emotion Smiley

Lory
19th-August-2004, 02:29 PM
:rolleyes: someone, 'beam me up' :whistle: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 02:34 PM
Yes, easy for me to say but if one has one's head above the parapet often enough for long enough (e.g. McG fellow) , you get used to being shot at.

Most of the time I do it on purpose: I put up an opinion to get a reaction. But I do expect people to disagree with what I've said rather than take random shots at me with insults such as a "sad little man" - which is a meaningless insult.

I say let's have better, more targetted disagreements on here. None of this blunderbuss stuff with nasty undertones/overcoats.

"Blue guys can't dance"

Rhythm King
19th-August-2004, 02:45 PM
:rolleyes: someone, 'beam me up' :whistle: :rofl:

But by all accounts, your beam can wiggle up and down one cheek at a time :wink:

BTW, sorry to mention something on thread, but I too am missing reading the rep comments. I haven't worked out where the current rep points come from, unless I hit the scales icon of the the post in question. This is a bit hit and miss. It's a pity people can't be trusted to play a bit fairer, on something that's only meant to be a bit of fun. I think it's indefensible that someone would write the sort of thing that was sent to Jayne, or anyone else in a similar position. On the other hand, I think the forum is a terrific resource for sharing knowledge and opinion and just plain fun, so well done Franck :worthy: It's a pity that the London chat forum was closed down by people who were perhaps overly sensitive to what was generally meant to be constructive criticism and debate. Then again, if it hadn't, I guess some of us wouldn't have come here...

MartinHarper
19th-August-2004, 02:46 PM
Support [friends] when something distresses them.

Of course. One form of support is reassurance. Another is to put problems into perspective. That's what folks have been doing here... perhaps with varying degrees of success. :)

Dreadful Scathe
19th-August-2004, 02:56 PM
"Blue guys can't dance"

What about Blue Smurfs ? :grin:

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 03:05 PM
BTW, sorry to mention something on thread, but I too am missing reading the rep comments. I haven't worked out where the current rep points come from, unless I hit the scales icon of the the post in question. This is a bit hit and miss.

I agree with RK. And I have a radical solution. Why not remove the facility to place people on your ignore list?

I've only ever placed one person on my ignore list and I must admit that it was always tempting to read what they'd posted. So I'm not sure how much value there is in having the ignore list - and that is what made necessary the disappearance of rep comments in User CP.

I think knowing which post you received rep for is a far greater benefit than being able to ignore people's postings. To see what other people think I've posted a poll here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3508)

Pammy
19th-August-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure if I'm to accept in the style of Gene Rodberry or to dance in the style of Gene Rodberry, but I'd be delighted. :hug:

And so, we are to boldly dance like no others have danced before....

(Does the split infinitive give any clues?!?!)

Aye Aye Captain - that was both of us in Style. Nurse Chapel when you're paying attention, and when you're not, I am of course Uhura - with an ear-piece and I'm listening to all of you, right now!!! :eek:

Make sure you've got your tight lycra catsuit on CJ, with an italic V on the right breast :yum:

Just have to watch out for those Tribbles in the air vents.... There's one... Oh nope, it's just a smurf... :wink:

Andy McGregor
19th-August-2004, 03:26 PM
What about Blue Smurfs ? :grin:

Blue Smurfs? :confused:

Isn't that like saying Gold Goldfish?

Anyhow, Smurfs: can they dance? It's dancing Jim, but not as we know it :wink:

CJ
19th-August-2004, 03:31 PM
Make sure you've got your tight lycra catsuit on CJ, with an italic V on the right breast :yum:

I have a metallic "O" in my left, if that helps.... :eek:

That aside, the above is one Star Trek reference too far for me: I dinnae get it :tears:

Sheepman
19th-August-2004, 03:41 PM
with an italic V on the right breast Pardon me for mentioning it, but won't that make him look like a right t1t?

Greg

CJ
19th-August-2004, 03:45 PM
Pardon me for metioning it, but won't that make him look like a right t1t?

Greg

I resent that, woolly boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

I'm perfectly capable of that myself without any help, thank you very much.

Pammy
19th-August-2004, 04:06 PM
Just for CJ

http://www.alen-clothes.co.uk/trek.html

Lory
19th-August-2004, 04:06 PM
Pardon me for mentioning it, but won't that make him look like a right t1t?

Greg
I'm betting he'll make a right AR*E of him self at the BFG :wink:

Pammy
19th-August-2004, 05:15 PM

You missed off the T. TAR*E :innocent:

Sparkles
20th-August-2004, 09:53 AM
Anyhow, Smurfs: can they dance? It's dancing Jim, but not as we know it :wink:

If I ever get a dance with him I'll let you know.
It turns out that Smurfs are generally lovely, but most elusive when a good trck comes on and there's dance space available...
... hmmm, maybe I'm just not quick enough, perhaps the Klingons got there first...:eek:

Pammy
20th-August-2004, 09:53 AM

Do you think he'll boldly go where no man has gone before? :wink:

Sparkles
20th-August-2004, 09:57 AM
I think he might have already missed his chance there... haven't you met Holly? :blush:

CJ
20th-August-2004, 09:59 AM

There can't be many of THOSE places at a Ceroc bash!! :wink:

:whistle: :innocent:

Pammy
20th-August-2004, 10:16 AM
There can't be many of THOSE places at a Ceroc bash!! :wink:

:whistle: :innocent:

Ah, same in your neck of the woods then.... :wink:

Bardsey
23rd-August-2004, 12:32 PM

There's a very good chance that I will as well...........I mean what am I going to do? How will I be able to get off the ground......with this damn PLASTER CAST on my right arm.......you'd think, wouldn't you, that a 7" fairy with enormous pink wings would just be able to flutter upwards instead of crashing almightily on her elbow, onto the pavement, when falling from her bike......which of course begs the question......what the h*ll is a fairy doing riding a bike? Don't ask!!! :tears: :tears: B*gger! but it hurts :tears:

I'm typing with one hand now, so sorry for the slowness.......I'm hoping I'll have the damn thing off by Southport!

Sheepman
23rd-August-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm hoping I'll have the damn thing off by Southport! Bardsey, it is starting to look as though you are arranging timely hospital visits in order to avoid dancing with me :tears: This does seem a bit drastic though! :tears: :tears:

Really sorry to hear what has happened, if you still make it to BFG, can I still have a dance? I don't mind which arm/no arms/wings/whatever!

Greg :flower:

TheTramp
23rd-August-2004, 02:37 PM
Ack!! Not another accident :hug:

Hope you're all better by Southport...

Trampy

Pammy
23rd-August-2004, 03:21 PM
Bardster - Hope you're better soon honey. :flower:

Rhythm King
23rd-August-2004, 03:26 PM
Oh Bardsey, what are you like? So long as your legs aren't in plaster you should still be able to dance though :wink:
Get well soon

R-K

Bardsey
23rd-August-2004, 03:27 PM
Bardsey, it is starting to look as though you are arranging timely hospital visits in order to avoid dancing with me :tears: This does seem a bit drastic though! :tears: :tears:

Really sorry to hear what has happened, if you still make it to BFG, can I still have a dance? I don't mind which arm/no arms/wings/whatever!

Greg :flower:

:rofl: Forgot about that! 'Course, I didn't make Blackpool either, did I? Do you think I'm cursed where dance week-ends are concerned? :eek:

No worries, I WILL be at the BFG and Southport.......potless (please, please, please! :worthy: )

Sparkles
8th-September-2004, 01:43 AM
Hey, we're up to three rep comments in the User CP again everybody :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks Franck :flower:
S. x

baldrick
9th-September-2004, 11:24 AM
Suddenly there was four :D

Sparkles
9th-September-2004, 01:01 PM
Franck, if you rep someone that's only got a couple of posts but you've got over 30 does your rep count for them? I know that theirs wouldn't count for you, just wondering what the reverse situation was...

TheTramp
9th-September-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah. They'll still get rep. Even if they can't rep you back. Well, they can, but you won't increase because of it....

Trampy

Sparkles
9th-September-2004, 01:05 PM
Yeah. They'll still get rep. Even if they can't rep you back. Well, they can, but you won't increase because of it....

Trampy

Ah ha
it's funny you know, it's not that long ago that it was me with less than 30 posts, but I couldn't remember what the deal was...
maybe I'm getting old :what:

Sheepman
9th-September-2004, 03:32 PM
maybe I'm getting old Nah, just wise :wink:

Greg

foxylady
9th-September-2004, 10:18 PM
Nah, just wise :wink:

Greg

Sparkles !!! Wise !!! She's got a lot of learning to do...

She needs some good teachers, any volunteers ?? :wink: doh!

under par
10th-September-2004, 11:37 AM
Ah ha
it's funny you know, it's not that long ago that it was me with less than 30 posts, but I couldn't remember what the deal was...
maybe I'm getting old :what:

We are all getting old ,slowly, a day at a time, together. :hug:

Sparkles
10th-September-2004, 01:32 PM
Sparkles !!! Wise !!! She's got a lot of learning to do...

She needs some good teachers, any volunteers ?? :wink: doh!

I think I'm slowly aquiring members of a high council, dedicated to my training and education. :o
Thank you all :flower:

drathzel
10th-September-2004, 02:19 PM
Suddenly there was four :D

yeahy!!! we love franck!!! :worthy: :worthy:

baldrick
10th-September-2004, 03:50 PM
yeahy!!! we love franck!!! :worthy: :worthy:
We do? :confused:

I mean

We DO :clap: :clap: :worthy:

Sparkles
10th-September-2004, 03:53 PM

I mean

OF COURSE WE DO!!! :kiss: :worthy: :flower:

Gadget
10th-September-2004, 05:30 PM
{although not in the biblical sense :innocent:} :flower:

drathzel
10th-September-2004, 06:55 PM
{although not in the biblical sense :innocent:} :flower:

Yeahy yeahy yeahy

drathzel
10th-September-2004, 10:29 PM

I mean

Hey smelly.... you back this week? missed getting a dance!!! :(

baldrick
11th-September-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey smelly.... you back this week? missed getting a dance!!! :(
I will, if I survive tonight with health in tact, be back at JJ's on tues.
So wonderful to be greeted with warmth and creative homour :wink:

drathzel
11th-September-2004, 04:45 PM
I will, if I survive tonight with health in tact, be back at JJ's on tues.
So wonderful to be greeted with warmth and creative homour :wink:

Yeahy.. have fun tonight.. iwont be going.... :tears: i want to come home!!!!

baldrick
12th-September-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeahy.. have fun tonight.. iwont be going.... :tears: i want to come home!!!!
Missed you last night. :tears: Had great time and Nicola and Shona kept me company. :wink: Fab night, can't wait for BFG. See up Tue

drathzel
12th-September-2004, 01:04 PM
Missed you last night. :tears: Had great time and Nicola and Shona kept me company. :wink: Fab night, can't wait for BFG. See up Tue

I missed my first flight yesterday :blush: so i was nearly staying in the country and coming :grin: .. however i got on the next flight... :tears:

till tuesday..... :tears:

baldrick
12th-September-2004, 06:06 PM
Hay D, if your quick you could be most recent post on every section of the forum. Wonder if its ever been done? :D :D

drathzel
12th-September-2004, 06:10 PM
Hay D, if your quick you could be most recent post on every section of the forum. Wonder if its ever been done? :D :D

i had noticed that however i dont have posts to make on them and i dont want to be seen as only doing it for that reason!!! :D :really: :blush: :waycool:

baldrick
12th-September-2004, 06:17 PM
i had noticed that however i dont have posts to make on them and i dont want to be seen as only doing it for that reason!!! :D :really: :blush: :waycool:

It would be a real chalenge to get most recent on every section ( not every thread) and to make them all on topic and relavent and interesting. Like this :D :whistle:

drathzel
12th-September-2004, 06:22 PM
It would be a real chalenge to get most recent on every section ( not every thread) and to make them all on topic and relavent and interesting. Like this :D :whistle:

yes... interesting... yummy.. N.Irish ice cream!!! :drool:

drathzel
13th-September-2004, 10:30 PM
Ok back on the subject.

You see when u receive rep points, it can vary from comment to comment, why is this? Ie sometimes you get 1 point or sometime more than that! How and whay is this. I would be extremely grateful if someone could tell me why! Thank you very much (in advance) :D

Gadget
13th-September-2004, 11:36 PM
Different people, different points.
The more reps someone has, the more they give (or take).
The more posts they have made, the more they give (or take).

And that's about it.

Sparkles
14th-September-2004, 12:03 AM
Different people, different points.
The more reps someone has, the more they give (or take).
The more posts they have made, the more they give (or take).

And that's about it.
Just to confirm/clarify:
someone with lots of rep/posts will give/take more rep points than someone with less rep and/or fewer posts.
However I did hear talk that soon the number of posts someone has might not come into it anymore (but that would be for Franck to confirm or deny).
I believe, however, that the system is under an ongoing review at the moment (to be completed when Franck is satisfied) so the number of rep points people give will vary over the next few weeks/months while the creases are being ironed out of the system.
Good luck, Franck :worthy:

Lynn
14th-September-2004, 10:46 AM
yes... interesting... yummy.. N.Irish ice cream!!! :drool: Mauds?

Lynn
14th-September-2004, 10:47 AM
However I did hear talk that soon the number of posts someone has might not come into it anymore (but that would be for Franck to confirm or deny). Maybe it should be the more rep you have – the more the rep you give counts? Rep should in some way reflect what someone has contributed to the forum. Of course there are some ‘I’ll give them rep because I like them’ points, but even so it is probably a better reflection than sheer volume of posts as someone could make lots of posts without contributing that much to the forum community. Of course the most prolific posters on here do contribute to good discussions, make helpful comments etc. :flower:

baldrick
14th-September-2004, 10:56 AM
Maybe it should be the more rep you have – the more the rep you give counts? Rep should in some way reflect what someone has contributed to the forum. Of course there are some ‘I’ll give them rep because I like them’ points, but even so it is probably a better reflection than sheer volume of posts as someone could make lots of posts without contributing that much to the forum community. Of course the most prolific posters on here do contribute to good discussions, make helpful comments etc. :flower:
Can't help but agree with that. Some of us do stick to the lighter weight contributions. :yeah:

Franck
14th-September-2004, 11:10 AM
Just to confirm/clarify:
someone with lots of rep/posts will give/take more rep points than someone with less rep and/or fewer posts.
However I did hear talk that soon the number of posts someone has might not come into it anymore (but that would be for Franck to confirm or deny).
I believe, however, that the system is under an ongoing review at the moment (to be completed when Franck is satisfied) so the number of rep points people give will vary over the next few weeks/months while the creases are being ironed out of the system.As Sparkles explained the reputation 'power' you have depends on a variety of factors:

Register Date Factor (For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power).

Post Count Factor (For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power).

Reputation Point Factor (For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power).

Maybe it should be the more rep you have – the more the rep you give counts? Rep should in some way reflect what someone has contributed to the forum.In all 3 examples above, X is currently set at 180 days, 2000 posts and 50 reputation points. The X factor will change regularly, as I watch the system. If I feel for example that one factor is too influential. At the moment, the more rep you have (and the longer you have been on the Forum) the more reputation power you have.

It is also worth noting that whatever your reputation power, your reputation will count for nothing until you have made 20 posts, and your reputation is at least 10 (which is the starting level for everyone).
When giving negative reputation, you only deduct half of your current reputation power, so for example a positive rep from me might be worth 12 points, but a negative rep would only deduct 6 points.

I hope the above helps :nice:

Peter
14th-September-2004, 11:16 AM
X is currently set at 180 days, 2000 posts and 50 reputation points ...

.. so after only 67 more posts by Franck, rep from him is going to be REALLY valuable ...

Gadget
14th-September-2004, 11:19 AM
Ahhhhh.... :waycool:

MartinHarper
14th-September-2004, 11:27 AM
I understand that after giving someone negative rep you can't immediately give them more negative rep... but it's a shame that you can't give them positive rep either.

Franck
14th-September-2004, 11:52 AM
I understand that after giving someone negative rep you can't immediately give them more negative rep... but it's a shame that you can't give them positive rep either.The current settings are there to avoid multiple rep abuse. As things stand:

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit (How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period) = 12

Reputation User Spread (How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again) = 5

So in theory, you could give the same person reputation twice a day provided you also found another 5 people to rep in between.

RobC
14th-September-2004, 01:56 PM
Franck,
While we are talking about the various Rep settings, hows about a quick break down of how many points the dark green (and light green in your case :worthy: ) blobs represent against all our names ?

RobC

baldrick
14th-September-2004, 02:27 PM
ooooo rep POWER. I like it :D :clap:

Franck
14th-September-2004, 02:30 PM
Franck,
While we are talking about the various Rep settings, hows about a quick break down of how many points the dark green (and light green in your case :worthy: ) blobs represent against all our names ?You get awarded 1 reputation blob for every 100 points (200 points for the light green blobs)

And, the way it loops, it adds one to the blobs, so:

50 => 1 bar
99 => 1 bar
125 => 2 bar
199 => 2 bar
359 => 4 bar

Not the simplest of systems :D so I have added a new field displaying everyone's reputation score and power next to their posts!

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2004, 02:36 PM
Not sure I like it, now seems like I have a big number - Im sure some people will bring me down to size now :) The little boxes were much less 'in your face' :) maybe, 'subtle like a slap n the face' is the new slogan :)

Will there be an increase in sympathy votes too now simply because people rate low, I say this as Im tempted to do it myself now!

Gadget
14th-September-2004, 02:42 PM
Just for asthetics - can you take out the "rep" from "rep power" - it will make it line up nicer (in my browser anyway)

Not sure that I like the actual values being shown here; makes it more 'in your face' and my lead to "competativeness" May make people think twice before dissagreeing with a "powerfull" forumite, which is a bit naff.

Might be better to see in the controll panel. We'll see; it may grow on me.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2004, 02:50 PM
Just for asthetics - can you take out the "rep" from "rep power" - it will make it line up nicer (in my browser anyway)

Not sure that I like the actual values being shown here; makes it more 'in your face' and my lead to "competativeness" May make people think twice before dissagreeing with a "powerfull" forumite, which is a bit naff.

Might be better to see in the controll panel. We'll see; it may grow on me.
i just SAID 'in your face' didn't I, whats that..... quoting me with no 'thanks'!!! ...BEWARE THE POWER OF MY MIGHTY REP.......ill have to neg rep you for this ;) ...but unfortunately I have to spread it about a bit first.....

CJ
14th-September-2004, 02:58 PM
...but unfortunately I have to spread it about a bit first.....

How lucky is that?!? Your specialist subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

DianaS
14th-September-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure I like this, maybe cas mine is smaller than yours but it's starting to look more like a computer game and less like a discursive forum..
perhaps ZaPPING and Ker--poww will be frequent comments in the negative rep field..

C'mon obliterate me
I'm 154 / 4 and waning quickly :whistle:

baldrick
14th-September-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure I like this, maybe cas mine is smaller than yours but it's starting to look more like a computer game and less like a discursive forum..
perhaps ZaPPING and Ker--poww will be frequent comments in the negative rep field..

C'mon obliterate me
Would love to help but got to do that spreading thing :sad:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2004, 03:24 PM

C'mon obliterate me
Just noticed someone has negged you - down to 152 - but we can all look for who carrys 2 points of power and neg rep them too ;) Did they have the decency to say 'Zapow' or 'Kablooie' ? :)

hmm baldrick - 2 points eh ? :)

baldrick
14th-September-2004, 03:27 PM
Just noticed someone has negged you - down to 152 - but we can all look for who carrys 2 points of power and neg rep them too ;) Did they have the decency to say 'Zapow' or 'Kablooie' ? :)

No me, No me. I like DianaS. Never neg rep'd any body :(

Liz
14th-September-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey!

S. x
Help, can anyone explain to me what Reps are please? I might have some and not know it! Or, I might not have any and need some (even worse!!).

Can I still dance if I don't have any Reps. Can I buy them. Eat them. Or am I just awarded them? I was once a Rep myself, does that count?

DianaS
14th-September-2004, 03:34 PM

Checked my rep there's only positive stuff there, either I have an anonymous invisible negative repper, or it was a mistake of mine that I EVER had 152
sad eh?
In any case Kapoo Baldrick Just in case! Mine's bigger than yours!!
(Only joking, I don't neg rep either- yet)

Can we have kapoo emoticons or is it non-pc

baldrick
14th-September-2004, 03:38 PM
Help, can anyone explain to me what Reps are please? I might have some and not know it! Or, I might not have any and need some (even worse!!).

Can I still dance if I don't have any Reps. Can I buy them. Eat them. Or am I just awarded them? I was once a Rep myself, does that count?
You can be nice, which sometimes works. Begging or grovelling's good. Or bribe people by offering to dance with them at the BFG. :clap: :whistle:

Liz
14th-September-2004, 03:45 PM
You can be nice, which sometimes works. Begging or grovelling's good. Or bribe people by offering to dance with them at the BFG. :clap: :whistle:
Thanks Baldrick, I'll try anything once!

baldrick
14th-September-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks Baldrick, I'll try anything once!
Thats an offer which will probably work :rofl:

MartinHarper
14th-September-2004, 04:02 PM
I have added a new field displaying everyone's reputation score and power next to their posts!

Like DianaS, I don't like this. It gives a bit too much emphasis to the internals of the rep system for my liking, and takes up a fair bit of space. Perhaps it would be better to put that information in the "User CP" or the "Members List"?

Oh, and a quick plug for an essay on the subject that I think is close to the mark: Gaming the system: How moderation tools can backfire (http://designforcommunity.com/essay8.html)

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2004, 04:12 PM
It gives a bit too much emphasis to the internals of the rep system for my liking, and takes up a fair bit of space.

Nicely put. The emphasis shouldn't be on repping at all, it should be on the posts. Repping should be about a simple good or bad vote (albeit with comments).

A quote from your link was appropriate i think - "When people shoot for the easy wins to earn [rep] points, it narrows the field of discussion and discourages minority views from being expressed. Members will self-censor, afraid of saying something that will be [negative repped]."

TheTramp
14th-September-2004, 04:36 PM
Nicely put. The emphasis shouldn't be on repping at all, it should be on the posts. Repping should be about a simple good or bad vote (albeit with comments).

A quote from your link was appropriate i think - "When people shoot for the easy wins to earn [rep] points, it narrows the field of discussion and discourages minority views from being expressed. Members will self-censor, afraid of saying something that will be [negative repped]."
Indeed. Except for the few that don't care about being repped. Or the ones that know that their friends will send them enough positive rep (especially if they cry about being given a negative rep), that the odd negative rep doesn't matter to them.

In fact, it seems that mostly the people who post funny things (nothing wrong with this), or the people who rep lots of people themselves (mostly their friends??), or the people who post a lot (more than just one lines at a time!) are generally people with high rep (not to mention the people (person) who can set his (her) rep to whatever they want it to be!!).

I'm not sure that the rep system adds anything to the forum, other than a bit of fun. It does seem that some people do take it very seriously though. And actually worry about where their position in the 'rep table' is. Just make up something funny, possibly involving a well known film, and some members of the forum, and your rep will shoot up then....

As for it being 'fun'. I made the mistake once of saying what I thought in a rep, without really thinking. Probably shouldn't have done that! I guess that sending any negative rep will be seen as a personal attack, rather than a comment on what the person who is reading the post thinks about what is being said. Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future. Either that, or they're never going to send positive rep either. I don't see the point in sending positive rep if you're never going to send negative rep. Maybe that's just me. Possibly, it'd be quicker if Franck just changes everyones rep to the highest level, since that'll presumably be where it ends up one day (extrapolating far enough).

Trampy

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2004, 05:29 PM
Good points. Id agree with all of it, I dont think Ive negative repped anyone but I wouldn't complain (seriously) about getting one...except if you hate smurfs :). Perhaps Ive been taking it too seriously myself but Im sure there are others who read more into it than i do. :)

Gadget
14th-September-2004, 05:32 PM
Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future. Either that, or they're never going to send positive rep either.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything said, except for the above bit:

positive rep (for me) is like nodding, and agreeing with what's being said; I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, but agree with the post.

Negative rep would be dissagreeing with the post - in which case, what's the point in just shakeing your head? I would post why I dissagree with a particular view rather than just negative repping.

Emma
14th-September-2004, 05:59 PM
it's starting to look more like a computer game Was it ever anything else? ;)

Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future. Either that, or they're never going to send positive rep either. I don't see the point in sending positive rep if you're never going to send negative rep. Maybe that's just me. I've said that. ..not at all because I don't anticipate ever disagreeing with someone, but because (especially at the time when the reps were anonymous) I thought it was far more constructive either to move on debate by disagreeing openly in a thread, or if it was a personal issue to sort it out through PMing.

Anyway, as I've said on several occasions before I'm not a big fan of the rep system, and have made a point recently of never checking where I am in the 'table'. Having the points/power under my name I can really do without...Personally I would much prefer my reputation on the forum to be about what and how I post, not a competitive points system :(

jivecat
14th-September-2004, 06:21 PM
Several people have said that they'll never send negative rep. Presumably they anticipate being able to agree with everything that everyone says in the future.

Noooo! If I disagree with someone I can print a post saying so, and why. Politely. I thought that was the whole point?

I don't see the point in sending positive rep if you're never going to send negative rep. Maybe that's just me.
Trampy

Well, see what you mean, but I generally prefer being nice to people to not being nice to them. Sorry to be so creepycrawly and all that. Seems to make the day go smoother somehow! And it p***** me off when I receive neg rep even though I'm sure people have given it in the spirit of constructive criticism. :whistle: Do as you would be done by.

Sparkles
14th-September-2004, 06:28 PM
Not sure I like it, now seems like I have a big number - Im sure some people will bring me down to size now :)...
Or maybe just suck up to you lots so that you give them lost of nice positive rep... :hug:
by the way did I mention that I really love you're hat, it's very fetching :wink: :whistle: :rolleyes:

Sparkles
14th-September-2004, 06:33 PM
Like DianaS, I don't like this. It gives a bit too much emphasis to the internals of the rep system for my liking, and takes up a fair bit of space. Perhaps it would be better to put that information in the "User CP" or the "Members List"?

I agree with this.
It is good to have a better idea about the internal workings of the system (and thank you for explaining it all to us, Franck) but I think the little box you've given each of us would be better if it was on our personal profiles and not attached to every post.
Of course it's your forum :worthy: this is just a humble suggestion. :flower:

Minnie M
14th-September-2004, 06:50 PM
I apologise if this has already been asked :blush:

Just noticed that the rep points are now displayed together with a 'power' amount - is that the amount of rep points this forumate can attribute when giving a rep ?

Just had a look at other forumite's 'power' count and it looks as though my assumption was correct

How often does Franck give reps :rolleyes: at 20 at time, how about a bribe :whistle: - Has anyone had a rep from Franck ?

bigdjiver
14th-September-2004, 06:55 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but forum members cannot see what rep is attached to an individual post of another member. To other forumites rep is related to an individual. I have learned to try and praise and condemn behaviours, and use positive feedback. So I can feel very happy to give a positive rep to someone. In effect I am saying that you are a good person because you have done a good thing. When I see a behaviour that I think is wrong, I condemn that behaviour in a posting, where possible not identifying any specific person. To me a negative rep is saying that you are a bad person because you have done a bad thing, where it may well be a misunderstanding on my part or theirs, or a one off lapse, or a behaviour corrected by education.
A person can defend themselves if they feel that they have been identified in a post, and if I am wrong, and can learn from their reaction. There is no way I know of whereby a normal forumite can rescind a negative rep wrongly given.

Peter
14th-September-2004, 07:19 PM
Has anyone had a rep from Franck ?

Me ... and boy, is it worth having!

TheTramp
15th-September-2004, 12:43 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with everything said, except for the above bit:

positive rep (for me) is like nodding, and agreeing with what's being said; I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, but agree with the post.

Negative rep would be dissagreeing with the post - in which case, what's the point in just shakeing your head? I would post why I dissagree with a particular view rather than just negative repping.

To answer the few people who disagreed with what I said....

I leave negative rep when posts are spurious, ill thought out, overly sarcastic, boring, arrogant, annoying etc. Doesn't necessarily mean that I don't agree with what's being said in them. Just don't like the way that it's been said. If I think a post has been deliberately posted to provoke someone, I've also sent negative rep in the past. Of course there are also some posts that don't even deserve a response....

Trampy

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 03:20 AM
Thanks to you all especially Franck for explaining that. i now understand! :worthy:

Lou
15th-September-2004, 08:36 AM
Me ... and boy, is it worth having!

Unless, of course, the lovely Franck is disagreeing with you! :wink:

(Not that he would, though...... :grin: )

jivecat
15th-September-2004, 09:05 AM
I leave negative rep when posts are spurious, ill thought out, overly sarcastic, boring, arrogant, annoying etc. Doesn't necessarily mean that I don't agree with what's being said in them.

I leave positive reps when posts are well-argued, well-written, intelligent, funny, witty, entertaining, humane or empathetic. Doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what's said in them.

I don't think people should leave neg reps for bad spelling/grammar or a poorly constructed post, it seems too elitist. There are gentle ways of dealing with spurious posts. If they are sarcastic or arrogant I think that's a matter which could be taken up in public on the thread. "Annoying" is a highly subjective term- using neg reps every time I felt a bit annoyed would be the forum equivalent of road rage.

If I think a post has been deliberately posted to provoke someone, I've also sent negative rep in the past.

Sounds reasonable.

Of course there are also some posts that don't even deserve a response....

Trampy

Except there are lots of great posts that I don't respond to either.

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 11:25 AM
I leave positive reps when posts are well-argued, well-written, intelligent, funny, witty, entertaining, humane or empathetic. Doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what's said in them.

I don't think people should leave neg reps for bad spelling/grammar or a poorly constructed post, it seems too elitist. There are gentle ways of dealing with spurious posts. If they are sarcastic or arrogant I think that's a matter which could be taken up in public on the thread. "Annoying" is a highly subjective term- using neg reps every time I felt a bit annoyed would be the forum equivalent of road rage.

Sounds reasonable.

Except there are lots of great posts that I don't respond to either.

I dont like leaving bad rep. Even if i dont agree with the person. Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion! :nice:

Andy McGregor
15th-September-2004, 12:26 PM
I dont like leaving bad rep. Even if i dont agree with the person. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! :nice:

IMHO negative rep should be used for rudeness, name calling, bigotry, bad manners, threatening behavior, etc. I don't think you should give neg rep to people you disagree with: you should just post disagreeing with them and giving your reasons why - after all, that's what debate is all about :nice:

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 12:40 PM
IMHO negative rep should be used for rudeness, name calling, bigotry, bad manners, threatening behavior, etc. I don't think you should give neg rep to people you disagree with: you should just post disagreeing with them and giving your reasons why - after all, that's what debate is all about :nice:

I agree with you. I think there should be some sort of rule for giving bad rep because some people appear to be giving it for no reason or a silly one!

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 12:58 PM
I am really annoyed now. Apparently you can't have an oppinion on this forum without getting bad rep for it! I also find it very annoying that the person/people doing it dont leave a name. Sorry and i know this will get me bad rep but i just thought i'd let everyone know!

Gadget
15th-September-2004, 01:00 PM
I agree with you. I think there should be some sort of rule for giving bad rep because some people appear to be giving it for no reason or a silly one!
?!
Firstly, dictating rules about when and how you can speak is just wrong: The forum is moderated and the moderators can/will filter out any abusive or incitefull posts - anything you feel that strongly about, there is a button beside the post to "report to a moderator"; this allows you to add comments saying why it's a bad post. Being only allowed to give negative rep for stuff like that is pointless.

Secondly, "no reason" or a "silly reason" is purley subjective - you may see it as "silly", but the person distributing it obviously didn't.

People are takeing these "rep points" too seriously; they are only a personal insult if you choose to take it that way. Sometimes they are a "wake-up call" that forces you to look at exactly what you are posting and take a step back from it to see how/what exactly you are contributing to the forum.

{BTW - the name is visible to those who are paid up members - bold folks. Some people just assume that since they can see who sent rep, everyone can , and therefore don't sign it.}

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 01:06 PM
?!
Firstly, dictating rules about when and how you can speak is just wrong: The forum is moderated and the moderators can/will filter out any abusive or incitefull posts - anything you feel that strongly about, there is a button beside the post to "report to a moderator"; this allows you to add comments saying why it's a bad post. Being only allowed to give negative rep for stuff like that is pointless.

Secondly, "no reason" or a "silly reason" is purley subjective - you may see it as "silly", but the person distributing it obviously didn't.

People are takeing these "rep points" too seriously; they are only a personal insult if you choose to take it that way. Sometimes they are a "wake-up call" that forces you to look at exactly what you are posting and take a step back from it to see how/what exactly you are contributing to the forum.

You see i do agree with you that it is purely in someones oppinion and god gave us all different oppinions and the freedom to have our own oppinion. i feel that if someone wants to discuss why they feel your oppinnion offends or upset them then yes they shoud use the rep system. But only if they leave their name and a valid reason other wise they are doing it just to be annoying. I do agree that the rep points thing can be taken to seriously and its not the points that actually bother me it the fact that someone has a problem with my oppinion and dooes not want to discuss it rationally!
Sorry if that sounded harsh and very oppninonated. :hug:

Stuart M
15th-September-2004, 01:18 PM
How often does Franck give reps :rolleyes: at 20 at time, how about a bribe :whistle: - Has anyone had a rep from Franck ?
Yup - in fact, I've been Francked, Trampled, Scathed...the dressings should be off just in time for the BFG :grin:

Personally I've only ever neg repped frivolously. It should be fun and I think making all the details as public as possible, showing the numbers, helps with that.

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 01:23 PM
Yup - in fact, I've been Francked, Trampled, Scathed...the dressings should be off just in time for the BFG :grin:

Personally I've only ever neg repped frivolously. It should be fun and I think making all the details as public as possible, showing the numbers, helps with that.

well aren't you a lucky boy!

I agree with it being made as public as poss. I wont go off in another rant however. i have had my madness for today! Yeahy :clap:

Stuart M
15th-September-2004, 01:40 PM
Awww. I guess someone just read my last post here, and wept cos he felt left out :o

TheTramp
15th-September-2004, 02:40 PM

I didn't say that I ever left neg rep for bad spelling/grammar or poor construction. I'll leave it to Heather to do that!! :wink:

However, if you are leaving positive rep for all the reasons you are, then why not leave negative rep for all the opposites of those reasons. Surely that's the only way to get a balanced system, where rep actually means something. It's never meant to be a personal attack - even if it does seem that way to some people. It's a comment on what has been written. I've had some neg rep that has caused me to think about what I've written. I've had some spurious bad rep, just because, and I've ignored that. I've never considered it personal.

I don't see any problem with leaving neg rep. I'm not going to start hating people because they have sent me neg rep. I will think about how/what I'm posting if enough people start neg repping me (this isn't an invitation) in a reasonable way. I really don't care about my 'score'.

As I said before, rep doesn't actually mean anything, and eventually (the way it is currently used), everyone who posts will have the maximum possible score (if there is one).

Trampy

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 02:48 PM
I didn't say that I ever left neg rep for bad spelling/grammar or poor construction. I'll leave it to Heather to do that!! :wink:

However, if you are leaving positive rep for all the reasons you are, then why not leave negative rep for all the opposites of those reasons. Surely that's the only way to get a balanced system, where rep actually means something. It's never meant to be a personal attack - even if it does seem that way to some people. It's a comment on what has been written. I've had some neg rep that has caused me to think about what I've written. I've had some spurious bad rep, just because, and I've ignored that. I've never considered it personal.

I don't see any problem with leaving neg rep. I'm not going to start hating people because they have sent me neg rep. I will think about how/what I'm posting if enough people start neg repping me (this isn't an invitation) in a reasonable way. I really don't care about my 'score'.

As I said before, rep doesn't actually mean anything, and eventually, everyone who posts will have the maximum possible score (if there is one).

Trampy

I agree with you as you do make a valid point. I just think that neg rep-ping for no reason or giving no reason is confussing. As i said

I do agree that the rep points thing can be taken to seriously and its not the points that actually bother me it the fact that someone has a problem with my oppinion and dooes not want to discuss it rationally

I think if you re giving neg rep you should have a valid reason! one which you are willing to discuss! I see you feel the same.. it does make you think about what you have written, however that could be your oppinion and you should not feel bad about having your own oppinion! If there is no reason how are you to know!

I feel i have repeated myself enough and i shall leave it there! :blush:

bigdjiver
15th-September-2004, 04:11 PM
... It's never meant to be a personal attack - even if it does seem that way to some people. It's a comment on what has been written. ... In the eyes of the forum Rep is attached to a person, not to a particular message. A PM or post can be used to comment on a posting.

bigdjiver
15th-September-2004, 09:44 PM
Sorry. Didn't realise that you spoke for the entire forum (least, that's how I'm reading your post). A lot of people think that rep is about the posts, not the person. As I read this thread Stuart M has 171 rep points, Tramp has 331 rep points, and Drathzel has 84 rep points. As a member of the forum I can see how much rep is related to a person.

If rep, in the eyes of the forum, is related to a message, please tell me how I can find out how much rep each of their messages generated?

I was not speaking for the forum, I was saying what my perception of the facts are. I have already asked in a previous posting if anyone knows differently. I do not assume that I know it all, whichever way you may choose to read my posts.

As I also said before, if you chose to make your comments in a PM or posting, instead of in a negative rep, then I would have had a chance to defend my position.

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 09:30 AM
Since rep is given for posts I would like to see the scales with a bar of gold on one side and a pile of something else on the other. Rep would be given either by clicking on the appropriate side of the scales, or by a pair of option buttons. The scales would be tilted in the appropriate direction according to the balance of reps received for that posting.

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 09:33 AM
Power is being abused by the more powerful giving tit-for-tat neg reps to the less powerful. I would like to see everybody have the same power.

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 09:37 AM
It is possible to give a rep, and then to soon reconsider, in which case one possible remedy would be to give a rep to that person in the opposite direction. I have not tried it, but I suspect that this would fall foul of the "spread it around first" ruling. If so, an enhancement might be to permit this forn of "undo".

Gadget
16th-September-2004, 09:47 AM
Since rep is given for posts I would like to see the scales with a bar of gold on one side and a pile of something else on the other. Rep would be given either by clicking on the appropriate side of the scales, or by a pair of option buttons. The scales would be tilted in the appropriate direction according to the balance of reps received for that posting.
Complicated, and confusing; the person has a rep ammount and a rep power and each post has a positive rep and negative rep... too many numbers and icons IMHO.

No "undo"'s: you should think before giving rep. Having the ability to go back and say "oops, I didn't realise you meant that" is wrong - the poster should have worded it better, and you can positive rep the reply if you get a clearer picture.

The "power" of repping cannot be 'abused' - it is a feature for forumites to use as and how they want; any "rules" are social, un-written rules of ettiquete and conduct. Breaching your interpriation of these rules is not an 'abuse of power', but a show on the that individual's personality and their attitude. {IMHO}

drathzel
16th-September-2004, 10:23 AM
No "undo"'s: you should think before giving rep. Having the ability to go back and say "oops, I didn't realise you meant that" is wrong - the poster should have worded it better, and you can positive rep the reply if you get a clearer picture.

I agree with you on this one gadget! :eek: I dont think there should an undo button. You should think about why your reping and how. And then if you make a mistak you must rectify it by apologising or something. I mean theres no undo button in life is there. So why should this be any different!

MartinHarper
16th-September-2004, 11:35 AM
Power is being abused by the more powerful giving tit-for-tat neg reps to the less powerful. I would like to see everybody have the same power.

Heh, seen that happen. As Gadget says, a reflection on the individual(s) concerned... :)

Giving everyone the same power doesn't work very well, as people can create lots of "forum plants" to give themselves lots of rep. You pretty much have to weight these things at least a little towards folks who've been around for longer, made more posts, etc.

drathzel
16th-September-2004, 11:50 AM
Heh, seen that happen. As Gadget says, a reflection on the individual(s) concerned... :)

Giving everyone the same power doesn't work very well, as people can create lots of "forum plants" to give themselves lots of rep. You pretty much have to weight these things at least a little towards folks who've been around for longer, made more posts, etc.

I think that it is good for the people who have been around longer/made more posts to have higher power as they have more input into the forum and it wouldn't be fair for a person who has only joined to go around giving bad rep and taking away everyones hard earned points :hug:

Sheepman
16th-September-2004, 01:08 PM
No "undo"'s: you should think before giving rep. Having the ability to go back and say "oops, I didn't realise you meant that" is wrong - the poster should have worded it better, and you can positive rep the reply if you get a clearer picture.Yes, but there are cases of a genuine mistake (stupidity :whistle: ). On one occasion I intended to neg rep somebody, (this was after leaving it a couple of days before deciding that I should). I filled in the reason, added my name, then clicked the button. Too late I realised I hadn't changed the checkbox from the default "approve" to what I intended - "disapprove".
So I'm not asking for an undo, just that there shouldn't be a default option.

Some days later (after "spreading it around") I did a neg rep to balance things out, intending to do another one later to achieve what I originally intended. Now we know that a neg rep only has half the power of a positive one, so I realise that the net result of my action has still been a positive rep. We are talking weeks later, can I be bothered to go and do that neg rep again, then spread some more around, before I can then do the third neg rep and achieve my original intention?

So for idiots like me :blush: can we have no default option when it comes to repping?

Greg

drathzel
16th-September-2004, 02:07 PM
So for idiots like me :blush: can we have no default option when it comes to repping?

Greg

Thats probably a better option than an undo button!

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 03:30 PM
It is possible to give a rep, and then to soon reconsider, in which case one possible remedy would be to give a rep to that person in the opposite direction. I have not tried it, but I suspect that this would fall foul of the "spread it around first" ruling. If so, an enhancement might be to permit this forn of "undo". No request for an undo button here.

As I said above if you can give a positive rep by mistake, as Gadget admits he has done, I do not know if you can then try to immediately correct your error by immediately giving a negative one. I suspect that you cannot. I was suggesting that you might be allowed to.

Thanks Gadget for the info on -ve rep being at half rate of +ve rep.

Life is full of "undo" buttons, we just have to be more careful when they do not exist.

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 03:47 PM
Complicated, and confusing; the person has a rep ammount and a rep power and each post has a positive rep and negative rep... too many numbers and icons IMHO. I do not uderstand what you mean by "each post has a positive rep and negative rep". If you are saying that is how it is, how do I see that information?

I am suggesting that we have a bigger picture of the scales. Click on the Gold, (+ side) or on the - side. The scales are either balanced, or tilted to the + or - side, depending of the cumulative rep for that post.

I am suggesting all have equal power - Democratic, and one less stat.

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 04:02 PM
... Giving everyone the same power doesn't work very well, as people can create lots of "forum plants" to give themselves lots of rep. You pretty much have to weight these things at least a little towards folks who've been around for longer, made more posts, etc. :confused: precisely the reason for equal power. Your "etc" includes the power obtained by receiving positive rep.

As I understand it. if I create say 7 alter egos. I can use them to bump each of their powers up as high as I am bothered to. I could then use these alter egos to drop anybody's rep down to zilch. I think that would be an abuse of power, but that is just my opinion.

Why more rep for more posts? FOR I = 1 TO 10,000: :yeah: NEXT ?

Gadget
16th-September-2004, 04:51 PM
As I said above if you can give a positive rep by mistake, as Gadget admits he has done, I do not know if you can then try to immediately correct your error by immediately giving a negative one. I suspect that you cannot. I was suggesting that you might be allowed to.
Nope - not me guv; Never given any rep by mistake - I think that it was Sheepy. Being allowed to? no - I don't think it would be a good idea. If I had given rep in the wrong direction, I would have appealed to the mighty gods of the forum {:worthy:} to reverse my actions.

Thanks Gadget for the info on -ve rep being at half rate of +ve rep.
And I think that this was Franck... I don't know whether to be worried or flattered that all the informative posts get credited to me?

I do not uderstand what you mean by "each post has a positive rep and negative rep". If you are saying that is how it is, how do I see that information?
I'm sure that it has a value - if you click on the scales next to one of your own posts it says something like "Your reputation on this post is even", or displays the reputation comments. So the information is there. However to get it out again so everyone can see it would probably require a bit of work and (imho) be pointless. (either "pointless" or would encourage thoughts of that got a positive rep!? need to fix that...)

I am suggesting that we have a bigger picture of the scales. Click on the Gold, (+ side) or on the - side. The scales are either balanced, or tilted to the + or - side, depending of the cumulative rep for that post.
Again, it's linked to the last reply - and having two buttons instead of one would not fix the problem of giving the wrong rep: people would click on the wrong button.

I am suggesting all have equal power - Democratic, and one less stat.
so people don't have reps, but posts do? Yes?
Perhaps you would be interested in using the "Rate Thread" stars at the top of every page worth of posts - not used very much just now, and hard to judge since threads wander so much.

As I understand it. if I create say 7 alter egos. I can use them to bump each of their powers up as high as I am bothered to. I could then use these alter egos to drop anybody's rep down to zilch. I think that would be an abuse of power, but that is just my opinion.
It would - but each ego would have to post 10 posts before they could rep each other, and anyone noticing someone going up and up would report them to the moderator and the accounts would be removed. (I also think that you would need seperate e-mail addresses to pull it off, but may be wrong)
Anyone desperate enough to crave rep to such an extent to create an alter-ego is in need of professional help. (The little blue doctor is currently in/out)

Why more rep for more posts?
more posts = larger contribution to the community = more recognised within the community = more influence within the community = more rep.

bigdjiver
16th-September-2004, 06:54 PM
Yup, I wrongly identified the post, it was Sheepman, not Gadget. (My alter-egos would never have made that mistake. :) Thanks for info.

Minnie M
24th-September-2004, 08:19 AM
The've gone again :tears: :tears:

drathzel
24th-September-2004, 09:25 AM

what/who has?

Bardsey
24th-September-2004, 11:10 AM

And now they are back :rofl:

Minnie M
24th-September-2004, 12:02 PM
And now they are back :rofl:

I think Franck is trying to keep us on our toes :whistle:

Curtain
24th-September-2004, 12:05 PM
I don't get what the power thingy means, can someone explain?

White Knuckle Ride
24th-September-2004, 12:06 PM
Hey!

S. x

err..? What's a rep comment then? : :tears:

Minnie M
24th-September-2004, 01:35 PM

A rep award to the power of ........ eg: If I gave you a rep award your rep point will go up by 8 (which what I have just done) :flower:

err..? What's a rep comment then

When you pay your 'dues' you get to see the comments that go with the rep points AND who sent them :clap:

White Knuckle Ride
24th-September-2004, 04:50 PM
When you pay your 'dues'

Some sort of rep racket scam then? I think I understand now. How much for regular rep increases then? Can I pay by standing order? :D

Minnie M
24th-September-2004, 05:41 PM

Hmmmm...... I think this was a cheap trick to get extra points :rolleyes:

Sparkles
4th-October-2004, 04:48 PM
Just to continue in the same vein as before - we're now up to 5 rep comments each everybody! :clap:

drathzel
4th-October-2004, 07:20 PM
Just to continue in the same vein as before - we're now up to 5 rep comments each everybody! :clap:

Yeahy franck!! Thank you :worthy: :hug: :kiss:

Sheepman
9th-March-2005, 03:30 PM
Not strictly on thread here, but I'm sure it's not worth starting a new one for this.

I've recently been trying to give away rep, but all that happens is I get a warning tone, a bit like the PC is going to be sick, a flicker on the screen, and nothing. No rep box appears, no other apparent problems.

It could be that I've recently installed isoftware that has affected things, I think the most likely is the "Yahoo" toolbar (installed purely because it has a spyware scanner.)

So before I bother doing a roll back, has anyone else had problems repping lately?

Greg

Franck
9th-March-2005, 03:54 PM
I've recently been trying to give away rep, but all that happens is I get a warning tone, a bit like the PC is going to be sick, a flicker on the screen, and nothing. No rep box appears, no other apparent problems.It sounds like Yahoo toolbar is blocking pop up windows.
If you have the option to unable pop-ups, that might solve it, otherwise, I'm puzzled!

TheTramp
9th-March-2005, 04:03 PM
It sounds like Yahoo toolbar is blocking pop up windows.
If you have the option to unable pop-ups, that might solve it, otherwise, I'm puzzled!

Try holding down the shift key, or Ctrl key as you press the rep button. That usually disables pop-up blockers briefly to allow you to open a window that you want to open...

Of course, if it works..... :wink:

Sheepman
9th-March-2005, 04:30 PM
It sounds like Yahoo toolbar is blocking pop up windows.
If you have the option to unable pop-ups, that might solve it, No need to be puzzled, you are dead right first time! It's working fine now. :cheers:

Try holding down the shift key, or Ctrl key as you press the rep button. That usually disables pop-up blockers briefly to allow you to open a window that you want to open...

Of course, if it works..... :wink:Yes, that works too... :cheers:

Greg