PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Dancing for these hot days

Minnie M
8th-August-2004, 12:52 PM
When the weather (as it is a the moment) is very hot with little wind - dancing becomes almost unbearable (I did say almost) - any tips on keeping cool please :cool: and looking good :waycool:

Dance Demon
8th-August-2004, 01:19 PM
You could always become a hotshot Minnie....and refuse dances from all but the BEST dancers.......then just stand around and LOOK cool........oh and remember to wear your black & whites, or no one will believe you are a hotshot..... :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

bigdjiver
8th-August-2004, 01:47 PM
http://www.perfessorbill.com/lyrics/lytns.htm

Lynn
8th-August-2004, 02:10 PM
Its never as warm here in NI, but its still been pretty warm the past week or so. LL is coming over here to run a workshop next Sat and I was organising the venue - and decided against one with big south facing windows that didn't open - glad I did now! The one I have booked has air conditioning and we might even need it!

philsmove
8th-August-2004, 02:24 PM
There are a few moves that might help

The windmill is the obvious one

But my favourite move on a hot day is sit out in the garden and practice the corkscrew
:rofl:

Emma
8th-August-2004, 02:34 PM
But my favourite move on a hot day is sit out in the garden and practice the corkscrew
My sentiments exactly! :clap: :clap:

Andy McGregor
8th-August-2004, 03:44 PM
My sentiments exactly! :clap: :clap:
:yeah:

Lou
8th-August-2004, 07:06 PM
:yeah: Yup. :waycool:

My serious answer for Minnie? Dance the man's part - it's a lot less effort when it's hot. :wink:

Andy McGregor
8th-August-2004, 07:22 PM
:yeah: Yup. :waycool:

My serious answer for Minnie? Dance the man's part - it's a lot less effort when it's hot. :wink:

I dance both parts too and find that the effort you put in depends on your partner - to lead some women is as easy as waving a fan whereas with others it's like stirring setting concrete :sick:

If I could lead those lovely women who require a light touch I'd never need a break to cool down :clap:

DianaS
9th-August-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi I tend to wear a dress when its hot.

I've got a favourite which is black silk, so it always looks and feels cool, and dampness (theirs or ours) isn't absorbed but evaporates straight off. I have been warned that silk shirts stain under the arms but this one is a halterneck and veteran of many a hot night without a mark.

The skirt is below the knee so I have air circulating up to my waist, the top is cut under my arms in a halter neck so my back is cool. I use body tape (from a haberdasherys) to stick the back of the dress to my skin so even if I'm swooped alll the way into a seducer the material doesn't move an inch and the dress stays in place. Wonderful stuff it is!

The only part where there is material next to my skin is the front of the dress so most of my body has air circulating, so I can stand in front of a fan and cool down.

I found mini skirts were lovely and cool but my legs were really exposed to touch and I wasn't always very comfortable with this. :blush:

I must admit though, that I'm avoiding fast numbers, talking more and dancing less and asking people to wait for a slower before I hit the floor!

Minnie M
9th-August-2004, 11:52 AM
thanks guys - some good tips there

wots the music to Tain't No Sin (To Dance Around in Your Bones) Big Jiver ? great words :clap:

Leading instead of following hmmmmm.. :wink: but not as much fun

Not so sure of the 'little black dress' - need to loose a few stone and even more years for that one :blush: especially with the short skirts :sick: I would NEVER get any dances showing my legs :whistle:

my favourite must be :-

.....on a hot day is sit out in the garden and practice the corkscrew

Gus
9th-August-2004, 11:54 AM
The question ... is it EVER acceptable for a man to wear shorts? :(

Tiggerbabe
9th-August-2004, 11:57 AM
Leading instead of following hmmmmm.. :wink: but not as much fun

Oh, it can be Minnie :wink: :wink: especially since Adam taught me how to do that seducer :whistle:

Rachel
9th-August-2004, 12:11 PM
When the weather (as it is a the moment) is very hot with little wind - dancing becomes almost unbearable (I did say almost) - any tips on keeping cool please :cool: and looking good :waycool: My grandmother always said that the best way to cool down is to dip your elbows into a sink of cold water. Well, I'm not sure if it really works or not, though I do try it from time to time - what can you lose?

Oh, and those mini camping towels you can get from Millets (and probably elsewhere) are absolutely amazing - just like blotting paper ...

I've also got an incredible coolmax skirt which never ever seems to get hot/ wet.

All the same, I still manage to sweat buckets!

Oh, Diana - I've just discovered that body tape stuff. Isn't it the best invention ever?? The only thing is, I didn't really know what it was called or where to get it - so I started trawling around the internet. I realised that, in some instances, it's called 'tit tape' ... You can imagine what kind of pages came up on my work pc screen after that search!

Rachel

DianaS
9th-August-2004, 12:26 PM
work[/I] pc screen after that search!

Rachel
Hi Rachel
Its lovely to hear from you, you were at BB for such a short time Next year do come for longer!
Just thought that before people raid the shops for tit tape I should explain the differnence between that and body tape! They both are essentials for dancers!
Tip tape is different to body tape. You use if if you can't get a bra that will strap you up. One side is adhesive to your skin the other side non-adhesive. It works quite well but no better than micropore tape, so I use that if I'm caught short!

Body tape was previously known as toupe tape as gentlemen use it to fix their toupes to their heads. It's double sided sticky tape and is brilliant, one side fixes to material the other to skin and nothing shifts, even if you are melting! I also use it for the front of tops that otherswise would gape when I'm put into leans or drops, there's nothing worse then every thing falling out! :rofl:

To get body tape you can try a few hairdressers that do gentlemen or ladies wigs (asking for toupe tape) or try a place like Beatties where you would ask for body tape.
One night I was in a hurry and caught short of body tape so used double sided carpet tape instead!
It worked, and didn't take my skin off or leave a rash! :clap:

It would be lovely to see you again soon, When are you next at MK? :flower:
Love Diana

Gordon J Pownall
9th-August-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi I tend to wear a dress when its hot.

...so does Andy McG...... :wink: :wink: :wink: :whistle:

DianaS
9th-August-2004, 12:34 PM
Sorry folks
I hit return twice!

DianaS
9th-August-2004, 12:35 PM
...so does Andy McG...... :wink: :wink: :wink: :whistle:
...I wouldn't mind but he makes us look dowdy
:sad: :tears:

Andy McGregor
9th-August-2004, 12:36 PM

On the golf course, squash court, tennis court, in the sea, etc. NOT dancing!

bigdjiver
9th-August-2004, 12:44 PM
thanks guys - some good tips there

wots the music to Tain't No Sin (To Dance Around in Your Bones) Big Jiver ? great words :clap: ... Ottilie Patterson with the Chris Barber band is a super version.. My pre-Ceroc jiving was done to music like this. LAKE LACD30 is one compilation with it on. Some superb blues numbers on there too.

TheTramp
9th-August-2004, 12:48 PM
there's nothing worse then every thing falling out! :rofl:
Says who??

Trampy

bigdjiver
9th-August-2004, 12:55 PM
My grandmother always said that the best way to cool down is to dip your elbows into a sink of cold water. Well, I'm not sure if it really works or not, though I do try it from time to time - what can you lose? ... What definitely does work is to hold your wrists under the cold tap for a few minutes.

Rachel
9th-August-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi Rachel
Its lovely to hear from you, you were at BB for such a short time Next year do come for longer!
Just thought that before people raid the shops for tit tape I should explain the differnence between that and body tape! They both are essentials for dancers!
Tip tape is different to body tape. You use if if you can't get a bra that will strap you up. One side is adhesive to your skin the other side non-adhesive. It works quite well but no better than micropore tape, so I use that if I'm caught short!

Body tape was previously known as toupe tape as gentlemen use it to fix their toupes to their heads. It's double sided sticky tape and is brilliant, one side fixes to material the other to skin and nothing shifts, even if you are melting! I also use it for the front of tops that otherswise would gape when I'm put into leans or drops, there's nothing worse then every thing falling out! :rofl:

To get body tape you can try a few hairdressers that do gentlemen or ladies wigs (asking for toupe tape) or try a place like Beatties where you would ask for body tape.
One night I was in a hurry and caught short of body tape so used double sided carpet tape instead!

It would be lovely to see you again soon, When are you next at MK? :flower:
Love Diana

Ooooh, I see - hadn't realised there was a difference!! :blush: What a fount of wisdom you are!! I eventually got some from www.feelconfident.co.uk - cost £4.99 for about 36 pre-cut strips, which seemed quite a lot, but it looked to be the cheapest of all the sites, as it was free P&P.

Carpet tape????!!!!

Yes - BB waaay too short - have definite plans to do the full week next year, if at all possible.

We're at MK next on Wednesday - as every week - and Nottingham again tonight.

See you again soon,
Rachel

MartinHarper
9th-August-2004, 01:31 PM
is it EVER acceptable for a man to wear shorts?

Yes.

However, when I do this now I try to make sure I warm down some - on one Sunday in June the temperature had dropped quite rapidly after the class, and I got leg cramp for the next couple of days - not pleasant.

Rachel
9th-August-2004, 01:36 PM
The question ... is it EVER acceptable for a man to wear shorts? :( At dancing? No!!
(IMHO)
Rachel

Gordon J Pownall
9th-August-2004, 01:53 PM

What about three quarter length type 'shorts - you know, short longs / long shorts...???

Surely these are OK aren't they...??? :whistle:

OK - except if you're wearing black and whites with them........ :drool: :drool: :drool:

Rachel
9th-August-2004, 01:56 PM
What definitely does work is to hold your wrists under the cold tap for a few minutes. Ah, thank you - now I remember - I'd got it wrong! My grandmother didn't say 'dip your elbows' ... she actually said, put your forearms in a sink of cold water, but it must be enough to cover the elbows.
R.

Rachel
9th-August-2004, 01:58 PM
What about three quarter length type 'shorts - you know, short longs / long shorts...???

OK - except if you're wearing black and whites with them........ :drool: :drool: :drool: Ok, they're acceptable!
R.

DianaS
9th-August-2004, 06:19 PM
Says who??

Trampy
Okay Trampy, I'll dance with you without tape, if you'll dance with me your best and favouritist number...
but you're my only exception!
Deal? :yeah:
D

TheTramp
9th-August-2004, 06:28 PM
Okay Trampy, I'll dance with you without tape, if you'll dance with me your best and favouritist number...
but you're my only exception!
Deal? :yeah:
How could a man refuse??

And if you need a hand getting it off.... :devil: :flower:

Trampy

PS. Note to self, before posting this, consider carefully (around people like Andy, CJ, Bardsey and Chicklet) the consequences. And then just post it anyhow... :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
9th-August-2004, 06:29 PM

On my boat these are called 'Smees'. Named after Captain Hook's assistant, Smee, who always wears them.

The might be OK but, WHY? :confused:

There's a whole sock/no sock question which some guys can't answer and they make you legs look short.

If you're going to wear Smees, why not wear trousers?

TheTramp
9th-August-2004, 06:32 PM
The might be OK but, WHY? :confused:

There's a whole sock/no sock question which some guys can't answer and they make you legs look short.

:yeah:

Trampy

MartinHarper
9th-August-2004, 06:48 PM
There's a whole sock/no sock question which some guys can't answer

So what's the answer?

Crop trousers are more comfortable when dancing on hot days. That's my tip.

DianaS
9th-August-2004, 09:42 PM
And if you need a hand getting it off.... :devil: :flower:

Trampy

:
Swooon! :waycool: :wink:

Yliander
10th-August-2004, 10:31 AM

yes - along as your socks are clean

used to think that nothing other than long pants was acceptable - however here in Perth (Australia) - summer temps are often mid 30 celsius so consessions had to be made to save the poor boys from heat stroke

having long hair I find that tying it can really help to keep cool - or a cool cloth to the back of your neck

skirts of any length are also great - as you spin lots of lovely cool air!!

Sparkles
10th-August-2004, 10:35 AM
Swooon! :waycool: :wink:

Oi! :angry:
You and me's gonna have to go outside soon - you're muscling in on my turf here... :mad: :wink:

Looks like everyone's defecting to Dianas :tears:

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to find a new way to get them interested - any ideas anyone...?

Maybe my tip for the hot weather should be to wear as little as possible? :whistle: :rolleyes:

Sheepman
10th-August-2004, 11:46 AM
consessions had to be made to save the poor boys from heat stroke

having long hair I find that tying it
That jump between men's shorts and tying long hair back was too fast for me. I had visions of very hairy legs that had to be tied in platts or something :sick: :wink: :blush:

After many years of persuasion, I eventually dropped the shorts, as kilts are not the done thing in these parts, the next best thing is very lightweight trousers, hence my very fine cotton batik walking trousers, or "pyjamas" as some like to think of them.

And a tip for the guys if you have to have a break, make sure you go and chat with a lady who is equipped with a large fan, you'll have a hot and bothered expression, and she will usually oblige :wink:

Greg

Sheepman
10th-August-2004, 11:53 AM
Maybe my tip for the hot weather should be to wear as little as possible? :whistle: :rolleyes: :really: And can you explain how that is supposed to keep ME cool? :whistle:

Greg

TheTramp
10th-August-2004, 12:01 PM
the next best thing is very lightweight trousers, hence my very fine cotton batik walking trousers, or "pyjamas" as some like to think of them.
I use martial arts trousers. Which are light cotton, and baggy enough. And the best thing is, they cost about £10....!

Trampy

Sparkles
10th-August-2004, 12:06 PM
:really: And can you explain how that is supposed to keep ME cool? :whistle:

Greg

:wink:

I tried to rep you for this, but apparently I have to spread it around a bit first :( Sorry. Have a flower anyway :flower:
S. x

Gordon J Pownall
10th-August-2004, 02:48 PM
yes - along as your socks are clean
Of course......and anyway, usually wear those little white trainer socks.....

used to think that nothing other than long pants was acceptable - however here in Perth (Australia) - summer temps are often mid 30 celsius so consessions had to be made to save the poor boys from heat stroke
Australia - hot - pah...!!! :wink: Here in sunny England (and Scotland as well apparently - apologies to all other Countries that make up this Great Britain of ours...although not sure about Wales - doesn't it always rain there...???) - anyway I digress - Here in the UK it's hit nearly 30 degrees C..... :eek: ...Yeah....and we don't ask for concessions... very much..... :whistle:

having long hair I find that tying it can really help to keep cool - or a cool cloth to the back of your neck
Errr...Ok, I'll give it a go but I might have to ask Trampy for some advice on how to do that..... :whistle:

skirts of any length are also great - as you spin lots of lovely cool air!!
Ah...now this one's easy - I'll just pop down south and see if Andy McG will lend me something from his wardrobe - something with floral print I think, or linen...... :whistle: :wink:

Thank you so mcuh for your advice - it will be put to good use in our arrid and somewhat sweaty parts........ :sick: :hug: :hug:

Sheepman
10th-August-2004, 05:00 PM
I'll just pop down south and see if Andy McG will In my experience with Andy, it doesn't pay to go too far down south :really:

Greg

mick
11th-August-2004, 03:03 PM
This is meant to be serious, non baiting! Saw a bloke in a kilt at Middlebrough Ceroc last night. My first thoughts were uncharitable (well I am a geordie, and they say a Scot is a geordie with his head kicked in; or maybe it is the other way round.
Then I started to see the advantage (I was at a 'beach' freestyle on Saturday, wore long shorts which I never thought I would ever do, a vest and trekker sandals; stayed really cool all night) and even got a bit jealous, except he wasn't as good looking as me.

Sal
11th-August-2004, 03:46 PM
Kilts do have the advantage of a certain draft whilst spinning, but are at all cool to wear. They are made from wool, approximately one flock worth. Why do you think we have so many sheep in scotland (don't answer that!)

As the most southern outpost of the artic circle, our national dress is definately not heatwave wear!

Trish
11th-August-2004, 05:06 PM

Yes, I too must confess to using carpet tape with a dress I have which tends to be a bit inclided to slide down and show my bra - it really does work!

I think these girls who can wear backless halterneck dresses are sooo lucky! They look dead elegant, unfortunately I don't think I could find one that would hold my ample bosom in even if I used a whole roll of tape, toupe, tit, carpet or sello!!!

Gadget
11th-August-2004, 05:16 PM
Kilts do have the advantage of a certain draft whilst spinning, but are at all cool to wear.
:what::confused: Who told you that? A proper kilt is heavy, wooly and very warm. (well, mine is)

My nether regions are definetly cooler {temerature} wearing dress trousers. Perhaps I need to spin more ? :innocent:

Sheepman
11th-August-2004, 05:47 PM
A proper kilt is heavy, wooly and very warm. True enough, the only time I've worn a kilt for dancing, my midriff was especially hot, with all those woolly layers, but I intentionally did lots of spinning, and found this helped keep other regions pleasantly ventilated! (It was February though, and no risk of sunburn.)

Greg

DianaS
11th-August-2004, 06:29 PM
I intentionally did lots of spinning, and found this helped keep other regions pleasantly ventilated! (It was February though, and no risk of sunburn.)

Greg
mental note must go to the BFG :whistle: :whistle:

mick
12th-August-2004, 10:43 AM
:what::confused: Who told you that? A proper kilt is heavy, wooly and very warm. (well, mine is)

:innocent:

The guy I saw (but I didn't look too closely :really: ), his kilt didn't seem heavy material, and I must admit that he looked cool, literally and metaphorically, with tattoos, somewhat in the Robert Carlyle, on a bad day, style.

Lory
12th-August-2004, 10:50 AM
The guy I saw (but I didn't look too closely :really: ), his kilt didn't seem heavy material, and I must admit that he looked cool, literally and metaphorically, with tattoos, somewhat in the Robert Carlyle, on a bad day, style.
Oooh I can't wait for the BFG! :whistle: :D

Tiggerbabe
12th-August-2004, 11:57 AM
Nowadays, you can get kilts made from many different materials - denim for example, oh and leather :drool: :drool: that's it I'm stopping now :whistle:

Still, nothing better than a man in a proper, tartan, wool kilt (especially if he also has a tux in his suitcase :clap: :clap: )

Gadget
12th-August-2004, 12:03 PM
Most (cheap) modern kilts are light-weight cotton - designed for fasion rather than anything else. The real thing is about six yards of woolen blanket (72"/180cm tall), pleated down to one yard {anyone interested can look here (http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/plaid.html)}. The "traditional" kilt is still about the same length of material and weighs about the same as an old leather biker's jacket. And is five times the price of a light-weight kilt.

Anyone like the rugbyshirt, kilt & hiking boots look? I don't: and give me a Jackobean, lace-up shirt over a pleated shirt & bowtie any day of the week.

Tiggerbabe
12th-August-2004, 01:19 PM
Give me Jaccobean, lace-up shirt over a pleated shirt & bowtie any day of the week.
Aboslutely :drool: wonder if there'd be any chance of getting 7 guys in a cabaret all wearing kilts and lace-up shirts? :wink: :D

DianaS
18th-August-2004, 02:40 PM
Oh, and those mini camping towels you can get from Millets (and probably elsewhere) are absolutely amazing - just like blotting paper ...

Rachel
Rachel,
Thanks for the tip! I mentioned it to my sister and she picked one up for me when she was shopping! It's a travel towel and comes in the size of a small drinks can and is super absorbent. I'll be trying it out tonight.. are you at Notts? I'll try not to get lost this time.

I've also been using travel packs of deoderant wipes 'cas I feel when I've towelled off I may still be a little on the high side so I give myself a good going over!

I was dancing the lead again last night, and did notice that the womans scent is as pervasive as the man's. :blush:

Hows the body tape going?!
D

Astro
23rd-May-2007, 01:03 PM
It's really hot today, so i was looking for some tips to keep cool.

My tip would be to stay hydrated. If you feel thirsty, it's too late, you are already dehydrated.

Another thing is that carbonated water and carbonated drinks like coke, will actually dehydrated you. You'd be better off drinking nothing! Hard to believe!

dave the scaffolder
23rd-May-2007, 01:12 PM
Men if you are a bit overweight, theres a few of us, wear shorts and a vest with socks up to the knees.

Women love this sexy look.
XXX XXX DTS

the whale
23rd-May-2007, 01:18 PM
Men if you are a bit overweight, theres a few of us, wear shorts and a vest with socks up to the knees.

Women love this sexy look.
XXX XXX DTS

You truely are a sex god, aren't you :eek:

dave the scaffolder
23rd-May-2007, 01:38 PM
You truely are a sex god, aren't you :eek:
To complete the sex God look insure a sweaty hairy chest and sweaty armpit hair is on show as well.
LOVELY.

XXX XXX DTS:awe:

the whale
23rd-May-2007, 01:43 PM
To complete the sex God look insure a sweaty hairy chest and sweaty armpit hair is on show as well.
LOVELY.

XXX XXX DTS:awe:

And... it has to be a string vest :really:

Astro
23rd-May-2007, 01:54 PM
What's your kilt made out of Whaley? Do you dance au naturel to keep cool?

Lou
23rd-May-2007, 01:58 PM
Another thing is that carbonated water and carbonated drinks like coke, will actually dehydrated you. You'd be better off drinking nothing! Hard to believe!
Really? According to this study (http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/5/591?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=Ann+Grandjean&fulltext=caffeine&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT), it makes no difference.

No wonder it's hard to believe! :rolleyes:

David Franklin
23rd-May-2007, 02:15 PM
Really? According to this study (http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/5/591?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&author1=Ann+Grandjean&fulltext=caffeine&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT), it makes no difference.

No wonder it's hard to believe! :rolleyes:Only problem is, Astro was talking about carbonated drinks not caffeinated ones.

Not that I think it actually helps her cause - I've never even heard about carbonated drinks having a dehydration effect. (In general people will drink less of a carbonated drink than a still one, but that's not really the same thing).

ducasi
23rd-May-2007, 02:19 PM
Only problem is, Astro was talking about carbonated drinks not caffeinated ones.

Not that I think it actually helps her cause - I've never even heard about carbonated drinks having a dehydration effect. (In general people will drink less of a carbonated drink than a still one, but that's not really the same thing).
But the study included carbonated drinks as well as caffeinated ones.

See also this review (http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/283/5/R993).

David Franklin
23rd-May-2007, 02:33 PM
But the study included carbonated drinks as well as caffeinated ones.Fair enough; every summary I saw only discussed the caffiene side of things.

Lou
23rd-May-2007, 02:43 PM
Fair enough; every summary I saw only discussed the caffiene side of things.

:) Ah... What Duncan said.

I posted that particular link having read more detailed stuff elsewhere, thinking it was a fair summary, but not noticing it was just caffeine ones.

It just struck me as really absurd that drinking any sort of beverage could make someone more dehydrated than not drinking anything at all. So I just googled for evidence.

However, if she'd said something about carbonated drinks leading to weight gain - that's an interesting one..

David Franklin
23rd-May-2007, 02:46 PM
However, if she'd said something about carbonated drinks leading to weight gain - that's an interesting one..Again, so much of the discussion I've seen there has tended to involve carbonated drinks containing sugar that it really skews the argument. (Given there's a lot of evidence that sugary drinks are just about as bad as it gets when it comes to empty calories).

Edit: Seems I can't even make amends by repping you or Ducasi...

Astro
23rd-May-2007, 03:44 PM
I googled "carbonated drinks dehydration"

Got www.med.umich.edu/l.libs/sma/sma_fluids_sma.htm (http://www.med.umich.edu/l.libs/sma/sma_fluids_sma.htm)

not working.
www.med.umich.edu/l.libs/sma_fluids_sma.htm (http://www.med.umich.edu/l.libs/sma_fluids_sma.htm)

I can't do links sorry.

Anyway google should get you it. Go to Sports Medicine Advisor 2005.:4: Fluids and Hydration.

It warns to avoid carbonated drinks which cause gastrointestional distress and may decrease fluid volume.

David Franklin
23rd-May-2007, 04:13 PM
It warns to avoid carbonated drinks which cause gastrointestional distress and may decrease fluid volume.That's hardly evidence that they are worse than not drinking at all, though.

You can find plenty of studies saying that carbonated(*) or caffeinated drinks are not as good as still water. But all the recent studies I've seen are very clear that they are better than nothing. (And in fact they come pretty close to water where you are talking about a regular drinker of the product. So someone who rarely drinks diet-coke might need to drink 1 litre for the same effect as 500ml of still water. For someone who is a regular diet-coke drinker, it might be as little as 550ml).

(*) Well actually, I still can't find any actual studies involving carbonated drinks (but my google-fu seems weak today). Although amusingly, I found a patent for a carbonated sports drink designed to prevent dehydration. If you know of any actual studies supporting your claim, I'd be fascinated to read them.

Astro
23rd-May-2007, 04:24 PM
That's hardly evidence that they are worse than not drinking at all, though.

It says carbonated drinks 'may' cause decrease in fluid volume. True it's only a may. That is Michigan University USA.

I've been told by word of mouth, and I thought it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

Try doing a freestyle on carbonated (fizzy) water and no other fluid. Bet you can't.

Also, the lack of studies on the web may be down to the big corporatons, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Perrier, blocking the information.

Jhutch
23rd-May-2007, 04:32 PM
:blush: Can i recommend not drinking carbonated water because of the unwanted side-effect of burping?

David Franklin
23rd-May-2007, 04:33 PM
It says carbonated drinks 'may' cause decrease in fluid volume. True it's only a may. That is Michigan University USA.It's not a study, though. And my understanding is "fluid volume" means "amount drunk" here(*). In other words it decreases the amount you drink, not the actual amount of fluid in the body.

I've been told by word of mouth, and I thought it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE.Well, Lou, Ducasi and I hadn't heard about it, and we all found studies contradicting it.

Try doing a freestyle on carbonated (fizzy) water and no other fluid. Bet you can't. Can't afford to at typical bar prices for fizzy water. I've done it on diet coke though no problem. Or lager-shandy (which is even worse as a plan, since alcohol really is a diuretic).

Also, the lack of studies on the web may be down to the big corporatons, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Perrier, blocking the information.No arguing with that. After all, incidents like the "09 f9 ..." debacle show just how easy it is to block information on the internet...

(*) I can find a several of web links roughly as authorative as yours (i.e. not very) saying this.

TurboTomato
23rd-May-2007, 04:41 PM
:blush: Can i recommend not drinking carbonated water because of the unwanted side-effect of burping?

And because it tastes horrid as well http://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gif

David Franklin
23rd-May-2007, 04:43 PM
And because it tastes horrid as well http://www.type116.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_sick.gifAmazing how that icon resembles the bottom of a Perrier bottle, isn't it?

the whale
23rd-May-2007, 05:24 PM
What's your kilt made out of Whaley? Do you dance au naturel to keep cool?

It's your bog standard 8 yard "medium" weight (which is really quite heavy!!!) kilt.

:rofl: Cool & the whale are not words normally in the same book, far less sentence. I'm a 43 year old fat b I mean git (wow, cleaned that up at the last minute!) who really doesn't do cool! :blush: I've only danced at a ceilidh with my kilt on so far, but have to admit to not going commando, because I couldn't stand people looking up my kilt and then falling over with laughter :blush: :tears: :eek:

Twirlie Bird
23rd-May-2007, 06:28 PM
Try doing a freestyle on carbonated (fizzy) water and no other fluid. Bet you can't.

Sorry Astro but I know of at least 3 people who do this at every freestyle they attend :what:

I only drink diet coke at freestyles too and I'm ok :D

Caz
24th-May-2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry Astro but I know of at least 3 people who do this at every freestyle they attend :what:

:yeah: i drink lemonade or pepsi if at SP to keep the energy levels up.. full fat pepsi tho :D

Astro
25th-May-2007, 04:46 PM
Try this page.

Hydration / Dehydration, Daily Fluid Requirements (http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/hydration.htm)

Don't bother reading that page, but in the box on the left hand side type in [carbonated water dehydration]

That will take you to the right page.
Sorry I'm not very geeky.

It says many carbonated beverages have a diuretic effect.

Astro
25th-May-2007, 05:06 PM
It's your bog standard 8 yard "medium" weight (which is really quite heavy!!!) kilt.

:rofl: Cool & the whale are not words normally in the same book, far less sentence. I'm a 43 year old fat b I mean git (wow, cleaned that up at the last minute!) who really doesn't do cool! :blush: I've only danced at a ceilidh with my kilt on so far, but have to admit to not going commando, because I couldn't stand people looking up my kilt and then falling over with laughter :blush: :tears: :eek:

I had visions of all you guys in Scotland dancing in kilts at ceroc and going commando. Is CJ a lone kilt wearer?

You and your boys are wearing your kilts on your avator. Where are you and the boys going/been?

Astro
26th-May-2007, 11:49 AM

:yeah: i drink lemonade or pepsi if at SP to keep the energy levels up.. full fat pepsi tho :D

www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/12/08/the_diet_coke_and_Mentos_experience.php (http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/12/08/the_diet_coke_and_Mentos_experience.php)

Type in "Mentos" into the box to see how much carbon dioxide is in these carbonated drinks.

Carbon dioxide is expelled as waste, we breathe it out. Why put it into your body. It's in cigarettes as well.

Also drinking these drinks makes you feel as if your thirst has been quenched because it gives you a full feeling in your tummy. This can be dangerous.

A good way to tell if you are dehydrated is to check the coulour of your urine. If it's colourless or pale yellow, that's great. Anything darker, you need more fluid.

Also headaches the next morning after dancing could mean dehydration.
Hangover headaches are caused by dehydration.

MartinHarper
29th-May-2007, 02:23 PM
Carbon dioxide is expelled as waste, we breathe it out.

We also breathe out oxygen and water vapour.

whitetiger1518
29th-May-2007, 02:27 PM
We also breathe out oxygen and water vapour.

yep we only use up 20% of the Oxygen that we breathe in at any one time *sorry geek mode off :blush: *

Whitetiger