PDA

View Full Version : Terminology Dictionary

jiveoholic
5th-August-2004, 12:29 PM
There are a number of threads now about the confused use of terminology, whether Ceroc, Leroc or Oz, especially with regard to move names. Just for fun, I have created a "book" of jive terminology arranged as a dictionary.

You can find it at http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk under advice or on the home page, called Jiveoholics Dictionary.

The idea is just to include what is uncontraversial and help with a few language differences.

This is a public resource and I would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions for improvement, violently dissagrees with anything said or notices omissions etc. There is a page in the book to send back comments or air them publically here!

Thanks.

spindr
5th-August-2004, 12:56 PM
This is a public resource

Is that the same as in the public domain?

and I would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions for improvement, violently dissagrees with anything said or notices omissions etc.

Looks good, I'll drop you a few comments when I have time -- definitely looks prettier than other places (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/Glossary.html) :)

SpinDr.

Will
5th-August-2004, 03:50 PM
This is a public resource and I would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions for improvement, violently dissagrees with anything said or notices omissions etc. There is a page in the book to send back comments or air them publically here!

The Doughnut Beginners move often performed by David & Lily Barker.
Gumby Never heard this term myself but apparently it an Aussie term commonly used to describe beginner dancers.
Munter/Muggle Heard it but dunno what it means though
Neck Break Violent Assault
Fixed Couple Selfish and highly offensive duo of dancers
Smoking DURING a competition Ask Andy McGreggor - the only person ever to have done this (ref: Ceroc 2003)
Luvvy See any thread on this forum
Off Topic See Luvvy

Trish
5th-August-2004, 04:38 PM
Munter/Muggle Heard it but dunno what it means though

I can enlighten you as to what a muggle is, but don't know about a munter! Muggle comes from the Harry Potter term for a non-witch or wizard - it therefore means a non-dancer. Unsually the non-dancing husband/wife/partner of someone who dances - Like mine unfortunately!

Nice book Jiveoholic - really pretty graphics and useful too!

jiveoholic
5th-August-2004, 05:33 PM
Is that the same as in the public domain?
Looks good, I'll drop you a few comments when I have time -- definitely looks prettier than other places (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/Glossary.html) :)
SpinDr.

Not sure what the correct definition of "public domain" is. What I mean is open for public comment and improvement.

Just had a look at your site'e glossary. Somehow I missed this before. Will have to study.

MartinHarper
5th-August-2004, 05:45 PM
"public domain" means uncopyrighted. Stuff is elevated to the public domain when its copyright expires (around a century after creation, but the specifics are complicated). Alternatively, a work can be dedicated to the public domain if the creator wants it to be freely reused.

MartinHarper
5th-August-2004, 06:05 PM
Since you asked for suggestions...

The jiveholics dictionary content is nice enough, but I'd suggest dropping the "book" metaphor. It's poor because users can't choose to display more information by resizing the window, can't use Ctrl+F to search through it, can't print it for referring to offline, and can't change the font size for easier reading on hi-res screens. Mousing to and clicking a "next page" button is harder work than just using the "page down" and "page up" keys on the keyboard, or the mousewheel on the mouse.

jiveoholic
5th-August-2004, 06:34 PM

The jiveholics dictionary content is nice enough, but I'd suggest dropping the "book" metaphor. It's poor because users can't choose to display more information by resizing the window, can't use Ctrl+F to search through it, can't print it for referring to offline, and can't change the font size for easier reading on hi-res screens. Mousing to and clicking a "next page" button is harder work than just using the "page down" and "page up" keys on the keyboard, or the mousewheel on the mouse.

I do take your point. I suppose it is a bit of an experiment to make a dry subject fun. It is so difficult ot "browse" the web in a relaxed way with all those links and clicking, that this could be better.

It was a deliberate policy to retrict much of the functionality to that of a real book. However there are links to save turning lots of pages and a "back" button (only works once). You can print using right click, but I will provide a button soon. I will investigate whether I can make the page down and up buttons work.

Thanks for the feedback - do others think this way?

jiveoholic
5th-August-2004, 06:35 PM
"public domain" means uncopyrighted. Stuff is elevated to the public domain when its copyright expires (around a century after creation, but the specifics are complicated). Alternatively, a work can be dedicated to the public domain if the creator wants it to be freely reused.

I am happy with it being freely used and will make this clear in the book.

jiveoholic
5th-August-2004, 09:25 PM
can't print it for referring to offline

You can now print the page you are looking at (like photocopying a book!). It should also be possible to view offline in one's cache as once it it loaded there is no more reference to the web except for a few diagrams. I hope to allow full download as a zip file soon.

MartinHarper
6th-August-2004, 10:02 AM
By "offline" I meant "away from the computer" :)

It was a deliberate policy to restrict much of the functionality to that of a real book.

Out of curiosity, why? Seems odd to write a bunch of reasonable content, and then go out of your way to make it hard to use.

Anyway, I'm just passing on what I've learnt on usability - you can trust me, you can research it a bit, or you can blaze your own trail. If you do decide to read around the subject, you might start at this alertbox article (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html) - points five, eight, and nine would seem relevant to your book. Many of his other articles (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/) are interesting reading too.

If you do want to make your book public domain, or permit reuse in other ways, this license chooser (http://creativecommons.org/license/) gives several options. These helps everyone understand what they can and can't do with your work, and I'd recommend it.

spindr
6th-August-2004, 10:39 AM
Not sure what the correct definition of "public domain" is. What I mean is open for public comment and improvement.

It was just that many collaborative efforts use a copyleft of some kind, e.g. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) uses the GNU Free Documentation License.

Just had a look at your site'e glossary. Somehow I missed this before. Will have to study.

Well, you're welcome to copy anything from that or any other part of the guide (without asking) -- as long as you keep to the conditions of the GNU FDL I've also licensed it under. Or if that doesn't suit -- ask me anyway :)

SpinDr.

jiveoholic
6th-August-2004, 08:45 PM
Out of curiosity, why? Seems odd to write a bunch of reasonable content, and then go out of your way to make it hard to use.

Anyway, I'm just passing on what I've learnt on usability - you can trust me, you can research it a bit, or you can blaze your own trail. If you do decide to read around the subject, you might start at this alertbox article (http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html) - points five, eight, and nine would seem relevant to your book.

I'm pioneering a bit...there are so many people who criticise the web and say that there is nothing like reading a real book. I'm just playing with ideas - trying the make the experience fun. Your points, however are quite valid. perhaps I need to give in and provide a search facility or perhaps the ability to view in web form aswell - they they have the choice.

Thanks for the information site - a good site, although I am aware of the points made and perhaps "blazing my own trail" which will either push web ergonomic along a slightly different road or just get forgotten!

jiveoholic
24th-August-2004, 12:54 AM
Users of the dictionary now have the choice to read it in the normal (boring, but easy) web style!