PDA

View Full Version : To Love or Not to Love

Gus
3rd-August-2004, 12:22 PM
Rambling thought while trying to focus on doing some proper work.

Having seen the angiush a few mates have gone through recently I was reflecting on that hackneyed phrase:
"Its better to have loved and lost than ne'er to have loved at all"
From my current obervations I would have to firmly disagree with that statement.
Views?

under par
3rd-August-2004, 12:33 PM

Having seen the angiush a few mates have gone through recently I was reflecting on that hackneyed phrase:
From my current obervations I would have to firmly disagree with that statement.
Views?

The phrase does have some merit.

I would like to think that love should be the conserve of every human at sometime in their life.

Unfortunately the love you hold for a person may 1. not always be returned or 2. be returned but not forever.

There is one thing you cannot do in life and that it to force someone to love you.

If your love is unreturned then it hurts but that is life.

If your love is returned but subsequently ends then as much as that hurts its life too.

When we are all old and sitting on the veranda in a rocking chair I'm sure the person who loved and had it returned even for a short period of their life may feel more fondly about their life than any soul who never ever had his/her love returned.

Probably a bit deep! :kiss:

Love for everyone! I'll vote for that! :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

Daisy Chain
3rd-August-2004, 12:35 PM
Love for everyone! I'll vote for that! :

Some of us aren't very lovable :tears:

under par
3rd-August-2004, 12:41 PM
Some of us aren't very lovable :tears:

Everybody is lovable...............ask their mum!!! :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

Lou
3rd-August-2004, 12:49 PM
Views?
Totally pointless question, mate. You don't decide to love - it happens & there's not much you can do to change it - so why worry which is best?

philsmove
3rd-August-2004, 12:53 PM

It is best to love wisely, no doubt; but to love foolishly is better than not to be able to love at all

William Thackery

Love doesn’t make the world go round
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile

Franklin Jones

baldrick
3rd-August-2004, 01:02 PM
Love every time. Its so much more fun when the worlds being nice to each other.

Cry you cry alone,
Smile and the world wonders what you've been up to.

Sparkles
3rd-August-2004, 01:03 PM
You don't decide to love - it happens

:yeah:
...or it doesn't.
If it does, then no matter how much it may hurt if/when it ends I think your life is richer for the experience.
If it doesn't, well then it doesn't, and I guess you're none the wiser.

Lory
3rd-August-2004, 01:18 PM
Totally pointless question, mate. You don't decide to love - it happens & there's not much you can do to change it - so why worry which is best?
:yeah: I agree, it's one thing you don't have a choice in! :nice:

Funny old world, isn't it! ;)

Rhythm King
3rd-August-2004, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately the love you hold for a person may 1. not always be returned or 2. be returned but not forever.

There is one thing you cannot do in life and that it to force someone to love you.

If your love is unreturned then it hurts but that is life.

If your love is returned but subsequently ends then as much as that hurts its life too.

When we are all old and sitting on the veranda in a rocking chair I'm sure the person who loved and had it returned even for a short period of their life may feel more fondly about their life than any soul who never ever had his/her love returned.

Have been around for some time and had my fair share of girlfriends over the years. Whilst I have always cared for, and been faithful to said girlfriends, only a select few have really got under my skin to the point where I have truly loved them, body and soul. One broke my heart totally and subsequently completely disappeared off the scope. I still think of her. The other two have become dear and cherished friends. In spite of all the pain engendered, I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world and am both grateful and the richer for it.

Gus
3rd-August-2004, 01:49 PM
.....only a select few have really got under my skin to the point where I have truly loved them, body and soul.

And if someone could define the difference between infatuation and love..... :confused:

Lou
3rd-August-2004, 02:36 PM
And if someone could define the difference between infatuation and love..... :confused:
It's probably something you can only tell with hindsight. :sick:

Sorry - all this muggy weather is making me go all profound. Normal whittering will be resumed shortly....

White Knuckle Ride
3rd-August-2004, 03:14 PM

Spot on UP. Reminds me of the Philofos... Filosof... Phlos... Clever bloke called Bertrand Russell who nailed it down thus:- "To fear love is to fear life and those that fear life are three parts dead already." I fall in love about three times a week on average. Right now I'm in love with BARDSEY (Blessings be upon her) because she took my virginity. :whistle:

Chicklet
3rd-August-2004, 04:53 PM

Views?

Can anyone really know as they appear to be mutually exclusive states of being?
Once you have loved and lost you have no way of knowing if it would feel better ne'er to have loved at all and if you've ne'er loved, you have no way of knowing if you would feel better having loved and lost.

Try "lost" as in "he/she disappeared" and you'll hurt.

Petal
3rd-August-2004, 05:16 PM
Smile and the world wonders what you've been up to.

Andy McGregor
3rd-August-2004, 06:45 PM

This is, of course, completely true.

You will have known love in your life.

You might have known many other emotions more strongly because of that love - and some of them could have caused you pain you would otherwise not have felt. But at one time, no matter how briefly, you knew love. And that is what this phrase means.

dannyboy
3rd-August-2004, 07:44 PM

Infatuation is merely a symptom of love

Love's like the measles - all the worse when it comes late in life.

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.

philsmove
3rd-August-2004, 08:58 PM
I put this forum in the 10 things I love

And this tread confirms it

What a wonderful bunch you are

Sometimes, one wonders if you’re alone in your thoughts

But quote like

Love's like the measles - all the worse when it comes late in life.

Makes you realise you are not

whistler
4th-August-2004, 12:48 AM
Definately to love......

Whether its true love or pure infatuation. Returned or not...What would life be without it.

under par
4th-August-2004, 02:15 AM
Definately to love......

Whether its true love or pure infatuation. Returned or not...What would life be without it.

Exactly.....LOVE for all I'll vote for that. :yeah: :cheers: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rhythm King
4th-August-2004, 09:37 AM
Talking of love, if you want to see a charming and funny love story, go see Shrek 2 - it's fab!! :nice: :clap:

philsmove
4th-August-2004, 10:51 AM
go see Shrek 2 - it's fab!!

Hello frank

Thanks for the book club

Could we have a film club ??

dannyboy
4th-August-2004, 11:05 AM
go see Shrek 2 - it's fab!! :nice: :clap:

latinlover
4th-August-2004, 11:17 AM
When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain.

something I found in a card and gave to one of my daughters(who was suffering with a broken heart at the time)
" no man is worth your tears, and the one who is won't make you cry" :waycool:

Sparkles
4th-August-2004, 11:57 AM

something I found in a card and gave to one of my daughters(who was suffering with a broken heart at the time)
" no man is worth your tears, and the one who is won't make you cry" :waycool:

Maybe better to say "a man who is worth your tears won't make you cry".

I've shed many over useless blokes, and even more over the worthy ones, so I'm still not sure that's true...

Gordon J Pownall
4th-August-2004, 03:06 PM
Maybe better to say "a man who is worth your tears won't make you cry".

I've shed many over useless blokes, and even more over the worthy ones, so I'm still not sure that's true...

A man who makes you cry ain't worth a carrot...!!!!!!!

Sheepman
4th-August-2004, 05:36 PM
If your love is unreturned then it hurts but that is life. I'm not sure I agree with this, OK it's has to be true of romantic love, but what of the love (e.g.) parents have for their children, yes they may hope for love in return, but I don't believe that it can be the same thing.

And the difference between love and infatuation? IMO opinion love is more about selflessness, you put the wishes of someone you love above your own. I'm not sure that you can do that with infatuation, at least, not in the long term, but there's the rub, if it's not love, then is it long term?

There's more of this sort of stuff here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2427)

Greg

Sparkles
5th-August-2004, 09:45 AM
A man who makes you cry ain't worth a carrot...!!!!!!!

You must be worth a whole bunch then, Gordy :kiss:

stewart38
5th-August-2004, 10:08 AM
Definately to love......

Loveless :sad:

Monika
5th-August-2004, 11:31 AM
Love feels no burden
thinks nothing of trouble,
attempts what is above is strength,
pleads no excuse of impossibility.
It is therefore able to undertake all things,
and it completes many things,
and warrants them to take effect,
where he who does not love would faint and lie down.
Love is watchful and sleeping, slumbereth not
Though weary it is not tired:
though pressed it is not straitened,
though alarmed, it is not confounded...
-Thomas A. Kempis-
:flower: :)
A friends love says
"If you ever need anything, I'll be there"
True love says:
"You'll never need anything: I'll be there"
-Jimi Hollemans-
:hug:

Lindsay
5th-August-2004, 04:47 PM
:yeah: that's nice Monika...:flower:

"no man is worth your tears, and the one who is won't make you cry"
so true....

Forte
5th-August-2004, 11:32 PM
Have a listen to Eddi Reader singing Robert Burns "Ae Fond Kiss" ... it will make you think it is better to have loved and lost... sigh! :flower:

Monika
6th-August-2004, 08:37 AM
Love is so very special
Yet can make you feel so lost
It can arrive just like the springtime
and melt away the morning frost

You must find ways to nurture
Always grow your love with care
Never take for granted
The love that you both share

Mistakes are bound to happen
You may hurt eachothers heart
Yet don't give up easily
It will tear your love apart

Love resembles a bright flame
That lights a dark starry night
Never ever let this flame burn down
Rekindle with all your might

Take a moment every day
Look deep into each other's eyes
Never hesitate to show affection
Small gestures will keep love alive

Talk openly about your feelings
Take time to show that you care
Treasure each and every moment
Because to find true love is rare

-Connie Thomas Lugo-

:flower: :hug: Life is precious x

Gordon J Pownall
6th-August-2004, 09:41 AM
You must be worth a whole bunch then, Gordy :kiss:

Why thank you....... :kiss: :kiss: :hug: :flower: :hug: :kiss: :kiss:

Sheepman
6th-August-2004, 11:34 AM
Love's like the measles - all the worse when it comes late in life. If this is true, does anyone have any theories as to why?

Greg

under par
6th-August-2004, 12:08 PM
If this is true, does anyone have any theories as to why?

Greg

Measles in later life can come out as shingles and can be very nasty. :eek:

Don't understand the relevance of the love in later life in this context. :confused:

Andy McGregor
6th-August-2004, 02:04 PM
If this is true, does anyone have any theories as to why?

Greg

I think we're supposed to know better. And, some people, especially youngsters, probably don't like the image of a love-sick granny :flower:

ChrisA
6th-August-2004, 02:10 PM
Measles in later life can come out as shingles and can be very nasty. :eek:

I had measles when I was 19.

It was horrendous. Like flu (proper flu I mean, not the sort of bad cold that people claim is flu :rolleyes: ), but quite a lot worse.

High temperature for a whole week (delirious and thinking I was going to die by the end of it). Then too weak to stand up for more than a minute or two for another week.

Then another week gradually feeling better.

And spots? Don't talk to me about spots. I had one "spot" - it covered my entire body almost. The doctor brought along half a dozen medical buddies to show them, he was so taken with the case :tears:

Chris

PS It's chickenpox, not measles, BTW, that reappears as shingles. I've had chickenpox, too, as an adult. But not yet shingles :clap:

Sheepman
6th-August-2004, 02:26 PM
Measles in later life can come out as shingles and can be very nasty. I can't believe you're not deliberately avoiding the point here :devil: The question is why should love in later life be worse? Is it referring to a first time later in life, or second time around. Is it worse because it is felt more deeply, or because you're less likely to be able to perform :wink: Or is it what Andy alludes to, the fact that it makes the youngsters feel sick!
If there's truth in the comment, I'd like to know the reasons why.

Greg

Sparkles
6th-August-2004, 02:36 PM
I can't believe you're not deliberately avoiding the point here :devil: The question is why should love in later life be worse? Is it referring to a first time later in life, or second time around. Is it worse because it is felt more deeply, or because you're less likely to be able to perform :wink: Or is it what Andy alludes to, the fact that it makes the youngsters feel sick!
If there's truth in the comment, I'd like to know the reasons why.

Greg

I think it's referring to if you find love for the first time later in life it's worse because of all the years when you've not been together to enjoy it (and you have less time left together). At least that's what I think it's getting at, but I might be wrong...

under par
6th-August-2004, 03:10 PM
PS It's chickenpox, not measles, BTW, that reappears as shingles. I've had chickenpox, too, as an adult. But not yet shingles :clap:

Sorry , just as well I'm not in the medical profession eh?? :blush: :blush: :blush:

Andy McGregor
6th-August-2004, 03:13 PM
Sorry , just as well I'm not in the medical profession eh?? :blush: :blush: :blush:

Your hair would catch fire on the operating theatre lights ....

Rhythm King
6th-August-2004, 03:30 PM

That's so unfair! The pointy helmet would surely protect poor Mr Par's head, wouldn't it. And if you're so content with your height, why do you wear such high heels? :wink:

under par
6th-August-2004, 04:04 PM

Yeah but shingles is really nasty....wouldn't wish it my worst enemy.....Andy! :flower:

Sparkles
6th-August-2004, 04:42 PM
Now, now boys, play nicely...

... you too Andy :wink:

btw, I've had a shocking day and could really do with a hug - so if anyone's at Hipsters tonight and fancies cheering me up then a little love would be much appreciated :hug: :flower:

S. x

Andy McGregor
6th-August-2004, 05:02 PM
And if you're so content with your height, why do you wear such high heels? :wink:

Fashion victim :tears:

But, I only wear high-heels when I'm cross dressing because they give me such a sexy leg shape and wiggle.

As a male dancer I'm exactly the right height and wear low heels, just like the other 6 guys in our gold mine :wink:

Andy McGregor
6th-August-2004, 05:07 PM
btw, I've had a shocking day and could really do with a hug - so if anyone's at Hipsters tonight and fancies cheering me up then a little love would be much appreciated :hug: :flower:

S. x

So, here's the plan, Sparkles needs a serial hug, we need to make sure she gets hugged from 9pm 'til 1am - here's some to start things off :hug: :hug: :hug:

And as it's a hot tonight all that hugging might cause her to spontaneously combust so we need someone standing by with a bucket of water :devil:

Sheepman
6th-August-2004, 05:15 PM
we need someone standing by with a bucket of water :devil: Is that for the huggee or hugger? :devil:

Sparkles, I estimate I'll be available for a dry hug about 8:30, if you want a wet one, any time after that! :really:
(You know I'm referring to the steamy weather don't you?)

Greg

RobC
6th-August-2004, 05:19 PM
So, here's the plan, Sparkles needs a serial hug, we need to make sure she gets hugged from 9pm 'til 1am - here's some to start things off :hug: :hug: :hug:

Is this an excuse-me hug ? (tap on the shoulder) I'm next.
:hug: :kiss: :hug: :kiss: :hug:
See you tonight for the real thing :flower:

Andy McGregor
6th-August-2004, 05:19 PM
Is that for the huggee or hugger? :devil:

Probably both, in my experience a burning woman sets things alight pretty quickly :whistle:

Sparkles, I estimate I'll be available for a dry hug about 8:30, if you want a wet one, any time after that! :really:

Sounds to me like Greg needs hosing down before he even gets there and I'm going to have a cold shower right now :innocent:

Lory
6th-August-2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah but shingles is really nasty....wouldn't wish it my worst enemy.....Andy! :flower:
I've had Shingles :tears: :tears: :tears: It's absolutly horrendous! I got it through the shock and stress of having a child in Hospital! :(

But, apparently, if you catch it quick enough (within 24-48hours) they can treat it, with Zivorex, the same stuff people use for the treatment of coldsores! (which I thankfully DON'T get! :clap: )

The trouble is, you might not recognise the symtoms the first time. you sure wont forget them though! :sick:

ChrisA
6th-August-2004, 05:47 PM
But, apparently, if you catch it quick enough (within 24-48hours) they can treat it, with Zivorex, the same stuff people use for the treatment of coldsores! (which I thankfully DON'T get! :clap: )

Er, that would be Zovirax :D

And, funnily, enough, it's also used to treat chickenpox in adults. Guess how I know? :whistle:

The tablets are very scary - you think they're for horses but you have to swallow them anyway :tears:

But if you catch the onset of it early enough (as I was fortunate enough to do), it sure works. I felt a bit groggy for a couple of days but otherwise felt fine. I looked dreadful though, and couldn't wash my hair for a fortnight - until the spots had gone. :really: :sad: :sick: :tears:

Not recommended - being covered with chickenpox spots is not exactly the look that would get you many dances, even in such a tolerant environment as MJ :whistle:

Chris

Lory
6th-August-2004, 06:10 PM
Er, that would be Zovirax :D

:blush: I knew it was something like that :rofl: I don't know why but I thought it was a cream :confused: