PDA

View Full Version : Why do you go to a workshop?

Jayne
3rd-August-2004, 11:49 AM
Over the course of my MJ "career" I've been to several workshops, run by a variety of organisations with a variety of teachers. I guess many other MJers are the same. I was wondering...

Why do you go to a workshop?

To experience a different style?
To learn from a different teacher?
To meet people?
To learn more? (either moves, musicality and/or style)
It's something to do?
You've been told you should attend them?

I guess the answer would be "most of the above" - but if you had to give one reason for attending a workshop, what would the reason be?

J :nice:

under par
3rd-August-2004, 12:03 PM
Over the course of my MJ "career" I've been to several workshops, run by a variety of organisations with a variety of teachers. I guess many other MJers are the same. I was wondering...

To meet people?
It's something to do?

I guess the answer would be "most of the above" - but if you had to give one reason for attending a workshop, what would the reason be?

Jayne

To learn more.

As a man at classes I often felt I wanted or needed more help and time to pick the essence of the lead and moves.

3 to 4 hours at a workshop in a smaller group more often than not with fixed partner I found I learned so much more.

philsmove
3rd-August-2004, 12:26 PM
I guess the answer would be "most of the above" –

:yeah:

But if you had to give one reason for attending a workshop, what would the reason be?

It’s very rare for me to do anything for just one reason, it’s nearly always a combination

Bigger Andy
3rd-August-2004, 12:34 PM
To meet people?
It's something to do?

Definitely to learn more !

I see a lot of people at my regular venue who have been dancing for a number of years who do not seem to have any real variety in their repertoire.

I don't know how the ladies feel about going through the same routine every time they dance with a particular man, but ...

I would get bored doing that even if I am dancing with a different lady each dance.

I want to continue expanding my repertoire.
I want the ladies to want to dance with me.
I want my dancing to progress.
I want ...
I want ...

dannyboy
3rd-August-2004, 07:55 PM
Main reason?
It's a bunch of good dancers (generally) under the same roof with a keen interest in improving their dance.

Stuart
3rd-August-2004, 08:24 PM
My main reason for going to workshops is to learn stuff that it is not always possible to learn in class e.g Style points.

Emma
3rd-August-2004, 09:31 PM
To learn more. Would now be a good time to get in my little moan about fixed partner workshops? :rofl:

(maybe another day!!!)

DavidB
3rd-August-2004, 09:38 PM
Because someone pays me to teach :devil:

under par
4th-August-2004, 01:34 AM

Lucky fellow... :cheers: :yeah:

TheTramp
4th-August-2004, 01:59 AM
:yeah: What David said.

The alternate answer is that I go to a workshop to heckle the person teaching it :D

Trampy

under par
4th-August-2004, 02:00 AM
:yeah: What David said.

The alternate answer is that I go to a workshop to heckle the person teaching it :D

Trampy

Surely not Steve! :angry:

Yliander
4th-August-2004, 07:25 AM

To meet people?
It's something to do?

to learn more!!! :clap: :clap: and the way I was feeling on Monday I have to add work myself into the ground :sick:

Gordon J Pownall
4th-August-2004, 03:08 PM

Me too....

Like it mate......

Oh...By the way,

Latin Jive Workshop - intermediate / advanced

22 August in Finchley

£30-00 per person

NO NEED TO BOOK WITH A PARTNER AS THE CLASS WILL BE ROTATED

Just thought I'd make that clear

contact www.cerocmetro.com or email Adam...... ceroc@hotmail.com

:clap: :clap:

quiet_flame
6th-August-2004, 08:35 AM

You cruel man! :D

I just derail their train of thought.. and the next move is :what: :sick:

Did I do that? :whistle:

quiet_flame
6th-August-2004, 08:37 AM
But seriously, I go to workshops because well 3 hours of concentrated dance class... how can you go wrong? :D :D
That, and most of the time, our workshops run for the weekend... 12 hours of dance time (not including freestyle before and after) :yeah:

Gadget
6th-August-2004, 10:02 AM
I go to learn the concept behind what they are teaching - if I pick up a few moves that were used to demonstrate it, so much the better. The social aspect and meeting dancers with a similar passion is a welcome bonus, but not a reason.

ChrisA
6th-August-2004, 10:16 AM

This happens in classes sometimes.

The teacher is doing the class, and some other teacher turns up, and does this "hey dude.. I'm here... gimme some recognition cos I'm a teacher too, and I want everyone in the class to know I'm a superior being..." thing...

Similarly, people play up to DJs sometimes... I was in a blues room earlier in the year, can't remember where, but our very own Lounge Lizard was playing a particularly luscious set. And a very well-known teaching duo turned up in the room, larking about doing the "we can do this cos we're so well known" thing.

It can really spoil the atmosphere for the lesser beings in the room, IMHO. :tears:

I did find it funny once, though, when Viktor was teaching, and Mick turned up saying "hey dude"... Viktor replied "Get me a breezer, bitch"; it got quite a laugh. :rofl:

Chris

DavidB
6th-August-2004, 10:54 AM
Similarly, people play up to DJs sometimes... I was in a blues room earlier in the year, can't remember where, but our very own Lounge Lizard was playing a particularly luscious set. And a very well-known teaching duo turned up in the room, larking about doing the "we can do this cos we're so well known" thing. It can really spoil the atmosphere for the lesser beings in the roomSorry - I don't agree with this. As long as you are not being dangerous, offensive, or getting in the way, then any dancer can dance however they want to whatever sort of music. If someone wants to dance a mixture of salsa & lindy hop to blues music, then what right has anyone to say "You can't do that in here - you have to dance our way?"

Rachel
6th-August-2004, 11:09 AM
Sorry - I don't agree with this. As long as you are not being dangerous, offensive, or getting in the way, then any dancer can dance however they want to whatever sort of music. If someone wants to dance a mixture of salsa & lindy hop to blues music, then what right has anyone to say "You can't do that in here - you have to dance our way?" Quite true. But I think Chris was talking more about a few (though rare) people's attitude and an air of arrogance which can be rather discomforting. All I can think to do is give people like this no attention whatsoever - which is quite easy cos they never come and ask me to dance, anyway!
Rachel

Rachel
6th-August-2004, 11:18 AM
Actually, to answer the original question, why do you go to workshops - I think the answer for me would be: To experience a different style.

I never seem to have either the time, money or energy to go to workshops, unless I'm at dance weekends like Camber. And, when there, the workshops which tempt me most are those offering a style I've never done before. Just to see what it's like, and how well I'd get on with it. It so rare to have a chance to do taster session like that.

Of course, in an ideal world, I'd love to also do workshops focusing on aspects of MJ, such as style, musicality, etc etc. And to see different teachers.

Rachel

Lory
6th-August-2004, 11:36 AM
Mental note to myself! :rolleyes: .........

Must get round to doing a workshop, one day, soon! :cool:

under par
6th-August-2004, 12:02 PM
Mental note to myself! :rolleyes: .........

Must get round to doing a workshop, one day, soon! :cool:

Bless! :flower:

ChrisA
6th-August-2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry - I don't agree with this. As long as you are not being dangerous, offensive, or getting in the way, then any dancer can dance however they want to whatever sort of music. If someone wants to dance a mixture of salsa & lindy hop to blues music, then what right has anyone to say "You can't do that in here - you have to dance our way?"
I obviously didn't make myself clear :flower:

I wasn't referring to a particular style of dancing, I'm recalling loud talking, laughing, calling out to the DJ across the floor, generally making noise and attracting attention other than by dancing.

And in the relaxed, sleepy, somewhat sensuous (or do I mean sensual? :devil: ) atmosphere of a smallish blues room in the wee small hours, I found it rather distracting :tears:

Chris

DavidB
6th-August-2004, 01:07 PM
I wasn't referring to a particular style of dancing, I'm recalling loud talking, laughing, calling out to the DJ across the floor, generally making noise and attracting attention other than by dancing.In that case I agree with you.

Now I just hope it wasn't me you were talking about :blush: :blush:

ChrisA
6th-August-2004, 01:47 PM
In that case I agree with you.

Now I just hope it wasn't me you were talking about :blush: :blush:
Nope.

It wasn't you :flower:

I'm not going to name names, for obvious reasons.

Chris

Simon r
7th-August-2004, 07:53 AM
go on name names, i am intrested now... :what: