PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette /space/consideration on the dancefloor?

tiger
2nd-August-2004, 06:58 PM
I have been to various venues and witnessed both great and poor levels of consideration on the dance floor.

In particular people walking through a crowded floor with a full drink in their hand!

Another thing is them bumping into you, quite heavily and no wave of the hand or apology.

Also people doing wild aerial moves/drops in a crowded venue!

We all know,as a novice it takes a while to 'learn your stuff' and the awareness takes a while, but some of these people have been dancing years!

Banana Man
2nd-August-2004, 07:17 PM
Another thing is them bumping into you, quite heavily and no wave of the hand or apology.

We all know,as a novice it takes a while to 'learn your stuff' and the awareness takes a while, but some of these people have been dancing years!
:yeah:
Totally agree, the least you can do is apologise for bumping, I'm conscious that if I do seem to be getting close to people then I'll start to adust the moves [think was covered somewhere in slots vs roation] and the distance travelled.

Been to a venue recently where one bumper was so persistent that they were taken to one side afterwards and spoken to, and rightly so IMHO, as they clearly didn't think they were a problem :o and it's better they know now before someone gets injured.

Also went to a venue where some people seemed to like standing in the middle of the dance floor and watching rather than on the sidelines, most strange, only reason I can think is that they very keen to dance with someone and wanted to make sure they got the next dance. :devil:

Andy McGregor
2nd-August-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm out on the other side on this one. Bad dance floor etiquette used to make my blood boil; people chatting on the floor; people walking across rather than round; people dancing big rather than small on crowded floors, etc, etc.

BUT, I don't let it bother me any more. I move: I avoid dancing near people who are making these mistakes. The can have all the room they like, they can do as many arials as they like, they can bang into people if they want - but I won't be anywhere near them. And the funny thing is, I enjoy my nights much more now I've taken up this approach :waycool:

p.s. It's a bit like the driver who drives too close behind you - just indicate left, pull over and let them pass: they can have their accident without me in it.

p.p.s. Unless it's smoking, you can't move around to avoid that risk - just go to a different venue where there's no smoke :clap:

Gordon J Pownall
3rd-August-2004, 01:30 AM
p.p.s. Unless it's smoking, you can't move around to avoid that risk - just go to a different venue where there's no smoke :clap:

I have some news about Maidstone....after some careful consideration..... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway back to the thread....I 'teach' dancefloor etiquette on all beginner and intermediate workshops as core subjects (all sounds a bit formal but actually is covered during the general on going of things during the day). :grin:

Great response and appears to make a real difference. :D

Such things should always be mentioned by the teachers in normal class nights anyway - it doesn't take a minute to remind people about safety on the floor, askign to dance, looking after your partner, spatial awareness etc.

If I see someone who looks like he or she has 'dance rage' (is this a new term...??), I will always say something, especially to the muppets who think it is OK to throw beginners into seducers and ballroom drops.... :angry: