PDA

View Full Version : Dance Floors

Gus
2nd-August-2004, 05:58 PM
Wondering about the quality of dancefloors at other clubs. Just realised the other day that ALL the dancefloors on the main circuit in the North West are sprung wooden floors. The only thing that screws some of them up is when the incorrect varnish is applied or some genious decides to buff them up to make them friction free :tears:. Is this usual? Are there succesful clubs on composite or tile floors? Didn't the Windsor club use to be (still is?) in a sports hall with a solid tile floor? Do you HAVE to have a wooden floor to have a good dance?

Sal
2nd-August-2004, 06:02 PM
Most of the women in Aberdeen can spin on anything, as one of our venues has a cobbled floor! The bonuses being that we can spin in caberet rehersals and BB lessons that have taken place on the grass. The down side is that most of the Aberdeen women suffer from sciatic nerve pain in their spinning leg.

philsmove
2nd-August-2004, 06:18 PM
You are very lucky having sprung dance floors, they are a rarity at Bristol classes

There is fairly comprehensive answer to your question by Andy at

http://www.forum.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1_q_a;action=display;num=1088334239

As one of our venues has a cobbled floor!

One of this Bristol classes (now closed) has duck tape over the holes

The famous holes at Elmgrove have now been filled with Epoxy filler :eek:

Lory
2nd-August-2004, 06:23 PM
Most of the women in Aberdeen can spin on anything,
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I can't! :sad:

But I did have a few really good dances on carpet :what: the other week! :clap:

Dance Demon
3rd-August-2004, 12:10 AM
Sprung wooden floor makes a huge difference. Just ask anyone with knee problems. I went to a Dundee party night in the Olympia centre, and it had a concrete floor with tiles on it. At the end of the night my knees were aching. Sprung wooden floors have more give, and are much better to dance on, hence the reason they were found in ballrooms.notable examples being tower ballroom in Blackpool, The Beach ballroom in Aberdeen, and The Cavendish in Edinburgh.All a joy to dance on...........

Emma
3rd-August-2004, 12:31 AM
Someone decided to re-varnish the floor at the old Ceroc Greenwich Charlton venue (now moved to Meridian Sports and Social Club yada, yada, yada)...it ruined the floor which had been a lovely one - looked like someone had used a cat to apply the varnish!

The Beach Ballroom is the only floor I know where you can get seasick on dry land :)

under par
3rd-August-2004, 12:52 AM
Sprung wooden floor makes a huge difference. Just ask anyone with knee problems. I went to a Dundee party night in the Olympia centre, and it had a concrete floor with tiles on it. At the end of the night my knees were aching. Sprung wooden floors have more give, and are much better to dance on, hence the reason they were found in ballrooms.

Mrs Par had real problems dancing at weekend event last year she couldn't dance after the Friday night because her knees had swollen up.

Mrs Par will normally dance anywhere anytime and was so upset sitting out for 2 nights.

We put this down to a temporary floor she had danced on all Friday evening. She wasn't the only person with sore knees either several others complained.

She has never had this problem before or since but she is far more aware of the possible problems and avoids C*** dance floors.

Tiggerbabe
3rd-August-2004, 01:16 AM
The Beach Ballroom is the only floor I know where you can get seasick on dry land :)
God, you gotta love that venue :clap: :clap: :D :flower:

under par
3rd-August-2004, 01:28 AM
God, you gotta love that venue :clap: :clap: :D :flower:

Where exactly is it Sheena??

Tiggerbabe
3rd-August-2004, 02:26 AM
The Beach Ballroom is in Aberdeen, it is, without a doubt, the most fabulous venue in Scotland :worthy: :worthy:
And for those of you unable to make it to the BFG in September - there's a party weekend in November - 22nd/23rd (I think, don't quote me :blush: ) - Saturday night's party will be held in the Beach Ballroom. :drool:
Up - you have to come - you owe it to yourself and Mrs Under Par :hug: :kiss: :flower: