PDA

View Full Version : BB Aerials & Blues Championships

LilyB
1st-August-2004, 09:09 PM
Congratulations are due to our fellow forumites Mary & Tony on their recent win in the National Aerials Championships at Beach Boogie. They performed an impressive routine which thrilled the audience - a well-deserved victory. :worthy: :clap: :cheers:

Congratulations also to David Martin & Jaime Dickenson who came second with their entertaining & amusing "Chicken" routine. :flower: :cheers:

The Blues Championships was won by Howard Temple & Nicola Chappell with a super-smooth and slick performance. Well done, guys! :clap: :waycool:

In second place was Mr Latinlover himself, Neil, & his lovely wife Sue. What a revelation these 2 were on the night - superb musical interpretation and sexy sultry dancing. :drool: Keep up the good work!

Well done to everyone who took part in the competitions, some at the very last minute. There was plenty of fabulous dancing to be seen and the audience was kept well entertained. :cheers:

LilyB

Simon r
2nd-August-2004, 06:57 AM
Congratulations are due to our fellow forumites Mary & Tony on their recent win in the National Aerials Championships at Beach Boogie. They performed an impressive routine which thrilled the audience - a well-deserved victory. :worthy: :clap: :cheers:

Congratulations also to David Martin & Jaime Dickenson who came second with their entertaining & amusing "Chicken" routine. :flower: :cheers:

The Blues Championships was won by Howard Temple & Nicola Chappell with a super-smooth and slick performance. Well done, guys! :clap: :waycool:

In second place was Mr Latinlover himself, Neil, & his lovely wife Sue. What a revelation these 2 were on the night - superb musical interpretation and sexy sultry dancing. :drool: Keep up the good work!

LilyB
:yeah:
a speacial well done to Tony and Mary i know how hard you two have worked and a well deserved victory... :cheers:

Tony M
2nd-August-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys.

We have watched our performance on video and pulled to pieces just about everything we did from start to finish, but at least we realise what the problems are.

Mary injured her shoulder about 10 minutes before we went on, and was in pain throughout the performance. She mentioned this morning about going for an X-ray.

Pammy
2nd-August-2004, 10:35 AM
Hope Mary is ok. I know from the past she's been very brave with other things; the broken toe :tears: and somehow (unlike me) she just manages to carry on without hardly showing it at all.

Well done! :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-August-2004, 10:48 AM

Indeed they did, i didnt think there was any contest - great routine.
David Martin makes a good chicken, but Id like to know what move he was trying to do at the end that involved banging Jaimes head off the floor with a clunk :) she seemed none the worse for it though

Also full marks to Rob for a most excellent Nina impression in his and Lawrences? aerials entry(won most entertaining). I especially liked the break half way where Rob had a sit down and a drink whilst Lawrences 'Nigel' chatted up the nearest blonde :) Looking at the real Nina I thought she may have needed oxygen to avoid passing out from laughter :).

The Blues Championships was won by Howard Temple & Nicola Chappell with a super-smooth and slick performance. Well done, guys!

What a nice man he is too, hooray for Neil . Also... Rob, of previous Nina impersonation fame, won 'Best Newcomer' in Blues with the lovely Gemma (who i never got to dance with, sorry).

Hooray for Mr.Blobby and the Lion too ;)

David Franklin
2nd-August-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys.

We have watched our performance on video and pulled to pieces just about everything we did from start to finish, but at least we realise what the problems are.

Mary injured her shoulder about 10 minutes before we went on, and was in pain throughout the performance. She mentioned this morning about going for an X-ray.We're really proud of both of you, although not altogether surprised after you showed us a preview. Remember, you are always your own biggest critics... The determination both have you have shown has been inspiring!

Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday :cheers:

Dave + Bryony

Jayne
2nd-August-2004, 11:59 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

Well done to both of you! It was a great achievement, expecially given how new you both are to the field of aerials!

Hope the shoulder gets better soon Mary. :hug:

J :nice:

Sheepman
2nd-August-2004, 01:44 PM
Congrats to Mary and Tony on a well deserved win, all the performances were good, but they were clearly the class in the show. (Am I biased? - Nah)

And that brilliant performance by Lawrence and Rob, another well deserved prize. But anyone who was there for the punters cabaret will know it was only the second funniest performance in a hilarious week. I can't wait for the DVD, I think this one should go platinum!

Greg

Mary
2nd-August-2004, 09:21 PM
Aww shucks, you lot are really smashin'. :blush: As it was our first attempt at a choreographed routine I personally was petrified beforehand and getting quite freaked out - hence the shoulder injury (deep embarrassment).

I didn't dare speak it but I was hoping that it would be a great birthday present for Tony - he's always wanted a cute smiling pink pig!! :wink: Still nursing very sore shoulder - I'm being a complete wus at work, but job finishes on Friday :clap:

Really pleased for Neil and Sue in the Blues - I know how much that must mean to them - well done guys. The whole evening was very entertaining - just wish I could do comedy :tears: - there was some great stuff going on.

Thanks again - we felt like we had so much support it felt great! :worthy:

M

DianaS
2nd-August-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi It was an exceptional night, I was entertained impressed and at times quite breathless. My mates were totally impressed with it all and couldn't stop talking.
" Did you see that!
Who do you reckon is going to win?"

It must have been so offputting,
but hey, nothing compared to Mr Blobby!
:sick:

latinlover
3rd-August-2004, 08:55 AM

In second place was Mr Latinlover himself, Neil, & his lovely wife Sue. What a revelation these 2 were on the night - superb musical interpretation and sexy sultry dancing. :drool: Keep up the good work! LilyB

Thank you so much Lily
we are still reeling with shock as we thought we had no chance against such impressive competition! Haven't seen any video yet (can't wait for the dvd-hurry please Andy) so all I can remember are the mistakes!
Congratulations to Nicky & Howard for a worthy win .What little we saw of their dancing made us feel quite sick with inadequacy as it was our first ever comp.
Credit Must be given to the fabulous Val & David :worthy: from whose classes & workshops we've learnt almost all the blues style we know,and of course, the King & Queen of Blues , Nigel & Nina :worthy: :worthy: who gave us the rest of it
And Thank you to all those others (you know who you are!!)who talked us into it. :cheers:

thanks are due to Hev Mate who told us to make the audience believe that as soon as we'd finished dancing we were off to the bedroom(not much of a challenge,let's face it,with a partner like my Sue!!) :flower:

Many Congratulations too to Mary & Tony for a very slick show - clear winners from the outset

Dreadful Scathe
29th-August-2004, 04:01 PM
Heres a secret clip of one of the first heats of the Blues competition, couple of nice costumes there :rolleyes: and on the far right we have the superb Latin Lover and Wife ....
- watch the movie - (http://www.planetscathe.com/beachboogieq.mov)

I can't even remember who filmed this now but they were subtly hiding the camera at the beginning so bear with it :)

Dreadful Scathe
1st-September-2004, 04:56 PM
Heres a secret clip of one of the first heats of the Blues competition, couple of nice costumes there :rolleyes: and on the far right we have the superb Latin Lover and Wife ....
- watch the movie - (http://www.planetscathe.com/beachboogieq.mov)

I can't even remember who filmed this now but they were subtly hiding the camera at the beginning so bear with it :)
has anyone watched this yet ? :)

latinlover
1st-September-2004, 05:10 PM
GNGnGNGngngngngnggngnaaaaarrrrghhh!*&^%$£"!***?
can't get it to play on windows media player :tears: :tears:
thanks for the comments though, oh pink spotty one! :wink:

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 05:13 PM
GNGnGNGngngngngnggngnaaaaarrrrghhh!*&^%$£"!***?
can't get it to play on windows media player :tears: :tears:
thanks for the comments though, oh pink spotty one! :wink:

I'm glad it's not just me! - saves me from dismantling my pc, to find out what's wrong :yum:

Peter
1st-September-2004, 05:58 PM
Well at least AOL can do something ... is the pink fluffy a forumite?

Minnie M
1st-September-2004, 06:01 PM

you must be joking - 15mins to download :angry: sorry LL & Mrs. LL would love to see you dance but not that much - gotta get broadband :mad:

Tiggerbabe
1st-September-2004, 06:35 PM
Yup! :clap: :clap:

Dance Demon
1st-September-2004, 07:11 PM

Yes........whats the Mr Blobby bit all about.?.........must have been a distraction to the other competitors......
:what:

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 07:50 PM
Yes........whats the Mr Blobby bit all about.?.........must have been a distraction to the other competitors......

I'm glad you said that DD!. I was there for BB, and thought exactly that at the time, but no one else around me seemed to murmer, so I thought I was alone in my thinking! :confused: .

The Beach Boogie week is all about fun, and fun it should be....however, if a competition is billed as "National Blues Championships", that would convey to me a sense of seriousness about it. Mr Blobby I'm afraid, does not count as serious in my book for some strange reason! :whistle: I'm certainly glad I wasn't competing in that heat!

Minnie M
1st-September-2004, 07:59 PM
Somebody help please :tears: I want to see it too :tears: is there any way I can get around the 15minute download :confused:

RobC
1st-September-2004, 08:34 PM
The Beach Boogie week is all about fun, and fun it should be....however, if a competition is billed as "National Blues Championships", that would convey to me a sense of seriousness about it. Mr Blobby I'm afraid, does not count as serious in my book for some strange reason! :whistle: I'm certainly glad I wasn't competing in that heat!
You are right, Beach Boogie is all about having fun. That's why there is also a prize for the 'Most Entertaining' couple. I won it in the Blues competition last year, and I was delighted to pass the crown to Rob & Lawrence for their excellant N&N tribute this year. :worthy:

I didn't see what Blobby got up to as I was still waiting outside to dance in a later heat, but it is definitely within the spirit of Beach Boogie for an entry of that nature. :clap:
(Besides, I was one of the people that persuaded them to enter ;) )

latinlover
2nd-September-2004, 09:54 AM
Wellll.....
speaking as one of the other competitiors in the heat my first reaction was exactly that"oh well there goes my concentration!!", and "that's what the judges will be looknig at so they won't be looking at us"
then I thought "s*d it, just ignore them and go for it, the judges are experienced enough to not jeopardise anyone's chances because of it"
now obviously we could hear the audience laughing but we just didn't dare look around - in the end I was having enough trouble remembering any moves at all, and I can't lay the blame for that at mr blobby's door.
I do know that the other couple were quite irritated by the distraction,but I'm sure that since the judges noticed enough of our dancing to put us through to the final then they would also have judged the other couple with equal attention
so no hard feelings as far as I am concerned :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-September-2004, 06:33 PM
the first link was in Quicktime format so heres another one (http://www.planetscathe.com/blues.wmv) in wmv format - same size but it may stream properly in media player.

Why all the negativity ?
The judges are well capable of judging 3 couples on a floor, regardless of how silly or serious the couples happen to be taking it, to suggest otherwise is insulting. As Rob said, there is a 'Most Entertaining couple award' and non-serious entries are encouraged. I believe there were non-serious couples in every single heat and by having a couple not taking it seriously in your heat your chance of being noticed by the judges is surely far greater; why would the judges watch Mr.Blobby...they wouldn't....its purely for the crowd :).

Both Mr.Blobby and the Lion or on this forum, no prizes for guessing who :rolleyes:

Dance Demon
2nd-September-2004, 07:26 PM
Why all the negativity ?

wasn't trying to be negative....just asked a simple question :)....having never been to Beach boogie (hoping to go next year though)..I was not aware of the emphasis on fun thing. Just seemed that if this was a serious comp....which I know now it wasn't ...then it would have been offputting for the other competitors to have Mr Blobby dancing with a lion next to them. I don't recall making any reference to Judges capabilities either,though latinLover does but only to say that the judges were experienced enough not to jeopardise anyones chances, which is a positive remark...I think :confused: wouldn't dream of insulting judges who are more experienced than I.........so , no negativity from old me.....I'm a glass half full man ;)

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-September-2004, 08:32 PM
Did my reply seem harsh ? sorry ! . You weren't negative.. it was you, gojive and latinlover together that made me say there was 'negativity', any of you alone wouldn't have been noticed. The rest was just my opinion, but now I can accuse you of being 'defensive' instead :) and Ill even point and go 'ooooooh' at you....:D

Dance Demon
2nd-September-2004, 08:51 PM
but now I can accuse you of being 'defensive' instead :) and Ill even point and go 'ooooooh' at you....:D

:na: :na: :na: ........... :D

Daniel Sandars
14th-October-2004, 12:40 PM
Also... Rob, of previous Nina impersonation fame, won 'Best Newcomer' in Blues with the lovely Gemma (who i never got to dance with, sorry).

At last we have managed to get organised with a webpage for Rob and Gemma see The Trophy (http://www.bluesdance.org.uk/70301.html).

It seems to have been a good idea to sponsor a trophy specifically targeted at upcoming social Blues dancers.

Rob and Gemma both joined us for a great event on October 9th under the leadership of the Lounge Lizzard. We have had fantastic feedback about Peter and the event, but that is another story........