PDA

View Full Version : Are there any windsurfers out there ?

Bigger Andy
29th-July-2004, 01:01 PM
Are there any other windsurfers on the forum ?

If so, where do you sail ?

What level are you at ?

What equipment do you have ?

Where have you been on your wind surfing holidays ?

In order to get things started here are my answers to the above questions :-

1. I normally sail at a place called Tankerton, which is near Whitstable in Kent.
(See the attached picture.)
2. I am at RYA level 4 (except that I can't carve gybe yet)
3. I have a Starboard Go(180l), a Starboard Carve 151(151l) and an F2 Ride 282(115l).
I have Tushingham and Ken Black sails ranging from 5.2 up to 10.0 m2.
4. I have just returned from a holiday to Kefalos on the greek island of Kos.
I have also been to Moon Beach, Dahab (x2) and Hurghada in Egypt, Bitez in Turkey, Vassiliki on the greek island of Lefkas, Finikounda (x2) on the greek Peloponese Peninsula, Leucate in France and Tarifa (x2) in Spain.

Will
29th-July-2004, 01:19 PM
Are there any other windsurfers on the forum ?

If so, where do you sail ?
I don't.

What level are you at ?
I am not.

What equipment do you have ?
None.

Where have you been on your wind surfing holidays ?
I haven't.

Will

Gordon J Pownall
29th-July-2004, 01:20 PM
I had a really dodgy Lamb Tikka Madras last night and don't need a sail or a board....does that count.......? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Will
29th-July-2004, 01:21 PM
I had a really dodgy Lamb Tikka Madras last night and don't need a sail or a board....does that count.......? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
That's not very helpful is it Gordon.

Gordon J Pownall
29th-July-2004, 01:24 PM

I think the only thing that would be helpful is a pull through with a Christmas Tree at the moment......

......but you are right....not very helpful ..............no................sorry............. ........ :innocent: :whistle:

Bigger Andy
29th-July-2004, 01:31 PM

I suppose, Will, that being the "official sports commentator"
makes your comments more helpful than Gordy's ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 01:33 PM
... a pull through with a Christmas Tree at the moment...... Christ, you're even worse than Marc - and I thought he knew some bad expressions!!! I'm really not sure I should be laughing at this, but it's too funny!
R.

Gordon J Pownall
29th-July-2004, 01:39 PM
[CENTER]I suppose, Will, that being the "official sports commentator"
CENTER]

Can I just say (in a helpful way)..... :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :whistle:

Will
29th-July-2004, 01:49 PM
I suppose, Will, that being the "official sports commentator"

Wherever there is sport, I am sure to follow. I merely wish to promote the act of answering your questions with regards to Windsurfing by as many forum members as possible.

I'm particularly interesting to know what Andy McGreggor, Mikey, DanderousCurves, and Heidi have to say on the matter.

I'd also like to add to my Colleage "Bigger Andy's" List of questions...:-

- How does DavidB think Windsurfing competitions should be judged?
- Is Gus band from any beaches where Windsurfing is partaken in?
- Have independants been handed you flyers when you've been Windsurfing?
- Is the Tramp a Beginner at Windsurfing?
- Does Geordeed believe that West Coast Windsurfing is far superior to all others?
- Do Aussie Windsurfers prioritise Big Waves over timing with the tide?
- Are there lots of luveys always telling each other what wonderful Windsurfers they are?

Andy McGregor
29th-July-2004, 02:06 PM
I used to be a windsurfer. I started on a Windsurfer (tm) with a teak boom in about 1982 and kept it up until about 1994. I've still got 4 boards and about 20 sails which cost me thousands but are now worth nothing so I can't bear to part with them. I could carve gybe, but not very well in big waves, I could jump, but rarely sail away from the landing :tears:

But windsurfing takes a whole day and is very selfish when you're a dad with young kids - so I gave it up. Since then I've got into yachting: which is a bit like windsurfing with a kitchen :wink:

Will
29th-July-2004, 02:09 PM
See...... It's a good job I asked!

Bigger Andy
29th-July-2004, 02:14 PM
See...... It's a good job I asked!
Will, I think that you will find that the question was originally asked by me (the thread starter) !

Will
29th-July-2004, 02:27 PM
Whilst you definately deserve the credit for bringing up the topic........

I'm particularly interesting to know what Andy McGreggor..... has to say on the matter....

I thankyou :cheers:

ChrisA
29th-July-2004, 02:49 PM
Will, I think that you will find that the question was originally asked by me (the thread starter) !
I tried it for a week in St Andrews. Ended up having a lot of fun and getting about a million bruises all down my shins.

Chris, making mental note to buy a second hand Laser in good nick.

Will
29th-July-2004, 05:02 PM
I'd also like to add to my Colleage "Bigger Andy's" List of questions...:-

- How does DavidB think Windsurfing competitions should be judged?
- Is Gus band from any beaches where Windsurfing is partaken in?
- Have independants been handed you flyers when you've been Windsurfing?
- Is the Tramp a Beginner at Windsurfing?
- Does Geordeed believe that West Coast Windsurfing is far superior to all others?
- Do Aussie Windsurfers prioritise Big Waves over timing with the tide?
- Are there lots of luveys always telling each other what wonderful Windsurfers they are?

Forgive me for not asking :-

- Does ChrisA always wear an All-Black wetsuit when he is windsurfing?

Lory
29th-July-2004, 05:23 PM
1. I normally sail at a place called Tankerton, which is near Whitstable in Kent.

My nan used to have a caravan in Seasalter, which is near Whitstable! :D

What I really want to know is, how may men have tried it but couldn't get it up? :whistle: Time for a poll? :rofl:

Dance Demon
29th-July-2004, 05:58 PM
What I really want to know is, how may men have tried it but couldn't get it up? :whistle: Time for a poll? :rofl:

And you expect the guys to be honest too, don't you Lory.......like they would all admit it.......:whistle: :rofl:

Peter
29th-July-2004, 06:08 PM
What I really want to know is, how may men have tried it but couldn't get it up?

Me ... but I keep on trying ... I know I'm crap ... even when experts try telling me otherwise ...

Andy McGregor
29th-July-2004, 06:23 PM

Getting it up is easy, keeping up for a few hours is the hardest bit :whistle:

One of my claims to fame was keeping it up and keeping it dry, saved the bother of hosing it down before rolling it up and putting it back in the bag :wink:

Bigger Andy
30th-July-2004, 12:52 PM
... with a teak boom ...

That sounds as though you must have been in the sport from the beginning
- in the era before clamp-on booms, harnesses and footstraps ! Respect ! :worthy:

Things have come on a bit since then !

Andy McGregor
30th-July-2004, 01:01 PM
That sounds as though you must have been in the sport from the beginning
- in the era before clamp-on booms, harnesses and footstraps ! Respect ! :worthy:

Things have come on a bit since then !

I was there to witness it all, short-boards, footstraps, clamp on booms, rotational rigs, retractable centre boards, monofilm sails, and a few evolutionary mistakes like cutaway rigs and anti-cavitation slots in skegs. And I still own quite a lot of the history - I wish I'd kept my old original Windsurfer and Bic 210 - I'm sure they're now design icons in some circles.

I've noticed that modern boards are fatter and modern masts are thinner. Now you've got me going down memory lane I think I'll hire a board on holiday - I'll take my trusty Tushingham harness from 1989.

Gordon J Pownall
30th-July-2004, 01:03 PM
.....I'll take my trusty Tushingham harness from 1989.

Is this a medical device Andy...???

I thought the cream you got from the Doctor had sorted out the ' old trouble '

:what: :whistle: