PDA

View Full Version : Ignore Threads

Zuhal
28th-July-2004, 05:52 PM
Is there a way of Ignoring Threads?
I see that you can choose to ignore members.

I quite like the idea of radio buttons to select

Technical Dance related Discussion
Wit and Humour
Cool new tunes
Book Club
Anything that DavidB has summarised :worthy:

And De-select
Gushing over Birthdays :kiss:
Endless dribbling about perspiration :tears:
TV inspired Nominations :sad:
Threads with a high luvvie factor :flower:

Zuhal

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 10:42 AM
... And De-select
Gushing over Birthdays :kiss: ... Does this mean that, when it gets to your birthday we shouldn't bother sending any happy birthday greetings? :wink:

Admitedly the forum can be very lovey at times, but at least most of the non-'serious' threads are obvious and can easily be ignored.

I think it's lovely when you find out that all these people have been thinking of you on your birthday. Marc said it was the best surprise of all when I presented him with all the forum greetings on his birthday last week. He was really overwhelmed and touched that so many people wanted to send him birthday wishes. (Thanks to you all!)
Rachel

Andy McGregor
29th-July-2004, 10:51 AM
Don't read the threads that don't interest you. There are some threads that I just don't bother with. It's no effort at all. For example, it was toaster boy's birthday recently. I don't know him and think it would be insincere of me to wish him happy birthday - so I didn't click onto the thread: it was no effort at all.

And if you're subscribed to a thread and decide not to read it any more and don't want the email notifications go to User CP and unsubscribe.

Gus
29th-July-2004, 11:12 AM
Don't read the threads that don't interest you. There are some threads that I just don't bother with.

I think that one problem that pervades is the ongoing 'problem' of threads being hi-jacked or deteriorating into irrelevant chit chat. I think there was a debate about this about a year ago .. and the consensus view was that Chit Chat should stay in the Chit Chat area ... but I don't think that has happened. I think the 'vicious rumour' thread is a prime example. :sad:

Emma
29th-July-2004, 11:50 AM
I think the 'vicious rumour' thread is a prime example. :sad:rarely has there been a thread I was happier to see go off topic....:tears:

Andy McGregor
29th-July-2004, 12:02 PM
I think the 'vicious rumour' thread is a prime example. :sad:

I thought it was a great team effort to get that thread off-topic - well done everyone who contributed to the off-topic chat and well done eveyone who didn't post on-topic when they might have :wink:

And, on this occasion, it was actually difficult to locate the "vicious roumours" being referred to so it was quite difficult to stay on-topic...

But, yes Gus, it requires an effort of will to stay on-topic. I believe that it is up to the thread starter to keep the flag flying for the thread and steer it back to the subject if it drifts - or, if the subject has had the legs talked off it, let the thread peter out in a pink cloud of luvviness :flower:

Gus
29th-July-2004, 12:13 PM
...... let the thread peter out in a pink cloud of luvviness :flower:

Do we have to? :sad: I'm sorry to be such a grim cynic but on most other forums the cut and thruist of debate and exchange of idea is not derailed by a multitude of irrelevant and fawning praise. Have you noticed that its perfectly acceptable to enthuse wildly over a minor dance whereas if anyone has the temerity to say something negative about someone/something, regardless of the justification, they get slammed to the wall! :angry:

Zuhal
29th-July-2004, 12:24 PM
Sorry not to be lovely but the question posed in all earnestness in a Forum area listed "Questions" was "is their a technical way way of ignoring threads"

I gather that the answer is, NO

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions though :flower:

Zuhal

Andy McGregor
29th-July-2004, 01:08 PM
Do we have to? :sad: I'm sorry to be such a grim cynic but on most other forums the cut and thruist of debate and exchange of idea is not derailed by a multitude of irrelevant and fawning praise. Have you noticed that its perfectly acceptable to enthuse wildly over a minor dance whereas if anyone has the temerity to say something negative about someone/something, regardless of the justification, they get slammed to the wall! :angry:

Yes, I have noticed this :tears: I express my opinion about my likes and dislikes and get "slammed to the wall" on a regular basis. But it's only a virtual slamming - so far :tears:

I'm afraid that there are two interests and they're not really compatible. It's a bit like having a business meeting to discuss an important project and then inviting all and sundry with no interest in the project - they're bound to end up chatting about other more interesting things :wink: