PDA

View Full Version : Minnie Mouse Fan Club

Andy McGregor
28th-July-2004, 11:24 AM
I've started this thread because Minnie Mouse needs our help. So many people love her they've given her too many chocolates, crisps and cake :drool:

Minnie is now on a diet and I know she'd appreciate our support.

Last week she lost 2 kilos - which in real money is 4.4 pounds!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Keep it up Minnie, we're all very proud of you :clap:

LilyB
28th-July-2004, 12:39 PM
Hooray for MinnieM!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep up the good work - you definitely have more determination than me. :worthy: :cheers:

LilyB :hug: :kiss:

Lory
28th-July-2004, 01:07 PM
Hey, Well done Minnie! :clap:

Stick with it and report in with your weekly up date!

Just to let you know, I'm suffering with you! :hug: (started mine AGAIN on Monday :rolleyes: )

I'm sitting here eating a packet of vegetables and beansprouts trying to pretend theyre crisps! :rofl:

Sparkles
28th-July-2004, 03:01 PM
Just to let you know, I'm suffering with you! :hug: (started mine AGAIN on Monday :rolleyes: )

Me too :sad:

Minnie M
28th-July-2004, 04:03 PM
Thank you Andy :blush: for starting this thread I appreciate any help given, it is going to a long hard journey :hug: :kiss: :flower:

Andy McGregor
28th-July-2004, 05:23 PM
As a token of support for Minnie, and for my own health, I'm cutting down my coffee consumption - from my usual 20 cups a day! This is day 2 and I'm quite enjoying a regular slice of lemon on hot water - but I am missing the coffee - a lot :tears:

Go Minnie :yeahbaby:

Pammy
29th-July-2004, 09:09 AM
Yeah, good luck Minnie. I can recommend cutting out bread and swapping for rivetas. That's my personal tip that works for me. :flower:

Minnie M
29th-July-2004, 10:32 AM
Yeah, good luck Minnie. I can recommend cutting out bread and swapping for rivetas. That's my personal tip that works for me. :flower:

Thanks Pammy - yep, that IS a good idea, I love bread, especially when spread with thick butter :drool:

Any tips, greatfully welcome :D

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks Pammy - yep, that IS a good idea, I love bread, especially when spread with thick butter :drool:

Any tips, greatfully welcome :D I want to be in the Minnie fan club, too!! :flower: Just because she's an amazing person, and wonderful dancer. I'll never forget seeing her dance with all those men at her birthday party and managing to seemlessly change her style to suit each partner. (gush gush - sorry Zuhal!!).

I'm sorry, I haven't got any good diet tips though - I'm so hopeless. I'm currently trying to eat more healthily ... and yesterday, what did I do? Managed to get through 4 chocolate bars!! So I thought, ok, that's not so bad, I'll just skip tea. Then when I was collapsed asleep on the sofa at 1 am after dancing, Marc woke me up and presented me with a huge meal of garlic bread, chips, egg, etc etc. Oh well ...!

Actually, one thing which really does help me is endless supplies of hot drinks to stop snacking. And lots of rice-based dishes. And chewing gum. And drinking white wine instead of gin! And - of course - as much dancing as you can manage.
Rachel

ChrisA
29th-July-2004, 11:05 AM
When anyone is considering reducing their calorie intake to lose weight, it's very important to maintain muscle mass by doing some strength training as well as eating less.

When the body uses its internal reserves, it burns muscle as well as fat, and this is very bad news, since even resting muscle requires more energy to sustain it than fat does.

This means that if you lose muscle, the rate at which your body burns energy (your 'metabolic rate') will be less, which means that it needs less fuel to survive. This means that more of what you eat will be laid down as fat next time round.

This is why so many diets fail - because 5 pounds lost will include muscle, unless you specifically work the muscles to maintain them. This will result in a body that burns calories slower than before, so it becomes even easier to put weight back on. And 5 pounds put back on will be all fat.

So any exercise is good, since it uses muscles, but exercise that makes the muscles work hard is even better.

For reference, walking or running a mile burns about 100 calories. Which is about equal to one-and-a-half chocolate biscuits :tears:

HTH, good luck to all.

Chris

Emma
29th-July-2004, 11:47 AM
Anyway, is Ryvita any good toasted? :)

...am thinking cheese on Ryvita :yum:

Pammy
29th-July-2004, 11:52 AM
Anyway, is Ryvita any good toasted? :)

...am thinking cheese on Ryvita :yum:

I always find Philladelphia light on a few ryvies is good.

Rachel had a good tip with drinks. If you like hot squash, a no-sugar variety can keep off the food cravings for a while, much better than a cold drink.

Px

Bardsey
29th-July-2004, 03:21 PM
I read an article in the window of a Chinese Herbalist the other day which swore that drinking Chinese Green tea burned up fat, yabba, yabba. This guy in the article swore that he just ate whatever he wanted, but drank the green tea and lost loads of weight. I thought, yeah right, load of crap.......and promptly went in and bought a pack. Started drinking it on Monday and already.........I'm flippin' addicted to green tea now!!!!!!

Forte
29th-July-2004, 09:22 PM
Oh well you are braver than me talking about dieting publically! But I shall join in and lend my support! Last year I lost sixteen pounds on Weight Watchers and have managed to keep it off. I put it on after a d-i-v-o-r-c-e. I figured I had been slim all through the marriage and it hadn't made me happy so what the heck! I enjoyed putting it on (loads of chocolate) but it was bloomin' hard taking it off and it took me three months!

Lynn
30th-July-2004, 01:19 AM
I'm flippin' addicted to green tea now!!!!!! Not sure about its diet properties (aside from not taking milk in it, I suppose) but it is higher in antioxidants and lower in caffeine than regular tea. And there are loads of lovely varieties - I like the Taylors of Harrogate Wild Mountain mix.

And go Minnie!

Andy McGregor
30th-July-2004, 01:39 AM
And go Minnie!

I love this thread :clap:

Come on Minnie, how's it going? No lapses I hope.

We're watching you :waycool:

under par
30th-July-2004, 02:34 AM
When anyone is considering reducing their calorie intake to lose weight, it's very important to maintain muscle mass by doing some strength training as well as eating less.

When the body uses its internal reserves, it burns muscle as well as fat, and this is very bad news, since even resting muscle requires more energy to sustain it than fat does.

This means that if you lose muscle, the rate at which your body burns energy (your 'metabolic rate') will be less, which means that it needs less fuel to survive. This means that more of what you eat will be laid down as fat next time round.

This is why so many diets fail - because 5 pounds lost will include muscle, unless you specifically work the muscles to maintain them. This will result in a body that burns calories slower than before, so it becomes even easier to put weight back on. And 5 pounds put back on will be all fat.

So any exercise is good, since it uses muscles, but exercise that makes the muscles work hard is even better.

For reference, walking or running a mile burns about 100 calories. Which is about equal to one-and-a-half chocolate biscuits :tears:

HTH, good luck to all.

Chris

Minnie, I PROMISE you FIVE fast dances at the next venue we meet at as my help to you. :kiss: :cheers: :yeah: :flower:

Minnie M
30th-July-2004, 07:07 AM
Wow and wow again - thank you so much for all your support - I truly need it every single word and Rachel :blush: what lovely things you have said about me, thank you sooooooo much

Some great tips there !

Slipped up on Wednesday :tears: went for a meal with an old friend and it started me eating naughty things (all day) :whistle: - BUT back on track again, hope I haven't done too much damage.

Was going down the gym yesterday, but had an accident with my contact lences and now have a very very sore and bloodshot eye and can't drive. I have been walking to the shops now (instead of taking the car :whistle: )

Drinking lots and lots of water and eating a low fat diet - hate weighing stuff - anyone got any choccy substitue ideas when I get a sugar fix ? (please)

ElaineB
30th-July-2004, 07:33 AM
Wow and wow again - thank you so much for all your support - I truly need it every single word and Rachel :blush: what lovely things you have said about me, thank you sooooooo much

Some great tips there !

Slipped up on Wednesday :tears: went for a meal with an old friend and it started me eating naughty things (all day) :whistle: - BUT back on track again, hope I haven't done too much damage.

Was going down the gym yesterday, but had an accident with my contact lences and now have a very very sore and bloodshot eye and can't drive. I have been walking to the shops now (instead of taking the car :whistle: )

Drinking lots and lots of water and eating a low fat diet - hate weighing stuff - anyone got any choccy substitue ideas when I get a sugar fix ? (please)

Yep!! This time of year we have plenty of fresh fruit about - so, indulge in some raspberries or strawberries! Yum! A friend of mine went on a very succesful diet - slimmed for six days at a time and took the seventh day as her 'rewards day' and ate what she wanted. Would give you something to look forward to!

Good luck with it!! :flower:

Elaine :clap: :clap:

Pammy
30th-July-2004, 09:42 AM
Chocolate Subsitute: I use raisins. For real treats, go to the health food shop and get the yoghurt coated ones (better than chocolate, but not totally low fat), otherwise just plain raisins. They have the same fast sugar hit as choccie and are great as a treat :-)

Emma
30th-July-2004, 10:51 AM
Someone told me yesterday that three slices of whoolemeal bread has more fat than a Mars Bar. Naturally I regard this as an excuse to eat more Mars Bars (if only I liked them :sick: ) but does anyone have a Mars Bar handy, so we can check the theory? :grin:

PS do not really manage diets, as eating is one of the greatest pleasures in the world. I am mainly in favour of eating healthily and exercising as much as poss (works in theory, in practice my trousers are too tight!! :rofl: )

Minnie M
30th-July-2004, 11:10 AM
........ eating is one of the greatest pleasures in the world.

:yeah: Yep - however, not enough of the healthy eating and exercise got me to the sized I am now - so beware :devil: and remeber I am at least 25 years older than most of you :tears:

Those were the old days - I've packed my fruit for today and will pick up a salad from Tescos for dinner and off to work - Band night at the Winning Post tonight if you like Rock 'n' Roll (my little part time job)

Thanks for the tips folks - (going to buy some raisins for my sugar fix)

Andy McGregor
9th-August-2004, 12:25 PM
Quiet in here...

We are still your fans Minnie, and in this heat we need as many fans as we can get.

Sparkles
9th-August-2004, 01:01 PM
Just weighed myself and am the same as I was two weeks ago (even though I've been dieting). :sad:
Please tell me the rest of you are having more luck - and words of sympathy and encouragement are always welcome!

Emma
9th-August-2004, 01:06 PM
Have you been exercising? Cos if so then you could well be building muscle, which weighs more than fat (I think someone said something about that further up)..

I always think the *best* test of whether or not the diet/exercise is working is to see if your clothes are getting looser :) (and mine aren't! :rofl: ). It might be more encouraging for you to take measurements (waist bust hips) and compare them each week, rather than weigh yourself. :hug:

Sparkles
9th-August-2004, 01:12 PM
I guess I could just chop my leg off or something - that would make me weigh less....
(yes, i know it's not funny, but I'm feeling rather dispondant). :sad:

Rhythm King
9th-August-2004, 01:17 PM
Just weighed myself and am the same as I was two weeks ago (even though I've been dieting). :sad:
Please tell me the rest of you are having more luck - and words of sympathy and encouragement are always welcome!

Sorry to hear that Sparkles, but keep trying and you will become super-svelte before too long! :drool:

MM, I cut out bread, rice, bananas, pasta and potatoes in Oct last year and use Splenda instead of sugar. I eat plenty of salad, fruit especially berries, and use butternut squash instead of potatoes and occasionally have pumpernickel instead of bread. I lose aboout a pound or two each week, but allow myself to break the diet for special occasions, or as a reward, without feeling too guilty. This weekend I passed the 4 stone lost mark, since I changed my eating habits. (See BB video last year for the "before" image - not pretty!)
Keep it up - it's worth it!!

R-K

under par
9th-August-2004, 01:18 PM
I guess I could just chop my leg off or something - that would make me weigh less....

Have a hug or 2 :hug: :hug: and maybe you'll feel a little better :hug:

Minnie M
9th-August-2004, 01:33 PM
MM, I cut out bread, rice, bananas, pasta and potatoes in Oct last year and use Splenda instead of sugar. I eat plenty of salad, fruit especially berries, and use butternut squash instead of potatoes and occasionally have pumpernickel instead of bread. I lose aboout a pound or two each week, but allow myself to break the diet for special occasions, or as a reward, without feeling too guilty. This weekend I passed the 4 stone lost mark, since I changed my eating habits. (See BB video last year for the "before" image - not pretty!)
Keep it up - it's worth it!!

4 stone :eek: that's how much I have to loose :blush: - in a year Rk ? Truly amazing :worthy: I am well impressed :worthy: - that is just the sort of encouragement I need :kiss: :hug: :flower:

Didn't loose anything this week - but have just been shopping and have taken on all those great tips you have all given me .... thanks :hug:

Good luck Sparkles - next week is a 'looser' for BOTH of us

Anyone else looking at the scales :tears:

Sparkles
9th-August-2004, 03:41 PM
Have a hug or 2 :hug: :hug: and maybe you'll feel a little better :hug:

Thank you, I feel a little brighter already :nice:

Dance Demon
9th-August-2004, 04:16 PM
I can back up Rythm Kings advice Minnie. Cutting back on the carbs will help you lose weight. Don't be tempted to go full out on Atkins though. If you eat rice, make sure it's brown, (takes ages to cook though), and if you do eat bread make sure it's wholemeal. Plenty of Green veg is also good, or you could try roast veg. Things like butternut squash, green beans, peppers, parsnips, carrots are dlicious if you roast them in a light coating of olive oil. remember also that some fats are good for you, especially the unsaturated ones. and beware the things that are "low fat"...as they tend to be low on fat, but higher in sugar, and refined sugar is the biggest culprit for putting on weight.
good luck :flower: :hug:

latinlover
9th-August-2004, 04:43 PM

woah there !
is this the Sparkles I danced withat hipsters on friday? :drool:
what's the depression all about?
I suppose if you ar uncomfortable that's one thing,but I saw no reason to be despondant ,about your weight or any other aspect of yourself! :hug: :flower: :drool:
I do find this obsession with size the depressing thing
I have two almost-out-of-teenage daughters and they are both stunning,but they are always going on about their imperfections, it drives me NUTS.
I'm sorry I don't mean to imply that this is trivial,because it clearly is not for a lot of people, but if I can offer a little bit of flattery to help enhance your self-image, you gorgeous thing, then here it is!!! :flower: :hug:

Sparkles
9th-August-2004, 05:10 PM
woah there !
is this the Sparkles I danced with at hipsters on friday? :drool:
what's the depression all about?
I suppose if you ar uncomfortable that's one thing,but I saw no reason to be despondant ,about your weight or any other aspect of yourself! :hug: :flower: :drool:
I do find this obsession with size the depressing thing
I have two almost-out-of-teenage daughters and they are both stunning,but they are always going on about their imperfections, it drives me NUTS.
I'm sorry I don't mean to imply that this is trivial,because it clearly is not for a lot of people, but if I can offer a little bit of flattery to help enhance your self-image, you gorgeous thing, then here it is!!! :flower: :hug:

It's not that I think I'm fat. I don't want to be stick thin (not that there's anything wrong with being thin, it's just not for me) but if you tried to guess how much I weigh I can garuntee you'll be a couple of stone out.
I'm heavy, and that's what gets to me. People try and do aerials with me and I get scared: I'm scared for me cos I know they'll drop me when they find out how heavy I am, and for them because they're likely to have themselves an injury. :sad: I want to lose weight so I can do all the wonderful things people like the lovely Nina do, though doubt I'll ever be that good.
Flattery when I'm feeling miserable always helps too though, so thank you :flower:

Andy McGregor
26th-November-2004, 05:50 PM
I've had a distraught 'phone call from MinnieM. She's just upgraded to Broadband and things have gone horribly wrong with her PC: pop-ups, software downloading, etc - so she's disconnected and switched off her computer.

Minnie has asked me to apologise to everyone that she's unable to send her usual email of her list. She's away for the weekend at Rythm Roit and will be back on Monday, get an expert to look at her PC and, hopefully, send out her email. She tells me that her updated list is posted on her website as she did that before installing broadband.

jockey
27th-November-2004, 02:10 AM
Thank you Andy :blush: for starting this thread I appreciate any help given, it is going to a long hard journey :hug: :kiss: :flower:
Chocolate is out of the window; reduce bread intake esp, white; you should try to eat one thing at a time e.g., macaroni cheese - but not on toast; as a pudding substitute try porridge with treacle (uhmm!) or Jordan's luxury muesli (double uhmm!) (plus banana as a special treat (!)); bean stew 'greek style' (soak butter beans, fry onion, herbs, add tin toms, pots, carrot, suede, add olive oil and boil hard till potato begins to disintegrate adding texture) - serve with fetta (sp?) cheese and salad (fantastic!!); or don't buy any food..

Dance Demon
27th-November-2004, 06:51 AM
I've had a distraught 'phone call from MinnieM. She's just upgraded to Broadband and things have gone horribly wrong with her PC: pop-ups, software downloading, etc - so she's disconnected and switched off her computer.

M.

I know the feeling. same thing happened to me when I got broadband installed. i called in the agony Smurf, and he sorted me out. Firewlls pop up stopper, AVG anti virus, ad aware. I'm relatively pop up & virus free now (oo-err missus..Pnarr Phnarr:eek: ).......hope Minnie gets it sorted coz it's a real pain.

jivecat
27th-November-2004, 01:13 PM
This is working for me;

No carbs after 5 pm. Well OK, 6 pm. Or it's a special occasion.

Eat a lot less wheat. Replace with pumpernickel, oat muesli, rice etc. Luckily, I've gone off pasta.

If I have to eat something really fattening, like a plate of chocolate brownies, Delia's recipe, I eat it for breakfast. Or at least, lunch.

No eating between meals, unless it's fruit.

I only eat a small salad of lettuce. tomato. grated carrot & dressing pre-Ceroc. NO spring onion!

Stay up late (Doing Ceroc, for example) and don't eat anything before going to bed, unless it's a piece of fruit, preferably citrus. Or a glass of water. Hopefully you will be so tired you will fall asleep despite a growling stomach.

Try not to eat after about 7 pm.

Mainly eat veg, fruit, seeds, grains, nuts, fish. What the diet Kommandant Dr Gillian McKeith says. Luckily, this does include quite a lot of nice things. For all else, see rule 3.

Never buy crisps or biscuits. Do not allow them to enter the house.

Relentless physical activity.

Have one proper, tasty, substantial meal a day, even if it is low-calorie, so you feel satisfied and not deprived. Hmm, can't quite fit rule 5 into this.

Bangers & Mash
27th-November-2004, 01:51 PM
good luck Minnie. If it helps, I managed to lose 6.5 stone in 8 months 2 years ago.

The trick I learned was that you have to really want to lose weight. I had been big since the age of 18 and had resolved myself to being "built like that".

In 2000, I became resolved to do something about it - having met somebody else who had lost 5 stone.

My regime became one of diet (atkins), with lots of exercise including gym and swimming. I qualified as a pool and beach lifeguard during my regime and was asked to represent our local leisure centre in a national rowing competition - such was my increased level of fitness.

I have put some weight back on now, but am happy with my weight and get lots of exercise dancing.

good luck

see before and after pictures below

Bangers & Mash
27th-November-2004, 01:53 PM
before and after

Northants Girly
27th-November-2004, 02:25 PM
I went out dancing last night and had a dance with someone I hadn't seen for a while

"You're getting lighter!" he said

":grin: :grin:" I thought

Then I realized he was talking about my new hair colour fading . . . . :sad:

Minnie M
30th-November-2004, 06:15 PM
I know the feeling. same thing happened to me when I got broadband installed. i called in the agony Smurf, and he sorted me out. Firewlls pop up stopper, AVG anti virus, ad aware. I'm relatively pop up & virus free now (oo-err missus..Pnarr Phnarr:eek: ).......hope Minnie gets it sorted coz it's a real pain.

Thank you for your concern - my poor laptop is still very poorly - using another PC to write this whilst mine is being looked at - silly me took the laptop in for someone to look at it and forgot the power cable - just hope the power lasts long enough for him to fix it :sad:

Went out and bought Norton's Internet special thingy with a firewall etc etc another £50 :tears:

Had an amazing weekend (you should have been there DD) might have lost weight with all the dancing, but possibly put it back with all the drinking and noshing - oh dear have only lost half a stone since I started :tears:

Have updated my list but will have to wait until I am completely virus free before updating or sending it out - sorry folks - the current web copy for December is only a draft

Dreadful Scathe
30th-November-2004, 06:54 PM
Went out and bought Norton's Internet special thingy with a firewall etc etc another £50 :tears:

There was no need - firewalls, anti-virus, microsoft office replacements, photoshop alikes are all FREE, if you know where to look. If you have a receipt, take it back :)

Andy McGregor
1st-December-2004, 03:22 AM
Then I realized he was talking about my new hair colour fading . . . . :sad:

Did you find that your ability to understand long words deminshed as your hair got blonder? :devil:

p.s. As a brunette you were lovely at Camber: if you were 30 years older, 6 stone heavier and very stupid you would want me as your stud muffin :tears:

Minnie M
9th-December-2004, 10:30 PM
There was no need - firewalls, anti-virus, microsoft office replacements, photoshop alikes are all FREE, if you know where to look. If you have a receipt, take it back :)

Wish you lived a little nearly dear Smurfman - I still yes STILL have a sick laptop - over two weeks later too :tears:

Going to a pucka shop tomorrow, can't take it any more - everyone's a techi these days and my poor baby has gone from bad to TERRIBLE ! Can't even use Word now - am using my son's PC now - have to babysit in exchange tho ! (think it may have to be re-formatted as it is in such a state - Bl**dy BT broadband)

Diet's gone down the drain with all this stress too :tears: :whistle:

Minnie M
20th-December-2004, 09:50 PM
I'm back

Got my laptop back and it's all better now - but with all the stress I have put ON 3 pounds - flippin' computers -

Missed you guys :tears: did you miss me :whistle:

Not going to worry about diets until after Christmas now, unless anyone has any good ideas of enjoying all the Christmas goodies without too many calories :really:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2004, 12:05 AM
Im not eating anything until New Year...have you any idea what they want me to wear for the hogmanay party :what:

Lynn
21st-December-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm back :clap:

Dance Demon
21st-December-2004, 12:25 AM
Im not eating anything until New Year...have you any idea what they want me to wear for the hogmanay party :what:

You think you've got problems............... :eek:

Minnie M
21st-December-2004, 12:33 AM
I EXPECT photos on Jan 2nd :clap: :drool: :cheers: :yeah:

under par
21st-December-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm back

:really:

Welcome back Lynda.

Good to see you back online. Have a great time at Christmas.
:cheers:

latinlover
21st-December-2004, 03:31 PM

:rofl: :drool: :rofl:

pictures are obligatory :devil: