PDA

View Full Version : The Hairdresser's thread (Going anywhere nice for your hols?)

Forte
27th-July-2004, 06:40 PM
So...where are we all going for our hols? I had an amazing time cycling in the south of France near Avingnon last summer and this year I am going to the island of Arran (Scotland in miniature) for four days and then flying down to Bristol to stay with relatives for two nights. Let me enjoy some vicarious pleasure by reading about your hols (near future or just past) this summer. :nice:

Nick M
27th-July-2004, 07:54 PM
flying down to Bristol to stay with relatives

Do pop in for a dance Forte, if there's anything on and if you have the time

Emma
27th-July-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm going to Glasgow :)

Gordon J Pownall
28th-July-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm going to Glasgow :)

Sailing....er....sailing and er........sailing...... :waycool:

Sparkles
28th-July-2004, 12:32 AM
Sunny Scotland :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lynn
28th-July-2004, 12:54 AM
Well last year was great - a week in Crete with an MJ theme - my first introduction to MJ. But so far this year - a conference in Coleraine next week (which I am helping to organise so hardly a holiday!) and of course Southport and BFG in Sep :clap: Sorry, not very exotic, hoping to get a week in the sun later in the year. :waycool:

Tiggerbabe
28th-July-2004, 01:00 AM
BFG in Sep :clap: Sorry, not very exotic
You're joking aren't you Lynn - how much more exotic could you get? :wink: :whistle: :clap:

Dance Demon
28th-July-2004, 08:51 AM
Already had my summer hols......way back in April :tears: .....
Had a lovely week in Los Angeles, staying on the Queen Mary 1 at Long Beach. It's now a floating Hotel, and is still in all it's 1930s art deco splendour. Then a week in sunny Las Vegas. took in the Viva Las vegas rockabilly weekender, and saw some fantastic bands, including the original Teenagers (Frankie Lymons band) and an amazing Doo Wop band from London called The Extraordinaires....they make the Jive Aces look like amateurs.. :wink: Also went io see the Grand Canyon and tried to see as much as I could on the Strip....Amazing place. Hope to go back sometime.......perhaps if my lottery Nos come up.... :rofl:

Lou
28th-July-2004, 09:13 AM
:yeah: :cheers:

Forte
28th-July-2004, 09:18 AM

How kind! I will be in the area Friday 6th and Saturday 7th August. With the non dancing fiance but he won't mind me popping in for a frantic hour if there is anything on and his brother doesn't have anything special lined up for us. Is there?

philsmove
28th-July-2004, 10:20 AM
I will be in the area Friday 6th and Saturday 7th August

This is one of the few “dead weekends” in Bristol

The following weekend is the balloon fiesta http://www.bristolfiesta.co.uk/

And a 40 s dance http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/Events_Details.htm#ELR_1940s

Sparkles
28th-July-2004, 10:52 AM
Already had my summer hols......way back in April :tears: .....
Had a lovely week in Los Angeles, staying on the Queen Mary 1 at Long Beach. It's now a floating Hotel, and is still in all it's 1930s art deco splendour. Then a week in sunny Las Vegas. took in the Viva Las vegas rockabilly weekender, and saw some fantastic bands, including the original Teenagers (Frankie Lymons band) and an amazing Doo Wop band from London called The Extraordinaires....they make the Jive Aces look like amateurs.. :wink: Also went io see the Grand Canyon and tried to see as much as I could on the Strip....Amazing place. Hope to go back sometime.......perhaps if my lottery Nos come up.... :rofl:

I'm sooooo jealous! I love Las Vegas - have been twice now. Which hotel did you stay in? If you win the lottery and decide to go back please will you take me with you??? :flower: :kiss: :hug: pretty please?!
I find that when I tell people I like Las Vegas many of them turn their noses up - without actually having been there themselves - do you find the same thing? It really annoys me! :mad:

Forte
28th-July-2004, 10:54 AM
Dead weekend in Bristol? That's what you think! I will make sure it is not dead wherever I end up.

Divissima
28th-July-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm sooooo jealous! I love Las Vegas - have been twice now. Which hotel did you stay in? If you win the lottery and decide to go back please will you take me with you??? :flower: :kiss: :hug: pretty please?!Me too - had my hols earlier this year (May). One week in Las Vegas - because a very dear friend of mine was having his wedding there. I thought I wouldn't much care for the place, but I absolutely loved it and we are already planning to go back. We explored the Strip until we were ready to drop - and took in an amazing Cirque du Soleil show.

Lory
28th-July-2004, 11:16 AM
took in an amazing Cirque du Soleil show.
I saw this 2 years ago and have booked to see it again in January at the Albert Hall!
It was the most amazing, awe inspiring show I've ever seen! :worthy: I couldn't recommend it highly enough! :clap:

Well, I've been a lucky girlie so far this year, I was in the Dominican Rep for Xmas and the New year, lovely and relaxing! Bognor in Jan, not so relaxing! :D Camber in April, Ibiza in May and Sicily in June!
AND Scotland..here we come in Sept! :clap:

Lynn
28th-July-2004, 11:33 AM
You're joking aren't you Lynn - how much more exotic could you get? :wink: :whistle: :clap: Silly me, of course! Actually I'm quite happy doing several dancing weekends away this year instead of a 'big' holiday - and then pop off for a cheap week in the Canaries in the winter.

Sparkles
28th-July-2004, 11:52 AM
and took in an amazing Cirque du Soleil show.

Did you see 'O' at the Bellagio?
I went to see that and loved it - how those people do what they do I'll never know!

Divissima
28th-July-2004, 11:59 AM
Did you see 'O' at the Bellagio?
I went to see that and loved it - how those people do what they do I'll never know!Yes, that was the show we saw. Just amazing... :waycool:

Bigger Andy
28th-July-2004, 01:17 PM
Windsurfing

I was on holiday for the last week of June and the first week of July in Kefalos on the greek island of Kos. It was a windsurfing holiday. :waycool:

The wind gods were very kind and there was only one day when I couldn't have got planing ! :D

In fact, on one day the gusts were up to Force 9 !

The trouble is that I now need another holiday to recover from all my exertions ! :devil:

If anyone else out there is interested in windsurfing then I would recommend that they visit Kefalos.

Lynn
28th-July-2004, 03:07 PM
Sort of off topic, but I phoned my hairdressers today - have been for ages - to be told that my usual stylist no longer works there! :tears: Been going to her for years, she was really good - what am I going to do! :tears:

Lou
28th-July-2004, 03:53 PM
The following weekend is the balloon fiesta http://www.bristolfiesta.co.uk/
Yup - I'll be there, as usual, for the Saturday 6am launch :grin:

Forte
28th-July-2004, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Lynn]Sort of off topic, but I phoned my hairdressers today -

:rofl: :worthy: You are off topic arent'cha! :clap: What a woman!

Dance Demon
28th-July-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm sooooo jealous! I love Las Vegas - have been twice now. Which hotel did you stay in? If you win the lottery and decide to go back please will you take me with you??? :flower: :kiss: :hug: pretty please?!
I find that when I tell people I like Las Vegas many of them turn their noses up - without actually having been there themselves - do you find the same thing? It really annoys me! :mad:

Stayed in the Orleans, and the Rockabilly weekender was in it's sister Hotel the Gold Coast. I found it fascinating how this amazing place seems to just be plonked right in the middle of the Sierra Nevada mountains, in the middle of the desert. The strip is an amazing place, as is Freemont Street. It's one of the few places that I have been on holiday to that I would definately want to go back to. ( If I win the lottery, i will ask Mrs Demon if we can take you too sparkles
:D )

Sparkles
29th-July-2004, 12:09 PM
( If I win the lottery, i will ask Mrs Demon if we can take you too sparkles
:D )

:hug: :clap: :flower:
Thank you!!!

I found it fascinating how this amazing place seems to just be plonked right in the middle of the Sierra Nevada mountains, in the middle of the desert.

The thing that amazed me was how much water there is about! Every hotel seems to have a lake or a fountain, and there are swimming pools galore! For somewhere that, as you say, is in the middle of the desert I found it astounding! Can't wait to go back - but it won't be for a good few years yet :sad:. I went down the Grand Canyon too - and flew over it and stood on the edge and on the bottom (my Mum's a little obsessed :sick: ). It was awesome!
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself - you'll have to show me your holiday snaps sometime! :cheers:

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 01:12 PM
I've had - or have lined up - some great holidays this year. All of them long weekends based around dance events:

Jan - Bognor
March - chance 2 dance
April - Camber
May - Southport
May - Aberdeen
July - Isle of Wight
Aug - Scottish comp
Sept - Southport
Sept - BFG
Nov - Camber
Jan - Rock Bottoms Torquay.

And with all that, money and holiday allowance from work is completely used up. No better way to spend your holiday though, huh?!!

Rachel

Lynn
29th-July-2004, 01:21 PM
And with all that, money and holiday allowance from work is completely used up. No better way to spend your holiday though, huh?!! Sounds like a great line up and lovely to have lots of little breaks like that.

Sort of off topic, but I phoned my hairdressers today - have been for ages - to be told that my usual stylist no longer works there! :tears: Been going to her for years, she was really good - what am I going to do! :tears: Just called into a local salon and got an appointment for tomorrow! :clap: So when the hairdresser asks me, I will say Southport and Scotland!

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a great line up and lovely to have lots of little breaks like that. Oh yes! I've got something 'big' to look forward to just about every month, which is great.

Look forward to seeing you again at Southport, Lynn!
Rachel

stewart38
2nd-August-2004, 09:33 AM

Ive been to Las Vegas many time and stay at the Monte Carlo but I usually get free accomedation so thats indicative of my spending habits ! If you work the comps it can be cheap and Ive even skied 30 miles from vegas and you can scuba dive with 30 miles in the near by dams (not recommended !)

Next week Ill fly to New York and drive south along Atlantic coast probably down to South Carolina. If ceroc ever did a ski/scuba dance holiday in one that would be great !

Bigger Andy
17th-August-2004, 01:05 PM
Is it true that the favourite activity of hairdressers is to ...

... stand on the pavement at lunchtime pointing a
hair dryer at passing cars to see if they slow down ?

:devil:

jivecat
17th-August-2004, 02:52 PM
I've been kicking myself that I didn't book onto Beach Boogie. As a school teacher I have a lot of time to fill up in the summer!

Just got back from 10 days camping in Cornwall (escaped before the floods) where I unwisely allowed someone to take me sea-cliff climbing, something I haven't done for 10 years. And boy, did it make me feel old & creaky. It was strange to be back in the world of people who eat, sleep, breathe and only find life's meaning in the activity of climbing. I do feel a bit of a pull back towards it but there's probably only room in my life for one majorly obsessive hobby- and what could that possibly be?

And after a solid diet of pasties and cream it's going to take weeks of starvation to get back to my dancing weight.