PDA

View Full Version : The Big Love Show

Divissima
26th-July-2004, 01:38 PM
I wanted to post something about this show even though it has now been and gone :tears:

So here it is - part explanation, part thanks and part apologies....

Around 60 dancers agreed to take part in the show which was to be the opening night cabaret for Beach Boogie. So we turned up eager for action on the Isle of Wight last Wednesday night, not really knowing what was in store for us. The whole show was choreographed and rehearsed from scratch between Thursday morning and the performance on Saturday night - a truly awesome achievement. The intensity of the experience (including rehearsals after tea on Thursday and Friday evenings from 9.30 to 11pm) had us referring to it as Beach Boot Camp! :wink: I seem to remember Peter telling me on Friday evening that he reckoned his group had each done around 180 aerial moves that day :worthy:

We think we might have made history - the first show ever to include hip hop (Adam & Tas's group), modern jive (Nigel & Nina's group), tango (Amir's group) and lindy (Andy & Rena's group) choreography. Not sure how to describe Tor's piece - it was persussion, a bit like Stomp. And then HevMate choreographed the finale (in which we all had to sing :eek: ) and encore (charlston). All in all forty minutes of dancing - Will and Kate as the lead couple and Mick Wenger as the bad guy (boo hiss).

I would like to thank all the choreographers and all the dancers who made it such an awesome experience. It was hard work, but very rewarding. And I have enormous amounts of respect for all the performers - especially those doing things that I could not imagine ever being able to do myself.

And apologies to those lovely Forumites who arrived for Beach Boogie on Saturday and saw the show, who I didn't manage to dance with after the show was over. I was just exhausted :blush:

It was a real delight to meet DS at last, together with the lovely Mrs Smurf. I'm back at work today, tired and a bit sore in parts, envious of those who are just starting their week at Beach Boogie. Can't wait to see the video!

Jayne
26th-July-2004, 01:54 PM
Hello fellow Beach Bootcampers!

Wasn't that a fab few days??!! :clap: Tiring - but fab nonetheless! I am *still* "singing" the song for the finale... :blush:

Has anyone got any photos of the event? I took some but they're still trapped inside the camera on an unfinished film. :tears:

Anyway, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all of the teachers for all of their hard work & patience during rehearsals - especially Amir :worthy: :clap:. Special mention also to Tor for organising the whole event :worthy:. And, of course, the entire cast deserve a big pat on the back for their dedication to the cause during rehearsals. And finally, many thanks to my wonderful partner ChrisA for putting up with me! :flower: :hug:

Here's hoping that we get to perform it again sometime soon - and raise lots of money for charity in the process! :clap:

J :nice:

Divissima
26th-July-2004, 01:59 PM
It was indeed an awesome experience. And enormous respect to all those who choreographed the show, and danced the choreography so amazingly.

'We go together, like do-wop-de-dooby-dooby..."

Peter
26th-July-2004, 02:01 PM
What more to say ... other than thanks to Nigel & Nina - what a stunning routine ... but doing more than 200 lifts in two days is knackering ...

Cath reckons it's easy for the guy - all we need to do is stand around underneath whilst the girls do all the work ... I'm not sure what she thinks she does during a bar lift ...

and thanks to Hev ... the finale looked fantastic, especially the stunning heart ...

Jayne
26th-July-2004, 02:03 PM
'We go together, like do-wop-de-dooby-dooby..."
But our line was "Remember forever, as shoowop, shoowally, wally, yippity, boom-de-boom"....

J :wink:

Divissima
26th-July-2004, 02:07 PM
But our line was "Remember forever, as shoowop, shoowally, wally, yippity, boom-de-boom"....Aaahhhhh. Now that would explain a lot :really: :wink:

Sparkles
26th-July-2004, 04:10 PM
Pictures? Video? Pleeeeease!
I'm so jealous at not being able to go to Beach Boogie this year - surely someone has some pics of the goings-on down there for me?

Jayne
27th-July-2004, 09:08 AM
So where are the photos? :puppy dog eyes:

J :tears:

ChrisA
27th-July-2004, 06:21 PM
So where are the photos?
Well I seem to have a couple... :devil: :devil:

See what happens when you take a couple of minutes off?

We certainly didn't sit down very much after that... :whistle:

ChrisA
27th-July-2004, 06:35 PM
Oooh look another one...

Wonder who it is who's determined to look completely coordinated with her rather gorgeous flipflops...

And they did match, of course...

:flower:

ChrisA
27th-July-2004, 06:40 PM
Not that he's worried in any way about the quality of the accommodation...

:devil: :devil: :really: :whistle:

Divissima
27th-July-2004, 07:47 PM
Oooh look another one...

Wonder who it is who's determined to look completely coordinated with her rather gorgeous flipflops...

And they did match, of course...

:flower:Yes, but what about the shoes?! :devil:

Divissima
27th-July-2004, 07:48 PM
Not that he's worried in any way about the quality of the accommodation...

:devil: :devil: :really: :whistle:He wasn't the only one. There were dust mites in that chalet from the Jurassic period :sick:

ChrisA
27th-July-2004, 07:52 PM
Yes, but what about the shoes?! :devil:
The shoes were fab.

The gorgeous flipflops, of course, are perfectly coordinated with anything...

... or nothing :devil:

Divissima
27th-July-2004, 07:52 PM
Rob C (aka Dance Genius :worthy: ) mentioned he had taken photos of the show itself. But he's still down at Beach Boogie for the rest of the week so we shall have to be patient :tears:

Divissima
27th-July-2004, 07:55 PM
The shoes were fab.

... or nothing :devil: :really: Just you wait til Jayne reads this :devil:

ChrisA
27th-July-2004, 08:05 PM
:really: Just you wait til Jayne reads this :devil:

:confused:

Huh?

I'm talking about Jayne's gorgeous flipflops. She got them free with a copy of Cosmo she bought recently. They're pink, and go with anything. And nothing - they even look Ok in the hall, apparently.

Your flipflops were very nice too. Went very well with the nails ISTR.

:innocent: :waycool:

Divissima
27th-July-2004, 08:38 PM

Huh?

I'm talking about Jayne's gorgeous flipflops. She got them free with a copy of Cosmo she bought recently. They're pink, and go with anything. And nothing - they even look Ok in the hall, apparently.I worry about you sometimes:rofl:

Your flipflops were very nice too. Went very well with the nails ISTR.

:innocent: :waycool::hug:

Jayne
28th-July-2004, 09:22 AM
The shoes were fab.

... or nothing :devil:

:really: Just you wait til Jayne reads this :devil:

ChrisA: :slap:

Has anyone got a photo of the heart? Not that I'm impatient or anything...

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 11:32 AM
Bit late, I know, but wasn't that an amazing weekend!!! It was sooo worth going down for the show. Doing the tango bit and watching Claire & Toby/Chris & Jayne dance it so beautifully has really inspired me to want to learn it more. I was, of course, helped so much by my wonderful partner, David Martin, who could lead me expertly even when I completely forgot what I was supposed to be doing.

Amir was absolutely amazing for managing to teach us - particularly us novices - such a good routine. And for constantly remaining so relaxed and laid back - even when we kept going wrong! He was brilliant for giving us all those performance techniques, too - even if I couldn't manage to stay off the alcohol ... and Claire and Toby might have had trouble abstaining from, um, well, some of the other things!!!

Hev, Tor and the whole team deserve huge admiration and thanks for organising and putting it all together. I really don't know how they managed to do all that, and then have the energy for the Beach Boogie week afterwards.

I've been absolutely exhausted ever since, and have been getting into work progressively later each day because of being so shattered. Marc is only just learning to walk again after all his acrobatics in the hip hop section - I never even knew he could do all that stuff - so proud of him!

I can't wait to see the video - all the acts were so good, I can't decide which one I'm looking forward to seeing most.

I'm just so sorry not to have been able to stay for the week. Meeting Bill, Fran, DS, Fi, Grant and so many others there who were just arriving for the week made it so hard to leave! But I'm sure they're all having a brilliant time - please post some accounts of the week when you all get back so we can at least enjoy it vicariously.
Rachel

Peter
29th-July-2004, 12:05 PM
... Marc is only just learning to walk again after all his acrobatics in the hip hop section - I never even knew he could do all that stuff - so proud of him!

They are great moves ... I'm so jealous .. I wish I could do them ..

Rachel
29th-July-2004, 12:42 PM
They are great moves ... I'm so jealous .. I wish I could do them .. Me too!!!
R x

Divissima
29th-July-2004, 08:30 PM
Amir was absolutely amazing for managing to teach us - particularly us novices - such a good routine. Oh my god! I didn't realise you were a novice at tango, Rachel. You looked like you'd been doing it for years. :worthy:

And for constantly remaining so relaxed and laid back - even when we kept going wrong! He was brilliant for giving us all those performance techniques, too - even if I couldn't manage to stay off the alcohol ... and Claire and Toby might have had trouble abstaining from, um, well, some of the other things!!!That's right... It would be great to be clean-living like a top athlete, but we'll never give up our cup of tea before bedtime :D

I can't believe it's already a week ago - can't wait to see the video :waycool:

Divissima
2nd-August-2004, 12:35 PM
Anyone from the returning BB crowd got some good photos to share with us?

Pretty please :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-August-2004, 12:42 PM
hope its alright to post this....http://linz.webspace.fish.co.uk/

Divissima
2nd-August-2004, 12:53 PM
Thank you, DS. Those are fab :waycool:

TheTramp
2nd-August-2004, 01:00 PM
Cool photos DS :clap:

Trampy

Tor
2nd-August-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi Big Lovers, We're back from Boot Camp, Andy will crack on with the DVD of the Show - I'll be whipping him into action. I'll keep you posted when it is finished.
Thanks for all the lovely comments, it was fab to come back and read all your reviews. Sounds like the aerials were killers! But so worth it, you all looked amazing - can't wait to see you all again, we really missed you when Beach Boogie started for real, it was a tad flat for the first few days. Maybe see some of you on Friday.
Huge thanks again for all working so incredibly hard and for indulging my mad whim.
xx

Tor
2nd-August-2004, 01:03 PM
Sorry me again, if Peter can get his copy of the Show to us Andy will get them onto DVD by the end of the week. Any chance Peter?

Shona
2nd-August-2004, 01:24 PM
Great photos DS, brought back some very funny memories. :rofl:
Had to go back to work today, but can't wipe the smile off my face from such a good holiday, am definitely going back next year.
Wanted to thank all at Beach Boogie for making it such a fun week, made some good friends, and had the most fabulous dances. :clap:

Shona xx.

Sal
2nd-August-2004, 01:37 PM
As Shona's partner in crime for the week, I would like to echo her comments. We had a fantastic week, with some amazing dances, and are counting down the days till next year! Special mention must go to the forumites who, on the first day, removed us from our wallflower postion to join in their party! Thanks, Guys!

under par
2nd-August-2004, 02:37 PM
hope its alright to post this....http://linz.webspace.fish.co.uk/

Photos excellent!! :cheers: Looks like you all had a great time :yeah:

RobC
2nd-August-2004, 02:47 PM
What can I say - fantastic performance from everyone involved in the Big Love Show. :worthy:

I took a number of photos during the performance (hope the continuous camera flashes didn't put people off :blush: ) but haven't had a chance to get them off my camera yet (only just made it back into the land of the living). Hopefully later this evening I will get a chance to upload them onto my website, when I will post a link to it from this thread. I am also planning to send a copy of them to Andy. I'm not sure what his plans are for the DVD yet, but you might end up with a slide show of photos or something on there too.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-August-2004, 02:52 PM
Nice to speak to you on the day Rob. I should point out that the mirror you're looking at in your avatar seems to be faulty (im sure many have pointed this out, but i was away :) )

The pictures were taken by Lindsay by the way - not me.

Peter
2nd-August-2004, 09:21 PM
Sorry me again, if Peter can get his copy of the Show to us Andy will get them onto DVD by the end of the week. Any chance Peter?

No problem xxx

RobC
3rd-August-2004, 01:51 AM
As promised, you can see the photos I took at Beach Boogie here (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/bb04/index.html).

Andy McGregor
3rd-August-2004, 03:56 AM
I should point out that the mirror you're looking at in your avatar seems to be faulty (im sure many have pointed this out, but i was away :) )

Funnily enough, nobody else has noticed this. The mirror is one of those magic ones that makes you look more attractive - the problem is that the dial wasn't turned to "More attractive to Women" :tears:

Peter
3rd-August-2004, 08:07 AM
As promised, you can see the photos I took at Beach Boogie here (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/bb04/index.html).

Great pics, thanks Rob ...

Divissima
3rd-August-2004, 08:33 AM
Rob, those photos are just fantastic :waycool: Thank you so much for posting them up :flower: Brings back some great memories - that wig!:wink:

Lory
3rd-August-2004, 09:59 AM
I've just looked at the pics and oh how I wished I could have been there :tears: you all looked like you had SOOO much fun. :D

There were only a very few faces I didn't recognise aswell.

Rachel
3rd-August-2004, 10:22 AM
Rob, those photos are just fantastic :waycool: Thank you so much for posting them up :flower: Brings back some great memories - that wig!:wink: :yeah: Thanks, Rob! - Rachel

Rhythm King
3rd-August-2004, 11:04 AM
Great Pics, Rob and DS, good to see you there. No doubt be seeing you both again soon.

R-K

Mary
12th-October-2004, 11:36 AM
OK, time to resurrect this thread. All you people who missed this show at Beach Boogie will now have an opportunity of seeing it and help raise money for a very worthwhile charity - as well as having 4 hours of freestyle in a massive, fab venue.

Go check out the link on the Rockbottoms website - Jon Brett has done a 'behind the scenes' bit about the show as well as giving all the relevant details and booking info.

The performance is on Saturday 30th October in Horsham (near Gatwick), and the whole evening promises to be a blast for only £10 a head. You can buy tickets from Tor at Rockbottoms or any of the cast members and choreographers .

M

Graham W
15th-October-2004, 02:54 PM
I wanted to post something about this show even though it has now been and gone :tears:

So here it is - part explanation, part thanks and part apologies....

Around 60 dancers agreed to take part in the show which was to be the opening night cabaret for Beach Boogie. So we turned up eager for action on the Isle of Wight last Wednesday night, not really knowing what was in store for us. The whole show was choreographed and rehearsed from scratch between Thursday morning and the performance on Saturday night - a truly awesome achievement. The intensity of the experience (including rehearsals after tea on Thursday and Friday evenings from 9.30 to 11pm) had us referring to it as Beach Boot Camp! :wink: I seem to remember Peter telling me on Friday evening that he reckoned his group had each done around 180 aerial moves that day :worthy:

We think we might have made history - the first show ever to include hip hop (Adam & Tas's group), modern jive (Nigel & Nina's group), tango (Amir's group) and lindy (Andy & Rena's group) choreography. Not sure how to describe Tor's piece - it was persussion, a bit like Stomp. And then HevMate choreographed the finale (in which we all had to sing :eek: ) and encore (charlston). All in all forty minutes of dancing - Will and Kate as the lead couple and Mick Wenger as the bad guy (boo hiss).

I would like to thank all the choreographers and all the dancers who made it such an awesome experience. It was hard work, but very rewarding. And I have enormous amounts of respect for all the performers - especially those doing things that I could not imagine ever being able to do myself.

And apologies to those lovely Forumites who arrived for Beach Boogie on Saturday and saw the show, who I didn't manage to dance with after the show was over. I was just exhausted :blush:

It was a real delight to meet DS at last, together with the lovely Mrs Smurf. I'm back at work today, tired and a bit sore in parts, envious of those who are just starting their week at Beach Boogie. Can't wait to see the video!

Ah, I c this show is old news not debuting in oct hence my threads being zapped - nice of u tell me ed. - hope it goes well - might go 4 the Brett freestyle alone..

Divissima
15th-October-2004, 03:08 PM
Ah, I c this show is old news not debuting in oct hence my threads being zapped - nice of u tell me ed. - hope it goes well - might go 4 the Brett freestyle alone..It is going to be a fantastic night - I've seen the DVD of the first performance now, and I can honestly say it's very impressive (although all I seem to focus on in our scene is the mistakes I'm making :tears: ). There are several forumites performing and we would all love to see loads of others cheering us on. Get there early to see the show!! The freestyle will be fantastic too - JB and guests, including the gorgeous TwK.

RobC
15th-October-2004, 04:23 PM
There are several forumites performing and we would all love to see loads of others cheering us on. Get there early to see the show!!
I'll be there with my camera again. :nice:

Graham W
26th-October-2004, 05:14 PM
It is going to be a fantastic night - I've seen the DVD of the first performance now, and I can honestly say it's very impressive (although all I seem to focus on in our scene is the mistakes I'm making :tears: ). There are several forumites performing and we would all love to see loads of others cheering us on. Get there early to see the show!! The freestyle will be fantastic too - JB and guests, including the gorgeous TwK.

okay D -

I am writing a little something myself so may be 'inspired'

Unlikely but if anyone would like a lift let me know - en route from bristol.(m4)
Could do with petrol money...

G

Divissima
28th-October-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm really looking forward to this - it's going to be a great night on Saturday. Tickets still available and I think there will also be some available on the door....

Rhythm King
28th-October-2004, 12:08 PM
Tickets will be available on the door, but are much cheaper in advance. You can book tickets to be left on the door, for collection on the night.
I'm really looking forward to it as well, and hope to see and dance with as many as possible of you on the night. :clap: :cheers:

Mary
28th-October-2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah, looking forward to some great dances - if I'm not too cream crackered by then!!! Should be a great night, and looking forward to seeing lots of faces. :clap:

M

Andy McGregor
28th-October-2004, 01:12 PM
Tickets will be available on the door, but are much cheaper in advance. You can book tickets to be left on the door, for collection on the night.
I'm really looking forward to it as well, and hope to see and dance with as many as possible of you on the night. :clap: :cheers:

On Tuesday at Hipsters Nigel told us that they'd sold 500 tickets and the capacity is 600 - so it would be worth booking just to be sure.

One other thing, this hall is the one used for the filming of Harry Potter so you'd better be careful which tree you choose to park your flying cars.

Gareth
28th-October-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi Guys,
Could someone please give me directions from Bristol. Four of us have tickets.

See you Soon

Gareth

Rhythm King
28th-October-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi Guys,
Could someone please give me directions from Bristol. Four of us have tickets.

See you Soon

Gareth

Directions and a useful map are here (http://www.jivelive.com/rockbottoms/biglove/bl6.htm)

R-K

Andy McGregor
28th-October-2004, 01:39 PM
Christ's Hospital is a huge private school. It's easy to find too. You get off the M25 at the Dorking junction (junction 9) and follow the A24 South. Christs Hospital is signposted from the A24.

I've pasted below the directions from the school website which recommeds the M23 off the M25, but I would recommend junction 9 of the M25 if you're travelling from the West and junction 7 of the M25 if you're coming from the east.

From the M25 take junction 7 to Gatwick, Crawley and Brighton on the M23. Come off the M23 at junction 11 and follow the signs for the A264 to Horsham. Stay on the A264, until it joins the A24. Join the A24 going south to Worthing. At the Hop Oast roundabout take the first exit sign posted B2237 Horsham and Christ's Hospital. At the Boars Head Tavern turn left into Tower Hill. Continue along Tower Hill and under the by-pass bridge. Take the next turning right and follow the signs for the main entrance to Christ's Hospital.

From the M27/A27 coast road take the A24 turning from Worthing towards Horsham and London. Continue along the A24, until you reach the Hop Oast Roundabout (distance of approx 18 miles). At this roundabout take the third exit sign posted B2237 Horsham and Christ's Hospital. At the Boars Head Tavern turn left into Tower Hill. Continue along Tower Hill and under the by-pass bridge. Take the next turning right and follow the signs for the main entrance to Christ's Hospital.

The website is here (http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/)

Gareth
28th-October-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys :hug:

Gareth

Sparkles
28th-October-2004, 09:40 PM
Yeah, looking forward to some great dances - if I'm not too cream crackered by then!!! Should be a great night, and looking forward to seeing lots of faces. :clap:

M

Save one for me? :blush: :waycool:
Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday! :cheers:
S. x

Jayne
29th-October-2004, 04:41 PM
Good luck to everyone in the Big Love Show tomorrow (aka Beach Bootcamp 2 :wink: )!

Hope to see lots of forumites at the party afterwards to, errm, chat to. (I'd say 'dance with' but I'm a big wuss & reckon I'll be dead on my feet by then!! :rofl: )

Break a leg!

Will
29th-October-2004, 04:53 PM
It's gonna be great to all be back together again tomorrow. Gonna prepare for tomorrow by eating some Antipasta tonight. Got to say I'm looking forward to my large Pepperoni Feast Pizza that Tor is getting me tomorrow.

:drool:

Romeo

Divissima
29th-October-2004, 05:22 PM
It's gonna be great to all be back together again tomorrow. Gonna prepare for tomorrow by eating some Antipasta tonight. Got to say I'm looking forward to my large Pepperoni Feast Pizza that Tor is getting me tomorrow.

:drool:

RomeoThat's not enough, Romeo.

You've got to eat it twice :wink:

Hmm, that sounds very rude :really: :devil:

Minnie M
31st-October-2004, 01:14 AM
Just got in - OK night, bit disappointed with the dancing, so many good dancers there but the atmosphere wasn't quite right :confused:

Cabaret was great - total respect to the tango dancers :worthy: ChrisA + Jayne and Divissima + Toby - they looked great :flower:

Had a lovely dance with GrahamW (my first) :hug: and a silly dance with Marc

Going to watch Strictly Dancing now :whistle:

Sparkles
31st-October-2004, 03:29 AM
Only just in from the BLS, and VERY tired now, but just wanted to say congrats to Tor :worthy: and the crew for a fab show (just a shame it was hard to see it all from behind the huge crowds :tears: ). Still, huge crowds means lots of money for charity - almost £5000 apparently :clap: :clap: :clap:!
Extra special thank you to my charming chauffeur for the evening and to David B for *the* most amazing last dance :flower:
S. x

Minnie M
31st-October-2004, 10:31 AM
..../snip/....... congrats to Tor :worthy: and the crew for a fab show ..........lots of money for charity - almost £5000 .......

(wonder who gave the £2000 cheque )

well after a good night's sleep, realised should have added above :flower: they did an amazing job - all credit to ALL of them :worthy:

BTW just remembered Rachel & Marc were in the Tango thingy too :worthy: - just loved that part of the cabaret

Looked at the line-up on the flyer were ALL the people on the flyer there ? Was difficult to recognise some of them due to the costumes AND the people that should have been sitting on the chairs standing :mad: OR even worse standing ON their chairs (sorry benches) - (wonder what Harry Potter would have done about it)

BTW apparently they had the largest painting in Europe hanging on the inner wall of the hall (wonder how many people noticed that)

Andy McGregor
31st-October-2004, 01:33 PM
BTW apparently they had the largest painting in Europe hanging on the inner wall of the hall (wonder how many people noticed that?)

I had a long chat with the lady sat next to me about that painting, and a game of i-spy. We had to do something as we couldn't see the show at all, we saw some flags, a few times I saw someone from the chest up in the one small gap that occasionally appeared between the couples swaying on the benches trying to see the show and I occasionally glimpsed the dancers smiling faces when they did a jump - but that was it :tears: I'm so pleased it was a charity event. If it had been a commercial event I would have asked for my money back as eye-lines of the audience had been completely ignored and I didn't see the show I'd paid to see. I think that from 3 or 4 rows back in the rows of benches the audience were almost completely unsighted. The show must have been fab for the people that could see it, people were clapping and whooping at many points - but, as the woman next to me said, I'm not clapping like a lemming, I haven't a clue what they're applauding :mad:

After the second act I went to stand up at the back. Doing that meant I could see the dancers from the chest up. Better, but still not good enough for me to appreciate the performance at all. Everyone did have nice smiles and Amir's arm movements were very crisp - but that's all I really saw.

Considering the work that went into the performance there could have been some more (any?) consideration of the eye-lines of the audience. The most obvious thing would have been to have the whole audience sat on the floor with some people standing up at the back and the sides. This was done for the 300 people at the Hipsters Christmas dance and worked fine - why wasn't it done last night?

I'm sorry that I can't write a rave review of the Big Love Show but I simply haven't seen it yet. People put a lot of work into it and seemed to be enjoying themselves. How disappointed must they be that the majority of the audience couldn't even see their well-rehearsed footwork and a significant section of the audience couldn't even see them from the waist up :tears:

I'm posting this in a constructive manner and I hope that the organisers learn from this event and put someone in charge of sorting out the seating/viewing of the audience for the next performance.

After the disappointment of not seeing the show I felt quite low and considered going home for an early night. I'm glad I didn't :clap: I had some fab dances with people I haven't seen for ages. JB played his usual mix of phat tunes: I had a ball and stayed 'til the end. I'd have liked to have danced 'til dawn just to have got around everyone I wanted to have a dance with.

Jive Masters tonight - I'm sure I'll be able to see everything :whistle:

Gareth
31st-October-2004, 01:33 PM
Dave brought his GPS guidance system with him last night so finding the love show was no problem. Except Mavis as we dubbed the female voice had a bad habit of going quiet (probably having a tea break) at critical minutes in built up areas :rofl: Not good when you don`t know what lane your meant to be in. Even told us to take a right turn on the motorway lol.

What a fab night :waycool:

Although could`nt see half the show because seating was bad. School benches meant that everyone was the same height and only the front row could see properly. I started off with Andy McGregor sitting in front of me and blocking out all the light :wink: Even he could`nt see.............He did make it up to me by dancing a Tango impersonation of Will and Kate :rofl: The crowd seemed to like it ........move over Will :whistle:

But it was obvious the talent and the amount of time involved was phenominal :worthy:

It was like being in a candy shop :) So many good Dancers. A big thank you to Jane (Daisy Chain), Katrina, Celia (if thats how you spell it) and Rachel for the fab dances.There were so many names I`ve forgotten and so many more I wanted to dance with, I only got to talk with Divissiama. I did go in search of Sparkles but alas to no avail. Minn

My poor feet.......we danced till one, the night before and got to bed @ three. This morning we got home about four :tears:

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole event and what a fantastic venue ........wow!!!

David Franklin
31st-October-2004, 02:00 PM
The most obvious thing would have been to have the whole audience sat on the floor with some people standing up at the back and the sides. This was done for the 300 people at the Hipsters Christmas dance and worked fine - why wasn't it done last night?I guess the most obvious reason would have been the relatively large number of "muggles", who probably would have baulked at sitting on the floor. Plus the show was unusually long compared with typical cabarets, which again makes floor seating problematic.

But yes, the sight lines were a real problem - I was glad I'd seen the first segment previously, as the "floor work" parts were completely invisible. And I was in the 3rd row - if you were much further back it must have been really difficult.

I also have the impression that a LOT more people arrived than expected - heck, they ran out of beer after only an hour. I mean - how can you run out of beer? :cheers:

Dave

Andy McGregor
31st-October-2004, 02:20 PM
I guess the most obvious reason would have been the relatively large number of "muggles", who probably would have baulked at sitting on the floor. Plus the show was unusually long compared with typical cabarets, which again makes floor seating problematic.

Sitting on a hard wooden floor and seeing a great show

vs

sitting on a hard wooden bench and seeing some flags waving and hearing people clapping and cheering things you couldn't see

=

no contest ...

Minnie M
31st-October-2004, 02:44 PM
....... Minn........

Love the avatar David - is that you and your lovely wife :worthy:

Zebra Woman
31st-October-2004, 03:08 PM

Love the avatar David - is that you and your lovely wife :worthy: :yeah: Crazy avatar!! :clap: :clap:

She's gonna really slide in a minute......

well soon.....

yeah, not long now.....

anitaL
31st-October-2004, 03:14 PM
I was very lucky to have got a seat in the second row back so could see almost everything--it was very enjoyable. Also very lucky to have arrived with 2 excellent male dancers,(Graham W are you reading this!), so I got lots of great dances even though there were far more women than men at the freestyle. I only had one unpleasant dance with a very arrogant man who I suppose would be described as a 'hotshot' but as someone reassured me, he was the one with the problem ,not me. As we came all the way from Bristol we only got home after 4 am but it was well worth it. :nice:

David Franklin
31st-October-2004, 04:18 PM

Love the avatar David - is that you and your lovely wife :worthy:Yeah - was just mucking about with some GIF animator software...

Dave

RobC
31st-October-2004, 05:24 PM
Jive Masters tonight - I'm sure I'll be able to see everything :whistle:
And if you can't, I heard a rumour that someone might be making a video of the event.... :wink:

TheTramp
31st-October-2004, 05:26 PM
And even if you can't see, you can vote anyhow. Can't he Gordon?? :whistle:

Trampy

Andy McGregor
31st-October-2004, 05:27 PM
And even if you can't see, you can vote anyhow. Can't he Gordon?? :whistle:

Trampy
:rofl: :whistle:

Gareth
31st-October-2004, 11:53 PM
....... Minn........

Sorry Minnie, I was meant to write, that I will have to ask GrahamW to point you out to me :nice:

Sparkles
1st-November-2004, 02:12 AM
Dave F, surely you must be getting dizzy by now??? :really:

Gareth - please come and find me for a dance next time, I don't know what you look like so don't know who to go in search of. Sorry I missed you though.:flower:

Minnie M
1st-November-2004, 02:21 AM
Yeah - was just mucking about with some GIF animator software...

Dave

Wow ! the lastest avatar is even better :clap: :worthy: :yeah:

Lounge Lizard
1st-November-2004, 11:22 AM
I could not be at the 'Big Love Show' cos of a prior booking in North Wales
but
I have been asked to DJ the same big hall for a MJ dance in 2005, so any feedback on set up for sound and lighting would be great, I will be talking to JB but often the dancers have a different opinion on what is a good or bad set up

Any feedback on this venue would be welcome.

I have already had two phone calls ons saying sound system was great, the other saying it was the opposite,
I was talking to a sound engineer over the weekend which helped plus have a fair idea on how to set it up, but we never know till we plug it in and turn it on....which is often about halfd hour before the dancers arrive!!!

I am trying to gear myself for getting the sound system just right for large accousticly un-friendly venues, cos as MJ gets bigger in the uk so do the dance venues with large sports halls often being considered - these places are relativly cheap to hire but can sound pretty bad - I i ntend to have a surround sound set up with speakers around the dance area - so feedback/help/advice welcome either on open forum or pm
LL

Minnie M
1st-November-2004, 01:20 PM
Sorry Minnie, I was meant to write, that I will have to ask GrahamW to point you out to me :nice:

I will have to ask Andy McG to point you out to me - would love to meet you and have that dance :flower: (BTW - had a fabby dance with GrahamW on Sat) - better dance with you before Sparkles get to you so you wont be disappointed :eek:

Graham W
1st-November-2004, 05:30 PM
I saw show but then my lift left about 15 hours in advance :-) so got to front & probably annoyed those behind..

as a charity event the show was fine - loved Rena's under the legs move..
some nice dancing..

& 'Divissma' wins the widest smile award..

G

...cheers for compliments..Minnie u were gr8 to such a fast trck..

I thought the sound was fine LL though I mostly danced in front of hall..

Andy McGregor
1st-November-2004, 06:57 PM
The sound was fine if you were at the front of the hall. From half-way down the hall the sound had an echo rather like you hear at an airfield when announcements come out of speakers placed a long way apart. That was because there was a 2nd pair of speakers placed half-way down the room facing the back of the hall. I've already looked into this with a sound engineer and you need some kind of gadget to get the speakers in phase with each other. There's a device that you put in the circuit that makes the speakers click. You can hear two clicks when the signal reaches all of the speakers at the same time as sound travels slower than electricity. You then adjust the timing of the signal to each speaker until you only hear one click. Sounds easy enough but I'll be you need a degree to actually get it right.

jockey
1st-November-2004, 08:35 PM
:clap: Most of the people I spoke to noted the large number of good dancers at Big Love and they all thought the venue was brilliant (I know Tor is a fastidious chooser of venues and she has come up with another cracker). I spread myself about as usual and particularly enjoyed dancing with spiky blonde from Ealing, Spanish from Ealing, Daisy (as ever), Girl from Woking, et al. Huge success and congrats performers.

Gareth
1st-November-2004, 09:13 PM
Gareth - please come and find me for a dance next time, I don't know what you look like so don't know who to go in search of. Sorry I missed you though.

I asked Divissima what you looked like and she said you were wearing a turquoise outfit. Unfortunately this seemes to be a very popular colour this year :rofl:

Also as men were vastly out numbered I found I could`nt walk very far without being invited to dance :nice:

Next time I`ll make more effort :flower:

Minnie M
1st-November-2004, 10:15 PM
...all thought the venue was brilliant (I know Tor is a fastidious chooser of venues and she has come up with another cracker)

I went there for a dance last year and told Heather (Hev Mate) about it as they were looking for weekender place now that they can't use the Brighton (Saltdean really) anymore.

Sparkles
2nd-November-2004, 12:29 AM
I asked Divissima what you looked like and she said you were wearing a turquoise outfit. Unfortunately this seemes to be a very popular colour this year :rofl:

Yes, I noticed this too :angry: :wink:
And one of the other women wearing turquoise and *very high heels* decided to try and destroy my foot :angry: and didn't even say sorry :angry: - it's only just recovered from the last time!

Looks like it could be time for a new dress :whistle:

Andy McGregor
2nd-November-2004, 02:03 AM
Looks like it could be time for a new dress :whistle:

Isn't it always new-dress-o'clock?

RobC
21st-November-2004, 02:20 PM
OK chaps, I've finally got round to putting my photos up on my webserver. :waycool:

www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/ (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/)

Divissima
21st-November-2004, 09:02 PM
Fantastic photos Rob - they really capture the mood of the night :worthy:

RobC
7th-December-2004, 03:56 PM
If anyone is interested, I have been given the task of editing the 3 different lots of camera footage shot at the Big Love Show into a DVD which we will then sell with the profits also going to charity. :clap:

I have put a little teaser clip on my website (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/html/teaser_video.html) to wet your appetite. You'll need RealPlayer installed to view the clip.

Divissima
7th-December-2004, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a great idea - will it be ready in time for Christmas (would solve a couple of my gift dilemmas :whistle: )? :devil:

Rhythm King
7th-December-2004, 04:17 PM
If anyone is interested, I have been given the task of editing the 3 different lots of camera footage shot at the Big Love Show into a DVD which we will then sell with the profits also going to charity. :clap:

I have put a little teaser clip on my website (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/html/teaser_video.html) to wet your appetite. You'll need RealPlayer installed to view the clip.

And if this takes as long as the Jumpn'Jive DVD of the BLS from the Summer, you should have plenty of time to do it :whistle:

R-K :wink:

RobC
7th-December-2004, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a great idea - will it be ready in time for Christmas (would solve a couple of my gift dilemmas :whistle: )? :devil:
Well, you never know :waycool: - I might even get it out before the Beach Boogie video :devil:

Rhythm King
7th-December-2004, 04:34 PM
Well, you never know :waycool: - I might even get it out before the Beach Boogie video :devil:

Ooh, you're such a tease! :rofl:

Lounge Lizard
7th-December-2004, 04:59 PM
I got my camber nov 2004 dvd today :clap: