PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Gadget
14th-October-2002, 11:21 AM
Is there any difference in feel between the black & white dancing shoes (I can't remember what they're called: 'spats'? or is that the lace guard?) and smooth soled dress shoes ?

Just curious.

Bill
14th-October-2002, 03:39 PM
Don't think so................:confused: but I did plan buying a pair but part of me still thinks you have to be either really good or at least think you are:wink: There was a lovely red and black pair I almost bought last year at Beach Boogie but chickened out....... maybe when I can remember more than a dozen moves in a night I'll buy a pair :(

The compare at London said this a couple of years ago as we lined up for the Lucky Dip and it may well be true - it ceetainly made everyone look down at their feet.

I think as long as you wear leather soles and the shoe is comfy then that'll do. Certainly easier for us men given the range of stylres available for women - trainers, high heels, cuban heels, no heels :eek: etc..........

Dancing Veela
14th-October-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by bill foreman
There was a lovely red and black pair I almost bought last year at Beach Boogie but chickened out.......

Bill, you chickened out of red and black mens' shoes but own a pair of bright red stilettos??????????

Alfie
14th-October-2002, 06:38 PM
Dear All,
After much research into mens Dance Shoes I have found that there are a few differences.
Bleyer have about six styles readily available in the U.K. All have a composite sole (soft rubber) which are very good on fast floors and give good grip whilst doing air steps etc.
Gandalfi have a smooth leather sole and are very comfortable. They can be a little slippy until worn in.
Freeds can have both smooth leather and chrome leather (suede type) as used in ballroom. They are just becomming widely available.
Try and look for the T.R.D.C. web site or BOOGIESTEPS web site for different makes and styles.
I wear Bleyer Charlestons, which are Black and Whites. I wear these coz I'm a pretentious show off and I like the style of two tone wing tip shoes.
I'm told that Black and Whites and pinstriped trousers is a bit old hat, as all the trendies in the Midlands wear Dance sneakers and dress like urban commandoes.
What the hell. If you like wear it. You only have yourself to please!!!!!
Going to Gus's gig in Middlewhich on Friday!
Happy Jiving All
Alfie

Emma
14th-October-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Alfie
T.R.D.C. web site or BOOGIESTEPS

TRDC (http://www.jazzjiveswing.com) are no longer selling shoes (though their website makes it look like they are.) They've transferred their sales to another company called Global Dance Store (http://www.globaldancestore.com/).

filthycute
15th-October-2002, 02:19 AM
Bleyer have about six styles readily available in the U.K. All have a composite sole (soft rubber) which are very good on fast floors

I have a pair of these.....Girlie black and white lindy ones with the strap and i love them.
It took me while to get used to the flatness of them but i thought they were great. Now i have the problem of trying to convert to character or latin shoes. I really need to find something to go with a skirt and anything i wear just feels so slippy.

Going to Gus's gig in Middlewhich on Friday!
Happy Jiving All
Alfie

You lucky dog! I'm jealous :tears:
Not to worry....i'll be up in Aberdeen livin' it large with the rest of the Mad. crew :D:D

filthycute x x

Bill
15th-October-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Veela

Bill, you chickened out of red and black mens' shoes but own a pair of bright red stilettos??????????

:sorry :p ...............mmmmmmmmmm well yes...... but .....goodness what can I say:sick: the red shoes were for fancy dress ............honest:rolleyes:

Never though that I was either enough of a poseur or good enough to wear two tone shoes:wink: .......the former might come as a surprise to some folk:D

Well what do you wear then Veela..............on your feet I mean:innocent:

filthycute
15th-October-2002, 12:15 PM

Never though that I was either enough of a poseur or good enough to wear two tone shoes:wink: .......the former might come as a surprise to some folk:D

:what: :what: :what:

OK, ok...i've heard enough!!!!

To anyone who doesn't know Bill....What planet you living on?!?!?!?!?!?!
To anyone who doesn't rate Bill as one of our finest dancers in Scotland....you talk s***!!!
Bill you are one of the best dancers i've ever had the pleasure of dancing with. How do i know this??? Because i have it written in my score book. Yes i go around venues with my little black book and rate everyone i dance with :D
You got 15 outta 10:wink:

I think the queues of women lined up to get you on the floor are a sure sign that your an amazing dancer, friendly and more than capable of showing any woman a good time :wink:

See you tonight
If i get early enough i'll book my place in the queue for a couple of boogies :D

Mx

Gadget
15th-October-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
~snip~
Yes i go around venues with my little black book and rate everyone i dance with :D
~snip~

Oh oh.:sick:

Graham
15th-October-2002, 12:22 PM

:what: :what: :what:

OK, ok...i've heard enough!!!!

To anyone who doesn't know Bill....What planet you living on?!?!?!?!?!?!
To anyone who doesn't rate Bill as one of our finest dancers in Scotland....you talk s***!!!
Bill you are one of the best dancers i've ever had the pleasure of dancing with. How do i know this??? Because i have it written in my score book. Yes i go around venues with my little black book and rate everyone i dance with :D

I think the queues of women lined up to get you on the floor are a sure sign that your an amazing dancer, friendly and more than capable of showing any woman a good time :wink:

See you tonight
If i get early enough i'll book my place in the queue for a couple of boogies :D

Mx

Mel, I think you misunderstood - he was saying that him not being a poseur might be a surprise. Actually, just being able to walk in the red stilettoes qualifies him as good enough for the two-tones!! :grin:

Score-book?? :what:

filthycute
15th-October-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

Oh oh.:sick:

really hope you can make it tonight :wink:

filthycute x x

Graham
15th-October-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Mel, I think you misunderstood - he was saying that him not being a poseur might be a surprise. Actually, just being able to walk in the red stilettoes qualifies him as good enough for the two-tones!!

Come to think of it, it also qualifies him in the poseur category!! :grin:

filthycute
15th-October-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Graham

Mel, I think you misunderstood - he was saying that him not being a poseur might be a surprise. Actually, just being able to walk in the red stilettoes qualifies him as good enough for the two-tones!! :grin:

Score-book?? :what:

i know ...but he also said this

Never though that I was either enough of a poseur or good enough to wear two tone shoes

Heck he qualifies for the two tones, the stripey trousers and the hat!!! :wink:

Well i've never seen Bill in his Red high heels so it would be unfair to judge him....however! i'm sure he looked about 17?? any pics?:wink: :yum:

filthycute x x

Graham
15th-October-2002, 12:43 PM

Heck he qualifies for the two tones, the stripey trousers and the hat!!! :wink:

On the basis that this would undermine his bluesy appeal and hence create a more level playing field for the rest of us plebs, then roll on! :grin: :wink: I'll even throw in the braces! :wink:

PS. I agree that he's good enough :nice:

Bill
15th-October-2002, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by filthycute
[B]

:. Yes i go around venues with my little black book and rate everyone i dance with :D

I am humbled :p .........and I honestly wasn't searching for compliments!!!!!!!!!! but I wonder if people do go mentally rating other dancers ????? I've danced around enough clubs to see what really good dancers can do so I have a very fair evaluation of my own abilities.........and anyone who saw me trying to do some spins at the workshop on Sunday will know where one of my main limitations lies !!!!! :sorry :tears:

See you tonight

Absolutely.............and I'll have my first practice with my double trouble partners...........and my second is maybe going to be on Saturday..............relaxed.......moi???:D :tears:

And I'll be checking on how you get on tonight with your 'partner'.......:wink:

filthycute
15th-October-2002, 01:16 PM
And I'll be checking on how you get on tonight with your 'partner'.......:wink:

Please do :D If you spot anything we mightbe able to improve on ie: my leading isn't strong enough, etc, be sure to let me know :D

filthycute x x

DavidB
15th-October-2002, 06:41 PM
I've danced around enough clubs to see what really good dancers can do so I have a very fair evaluation of my own abilities.........and anyone who saw me trying to do some spins at the workshop on Sunday will know where one of my main limitations lies !!!!!The whole idea of making yourself look good is not to do anything that makes you look bad. So I don't spin, do walking steps, move my body, do drops, do complicated moves, hip-hop, salsa, etc. It leaves me with the first move and the yoyo... and making the lady do all the work.

David

Tiggerbabe
15th-October-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
So I don't do............. complicated moves,

It leaves me with the first move and the yoyo... and making the lady do all the work.

David

Methinks you are being a little economical with the truth.

I have seen you and Lily on an American Swing Competition video and there wasn't a first move or a yoyo in sight:wink:

Don't do complicated moves eh?:confused:

Jon
15th-October-2002, 08:18 PM
I'm told that Black and Whites and pinstriped trousers is a bit old hat, as all the trendies in the Midlands wear Dance sneakers and dress like urban commandoes.

So true, the trend does seem to be going this way in London/Kent too. I'm one of them:wink:

DavidB
15th-October-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
I have seen you and Lily on an American Swing Competition video and there wasn't a first move or a yoyo in sightBut we weren't dancing jive - it would have been either rumba or hustle, or possibly very bad west coast swing. I don't honestly know that many moves, and my style is minimalistic (ie lazy!)

I will do more complicated moves in a routine - either because I've sat down and worked it out in advance, or got someone else to choreograph it (like I said - lazy!)

David

Tiggerbabe
16th-October-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by DavidB

But we weren't dancing jive

David

Ok - I knew that really - just a little poetic (or pathetic:tears: !)licence.

It was still very good though - and I look forward to getting a WCS dance or two sometime.
:cheers:

Bill
16th-October-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jon

So true, the trend does seem to be going this way in London/Kent too. I'm one of them:wink:

and i've only just bought some nice stirpey trousers............:sick: I never was much of a fashion guru................well there was the platforms, the flares and the afghan coat back in the late 70's:tears: :p but that didn't last too long.

Me in urban comando gear.......:what: ......don't think so somehow:eek:

Gus
16th-October-2002, 12:28 PM

and i've only just bought some nice stirpey trousers............:sick: I never was much of a fashion guru................well there was the platforms, the flares and the afghan coat back in the late 70's:tears: :p but that didn't last too long.

The debate as to fashion seems to crop up again. Must admit that I find it curious for a dance style that at times tries to promote itself as a new thing, praises dress styles from 50 years ago! If people want to look like lindy rejects fine .... but as there is some very wearable and stylish club gear out there ... why not try to dress like we belong to this millenium and not the last .....:confused:

{The ODA strikes back :wink: }

DavidB
16th-October-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Gus
.... but as there is some very wearable and stylish club gear out there ... http://www.4clubbers.willie-potter.co.uk/ssacademy/photos/v015.jpg

Gus
16th-October-2002, 01:02 PM
I REST MY CASE!!

PS Dave ... have you got her number???:yum: :yum:

The worrying thing is I've got a pair of trousers like the one the dweeb on the left is wearing ...not one of my more considered purchases

another question, what is it with the dummy's that these dance freaks seem to wear ... I'm not sure if I really want to speculate on the symbolisim...:sick:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-October-2002, 02:32 PM
whats the best dance trainer for a bloke Capezio or Katz ? or are there others?

Gus
16th-October-2002, 02:54 PM
Not that easy a question ..depends on if they fit your feet comfortably (some can be too narrow), what styel do you want (plain back, high cut, flashy), what type of sole (spin spot, good grip?)

I've got a pair of Blochs which, to be honest, I struggle with because of their lack of support. I've been told the new Blochs are better but I don't have #60 or so to blow on a new pair.

Best bet, try on as many pairs as you can to you find a pair that fel good and look good with what you normally dance in.

Dreadful Scathe
16th-October-2002, 03:38 PM
After reading Scot's topic about boogiesteps being at the Scottish 'Champs' ;). I phoned them up and asked them to bring sizes in ones I liked the look of - Ill buy them on Sunday.

You're right Gus - trying them on first is a good idea :) I was just going to order them from the web site too.

DavidB
16th-October-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
whats the best dance trainer for a bloke Capezio or Katz ? or are there others? Capezio's are the best made, and look the best (ie not like trainers!) Unfortunately they have the worst sole - it's got far too much grip.

Blochs have the best sole, but don't offer as much support. I wear them a lot, but have had to put a sports insole in them to make them comfortable. I still don't like the heel - it's too soft.

Never tried any of the others.

David

Bill
16th-October-2002, 05:15 PM

Well i've never seen Bill in his Red high heels so it would be unfair to judge him....however! i'm sure he looked about 17?? any pics?:wink: :yum:

filthycute x x

Well I think someone has a photo...........and not a pretty sight it is I can tell you :eek:

They only come out once in a while and they may be making an appearance at Stockport in a few weeks.......:p :wink:

and unfortunately FC I didn't look 17.....:tears: in fact I din't look 17 even when I was 17:sick:

filthycute
16th-October-2002, 05:20 PM

They only come out once in a while and they may be making an appearance at Stockport in a few weeks.......:p :wink:

Stockport eh? Special occassion then? must be if the heels are coming out! :wink:

filthycute x x

Bill
16th-October-2002, 05:34 PM
is this a full-time job for you:D

The Stockport party is a Changing Places theme so I was thinking of getting the shoes and the rest of the outfit on........not sure about the basque and stockings :sorry :p but they did make a special appearance a couple of years ago for a Rocky Horror Show party. I actually stopped the class as I walked in...............and almost did a u turn to walk back out:sick: but I stayed...and so did the shoes.

But I'll stick to trousers and flat shoes for Sunday
:D :wink:

deke
18th-October-2002, 01:14 PM
Ah Bill, I well remember dancing with you when you had those red shoes on.... and I've got a picture !

See ya sunday