PDA

View Full Version : Location of Best Dancers

Minnie M
22nd-July-2004, 09:42 AM
10 years ago the best female dancers came from the Brighton area :clap: and the best male dancers were from Guildford, and the worst IMO (both lead & follow) were the midlands - notice all from England Now it has changed completely - what do you think ?

(looking at above, should have split this pole to be regional :confused: ah well another pole maybe :whistle: )

Andy McGregor
22nd-July-2004, 10:02 AM
I think that the bar has raised so much in the last few years because the standard of teaching has improved so much. What I think has happened is that some teachers have been left behind. And that means their students will never progress as far as they might otherwise.

I travel a lot to get lessons from good teachers. That means that, although I live in the Brighton area I don't consider myself a Brighon dancer any more than I do and Ealing dancer or a Guildford dancer, etc.

What I have also found is a massive variation in styles between areas. And some of those styles just don't work together. A few years ago I even found a sub-group of dancers in the New Forest who all danced on the off-beat!! Which I'm sure was fine for them when they were all together but must have made them feel like everyone from everywhere else couldn't dance properly at all!!

I think there are some teachers who give their dancers a particular style and, if that teacher is successful, that style becomes the style for that area. Thinking about it, it would be difficult to measure the variation in dancers between areas because there's always a range of experience to consider at each class. It might be better to consider the quality of teaching in each area because that is what, IMHO, causes any variation in the quality of dancer.

Having said all that, I've always had a fabulous dance with every Scots woman I've ever danced with - but maybe they only let the brilliant dancers cross the border :wink:

Gus
22nd-July-2004, 10:08 AM
and the worst IMO (both lead & follow) were the midlands -Now it has changed completely - what do you think ?
[/I]

Hmmm ... not sure about that Minnie. From what I remember of the mid-90's, the Ceroc Central region were the best dancers I'd come across, outside the elite dancers of the Central Club. I would have said, if anything, they've stood still while other have come to the fore. I'd still say that the best dancers some from the South East ... but the difference in competence between them and the regions has decreased dramatically. again ... there have always been very good dancers in the S West .. but with a lower profile so I'm sure that many of them are not generally known.

Minnie M
22nd-July-2004, 10:15 AM
Hmmm ... not sure about that Minnie. From what I remember of the mid-90's, the Ceroc Central region were the best dancers I'd come across, outside the elite dancers of the Central Club.

woops :blush: Sorry :sad: it was a generalisation and obviously MY opinion judging by the 'clubs' I frequented at that time, however, saying that there were a couple of really GREAT :drool: dancers I did have the pleasure of meeting at that time :whistle: (and the other one was John Sweeney)

Lory
22nd-July-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't know why but this made me laugh out loud...
A few years ago I even found a sub-group of dancers in the New Forest who all danced on the off-beat!! Which I'm sure was fine for them when they were all together but must have made them feel like everyone from everywhere else couldn't dance properly at all!!

Andy, the intreped explorer comes across the strange lesser known tribe, deep in the New forest!

Did you try to creep up on them wearing a grass skirt and a coconut shell bra to try to blend in? :rofl: :rofl:
.................................................. .................................................. .....

I think theres good, bad, fun and ugly in all areas, know matter where you go!

Last night, in London, I danced with the 'hand shaker' of all time! Yes, he could keep time and ON the beat :rolleyes: I know that cos I felt every beat, very clearly, (and quite painfully) right though my arm and all the way down to my feet! :sick: :rofl:

cerocmetro
22nd-July-2004, 10:54 AM
woops :blush: Sorry :sad: it was a generalisation and obviously MY opinion judging by the 'clubs' I frequented at that time, however, saying that there were a couple of really GREAT :drool: dancers I did have the pleasure of meeting at that time :whistle: (and the other one was John Sweeney)

Minnie darling, hello, long time no speak. :flower:
Usually I agree with most things you say and not because I am just sooo polite, but this time, maybe you woke up thinking, the world is in my breakfast cereal.

I can quite often tell who a dancer was taught by. You may and please I am only using this as an example, find that every one in the Midlands can't dance except for one area where they are ooozing in style, probably the teacher.

My fav dancers come from, Aberdeen, NZ, Brighton, Souf London Norf London, Manchester, St Albans, Ilford, Finchley. I am specifically refering to girls I have danced with and thought WOW :yum:

Also someone can become a much better dancer when, a) you fancy them and b) you are in the mood for a good dance.

Is a good dancer a good dancer for everyone? Could be a thread. I have seen girls and thought wow, must dance with her, did and was dissappointed big time, but when she danced with her regular partner who was probably also lets say, "odd" they looked great.

Adam

Gadget
22nd-July-2004, 11:10 AM
I dance in Aberdeen. All of my best dances have been here. There have been a few Glasgow and Dundee dancers who have came up, but I think our dancers are just as good. I've danced with a few dancers from England - they've been quite* good; but with the dedication to come up here I presume that these people are in the minority and must travel to dance everywhere/anywhere therefore are some of the best England has to offer.
{*quite is a bit of a dramatic understatement for some :innocent:}

So in my experiance, the best dancers come from Aberdeen - untill I dance with you all and am proven otherwise, that's where they will always come from.

For a slightly less bias viewpoint - looking at all the competitions recently, the number of Scottish dancers that competed and the proportion of them that brought back medals..., Scotland still wins.
Do we 'send' only our best dancers? - no: no better or worse than anyone else that wants to compete. {well...better than most obviously :devil:}

Probably the main reason behind why Scottish dancers are better is that we don't have the "we're better than you"/"you're better than us" attitude that is at the core of this thread. We don't care really care where you come from - as long as you dance with us :D

jivecat
22nd-July-2004, 11:21 AM
I'm beginning to feel a little over-sensitive reading this thread!

I don't know if I can vote, really. I dance over the whole of the Midlands area and am beginning to forage further afield than that, and am often amazed by the distances dancers have come to be at various events. Even familiar faces, who I assume to be local, may have travelled 50 miles to get there. So I don't think I could assess regional variations in dancing quality.

Also, during the time that I've been learning to dance we have had at least 3 regular teachers at Leicester, plus a number of guest teachers. Add to that any number of classes I have attended at workshops etc and I think there won't be much evidence of a single teacher's style in my dancing. I imagine the same is true of most other MJivers - except for that enclave in the New Forest, obviously.

cerocmetro
22nd-July-2004, 11:23 AM
I dance in Aberdeen. All of my best dances have been here. There have been a few Glasgow and Dundee dancers who have came up, but I think our dancers are just as good. I've danced with a few dancers from England - they've been quite* good; but with the dedication to come up here I presume that these people are in the minority and must travel to dance everywhere/anywhere therefore are some of the best England has to offer.
{*quite is a bit of a dramatic understatement for some :innocent:}

So in my experiance, the best dancers come from Aberdeen - untill I dance with you all and am proven otherwise, that's where they will always come from.

For a slightly less bias viewpoint - looking at all the competitions recently, the number of Scottish dancers that competed and the proportion of them that brought back medals..., Scotland still wins.
Do we 'send' only our best dancers? - no: no better or worse than anyone else that wants to compete. {well...better than most obviously :devil:}

Probably the main reason behind why Scottish dancers are better is that we don't have the "we're better than you"/"you're better than us" attitude that is at the core of this thread. We don't care really care where you come from - as long as you dance with us :D

oo oo oo oo oo Andy do you want to go first or shall I and does it involve building very long high walls?

Adam

Gadget
22nd-July-2004, 11:50 AM
I haven't had <strike>an argument</strike> a discussion for a while; thought I'd put an ore in and see what it stirred up :D :wink:

Andy McGregor
22nd-July-2004, 11:58 AM
oo oo oo oo oo Andy do you want to go first or shall I and does it involve building very long high walls?

Adam

We don't need to build a wall, Scotland's finest are coming down for the Jive Masters final where it will be decided, at least for this year - I'm betting on the English to beat the Scots - but I have a horrible feeling the Aussies will be hard to beat :whistle:

Is Gadget competing or will I have to issue him with a challenge in the Car Park? - oh, I've just remembered, I'm planning to whip his ass in mortal combat at the BFG :devil:

Daisy Chain
22nd-July-2004, 12:08 PM

I have seen girls and thought wow, must dance with her, did and was dissappointed big time,

I quite agree with this but of course, I'm talking boys not girls.

Having plucked up the courage to ask a very stylish male dancer for a dance, it was one of the worst dances of all time. He was so busy posing and throwing himself around that I felt like a boneless ragdoll and struggled to stay on my feet. Realised my mistake within seconds of the music starting and couldn't wait to get off the floor. I later found out that he was a jive masters contestant :really: It just shows that looks aint everything

:worthy: to the women that can cope with his style. Give me the men that treat you like a lady (or a floosie) on the dance floor any day.

Daisy

Minnie M
22nd-July-2004, 12:35 PM
....... maybe you woke up thinking, the world is in my breakfast cereal......... Adam
:rofl: :rofl: (I'm on a serious diet now)

I was talking about the situation 10 years ago, when our Gus was just a 'nice' dancer - however having had a dance with him recently all I have to say is :clap: :worthy: :drool:

Strange thing though, I remember dancing with the Amazing Adam many many years ago, and thought great dancer (I know yuck yuck and what a creep) anyway how does a good dancer get better, or maybe my dancing has improved to meet the better dancer :whistle:

And there was the comment I made to Andy McG when he was dancing for only about 3months :rofl: :whistle: (was it 5 years ago?) I suppose he has improve a likkle bit :D

Andy McGregor
22nd-July-2004, 01:04 PM
And there was the comment I made to Andy McG when he was dancing for only about 3months :rofl: :whistle: (was it 5 years ago?) I suppose he has improved a likkle bit :D

That was over 7 years ago and you were very nice about telling me I should dance on the beat :tears:

Yliander
22nd-July-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm betting on the English to beat the Scots - but I have a horrible feeling the Aussies will be hard to beat :whistle:

Go Aussies!!! :clap: :D

cerocmetro
22nd-July-2004, 02:23 PM
:Strange thing though, I remember dancing with the Amazing Adam many many years ago, and thought great dancer :D

:whistle:
Ah the days when I could throw my hair around with wild abandon, now it just gets taken out for walks. :sad:

Adam

CJ
22nd-July-2004, 02:26 PM
:whistle:
Ah the days when I could throw my hair around with wild abandon, now it just gets taken out for walks. :sad:

Adam

?!?!!?!?

Some proof may be required here... :whistle:

mick
22nd-July-2004, 03:02 PM
What does "best dancer" mean? Flashiest, fastest, slowest?
For me, the vital thing is timing.

Mick

Gordon J Pownall
22nd-July-2004, 03:07 PM
?!?!!?!?

Some proof may be required here... :whistle:

Here (http://www.cerocmetro.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=cruise2003_old&id=What_a_lovely_couple) is Adam with no hair.........

And here (http://www.danceandsail.com/gallery/album10/Adams_168) he is with err......no hair......note baseball cap keeping no hair on head safe from sun.......
:really:

Sheepman
22nd-July-2004, 03:36 PM
I can't vote on the poll, because I'd need multiple options, and I'd be ticking every one. So when I think of the best, I'm thinking of those partners I've had most fun dancing with, and it would be a long list:-
Brighton, Bulgaria, East Anglia, France, London, Midlands, North East, North West, NZ, Scotland, South East, South West, Sweden, USA, Wales.
I'm sure I've missed plenty out, and there are lots of places where I haven't knowingly had the pleasure. :really:

I accept the points about quality of teaching, but surely those dancers who tend to be keenest, and so are likely to be amongst the best, are also those that get around much more, do weekenders, etc. so are much more likely to have come across a wide selection of teachers and danced with the best.

Greg

RobC
22nd-July-2004, 04:29 PM
That was over 7 years ago and you were very nice about telling me I should dance on the beat :tears:
Now you just dance on (judges) tables :D
:hug:

Andy McGregor
22nd-July-2004, 04:32 PM
Now you just dance on (judges) tables :D
:hug:

That was more on their clipboards than the table :blush:

stewart38
22nd-July-2004, 04:42 PM
10 years ago the best female dancers came from the Brighton area :clap: and the best male dancers were from Guildford, and the worst IMO (both lead & follow) were the midlands - notice all from England Now it has changed completely - what do you think ?

(looking at above, should have split this pole to be regional :confused: ah well another pole maybe :whistle: )

I started dancing at guildford 10yrs ago and the standard there was very good now its just a shadow of its former self

I think clubs change but I stand to be corrected (from a male perspective)

I think the standard at Windsor has dropped no doubt due to the very large influx on new people
Chesham has gone up,Hayes has gone down

Minnie M
22nd-July-2004, 04:44 PM
That was more on their clipboards than the table :blush:

:confused: is there something you are not telling us (I assume those not at WSM)

ElaineB
22nd-July-2004, 07:10 PM
We have some very talented dancers here in Bristol and also Cardiff. But, as London has the highest population, you would expect them to be streets ahead of the rest of the UK, because of numbers alone. You also have access to some wonderful teachers and there is no doubt that must raise the level.

Buuuuut - you Scots!! The few that I have danced with have been absolutely wonderful (Bill........).

As for the future, keep your eye on young Tom (just sixteen), Matt and Beckie (around nineteen) all from Glos and Bristol. :waycool:

Who would you rate as the most 'fun dancer' by the way? Bristol's Mark James always gets me giggling and then of course, there is Mr McGregor...

Elaine

:D :D

Minnie M
22nd-July-2004, 07:31 PM
you Scots!! The few that I have danced with have been absolutely wonderful (Bill........).

:yeah: and of course da boss Franck and Brady and RobBoy and Scott to mention three more .......

Fun dancers - Franck, Andy McG, Marc, and (yes) Adam - that give a good dance and make you laugh too ! Even straight faced Dale, makes me laugh sometimes with his dancing :wink: - hey ho that could be a start of another thread

Lou
22nd-July-2004, 07:55 PM
As for the future, keep your eye on young Tom (just sixteen), Matt and Beckie (around nineteen) all from Glos and Bristol. :waycool:
:yeah: :clap: :clap: :clap: :nice:
Am so proud of & pleased for M&B to have got through to the second round at WSM in their first ever comp, when they've been dancing less than a year (and that's not forgetting that they're not around in term time, either).

And don't you think Matt looks like Prince Harry? We're doing ever so well for royalty around here.... ;)

Emma
22nd-July-2004, 08:26 PM
Also someone can become a much better dancer when, a) you fancy them and b) you are in the mood for a good dance.Oh, so true :rofl:

DangerousCurves
22nd-July-2004, 09:06 PM
oh, I've just remembered, I'm planning to whip his ass in mortal combat at the BFG :devil:

Is that a manly offer of physical confrontation, or the announcement of a themed dance routine the two of you will be performing? :innocent:

Its so hard to tell sometimes.....

Lynn
22nd-July-2004, 09:15 PM
Buuuuut - you Scots!! The few that I have danced with have been absolutely wonderful (Bill........). :yeah: :drool: And hope to dance with more at Southport and BFG! I'm afraid that the standard here in Belfast isn't very high, but give us a few years....

dannyboy
22nd-July-2004, 11:39 PM
More votes for England :clap: and this is a Scottish forum!
I voted for NZ, by far IMO the best dancers there

DavidB
23rd-July-2004, 12:10 AM
I voted for NZ, by far IMO the best dancers thereI've spoken to lots of Australians about why they think the Aussies are best. Similarly with the English, the Scottish, Londoners, Bristol, Dundee, Glasgow, Manchester, etc.

I'm not interested in who is the best - I'm more interested in the reasons why. Last year I heard an Australian lady comment that English men weren't what she would call advanced, because they hardly did any drops or spins. Soon after I heard an English lady say that she didn't think Australian men were advanced, because all they did were spins & drops...

So why do you like NZ dancers? (Or if you want the real reason for the question, how do you impress NZ dancers?)

Gadget
23rd-July-2004, 08:57 AM
Is that a manly offer of physical confrontation, or the announcement of a themed dance routine the two of you will be performing? :innocent:

Its so hard to tell sometimes.....
Now there's an idea... :innocent:

Jive Brummie
24th-July-2004, 10:32 AM
Was going to put a huge long reply to this thread but thought I might end up offending people (unintentionally) so I'll just say.......

Scotland!!

Gus
24th-July-2004, 05:33 PM
Just had a thought ... how would you know? The vast majority of the dancers on this forum have seen AT MOST say 30% of the dancers on the MJ scene. A lot of the very good MJers dont compete so the results on the competition circuit may not be the best indicator. A lot of dancers stay fairly local. I still see the odd face in London who were great dancers when I was just starting out ... but they keep to the background ... comps and big weekenders aint their thing .... so how can anyone come to an asessment? Just curious. :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
24th-July-2004, 06:10 PM
so how can anyone come to an asessment? Just curious. :whistle:
Crikey Gus, :what: Don't you think you're maybe getting a teensie, teensie little bit too serious about this? It's just a poll asking for people's opinion - which they base on their own experiences :flower: and an opportunity for some good natured banter.
The "best" dancers are the "best" for a whole host of different reasons to different people - perhaps my vote was cast for the dancers who smile most, or who lead most gently, are most considerate, dress in the funkiest clothes, smell nice, make me feel good and have fun - who knows why people vote the way they do? :wink:
I doubt that anyone is going to look at the results and make the decision that they will only dance with people from Scotland (as JB always tells the truth :wink: ) from now on :hug: :hug: :kiss:

Tiggerbabe
24th-July-2004, 06:16 PM
So in my experience, the best dancers come from Aberdeen - until I dance with you all and am proven otherwise, that's where they will always come from.
Gadget - Apprentice Oracle :clap: - a great explanation of his opinion IMCO

We don't care really care where you come from - as long as you dance with us :D
Couldn't have said it better :hug:

Lory
24th-July-2004, 08:02 PM
my vote was cast for the dancers who smile most, or who lead most gently, are most considerate, dress in the funkiest clothes, smell nice, make me feel good and have fun - who knows why people vote the way they do? :wink:

:yeah: :clap: :cheers:

Forte
24th-July-2004, 08:45 PM
Some of the best dancers (wherever they are) need to dance with us improvers a bit more...I was a bit upset when I read a comment on this forum from a really good dancer when he said he always pleaded a sore wrist when he danced with a beginner because I recognised he had said that to me last year :tears:
I am much better dancer now but he didn't seem very interested in "bringing me on" unlike the lovely guys we have up here in Scotland who all take an interest in my progress... :cheers:

Gus
24th-July-2004, 09:14 PM
Some of the best dancers (wherever they are) need to dance with us improvers a bit more...I was a bit upset when I read a comment on this forum from a really good dancer when he said he always pleaded a sore wrist when he danced with a beginner because I recognised he had said that to me last year :tears:
I am much better dancer now but he didn't seem very interested in "bringing me on" unlike the lovely guys we have up here in Scotland who all take an interest in my progress... :cheers:

Fair comment ... but as a previous thread said ... more advanced dancers also need time dancing with dancers at their own level to improve. Dancing with some beginners can also have a downside ... I know three teachers in the area at the moment who (me included) have damaged shoulders through constantly having their arms jerked :sad:

On the flip side ... most of the best dancers I know in my area go out of their way to dance with beginners and bring them on .... maybe thats what makes a real advanced dancer ... having the ability AND the desire to pass it on :grin:

Gordon J Pownall
24th-July-2004, 09:36 PM
The "best" dancers are the "best" for a whole host of different reasons to different people - perhaps my vote was cast for the dancers who smile most, or who lead most gently, are most considerate, dress in the funkiest clothes, smell nice, make me feel good and have fun - who knows why people vote the way they do? :wink:
That'll be me then.................eh Lory...??? :whistle:

Lory
25th-July-2004, 09:38 AM
That'll be me then.................eh Lory...??? :whistle:
I can't deny, you fit the decription perfectly! :worthy: :hug:

Dancing Girlie
25th-July-2004, 10:02 PM
Not sure if I'm posting this reply correctly, it's my first time, so sorry if it turns out wrong! :blush:

I'm relatively new to this forum although not to MJ - I've been dancing for 4 or 5 years now.

I would have to say that the Scottish guys do it for me!! ;) Having said that, I have had the opportunity to dance a few men from down south and what a pleasure it was too :D

With regards to beginners, for me, the way I see it, we were all beginners at some point in our dancing lives. If the more "experienced" dancers hadn't encouraged me, as well as the "new starts" allowing me to practise on them, then perhaps I wouldn't have felt confident enough to continue. I do however appreciate the fact that dancing with a "beginner" has an increased risk of injury!!...but perhaps it is better for us to find out, so that we can hopefully help sort out the problem. :flower:

Forte
26th-July-2004, 10:32 PM
Not sure if I'm posting this reply correctly, it's my first time, so sorry if it turns out wrong! :blush:

I'm relatively new to this forum although not to MJ - I've been dancing for 4 or 5 years now.

I would have to say that the Scottish guys do it for me!! ;) Having said that, I have had the opportunity to dance a few men from down south and what a pleasure it was too :D

With regards to beginners, for me, the way I see it, we were all beginners at some point in our dancing lives. If the more "experienced" dancers hadn't encouraged me, as well as the "new starts" allowing me to practise on them, then perhaps I wouldn't have felt confident enough to continue. I do however appreciate the fact that dancing with a "beginner" has an increased risk of injury!!...but perhaps it is better for us to find out, so that we can hopefully help sort out the problem. :flower:

Welcome to the Forum Dancing Girlie! :hug:

Dancing Girlie
27th-July-2004, 03:36 AM
Thankyou for the welcome Forte :cheers:

Gordon J Pownall
27th-July-2004, 09:30 AM
I can't deny, you fit the decription perfectly! :worthy: :hug:

WE fit the descriptions perfectly, if Sunday was anything to go by..... :flower:

Andy McGregor
28th-July-2004, 05:36 PM
I've been thinking laterally about this. And I know the answer for everyone, why didn't I think of this before, it's so obvious. The best dancer is ...

..in front of you :waycool:

In other words, the dancer you're dancing with at present is the only one, they must be the best, as much as the music you're dancing to is the only music you've got: so make the best of it :flower:

p.s. For the masochistic pessimists among us the partner we've got now, being the only one, is also the worst - enjoy your misery :wink:

missedtheraffle
1st-August-2004, 03:40 AM
The nicest people make the best dancers, wherever they are,
I enjoy a dance with someone with a GSOH, even if they are not a fantastic dancer.
In the end, no sense of humour = no fun!
:D :D :D :D :D

DianaS
1st-August-2004, 03:45 PM
They were all at the Isle of Wight definately...
but then there was continental drift and they all scattered with the wind..
:yeah:

under par
1st-August-2004, 03:46 PM
I've been thinking laterally about this. And I know the answer for everyone, why didn't I think of this before, it's so obvious. The best dancer is ...

..in front of you :waycool:

In other words, the dancer you're dancing with at present is the only one, they must be the best, as much as the music you're dancing to is the only music you've got: so make the best of it :flower:

I cannot disagree with you there Andy.

The partner in front of you IS the most important dancer. :worthy: