PDA

View Full Version : Footwork on switching to ceroc

MartinHarper
20th-July-2004, 04:55 PM
I've just joined Ceroc Cheltenham, having learnt "jazz jive" elsewhere. Lots of new stuff to take in - makes me feel like a beginner again. :) I wanted to ask for advice on the best way to deal with the footwork differences.

Footwork doesn't seem to be taught, but most people seem to be stepping twice on each jive beat. So, where I would rock-step back right, most people seem to step back right and left. I'm wondering if it's worth switching to the same style - whether that'll make the dance more smooth - less clash of styles that way.

Some moves look like they need to be led differently depending on where the lady's feet (and weight) are. Half windmill, for example, up till now I've always led from lady's right foot back - if the lady is left foot back or feet together, it feels like a quite different move. On the other hand, maybe I should lead the move the same way, concentrate on keeping my feet under my body, and let the lady do likewise?

-Martin

Gadget
20th-July-2004, 05:12 PM
You're thinking too hard :wink: look at Sorting out walking (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3292) or Rules for stepping back (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3091) or what do I do with my feet? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164) or even Finding your feet (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473) for some discussions on it. :D

dannyboy
20th-July-2004, 09:18 PM
Ceroc in London is teaching footwork now, changed days.
In Oz footwork is a BIG part of the class, maybe that's why they dance better :wink:

Gordon J Pownall
21st-July-2004, 12:06 AM
In Oz footwork is a BIG part of the class, maybe that's why they dance better :wink:

....as is Ceroc in Cheshunt, Chelmsford and Ceroc Kent at Maidstone....I know 'cos I teach there......

I do usually cover footwork of some description or another in each class, (Beginners and intermediate), although in intermediate it tends to be slightly more technical and associated with specific moves. :whistle:

What do people (who go to Ceroc classes) think of the Ceroc essentials at the start of the beginners class - stepping back / side to side / weight transfer etc...

Useful or not...???? :confused:

Andy McGregor
21st-July-2004, 02:27 AM
.. Ceroc Kent at Maidstone....

Is Maidstone still a smoking venue?

The last time I went they were smoking at tables around the dance floor and it was horrible :sick:

latinlover
21st-July-2004, 08:57 AM
What do people (who go to Ceroc classes) think of the Ceroc essentials at the start of the beginners class - stepping back / side to side / weight transfer etc...

Useful or not...???? :confused:
when I was a beginner I worried that I wasn't getting the footwork right only to be told not to worry about it, which I found easier than trying to get the footwork right(it wasn't really taught anyway).when I did a workshop after about ten weeks the footwork was explained more fully and I found that I could actually do something about it because I already had the rudiments of the dance .For myself I find that concentrating on all the different style points ,as well as where to & when to move all at one go is rather a lot to take in. I'm sure I would have given up in disillusionment if I hadn't been able to get dancing relatively quickly.
there is also the point of view that establishing 'bad habits' as a learner makes it difficult to eradicate them later on ,which may explain the abundance of unpleasant 'bouncy' styles etc. but I can't help thinking ceroc (or MJ generally) would be the poorer (in both senses).
as taxi dancer I find that the review classes can get hijacked by individuals asking detailed & pedantic questions(which obviously seem vital to their understanding of things) at the expense of moving the class along for the other members.Obviously it is up to the 'teacher ' to minimise this and deal with things personally afterwards.
generally I favour the rapid results approach ,to give people confidence and then tidying up afterwards. let's face it not everyone who comes through the doors of a MJ venue will become a star dancer, but that should not detract from their enjoyment
to get back to the question, I think weight transfer is more important than which foot
IMHO !!

Minnie M
21st-July-2004, 09:04 AM

Hmmm......... :angry:

Think this needs a poll !

Gordon J Pownall
21st-July-2004, 09:10 AM

The last time I went they were smoking at tables around the dance floor and it was horrible :sick:

Yawn........... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

RobC
21st-July-2004, 11:28 AM

The last time I went they were smoking at tables around the dance floor and it was horrible

Yawn........... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Guess that's a 'yes' then Andy ? Don't think I'll be travelling to Maidstone any time soon..... :whistle:

Whitebeard
21st-July-2004, 10:47 PM
I do usually cover footwork of some description or another in each class, (Beginners and intermediate), although in intermediate it tends to be slightly more technical and associated with specific moves.

Useful or not...????

On another thread the consensus didn't seem very positive, especially if this is seen primarily just as a warm-up session. However, looking back, I for one wish it had been in place back last year when I started. Locally, the format goes something like all face the front and backward, forward, backward .... step, first to the count and then to music (at this point just a hint of the Salsa wiggle can be introduced for personal amusement). Then we turn to face holding left to right and get the feel of the push/pull and how it can vary between partners. Next on to a double hand-hold, sweeping the arms out and round and up to end palms facing at shoulder level as partners come together. Face to face like that you have to smile and engage with your partner, don't you? And I think everyone does, it breaks any ice there may be around, and the raw beginner is already dancing; feeling the rhythm, the positive/negative tension, and learning how the hand hold can change.

Useful, very useful, to me.

stewart38
26th-July-2004, 01:48 PM
On another thread the consensus didn't seem very positive, especially if this is seen primarily just as a warm-up session. However, looking back, I for one wish it had been in place back last year when I started. Locally, the format goes something like all face the front and backward, forward, backward .... step, first to the count and then to music (at this point just a hint of the Salsa wiggle can be introduced for personal amusement). Then we turn to face holding left to right and get the feel of the push/pull and how it can vary between partners. Next on to a double hand-hold, sweeping the arms out and round and up to end palms facing at shoulder level as partners come together. Face to face like that you have to smile and engage with your partner, don't you? And I think everyone does, it breaks any ice there may be around, and the raw beginner is already dancing; feeling the rhythm, the positive/negative tension, and learning how the hand hold can change.

Useful, very useful, to me.

Ive learned from this quote. Maybe if I tried to adapt to the changes taking place in ceroc I would be a better dancer ?

10yrs ago a teacher would mention "there is no footwork in ceroc" of course thats now changed.

Im still not sure raw beginners should be getting into to much 'foot work' a sense of rythm is better.