PDA

View Full Version : Marriage....

Pammy
16th-July-2004, 02:01 PM
Prompted by Bardseys ring ( :what: ) statement, I was wondering....

How many times have you ever been proposed to...

How many times have you propsed to someone else...

Incidentally, I mean count up all times with as many different people as you like.

Gadget
16th-July-2004, 03:33 PM
{note: you can tic two (or more) boxes}

I managed to survive about five years of nagging to get married before caving in... Never proposed to anyone though.

Emma
16th-July-2004, 03:37 PM
I am now open to all PM (or public, what da hell) proposals of marriage in order to change my vote from a measly 'never been proposed to' :o

NB - will be turning them down. (probably!!) :wink:

Sparkles
16th-July-2004, 03:50 PM
I am now open to all PM (or public, what da hell) proposals of marriage in order to change my vote from a measly 'never been proposed to' :o

I'll marry you, Emma! - Then we can both change our votes :wink: S. x
(PS. will bring you chocolate to fuel your DJing on Saturday too!)

Emma
16th-July-2004, 04:00 PM
I'll marry you, Emma! - Then we can both change our votes :wink: S. x
(PS. will bring you chocolate to fuel your DJing on Saturday too!)Yay! One down, 8 or 9 to go..;) Anyone else need a wife?? I think it's only fair to point out that I positivly refuse to iron for anyone else and although I am unquestionably a fabulous cook I'll generally delegate the task wherever possible :)

On the plus side....hmmm comes with large music collection and owns iPod, maybe be convinced to share (yeah, right!!). Fond of hoovering and clean kitchen surfaces. Leads and sometimes even follows :wink: :wink:

Sparkles, your chocolate contribution will win you my eternal loyalty :flower: (Add 'easily bought' to that list of plusses..)

Forte
16th-July-2004, 04:22 PM
Yay! One down, 8 or 9 to go..;) Anyone else need a wife?? I think it's only fair to point out that I positivly refuse to iron for anyone else and although I am unquestionably a fabulous cook I'll generally delegate the task wherever possible :)
I need a wife! :grin: Still...I have found the next best thing... a man who can cook! :grin:

Divissima
16th-July-2004, 07:16 PM
{note: you can tic two (or more) boxes}

I managed to survive about five years of nagging to get married before caving in... Never proposed to anyone though.Not that it was quite nagging, and although no proposal as such, I have had a couple of boyfriends who started talking about 'when we get married'. Shortly followed by the sound of me beating a speedy retreat :rofl:

Just realised I lied on the poll. I did ask the delicious ChrisA to marry me once :drool: - only to find that he was already spoken for :tears:

angelique
16th-July-2004, 08:39 PM
Yay! One down, 8 or 9 to go..;) Anyone else need a wife?? I think it's only fair to point out that I positivly refuse to iron for anyone else and although I am unquestionably a fabulous cook I'll generally delegate the task wherever possible :)
Have to say that have told Lory MANY times I want her to have my babies and that I love her dearly!!!! :wink:
Especially when she makes me a coffee in the morning after a hard nights dancing at Camber..............is that similar to a marriage proposal??? :rofl:

Lory
16th-July-2004, 11:08 PM
Have to say that have told Lory MANY times I want her to have my babies and that I love her dearly!!!! :wink:
Especially when she makes me a coffee in the morning after a hard nights dancing at Camber..............is that similar to a marriage proposal??? :rofl:
Camber May 03.....It didn't work but OH how much fun did we have trying? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gus
16th-July-2004, 11:19 PM
Camber May 03.....It didn't work but OH how much fun did we have trying? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Re picture ....WHY?? :confused:

Chickadee
16th-July-2004, 11:26 PM

I took that photo just before I joined in! :wink: :rofl:

angelique
16th-July-2004, 11:36 PM
:tears: :tears:
YOU CAD LORY!!!! You promised you would never show our "special" photo's to anyone else :sad:
People will think I'm easy now!! :rofl: :rofl:

angelique
16th-July-2004, 11:40 PM
Re picture ....WHY?? :confused:
Why Not Gus?? :whistle:
It made perfect sense to us...........at the time lol :cheers: :cheers: :clap: :kiss:

stewart38
17th-July-2004, 10:14 AM

I'll marry you Emma. How much baggage can you handle and should I get divorced first ?

:sad:

Emma
17th-July-2004, 10:22 AM
:tears: :tears:
YOU CAD LORY!!!! You promised you would never show our "special" photo's to anyone else :sad:
People will think I'm easy now!! :rofl: :rofl:Darling, I thought you were bringing those photos so you could get your sepcial extra discount tonight at Charlton? :wink: :grin:

Emma
17th-July-2004, 10:28 AM
I'll marry you Emma. How much baggage can you handle and should I get divorced first :grin: Don't worry about the baggage babe, we'll get a pull-along :nice:
...and I think we can be flexible about the divorce seeing as it's a virtual marriage :wink:

Tweetie
17th-July-2004, 07:25 PM
emma:
Me and the Smurf now come as a package but take this as a joint proposal. Its perfectly legal in the land of Smurf Im assured :)

Emma
17th-July-2004, 07:50 PM
emma:
Me and the Smurf now come as a package but take this as a joint proposal. Its perfectly legal in the land of Smurf Im assured :)Woo Hoo!! :clap: :clap: :hug: :grin:

Forte
18th-July-2004, 11:49 AM
emma:
Me and the Smurf now come as a package but take this as a joint proposal. Its perfectly legal in the land of Smurf Im assured :)

For goodness sake! You've just got hitched and now you want to do it again! Now that's a good reccommendation for marriage! :wink:

Andy McGregor
18th-July-2004, 02:48 PM
I took that photo just before I joined in! :wink: :rofl:

I think I can detect a bit of camera-shake. Were you panting, Chickadee? :innocent:

ChrisA
18th-July-2004, 07:14 PM
Just realised I lied on the poll. I did ask the delicious ChrisA to marry me once :drool: - only to find that he was already spoken for :tears:
Not that that stopped us. :waycool:

Chris

Chickadee
18th-July-2004, 09:37 PM
I think I can detect a bit of camera-shake. Were you panting, Chickadee? :innocent:

I certainly was...and that was before I joined in; had to be resuscitated after! Those two are bad influences on me... :innocent: :wink:

Pammy
19th-July-2004, 09:28 AM
Not that that stopped us. :waycool:

Chris

I think you mean, not that that stopped YOU :wink: Gigalo! :rofl:

Lory: You little minx :clap:

ChrisA
19th-July-2004, 09:54 AM
I think you mean, not that that stopped YOU :wink: Gigalo! :rofl:
Time for a second honeymoon, girls?

:devil:

Gordon J Pownall
19th-July-2004, 10:13 AM
Is there any law in the UK that says you can only be engaged for a set amount of time before you must be married - DJ Bunnie is really getting on my case now.... :mad:

We got engaged (on Valentines Day in the Carribean) in 2003. :hug:

18 months later, still no plans for the wedding and certain parties seem keen on encouraging us to do something about it (obviously no good parties to go to recently so looking to create one)..... :really:

Any case law or precedent would be most useful....... :rolleyes:

What would be considered a 'taking the pi*s' period of time to be engaged without actually getting married......? :confused:

I think anything over 5 years of engagement without marriage is taking the mickey a bit.... :whistle: :whistle:

Any thoughts....???? :whistle:

Emma
19th-July-2004, 10:16 AM
What would be considered a 'taking the pi*s' period of time to be engaged without actually getting married......? :confused:
18 months ;) ;)

Andy McGregor
19th-July-2004, 10:22 AM
Is there any law in the UK that says you can only be engaged for a set amount of time before you must be married - DJ Bunnie is really getting on my case now.... :mad:

[serious mode]

IMHO being engaged means that you've both made a promise to get married to each other. You love each other and you want to be married and live together for the rest of your lives. To delay the day that you get married could mean that you still have some doubt about your desire to live together for ever. And, if you have that doubt you're not really, truly engaged to be married at all! If you're engaged and aren't working towards a marriage, I think you should ask yourself what being engaged actually means. Come on Gordy name the day :clap:

[/serious mode]

Alternatively, do what you like, it's your life :flower:

Gordon J Pownall
19th-July-2004, 10:24 AM
[serious mode]

IMHO being engaged means that you've both made a promise to get married to each other. You love each other and you want to be married and live together for the rest of your lives. To delay the day that you get married could mean that you still have some doubt about your desire to live together for ever. And, if you have that doubt you're not really, truly engaged to be married at all! If you're engaged and aren't working towards a marriage, I think you should ask yourself what being engaged actually means. Come on Gordy name the day :clap:

[/serious mode]

Alternatively, do what you like, it's your life :flower:

It's more like finding the time etc etc. :flower:

Perhaps as a Skipper in Dubrovnik next year, you could perform the ceremony for us...??? :clap:

Gordon J Pownall
19th-July-2004, 10:24 AM
18 months ;) ;)

Yeah Yeah Yeah........obvious response Em...... :wink:

Andy McGregor
19th-July-2004, 10:52 AM
It's more like finding the time etc etc. :flower:

The ceremony takes less than an hour and if you call the Jive Masters final your wedding reception you'll get it video'd for free :wink:

ChrisA
19th-July-2004, 10:55 AM
IMHO being engaged means that you've both made a promise to get married to each other.

No one should be allowed to get married until they've been living together for at least 10 years.

:eek: :devil:

Chris

Emma
19th-July-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah Yeah Yeah........obvious response Em...... :wink:Naturally - as I lived with someone for 15 years and never married him! :rofl:

Pammy
19th-July-2004, 11:10 AM
Time for a second honeymoon, girls?

:devil:

:rofl: Seychelles anyone? :clap:

Pammy
19th-July-2004, 11:13 AM
[serious mode]
[/serious mode]

I agree completely. If someone doesn't want to marry, then fine, but I often feel that a lot of couples, one talks the other into engagement when the other doesn't want to take the final marriage step; hence they go around with a ring on their finger indefinitely. Also, I think a lot of people use this as an excuse to take their partner "off the market", e.g. they don't want to marry, but to the rest of the world, they want their partner to appear *taken* by the appearance of a ring on the finger. Not saying this is the case here or anything, just an observation (as a ficticious ex-wife of Gordon's obviously this didn't apply in our case :flower: ).

Pamsonite

Gordon J Pownall
19th-July-2004, 11:17 AM
Not saying this is the case here or anything, just an observation (as a ficticious ex-wife of Gordon's obviously this didn't apply in our case :flower: ). Pamsonite

If only dreams could become the reality........... :flower:

under par
19th-July-2004, 11:24 AM
:rofl: Seychelles anyone? :clap:

"shells anyone" what happens now!!!!!!!!!

Pammy
19th-July-2004, 11:33 AM
Also, is marriage just a religious thing? Is there anyone on here who isn't at all religious, but who still got married and if so, why?

In my mind, there has to be some belief in god to say that you are prepared to get married to someone. Otherwise, why do you need a piece of paper to tell someone you love them, won't leave them and will be comitted to them for life?

In some respects, marriage can actually be the beginning of the end for just those reasons. It's often thought of as a last resort in a failing relationship, as in "if we get married we'll be ok", or the other one is "if we have a baby we'll stay together". I disagree with both of these.

I used to work with a girl who had been with the same man for 20 years, and had never contimplated marriage as she believed strongly that she didn't need a certificate to prove their love for each other - worked for them. :clap:

Andy McGregor
19th-July-2004, 11:38 AM
No one should be allowed to get married until they've been living together for at least 10 years.

:eek: :devil:

Chris

But, should they get engaged before they've decided to get married?

Does engaged mean anything other than "engaged to be married"?

under par
19th-July-2004, 11:42 AM
But, should they get engaged before they've decided to get married?

Does engaged mean anything other than "engaged to be married"?

It normally means the toilet door is locked :wink:

it also means you cannot get through on the phone. :whistle: :yeah:

Apologies for these :flower:

jivecat
19th-July-2004, 12:11 PM
In my mind, there has to be some belief in god to say that you are prepared to get married to someone. Otherwise, why do you need a piece of paper to tell someone you love them, won't leave them and will be comitted to them for life?

I don't think marriage has got anything to do with those non-existent gods. (Oh no, not that again) And I don't think you need a piece of paper to prove your love but you do need it to obtain your rights to housing, pension, child access, inheritance etc. I know it's not very romantic but lots of relationships start off blissful and then go belly-up. Not to mention the awful thought of your beloved partner dying suddenly and then leaving you destitute. I thought gay couples were fighting for "pieces of paper" for that very reason. Marriage is the legal recognition of a relationship and that's why a certificate is important.
But then, what do I know, I've never even dipped my toe in the water where matrimony is concerned. Even though I've been proposed to at least once, twice if you count the oblique "How do you feel about the concept of marriage" approach.

Gadget
19th-July-2004, 12:32 PM
:yeah:
The primary reason for my marrage is my kids - lots of legal stuff that's so much easier if both parents are married - especially if something happens to one of us.

{...although I'm sure that She just wanted to buy a fancy dress and shoes.
It was a surprise wedding BTW; we invited folk to the cristening of Zander and just got married at the same time. Only the best man*, flower girls, and her dad knew. My mum still hasn't forgiven me :innocent::whistle::devil:}

{* I had a female "best man" - "breast man" :wink: )

Dreadful Scathe
19th-July-2004, 12:36 PM
Also, is marriage just a religious thing? Is there anyone on here who isn't at all religious, but who still got married and if so, why?

In my mind, there has to be some belief in god to say that you are prepared to get married to someone.

This is a common misconception that doesnt histroically stand up. Marriage has nothing to do with religion, people only started getting married in church a few centuries ago as it was a big part of life back then and they kept good records. People choose to get married in front of their peers/family as a celebration and as a means to publicaly declare your love for someone - thats what it means to me anyway.

Im not religious, but i still got married in a church as it is something i grew up with - now you can discuss if this is in someway hypocritcal but i dont think it is :)....
anyway back to honeymoon in Paris :).

CJ
19th-July-2004, 12:44 PM
mmm...

Firstly, when I was young and stupid I got engaged. At the time it seemed the real deal but looking back we were only ever "engaged" and not "engaged to be married."

The second time, however, I managed to get it right. I asked the good lady to marry me, and she said yes. Bizarrely, we felt married long before we became so: we were meant to be together and so we were.

The wedding itself was a chance to confirm that legally, but also to share with our families and friends the love we had found, how lucky we were to have done so and to celebrate a union that some are not fortunate enough to enjoy.

I hope not to be "peeing on the BBQ" of anyone still single, but I do feel incredibly lucky to have met my wife and to share that special bond which brings us together day after day after day (married or not).

Anyway: Fi and Smurfy Boy: many heartfelt congratulations.

Forte
19th-July-2004, 12:55 PM
This is a common misconception that doesnt histroically stand up. Marriage has nothing to do with religion, people only started getting married in church a few centuries ago as it was a big part of life back then and they kept good records. People choose to get married in front of their peers/family as a celebration and as a means to publicaly declare your love for someone - thats what it means to me anyway.

Im not religious, but i still got married in a church as it is something i grew up with - now you can discuss if this is in someway hypocritcal but i dont think it is :)....

Makes my heart glad to hear your contributions on the marriage thread when you are so fresh and topical! :kiss: :hug:

latinlover
19th-July-2004, 01:17 PM
I hope not to be "peeing on the BBQ" of anyone still single, but I do feel incredibly lucky to have met my wife and to share that special bond which brings us together day after day after day (married or not).
:yeah: :yeah:
me too
married 22 years,and there is no doubt that it was the right thing for us.
obviously it's not for everybody, although personally I think the kids and the will thing add a certain sensibleness to it - for instance(and I am prepared to be corrected by those lawyers among you) :worthy: I believe that if one of the parents dies who are not married then no matter how long they have been together the children are next of kin,(and therefore inheritors) rather than the "common law spouse".and if there are no children then the closest blood relative inherits leaving the 'long-time devoted companion' to go to court (presumably)
and what's so offensive about a piece of paper anyway? :clap:
although I must admit I'm tempted to encourage my daughters into cohabiting as, well, the cost of weddings these days............... :rofl:

Pammy
19th-July-2004, 01:34 PM
The wedding itself was a chance to confirm that legally, but also to share with our families and friends the love we had found, how lucky we were to have done so and to celebrate a union that some are not fortunate enough to enjoy.

That was a really great post. Thanks :worthy:

Andy McGregor
19th-July-2004, 01:57 PM

Having been happily married for 22 years I agree with the Smurf - especially about the Paris bit :wink:

I got engaged to Sue because I loved her and wanted to marry her and spend the rest of my life with her - I think Sue married me because she was drunk - obviously :wink:

Pammy
19th-July-2004, 02:43 PM
I think Sue married me because she was drunk - obviously :wink:

:rofl:

Lynn
20th-July-2004, 12:41 PM
Hmmm - what does this count as?

Her "If you want to be married, then find someone suitable and marry them"

Him "OK - you'll do, when would suit you to get married?"

Brief pause...
Her "Next week, oh but that's when you are on holiday, what a pity"

....?

Bardsey
20th-July-2004, 01:02 PM
I got engaged to Sue because I loved her and wanted to marry her and spend the rest of my life with her - I think Sue married me because she was drunk - obviously :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: :clap: :rofl:

Bardsey
20th-July-2004, 01:08 PM
When I got divorced from Rog (who, incidently is now my best friend) I vowed never to re-marry. I was certain it was not for me cos I did't like being tied down and have to "ask" for things.... or have to work up the courage to "ask" if I can go out with the girls..... then have to suffer the 3rd degree when I got back home.... and I'd have to be in by 12 or I turned into a pumpkin........phew! No, never again!

Then I met someone who showed me that being with someone doesn't mean being supressed and losing my independence.......but marriage again??? I dunno......maybe, who knows! He keeps asking, I keep laughing :rofl:

fruitcake
20th-July-2004, 09:29 PM
I would like a lovely big diamond engagement ring, forever- no marriage.
Shallow, YES!
fruitcake :waycool:

Chickadee
20th-July-2004, 11:09 PM
I would like a lovely big diamond engagement ring, forever- no marriage.
Shallow, YES!
fruitcake :waycool:

:yeah: :rofl:

Pammy
21st-July-2004, 10:13 AM
Then I met someone who showed me that being with someone doesn't mean being supressed and losing my independence.......

:yeah: No supression in that relationship :rofl:

My question to marriage would be; who will wear the dress? :confused: :wink: :hug:

Gordon J Pownall
21st-July-2004, 10:17 AM
Then I met someone who showed me that being with someone doesn't mean being supressed and losing my independence.......

Me too........and DJ Bunnie has said it's OK for me to say that...... :sick:

(thank you darling....another foot massage / grape / turn the page of the magazine for you.....?) :worthy: :worthy:

Bardsey
21st-July-2004, 11:50 AM
:
My question to marriage would be; who will wear the dress? :confused: :wink: :hug:

Why? You're not thinking of marrying Andy are you ? :confused: :rofl:

Pammy
21st-July-2004, 11:54 AM
Why? You're not thinking of marrying Andy are you ? :confused: :rofl:

If he'd have me I would :D

Bardsey
21st-July-2004, 12:16 PM
If he'd have me I would :D

Me too, if only to borrow his frocks! I could do with an harem of pretend husbands, like you. Do we get a big stonking diamond ring each time??? :rofl:

Andy McGregor
21st-July-2004, 10:23 PM
:yeah: No supression in that relationship :rofl:

Something that's always puzzled me too...

POPPET
25th-July-2004, 04:21 PM
The only reason a husband is better than a Vibrator is cause Vibrators cant buy drinks or dance...oooh did i say that out loud!
ooops
Poised for negative rep!!!!! go for it hee hee

Pammy
26th-July-2004, 09:37 AM
or carry the shopping? :innocent:

Boomer
26th-July-2004, 12:53 PM
or carry the shopping? :innocent:

Ooohhh me back :tears: