PDA

View Full Version : Is Taxi dancing required for "Good Dancer" status?

Gadget
9th-July-2004, 06:50 PM
It occurs to me that the majority all of "Good" or better dancers have been, or are Taxi dancers (or equivelent).

Is this semi-official role a necessary evolutionary step from "dancer" to "good dancer"? Should beginners be aiming to become taxi dancers?

Dance Demon
9th-July-2004, 07:39 PM
Think this has been covered before Gadget, But I know quite a few good dancers who have never been asked to Taxi. I also know some pretty mediocre ones who have. I also know that some pretty good dancers have been knocked back when they have asked about it. Perhaps that's why people with an aptitude to teach or guide that have been knocked back often go on to start up their own classes, as independants. Quite often it seems that people who would make good Taxi dancers or teachers, don't get asked because they don't fit the image i.e. not young , fit, and good looking enough. to attract new punters in.

under par
10th-July-2004, 04:01 AM
It occurs to me that the majority all of "Good" or better dancers have been, or are Taxi dancers (or equivelent).

Is this semi-official role a necessary evolutionary step from "dancer" to "good dancer"? Should beginners be aiming to become taxi dancers?

NO. I.M.H.O.

Minnie M
10th-July-2004, 09:01 AM
NO. I.M.H.O.

I taxi'd for Steve Nash (Ceroc Horsham) and we had a brief training session before each class learning the new moves that were to be taught in class as both lead and follow - if this is the norm for Ceroc events/classes it is certainly a recipe for good dancers. It is like a mini workshop each week.

IMO most of the Sussex crewe (non-Ceroc dance classes in Brighton and the imediate area) are just selected because they and are reliable (able to make the class each week) and they do not get any personal dance tuition or assistance.

John S
10th-July-2004, 11:21 AM
. Quite often it seems that people who would make good Taxi dancers or teachers, don't get asked because they don't fit the image i.e. not young , fit, and good looking enough. to attract new punters in.
Thanks DD, that's made my day - finally I know why I was asked to taxi!!!!!!! :what:

But to answer Gadget's original question - obviously not! There are much better dancers than I am who have never been taxi dancers, and quite possibly would never want to be.

In my experience, being a taxi dancer involves different skills from being able to dance well - most beginners can't tell anyway and it's not as important as being dependable (nothing worse for the teacher than to have taxi dancers fail to turn up), enthusiastic about the role, able to communicate and interact with beginners of all ages, and able to pass on the basic information they need in a way they'll understand (not just dancing - footwear, etiquette, workshops, parties etc). Above all, it's about trying to build on whatever it was that prompted the beginners to come along in the first place, so that they will WANT to come back.

ChrisA
10th-July-2004, 01:26 PM
being a taxi dancer involves different skills from being able to dance well - most beginners can't tell anyway and it's not as important as being dependable
I'd have to take slight issue with this... beginners may not be able to describe the difference between good and bad dancing but they sure as heck can feel it.

I know one taxi dancer that makes my blood boil whenever I see him dance - he takes a beginner in freestyle and yanks her about, and winds her up in knots with intermediate moves, as often as not leaving her obviously confused and demoralised with her inability (as she doubtless perceives it - after all, a taxi knows what he's doing, doesn't he?) to follow.

Whereas a few simple moves led well during freestyle, and maybe repeated several times, with difficulty level increased gradually during a dance but not beyond the new follower's ability, will help her believe that to dance is an achievable goal.

As well as the friendly and welcoming personality, patience and reliability we probably all agree on, I think an ability to pitch the level of the dance appropriately and lead it with care should be a minimum - for male TDs, anyway.

Returning to the question, no, I don't think everyone should feel they should aspire to be a taxi dancer. Some people learn a lot when they teach things, but it's not for everyone IMHO.

Chris

TheTramp
11th-July-2004, 12:25 PM
:yeah:

What Chris said.

Taxi-dancing isn't for everyone. And I think that only those people who have a genuine love of teaching should do it (ie. not just for the free admission or to show-off to beginners).

For the people who learn by teaching, I think that it is beneficial, however, this isn't the only way of learning, and there are plenty of other ways to improve your dancing.

Trampy

Bill
12th-July-2004, 12:30 AM
I know a few folk who would/ would have liked to have been taxi dancers but who would have been 'wrong' because either they just didn't lead well enough or didn't have the 'right' personality or commitment. I know of several dancers who have been asked but their jobs mean they can't make every week or even fortnight so they've had to decline.

There is also the issue of how long someone should taxi for. There may be several dancers who would make great taxi dancers but there may be no vacancies. Someone - venue manager, teacher, franchise holder ???? has to decide when to take on new taxi dancers and if no-one leaves then it's either asking someone to step down or just adding to the pool of staff.

Some very good dancers don't want to taxi 'cus it means giving up time to dance while some dancers feel they should be asked just because they've been coming for a couple of years !!!!

Gordon J Pownall
12th-July-2004, 12:48 AM

What Chris said.

Taxi-dancing isn't for everyone. And I think that only those people who have a genuine love of teaching should do it (ie. not just for the free admission or to show-off to beginners).

Trampy

And of course, if you find a good taxi dancer at a venue as I did when I started all those years ago, you always remember him / her. :hug:

Taxi dancers who look after beginners (which means the teaching / personality / encouragements etc.) will do a lot of good in keeping new members coming back for more (IMHO of course) :clap:

Taxi dancers who do it for ego, status or purely as a foot inside the door for free etc, etc, can do more harm than good....every seen a taxi dancer 'showing off'...??? :angry:

Unfortunately it does happen and it can have a really negative impact on a new member / dancer who can feel intimidated. :tears:

A good taxi dancer is a valuable resource well respected by teachers and franchisees alike - a rare commodity and worth their weight in gold (or revenue).... :worthy: :worthy:

stewart38
12th-July-2004, 09:31 AM
Quite often it seems that people who would make good Taxi dancers or teachers, don't get asked because they don't fit the image i.e. not young , fit, and good looking enough. to attract new punters in.

You obvioulsy havent seen the taxi dancers where I dance !. there not all fit young and good looking.

Some are good some average some bad in terms of ability.

I think they do a great job

Zuhal
12th-July-2004, 01:25 PM
Hurrah for the Taxi’s

I dance at lot of different venues.

At an appropriate moment I try and dance with the Teacher or the Demo and then ask them for feedback. I also catch a taxi dancer, toward the end of the night and ask them the same question.

It is interesting that the Taxi is much more attuned to analysing, on a one to one basis, and ready to give a few pointers. The Teacher is usually harder to dance with and nearly always gives a superficial response.

I have in the past ascribed this to the Teacher finding so many mistakes that it would be crushing to detail them all but I am wondering if the view from the stage is just too rarefied?

Zuhal

Try and get a Taxi home too, but that is another subject :whistle: .

Gadget
12th-July-2004, 10:36 PM
Think this has been covered before Gadget,...
Yea - the reason I brought it up again was that a lot of recent posts have been along the lines of "teacher/taxi" or "ex-taxi turned teacher"; the context of them bringing taxis just below the level of teacher, then all the rest of the dancers falling into line behind them. And I'm sure that a beginner sees it that way as well.

Don't get me wrong: I think that a good Taxi is worth as much, if not more to a club as a good teacher - they do a good job and help with the initial 'fix' that gets folks hooked.
However I think that it's a mistake to think that just because someone is (/has been) a taxi dancer, they are "good": they are mortals as well, and ability ranges are just as broad as within the general populous (...although I would hope there are not that many towards the 'poorer' end of the scale :devil: )

Gordon J Pownall
12th-July-2004, 11:56 PM
Don't get me wrong: I think that a good Taxi is worth as much, if not more to a club as a good teacher - they do a good job and help with the initial 'fix' that gets folks hooked.

However I think that it's a mistake to think that just because someone is (/has been) a taxi dancer, they are "good": they are mortals as well, and ability ranges are just as broad as within the general populous (...although I would hope there are not that many towards the 'poorer' end of the scale :devil: )

Well said - have some rep...

spindr
13th-July-2004, 12:11 AM
Frankly, if a club's running well then you need taxis to bring on the beginners -- but you also have to have enough "good" non-taxi dancers to encourage others along.

One club I go to semi-regularly has just made four or five new lady taxi dancers -- unfortunately from my perspective they were the most interesting ladies to dance with. Now it's great that the beginners are getting a lot of help -- but it doesn't exactly encourage me to turn up now :) (*).

So, if you haven't been asked to be a taxi, maybe it's because you're a more valuable commodity for the club as a non-taxi?

SpinDr.
(*) I'll dance with anyone from any level, but I do like to get a few interesting / challenging dances of an evening.

Gordon J Pownall
13th-July-2004, 12:14 AM
One club I go to semi-regularly has just made four or five new lady taxi dancers -- unfortunately from my perspective they were the most interesting ladies to dance with. Now it's great that the beginners are getting a lot of help -- but it doesn't exactly encourage me to turn up now :) (*).

Had this as well at a couple of venues I teach at.....more taxi dancers doing less nights on the rota seems to be the only answer...

Trish
13th-July-2004, 04:51 PM
Yea - the reason I brought it up again was that a lot of recent posts have been along the lines of "teacher/taxi" or "ex-taxi turned teacher"; the context of them bringing taxis just below the level of teacher, then all the rest of the dancers falling into line behind them. And I'm sure that a beginner sees it that way as well.

I taxi at my local venue and find it's the demos that seem to be treated as Gods and go on to be teachers around there, and the taxis come a very poor second. I think this is rather sad really as there are some very good taxis there who certainly helped me a lot when I first started dancing. As there is no sort of vetting process in Peterborough there are also some very bad taxis :angry: who give there rest of us a bad name by either not really doing any work or leading the women very badly. This tends to make my blood boil. :mad: I like taxiing and like to think of myself as a reasonably good dancer, and I personally think it's important to have a certain level of competance as a taxi, but as has already been said, a friendly, helpful informative approach are just as important.

Gadget
13th-July-2004, 09:42 PM
I hadn't really thought about it, but SpinDr made a very good point - "Regulars" are as invaluable to a club as taxis, if not more so. (and if a regualr taxis as well, all the better.) But it's the core few that turn up every week and create a sense of stability that can make a club grow.

If a beginner walks in on week 1 and dances with a few folk, notices more of the same faces on week 2, talks to them on week3, perhaps takes time off for a few weeks, then comes back and the same faces are interspersed with some new ones... It makes it more... friendly? cozey? more of an atmosphere that encourages people to stick with it and the club to grow.

Gordon J Pownall
14th-July-2004, 12:13 AM
I hadn't really thought about it, but SpinDr made a very good point - "Regulars" are as invaluable to a club as taxis, if not more so. (and if a regualr taxis as well, all the better.) But it's the core few that turn up every week and create a sense of stability that can make a club grow.

If a beginner walks in on week 1 and dances with a few folk, notices more of the same faces on week 2, talks to them on week3, perhaps takes time off for a few weeks, then comes back and the same faces are interspersed with some new ones... It makes it more... friendly? cozey? more of an atmosphere that encourages people to stick with it and the club to grow.

Can I just say :-

Regular dancers at :-

Cheshunt :worthy:
Maidstone :worthy:
Chelmsford :worthy:

Everyone of these venues welcomes new faces with open arms......and it does make a huge difference.

I make a point of dancing with all the beginners during the evening and most of them give good rep to the regulars....warm welcome...looked after me....made sure I didn't sit down for too long....were patient with me....

Worth a blo*dy fortune....!!!! :clap:

Dazzle
14th-July-2004, 01:39 AM
IMPE I find that a variety of Taxi dancers appeals to the variety of people that come through the door. Fabulous dancers as taxi's can be very intimidating to new dancers, not that they can't be or don't end up that way. I personally had no coaching as a taxi, probably why I stopped, that and the fact that I was on duty every week for months and went on to teach instead (independent)!

When I first started to Taxi I actually found, as I did when teaching, that my standard or level of dancing in freestyle actually got worse! :tears: :tears: Couldn't think of anything but beginners' moves! :sad:

I think Taxi dancers deserve whatever perks they get (free entry or whatever!) :worthy: They are as much on show and represent the club every bit as much as the teacher(s) IMHO. :worthy: I know I worked hard and deserved every free entry I benefited from. It is as important to smile, pass on enthusiasm and make people feel welcome as it is to have all the frills and flounces of being an accomplished and stylish dancer. Of course being all of these is a VERY welcome bonus! :cheers: