PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Hunt

Sparkles
1st-July-2004, 02:39 PM
The Treasure Hunt

I will be moving around the British Isles and giving you clues as to where I am.

Your task is to follow me and, each time I stop, to state my precise location.
So as you follow each step and don’t just jump to the end of the task you will be required to add up the length of my journey - please note I will take a sensible and straightforward route along known roads (wherever possible) at all times.
You will also, at the end of the treasure hunt be required to identify what the ‘treasure’ is – should you do this correctly a bonus prize of a crate of champagne will be delivered to the treehouse along with your rations for the week. You will, however, only be awarded this bonus prize on the successful completion of the main task.
You will receive the first half of the hunt today, and the second half tomorrow.
The challenge must be completed by next Wednesday on order to be successful.

Good luck!

Sparkles
1st-July-2004, 02:42 PM
The clues:

1.I start my journey at 1344

2.I then find myself in a room with 7 pillars that over 34million people walk through every year

3.My next stop is at the birthplace of James

4. & 5. And then I visit a construction that was started in AD122 and walk it's length (stopping at either end).

6.On my travels I'd want a chance
to see a special place or two
And at this next stop I'd like to dance

7.My next stop is in a Victorian Gothic building designed by A. Waterhouse

8.and when I got to my next stop it was spring so I sat on the walls and discussed yellow poetry with W.W.

9.my next stop is in a many-sided, lecture hall (though it's used for other things aswell)

10.The road of the answer to everything takes you to my last stop, this place of music.

And there I rested for the night.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2004, 02:49 PM
are you tired ? :) you started in front of the computer and ended up there too...do i win a prize?

TheTramp
1st-July-2004, 04:26 PM
So. Do we have to try to guess all the places individually, or can we just try to guess any of the places, and post our answers here??

Trampy

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2004, 04:34 PM
I made a victorian gothic building out of papier mache and changed my name to A.Waterhouse. Birthplace of James?...common name that.... also if you visitied a place that was started in AD122, why isnt it finished...its because the builders temporarily stopped to build the Scottish Parliament isnt it....

...should have called Peter Phillips :)

Sparkles
1st-July-2004, 06:21 PM
So. Do we have to try to guess all the places individually, or can we just try to guess any of the places, and post our answers here??

Trampy

It's up to the members of the house to discuss what they think are the answers and to come to a conclusion together, in whatever order they like - if people outside the house wish to offer them assistance that is up to them, but remember that Big Brother is watching!

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 11:10 AM
So. C'mon then. Does no-one have any ideas??

Don't tell me that it's too hard, and that Sparkles has beaten you all!! :clap:

Trampy

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-July-2004, 11:41 AM
i would, but im a bit busy this week :)

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 11:45 AM
Hmmm. Something happening then Mr. Smurf?? :D

Trampy

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 11:45 AM
Well, I've got a couple of ideas, and have printed off the clues for further investigation. But no time to spend right now. Sparkles has not whipped us yet :clap:

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah, yeah!!!

I reckon that you should post your ideas up as you get them then... Just to prove that you're all still alive.

I think that you're probably allowed to help each other here...

Trampy

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 11:51 AM
then I visit a construction that was started in AD122 and walk it's length (stopping at either end).

The decision was taken in AD122. Does that mean that construction started in that year? I think some scholars might disagree ...

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 12:11 PM
I could be equally pedantic and say that deciding to build it, is the start of any construction, even if it's not the actual 'physical' construction.....

But I won't :wink:

Trampy

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 12:20 PM
... so 4 & 5 might be Newcastle & Carlisle (or, for the pedantic, Wallsend-on-Tyne & Bowness) ...

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:23 PM
OK, just sharing my thoughts so far.

The construction begun (arguably) in AD122 is Hadrian's Wall. It runs from Wallsend-on-Tyne in the east to Bowness-on-Solway in the west. Or at least according to the website....

As for the Victorian Gothic building designed by A. Waterhouse - I think this must be Alfred Waterhouse who designed several buildings in the gothic style, but the Natural History Museum is regarded as his magnum opus. He also designed the courts in Liverpool, but I reckon NHM in South Kensington might be it, especially as it is opposite the Casbah which could be the place Sparkles has her dance.

Other thoughts anyone? I could be completely wrong....

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:24 PM
Pedant reporting for duty, sir!

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 12:32 PM
7 could be almost anywhere

Alfred Waterhouse is the gothic style. His designs are all over England, but most of them are in Manchester (eg the Town Hall) or London (eg the Pru building on High Holborn). Also Hove (the Town Hall, an MJ venue!), Cambridge, Leeds, Brighton etc

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 12:33 PM
is there an echo in here ... ?

echo in here ...

echo in here ...

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:38 PM
Very true. I guess it depends on whether we are supposed to be tracing a coherent route, or whether Sparkles is jumping all over the country as to which one we might pick... She has indicated it will be a coherent route.

8. I think is a reference to William Wordsworth and his poem 'Daffodils'. Didn't he spend lots of time 'wandering lonely as a cloud' in the Lake District? Will have to see if I can find where Daffodils was written....

If 8 is up north, than 7 probably won't be in London.....

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:38 PM
hello....?

hello....?

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 12:40 PM
is there an echo in here ... ?

echo in here ...

echo in here ...

Nope, it's just you.

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 12:42 PM
What? You want answers :)

Just keep guessing. I think you're both doing well so far though!!

Trampy

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:42 PM
Apparently the daffs were along the shores of Ullswater (so it says here (http://www.fawley-hants.co.uk/Council/Council-News/2004/March/Daffodil-facts-and-fiction.htm))

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 12:46 PM
We're on a roll now ..

Glasgow Central Station has seven pillars (supporting the arcade infront of the travel centre) AND "over 34 million people visit the station each year" ...

Although its not "a room" ...

DavidY
2nd-July-2004, 12:48 PM
And at this next stop I'd like to danceLast words of each line are Chance Two Dance - makes me think of the champs in Blackpool in March.

Could it be Blackpool?

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 12:48 PM
What about the 'walls' in clue 8 then Divi?? :)

Trampy

Rhythm King
2nd-July-2004, 12:49 PM
Whilst I'm not in TBBHTH, I can't resist a good quiz (and IMHO, this is a good quiz :worthy: ). Good effort Sparkles :clap: :clap:

Well... I think you started on top of Ben Nevis (1344m high), then definitely went to Glasgow Central Station. Possibly Stirling Castle next? Then
Hadrian's Wall, I'm assuming Wallsend-on-Tyne and Bowness.
6, I'm not sure about, but given your competitive Ballroom pedigree and prowess, I thought you might want to dance at the Tower Ballroom, Blackpool.
7, I'm assuming you mean Manchester Town Hall, rather than any of the colleges he built at Cambridge, or the stuff in London.
8 is obviously the Lake District, so Ullswater, presumably Gowbarrow Park, rather than Grasmere.
No idea about 9, although I feel I should come up with something, the lecture hall of the Royal Goegraphical Society in Kensington was bubbling polygonally in the background. Can't come up with 10, coz the initial letters I've got so far don't have enough vowels to make a sensible word.
Do any housemates have any better ideas? You will presumably need the overnight point to to start the next 10 clues...

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 12:49 PM
So if 2 = Glasgow, then we are in Scotland, so maybe James = King of Scotland ... James VI (=James I of England) was born in Edinburgh Castle ...

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:50 PM
Give me a break!! I've just been searching London train stations for trains which depart at 1344 :tears:

Needless to say, haven't found any going north. But then why am I assuming the journey begins in London. Should perhaps be assuming that the clue is to a place?

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 12:53 PM
Ben Nevis sounds much better than a dratted traintime! Rhythm King, you are a marvel!

DavidY
2nd-July-2004, 12:54 PM
9.my next stop is in a many-sided, lecture hall (though it's used for other things aswell)In my Uni days I went to a ballroom dancing competition at the Octagon at Sheffield University. A quick google shows that there are lectures there as well as other events.

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 12:55 PM
The summit of Ben Nevis seems more likely ... although I don't remember a road up there ...

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 12:59 PM
You're doing very well guys (I'll leave it to Sparkles to tell you exactly how well though, since it is her quiz). Though, I will tell you that guesses (Blackpool), even if right, don't count. You have to know why it is a certain place :D

Trampy

DavidY
2nd-July-2004, 01:09 PM
You're doing very well guys (I'll leave it to Sparkles to tell you exactly how well though, since it is her quiz). Though, I will tell you that guesses (Blackpool), even if right, don't count. You have to know why it is a certain place :D

TrampyCould they all be dance venues perhaps?

For instance Blitz have a venue in Wallsend, Divissima mentioned the Casbah, I've danced at the Octagon, obvious venues at Blackpool (not sure which, mind), etc.

Or is this a red herring?

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry. By 'why a certain place', I meant that you have to solve all the clues. There are dance venues in most major towns these days, so I'm not sure that helps.....

Trampy

DavidY
2nd-July-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry. By 'why a certain place', I meant that you have to solve all the clues. There are dance venues in most major towns these days, so I'm not sure that helps.....

TrampyFair enough - I misunderstood and though you meant a "certain place" in the sense of a precise geographical location (eg. Wallsend Memorial Hall, postcode of NE28 6SZ, etc.). :blush:

DavidY
2nd-July-2004, 01:41 PM
10.The road of the answer to everything takes you to my last stop, this place of music.The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. Could Sparkles be travelling along the A42 and/or the M42 perhaps. If you follow the M42 to Birmingham you can listen to music at the NEC, just off M42 junction 6. (Or you can travel into town to the excellent Symphony Hall. But NEC is nearer to the M42...)

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 01:49 PM
The clues: (and the suggested answers so far)

1.I start my journey at 1344

we start atop Ben Nevis at a height of 1344 metres

2.I then find myself in a room with 7 pillars that over 34million people walk through every year

we move on to Glasgow Central Station (which has 7 pillars and has 34 million peeps passing through annually)

3.My next stop is at the birthplace of James

James = King of Scotland ... James VI (=James I of England) was born in Edinburgh Castle ...

4. & 5. And then I visit a construction that was started in AD122 and walk it's length (stopping at either end).

We travel along Hadrian's Wall from east Newcastle (or more precisely Wallsend-on-Tyne) to west Carlisle (or Bowness)

And at this next stop I'd like to dance

Chance2Dance in Blackpool (Tower Ballroom or Winter Gardens - not sure if precise venue matters)

7.My next stop is in a Victorian Gothic building designed by A. Waterhouse

Although we have established Alfred Waterhouse was a prolific architect in the gothic style, the most logical candidates, based on a coherent route are Liverpool (Courts) or Manchester (Town Hall)

8.and when I got to my next stop it was spring so I sat on the walls and discussed yellow poetry with W.W.

Ullswater, Lake District, wandering lonely as a cloud

9.my next stop is in a many-sided, lecture hall (though it's used for other things aswell)

The Octagon in Sheffield - a dance venue, and lecture hall

10.The road of the answer to everything takes you to my last stop, this place of music.

And this is where we are stumped. Could be an anagram. Or 42 was the answer to life, the universe and everything. But still baffled - a place of music?

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 01:50 PM
OOooh, DavidY. So good, so good *tsssssss* you are smokin'!! :clap:

Thought my 42 was too off-the-wall, but fortunately you agree!!

under par
2nd-July-2004, 01:54 PM

And this is where we are stumped. Could be an anagram. Or 42 was the answer to life, the universe and everything. But still baffled - a place of music?

What about the Yellow brick road................ :eek:

Rhythm King
2nd-July-2004, 02:10 PM
The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42. Could Sparkles be travelling along the A42 and/or the M42 perhaps. If you follow the M42 to Birmingham you can listen to music at the NEC, just off M42 junction 6. (Or you can travel into town to the excellent Symphony Hall. But NEC is nearer to the M42...)

:yeah: I like your thinking. They do all seem to be dance related, except Ben Nevis, unless there's something the Scots aren't telling us...

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 02:12 PM
From Divissima's summary I can inform you that you have six completely right!
You need to be precise on location (or at least as precise as possible) - if you're not sure plump for the most likely option!
Don't forget you have to work out the distance travelled - you can ignore the initial descent! :wink:

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:15 PM
Do we have to work out the distance and all the correct answers before you give us the second half of the clues, Sparkles?

Only, I was hoping to get some work done this afternoon :tears: :blush:

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 02:16 PM
Will give you clues as soon as I finish them :blush:
promise...

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 02:17 PM
Once you get the 2nd lot of clues, you'll have even less opportunity for work Divi :hug:

Trampy

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:20 PM
Sorry Sparkles, you have done a fab job.

Three of the four I reckon we don't have 'completely right' are:

6. Blackpool, but is it Tower Ballroom (where C2D was held this year) or Winter Gardens (where they usually hold it)

7. Not sure whether is Manchester or Liverpool

10. Although based on my summary we didn't have any suggested answers for 10, since then, DavidY has suggested Birmingham. I think NEC is a better answer as it is closer to M42 as David says.

Sparkles, will you take that as our answer for 10 and revise the 'completely right' list, if it can be revised :D

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:21 PM
Clues I can handle, but try to get me calculating distances and adding them up :sick: :eek: :eek:

Divi-bear-of-little-brain-and-aversion-to-sums (kinda ironic, I know)

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 02:23 PM
After your second lot of guesses, you've still only got 6 right Divi. You'll have to be brave, and plump for one guess where you've got choices... :D

Trampy

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 02:24 PM

6. Blackpool, but is it Tower Ballroom (where C2D was held this year) or Winter Gardens (where they usually hold it)

10. Although based on my summary we didn't have any suggested answers for 10, since then, DavidY has suggested Birmingham. I think NEC is a better answer as it is closer to M42 as David says.

Sparkles, will you take that as our answer for 10 and revise the 'completely right' list, if it can be revised :D

How you going to work out distances if you're still being waffly?! :wink:

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 02:27 PM
Does anyone remember playing the board game 'Mastermind' (or am I too old?). It's a little like that. You guess 10 guesses, and then get told how many you've got right. But you don't get told which ones. So, then you have to think about it again, and guess again..... :D

Trampy

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:28 PM
Easy there!

Just canvassing opinions from the others - supposed to be a collective effort, after all. And completely agree, no point trying to calculate differences until we know exactly from where to where....

'Still' being waffly?? :tears: :wink: Come on, other BBHTH inmates - oops, I mean contestants - any suggestions? helpful hints? I can guess by myself, but a bit of backup would be appreciated here!

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify. This bit was addressed to Sparkles:

This bit was addressed to the other - er - contestants:

This bit was addressed to Sparkles:

Although based on my summary we didn't have any suggested answers for 10, since then, DavidY has suggested Birmingham. I think NEC is a better answer as it is closer to M42 as David says.

Sparkles, will you take that as our answer for 10 and revise the 'completely right' list, if it can be revised Sorry if I was unclear, in particular this last bit. My guess was Birmingham NEC, although I did go about it in a waffly way :tears: Of course we'll guess again!

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 02:36 PM
And completely agree, no point trying to calculate differences until we know exactly from where to where....

Or even "distances" :wink:

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:37 PM
We have to calculate distances!?! :really: :blush:

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 02:59 PM
What the heck! My guesses:

1. Ben Nevis
2. Glasgow Central Station
3. Edinburgh, Castle
4. Wallsend-on-Tyne
5. Bowness
6. Blackpool, Winter Gardens
7. Manchester Town Hall
8. Ullswater, Lake District
9. Sheffield, The Octagon
10. Birmingham NEC

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 03:15 PM
Probably completely wrong but, was the M1 originally billed as the answer to everything .... at one stage in the early 1960s it ran from Sheffield to London ...

Is London a place of music?

Just a guess!

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 03:18 PM

1. Ben Nevis
3. Edinburgh, Castle
4. Wallsend-on-Tyne
5. Bowness
7. Manchester Town Hall
10. Birmingham NEC

You have 8 right! :clap:

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 03:21 PM
Phew! *mops brow*

As Trampy says, now it becomes just like that game of mastermind. Any way you could help by saying whether either or both of the 2 wrong ones are completely wrong, or slightly wrong???? :D :flower:

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 03:25 PM
One is slightly wrong. The other is totally off the wall!!! :D

Trampy

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 03:30 PM
In which case, I change my answer to 6 to Blackpool, Tower Ballroom.

If I leave the answer to 10 blank, how many correct?

Rhythm King
2nd-July-2004, 03:37 PM

1. Ben Nevis
3. Edinburgh, Castle
4. Wallsend-on-Tyne
5. Bowness
7. Manchester Town Hall
10. Birmingham NEC

Hi Diva

If we're being specific, I'm inclined to think 6 is the Tower Ballroom and 8 is Gowbarrow Park, on Ullswater shores, where WW & his other half watched the Daffs dancing. Given Sparkles' ballroom history I think 9 is probably spot on. Have autoroute express on my work computer, but no time to do distance calculations at the moment - sorry. See you at Hipsters tonight perhaps?

under par
2nd-July-2004, 03:38 PM

Now that is a clever tactic...Well done Divi hope it works :clap: :clap:

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 03:43 PM
It could take all night if we can't pin down which ones are wrong!

Lory
2nd-July-2004, 04:19 PM

Ok, I think it could be York city WALLS?

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 04:20 PM

You have 9 correct
(and 10 is one of those correct ones!)

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 04:25 PM
The second set of clues:

Feeling refreshed I picked up the trail again…

11. I visited the central place of the beast

12. Then stopped as I saw two in suspense

13. My next place of rest was a bit like a snake pit

14. Mac was so backward at my next stop that I argued with him till I was blue in the face

15. At my next stop I met DB with a book.

16. I contemplated my stomach whilst landing at a distance and swigging drinks.

17. When I next stopped I joined the other people in amusing myself on something long, hard and wet.

18. I had to stop! Busy?! It’s my duty…

19. My penultimate rest was at a sparkly venue!

20. When I reached my final destination I masticated on a nice man's rump and he told me where to find the treasure...

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 04:29 PM
You have 9 correct
(and 10 is one of those correct ones!)Eh??!

My brain is aching - cos it is trying to tell me that the correct answer to 10 is blank. Can this be right? And if I change the answer to 6 back to Winter Gardens?

Or are you saying that if I change the answer to 6 is the Tower, and leave 10 as the NEC then there are 9 correct??

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 04:31 PM
The second set of clues

*gibber*Just a thought, before I descend into insanity :rofl: the first clue sounds like the Bullring in Birmingham. But maybe we didn't end up in Birmingham....

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 04:35 PM
[SIZE=4]*gibber*

The answer you put on your list to 10 was correct (so you can stop worrying about it). Blackpool is in the Tower Ballroom.
So now see who's helping you with the other clues...

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 04:38 PM
If you put in your original answer to 10, then you have 9 right. You might want to look to other help :D

Trampy

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 04:42 PM
OK, my strength is rallying:

1. Ben Nevis
3. Edinburgh, Castle
4. Wallsend-on-Tyne
5. Bowness
6. Blackpool, Tower Ballroom
7. Manchester Town Hall
8. York, City Walls
10. Birmingham NEC

Go on, my son! :clap:

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 04:48 PM
Oh, and just so you know, I have sent Trampy all the answers to the first ten (so he can check I'm not cheating and changing my mind) and he helped me with the second ten (and so knows the answers to those too) - because you're getting the first lot too easily!
Hope that's OK with everyone?!
Dav. x

PS. I'm sure he'll accept bribes if you get really stuck :wink:

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 04:48 PM
Well. Strictly speaking, it's Bowness on Solway. But knowing Sparkles, I don't think she'll hit you too hard for that!!

:clap:

Onto the 2nd set!! :D

I think that they are harder! :cheers:

Trampy

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 04:49 PM

1. Ben Nevis
3. Edinburgh, Castle
4. Wallsend-on-Tyne
5. Bowness
7. Manchester Town Hall
8. York, City Walls
10. Birmingham NEC

Go on, my son! :clap:

10/10 :clap: !!!

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 04:49 PM
Sorry Trampy. Are you saying that the ten answers are now correct.

If so, way to go, Lory!!! :clap:

Sparkles
2nd-July-2004, 04:50 PM
Well. Strictly speaking, it's Bowness on Solway. But knowing Sparkles, I don't think she'll hit you too hard for that!!

Depends how I'm feeling at the time! :wink:

Peter
2nd-July-2004, 05:08 PM
way to go, Lory!!! :clap:

Way to go, Divissima!

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 05:09 PM
14. sounds like Cambridge. Mac backwards = Cam. And what other colour is associated with the Tabs, except Blue?

Divissima
2nd-July-2004, 05:10 PM
Very sweet of you, Peter. :flower:

But I think all the ones I suggested answers to were either wrong, or someone else suggested them first. But shhhhh think I got away with it

Rhythm King
2nd-July-2004, 05:29 PM
14. sounds like Cambridge. Mac backwards = Cam. And what other colour is associated with the Tabs, except Blue?

I think that too, do you think the "two in suspense" could be the two Severn Bridges across the Bristol Channel?

Well done Lory BTW, for York. Wouldn't have got that in a million years.

DavidY
2nd-July-2004, 06:16 PM

1. Ben Nevis
3. Edinburgh, Castle
4. Wallsend-on-Tyne
5. Bowness
7. Manchester Town Hall
8. York, City Walls
10. Birmingham NEC

Go on, my son! :clap:I see no-one did any work this afternoon then... :)

Well done Divissima for collating all the responses & finally getting to the right answer. :clap: :clap: :flower: :flower:

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2004, 07:19 PM
Well done Divi and co. Sorry, no internet access for me at work :sad: however, finally home, logged on and trying to figure out some answers to the second set of clues :clap: :hug: :kiss:

DangerousCurves
2nd-July-2004, 07:19 PM
WELL DONE DIVISSIMA!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've managed to add up the mileage for the first ten, using Autoroute. It came to 722.2 miles.

I had a couple of wobbles... Autoroute wouldn't give me the location of the central railway station in Glasgow - so I just used the Centre of Glasgow itself as the reference. Does the station have another name, which the program may recognise??? Any local info would be appreciated.

For Manchester Town Hall I focused on a symbol for a municipal building in Fountain Street. Again, can anyone confirm that this is where the town hall is???

Finally, I wasn't sure which point on the city walls of York was the relevant one - so hope this hasn't thrown out the calculation.

Will this satisfy Big Brother?????

The new clues seem very cryptic. The only ones I got to grips with at all were 11) The bullring and 14) Cambridge. :sad:

Spent a lot of time looking for places with names like Chew Ass or Nor Butt for 20).... there is a Norrbotten, which got me briefly excited... but its in Sweden :tears:

TheTramp
2nd-July-2004, 07:28 PM
The new clues seem very cryptic.
Thank you :bow:

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2004, 07:35 PM
Am thinking that 16 must have a naval connection *ouch* but the swigging's got me :blush:

Tiggerbabe
2nd-July-2004, 07:42 PM
Glasgow Central station
Gordon Street
Glasgow G1 3SL

Does this help?

DangerousCurves
2nd-July-2004, 07:54 PM
Glasgow Central station
Gordon Street
Glasgow G1 3SL

Does this help?

Thanks Sheena! :hug:

Will take a look on the Autoroute and see if it alters anything!

DangerousCurves
3rd-July-2004, 02:05 AM
Am thinking that 16 must have a naval connection *ouch* but the swigging's got me :blush:

If its navel - maybe its a naval base. Could it be anything to do with Portsmouth Naval Base.... that covers the naval and the swigging (Port...Mouth). I'm still out on the "landing at a distance" bit though.... :confused:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-July-2004, 10:45 AM
If its navel - maybe its a naval base. Could it be anything to do with Portsmouth Naval Base.... that covers the naval and the swigging (Port...Mouth). I'm still out on the "landing at a distance" bit though.... :confused:
Yeah, I did think about Portsmouth but is that really was "swigging" or am I dgging too deep? :what: Still looking over the other clues though :hug: :grin:

TheTramp
3rd-July-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm glad that you're all finding these clues so tough :D :clap:

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
3rd-July-2004, 11:17 AM
Am looking at 15 now - is Reading too easy?
Oh dear, I'll never be ready for that wedding on time :eek: :wink:

TheTramp
3rd-July-2004, 11:19 AM
For god's sake, get me to the church on time.... :wink:

Trampy

Banana Man
4th-July-2004, 09:30 PM
Am looking at 15 now - is Reading too easy?
Oh dear, I'll never be ready for that wedding on time :eek: :wink:
Must be! DB - DavidB is The Oracle, which of course is in Reading.

Am I allowed to join in as a newbie?

Tiggerbabe
4th-July-2004, 10:42 PM
Must be! DB - DavidB is The Oracle, which of course is in Reading.

Am I allowed to join in as a newbie?
Absolutely! Thanks Eddie - you're a star :hug: :clap: :clap:

Dance Demon
4th-July-2004, 11:05 PM
[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=5]T I masticated on a nice man's rump and he told me where to find the treasure...

doesn't that make you go blind......

:blush: :wink:

Sparkles
5th-July-2004, 12:10 AM
doesn't that make you go blind......

:blush: :wink:

Only on a Monday... :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
5th-July-2004, 12:12 AM
Come on then Eddie - what's in Portsmouth that's "landing at a distance"? :D

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 12:17 AM
I know!! :na: :wink: :whistle: :D

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
5th-July-2004, 12:25 AM

Smug git!!!! :eek: :wink: :tears: :tears:

Dance Demon
5th-July-2004, 08:39 AM

Maybe something to do with aircraft carriers Sheena.....
:confused:

Sparkles
5th-July-2004, 09:29 AM

Trampy

Stop teasing them!
D.

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 10:40 AM
Do I have to?? :cry:

Trampy

Sparkles
5th-July-2004, 11:06 AM
Do I have to?? :cry:

Trampy

Yes.

Tiggerbabe
5th-July-2004, 01:02 PM
Well done DD - so if no 16 is the Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier Base in Portsmouth and 15's The Oracle in Reading - that only leaves 8 to do before Wednesday :wink: :D

DavidY
5th-July-2004, 01:09 PM
I think that too, do you think the "two in suspense" could be the two Severn Bridges across the Bristol Channel?Are they both suspension bridges then? (I don't know the Bristol area I'm afraid. :blush: )

Banana Man
5th-July-2004, 03:56 PM
Are they both suspension bridges then? (I don't know the Bristol area I'm afraid. :blush: )

Is it the Clifton Suspension Bridge, two towers? Could be either I guess!

#19 Could be Ealing - I know this is a Sparkles venue. :wink: There might even be a glitter ball.

#20 - the only thing I could come up with was Chewton Mendip :confused:

It's a hell of a funny route so far - Birmingham - Bristol - ? - Cambridge - back towards Reading - Portsmouth - ?? - ?? - Ealing - Chewon Mendip!!

Any clues Sparkles? Or is Steve just going to tease us some more!

Sparkles
5th-July-2004, 05:48 PM
you're a little, he-hem, off course :whistle:

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't tease you. Sparkles told me not to. And I always do what I'm told.

I'm amazed that none of the intelligent people on here have come up with answers yet. Guess they must have all been busy at work today! :tears:

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
5th-July-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm amazed that none of the intelligent people on here have come up with answers yet.
*cough* meaning what exactly, thankyou very much!!!! :tears: :tears:

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 07:38 PM
Meaning that they must have been busy at work :D

And hence, not had the time to work on the clues.....

At least finish off what I was saying when you quote me!! :whistle

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
5th-July-2004, 07:46 PM
At least finish off what I was saying when you quote me!! :whistle

Trampy
Then at least read what you wrote and what I quoted - if none of the intelligent people have come up with any answers what exactly does that make DD, Eddie, David Y and myself? :cheers:

Banana Man
5th-July-2004, 07:50 PM
Then at least read what you wrote and what I quoted - if none of the intelligent people have come up with any answers what exactly does that make DD, Eddie, David Y and myself? :cheers:

:yeah:

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 08:27 PM
Ah. Sorry. I read it another way....

I do apologise.

Trampy

Divissima
5th-July-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm wondering whether the 'sparkly venue' might be Crystal Palace?

Hmmm... we aren't doing so well on this second lot of clues...

About to compile our best guesses so far...

Divissima
5th-July-2004, 09:35 PM

The Bullring in Birmingham

14. Mac was so backward at my next stop that I argued with him till I was blue in the face

Cambridge

Reading

Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier Base in Portsmouth

17. When I next stopped I joined the other people in amusing myself on something long, hard and wet.

Crystal Palace

20. When I reached my final destination I masticated on a nice man's rump and he told me where to find the treasure...

I think we need some help here. Sparkles/Trampy - how many correct out of the above answers?

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 11:16 PM
Ummmm.....2*half right answers :D

Sorry!! :whistle:

You have one of them completely right. You just haven't listed it all....

And you do actually have another one that may be right though. You just haven't put it up on your list...

Trampy

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 11:28 PM
PS. Just to prove that I'm not a (total) sadist....

I've just written some other clues to try to help you in the right direction. But since it's really Sparkles game, and I'm just helping out, I'm going to let her see them before I post them. Hopefully she'll be on sometime tonight - or tomorrow morning...

Trampy

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm no nearer than anyone else on this one (probably further away). The only thoughts I had were these - dunno if they'll be any help to anyone :blush: :

I like the suspension bridge idea - not sure what "2 in suspense" means though.

snake - ? adder/ cobra. A bit like could be worms or something.
Or maybe an anagram? I can't help thinking one of these clues is an anagram...

I know nothing of where the Oracle lives - but before he was mentioned I was looking for an author or something whose initials were DB. Couldn't think of an author though (although I did come up with David Bowie)

Is there an amusement park with some sort of ride that might fit this description?

18. I had to stop! Busy?! It's my duty!
definite crossword clue feel to this one ...

I expect that's no help whatsoever...

Banana Man
6th-July-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm no nearer than anyone else on this one (probably further away). The only thoughts I had were these - dunno if they'll be any help to anyone :blush: :

I like the suspension bridge idea - not sure what "2 in suspense" means though.

snake - ? adder/ cobra. A bit like could be worms or something.
Or maybe an anagram? I can't help thinking one of these clues is an anagram...

I know nothing of where the Oracle lives - but before he was mentioned I was looking for an author or something whose initials were DB. Couldn't think of an author though (although I did come up with David Bowie)

Is there an amusement park with some sort of ride that might fit this description?

18. I had to stop! Busy?! It's my duty!
definite crossword clue feel to this one ...

I expect that's no help whatsoever...

Okay, I think I might have got 12. sorted. The original Severn Bridge is two separate suspension bridges - one over the Severn Estuary and the other over the River Wye!

Like the idea for 17. Any amusement park addicts out there!

Sparkles
6th-July-2004, 10:10 AM
Before I give any other clues, you're travelling away from Birmingham in the first instance on the second day - so get out of the bull-ring idea...
Hope that helps!
D. x

Sparkles
6th-July-2004, 10:17 AM
OK, Trampy, fire away...

TheTramp
6th-July-2004, 10:19 AM
Some clues...

13. A little snake maybe?

14. Cam might be got from the first part of the clue. What about the rest?

16. Landing 'thesaurus': Distance 'How long'??

17. I can ‘see’ it now.... From my voyeur place

18. Duty _ _ _ _ 'Hangman anyone'??

19. Think Davina

Hope this helps (just a little) :hug:

Trampy

Sheepman
6th-July-2004, 12:58 PM
Like the idea for 17. Any amusement park addicts out there! There's a log flume at Thorpe Park, and no doubt many other amusement parks. But it could also be a pier, or a submarine, or a large stiff drink, or . . .

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 03:29 PM
It sounds to me like a pleasure beach or pier amusement arcade. Are there any such piers left? Also Pier = peer
I can ‘see’ it now.... From my voyeur placeIs there one in Brighton?

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 03:41 PM
Google says yes. There is a Brighton pier with arcades on/in it. Could be a go-er.

Dance Demon
6th-July-2004, 03:41 PM
Some clues...

17. I can ‘see’ it now.... From my voyeur place

17. something to do with the London Eye maybe......

18. something with FREE in it?

Pammy
6th-July-2004, 03:59 PM
Google says yes. There is a Brighton pier with arcades on/in it. Could be a go-er.

Google???? I thought you guys were all genius's :rolleyes:

As for the pier with the amusements; yep, Helen won a nice little cuddly something in there the night before Britroc :grin: . Were we the only 2 that ventured out the evening before???? :confused:

TheTramp
6th-July-2004, 04:14 PM
Now you're getting the hang of it!! :D

Trampy

Sparkles
6th-July-2004, 04:43 PM
Come on Divissima, work your magic... :wink:

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 05:06 PM
Will rally the troops - but will have to wait as I have a pesky client meeting to attend :rolleyes: :wink:

DangerousCurves
6th-July-2004, 05:19 PM
No 11....Central Place of the beast....

"The beast" is a way of referring to the devil....666 and all that!

Is there a place (perhaps in the midlands) with Devil in its name?

DangerousCurves
6th-July-2004, 05:25 PM
No 14...

If the first part of the place name is Cam, and the clue also mentions Blue, its likely the place is Cambridge.

But the arguing bit may point to a specific place in Cambridge, maybe the Cambridge Union Building, where the debating society meets???

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 06:32 PM

E ?

(Apparently I have to write some more because the forum reckons "E?" on its own is too short to be a worthwhile message :rolleyes: )

Sparkles
6th-July-2004, 06:39 PM
Duty _ _ Ee

Sparkles
6th-July-2004, 06:41 PM
(psst, David Y, someone's already told you what the answer to this is...)

DangerousCurves
6th-July-2004, 06:45 PM

Probably barking up the wrong tree...but did wonder if "had to stop" meant terminate... and indicated a terminal? the link with duty free made me think of an airport terminal perhaps??

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 06:48 PM
(psst, David Y, someone's already told you what the answer to this is...)DD made a suggestion - but we didn't know (until now) whether it was right or not...

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 06:54 PM
16. Landing 'thesaurus': Distance 'How long'??

A landing for a boat could be a "dock".
How long? Maybe a "yard".

How about Portsmouth Naval Dockyard?

Banana Man
6th-July-2004, 07:01 PM
A landing for a boat could be a "dock".
How long? Maybe a "yard".

How about Portsmouth Naval Dockyard?

Makes sense - yard as in distance and yard of ale? But why Portsmouth - are there any other Naval Dockyards?

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 07:02 PM
Some clues...

13. A little snake maybe?It did occur to me that this could be The Lizard? But that's a bit tenuous as it's not the same as a snake? :confused:

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 07:07 PM

Makes sense - yard as in distance and yard of ale? But why Portsmouth - are there any other Naval Dockyards?Port is a drink you could swig in your mouth, I guess - someone came up with Portsmouth earlier on.

Had a quick look at what looks like a relevant website Naval Dockyards Society (http://www.hants.gov.uk/navaldockyard/page4.htm) and on a quick skim didn't spot any more likely ones.

DavidY
6th-July-2004, 07:29 PM

12. Then stopped as I saw two in suspenseSometimes people refer to cattle as "beasts" so the "place of the beast" could be Oxford (ie Ox) or Hereford (ie a breed of cattle).

If it's one of those 2, my guess is Hereford. Dunno what's in the centre, but I believe there's a cathedral which Sparkles could visit (and look at the Mappa Mundi apparently).

It's also the right direction if clue 12 is the Severn Bridge and we're starting at the NEC.

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 08:32 PM
No 14...

If the first part of the place name is Cam, and the clue also mentions Blue, its likely the place is Cambridge.

But the arguing bit may point to a specific place in Cambridge, maybe the Cambridge Union Building, where the debating society meets???
Hey, that's pretty good thinking. Instead of Cambridge, though, I reckon it must be Oxford (which would be along the route described). Oxford is also associated with 'blue' (dark, rather than light blue), has a long-running rivalry with the Tabs and also has a debating society - the Union Society - with a dedicated central building.

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 08:47 PM
Thinking about no. 18....

The clues so far:
18. I had to stop! Busy?! It's my duty¦

Extra clue: Duty _ _ _ _ 'Hangman anyone'??The route would fit somewhere on the coast - duty free also suggests a port of some kind (Dover for the ferries, I guess) but then there's the 'busy' clue. Was wondering about Hastings. Busy = haste? But is Hastings a port?

Also, is it in the right direction?

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 08:51 PM
Trying to round up where we are with only a few hours to go. Our answers are in red. Sparkles and Trampy - how many correct?

DavidY says Hereford (the name of a breed of cow, apparently) so I'm with him:

Hereford

The Severn Bridges, Bristol

Extra clue:
A little snake maybe?

Hmmm, all I can think of is worms? But still no places spring to mind... :tears:

Extra clue: Cam might be got from the first part of the clue. What about the rest?

Oxford Union Society

The Oracle shopping centre, Reading

Extra clue: Landing 'thesaurus': Distance 'How long'??

Portsmouth Naval Dockyard

Extra clue: I can ‘see’ it now.... From my voyeur place

Brighton Pier

Extra clue: Duty _ _ _ _ 'Hangman anyone'??

Hastings

Well, as others have suggested, the missing word appears to be 'free'.

Extra clue: Think Davina

Hipsters, Ealing

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue.... :tears:

Tiggerbabe
6th-July-2004, 10:02 PM

Hipsters, Ealing
Wouldn't be our very own Davina would it? - aka Sparkles who happens to dance at Camden, London according to the info under her name.

Chew? Nice man - no idea! Steak, beef? - Nope, me neither - sorry Divi :tears: :tears:

Tiggerbabe
6th-July-2004, 10:06 PM
Probably barking up the wrong tree...but did wonder if "had to stop" meant terminate... and indicated a terminal? the link with duty free made me think of an airport terminal perhaps??
So what's the busiest one then - if we're correct and heading to London? Heathrow or Gatwick? :sick: :eek:

DangerousCurves
6th-July-2004, 11:56 PM
So what's the busiest one then - if we're correct and heading to London? Heathrow or Gatwick? :sick: :eek:

Heathrow is the busiest.

Other thoughts...

11) Hereford makes the most sense route wise, since its logically on the way from Birmingham to Bristol... but the word "central" worries me. On a map Oxford is bang in the centre of the country :confused: so maybe its Oxford for this one, and the Cambridge Union Building for No 14) Maybe its an idea to keep in reserve if our original guesses are wrong?

13) A liitle snake...maybe an asp...I don't know any places beginning with ASP...though if we just take AS it could be ASCOT??? Not convinced myself...but getting desperate! :(

20) Is drawing a blank! If 19) is Camden, is the end of the trail likely to lead us out of London again?? Maybe its a borough or famous sight in central London , which is why we're getting nowhere considering place names!

We didn't get any extra clue for no 20)...pretty pretty please BB??? :flower:

Banana Man
7th-July-2004, 12:49 AM

Hipsters, Ealing

Despite me offering bribes at Hipsters tonight, Sparkles remained stumm and gave nothing away, although I did get some great dances whilst trying :nice: :clap:

How about Hatton Garden - the diamond centre of London?

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 12:53 AM
Trying to round up where we are with only a few hours to go. Our answers are in red. Sparkles and Trampy - how many correct?

Answers suggested by forumites/BB housemates that are correct are in Blue! Davina. xxx

DavidY says Hereford (the name of a breed of cow, apparently) so I'm with him:

Hereford

Extra clue:
A little snake maybe?

Hmmm, all I can think of is worms? But still no places spring to mind... :tears:

Extra clue: Cam might be got from the first part of the clue. What about the rest?

Oxford

The Oracle shopping centre, Reading

Extra clue: Landing 'thesaurus': Distance 'How long'??

Extra clue: I can ‘see’ it now.... From my voyeur place

Brighton Pier

Extra clue: Duty _ _ _ _ 'Hangman anyone'??

Hastings

Well, as others have suggested, the missing word appears to be 'free'.

Heathrow Airport

Hipsters, Ealing

Camden, London

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue.... :tears:

So now you have 7/10!
Good work!
Don't forget to work out the distance travelled and what the treasure is...
... and Divissima still has her other mission to contend with...

D. x

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 12:56 AM
Heathrow is the busiest.

13) A liitle snake...maybe an asp...I don't know any places beginning with ASP...

20) Is drawing a blank! If 19) is Camden, maybe its a borough or famous sight in central London , which is why we're getting nowhere considering place names!

Well done with Heathrow, DC!
These other suggestions are on the right track - get the other treehousemates to help you develop them!

D. x

Banana Man
7th-July-2004, 12:57 AM
So now you have 7/10!
Good work!

D. x

But which seven? :(

TheTramp
7th-July-2004, 12:58 AM
Good job people. Doing much better now.

Incidentally.... Clue 14 has another 'clue word'. You picked up on it, but didn't really solve it - though you got the place. But, given Oxford, Cambridge, and blue. What additional clue might the word 'argued' have given you?? :D

Trampy

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 12:59 AM
But which seven? :(

The answers in blue are right - adjusted on Divissima's summary...

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't be our very own Davina would it? - aka Sparkles who happens to dance at Camden, London according to the info under her name.

Chew? Nice man - no idea! Steak, beef? - Nope, me neither - sorry Divi :tears: :tears:

You're doing so well... don't stop now...! :flower:

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 08:03 AM
Good job people. Doing much better now.

Incidentally.... Clue 14 has another 'clue word'. You picked up on it, but didn't really solve it - though you got the place. But, given Oxford, Cambridge, and blue. What additional clue might the word 'argued' have given you?? :D

TrampyRiver Isis?? Not that it matters as Davina has conceded that one.

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 08:06 AM
Wouldn't be our very own Davina would it? - aka Sparkles who happens to dance at Camden, London according to the info under her name.Well, I was thinking of Sparkles with Ealing. I live near Camden and didn't realise there was any place to dance ceroc there - will have to get the details from Sparkles herself!

Chew? Nice man - no idea! Steak, beef? - Nope, me neither - sorry Divi :tears: :tears:Rump steak?? Beefeater? Tower of London? Crown jewels might be the treasure???????????????

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 08:09 AM
So now you have 7/10!
Good work!

D. xOK, well I've had a stab at guessing what the treasure is.... Do I have to be more specific? Koh-i-noor diamond :drool:

I haven't forgotten my other mission - but Big Brother never specified a time by which it had to be completed and we don't have all 20 places yet. Waiting to pin down the last three :tears:

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 08:13 AM
Only three more to crack here inmates - er, I mean housemates!

Not Hereford (or presumably Oxford as it is below - although, has Sparkles ever said she wouldn't visit the same place twice?)

Extra clue:
A little snake maybe?

Beefeaters at the Tower of London (treasure = Crown Jewels)

Well I've had a guess at this one - waiting for Sparkles to shoot me down :wink:

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 09:46 AM
I won't ever visit the same place twice.

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 09:47 AM
But what about the Tower???

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 09:50 AM
Beefeaters at the Tower of London (treasure = Crown Jewels)
Well I've had a guess at this one - waiting for Sparkles to shoot me down :wink:

You're exactly right! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done!
But remember, you only get the extra prize (the crate of champagne) on completion of the entire task...

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 09:51 AM
But what about the Tower???

Give me a chance to type a reply! :wink:

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 09:55 AM
Give me a chance to type a reply! :wink:Sorry :blush: :flower: I'm trying to create a frenzy of last-minute clue-solving!

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 09:57 AM

Extra clue:
A little snake maybe?

How about DC's guess of Ascot. Snake = asp (bit like = as). Little snake = baby = cot??

Clutching at straws here!

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 10:20 AM

Extra clue:
A little snake maybe?

How about DC's guess of Ascot. Snake = asp (bit like = as). Little snake = baby = cot??

Clutching at straws here!

Might it be useful to have a look at a sensible route at this point? (hint hint!)

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 10:29 AM
Might it be useful to have a look at a sensible route at this point? (hint hint!)
Point taken - does anyone have a good road atlas to hand? Or can someone point me to one online?

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 11:22 AM
Place of the Beast: Leominster?

Snake pit: Bath? Cirencester?

The maps aren't really helping :tears:

Banana Man
7th-July-2004, 11:37 AM

Have got the atlas out, also searching www.streetmap.co.uk for places beginning Asp - no success. Divissima, what's the concensus on 11 - beef related or devil related? Well done on pulling it all together - again!! :cheers:

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 11:44 AM
Have got the atlas out, also searching www.streetmap.co.uk for places beginning Asp - no success.You star, Eddie! :hug:

Divissima, what's the concensus on 11 - beef related or devil related? Well done on pulling it all together - again!! :cheers:Don't talk daft, man! Consensus???! Can't think of any places devil related - in terms of their name. Leo = lion hence Leominster, but a lame guess :blush:

Banana Man
7th-July-2004, 12:05 PM
You star, Eddie! :hug:
Don't talk daft, man! Consensus???! Can't think of any places devil related - in terms of their name. Leo = lion hence Leominster, but a lame guess :blush:

Straws time again - how about DEVizes, a bit south of the M4 going from Bristol towards Swindon, or even Chippenham which has a large Cattle Market? Told you they were straws!

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 12:34 PM
OK, Trampy has been begging me to let him tell you this for ages, but he's not around so...
the original, and much easier version of this clue was:

11. I visited the central place of the mythical beast

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 01:01 PM
much easier :rofl: :tears:

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 01:02 PM
Mythical beasts:

dragon
unicorn
mermaid
siren

Cirencester?

Banana Man
7th-July-2004, 01:34 PM
Mythical beasts:

dragon
unicorn
mermaid
siren

Cirencester?

Mythical Beasts

Abatwa
Ajatar
Aziza
Banshee
Basilisk
Beast of Bodmin
Bigfoot
Boggart
Browny
Centaur
Chimaera
Cyclopes
Dragon
Dryad
Duergar
Dwarf
Elf
Fairy
Feeorin
Goblin
Gorgon
Griffin
Hag
Hippogriff
Huldrefolk
Huracan
Hobgoblin
Knockers
Kappa
Kobold
Kraken
Leprechaun
Loch Ness monster
Mermaid
Mimi
Mo-o
Nagumwasuck
Naiad
Nereid
Nymph
Odhow
Orc
Phoenix
Pixy
Polevik
Pooka
Redcap
Roc
Salamander
Satyr
Sea serpent
Seelie
Sluagh
Smurf
Spriggan
Squonk
Taniwha
Tarasque
Troll
Trow
Unicorn
Vampire
Werewolf
Wight
Wyvern
Yeti

I didn't make the list up - I found it, does opens up a few more possibilities - too many. Bodmin sounded good 'til I figured out where it is. More clues please Sparkles :flower:

Dance Demon
7th-July-2004, 01:47 PM
Is there anywhere on the route that starts with Middle.......as in central place.?

Sparkles
7th-July-2004, 02:46 PM
More clues please Sparkles :flower:

You've had sooooo many clues now - don't think I can give many more!

D. x

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 03:36 PM
The first 10 places came to 722.2 miles. using Autoroute.

For 11) I'm beginning to wonder if the name of the beast is in the name of the place.....or if its a place associated with a mythical creature with a wholly unbeastly name??? Does that help anyone?

there's just this and the wretched snake one left to solve :tears:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 03:50 PM
Found some ASP places using the Gazetteer of British place names... including one between Birmingham and Bristol....

Aspley Heath Warwickshire

Could this be right???

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 04:00 PM
Could the mythical beast one be COVENTRY...its central and contains a COVEN ???

TheTramp
7th-July-2004, 04:14 PM
or if its a place associated with a mythical creature?:yeah:

I'd maybe look at Divi's first guesses of beasts if I were you!! :wink:

Trampy

Edited to make it even more obvious

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 04:17 PM
Mythical beasts:

dragon
unicorn
mermaid
siren

Cirencester?

Trampy says its one of these!!!!!!

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 04:22 PM
Coventry is in the wrong direction, though.

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 04:24 PM
Having checked all 4 in the Gazetteer.... none seems likely:

Dragon...

Dragonby Lincolnshire
Dragons Green Sussex
Dragon's Hill Dorset

Unicorn - no listings

Mermaid - no listings

Siren - no listings

Cirencester - presume already rejected????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 05:17 PM
Re-Read Trampy's message...

So its a place associated with a Dragon, Unicorn, Mermaid or Siren... but without the beast necessarily in its name....

Off we go again :what:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 05:20 PM
The Dragons of
the British Isles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locations:

This is a list of the marked locations on the map opposite that have connections with Dragons:

Avebury, Bamburgh, Baslow, Betws-y-Coed, Bishop Auckland, Brent Pelham, Bretforton, Brinsop, Bromfield, Bures, Burley, Castle Neroche, Cawthorne, Chipping Norton, Crowcombe, Dartford, Deerhurst, Dinas Emrys, Dunstanburgh, Durham, Gunnerton, Henham, Highclere, Horsham, Hughenden, Hutton Rudby, Kellington, Ker Moor, Killerton, Kilve, Kingston, Lewannick, Linton, Little Cornard, Llandeilo Graban, Llyn Cynwch, London, Longwitton, Ludham, Lyminster, Middlewich, Mordiford, Norton Fitzwarren, Norwich, Nunnington, Oxford, Penmynydd, Penshaw, Renwick, Saffron Walden, St Leonards Forest, Shervage Wood, Slingsby, Sockburn, Strathmartin, Tanfield, Trull, Uffington, Wells, Westbury, Wharncliffe, Wherwell, Wiveliscombe, Wormbridge, Wormingford, Wormhill, Wormshill.

Will now try to narrow it down.... :what:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 05:24 PM
UFFINGTON????

where st George slew the dragon - there is a place called dragon hill - and no grass will grow there because the dragon's blood fell there????

(fingers crossed!)

Or Deerhurst (gloucestershire),

Bretforten (Herefordshire), or

Chipping Norton? All of which have dragon connections!

Dance Demon
7th-July-2004, 05:49 PM
It might be a long shot but, Wales is associated with Dragons, and the main Centre in wales is Cardiff.......which is over in the general direction from Bristol & the Severn bridges..........and of course Trampy is Welsh...... :)

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 05:58 PM
It might be a long shot but, Wales is associated with Dragons, and the main Centre in wales is Cardiff.......which is over in the general direction from Bristol & the Severn bridges..........and of course Trampy is Welsh...... :)

Brilliant!

Arrange in a sentence.... "see couldn't I for wood trees!" :blush:

I was even thinking its strange we haven't gone into wales! Doh!!!!

Just one to go.... the wretched snake.....

Divissima
7th-July-2004, 06:13 PM
Wales sounds likely, in which case the part of the clue about it being 'central' seems downright misleading! :tears:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 07:19 PM
Thought maybe ASP could be Aspinall.... there is an old family of that name with stately homes, zoos etc, - but they seem to all be in Kent - unless anyone knows differently! :wink:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 07:49 PM
Another thought....

there is a reptile collection with lots of snakes at the Cotswold wildlife park and Gardens in Burford Oxfordshire. The map shows it to be half way between Bristol and Oxford!!!!

I won't give up....stubborn Celt...Me ??? :blush:

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 09:33 PM
There is also an Ascott-under wychwood???

and a Savernake Forest????

and an Adderbury?????

DangerousCurves
7th-July-2004, 10:34 PM
I have added up the route so far (leaving out the wretched snake place till we get some feedback on all the suggestions made, but including Cardiff) and it comes to 501.9 miles. The first lot came to 722.2, so thats a total of 1224.1 miles.

The treasure in the Tower of London is housed in the Jewel House (in case BB is v picky!!!)

DavidY
8th-July-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm still stumped by the outstanding clues. I did wonder if the "little snake" might be a name for a baby snake (in the same way that a "little cow" would be a "calf"). Also are there any snakes in literature/music etc. (for instance what's the snake called in the Jungle Book)?

Is Cardiff right? Definitely think we're looking for dragons in Wales, but Cardiff isn't really in the centre of Wales?

Still stuck I'm afraid :sad:

TheTramp
8th-July-2004, 09:39 AM
:clap:

Well done Mr. Demon.... To take it a little further, Trampy is also from Cardiff. Which is the main Centre of Wales - being the capital, and also the Centre of Welsh government. :D

Trampy

TheTramp
8th-July-2004, 09:42 AM
Hmmm.... I think that the snake in clue 13 might be a mixed up little Roman snake :whistle:

Trampy

Banana Man
8th-July-2004, 11:25 AM
Hmmm.... I think that the snake in clue 13 might be a mixed up little Roman snake :whistle:

Trampy

Roman Snake - Asp - mixed up - Spa - How about Bath, that's a spa town with roman baths?

Banana Man
8th-July-2004, 11:56 AM
The second set of clues:

Feeling refreshed I picked up the trail again…

Cardiff

Bath

Oxford

The Oracle Shopping Centre, Reading

Brighton Pier

Heathrow Airport

Camden, London

20. When I reached my final destination I masticated on a nice man's rump and he told me where to find the treasure..

The Tower of London

The Treasure is the Crown Jewels

Assuming 13 is correct the shortest mileage starting from the NEC (clue 10) is 420.

C'mon Sparkles and Trampy - Have we done it?

TheTramp
8th-July-2004, 12:02 PM
Looks good to me. But I'm only the flunky!! :whistle:

<Ignore what was here. I didn't read your entire post. Sorry>

Just gotta wait for Sparkles or Big Brother!! I might let her use the computer a little bit when she gets here!! :D

Trampy

DangerousCurves
8th-July-2004, 01:28 PM

In case BB is worried about us giving the last answer today (WELL DONE EDDIE :clap: ).... Divissima did throw out this guess a few days ago and got no reply ....so I think we're home and dry :hug: :hug: :hug:

TheTramp
8th-July-2004, 01:36 PM
Divissima did throw out this guess a few days ago and got no reply ....
She did. But her guess was:

Which was just a real stab in the dark (presumably based on getting from the Severn Bridge to Oxford), so since the premise all along has been that the idea was to solve the clue, it was ignored :D

Trampy

PS. The extra bit of the clue in the Oxford one -> "argued" = "rowed". Which (pronouncing it differently!) is one of the sports you get a blue for. And of course, the Oxford/Cambridge boat race. So, if you argued (rowed) against "Cam", you'd get Oxford.

Well. You all knew that I was twisted. Didn't you?? :D

Divissima
8th-July-2004, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousCurves
Divissima did throw out this guess a few days ago and got no reply ....

She did. But her guess was:

Quote:

The maps aren't really helping

Which was just a real stab in the dark (presumably based on getting from the Severn Bridge to Oxford), so since the premise all along has been that the idea was to solve the clue, it was ignored Well as the additional clue from Sparkles was to look at a sensible route, I think it is exessively pedantic not to give us this one.

PS. The extra bit of the clue in the Oxford one -> "argued" = "rowed". Which (pronouncing it differently!) is one of the sports you get a blue for. And of course, the Oxford/Cambridge boat race. So, if you argued (rowed) against "Cam", you'd get Oxford.Well, if you're going to be pedantic, you could equally say that rowing takes place on the river (in Oxford they row on the River Isis), which was one of the guesses I made, and actually, the boat race between Oxford and the Tabs takes place between Putney Bridge and Barnes Bridge (I think) in London.

Am I sounding in a big enough huff yet?? :devil:

Well. You all knew that I was twisted. Didn't you?? *bites tongue* *gibber*

Big Brother
9th-July-2004, 01:13 PM
Big Brother Hollow Treehousemates, this is Big Brother.

Congratulations on the successful completion of the Treasure Hunt challenge (even if it was a day late :whistle: )

Your supplies (150%) and crate of champagne will be delivered this afternoon

Please will all treehousemates vote in Divissima's poll by Sunday night - if you do you will receive a mystery bonus prize.

Also please PM nominations for evictees and post reasons for same in the Diary room.

BB

Divissima
9th-July-2004, 01:21 PM
Party! :clap:

Banana Man
9th-July-2004, 03:07 PM
Party! :clap:

It's three on a Friday, where's the champagne, shouldn't we be partying by now! :cheers: :cheers:

Divissima
9th-July-2004, 03:29 PM
Eddie has a point :waycool:

Dance Demon
9th-July-2004, 03:33 PM
Okie....clear a space for dancing, and I'll put the music on..... :clap: :clap:

Tiggerbabe
9th-July-2004, 06:05 PM
:clap: :clap: Fantastic - boogie time! *boince*

DangerousCurves
9th-July-2004, 07:00 PM
Ladies, Gentlemen....