PDA

View Full Version : Beach Boogie

DianaS
29th-June-2004, 02:06 PM
Hiya folks,

I've just booked onto beach boogie (yes I know I said I wouldn't, and couldn't, and shouldn't, but hey I'm only human), and should be meeting up with a coupla mates from down South there, I've just emailed them to let them know I've broken and have booked, they booked AAAGESS ago!

If you know of any one who is going from around here (West Midlands) and fancies sharing the petrol and ferry cost can you ask them to drop me a private!

Beach Boogie 2004
Sunday 18th July to Friday 30th July 2004

you know it makes sense! :D
See ya!
Diana

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 02:42 PM
I can't help with the car sharing - wrong area, and a full car already, but look forward to seeing you there.

Greg

DianaS
29th-June-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks Greg,

(Sorry I can't bring myself to call you Sheepman) Apart from blister pads, muscle spray, sun cream, ear plugs, plenty of clothes and a costume from the deep blue sea is there any thing else REALLY essential that I shouldn't do without?

I've never been before and am REALLY excited!
Diana

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 03:58 PM
is there any thing else REALLY essential that I shouldn't do without? Apart from unlimited stamina and energy, I can't think of anything. Perhaps a few bottles, but we usually end up taking most of them home still full. Maybe lots of snacks, but then that's all available there, maybe we can have an SFG in the snack shack?

Oh, what about a costume FOR the deep blue sea? Large bucket and spade for the sandcastle competition. Matchsticks to prop up the eyelids?

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
29th-June-2004, 04:37 PM
It'll be my first time too, which will coincide with being on my honeymoon :) It better be good :)

Anyone travelling back up north after it ? we need a lift to Scotland ! :) or at least London so we can get a train :)

Rhythm King
29th-June-2004, 04:42 PM
Don't forget your custard-proof clothing and a large water pistol. I normally take a travel fridge, for milk and beer/wine. Last year, one first timer, who was camping by the way, read the suggested packing list at face value and lugged a full length mirror down with her.

DianaS
30th-June-2004, 01:27 PM
Don't forget your custard-proof clothing and a large water pistol. I normally take a travel fridge, for milk and beer/wine. Last year, one first timer, who was camping by the way, read the suggested packing list at face value and lugged a full length mirror down with her.
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if the fridge will come out of my sister's camper van!

Peter
30th-June-2004, 02:38 PM
... read the suggested packing list ..

Is there a copy of this online? Is it similar to the Camber list posted recently on another thread in here?

under par
1st-July-2004, 02:25 PM
Is there a copy of this online? Is it similar to the Camber list posted recently on another thread in here?
What to Wear
For airsteps:— shorts, jogging bottoms or something similar, trainers, T-shirt, swimwear or underwear that doesn’t fall off! No jewellery for both your safety and your partner’s.

For other classes:— light clothing allowing freedom of movement, dance shoes or dance trainers, and if you want to try the tap don’t worry, tap shoes aren’t necessary, but if you can, bring non-sticky, hard-soled shoes.

For evening dances:— whatever you wear to go out dancing at home (you can be as smart or as casual as you wish). Some evening dances will be themed, so costumes/special wear will be needed. However, we know how tedious it sometimes can be to find appropriate clothing and not only that, but to pack it as well. So, don’t worry, the themes will be easy to provide for. We will send you details on this with your info’ pack.

It is a good idea to bring at least two pairs of dance shoes as you could be wearing them quite a lot, and it’s not much fun if they start to rub. A selection of dance shoes will be available from our Beach Boogie shop.

What to Bring
Washing up liquid, tea towel and other boring stuff like that.
Water pistols and other exciting toys like that.
Loads of Red Bull – it’s available on site but cheaper to buy wholesale in advance.
Loads of energy (or Red Bull)

Thats all there is on the web site!!!

RobC
1st-July-2004, 02:26 PM
I've just been emailed this today:

WHAT TO BRING
Here are some suggestions as to what to bring based on our knowledge of the site and what people have brought in prior years. These are only suggestions, none are essential but some could be useful.
Clothes pegs
Full-length mirror!!
Extension lead
Boogie box
Tennis racquets, frisbee, football, kites, any other stuff for outdoor sports
“Glad rags’ for the Big Night and outfits for the theme nights (more on this later)
Swimming costumes (Yes, there is a pool. Outdoors. Unheated. You will go in!)
Buckets and spades for the sandcastle comp’
Suntan lotion, Cool bags, Bottle openers, Towels – lots of
And Hev’ Mate, our Entertainments Organiser, has requested that you all bring as many of the biggest, most powerful water guns you can lay your hands on
The 'Theme' this year is Under the Sea. I wonder how many people will turn up as mermaids ? :rolleyes:

spindr
1st-July-2004, 03:21 PM
The 'Theme' this year is Under the Sea. I wonder how many people will turn up as mermaids ? :rolleyes:

You've definitely got the legs for one Rob :whistle:

Rhythm King
1st-July-2004, 03:34 PM
I've just been emailed this today:

Well me old partner in custard crime, you can always put on that blue sparkling number you wore for the blues comp :wink:

Sheepman
1st-July-2004, 04:24 PM
It is a good idea to bring at least two pairs of dance shoes :rofl: :rofl: Am I the only one of the male species that will be taking at least 6 pairs with me, (none of them sparkly though!) Don't forget that there are 3 different floors (plus grass) to cope with, and the main floor won't be the same on day 1 as it will on day 6.

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
1st-July-2004, 04:39 PM
i only HAVE 6 pairs of shoes :) Well maybe 10, but only 1 pair of dance shoes :).

Hmmm i see a poll coming on.....:)

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-August-2004, 01:58 PM
I'll bring back this thread for a few thoughts on.....

Beach Boogie 2004 (Get the DVD)

Thanks to Tor, Hevmate, and all the great teachers and other helpers for a brilliant week. I didnt witness all teachers first hand but I did get about a bit.

I can confirm what I already knew - Amir is brilliant but I can now also state that he is hilarious having witnessed several comedy turns from 'Ballet with Ball' to 'Gay Rocky Horror Fish' - you had to be there. He had a great demo in Yuko too.

Adam and Tas were fantastic, as were Nigel and Nina, Dan the Man, Johnny, Lindsay and Brady....I think thats all the teachers I personally witnessed but I heard nothing but good things about the rest of them too. Apart from.....me....when I helped Lindsay demo the shake a tail feather routine and couldnt coordinate my arms round and point...must be a mental thing. Or maybe I was traumatised after throwing Bruntz at Lindsays head..and connecting..during the Punters Cabaret ! Watch for that on DVD. Lindsay gets kicked in head, blacks out for a second but keeps on dancing. I lost sleep over that one. Sheesh! Best bit of the Punters Cabaret was the Johnny v's Amir dance off when they swapped dance styles....ow my ribs :)

The food was pretty good too and the lunchtime menu was reasonably priced. Cant complain about the chalets either as even the worst ones were comparable with Southport - although I never saw the self-catering ones.

Anyone want to add thoughts, criticisms and luvvie thoughts ? :)

Sal
2nd-August-2004, 02:28 PM
Nick!
Thanks goodness someone has finally started talking about it! What a fantastic week! From gossiping in the snack shak to smooth moves on the dance floor, I enjoyed every minute of it. Was a bit apprehensive when we were roped into the scots caberet, but that was great fun even on two hours rehersals! Respect to Lindsay, who kept dancing even with concussion.
The teaching line up was brilliant even if I couldn't get what they were trying to teach! :blush: However, Amir stands out due to an immense sense of humor (I don't bend over, due to too many years at ballet school!)
Shona and I drew the short straw and had a cold water only bath in our chalet, so many thanks to all whose mornings were gate crashed in order that we did not smell in the classes!
Great to meet so many people - hope to see you all soon at some event or other. Thanks for all the wonderful dances. So, who is going next year.........!

latinlover
2nd-August-2004, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=Dreadful Scathe]

Thanks to Tor, Hevmate, and all the great teachers and other helpers for a brilliant week. I didnt witness all teachers first hand but I did get about a bit.

I can confirm what I already knew - Amir is brilliant but I can now also state that he is hilarious having witnessed several comedy turns from 'Ballet with Ball' to 'Gay Rocky Horror Fish' - you had to be there. He had a great demo in Yuko too.

...... Best bit of the Punters Cabaret was the Johnny v's Amir dance off when they swapped dance styles....ow my ribs :)
:yeah: :rofl:
The food was pretty good too ...[QUOTE=Dreadful Scathe]

:yeah: for £9 per day ? what was there to moan about???

we had the most fantastic time :clap: :cheers:
never been to a dance holiday before - not even a weekender anywhere didn't know what to expect , worried about how our nearly 9 -year old twins would deal with the whole dance overkill thing!
we had nothing to worry about!!!
- massive respect to all the organisers but especially to Tor, Tas, Adam and all those involved with the "young offenders" who helped make our family holiday BRILLIANT! :cheers:
Amir is a star, but I've known that all along
(Franck we need a smug "told you so " smiley Please)
- Nigel,Nina & Andy & Rena you HAVE to have him back next year

HEV MATE you are a star also :flower: .....thanks for all you did ,especially the "Olympic Games" - the twins had a great time -
and the Pantomime and the encouraging words before the blues competitiion... :wink: (She told us to make the audience believe we were going straight off to bed after the dancing......... no problem :yum: :wink:
- have you SEEN Mrs Latinlover dance???? :drool: )
as it happened I was so tired we had to wait til Sunday Night - oops! too much information sorry Sue :whistle:
I could write an essay here but I have work to do .I did just want record my amazement and thanks to EVERYONE concerned and we WILL be back next year because the twins (Drew & Edwina , for those of you who were there but didn't realise they were twins) have demanded it!!
Dreadful Scathe you are a great dancer and nice person , very pleased to have met you and your new wife- I was surprised at how similar you look to your avatar!!! : :D
Thank you to all the amazing ladies I met to dance with
thank you to the Blues judges - FWIW we are still GOBSMACKED!!!! :sick: :what: :confused:
an all round superb holiday Thankyou Beach Boogie
Neil & Sue :cheers:

dannyboy
2nd-August-2004, 04:03 PM
You Scots are all MAD :cheers:
Well done to the Jump & Jive team, another top week of tomfoolery and dancing :clap: And next year has been confirmed already, with more lindyhop to keep the swing people happy. Well done to the Blues and Aerials competitors it was a truly entertaining night.

Sheepman
2nd-August-2004, 04:50 PM
Anyone want to add thoughts, Why did it have to end? :tears: :tears: :tears:

Oh yes I know,
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
sorry just dropped off there for a mo, I have never spent a whole week with so little sleep, I just didn't want to miss anything. I also don't think I've spent a week where I laughed as much!
Maybe next year I will be sensible, and break that record of never going to bed before the music stops . . .

Greg

RobC
2nd-August-2004, 05:02 PM
Maybe next year I will be sensible, and break that record of never going to bed before the music stops . . .

And there goes another flying pig ...... :rofl:

RobC
3rd-August-2004, 01:58 AM
If anyone is interested, the photos I took at Beach Boogie are now on my webserver here (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/bb04/index.html).

Peter
3rd-August-2004, 08:05 AM
If anyone is interested, the photos I took at Beach Boogie are now on my webserver here (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/photos/bb04/index.html).

GREAT PICS ....

Lindsay
3rd-August-2004, 09:10 AM
Just woke up...
Some of my Beach Boogie photos are at HERE (http://linz.webspace.fish.co.uk)

One of the best BBs yet, great company, lovely dances, and most of all, a brilliant laugh!! Thanks to Brunts for driving us down :-) It's a long way but beats flying :eek:. Punters cabaret was such a laff- even the kick in the head was funny, looking back (but at the time I don't remember much). It was all a blur.... Funny how your feet keep going despite the brain having stopped (no comment).
Looking forward to the swing splurge next time, IT WAS SOOOOO MISSED!! Nice tunes in the Swing room though by Gary Boon, Rena and Andy.
Amir was on top form, his classes were packed, he was teaching some great stuff. Nigel & Nina were absolutely brilliant in their classes, cabaret and their choreography. Andy & Rena did an awesome cabaret and taught some FAB stuff- not enough swing though :-( Gary & Sara why did you leave so soon??? Never got the chance to do your classes :-( Adam & Tas were fantastic, really really stylish and funky, great dancers- another great cabaret! Johnny was out of this world, was a privelage to demo with him (once when Rena was away!) and every class focused on technique, frame, body isolation, connection- lovely! Kerrin's & co. double trouble- excellent!!! Didn't go to any other classes/teachers. Brady and I got the chance to teach some Boogie Woogie classes which was a fantastic. Thanks Nik for helping me out with Tailfeather, & don't worry, nobody noticed your clockwise/anticlockwise thing....
Dave, Fi and Brady were hilarious in the in blues comp, they should have got a prize! :worthy: I enjoyed being Nick's (Mr Blobby's) lion, but we struggled to stay funny after our 3 rehearsed moves :sick: and were trying hard not to sabotage the proper entries...!
Great organisation Jump'n'Jive, glad next year is confirmed, thanks to you and your fantastic team!! :clap: :worthy:

dannyboy
3rd-August-2004, 07:48 PM
Great organisation Jump'n'Jive, glad next year is confirmed, thanks to you and your fantastic team!! :clap: :worthy:
:yeah: