PDA

View Full Version : Reading group suggestions

jivecat
28th-June-2004, 06:45 PM
It's my reading group meeting tonight and it's my turn to choose the next book we are going to read. Trouble is, I haven't got a clue what to choose. Haven't been to a bookshop, haven't read any reviews- too busy dancing. Has anyone got any recommendations? Something that will provoke a good discussion, not too lowbrow, but definitely not too highbrow (I've got to read it, after all) and summed up in one sentence. Please, please rescue me, otherwise it'll have to be my fall-back position, Middlemarch.

Franck
28th-June-2004, 07:04 PM
It's my reading group meeting tonight and it's my turn to choose the next book we are going to read. Trouble is, I haven't got a clue what to choose. Haven't been to a bookshop, haven't read any reviews- too busy dancing. Has anyone got any recommendations? I asked my wife (who is also a book club member) for the latest hits and this is a few suggestions she came up with:

The God of small things - Arundhati Roy (Beautifully written / thought provoking and heartbreaking :nice: - Booker prize winner 1997)

The Secret history - Donna Tart (atmospheric / dark, intriguing)

The life of Pi - Yann Martel (bizarre / illuminating - Booker prize winner 2002)

Personally, I would have recommended a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, or maybe Christopher Brookmyre, but I'm quite low-brow myself :wink:

Good luck!

Franck
28th-June-2004, 07:14 PM
To offer further help, and also to resurrect a very useful thread, you can read about everyone's favourite books (amongst other things) on this thread called Forum Profiles. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9098#post9098)

Nick M
28th-June-2004, 07:20 PM
I would highly recommend "A prayer for Owen Meaney" by John Irving. A modern classic, with an accelerting tempo and a gripping ending.

Nick

Emma
28th-June-2004, 08:53 PM
Funny, I've been meaning to start a book review thread....I'd start a reading group thread, but I know I don't have the discipline to read things to order! :nice:

latinlover
29th-June-2004, 08:44 AM
try the Philip Pullman "Northern Lights" trilogy
yes I know it's a children's book but it raises some surprisingly adult questions - and it(and its two sequels) is a rip-roaring adventure. I found it un-put-downable!
or does that just display my immaturity?

Chicklet
29th-June-2004, 09:03 AM
Can def recommend "the Secret History"!

One of those that maybe isn't so startling as you're actually reading it - but in the week - two weeks after, you realise how fab it was because you really miss it!

(Still can't get into her second book (the Little Friend) for some reason - anyone managed it?)

Can't disagree with Latin Lover either, the Dark Materials are fab.

Personal Fav of recent times "The Emperor of Ocean Park" Stephen L Carter.
Read this on a beach in Barbados after finishing Roots and not thinking ANYTHING could hold my attention ever again, it did!.

(But then this is coming from someone who has just re-read the Flambards Series and cried all over again, and often spends time with Stanley Gibbons part 19)

Let us know how you get on - I'm with Em, book threads are us!

C :D

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 09:15 AM
A fantastically moving portayal of China (sounds heavy but is amazing), is Jung Chang's Wild Swans.

I initially thought it was going to be the paper equivalent of a chick flick - how wrong I was.

The story of five generations of women from the days of concubines and warlords, through the cultural revolution up to the current day, Jung Chang charters her own, her mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmonthers and great, great grandmothers lives in the setting of one of the most 'advanced' eastern societies.

An amazing read.....

Divissima
29th-June-2004, 09:23 AM
How about 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime', any of the 'No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency' books, or Bill Bryson's superb 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' (the last one isn't a novel, though).

'A Prayer for Owen Meany' is one of my all-time favourite novels :clap: It is quite long - and some people find it takes a long time to get going.

For something shorter and easier to get into, most of Carl Hiassen's novels are excellent.

I just love books - my favourite part of the working day is my bus journey in the morning, armed with some great reading material.

Sparkles
29th-June-2004, 09:51 AM
'Memoirs of a Geisha' is probably one of the best books I've ever read, so that would be my suggestion.
Not to offend Mrs Franck, but I would avoid 'God of Small Things' if I were you, it's not the sort of book I would read more than once and some of the issues are rather sensitive. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Hope the meeting went well?

Emma
29th-June-2004, 09:51 AM
If you liked 'Wild Swans' then try also 'Memoirs of a Geisha' (Arthur Golden) or 'The Joy Luck Club' (Amy Tan).

I'm currently nearly through 'Brick Lane' (Monica Ali) which is a good'un (oh, my powers of review amaze me). I loved 'The Curious Incident'. Divi if you like Carl Hiassen then you shoud read Christopher Brookmyre - they have a similar dark sense of humour. (Oh, and he's Scottish ;) ).

I just got the Bill Bryson for my birthday but it's in the queue behind Olivia Joules and Vernon God Little. Obviuosly I must read Owen Meany too :)

My most recent thoroughly good read has to be 'The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break' (Steven Sherill) which is just beautifully written (and honest I don't normally go fo those 'beautiful evocative writing' novels). It's about the Minotaur (duh) who being immortal has now had to get a job and is working as a short order chef. Really fabulous book.

I could go on and on (and on and on and on). :flower:

PS has anyone read 'The Remains of the Day'? Dunno why but I suddenly have the urge to read it.

Sparkles
29th-June-2004, 09:52 AM
If you liked 'Wild Swans' then try also 'Memoirs of a Geisha' (Arthur Golden) or 'The Joy Luck Club' (Amy Tan).

Great minds :grin:

Chicklet
29th-June-2004, 10:14 AM
PS has anyone read 'The Remains of the Day'? Dunno why but I suddenly have the urge to read it.

of course!! Also Loved When We Were Orphans.

And other things keep coming back to me The Piano Shop on the Left Bank - TE Carhart SUPERB!!

And strangely Our Man in Havana was done in "one sitting" one rainy weekend recently.

Emma
29th-June-2004, 10:17 AM
And strangely Our Man in Havana was done in "one sitting" one rainy weekend recently.Yeah, great book :nice:

Another book club suggestion Perfume - Patrick Suskind

Nick M
29th-June-2004, 12:54 PM

TRotD is gorgeous - lyrical, poignant, tragic.

Other recommendations -

Paul Theroux "My secret history" (dark, compelling and disturbing - "Mosquito Coast" is also great, and his travel writing is very evocative)

Yann Martell "Life of Pi" (wierd but very readable fable)

"Wobegon Boy" and "Radio Days" by Garrison Keillor if you want something lighter

"Against a Dark Background" by Ian M Banks (His science fiction is better than his conventional fiction, and this book is stunning)

The Robertson Davies trilogies ("Deptford trilogy", "Cornish Trilogy") are excellent too.

Enjoy!!

Stuart M
29th-June-2004, 01:06 PM
How about something Irish? I'd recommend 'The Third Policeman' by Flann O'Brien (quite surreal in places though), or something by Roddy Doyle (especially one of the Commitments trilogy - The Van is my favourite).

Rhythm King
29th-June-2004, 01:07 PM
Definitely concur with the Pullman "His Dark Materials" trilogy, "Perfume" and "The Secret History". I'm a great fan of AS Byatt myself, ("Possession", particularly) but also read everything by Pratchett (including the childrens books, I'm on "A Hatful of Sky" at the moment). I also read Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin novels and David Gemmel's heroic fantasy stuff (no comments thanks :wink: )

Emma
29th-June-2004, 01:22 PM
"Against a Dark Background" by Iain M Banks (His science fiction is better than his conventional fiction, and this book is stunning)
Uurgh I've tried very hard to like Iain Banks' science fiction and I just don't seem to be able to get into it. On the other hand 'Whit' is one of my favourite books of all time, I loved 'Complicity' and 'The Crow Road' also 'Espedair Street' springs to mind...horses for courses, I guess!

I vaguely remember reading 'The Van'....must've been a long time ago :)

I too have read and enjoyed the Dark Materials trilogy, as well as the 'Ruby in the Smoke' series. As a primary schoolteacher I have a valid excuse for reading children's books (it's my excuse anyhow and I'm sticking to it!). Phillip Pullman has also written some sensitive and readable teenage-level 'issues' type books (kindof like Jaqui Wilson for older kids). In the fantasy department I also recommend the 'Wind on Fire' series by William Nicholson.

latinlover
29th-June-2004, 01:35 PM
I also read Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin novels :yeah: I've devoured these myself -and ladies (yes,yes, sweeping generalisation and sexual stereotyping...., I know:blush: ) ,they're not just blood'n'guts swashbucklers(although there is a BIT of that in them..) , - they are great social/historical fiction and 'adventures against the odds', type of things..err... literary criticism not my strongest suit...:whistle:

philsmove
29th-June-2004, 02:11 PM
My favourite book of all time is

News from Tartary by
Peter Fleming
(brother of Ian Fleming)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1843410036/customer-reviews/026-8862443-7723625

Sparkles
29th-June-2004, 02:23 PM
David Gemmel's heroic fantasy stuff (no comments thanks :wink: )

We wouldn't dare :wink:

Rachel
29th-June-2004, 02:40 PM
Dying to know what you chose now, Jivecat - do let us know??

Have to agree about A Prayer for Owen Meany - one of my favourites, too. Oh, and someone else's post made me think of Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy, which is amazing. I was also reminded of Julian Barnes - History of the World in 10 1/2 chapters - incredibly funny. And an all-time favourite - William McIlvanney's Docherty - which broke my heart...

Not to offend Mrs Franck, but I would avoid 'God of Small Things' if I were you, it's not the sort of book I would read more than once and some of the issues are rather sensitive. God of Small Things is definitely in my top 3 - I love it so much! Unbelievably sad but so beautiful. When I first read it, everything - the ideas, the emotions - all made so much sense, as if I'd always known these things, but had never been consciously aware of them before. It was like waking up to myself.

The only reason I wouldn't have recommended it, was because I was convinced it would already have been chosen. Not sure I understand what you mean about 'rather sensitive'? You mean because of the racism? Or because of the sex scene? Isn't that the point? Don't most great books deal with sensitive issues?
Rachel

DangerousCurves
30th-June-2004, 02:16 PM
I just re-read "God of Small Things" this weekend - and really enjoyed it. Beautifully observed, and the sad inevitabilty of the story line made it impossible to put down.

Can really recommend Janette Winterson's "The Passion" as an all time favourite read - if you can suspend your disbelief for a bit of magic realism...

jivecat
30th-June-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks very much indeed for all your helpful messages. I had decided to choose Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment although not sure if it would be a popular choice. When Middle march was mentioned our Most Intellectual Member pricked up her ears hopefully and enthused about it being one of the finest novels in the English language. An awkward moment was averted when it was decided that another member would choose this time due to diary date changes. Phew! So we're reading Brick Lane by Monica Ali, which suits me just fine.

I was fascinated to read your suggestions - keep 'em coming.

We have already read quite a few of them in the book group, which just goes to show what good taste you all have! Including:
Dark Materials Trilogy- no way just for kids.
Perfume- completely weird and totally memorable
Life of Pi
When we were Orphans
God of Small Things
Memoirs of a Geisha- unputdownable evocation of a lost world, a narrow theme, perhaps, but excellent storytelling.
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.
A Prayer for Owen Meany- No narrow themes here! The meaning of life with a hefty dollop of sixties American politics told in a wonderfully inventive and entertaining manner. Rich symbolism only fully revealed by the climax of the novel. I was particularly pleased and surprised to find so many people had mentioned it as John Irving does not seem to be particularly widely read or regarded but this book was one of our most successful choices ever.

My personal favourites:
The Secret History- I've read it 3 times and hopefully will understand what's going on by the 4th.
A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth- A long, luxurious read with incredibly engaging characters that you really care about and miss when it's over. You can skip the sections on 1950s Indian politics without losing the thread!

Thanks also for all the suggestions of books and authors that I'd never heard of. The original idea of the reading group was to encourage me to
expand my reading to include work I might otherwise not have encountered and this thread will do the same.

Divissima
30th-June-2004, 08:07 PM
Don't know if it's too late now, but I was just reading through this thread again (picking up some suggestions for future reading) and a few books came to mind that I wish I could experience again for the first time:

The Summer Tree (and the other books in this fantasy trilogy) by Guy Gavriel Kaye
The Drowned and the Saved by Primo Levi
And some wonderful books recently:
Any Human Heart by William Boyd
What I Loved by Siri Husevdt
The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears

Does anyone fancy a Forum book club at all? I don't really have time to go to a real-time book club, but if there is a choice of two books each month and a thread to post on, might it work? Just musing aloud really - but if anyone has any other burning recommendations please post (or PM me). I've almost run out of books stockpiled to read....

Emma
30th-June-2004, 09:05 PM
disgraceful ~snip of interesting post I shall return to later :)

So we're reading Brick Lane by Monica Ali, which suits me just fine.
Would love to hear what you think about this book, I'm just off to bed to finish it!

jivecat
30th-June-2004, 10:28 PM
Does anyone fancy a Forum book club at all?

Certainly do.

I don't really have time to go to a real-time book club, but if there is a choice of two books each month and a thread to post on, might it work? ..

Yes, I was thinking about this. I don't see why it wouldn't work, the only thing is, how would the books get selected? We could, say, plan out a list of 12 books to cover the next 6 months, but how on earth would we shortlist 12 books? Have a forum poll? Ask Franck to omnipotently moderate?

philsmove
30th-June-2004, 11:45 PM

:yeah:

There is something a little frightening about this forum

We all have a of love dance but I keep finding other kindred spirits
First gardening,

Now a group with very similar taste in reading matter

So the ideal of a book club is very appealing

DangerousCurves
1st-July-2004, 03:34 AM

:yeah:

Count me in - great idea!

DavidY
1st-July-2004, 07:49 AM
Does anyone fancy a Forum book club at all? I don't really have time to go to a real-time book club, but if there is a choice of two books each month and a thread to post on, might it work?Ooh, look - a new section of the Forum called Ceroc Scotland Book Club...

Well it's July now - I guess the next step is that someone literate posts a poll suggesting choices for this month?

Divissima
1st-July-2004, 09:14 AM
Rather than necessarily planning a shortlist of 12 books, why don't we nominate people to pick each month, and maybe pick 2 so that people who don't fancy one can read the other. Saves all that pesky democratic agreement rubbish :wink:

Emma has suggested a book for July - I'm happy to go with that :waycool:

Monika
1st-July-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi
...just discovered this thread: Excellent :)
I read a lot of books and even set up a library at my previous work (...all bookshelves at home filled and thought I'd share some of my books with others rather than trying to fit in more bookshelves). :)
One of my favourite books of all times is "Tracks" by Robyn Davidson
fascinating book about a womans solo trek across 1700 miles of Australian outback. Amazing to read about what someone went through to reach their goal. One of those inspiring books that forces you to re-think about what you really want in life.
Happy reading
Mon x :flower: :flower:

Happiness seems made to be shared

Emma
1st-July-2004, 09:26 AM
Rather than necessarily planning a shortlist of 12 books, why don't we nominate people to pick each month, and maybe pick 2 so that people who don't fancy one can read the other. Saves all that pesky democratic agreement rubbish :wink:

Emma has suggested a book for July - I'm happy to go with that :waycool::blush:

I didn't actually *read* the bit about a poll..but I like the idea of forging ahead without polls :)

I really like the idea of having two books, nice one Divi!! Does someone want to suggest another book for July? Then mebbe start another thread or stick the suggestion in the Brick Lane thread (if that happens I'll change the title of it).

Chicklet
1st-July-2004, 09:32 AM
Slightly off topic but serious question - does any one know of a web site or a way of using a search engine that would bring up "novels set in X country"???

I read something set in 20s 30s Egypt many many moons ago (no not Death on the Nile doh) and cannot for the life of me remember what it was!

Divissima
1st-July-2004, 10:35 AM
I hadn't realised there was a poll suggested either - but trying to get everyone to agree even a longlist of books would take far too long!!

Emma
1st-July-2004, 10:40 AM
Slightly off topic but serious question - does any one know of a web site or a way of using a search engine that would bring up "novels set in X country"???
Speaking as someone who uses the scatterbrained approach to search engines, have you tried:

novels set in Egypt

?

Franck
1st-July-2004, 11:09 AM
I hadn't realised there was a poll suggested either - but trying to get everyone to agree even a longlist of books would take far too long!!My fault for not making the "initial" rules clear (and feel free to ignore them anyway, it's your book club! :D

The idea is that everyone interested in joining in, would take turn at picking 3 books (by themselves) and then set up a simple (time limited) poll (with short description) so that everyone could select the final book. There would be no discussions, just a quick vote.
However, as I said, feel free to make up your own rules and I'll amend the Forum description accordingly.

Emma
1st-July-2004, 11:13 AM
There would be no discussions, just a quick vote.
on THIS forum?! :wink: :grin: :hug:

(sorry sorry sorry, irresistable...!! :rofl: )

Divissima
1st-July-2004, 11:30 AM
The idea is that everyone interested in joining in, would take turn at picking 3 books (by themselves) and then set up a simple (time limited) poll (with short description) so that everyone could select the final book. There would be no discussions, just a quick vote.
Well, that sounds reasonable too. Rather than debate things at length, maybe post up a brief description of three or four books then people pick one. The top two get adopted and those who want to read one? Is that a workable suggestion? We could give it a go and see how it works, then amend later.

I'm happy to volunteer 4 books for August and set up the poll, with a description. Anyone got any objections?

Emma
1st-July-2004, 11:36 AM
Sounds good to me :nice: My only question is how does one describe books one has not read? (but I have no idea how reading groups usually work, do people usually suggest things they've read, or no?)

And do we want to run with Monica Ali or shall I make a poll for three books for July?

Divissima
1st-July-2004, 11:43 AM
Up to you, Emma. If you post a poll, at least you know how many people are likely to be taking part. I will read Brick Lane.

I appreciate your point about summarising a book you haven't read. I was thinking that the picker could either pick mostly books they had read, if they wanted, or just post up the description from the back cover of the book if they hadn't!

CJ
1st-July-2004, 01:15 PM
As I do need to read more, can I be the token bloke?

Oh, a minor issue: how exactly does a book club work? :confused:

CJ

Stuart M
1st-July-2004, 01:32 PM
As I do need to read more, can I be the token bloke?

That depends on whether you're buying them or selling them. But it would be useful, seeing that it's a book club.

Chicklet
1st-July-2004, 01:57 PM
beautiful delivery there S :worthy:

under par
1st-July-2004, 02:02 PM
That depends on whether you're buying them or selling them. But it would be useful, seeing that it's a book club.

:rofl: :yeah:

under par
2nd-July-2004, 02:25 AM
Yes, too many to list. And I'm rather lazy and give up quickly. That's why it's good for me to have the discipline of participating in a reading group, otherwise I wouldn't get much beyond the back of the cereal packet in my literary forays.

Tom Sharpe books are amazingly funny farces and cover a range of subject matter,

Some books have made it to tv series status. Blot on the Landscape, Porterhouse Blue, and film WILT
The author is a genius of farce you can see the plot thicken but still laugh out loud at the consequences.
Indecent exposure a story of life in the South African police is a fantastic laugh.

philsmove
2nd-July-2004, 08:46 AM
Tom Sharpe books are amazingly funny farces and cover a range of subject matter,

Tom Sharp seems to be out of fashion but his novels are Hilarious :rofl:

WILT is based on his time in the 60s at Cambridge Technical College, were he tried to teach myself and other inattentive students. The caricatures in the book can all be recognised. The Teacher of “Gas fitters four” was my Physics Teacher

Scullion was base on my friend’s dad who was a porter at Trinity College

If any has the TV version of Blot I flew the balloon that took Blot from East to West Germany

The scene took a day to film, blink and you will miss it

inktomi slurp
2nd-July-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm very fond of 'Charlotte's Web'.

jivecat
3rd-July-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm very fond of 'Charlotte's Web'.

I'm sure you'd also enjoy certain sections of Lord of the Rings.

inktomi slurp
3rd-July-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm sure you'd also enjoy certain sections of Lord of the Rings.Oh yes! I do!!

inky x x