PDA

View Full Version : To ask or be asked - rapacious row

jivecat
28th-June-2004, 04:01 PM
Most times it seems to me that if you want to dance, you need to ask. No good just waiting, a lot of the time the change of partner at the end of a track happens
quickly and if you're not active you won't get a dance. I guess this is more so when there are lots of ladies, but anyway I think guys like to be asked as much as girls do.

At our venue there are almost always more women than men, so I don't see how the problem of men being in demand can be avoided. If you sit at the side looking demure all evening, waiting to be asked, you are going to end up wasting your extortionate £7 entrance fee! My idea of a blissful ceroc evening is when I get asked most of the time, because then I don't have to worry about whether the guy is just agreeing to be polite (although a few dispense with that courtesy). I had a night like this at Coventry last Saturday- thanks everyone.

I don't mind if I do have to ask (it cuts both ways) but I have a sort of mental hierarchy of how I go about it.
1. Start of the evening. Anyone with legs that happens to standing nearby.
2. Regular partners that often ask me. Salt of the earth, thanks, fellas.
3. A beginner or someone who looks like they might like someone to ask them.
4. Mid evening. Search out friends/people I haven't seen for a while/old faves.
5. Late evening. Personal improvement time. Find a dance god and dance with him quick before I fall over with exhaustion. It might not be a pleasant experience for him (or me) but needs to be done in the interests of expanding my dance repertoire. Sorry, fellas.
6. Anyone else that looks like they might be fun to dance with, or a revisit of earlier fun partners.

I've had miserable evenings where I've not felt confident to get up and ask, and have sat at the edge feeling like a wallflower, but this hardly ever happens now, so I think persistence must pay off.

I'm completely amazed by all these stories of guys getting turned down. Gus?? Did he say that? But doesn't he fall into category 5 (see above)? But it's also kind of reassuring. Turn up at Leicester on one of those nights when there's 15 spare ladies, chaps, and you would need a ten ton truck to carry your ego home in. More Rapacious Row than Refusal Row!

Totally off topic and that's half the afternoon gone.

Dreadful Scathe
28th-June-2004, 04:52 PM
You started the thread yourself - how can you be off topic ? :D

Sheepman
28th-June-2004, 05:23 PM
You started the thread yourself - how can you be off topic ? :D Methinks I sniff a split thread here.

Jivecat, your strategy sounds far too organised to me, I'll need a while to think about if my dance evenings follow any rules like that.

Greg

jivecat
29th-June-2004, 09:00 AM
You started the thread yourself - how can you be off topic ? :D

Now I'm really confused!?!
And Lily B's going to be cross with me!
Quick, diversionary tactic- what are hoppers and coasters, Sheepman?

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2004, 10:02 AM
I almost always ask, mostly because I'm so quick to find my next partner someone would have to be fast to ask me - at least that's my excuse for rarely being asked to dance:tears:

My strategy is usually the following;

1. The next nearest woman (sometimes guy:wink: ) that I haven't danced with yet.
2. Late evening, try to get a dance with those people I've missed.

Sitting down looking bored or being engrossed in a conversation is no defence against being asked by me - you came to a dance after all :innocent:

I do occasionally try to choose a particular partner for a particular track: when I know someone likes, or dances particularly well to fast, slow, swing, etc.

p.s. I do sometimes get turned down, I hope they never tell me why :flower:

Lory
29th-June-2004, 11:12 AM
I don't mind if I do have to ask (it cuts both ways) but I have a sort of mental hierarchy of how I go about it.
1. Start of the evening. Anyone with legs that happens to standing nearby.
I don't really have a set pattern but for the first couple of tracks of the evening, my preference would be to dance with someone I know pretty well, someone I feel really relaxed with, cos I'm always rubbish for the first couple :( and I know I've had evenings where I've felt under pressure to impress and then I've cocked it up and then I've lost confidence and then the rest of the night was ruined too![/quote]

Sitting down looking bored or being engrossed in a conversation is no defence against being asked by me - you came to a dance after all :innocent: I'm soo the opposite to that, I always look for the friendliest, happyiest, smiling faces, I feel I'm on a safer bet that way! ;)

I do occasionally try to choose a particular partner for a particular track: when I know someone likes, or dances particularly well to fast, slow, swing, etc.
Which category do I fit into then? :D :whistle:

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2004, 11:38 AM
Which category do I fit into then? :D :whistle:

All of them:waycool:

..and a couple of special categories too:whistle:

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 02:15 PM
Quick, diversionary tactic- what are hoppers and coasters, Sheepman? Too late for diversions I think, but hoppers - Lindyhoppers, and coasters - West Coast Swingers, they may only be abbreviations that I use, I gather in the USA they use the term Westies, but I don't care for dogs :wink: "Swingers" doesn't quite work either. (Even though a London MJ club was initially called "The Swingers Club"!)

Greg

under par
30th-June-2004, 01:54 AM
Methinks I sniff a split thread here.

Jivecat, your strategy sounds far too organised to me, I'll need a while to think about if my dance evenings follow any rules like that.

Greg

Jivecat, some nights I have my dance with anyone head on but occcasionally, very rarely, I sit down and wait to be asked that is if i'm asked cos really I don't care if i'm asked or not.!!!
But mainly I try to dance with every woman dancing, standing or sat down.. and I work my way around the dancefloor until the music stops or I have danced with all the women. I do accept repeat dances as I go round.

Gadget
30th-June-2004, 08:29 AM
I knew this had come up before:
Fess up guys, how do you ask a lady to dance?? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1757)

Andy McGregor
30th-June-2004, 09:19 AM
I knew this had come up before:
Fess up guys, how do you ask a lady to dance?? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1757)

Very interesting thread - aren't they all :whistle:

I noticed quite a few contributions from Chris (with no 'A'). We haven't heard from him for ages: did everyone stop asking him to dance or something?

Also, did anyone else notice how nice and short Gadget's post was?:devil: I remember reading something years ago about long letters, "I'm sorry this letter's so long, I didn't have time to write a short one".

Gadget
30th-June-2004, 12:26 PM
That's because the posts in that thread are lengthy enough :innocent: :na: