PDA

View Full Version : Moderating in Social Events forum

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 10:53 AM
Ummm. I'm not sure that people read the forum as I do. I basically look at the front page, and when I see that there is a new message in a forum (from the icon changing), I go into that forum, look for the thread with the new message in, and read it. Hence, I never look at the links for 'new posts today' or whatever it is.

In the social forum, now that it's moderated, when new posts appear, they (for some reason) come through as 'already read', and the new post icon isn't activated. I find this strange. Is there a reason, and is there anything that can be done about it?

Trampy

Franck
28th-June-2004, 11:10 AM
In the social forum, now that it's moderated, when new posts appear, they (for some reason) come through as 'already read', and the new post icon isn't activated. I find this strange. Is there a reason, and is there anything that can be done about it?Yeah, the moderation system doesn't work as I would like it to :sad:

I have done something about it and removed the moderation (for new posts - new threads will still wait in a queue until approved). So things should be back to normal for most of you.
Moderation will now take the form of (temporarily) removing any post that is advertising and directing the poster towards the 'Commercial membership subscription'.

Thanks for everyone's patience over the last few weeks! :flower:

DavidY
30th-July-2004, 01:23 PM
How does time of moderation affect the "last posted" time in Social Events?

If someone posts a new thread in Social Events at for example 10:00, but doesn't get moderated till 14:30, is the time on the post 10:00 or 14:30?

I think I missed a couple of Social Events threads recently, and wondered if this was why?

under par
30th-July-2004, 01:32 PM
Ummm. I'm not sure that people read the forum as I do. I basically look at the front page, and when I see that there is a new message in a forum (from the icon changing), I go into that forum, look for the thread with the new message in, and read it. Hence, I never look at the links for 'new posts today' or whatever it is.

In the social forum, now that it's moderated, when new posts appear, they (for some reason) come through as 'already read', and the new post icon isn't activated. I find this strange. Is there a reason, and is there anything that can be done about it?

Trampy

Steve I read the threads via the "recent posts" button at top of screen of most threads selecting the "last day" option.

You then end up with a complete list of all threads that have been posted on in last 24 hours. Has the benefit of you not getting distracted in one forum so you miss a thread in another forum. :cheers:

Franck
30th-July-2004, 01:43 PM
How does time of moderation affect the "last posted" time in Social Events?Hi David,

I believe the moderation doesn't affect the original posting time. The thread will still appear in the 'new posts' though.

The 'unread posts' system is not really perfect and does mean that threads / posts can be missed... It is a good idea to periodically search for posts in the last 24 hours or last 2 or 3 days, to make sure you didn't miss anything (assuming you care that much :wink: )

DavidY
14th-September-2004, 06:50 PM
Am I right in thinking a batch of Social Events threads just got "moderated" recently and are showing on the forum?

I didn't realise there was already a JiveMasters 2005 thread for instance?

There are also three threads from people asking for accomodation shares at weekenders in November, which never got replied to publicly (although obviously I can't tell if there were responses by PM). Incidentally these are Camber Nov (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3672), Camber in November - help please (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3614) and Spare places in chalet for Warmwell - 6/7 November (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3537)
if you're interested.

I wonder if people who would have been interested missed them because they view the forum by looking for unread posts or even posts in the last 24 hours.

Is there a way of distinguishing between advertising social events and questions about eg. accomodation shares etc. which maybe wouldn't need moderation? Could there be separate areas for instance?

Failing that, maybe the description of Social Events on the forum home page could be changed to remind people to check this one in a different way to catch events that take a day or two to get moderated.

It's a tricky area so probably not an easy answer. :tears: :confused:

Sheepman
15th-September-2004, 05:34 PM
I wonder if people who would have been interested missed them because they view the forum by looking for unread posts or even posts in the last 24 hours. Well I saw one of them, but not the other two, maybe you are right about the 24 hour thing, but I frequently use the "Recent Posts" search, and didn't see them there.
There again with these type of posts, which have specific requests, the fact that no one has posted a reply may just indicate that the issue has been resolved by pm. I think it is down to the thread starter to highlight the thread if it is still a current issue. How long does the moderation take for posts to existing threads in the Social Events?

Greg

DavidY
15th-September-2004, 06:30 PM
Well I saw one of them, but not the other two, maybe you are right about the 24 hour thing, but I frequently use the "Recent Posts" search, and didn't see them there.
There again with these type of posts, which have specific requests, the fact that no one has posted a reply may just indicate that the issue has been resolved by pm. I think it is down to the thread starter to highlight the thread if it is still a current issue. How long does the moderation take for posts to existing threads in the Social Events?I also missed your question a while back about dancing in Warwick :blush: (A shame as I may even have been able to give a sensible answer as I'm not far away from that area).

I suspect people aren't seeing them. I take your point about specific accomodation requests, but the forum counts how many people have viewed a thread, and currently only two people (and one of them's me!) have even viewed Sat 18th September Brighton Mencap Charity Ball (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3657). Could understand people not replying, but I'd imagine more people would at least open up a thread to look at it.

I agree it's up to the thread starter to highlight, but it might look a bit odd if you start a thread and then reply to your own first post to make it appear on the "new posts" list (even though it's for a good reason at the time).

Sheepman
16th-September-2004, 01:50 PM
I suspect people aren't seeing them. . . . but the forum counts how many people have viewed a thread I think you are proabably right, and I should have looked at the number that had viewed before replying. I do get the feeling that there is less of the "who's going to . . .?" activity on the forum since the subscription changes (Apart from the BFG of course!) Maybe there is a case for a "personals" section within Social Events? Of course a number of people have blatantly got around the rules by "advertising" events in other areas of the forum, that they are involved in.

Greg