PDA

View Full Version : Q. for techies - GPS

Lou
25th-June-2004, 02:33 PM
Just on the offchance, knowing that we have a number of techies on here, has anyone played around with GPS data at all?

I know it's an odd question! Sorry!

Dreadful Scathe
25th-June-2004, 03:09 PM
yes got a gps card for my laptop - most map programs understand the data it spews out automatically - autoroute for example ..... or if you go to multimap.co.uk you can type in the location info it gives out to get your position that way so you dont need another program.

Lou
25th-June-2004, 06:02 PM
yes got a gps card for my laptop - most map programs understand the data it spews out automatically - autoroute for example ..... or if you go to multimap.co.uk you can type in the location info it gives out to get your position that way so you dont need another program.
:grin: Except when you're building a bit of software that needs to take location info in various formats from various GPS standards & convert it to others! ... It was a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone'd played around with the actual data. I've been reading technical specs & feeling quite dazed with the complexity!

Gadget
25th-June-2004, 08:21 PM
I know a man who can... I'll see if he's interested and pass on your e-mail address.

Lou
27th-June-2004, 09:46 PM
Gadget - you're a love! :hug:

philsmove
28th-June-2004, 08:06 AM
There is an article on GPS the current issue of PC Pro I can also send you a copy of an article in the current Balloon Magazine written by Jeremy Hinton who is also in BRISTOL

Lou
28th-June-2004, 11:36 AM
There is an article on GPS the current issue of PC Pro I can also send you a copy of an article in the current Balloon Magazine written by Jeremy Hinton who is also in BRISTOLPhil - I should've thought of you! I'll get my hands on the PC Pro, pronto. Thanks, mate. :hug:

I love this place! You can get answers to the most diverse questions.... :clap:

Stubob
28th-June-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi Lou,

What you upto? Are you back at AT?

Stubob

Gadget
28th-June-2004, 01:00 PM
Gadget - you're a love! :hug:Sorry lou, my ability to send PM's seem broken just now :( and I can't get your e-mail address from the forum - can you PM me with it and I'll pass it on.

bigdjiver
28th-June-2004, 01:32 PM
Google has a usenet search facility - http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_group_search
"GPS format conversion" brings up over 2000 topics
This is a superb research tool giving free, uncensored facts and opinions on virtually any subject, from all levels of expertise. The archive goes back years, and there are many different ways of selecting results.

philsmove
28th-June-2004, 11:03 PM
I love this place! You can get answers to the most diverse questions....

Yes I agree but how on earth is a chap going to find time to dance

What with Gardening; Religion; Wimbledon; Reading Groups and GPS distracting him
:what:

DavidY
21st-June-2005, 11:23 PM
There is an article on GPS the current issue of PC Pro I can also send you a copy of an article in the current Balloon Magazine written by Jeremy Hinton who is also in BRISTOLCan a GPS tell you which way is "Up"? :whistle:

(BBC Story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4114512.stm))

philsmove
22nd-June-2005, 02:41 AM
How its done