PDA

View Full Version : Northwich 3rd July

Mary
24th-June-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm stuck in Blackpool for 2 weeks again and I have a day off on 3rd July. I gather there is a bit of a 'do' at Northwich (Blitz) on that evening. Are there any other forumites going who I might bump into if I go?

M

Gus
25th-June-2004, 08:34 AM
Yup ... above half a dozen or so :waycool: Hoping that Nessie and Aflie will be up from Brum, Dazzle from Chester and (hopefully) a surprise guest from London :grin: Please make sure you introduce yourself to me ... I'll be the quiet one hiding behind the decks.

PS ... will be having a fun dance competition so be prepared to grab someone on the night.

Jayne
25th-June-2004, 09:36 AM
PS ... will be having a fun dance competition so be prepared to grab someone on the night.
[picks herself off floor] Gus is having a dance comp???? But I thought dance comps were evil? :devil: [recovers in a darkened room]

J :flower:

Gus
25th-June-2004, 10:03 AM
[picks herself off floor] Gus is having a dance comp???? But I thought dance comps were evil? :devil: [recovers in a darkened room]

J :flower:

Of course they are ... what the competitors dont know is that when they get taken to the 'staging room' ... there is no way out... :devil: :devil:

Seriously, though I dont like competing, I think dance competitions are a superb way of encouraging dancers to improve their dancing and can be an inspiration to those watching. The problem only comes in when egos get in the way, as they always do.. :mad:

Zuhal
25th-June-2004, 10:33 AM
I think dance competitions are a superb way of encouraging dancers to improve their dancing and can be an inspiration to those watching. The problem only comes in when egos get in the way, as they always do.. :mad:

There is the other problem that as a Novice, competing in a DWAS, you are concentrating so hard and trying to do well that you end up dancing like a muppet. :D

Gus
25th-June-2004, 11:56 AM
There is the other problem that as a Novice, competing in a DWAS, you are concentrating so hard and trying to do well that you end up dancing like a muppet. :D

But its not DWAS .. its a proper competition ... sort of. Same rounds as DWAS but you get to pick your partners. To make it fair(ish), no teachers allowed to neter (and I aint getting into debates as to whom is a teacher) and judges from Blitz, Ceroc (tbc) and Independants.

Just wich Bill was here ... first rounf would be Zoot Suit Riot followed by Mambo No. 5 :devil:

Mary
25th-June-2004, 08:29 PM
Gus, I will make sure I come and introduce myself and hopefully grab you for a dance. We were at Beach Ballroom in Feb. and Tony met you but I missed an introduction. So will rectify that.

Looks like I'll be tracking some poor unsuspecting chap for a partner in the comp.

See you Saturday then. :flower:

M

TheTramp
25th-June-2004, 08:47 PM
To make it fair(ish), no teachers allowed to neter (and I aint getting into debates as to whom is a teacher) and judges from Blitz, Ceroc (tbc) and Independants.

Just wich Bill was here ... first rounf would be Zoot Suit Riot followed by Mambo No. 5 :devil:
Please explain this to me again??

You can't enter if you're a teacher - even if you haven't won anything before.

But someone who won 3 places at the London Ceroc champs this year, and places at the both the last 2 Blackpool and 2 London Ceroc champs (and I gather has been previously put forward to become a teacher) can (and indeed, is being wished to enter).

Just who is this fair on?!?

(No offence to you Bill, I just still struggle to understand this whole teacher concept thing, so I'm seeking further clarification).

Trampy

Alfie
26th-June-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi Guys,
Sorry but me and Nessie will be unable to attend on account we will be In Ibiza that weekend. See you all soon. Mary, will look out for you in the future unless we've met already.

Gus
27th-June-2004, 09:43 PM
Please explain this to me again??

You can't enter if you're a teacher - even if you haven't won anything before.

But someone who won 3 places at the London Ceroc champs this year, and places at the both the last 2 Blackpool and 2 London Ceroc champs (and I gather has been previously put forward to become a teacher) can (and indeed, is being wished to enter).

For God's sake pal ... its FUN ... a FUN competition ... just for FUN!! What part of this premise dont you understand? The whole idea of these events is people like me trying our best to get more people like ordinairy dancers interested in improving their dancing ... without 'other' people letting their overinflated egos get in the way of the FUN! Want to know what is even less fair ... if I think we've got some 'pros' competing, I'll knock them out on the first round ... how about that being nasty. :devil: I want people to enjoy a competition without feeling intimidated .... all those who want to take it serious have got enough choice already.

If you're going to argue about my simple posting so far I'd hate to be around you when you start trying to argue the rules in a game of monopoly :tears:

Lounge Lizard
28th-June-2004, 08:42 AM
If we teach we become profesionals therefore not eligable to enter many catagories in major comps and smaller 'non profesional' comps like Gus's.
If you are an amatur and take part in/do well in many comps best of luck to you, providing you dont drop down to an easier level just to go trophy hunting, or if you suddenly stop becoming a teacher so you can enter a comp.
Ther is no complaints about the jive masters inviting mainly teachers and 'top' dancers - Gus just seems to be doing the same for the non teachers.

What I do not understand is any Advanced level catagory excluding teachers. This IMHO is a shame many teachers are not as good as the dancers in their class, they just have comunication skills or ideas to benefit other dancers.

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 10:27 AM
For God's sake pal ... its FUN ... a FUN competition ... just for FUN!! What part of this premise dont you understand? The whole idea of these events is people like me trying our best to get more people like ordinairy dancers interested in improving their dancing ... without 'other' people letting their overinflated egos get in the way of the FUN! Want to know what is even less fair ... if I think we've got some 'pros' competing, I'll knock them out on the first round ... how about that being nasty. :devil: I want people to enjoy a competition without feeling intimidated .... all those who want to take it serious have got enough choice already.

If you're going to argue about my simple posting so far I'd hate to be around you when you start trying to argue the rules in a game of monopoly :tears:
I wasn't arguing. It's your competition, you can set the rules to be how you want. I was seeking clarification about why it would, or wouldn't be "fair".... Your choice of word.

I guess I just have this bee in my bonnet about the whole excluding teachers thing. It just doesn't make sense to me. (And that isn't so I can compete at a lower level and 'boost' my trophy cabinet - I've been competing at the highest level possible less than 2 years after I started dancing, even when I've had no chance of winning.) If you'd said that you were excluding people who'd placed in national competitions (like the 'Best in the West' comptition in Bristol has) then I'd have understood far better, or even if you said that you were excluding both sets of people (winners and teachers).

IMHO, as LL said, there's a lot of 'professional' teachers who can't hold a candle to some of the 'amateur' competitors, and of course, by what you said, the couple that have won everything for the last few years would still be eligible to enter (though of course, they wouldn't).

You may feel frustrated that I asked the question. I feel frustrated by the whole non-teachers idea. I won't give you a bad rep for it though :whistle:

I'll play you at monopoly sometime. I'll even let you pick the rules. Except for the unlimited bank loans to yourself!! :wink:

Trampy

Gus
28th-June-2004, 11:38 AM
IYou may feel frustrated that I asked the question. I feel frustrated by the whole non-teachers idea. I won't give you a bad rep for it though :whistle:

WHAT BAD REP?? I dont give out bad reps ... I dont really give out many reps ... think you got the wrong person. :what:

Re question .. agree with you about the Teachers thing ... but as its just for fun ... and as I know all the good dancers in our area ... I'll just ask the really good ones not to dance with their regular partners.

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 11:42 AM
Ah. Someone gave me a bad rep (just said 'Bah humbug' with no name attached or anything). When I saw your post, I assumed that it was you. I do apologise.

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
28th-June-2004, 11:50 AM
If we teach we become profesionals therefore not eligable to enter many catagories in major comps and smaller 'non profesional' comps like Gus's.
If you are an amatur and take part in/do well in many comps best of luck to you, providing you dont drop down to an easier level just to go trophy hunting, or if you suddenly stop becoming a teacher so you can enter a comp.
Ther is no complaints about the jive masters inviting mainly teachers and 'top' dancers - Gus just seems to be doing the same for the non teachers.

What I do not understand is any Advanced level catagory excluding teachers. This IMHO is a shame many teachers are not as good as the dancers in their class, they just have comunication skills or ideas to benefit other dancers.

Quite agree Peter....have some rep.... :grin:

Sally and I, although we dance together well and (IMHO) are a fantastic teaching team, have no illusions about our potential for competing particularly when there is so much new (and younger) talent about. :worthy:. We're getting old now and having been members of the Ceroc Team UrbanMetro, winning this year at the Ceroc Champs, are just happy to enjoy entering for fun and enjoyment without the seriousness of being 'gutted' when not placed.

It brings it home to be, (quite righfully), knocked out of a round in a comp and watch three couples from your regular class go through!!! ...and bl**dy well done to them too!!! :worthy: :cheers: :cheers: :worthy:

We can choreograph to our hearts content and put amazing routines together but as you said, to carry that off in a competition is a whole different ballgame. :whistle: MJC8 this weekend showed that.....

Good dancers do not necessarily make good teachers and vice versa....

Having said all that, our arms have been twisted - the JiveMasters looms - any good dancers wanna be our stunt doubles..... :sick: :what:

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 11:53 AM
Sure. I'll dance with Sal :whistle:

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
28th-June-2004, 11:57 AM
Sure. I'll dance with Sal :whistle:

Trampy

GUTTED...... :yeah: what about me.... :tears:

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 11:59 AM
Oh. Okie. I'll dance with you instead!! :D

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
28th-June-2004, 12:01 PM
Oh. Okie. I'll dance with you instead!! :D

Trampy

:hug: :kiss: :hug: :flower: :hug: :kiss:

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm just really not sure about the kissing smilies. The hugs are fine. But the kissing ones might be taking it a little far :scared:

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
28th-June-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm just really not sure about the kissing smilies. The hugs are fine. But the kissing ones might be taking it a little far :scared:

Trampy

They are surrogate kisses from Sal as she doesn't have to dance with me now...!!!

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 12:23 PM
Ah. Most understandable then!

Trampy

under par
28th-June-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh no the GORDY and TRAMPY show.co.uk has started again. :eek:

saw so much of the .co.au version the other day!!! :devil: