PDA

View Full Version : Caladur's Dance Diary

Caladur
24th-June-2004, 12:53 AM
Wednesday 23rd June 2004

Thank goodness the spell of hot weather has broken. With my allergies playing up the past weeks of hot, bright sun have kept me inside for far too long.

On this cool, overcast, if stormy, night it seemed a perfect opportunity to go to the dance class I read about on a leaflet I was given months ago – at least reading this forum from time-to-time has kept me interested. I’m so pleased that I’ve got something relevant to post. I intend to create a written record of my progress: I hope you like it.

Going in to the hall I didn't know what to expect, but what a revelation tonight was, so many happy, smiling people having innocent fun. I recalled how we loved to dance in the old country, we had different dances in those seemingly distant days, and tonight I could see people doing steps I recognize from polka, tango and quickstep. It brought back memories of happier times and lifted my heart like nothing has done for a long, long time.

The fabulous difference between dancing back home and what I saw tonight is the music. In the old country we would never have danced with a partner to popular music – we didn’t know what we were missing! And what partners! I’ve met so many new people and hope to get to know some of them better, everyone seemed friendly but I think I was one of the oldest men there and, being foreign, it might take a while before I’m accepted. But there’s no hurry, I think for now I’ll concentrate on learning the dance. They told me I’ll be an intermediate in 6 weeks, which seems ambitious but they must know what they’re talking about.

If the weather is kind to my allergies I’ll be rushing back next week.

I’m already counting the days.

Caladur

under par
24th-June-2004, 01:21 AM
Wednesday 23rd June 2004

Thank goodness the spell of hot weather has broken. With my allergies playing up the past weeks of hot, bright sun have kept me inside for far too long.

On this cool, overcast, if stormy, night it seemed a perfect opportunity to go to the dance class I read about on a leaflet I was given months ago – at least reading this forum from time-to-time has kept me interested. I’m so pleased that I’ve got something relevant to post. I intend to create a written record of my progress: I hope you like it.

Going in to the hall I didn't know what to expect, but what a revelation tonight was, so many happy, smiling people having innocent fun. I recalled how we loved to dance in the old country, we had different dances in those seemingly distant days, and tonight I could see people doing steps I recognize from polka, tango and quickstep. It brought back memories of happier times and lifted my heart like nothing has done for a long, long time.

The fabulous difference between dancing back home and what I saw tonight is the music. In the old country we would never have danced with a partner to popular music – we didn’t know what we were missing! And what partners! I’ve met so many new people and hope to get to know some of them better, everyone seemed friendly but I think I was one of the oldest men there and, being foreign, it might take a while before I’m accepted. But there’s no hurry, I think for now I’ll concentrate on learning the dance. They told me I’ll be an intermediate in 6 weeks, which seems ambitious but they must know what they’re talking about.

If the weather is kind to my allergies I’ll be rushing back next week.

I’m already counting the days.

Caladur

Caladur welcome to the wonderful world of modern jive. :hug:

You will not find a nicer more easy going, non aggressive group of people in the UK.
Even the pacifist convention got more heated than the average MJ class. :whistle:

look forward to reading your journal, :cheers:

Happy jiving

Mary
24th-June-2004, 09:36 PM
Keep the journal going - I'm interested to hear how you get on with your journey into the world of Modern Jive, and your observations and experiences.

M

Lory
25th-June-2004, 09:21 AM
Keep the journal going - I'm interested to hear how you get on with your journey into the world of Modern Jive, and your observations and experiences.

M :yeah:

What venue did you go to? :)

Tiggerbabe
25th-June-2004, 11:22 PM
Wednesday 23rd June 2004
Thank goodness the spell of hot weather has broken.
Ah! Wasn't in Scotland then :rofl: :rofl:

TheTramp
26th-June-2004, 01:13 AM
It was nice in Scotland today!! :eek:

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
26th-June-2004, 08:13 AM
It was nice in Scotland today!! :eek:

Trampy
It'a always nice in Scotland - it's just not always hot!
:waycool: :flower:

TheTramp
26th-June-2004, 09:32 AM
It'a always nice in Scotland - it's just not always hot!
:waycool: :flower:
It was nice AND hot in Scotland yesterday.... :worthy:

Trampy

under par
28th-June-2004, 09:05 AM
It was nice AND hot in Scotland yesterday.... :worthy:

Trampy

What time was that? :rofl: :rofl:

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 09:15 AM
15:04.

For 7 minutes

:whistle:

Trampy

under par
28th-June-2004, 09:46 AM
15:04.

For 7 minutes

:whistle:

Trampy

Lobsters! :tears:
All Scots out to the Chemist then for after sun cream and calamine lotion. :rofl: :whistle:

Caladur
1st-July-2004, 01:54 AM
The weather was ideal tonight, no bright sun. I've been able to get out quite a bit over the past week as the evenings have suited me.

Every night for the last week I’d been looking forward to tonight. I got to the dance class in plenty of time and, as before, everyone seemed very friendly. The lady on the door even remembered me. I felt so welcome, which is something I wish I felt more often.

By the end of the beginners lesson I could actually do all of the moves – last week I didn’t manage this so I feel like I’ve passed a milestone. When they played the music I asked 2 of the women who seemed friendly when we did the lesson if they would dance with me. They were very kind and went through the moves with me over and over. By the time the next lesson started I’d even remembered a move from last week.

This week I did the lesson outside in the hall where two of the teachers helpers went through the moves more slowly and in a bit more detail, which was very helpful.

I recognised some people who were there last week, I didn’t say hello in case I embarrassed them because they didn’t remember me. There were also 4 fantastic dancers who could spin and spin and seemed to be in a class of their own. They seemed to be treated like Royalty by the other dancers. It was a joy to watch these fit young people dancing so effortlessly and having such harmless fun.

Next week I think I'll start speaking to people and getting to know them better. There is no hurry, I now feel that I'll soon be accepted.

Gadget
1st-July-2004, 10:18 AM
Next week I think I'll start speaking to people and getting to know them better. There is no hurry, I now feel that I'll soon be accepted.
I think that you will find yourself sorry you didn't speak to people sooner: Just about everyone is there to enjoy themselves and dance - socially it's very friendly, welcoming and open. (Well, I can only vouch for Scotland - but I assume that the MJ dance culture is similar no matter where you go; the music choice and people attending are so varied that there is very little "them and us" philosophy.)

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2004, 11:59 AM
:yeah:

I agree with Gadget, the exceptions stand out because the rest are sooo friendly. But don't spend all night chatting, we're there to dance, dance, dance....

[pedant mode]How does Gadget do it? He quoted Caladur and somehow spelt his name wrongly - the programme does it for you:confused:[/pedant mode]

TheTramp
1st-July-2004, 12:02 PM
[pedant mode]How does Gadget do it? He quoted Caladur and somehow spelt his name wrongly - the programme does it for you:confused:[/pedant mode]
Ah. But Gadget's anti-spell program does the mis-spellings for him.

Incidentally, it's a program. Not a programme! :rolleyes: :na:

Trampy

Franck
1st-July-2004, 12:13 PM
Incidentally, it's a program. Not a programme! :rolleyes: :na: only if you spell it the American way!
Proper British English spells it programme!

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2004, 12:15 PM
only if you spell it the American way!
Proper British English spells it programme!

:yeah:

Thank you Franck, you beat me too it.

Hey Trampy, what is it in proper Welsh English?

Gadget
1st-July-2004, 01:26 PM
I was sure that when referring to computer programs it's program; when referring to "the programme" as in telling you what's going to happen in theatre it was 'mme' :confused:

Anyway it's easy:

How does Gadget do it?

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2004, 01:52 PM
I was sure that when referring to computer programs it's program; when referring to "the programme" as in telling you what's going to happen in theatre it was 'mme' :confused:

I think this is an Americanism that is entering our language. It's a bit like the spelling of 'centre', I keep seeing this spelt 'center' as in "Plumb Center" which even has www.plumbcenter.co.uk as its web address! We need to resist this Americanisation (or Americanization as they would say it) of our spelling and continue to use the spellings "programme" and "centre".

Anyway it's easy:

I know it's easy, I just wondered why?:confused:

RobC
1st-July-2004, 02:46 PM

I always associated program to a computer program as opposed to a theatre programme, however it seems that in dictionary definitions, programme can also be used - although I've never seen computer programme ever written anywhere. See programme (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=programme) and program (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=program).

bigdjiver
1st-July-2004, 02:55 PM
I went through the program / programme thing many decades ago. The Americans did most to develop the art of computer programming. I decided to join those spelling it that way in that context. That view is now the norm in the industry,

Andy McGregor
1st-July-2004, 03:02 PM
I went through the program / programme thing many decades ago. The Americans did most to develop the art of computer programming. I decided to join those spelling it that way in that context. That view is now the norm in the industry,

So where does the 'm' come from in 'programming'?:confused:

Hey Franck, Do we need a new thread about Americanisation of English?

Rhythm King
1st-July-2004, 03:16 PM
So do you save your programs on disks and your programmes on discs then? :wink:

bigdjiver
1st-July-2004, 05:38 PM
So do you save your programs on disks and your programmes on discs then? :wink: :grin:

jivecat
2nd-July-2004, 09:28 PM
So where does the 'm' come from in 'programming'?:confused:

Same place as the one in hamming, jamming and spamming. And humming and bumming. I think it always happens if the root word ends in a short vowel sound followed by a consonant.

Caladur
9th-July-2004, 01:17 AM
This week I thought I'd try a different class. It was a bit of a trek but well worth it. There was over a hundred people at this class compared to the 40 or so at the one in my local village.

The dancing was much more lively and I've got an idea of the way nights could be. I did the lesson which was much the same as the two I've already had. They also did a consolidation lesson which was much busier than the Wednesday night. Again the people were so friendly, except the taxi dancers who seemed to have a different agenda to the ones on Wednesdays. These taxi dancers seemed to dance amongst themselves and the teacher didn't really do much more than the lesson, dance with his girlfriend and stand outside smoking.

Speaking personally, I found this night busier, but less friendly. The music was much more pop oriented and the dancing seemed to be more bouncy and less well led. I think I'll go back to my Wednesday class next week and visit the Thursday when I'm a bit more experienced.

However, I still think this dancing is fabulous and a great way of meeting new people.

under par
9th-July-2004, 01:26 AM
This week I thought I'd try a different class. It was a bit of a trek but well worth it. There was over a hundred people at this class compared to the 40 or so at the one in my local village.

The dancing was much more lively and I've got an idea of the way nights could be. I did the lesson which was much the same as the two I've already had. They also did a consolidation lesson which was much busier than the Wednesday night. Again the people were so friendly, except the taxi dancers who seemed to have a different agenda to the ones on Wednesdays. These taxi dancers seemed to dance amongst themselves and the teacher didn't really do much more than the lesson, dance with his girlfriend and stand outside smoking.

Speaking personally, I found this night busier, but less friendly. The music was much more pop oriented and the dancing seemed to be more bouncy and less well led. I think I'll go back to my Wednesday class next week and visit the Thursday when I'm a bit more experienced.

However, I still think this dancing is fabulous and a great way of meeting new people.

Your updates make fascinating reading Caladur, hope you keep it up. :yeah: :clap:

Also hope the proprietors of the thursday night class and others like them heed the best practice noted from your village class.

Caladur
14th-July-2004, 11:55 PM
Fabulous night! I feel like I'm making progress. I actually remembered some moves from previous classes. And someone said they noticed I wasn't there last week!

I'm starting to work out who's regular and who's good at dancing. People even asked me to join them for a drink tonight. I think maybe I'll try that next week, which I'm really looking forward to.

I also recognised a couple of people from last Thursday who must go to both classes: although I don't think they noticed me.

Tonight someone mentioned to me that there's a dance this Saturday. I don't think I'll be ready for that for some time, but it seems to me that there's a whole social scene with this dancing as well, and that could be very interesting to me as well.

Gadget
15th-July-2004, 08:46 AM
Partys are similar to classes; just a bit more dressed up and a lot more freestyle - the atmosphere is generally the same fun and freindly one. If you can make it, there is no reason not to go to one; especially if you enjoy the classes so much.

The social thing is nice: lots of people now share the same pastime and have some common to discuss. A huge diversity of backgrounds and lives all sharing the same passion. :waycool:

Caladur
29th-July-2004, 02:48 AM
I didn't go dancing last week. It was too bright and sunny for my allergies.

This week I went to my usual class and had a fabulous time. I'm getting to grips with the beginners moves and the taxi dancers told me I'm nearly ready for the intermediate lesson. I can't wait!

As usual, everyone was really friendly and some women even asked me to dance. People who do this are are so open and trusting: I'm sure I've found something quite special.

I accepted the invitation to go for a drink after the class. Everyone seemed to go and we took over half the pub. I got talking with so many different people from diverse backgrounds. I felt accepted, which is something I've not felt for a long, long time.

Next week I hope to do my last beginners consolidation class and join the intermediate lesson the following week :clap: