PDA

View Full Version : Why is that some members don't give ANY info

eileenfb
20th-June-2004, 09:09 PM
It seems rather sad to me that in the members list there are people who have not given any information about themselves, AT ALL. Not even where they dance.

I know we have to be security conscious, and there will be people in this forum who abuse the info given, but what harm can it do to give your date of birth. Or state where you do ceroc, or what your hobbies are!

If you feel brave enough please let me know why it is important to you, to not give certain simple information (assuming you are one of these people who are secretive).

You see, it makes it difficult to relate to someone through just their user name.

Would love to hear from you.

Regards Eileen
:hug:

Sheepman
21st-June-2004, 02:53 PM
but what harm can it do to give your date of birth.This is the one that I have intentionally left blank. Not that I have a problem with people knowing my age. As far as I'm concerned it is a security thing. How many organisations require date of birth as an item of "secure" information? In my case it is probably well into double figures. Maybe as an (ex) I.T. person I am over sensitive to the risk of identity theft.

Greg

Lynn
21st-June-2004, 03:18 PM
This is the one that I have intentionally left blank. Not that I have a problem with people knowing my age. As far as I'm concerned it is a security thing. How many organisations require date of birth as an item of "secure" information? In my case it is probably well into double figures. Maybe as an (ex) I.T. person I am over sensitive to the risk of identity theft.

Greg

:yeah: For the same reason, I put my birthday but not the year. Although this would probably be info easy for people to get if they were determined and also when being used for security info it is usually combined with other info too.

Forte
21st-June-2004, 03:37 PM
This is the one that I have intentionally left blank. Not that I have a problem with people knowing my age. As far as I'm concerned it is a security thing. How many organisations require date of birth as an item of "secure" information? In my case it is probably well into double figures. Maybe as an (ex) I.T. person I am over sensitive to the risk of identity theft.

Greg
Oooh good point. I am going to remove mine now. Plus I think that we do have more than a user name to relate to people...surely their comments tell us loads about them... :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-June-2004, 03:47 PM
surely their comments tell us loads about them... :grin:
what! you mean Pammy is insane ? :)

I also think Andy McGregor shows all the traits of a conservative MP but thats just a guess!

Martin
21st-June-2004, 04:11 PM
I would love more info - at least a current piccy!
Where you dance/live has to be a good one to include.

goes to check profile to see if I have been too stingy with info... :blush:

Tiggerbabe
21st-June-2004, 07:15 PM
Maybe as an (ex) I.T. person I am over sensitive to the risk of identity theft.
Greg
Funny you should mention that Greg - I saw you in Aviemore on Saturday night and you pretended to be someone else :flower: :flower:

Forte
22nd-June-2004, 09:44 AM
Where you dance/live has to be a good one to include.

goes to check profile to see if I have been too stingy with info... :blush:

I have a piccie on the who's who thread Oh-Nosey-One :wink:

Franck
22nd-June-2004, 09:50 AM
I have a piccie on the who's who thread Oh-Nosey-One :wink:Yep that's a good start :nice:
There is now the possibility to have a picture of yourself in your profile (larger than the avatar), it's only visible when people click on your profile and it's a great way to personalize the forum!

Regarding the date of birth thing, it's really nice to be able to wish happy birthday to all the people on the forum, so it would be a shame if it wasn't included. You don't have to however include your year of birth, or like some, you can invent one :D

The more we know about each other, the more we trust, the better the community! :hug:

Emma
22nd-June-2004, 09:51 AM
You can now upload a current pic to your profile :nice:

(see Our Beloved Leader (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=1)'s profile for an example :grin: )

Emma
22nd-June-2004, 09:52 AM
yikes! omnipresent! :rofl:

Forte
22nd-June-2004, 09:55 AM
Regarding the date of birth thing, it's really nice to be able to wish happy birthday to all the people on the forum, so it would be a shame if it wasn't included. You don't have to however include your year of birth, or like some, you can invent one :D

:

Ooooh! Can I have 1977? :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-June-2004, 10:29 AM
Ooooh! Can I have 1977? :wink:A good year, silver jubilee and elvis retired to live the life of a recluse ;)

Lou
22nd-June-2004, 10:35 AM
You don't have to however include your year of birth, or like some, you can invent one :D
oi! have some respect! That's my real age you know! :wink: This immortality lark can get you down sometimes....

Lynn
22nd-June-2004, 10:43 AM
Regarding the date of birth thing, it's really nice to be able to wish happy birthday to all the people on the forum, so it would be a shame if it wasn't included. You don't have to however include your year of birth, or like some, you can invent one :D I didn't include the year. It was lovely to get birthday wishes on my birthday and I think on this forum age doesn't matter anyway.

Sheepman
22nd-June-2004, 11:37 AM
Funny you should mention that Greg - I saw you in Aviemore on Saturday night and you pretended to be someone else
:really: So the secret's out! And there is evidence of someone in Watford on the same night who was pretending to be me pretending to be someone else!

Greg

Pammy
22nd-June-2004, 12:09 PM
:really: So the secret's out! And there is evidence of someone in Watford on the same night who was pretending to be me pretending to be someone else!

Greg

No, that was Steve Martin pretending to be someone else :innocent:

Forte
22nd-June-2004, 12:09 PM
A good year, silver jubilee and elvis retired to live the life of a recluse ;)
There's a guy works down my chip shop swears he's Elvis...

xSalsa_Angelx
22nd-June-2004, 12:20 PM
A good year, silver jubilee and elvis retired to live the life of a recluse ;)

Was that not the year Elvis died?? I heard he died while sitting on the bog, is this true? :rofl:

Also the year I was born too ........

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-June-2004, 01:08 PM
Was that not the year Elvis died??
no, he just retired :)

Barry Shnikov
22nd-June-2004, 01:57 PM
what! you mean Pammy is insane ? :)

I also think Andy McGregor shows all the traits of a conservative MP but thats just a guess!

Look, he just likes dancing with guys, that's all... :innocent:

Martin
22nd-June-2004, 02:10 PM
I have a piccie on the who's who thread Oh-Nosey-One :wink:

Tried the search - did not work - Looking for blue outfit... :(

Not too computer literate... :sick:

Franck
22nd-June-2004, 02:14 PM
Tried the search - did not work - Looking for blue outfit... :( Try this link: Picture of Forte (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=35681#post35681)

The image was posted by StuartM.

Pammy
23rd-June-2004, 09:11 AM
I heard he died while sitting on the bog, is this true? :rofl:

So the documentary I once saw said.

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-June-2004, 09:33 AM
look - hes not dead !! wheres your proof ? He retired to a bedsit in New York before travelling round chip shops...

TheTramp
23rd-June-2004, 09:40 AM
And supermarkets...

Trampy

spindr
25th-June-2004, 12:39 PM
There are some thoughts at another place (http://www.salsamafia.com:8080/yabbee/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=988) that might make a couple of useful FAQ entries.

SpinDr.

Jayne
25th-June-2004, 12:54 PM
There are some thoughts at another place (http://www.salsamafia.com:8080/yabbee/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=988) that might make a couple of useful FAQ entries.
Quote from that forum (on listing "rules" for new users):

"4. Spam... dare I mention it?... a lot of other forums have problems with this but not so much here... it has many definitions including off topic random boll**ks"

Bah! What kind of forum doesn't allow people off topic!

Plain or milk chocolate?

J :wink:

Lynn
25th-June-2004, 01:01 PM

Plain or milk chocolate?

J :wink: Mmmm, chocolate :drool: Milk I think. Oh, are we off topic? Oops! :blush:

spindr
25th-June-2004, 01:02 PM

Well they have the "bastion of bitching" for that -- if you think it gets personal/heated here...

Plain or milk chocolate?

Yes!

Dreadful Scathe
25th-June-2004, 01:05 PM
Plain chocolate wins every time....

Gadget
25th-June-2004, 01:28 PM
Yup, I'm a plain for preference, like milk, object to white. (although will never refuse :wink: )

Lory
25th-June-2004, 01:35 PM
Plain chocolate wins every time....
Bitter, dark and not too sweet, thats the way I like it! :drool:

TheTramp
25th-June-2004, 01:37 PM
Yup, I'm a plain for preference, like milk, object to white. (although will never refuse :wink: )
OMG. I have the same tastes as Gadget!! :wink:

Trampy

Sparkles
25th-June-2004, 02:52 PM
OMG. I have the same tastes as Gadget!! :wink:

Trampy

Prefer milk, like plain, object to white (but will eat in small quantities).
I'm going to have to go down the shops and get some now - thank you guys :sulk: - so much for my diet!