PDA

View Full Version : So where were the spiders?

DavidY
18th-June-2004, 06:45 PM
They haven't so far because pages were created dynamically and Search engines don't like that.
This is why there is this new feature - archive - Which creates static html pages for search engines to index. it will take a while I expect and results might be well buried down the pages of Google, but we should be out there.Franck, I'm still looking for forum pages on Google - some (recent) thread pages do show up in searches, but I've not seen any archive pages appearing.

Have the spiders got confused? Maybe they read the threads, tried to dance Ceroc, and got too confused by descriptions of moves relating to left and right feet (having 4 of each to choose from).

Franck
18th-June-2004, 06:52 PM
Franck, I'm still looking for forum pages on Google - some (recent) thread pages do show up in searches, but I've not seen any archive pages appearing.Spiders are crawling across the Forum at the moment, but I believe the archive is quite low down the links, so it might take some time :nice:

It's already very revealing to do a search for any of the topics / words (even better if you add Scotland to the search string...

For example 'Sheepman Scotland' returns the Forum as top link :wink: Maybe that's a dangerous thing with sheep hunters around :D

Search engines and placement is not a science, more of a voodoo ritual... and I certainly don't claim to grasp all of it!
I do know that spiders are actually getting better at dynamic pages, as more of the net is now served dynamically...

I expect this time next year you'll be able to do a search on Google instead of using the Forum search facility!

Tiggerbabe
18th-June-2004, 07:06 PM
They've got such cool names too - the inktomi slurp spider :eek: :waycool:

Boomer
22nd-June-2004, 08:36 PM
Boomer Scotland tops Google...mind you, 'Rampant Scotland' comes in 3rd...didn't check that site.

Tiggerbabe
22nd-June-2004, 08:45 PM
mind you, 'Rampant Scotland' comes in 3rd...didn't check that site.
No, of course you didn't :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Sheepman
23rd-June-2004, 02:39 PM
For example 'Sheepman Scotland' returns the Forum as top link :wink: Maybe that's a dangerous thing with sheep hunters around :D :eek: I'm not sure that's the sort of "fame" I should be courting, (especially after that channel 4 programme on zooaphilia). It's just a good job that no one outside of the forum knows me by that name :whistle:

I think I'll go and try a Google on smoking and Scotland . . .
no, it must still be too archival, we're not even on the first 4 pages.

Greg

Franck
23rd-June-2004, 02:50 PM
I think I'll go and try a Google on smoking and Scotland . . .
no, it must still be too archival, we're not even on the first 4 pages.Just tried it, and by adding the word dance, we are in the top 3 links, with the thread "Smoking and dancing don't mix" :D

Lory
23rd-June-2004, 02:50 PM
Sleeze + scotland, comes in second! :rofl:

CJ
23rd-June-2004, 03:09 PM
Sleeze + scotland, comes in second! :rofl:

C'mon campers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must try harder.

:wink:

Lou
23rd-June-2004, 04:08 PM
9th for Scotland & Chocolate...