PDA

View Full Version : Personal and Trivial Chat

SayAgain
18th-June-2004, 04:43 PM
I enjoy accessing the Forum and following the threads with their mixture of humour and useful info. BUT there seems to be a disease that is growing , daily !

Some people seem to think that they can post their own version of the prevalent TRIVIA that is constantly fed to us by the media at large when they get into short, personal ,trivial comments between one another that are frankly BANAL to the rest of us, and have NOTHING to do with the thread. This is just a useless distraction.

Is the generic title for all parts of the Forum the TITLE of this thread ?

Why do I have to get a bad name to suggest this?

I apologise if this upsets you :blush: but is their a gentle way of pulling the Forum back on track?

Emma
18th-June-2004, 05:00 PM
Generally speaking Franck or one of the moderators will try and keep on top of the 'chat' that occasionally disrails threads, and either split them off into threads of their own or into the 'Live Chat' thread of the Chit Chat area :nice:

It's not always possible to keep up with the runaway threads :wink:, so please feel free to mail or pm (or even report) a seriously off-topic thread and we'll try and do something about it asap! :flower:

Gadget
18th-June-2004, 05:06 PM
It has been mentioned several times, and in several threads. I agree that it is distracting and fairly pointless - most "chit-chat" is confined to the social and chit-chat areas of the forum, it's just that some folk {:whistle:} just act/talk/type on the spur of the moment because something just occured to them.

The moderators do try to break threads and keep them relevant, but we arn't the best at keeping on-topic. :blush:

The new version of the forum software I think makes it easier to create new threads when something pops up - I just think that people don't want to be seen as creating a mirriad of useless threads, so would rather clog up the current one.

Perhaps 'chit-chat' in relativly serious or factual threads should be given negative rep?

Emma
18th-June-2004, 05:09 PM
Perhaps 'chit-chat' in relativly serious or factual threads should be given negative rep?Ugh, don't think so myself, people are bound to go off topic now and again, and what are you gonna do, bad rep every off-topic post? My personal opinion is that bad rep should only be used for things one considers very irritating/upsetting.

I think most people are aware when they get a bit off topic and try to curb it. I might move this thread to a slightly more visible area in order to give everyone a gentle reminder though :wink: :grin:

Andy McGregor
18th-June-2004, 05:13 PM
Perhaps 'chit-chat' in relatively serious or factual threads should be given negative rep?

I think it's a bit like conversations. Sometimes the mood might need lightening with a humourous aside - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So should you give negative rep for trying to lighten the proceedings? It probably depends on the circumstances:wink:

Emma
18th-June-2004, 05:22 PM
Sometimes the mood might need lightening with a humourous aside I do think there's a difference between a humerous aside (and goodness knows nothing wrong with those), and two-three pages of completely irrelevant (albeit humerous) tosh...which does happen, on occasion :nice:

Which of course is why we have moderators :), and why threads get spliteratorized :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
18th-June-2004, 05:47 PM
I enjoy accessing the Forum and following the threads with their mixture of humour and useful info. BUT there seems to be a disease that is growing , daily !

I wouldnt say it was any worse than it used to be, in fact considering we now nearly have 1000 users I would say its a VERY well behaved forum indeed.