PDA

View Full Version : MJ a heartbreaker? - publicity at any price?

bigdjiver
16th-June-2004, 07:31 PM
I received two emails from Ceroc Metro today.

The Daily Mirror will be photographing at Stevenage tonight. We would like as many people to be there as possible.

Urgent - have you found love at Ceroc? The Daily Mirror are looking for three couples who left their previous long-term partner because of finding love at Ceroc. If this is you and you are free for an interview and photo shoot this week, please email me NOW Would I allow this in Adam's place? I think I would, but I would also be pushing for everybody I could contact, and their friends, to bombard the Mirror with emails relating their positive experiences of MJ. I would also suggest that they write any sorts of credentials that they have, dance or profession related. eg if you are an intermediate champion and a psychologist, then say so.

Minnie M
16th-June-2004, 08:12 PM
I got Adam's email today - however yesterday I got this one from an organiser (not Ceroc) in Brighton :-

The Mirror newspaper are looking for people who have found love on the dancefloor for an upcoming feature in the paper. I'd be really grateful if you could forward the following request to all your jivers.

Did you find love on the dance floor?

Did you leave your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend and run off with your dancing partner?

A national newspaper would be interested in hearing your story and will pay for any stories published.

You must be happy to be photographed for the article.

Please contact Jane Simon on 0207 293 3769 or 07802 235599, or e-mail her at jane.simon@mirror.co.uk

Gus
16th-June-2004, 08:33 PM
Did you leave your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend and run off with your dancing partner?

The really sad thing is that most people could probably cite stories of this nature. Things must be pretty bad when a relationship is destroyed just because someone can string a few moves together :( .

Andy McGregor
16th-June-2004, 08:49 PM
I am saddened that my favourite hobby should be associated with this. People leave their boyfriends, girlfriends, wives and husbands because they've met someone else. Of course, it happens all of the time. I've even heard of it happening in the Salvation Army! But, does it happen more at Modern Jive than anywhere else?

I guess, this will be a negative association with Modern Jive. Newspapers are rarely about good news:tears:

Speaking personally, if I'd intended to go to Stevenage I wouldn't have gone if I'd known in advance that photos were being taken for this article. I'd hate to think that my wife, Sue might find herself in a situation where she had to explain to her friends or relatives why her husbands picture was in a national newpaper article about infidelity!

Dance Demon
16th-June-2004, 10:17 PM
JIVING ROMEO SWEPT ME OFF MY FEET
LOVE ON THE DANCEFLOOR SENSATION!!!!

Read all about it in the "DAILY SCAM"......

basically, a reporters job is to sell newspapers. The Juicier the story the better. Most MJ nights are already tarred with the brush of being " glorified singles nights ". now they will be tagged with the title of being wife swap clubs, swingers clubs, and tales of losing partners to love rats will abound................OK maybe I'm being a sceptic, but I can't see a lot of positive press coming from this......although I hope I am wrong. Before I started dancing, Mrs DD had been dancing for around 6 months. A mate of mine ran the pub opposite the Ceroc Venue, where a lot of dancers used to go after dancing. He basically put me off going along, despite all Irenes efforts to get me there, by telling me about the "creepy guys" that went there, and if he were me, he wouldn't let his wife go there on her own :really:
I now know different, but that mentality and viewpoint does still exist, and I don't look forward to people at work etc saying to me " Oh you go to that dancing that splits up couples..... :mad: because they read the article in the paper.........

Emma
16th-June-2004, 10:34 PM
Whilst I am of the opinion that papers exist mainly to sell more papers and are fit only for lining the cat litter tray it also has to be born in mind that 'all publicity is good publicity', and therefore the story (if it ever happens) will probably bring as many people into MJ as it puts off. Some of them may even be people who are unhappy in their relationship and through dancing meet the love of their life. That sounds like a happy ending to me :nice:

Lounge Lizard
16th-June-2004, 10:39 PM
Come on guys take away the dancers at a modern jive venue that are not happy with their partner and could be interested in another male/female and we would have loads of dance space on the dance floor.

I got into jive cos I wanted to dance, but life at home was not good (slight understatement) and it was amazing to discover that at the age of forty ANY lady could be interested in me for whatever reason, apart from watching the kids growing up, this was one of the biggest joys I had experienced in years. [no not the sex thing just genine male/female attraction]

Yes, my marrige ended as a result of MJ, No I do not have a single regret, I have made so many friends on the MJ circuit (my ex wife is still my a good friend) some of those freindships became relationships.

I do know a number of people who eventually left their partner as a result of MJ
We do not get to see the other partner who loses their spouse to dance and I am sure their is a lot of heartache involved, but for a lot of people it has opened up a new and very happy life.

No I wont contact the paper (any one that knows me will understand) but the stories, experiences and encounters from the MJ scene would make the Sunday papers no probs.
LL

Andy McGregor
16th-June-2004, 11:21 PM
Come on guys take away the dancers at a modern jive venue that are not happy with their partner and could be interested in another male/female and we would have loads of dance space on the dance floor.

I think that could be said about many places, pubs, clubs, the British Legion!, night-classes, etc, etc. And if you're unhappy with your partner you do go out on your own and you might meet someone new. But it was your relationship that had something wrong with it, not the place you met your new partner.

, but life at home was not good (slight understatement)

-snip-

Yes, my marriage ended as a result of MJ. No I do not have a single regret: I have made so many friends on the MJ circuit (my ex wife is still my a good friend): some of those freindships became relationships.

Has any marriage ended "as a result of MJ"? I have difficulty believing this. Was LL's marriage a completely happy one before he started dancing? If it was how on earth did MJ cause his marriage to end? There is a hint above that LL's marriage was not happy, and if that's the case MJ did not cause his marriage to end. What it probably did was helped him to end something that was making him unhappy by meeting someone that made him happy:wink:

and it was amazing to discover that at the age of forty ANY lady could be interested in me for whatever reason

There's always something that LL and I agree on:devil:

Divissima
16th-June-2004, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a cheap attempt to spin a story out of the alleged 'closeness' between two of the Strictly Come Dancing competitors and a broken engagement. I can just see it - all that sexy dancing and body contact brought passions to boiling point. I think it rather misses the point, as Andy has said. People who are unhappy in relationships stray or end things because they are unhappy, not because something external forces them to. Or maybe dancing really is a sweaty and sexually charged environment which drives us out of our rational minds. I must be going to the wrong venues :really:

Andy McGregor
17th-June-2004, 08:39 AM
Or maybe dancing really is a sweaty and sexually charged environment which drives us out of our rational minds. I must be going to the wrong venues :really:

Divissima, are you saying you don't want to run off with me? Maybe I'm just not sweaty enough:sick:

Divissima
17th-June-2004, 08:58 AM
Divissima, are you saying you don't want to run off with me? Maybe I'm just not sweaty enough:sick: :rofl: :flower:

Gordon J Pownall
17th-June-2004, 10:04 AM
Well, MJ probably has a distinct advantage over other activities in that you get close to other people.

Arguably, though, should the fact that it is MJ mean it gets this attention from the - dancing is currently en vogue with the TV show SCD.

If there was a car mechanics programme, would there be as much interest -

"Have you left your partner for the man who could make everything work and run more smoothly???"

I think not - people separate, have affairs, jump each others bones in all walks, strolls or dances of life etc etc, Is the incidence higher in MJ / dance than other places ??

Just watch SKY TV for the latest series of programmes interviewing City Brokers, Airline Pilots etc etc - Sex Uncovered. According to this programme everyone is at it everwhere so MJ is no exception.

Time for a POLL I think....

Sheepman
17th-June-2004, 01:13 PM
Or maybe dancing really is a sweaty and sexually charged environment which drives us out of our rational minds. I must be going to the wrong venues :really: Or maybe dancing with the wrong men :tears: :tears:

This is amazing, I'm agreeing with Andy & Lounge Lizard!
and it was amazing to discover that at the age of forty ANY lady could be interested in me for whatever reason Could it be an age thing?

I also agree with Gordon, is it really any different to other walks of life? Just because in dance we get close to other men/women does it really drive us to lust and infidelity? I would think "losing control" is much more likely as result a result of getting plastered, than what we get up to.

Greg

Emma
17th-June-2004, 02:41 PM
I also agree with Gordon, is it really any different to other walks of life? Just because in dance we get close to other men/women does it really drive us to lust and infidelity? I would think "losing control" is much more likely as result a result of getting plastered, than what we get up to.I've had many a lengthy conversation with the girls about this, usually in the early hours of the morning after a bottle or two of wine..and we generally come to the conclusion that affairs of the heart occur in all social circles, but that it may be that the relative privacy (or maybe that should be intimacy) of a dance makes it easier for them to start.

Jive Brummie
17th-June-2004, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a cheap attempt to spin a story out of the alleged 'closeness' between two of the Strictly Come Dancing competitors and a broken engagement.

:yeah:

ChrisA
18th-June-2004, 09:03 AM
People who are unhappy in relationships stray or end things because they are unhappy, not because something external forces them to.
True, but the "something external" can trigger actually doing something about the state of being unhappy.

And a good thing too. Life is too damn short to waste in bad situations through inertia or fear of change.

Chris

Divissima
18th-June-2004, 09:41 AM
"something external" can trigger actually doing something about the state of being unhappyI agree - this was the point I was trying to make, but didn't quite make. The unhappiness is the root cause and something external can 'trigger' or just offer an opportunity.

I agree with Emma:

that affairs of the heart occur in all social circlesIn any social circle, be it in the office, in a sport club or dance scene, a group of friends, it doesn't take long for the status quo to be disrupted by at least one of those four old favourites passion(sex), love, jealousy(rivalry) and betrayal. Or maybe it's six.

I'm not sure whether dancing offers more of an opportunity than a regular Friday night out at the pub/club, but I think in the minds of those who don't dance, standing that close to someone of the opposite sex seems rather racy. When I first started dancing my boyfriend at the time didn't want me dancing with unknown men - he almost regarded it as an infidelity in itself (needless to say he was not a dancer).

Andy McGregor
18th-June-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree - this was the point I was trying to make, but didn't quite make. The unhappiness is the root cause and something external can 'trigger' or just offer an opportunity.

As they say in old detective movies. You need means, motive and opportunity.

The world of dance can offer the means and opportunity. But does it provide the motive?

Speaking personally, I don't think so.

Can temptation be a motive? But temptation is everywhere, not just at dances:confused:

Chicklet
18th-June-2004, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a cheap attempt to spin a story out of the alleged 'closeness' between two of the Strictly Come Dancing competitors and a broken engagement.

Pretty please I know we shouldn't encourage it but, just cos it's Friday, could someone post names for the most unobservant !?!? :blush:

bigdjiver
19th-June-2004, 12:04 AM
It saddens me that the Mirror has sunk to these depths to trawl up such a negative and salacious story. This was THE newspaper of my childhood. I moved on from loving the cartoon pages and the sport to appreciating the writing genius of their columnist William Connor, writing under the name of Cassandra. http://www.lorry.org/cassandra/

The last but one copy of the Mirror I bought had the massive headline "The Duke and Christine Keeler, the truth" The truth, in small print, was that there was absolutely no connection between them.:mad:

It was ten years before I forgave them and bought another. This time the large side panel said "All of the Christmas TV and Radio programmes".This time the small print at the bottom said "Tomorrow". :mad: It is now over a decade since I bought a copy of my favourite paper as a youth.
I have just discovered that there is a complete scanned in book on this site. This weekend I shall feast on jpegs. :clap: