PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Technique

Jayne
16th-June-2004, 10:00 AM
Has anyone on the forum had any experience of the Alexander Technique? Do you know anyone who has?

It's the AT awareness week this week and there was an article in yesterday's paper which got me thinking about it. Trouble is, it's £25 per session and apparently most people need between 20 and 30 sessions - that's not an insignificant financial input! I have a fair amount of trouble with back ache & joint pain and from the article it sounded as if AT would be beneficial.

If anyone has any experiences to share, please do - either on this thread or by PM.

Many thanks!

J :nice:

DavidB
16th-June-2004, 10:33 AM
I know people who swear by it, but I've never tried it.

I have done Pilates, and this has really helped my back problems. I think this can be cheaper if you join a class. Warning - it is hard work!

David

Dreadful Scathe
16th-June-2004, 11:26 AM
http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/jeff/alextech.html

Rachel
16th-June-2004, 12:02 PM

I have done Pilates, and this has really helped my back problems. I think this can be cheaper if you join a class. Warning - it is hard work!

David Ditto - just what David said. If I ever get backache I try and do some pilates-type exercises and it really seems to work. I've never been to a formal class though - I just have a video and do it at home.

With pilates, I found you start off thinking, Well, there's not much to this, is there ...? And then you realise how you're supposed to do it properly!
Rachel

Northants Girly
16th-June-2004, 01:20 PM
Years ago I had some lessons. They were in the form of evening classes held at a local school. As it was a group class as opposed to individual one to one lessons it was much cheaper although I guess you'd get more out of individual lessons. It was a good introduction to it though so if I were you I'd look into this option.

Bill
16th-June-2004, 04:55 PM
Never been to a class or had 'proper' sessions but therapist did get me to do a few of the stretches because of my back problems. Did help but as you say, it's a lot of money. Must be a book on it and photos to show you what to do.

Some of the movements were the same as the most recent therapist showed me as well - just basic twists and strecthes to work the lower back muscles. Not very helpful I'm afraid but at least it does seem to work.

plankton
16th-June-2004, 08:08 PM
I found this book of exercises really helped .... and they don't take long to do:D

http://www.thebackcoach.co.uk/html/5_days_to_a_healthy_back.php3

foxylady
17th-June-2004, 12:30 AM

David
:yeah:

Ditto basically. I swear by Pilates, do an awful lot of it and it really helps the problems with my knees. Know several people with severe back problems who are significantly better when doing pilates, but as with AT its a 'for life' approach.

Jayne
17th-June-2004, 09:13 AM
Well after all the pilates recommendations I looked into it and there is a class at a reasonably convenient time at a gym en route home from work - so I'll give it a go (especially after having to sit out for most of Amir's fantastic class last night because my back was hurting :tears: ).

However, I think I'll wait until after JM - don't want to discover new muscle groups a few days before our heat and then not be able to move!! At least if my back hurts I can take pain killers!! :grin:

Thanks for the advice!

J :flower:

Minnie M
17th-June-2004, 09:19 AM
........til after JM ....

Good luck Jayne - sorry I can't be there to support you - I am working (helping out) at MJC -if you dance as you did at the comps you wont need the luck :hug:

(apologies for going off thread)

Jayne
25th-August-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi All,

I just thought I would make a quick post to let you know how I've been getting on....

I'm a complete Pilates convert! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Words like "liberating" and "miracle cure" aren't an exaggeration!

After having backache for more than a decade I went along to Pilates for the first time nearly two months ago. Since then I've been virtually pain free! However, I had to miss a couple of consecutive weeks' lessons recently and the backache returned - particularly yesterday. :sad: So I went to Pilates last night and by the time I left there was not a trace of discomfort left! Hurrah! :grin:

So thank you very much to all those who posted & spoke to me about Pilates & AT. :flower: :hug: :flower:

And if there's anyone reading this who also has problems with their back - I really encourage you to find a Pilates class. As David said, it's hard work - particularly when you realise how it *should* be done (as Rachel said)!

J :flower:

DianaS
25th-August-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi Jayne
really pleased to hear how things are going! Well done gal!
Hmmm back pain is really awful, I have had problems on and off since being a teenager, but find using a balance chair at work and home really helpful. I have also seen a chiropractor after a couple of sport inflicted back injuries and I found the practitioner very competent, informative and effective.
Most important seemed to be sorting out the way that I sit so the spine isn't twisted (no crossing your legs!) and using a lumber support in the car, and a back roll at night if the pain is significant.
Alexander technigue teaches you a lot about sitting and posture and was taught to me by my chirpractioner as part of my therapy. I haven't suffered for years now, once I started doing what I was told :grin:

jivegirl100
25th-August-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Jayne

I know someone who swears by the Alexander Technique - I also play the cello and get a lot of shoulder pain and he's still trying to convince me AT is the way forward as it worked for him.

But, as you already know, it is very costly and I get the impression you have to be really committed otherwise it's not worth taking it on.

He did lend me a book (which seemed basic commonsense to me!).

Good luck

Claire xx

Jayne
25th-August-2004, 11:19 AM
But, as you already know, it is very costly and I get the impression you have to be really committed otherwise it's not worth taking it on.
That's why I went for the Pilates option. My local gym restricts the class size to eight, which means that the tecaher can come round and correct everybody in every movement. And for six pounds a week, what have you got to lose?

J :nice:

Trish
25th-August-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi Jayne

I seem to be the only person here who has actually tried private Alexander lessons, but not really Pilates, there aren't many classes round here (although I have done a lot of yoga, which can have a similar effect, even though the exercises are quite different in some ways). I knew AT was going to be expensive, but then I'd been left a bit of money when my Nan died, so it seemed a good thing to spend it on. I found it really helpful, not only for helping my shoulder/knee problems, but generally for helping my posture and therefore my balance (good for spinning!). It also probably helped that my Alexander teacher is an ex-ballerina, so she understands some of the strains that dancing can put on your body - I've got her coming to Ceroc now!

I'm not sure about Pilates, but I found with Alexander its something you can do anywhere, anytime. I use thoughts from the technique (it's mainly thought based rather than exercise based), to destress my knotted muscles when I'm sitting at my desk at work, or when I'm sitting in the car frustrated by a traffic jam. I guess the main benefit is that with AT you can do it even if your whole body has siezed up with pain, and you don't always feel like doing exercises then. I'd recommend it, but then I was lucky and had a bit of spare cash to do it. I think I had about 15-20 lessons, but I'll always have that with me now, and will only want to go occasionally to top it up and be reminded of things I've forgotten.

Trish