PDA

View Full Version : One song or two?

Gary
16th-June-2004, 01:25 AM
Janet (Bradburn) when she got back from the UK was telling me that in a lot of places over there the "polite" standard number of songs to dance with a partner before "thank you" and looking for the next partner is one, whereas over here it's more expected that you'll dance two songs with each partner. How many would people prefer? Is one song too short to get in synch with a new partner? Does two songs per partner prevent you from dancing with everyone you want to dance with?

Or is it that normally people dance two songs with each partner in the UK but the guys were looking for an excuse to stop dancing with Janet? :devil: (I'd find that one hard to believe, actually).

under par
16th-June-2004, 07:30 AM
It would be difficult to dance with all the partners at a venue if you doubled up to 2 dances per person.
It would also detract from the compliment " That was lovely would you like another dance?" I know you could always ask that "good" partner for a third if 2 was the "norm" but I am sure that would seem excessive!

Gary
16th-June-2004, 07:35 AM
It would be difficult to dance with all the partners at a venue if you doubled up to 2 dances per person.
Tell me about it :tears:

Lory
16th-June-2004, 09:14 AM
It would also detract from the compliment
:yeah: And further more, I was wondering if someone refused or didn't ask for a second dance over there, would it be the 'same' in reverse, like an insult :confused:

I think we're on a win win situation over here, it's normal to only have 1 but a compliment to be asked for a second :nice: and your not going to insult anyone by not asking for a second either! :clap:

Rachel
16th-June-2004, 09:21 AM
It used to be that, in the midlands, it was highly offensive not to have two dances with someone. If they walked away after just one dance, it meant they had hated it! (And if you had three dances - rumours were rife!!) Things may be changing now, though.

Since I started dancing in London, I realised that one dance was the norm, and now I do the same in the midlands for the reasons stated above: i.e. that you just can't get round all the people with two dances.
Rachel

TheTramp
16th-June-2004, 09:23 AM
When I first started dancing in London (5 years ago), 2 dances were the norm....

At some point over the next two years, it seemed to shift more towards just having the one dance.... maybe all those women desperate to get away from me???

Trampy

Forte
16th-June-2004, 09:27 AM
I always feel flattered and surprised (low self esteem under the front!!! :blush: ) when someone asks me to dance two in a row or even two in an evening...of course there are some people I will ask because I feel so comfortable with them and then who's counting! :cheers: This last one is my favourite state of affairs. :grin:

Divissima
16th-June-2004, 09:50 AM
I always feel flattered ... when someone asks me to dance two in a row or even two in an evening...That's how I feel too. However there is one dancer at one of my regular venues who has taken to calling me 'Two Times' because he thinks I dance two with everyone and it is therefore not a compliment to him (despite my protestations). I've taken to dancing only one with him now, but it seems a shame to me.

Zebra Woman
16th-June-2004, 10:11 AM
Since I started dancing in London, I realised that one dance was the norm, and now I do the same in the midlands for the reasons stated above: i.e. that you just can't get round all the people with two dances.
Rachel
:yeah: But I will ask for a second if the music appeals, or I know the man will be difficult to get to again, or he always dances two with everyone. :grin:

I like to hear a gap between tracks so I'm not forced into the second dance without question.

I very much don't like Jive-bunny-mega-mixes, I had a whole evening of 7 dances with one man then 5 with another - nightmare :eek: (it was a party tho).

Rachel
16th-June-2004, 10:19 AM
I like to hear a gap between tracks so I'm not forced into the second dance without question. Absolutely!
R.

foxylady
16th-June-2004, 10:24 AM
I like to hear a gap between tracks so I'm not forced into the second dance without question.

:yeah:

Its such a compliment though to get asked for a second dance...

Its horrible when you've been asked for a second, and someone rushes up and demands you relinquish as they have been waiting (as if you had forced the second dance on the poor hapless man !!!). Has this happened to others or only to me..

Sparkles
16th-June-2004, 10:49 AM

Its such a compliment though to get asked for a second dance...

Its horrible when you've been asked for a second, and someone rushes up and demands you relinquish as they have been waiting (as if you had forced the second dance on the poor hapless man !!!). Has this happened to others or only to me..

No, only you have the men fighting to dance with you like that - the rest of us are not so fortunate :wink: What's your secret??

I always think it's an amazing compliment if someone asks you for a second (or third) dance, and my policy is always to dance with the person that asks first, whether it's the person I danced the previous dance with or not. I'd be offended if someone turned me down, so I try not to do it to other people.

Zebra Woman
16th-June-2004, 11:34 AM
I've had this happen once, and the waiting man already had two women, he wanted me as the third!! I said,'No thanks', and carried on dancing with the original man, who felt quite embarrassed.

Many many times women have rushed up.... :angry:
I know I do too, but I try and wait for separation first! :wink: :wink:

ChrisA
16th-June-2004, 12:05 PM

I very much don't like Jive-bunny-mega-mixes, I had a whole evening of 7 dances with one man then 5 with another - nightmare :eek: (it was a party tho).
Hi Alison!! :yeah:

I feel very strongly that nothing should force you into a second dance with someone - certainly not a second track that's mixed into the previous one.

Regardless of the music, a second dance IMHO should be agreed to by both partners, and not assumed (unless you know the person really well and it's therefore obvious) - even if the music continues without a break into the next.

Such an assumption is disrespectful IMHO.

When the music is continuous, I will always ask a lady if she'd like to carry on if I want to ... and equally I have no qualms about saying "thank you" and disengaging from the dance if I don't. It's perfectly possible to do nicely. :nice:

Chris

Martin
16th-June-2004, 12:08 PM
I think we're on a win win situation over here, it's normal to only have 1 but a compliment to be asked for a second :nice: and your not going to insult anyone by not asking for a second either! :clap:

I am with Lory on this one.
It is so cool when you dance with a wonderful dancer and she asks you for another :clap:
I was pleasently supprised when this happened to me on some occasions in the UK. :flower:

ChrisA
16th-June-2004, 12:11 PM
Its horrible when you've been asked for a second, and someone rushes up and demands you relinquish as they have been waiting
Demands????? :eek: :eek:

No one has the right to demand. :mad:

By all means rush up and ask (I will) ... but be prepared to be turned down (I have both turned down and been turned down in this situation).

You shouldn't feel in any kind of dilemma on this one, IMHO. If you've accepted the offer of a dance from someone, even if you were already dancing the previous one with the same person, there is no obligation to withdraw that acceptance and give it to someone else IMHO.

If the guy that rushes up doesn't like that... tough !!

Chris

bigdjiver
16th-June-2004, 12:34 PM
Its horrible when you've been asked for a second, and someone rushes up and demands you relinquish as they have been waiting (as if you had forced the second dance on the poor hapless man !!!). Has this happened to others or only to me..It is even more horrible when you have been grabbed by someone for a dance, then another appears, assumes that you are finishing instead of starting, and demands "their turn". I regret to say I just stood back, amazed that this was happening to me, whilst they sorted it out between them. The first asker withdrew rather than risk a scene, for which I am eternally grateful. Trying to resolve these sorts of situation in the middle of a noisy, crowded dancefloor can get very fraught. I suppose I really should learn doubles ...

DavidY
16th-June-2004, 12:38 PM
I usually dance one song with most people. Apart from anything else, I sometimes feel I don't know enough moves and there's a risk of boring my partner by dancing many of the same moves again in a second consecutive song. :blush:

I might go and find people for a second dance later in the evening (hoping they've forgotten what moves I did in the 1st dance by then). :wink:

foxylady
16th-June-2004, 12:45 PM
No, only you have the men fighting to dance with you like that - the rest of us are not so fortunate :wink: What's your secret??

You misunderstood sparkles... Its the woman trying to force me to relinquish a man she had decided she should have.... Its happened a few times.... I never know what to do, and usually the men do nothing (surprise that !)

Lou
16th-June-2004, 12:46 PM
Its horrible when you've been asked for a second, and someone rushes up and demands you relinquish as they have been waiting (as if you had forced the second dance on the poor hapless man !!!).
Horrible indeed! Is it just me, or does anyone else think that's incredibly rude? I could never imagine going up to someone who is obviously about to dance with someone, and demand they danced with me instead.

I've never seen it. I'm just amazed at the barefaced cheek. :what:

Sheepman
16th-June-2004, 01:17 PM
I very much don't like Jive-bunny-mega-mixes, I had a whole evening of 7 dances with one man then 5 with another - nightmare :eek: :what: :tears:
(There again, if you'd said 12, and it was a nightmare, I would have been seriosuly depressed.)

I would say the norm at my regular busy venues is one dance and move on, but there are plenty of reasons why I will ask for a second, and it's not necessarily to do with the dancing :blush: - we might be chatting and I want to finish the conversation, (which can take quite a while when I'm concentrating on dancing), with friends I know well, I am much more likely to ask for extra dances, if it is someone I've not seen for ages, or I'm not likely to see for a while, if it's 3 am at a weekender, etc, etc.

One person I didn't ask for a second dance last night, was the very strong lady who rammed my finger up my nose, I had to escape and stem the flow of blood :tears: (but I think she was completely oblivious of this.)

Greg

Sparkles
16th-June-2004, 01:18 PM
You misunderstood sparkles... Its the woman trying to force me to relinquish a man she had decided she should have.... Its happened a few times.... I never know what to do, and usually the men do nothing (surprise that !)

Oops, sorry.
Actually yes, I have had that happen to me - but it's only ever happened when I've been expecting it. Mentioning no names, of course, there are certain people that I like to dance with because they are very good dancers, and I know that I'm lucky for them even to accept a dance with me. This is, usually, when the above scenario occurs and, because I feel I have no right to hold their attention (even if we haven't even had one dance yet) I usually defer to the other lady (the one rushing up to take my partner away). Very rarely do I stand my ground in such a situation.
And you're right, the guys usually do nothing to help, just stand and wait untill the girls sort it out between themselves.
It makes me feel very dejected when it happens. :sad:

TheTramp
16th-June-2004, 01:20 PM
And you're right, the guys usually do nothing to help, just stand and wait untill the girls sort it out between themselves.
It makes me feel very dejected when it happens. :sad:
Maybe you should take some lessons from Rachel!!! :D

Trampy

Rachel
16th-June-2004, 01:35 PM
Maybe you should take some lessons from Rachel!!! :D

Trampy Hey, come on ... as if I would start a fight in a public place like that?!! I do, however, have a great selection of very nasty glares ...
R.

ChrisA
16th-June-2004, 01:48 PM
I never know what to do
You shouldn't need to.

, and usually the men do nothing (surprise that !)
Pathetic, IMHO.

The very first time I was asked to dance by two ladies simultaneously (not that it happens very often :tears: ), I was so stunned that I did the rabbit-in-headlights thing...

... but not since.

Sorry if this is a bit sexist, but IMO a guy to whom this happens is totally responsible for resolving it.

It's very simple - if I have accepted an offer of a dance, even if it's only a split second before, I am responsible for politely turning down the next request. I might well "book" the next one with the lady I've regrettably had to decline, and I will attempt to seek her out at the end of the track.

For a bloke to leave it to the ladies in question to fight over you is right out of order IMO. :mad:

Chris

TheTramp
16th-June-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey, come on ... as if I would start a fight in a public place like that?!!
Does that mean that you'll wait until you get them outside?!? :eek:

Trampy

Sparkles
16th-June-2004, 02:12 PM
For a bloke to leave it to the ladies in question to fight over you is right out of order IMO. :mad:

Forte
16th-June-2004, 02:14 PM
::

Sheepman
16th-June-2004, 02:20 PM
It's very simple - if I have accepted an offer of a dance, even if it's only a split second before, I am responsible for politely turning down the next request. I might well "book" the next one with the lady I've regrettably had to decline, and I will attempt to seek her out at the end of the track.

An example from last night, I made eye contact with a lady "across a crowded room" and as she walked towards me through the crowd with that "yes lets dance" look ( :what: ) I was tapped on the shoulder by someone else asking for a dance, the 2 ladies came together, and the first was about to defer, but I said to the second "no sorry, we're booked" I don't think it was too painful, and I did dance with her soon afterwards.

Greg

Sparkles
16th-June-2004, 02:29 PM
An example from last night, I made eye contact with a lady "across a crowded room" and as she walked towards me through the crowd with that "yes lets dance" look ( :what: ) I was tapped on the shoulder by someone else asking for a dance, the 2 ladies came together, and the first was about to defer, but I said to the second "no sorry, we're booked" I don't think it was too painful, and I did dance with her soon afterwards.

Greg

Beautifully handled, if you don't mind me saying so.
Why can't more guys be like that???

S. x

Zebra Woman
16th-June-2004, 02:49 PM
FoxyLady - Sorry,I also misunderstood. I see you're talking about the USUAL feeding frenzy.
Hey Greg! It was 2AM , more than twelve and it was certainly not a nightmare!:drool: :flower: :worthy: Glad we did, as I've not seen you once since then!

Back to the thread.
Is there a protocol? Eye contact wins over touch on shoulder, front touch wins over touch on the back, first come first served?

I seem to lose out against a particular woman whichever position I'm in.I feel very uncomfortable forcing the man to choose so I always back down.:sick:
I try to avoid making eye contact from a distance, as there is plenty of time for trouble as we walk towards each other....Just had an idea..... IF I DANCE TOWARDS HIM THEN WE'RE ALREADY DANCING. :clap:

So if you see anyone looking odd - that'll be me. :blush:

Alison

Rachel
16th-June-2004, 03:12 PM
....Just had an idea..... IF I DANCE TOWARDS HIM THEN WE'RE ALREADY DANCING. :clap: Good thinking! Even better - what about a lasso??

foxylady
16th-June-2004, 03:15 PM
FoxyLady - Sorry,I also misunderstood. I see you're talking about the USUAL feeding frenzy.

Alison

I don't think its usual to tell someone to stop dancing with a guy because I want to dance with him more, and I have more right to....

Its different if two ask simultaneously... and ChrisA always handles situations like those beautifully . :wink:

Zebra Woman
16th-June-2004, 03:23 PM
You're right. What happened to you was totally outrageous, and much worse than the usual goings on. :flower:

Rachel, haven't got a lasso, will my long leather belt do? :devil:

Lory
16th-June-2004, 03:42 PM
A few weeks back, I was dancing with a guy for nearly a whole track in the same spot, then, during the last few bars, he 'danced' me all the way over to the other side of the floor. :what: I looked at him a bit puzzled :confused: and he say, sorry about that, I wanted to ask you if you'd like to carry on for the next track but my 'stalker' was standing on the edge, waiting to pounce! And she doesn't take rejection very well! :sick: :na:

ChrisA
16th-June-2004, 03:55 PM
I feel very uncomfortable forcing the man to choose so I always back down.:sick:
The way I see this is that it's not about making him choose. He has mostly already chosen - even if only a moment before - so it's his duty to be as gallant as possible to the one he must then politely decline.

And if it did happen that two requests are made simultaneously, it's still up to the guy to make damn sure he makes his mind up in one microsecond (max) and makes it clear that he'd already accepted the offer deemed to be first.

I would hope it's similar for the girls when it happens the other way round...

Chris

Bill
16th-June-2004, 05:07 PM
I think the norm up here is 1 dance as well mainly because there are always extra women and it seems polite to dance with as many people as possible in a night.

I think most of us still take it as a huge compliment if our partner asks for a second dance and I certainly feel reluctant most of the time to ask for a second - however great it was - because I assume she will want to head off and dance with other men.

Maybe slightly different if at somewhere like Southport where the dancing can go on till the early hours and so much more time to dance. Actually danced with Fran for about 3, maybe even 4, dances in a row recently which is a very rare event as we often don;t have that many in a whole night :D

Sheepman
16th-June-2004, 05:21 PM
Glad we did, as I've not seen you once since then! The masked Ball of the East :flower:

first come first served?
Yes!
Surely it has to be first come first served, and simultaneous requests? Don't forget us guys have pretty slow brains, and one request is bound to have been noticed before the other one.
To complicate matters, there is the situation where you've said to someone (eg during the lesson) "We must have a dance later", priorities might have to change a little in that case, especially when time is fast running out.

I seem to lose out against a particular woman whichever position I'm in. I feel very uncomfortable forcing the man to choose so I always back down.:sick: Is this a particular woman and any man, or a particular woman and one particular man? (I feel some gossip coming on :devil: )

Greg

Gary
17th-June-2004, 12:32 AM
Horrible indeed! Is it just me, or does anyone else think that's incredibly rude?
Nope, it's not just you.

While I'm on the floor with a girl, she's got all my attention (well, shared with the music, the other dancers, the bozos wandering past not looking where they're going, but basically all my attention). No one should intrude until we're done dancing.

Gary
17th-June-2004, 12:34 AM

bigdjiver
17th-June-2004, 08:58 AM
The way I see this is that it's not about making him choose. He has mostly already chosen - even if only a moment before - so it's his duty to be as gallant as possible to the one he must then politely decline.

And if it did happen that two requests are made simultaneously, it's still up to the guy to make damn sure he makes his mind up in one microsecond (max) and makes it clear that he'd already accepted the offer deemed to be first.

I would hope it's similar for the girls when it happens the other way round...

ChrisI have to agree, in principle, and this is how I normally handle this. The one occasion I did not handle it was due to surprise at the amount of aggression shown, and the body language of the two ladies involved, who turned their back on me and stepped away to resolve it amongst themselves. How many guys would dare to make a forceable intervention when the ladies are adopting a "nothing to do with you" attitude?

under par
17th-June-2004, 09:03 AM
I have to agree, in principle, and this is how I normally handle this. The one occasion I did not handle it was due to surprise at the amount of aggression shown, and the body language of the two ladies involved, who turned their back on me and stepped away to resolve it amongst themselves. How many guys would dare to make a forceable intervention when the ladies are adopting a "nothing to do with you" attitude?

A frightening moment, best leave them to it eh! :wink:

Divissima
17th-June-2004, 09:04 AM
A frightening moment, best leave them to it eh! :wink:And this from a man who doesn't scare easily!

Zebra Woman
17th-June-2004, 09:35 AM
A few weeks back, I was dancing with a guy for nearly a whole track in the same spot, then, during the last few bars, he 'danced' me all the way over to the other side of the floor. :what: I looked at him a bit puzzled :confused: and he say, sorry about that, I wanted to ask you if you'd like to carry on for the next track but my 'stalker' was standing on the edge, waiting to pounce! And she doesn't take rejection very well! :sick: :na:
Hey Lory you're not alone. :flower: :hug:
I've had that. The stalker was dancing near us, so we did a columbian all the way to the opposite corner of the room. She must have absolutely sprinted through a mass of bodies. Because there she was asking for the next dance!!! Which she got. :angry:
I don't know how she had time to thank her previous partner. :what:

Peter
17th-June-2004, 10:51 AM
... is it that normally people dance two songs with each partner in the UK but the guys were looking for an excuse to stop dancing with Janet (Bradburn)?

When dancing with Janet, I would be thinking more along the lines of whether I could get away with three or four songs ...

Gadget
17th-June-2004, 11:25 AM
FWIW here's my take on it:
If a lady asks me for a second dance, I am flattered and always comply. If they ask for a third in a row I am slightly embarrassed and feel guilty that there are other women I haven't danced with yet and have been known to decline, but promise one later. (Unless there are very few ladies available and I've danced with them all already)

I've never been interrupted from going onto a second dance, so don't know what I would do.

I have had two ladies ask me simultaneously - in general the one I had eye contact with wins, but I then promise the second lady the next one and will refuse dances to ensure that I do actually dance with them.

I have been one of two men to ask a lady simultaneously; generally I bow out and catch the lady later (unless they grab me): Since I have a limited stock of partners (I only go to one or two venues), I'm sure that I will dance with them at some point in the future.

I have asked for a second dance a few times - normally it's because I didn't feel that my partner got a good dance from the first one and would like a second chance to prove to them that I can actually dance better than that. Alternatively it's because I liked the dance, like the next track and want another :drool:

under par
17th-June-2004, 11:50 AM
I have asked for a second dance a few times - normally it's because I didn't feel that my partner got a good dance from the first one and would like a second chance to prove to them that I can actually dance better than that. Alternatively it's because I liked the dance, like the next track and want another :drool:
This is often when I ask for a second dance..... you are on the floor you accept to dance and the record does not inspire............you dance a bit like muffin the mule instead of Rudolf Nureyev ...... you try to redeem yourself by asking for a further dance.......hoping the DJ will remember to follow up with FIRE or something similar......works most times :eek: :sick:

Sandy
17th-June-2004, 05:57 PM
:yeah: But I will ask for a second if the music appeals, or I know the man will be difficult to get to again, or he always dances two with everyone. :grin:

I

I have never asked for a second dance but will gladly dance a second dance if it is with the right person and the right music. If you aren't in sync with the person then 2 dances can seem a long time!

I also like to hear the gap otherwise you have no idea when it will end. However with the right person, I guess it wouldn't matter! :wink:

Sandy :nice:

jivecat
17th-June-2004, 08:26 PM
I have had two ladies ask me simultaneously - in general the one I had eye contact with wins, but I then promise the second lady the next one and will refuse dances to ensure that I do actually dance with them.

What a gent! :flower:

I love being asked for a second dance, regardless of quality, 'cos I'm easily flattered and it shores up my shaky confidence. If I get asked for a third dance, especially by a good leader, I'm practically flying with delight. Three dances in a row is definitely my limit with a dodgy partner, though.

Strangely enough, though I'm quite happy to ask blokes for a first dance, I (almost) never ask anyone for a second, consecutive dance, no matter how much I want to. Don't want to push my luck, I suppose. Doubles the chances of getting knocked back!

Lory
17th-June-2004, 08:43 PM
Strangely enough, though I'm quite happy to ask blokes for a first dance, I (almost) never ask anyone for a second, consecutive dance, no matter how much I want to. Don't want to push my luck, I suppose. Doubles the chances of getting knocked back! :yeah:
I'm exactly the same, I have no problem ever asking a guy for a first dance but I'd have to know them really well and be VERY confident that they enjoyed dancing with me too, to ask for a second! :o

Sandy
18th-June-2004, 08:27 AM
What a gent! :flower:

I love being asked for a second dance, regardless of quality, 'cos I'm easily flattered and it shores up my shaky confidence. If I get asked for a third dance, especially by a good leader, I'm practically flying with delight. Three dances in a row is definitely my limit with a dodgy partner, though.

Strangely enough, though I'm quite happy to ask blokes for a first dance, I (almost) never ask anyone for a second, consecutive dance, no matter how much I want to. Don't want to push my luck, I suppose. Doubles the chances of getting knocked back!

I agree! Although I still have to put on this "confident" image to ask for one dance never mind two! Whenever a really good track comes on it makes it easier to ask someone because the need to dance is greater than the worry of being pushy or getting embarrassed!

Although it is totally acceptable to ask a guy to dance and even although we live in enlightened times, I sometimes still find it difficult to ask a guy to dance. Stupid I know!

Sandy :cheers:

Sparkles
18th-June-2004, 10:52 AM
Although it is totally acceptable to ask a guy to dance and even although we live in enlightened times, I sometimes still find it difficult to ask a guy to dance. Stupid I know!

I have no problem asking a guy to dance with me, but I feel I'd be pushing it to ask for another after the first, so if I really want to continue dancing with them I tend to just loiter for a few seconds after the song ends. If they don't want to dance again they walk away, if they do I'm still there to be asked!

under par
18th-June-2004, 10:57 AM

I have no problem asking a guy to dance with me, but I feel I'd be pushing it to ask for another after the first, so if I really want to continue dancing with them I tend to just loiter for a few seconds after the song ends. If they don't want to dance again they walk away, if they do I'm still there to be asked!

Don't loiter! :angry: Ask :kiss: :yeah:

Sandy
18th-June-2004, 10:59 AM

Loitering with intent! yep sounds good to me! :wink:

Sandy :cheers:

Sandy
18th-June-2004, 11:02 AM

"Are ye dancin?"

"Are ye askin"

"Naw, I'm just stawnin here"!!!

How do most girls ask guys to dance?? Think I need a new line! :wink:

Sandy

Sparkles
18th-June-2004, 11:02 AM

Don't you think it's a bit pushy for a lady to ask and then ask again? :blush: Especially when there are normally more women than men at a venue?

Sandy
18th-June-2004, 11:04 AM
Don't you think it's a bit pushy for a lady to ask and then ask again? :blush: Especially when there are normally more women than men at a venue?

Exactly! especially when the next woman is queuing up behind waiting to grab the guy as soon as you let go!

Sandy

Nicola
18th-June-2004, 11:13 AM
It used to be that, in the midlands, it was highly offensive not to have two dances with someone. If they walked away after just one dance, it meant they had hated it! (And if you had three dances - rumours were rife!!)

Oops, think I must have missed that rule! :blush: You'd hardly dance with anyone if you had two dances per person! Really sorry if I've offended anyone in the midlands! :hug: Forgive me!

Sparkles
18th-June-2004, 11:14 AM
Exactly! especially when the next woman is queuing up behind waiting to grab the guy as soon as you let go!

See, guys just don't realise how much politics is actually involved in asking for dances!
You dance with someone, you really liked it and want to dance with him again, but when the song finishes you have several other ladies giving you evil looks and their expressions say "ask him to dance again and I'm gonna be really annoyed!". What are you supposed to do???
That's why, if I've asked a guy to dance, I leave the next number up to him to decide on - after all, if he enjoyed the dance too and he askes me for the next then it's not my fault the other ladies aren't getting to dance with him and they can't get angry with me :grin:

TheTramp
18th-June-2004, 11:15 AM
There's a queue for other men???

I normally have to pay ladies to dance with me :tears:

Trampy

Sandy
18th-June-2004, 11:20 AM
There's a queue for other men???

Trampy

Yeh, right! No chance of that being the truth Trampy!

Then again, maybe it's because............your'e just a beginner! :devil:

Sandy x

Sparkles
18th-June-2004, 11:21 AM
Yeh, right! No chance of that being the truth Trampy!

Then again, maybe it's because............your'e just a beginner! :devil:

Sandy x

See, no-one else believes you either :wink:

Dance Demon
18th-June-2004, 11:22 AM

Trampy

Tsk......and you a poor student too......
:D

Lory
18th-June-2004, 11:23 AM
See, no-one else believes you either :wink:
Try asking him, you get an answer something like! Yes great, when I get a minute! :wink:

Sparkles
18th-June-2004, 11:27 AM
Try asking him, you get an answer something like! Yes great, when I get a minute! :wink:

Thanks for the tip :kiss:

If that's the case I don't think I'll bother. :rolleyes:
If he wants to dance with me he can come and ask me himself!

TheTramp
18th-June-2004, 11:29 AM
Sparkles....

Will you dance with me please :flower: :flower:

Trampy

LilyB
18th-June-2004, 11:36 AM

Trampy
That's £2,543.52 you owe me then. :devil:

LilyB

Rachel
18th-June-2004, 11:45 AM

LilyB Oh come on - he must have had more than 3 dances with you!! Or is that just this week's charge?

('Because you're worth it ...'!)
R.

bigdjiver
18th-June-2004, 12:22 PM
If there has to be a rule about second invites I think that it should be that the asked does the asking. "If " ...

Flash
18th-June-2004, 12:44 PM
When I was down under I danced at Woolloomolloo (Gary - spelling?) Mosman and Willoughby. 2 is very much the norm over there I felt. 1 gets you used to the bloke and 2 is a good dance. Sometimes if I was really lucky I got 3. Number 3 is when the fabby dancing starts.

3 can be too much, 1 is definitely not enough, 2 seems about right. Well they say the second one is always better than the first.....

Sparkles
18th-June-2004, 12:44 PM
Sparkles....
Will you dance with me please :flower: :flower:
Trampy

What a shame you're so far away ...
maybe if you ask in person :wink:

Sheepman
18th-June-2004, 02:17 PM

LilyB Lily, have you thought about starting up a website for men that want a fabulous dancer to escort to office dos etc. :devil:

I always ask Lily for a second dance, (even though I can't afford it), except when I've promised the next dance to someone else.

Greg

TheTramp
19th-June-2004, 12:13 AM
What a shame you're so far away ...
maybe if you ask in person :wink:
How about you move closer then..... :flower:

Trampy

TheTramp
19th-June-2004, 12:14 AM

LilyB
If you just submit the bill (in triplicate) to my account, the cheque will be in the post straight away.... :yum:

Trampy

Sparkles
19th-June-2004, 12:25 AM
How about you move closer then..... :flower:

Trampy

How am I supposed to refuse an offer like that?!
:rolleyes:

TheTramp
19th-June-2004, 03:38 AM
How am I supposed to refuse an offer like that?!
:rolleyes:
I can't think of a way off the top of my head either!! :wink:

Trampy

foxylady
19th-June-2004, 08:30 PM
I can't think of a way off the top of my head either!! :wink:

Trampy

Sounds like true love to me ....... :wink:

Blast wrong thread !!

ElaineB
19th-June-2004, 09:20 PM
Down in deepest darkest Brissol, it is the custom to have two dances. :nice:

I'm glad that this thread has started, 'coz when I came to London I thought that I was wearing the wrong perfume as I seemed to get only one dance with some guys. Now I know the form and am flattered that I have been lucky enough to get asked for another!

And Trampy, really, you promised Lily that your cheque would be in the post - well, don't believe him - lot's of the Ladies in Bristol and Cardiff are still waiting for their money! He's all talk! :rofl:

Elaine

bigdjiver
20th-June-2004, 12:32 AM
Until recently I was almost entirely a one dance per partner man at my home venue. Now I have taken to having several dances with a few select partners, which is giving me far more oportunity to develop, and am enjoying the selfish pleasure immensely. On the other hand I am aware that this is not going down too well with a few of the ladies, who actually seem to miss the certainty of a dance with me. I am considering the situation. (Gimme more freestyle ...)

Gary
20th-June-2004, 08:30 AM
When I was down under I danced at Woolloomolloo (Gary - spelling?).

I usually spell it "the city" because I'm a spelling coward.

If forced, I'd try it with one more 'o' (you just can't stuff enough 'o's into the name) giving Woolloomoolloo.

I believe Mark's moving away from "the city" to the South Sydney Leagues Club, also in the city, but the new venue has drinks, parking, and I can spell all the words in the name :clap:

Martin
20th-June-2004, 02:44 PM
I usually spell it "the city" because I'm a spelling coward.

If forced, I'd try it with one more 'o' (you just can't stuff enough 'o's into the name) giving Woolloomoolloo.

I believe Mark's moving away from "the city" to the South Sydney Leagues Club, also in the city, but the new venue has drinks, parking, and I can spell all the words in the name :clap:

A tough one, actually spelt Woolloomooloo (only coz I checked :blush: )

Lory
20th-June-2004, 05:20 PM
I simply lurvvve that word! Every woman should say it in the mirror, at least twice, just before going out the door (after they've applied lashings of lip gloss!) FANTASTIC! :D :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

Bardsey
21st-June-2004, 01:02 PM

I think I've heard of that place........doesn't Sheepman live there? :rofl:

Rhythm King
21st-June-2004, 02:08 PM
"Bruce and myself come from the University of Woolloomoloo. I'm in charge of Logical Positivism and Bruce is in charge of the sheep dip. We'd like to tell you a little about the wonderful philosophers we study here in Australia..." :wink:

Well, someone had to bring it up, one can't let an opportunity like that go past, it'd be like leaving Diva, or Debster stood on the side of the floor tapping their toes to a really hot track, for want of being asked to dance!

Sheepman
21st-June-2004, 02:29 PM
...doesn't Sheepman live there? :rofl:No, that would be Sheepstor you're thinking of - it's on the moors in Devon. I'm thinking of starting a "Sheepsters" dance night there, but all the locals have 2 left feet. :wink:

Greg

Bardsey
21st-June-2004, 02:35 PM
but all the locals have 2 left feet. :wink:

Greg

That's okay, I know a certain "she-man" who'd come along :D

Martin
21st-June-2004, 02:55 PM
"Bruce and myself come from the University of Woolloomoloo. I'm in charge of Logical Positivism and Bruce is in charge of the sheep dip. We'd like to tell you a little about the wonderful philosophers we study here in Australia..." :wink:

Well, someone had to bring it up, one can't let an opportunity like that go past, it'd be like leaving Diva, or Debster stood on the side of the floor tapping their toes to a really hot track, for want of being asked to dance!

That must have been a while ago, have not seen any sheep in Sydney, I think all the Kangaroos bouncing down the main streets frightened them off :tears: