PDA

View Full Version : It's Here!!!

azande
15th-June-2004, 01:24 PM
From MacMinute.com

http://www.macminute.com/images/flash.gif June 15 - 07:21 EDT<!--/date--> Apple today officially launched its iTunes Music Store in the UK, France and Germany giving music fans there the same large online catalogue, a la carte pricing, free previews, one-click purchasing and downloading, and more that have made iTunes the number one online music service in the world. As expected, the songs are priced at 79pense/€0.99 each, with albums starting at £7.99/€9.99 -- a catalog of over 700,000 songs is available. Apple also announced today that it will launch a European Union version of the iTunes Music Store in October of this year.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jayne
15th-June-2004, 01:39 PM
As expected, the songs are priced at 79pense/€0.99 each, with albums starting at £7.99/€9.99
Given that the exchange rate is currently 1.5042 (Euro to Pound) this makes the UK prices 16% more expensive that the European prices. Is this another example of "rip-off Britain" or a reflection on Mac?

J :devil:

Franck
15th-June-2004, 01:45 PM
Given that the exchange rate is currently 1.5042 (Euro to Pound) this makes the UK prices 16% more expensive that the European prices. Is this another example of "rip-off Britain" or a reflection on Mac?Or maybe it's just because in the UK we have VAT? :nice:

I've activated my account and browsing / downloading as I type!

Best news in ages, and for anyone without itunes... now is the time to give it a try :D
Free pc or mac download from www.apple.com/itunes

Franck
15th-June-2004, 01:53 PM
As expected, the songs are priced at 79pense/€0.99 each, with albums starting at £7.99/€9.99 Wow... how efficient is that!
Within minutes of listening to the free preview of the track, it is now on my hard-drive... ready to play :D

What a bonus for all Ceroc DJs everywhere... No need to buy the full (overpriced) album - unless you want to. Just cherry pick the one or two danceable tracks and for £1.50 you have the latest dance floor hits...

and for all of you Windows users out there, think of how much you will save on virus protection software when buying music legally! :devil:

Tiggerbabe
15th-June-2004, 09:04 PM
and for all of you Windows users out there
with the exception of the poor s***that have Windows ME - where's the green "sick as a parrot" smilie when you need it :tears: :tears:
I feel an iBook purchase coming on :wink: :drool:

Dreadful Scathe
15th-June-2004, 11:46 PM
and for all of you Windows users out there, think of how much you will save on virus protection software when buying music legally! :devil:

hah, the best virus killer software is FREE at www.grisoft.com. Also if you dont use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express you'll cut your virus possibilities by nearly 100% :)

..but a Mac is still less likely to be affected at all :)

DavidB
16th-June-2004, 12:11 PM
Good comparison of all the different download websites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3794229.stm

ITunes would be my least favourite because of its format isn't supported by anything apart from over-priced IPods. (But if you have an Ipod it makes it the obvious choice.)

xSalsa_Angelx
16th-June-2004, 12:33 PM
Cool Great news :D
I tried downloading itunes a couple of weeks ago only to find it was the American version and was not available in the UK.

Guess what am doing at the weekend now? Off to find all my fav Ceroc Tunes :o

azande
16th-June-2004, 01:28 PM
Good comparison of all the different download websites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3794229.stm

ITunes would be my least favourite because of its format isn't supported by anything apart from over-priced IPods. (But if you have an Ipod it makes it the obvious choice.) The iPod might be overpriced compared to other MP3 players but you could alway download from the iTMS and convert the song to MP3 and use it with any other player. For what I've seen the iTMS is the best store around.

Sheepman
16th-June-2004, 01:30 PM
ITunes would be my least favourite because of its format isn't supported by anything apart from over-priced IPods. (But if you have an Ipod it makes it the obvious choice.) Well I don't have an iPod or an Apple, but as i-Tunes is so much better than anything else I've used I'll stick with it, and if you really need it in MP3 format, it's easy enough to convert.

Jayne, good point re. the rip off Britain prices, maybe I should set up an account with an Irish bank account, though presumably if you are logged on in the UK you pay UK prices? And Franck, VAT is higher in most of Europe (particularly Ireland - 21% last time I looked) than it is here.

Greg