PDA

View Full Version : Which comp would you most like to win

Martin
14th-June-2004, 02:54 PM
A serious question here, following on from a discussion today with Adrian and Louise (who have just won Aussie "JiveMasters", the past winners catogory of one of the comps over here).

They are wanting to come over to the UK to compete (money permiting) and were asking me which comp was "the one to win", as they cannot be over in the UK for the whole year...

I said I would get back to them with the latest...

From what people have told me so far...
Blackpool is the biggest and most open, as in Ceroc and non-Ceroc dancers percieve they get a fair crack.
Ceroc London is one I enjoy, and seen by some as the major "Ceroc dance company" comp
JiveMasters is fun to watch and I like the fact that the audience decides and couples get to dance on their own, one drawback is that it is by invitation only, so can it be seen as an open comp of the best around?
I know there are also others - ones I know being Bristol, Brighton and Scotland.

So the summary so far I could give them was Blackpool, the biggest, Ceroc London the main "Ceroc dance company" comp, and JiveMasters - great fun but invitation only so could you say you were the UK national champs?

Please vote and comment.. Informed feedback from dancers and organisers requested. - You could also PM me...

[Note to comp organisers, anyone want to pay for them to come over - maybe for them to also teach some workshops? They are also great teachers]

Martin

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2004, 04:28 PM
Each competition is good for different reasons.

If I wanted to win a competition to promote myself as a teacher it would have to be Blackpool as I see that one as truly national and not leaning towards any particular organisation. The judging is transparent and I almost always agree with the results - even when I don't agree, all I'd have done would have been to have placed 1st and 2nd the other way around or something similar.

If I wanted to win a competition for the money it would be Brighton or the Jive Masters.

I enter competitions for fun and I think winning the Jive Masters must be the most fun because it lasts the longest: Blackpool comes a close second in terms of fun because of the venue and the audience. Having said that, you can have almost as much fun not winning competitions. In the last 3 competitions I've entered I've been in a final and come 4th - and I had an absolutely fantastic time not getting a medal:clap:

Martin
14th-June-2004, 04:30 PM
So far 14 votes, one PM and 85 views.

Have 70 people got no opinions?

Honest, people ask me... What do I recommend?

Please comment or PM me if too sensitive an issue for you to post.

Martin
14th-June-2004, 04:41 PM
Each competition is good for different reasons.

If I wanted to win a competition to promote myself as a teacher it would have to be Blackpool as I see that one as truly national and not leaning towards any particular organisation. The judging is transparent and I almost always agree with the results - even when I don't agree, all I'd have done would have been to have placed 1st and 2nd the other way around or something similar.

If I wanted to win a competition for the money it would be Brighton or the Jive Masters.

I enter competitions for fun and I think winning the Jive Masters must be the most fun because it lasts the longest: Blackpool comes a close second in terms of fun because of the venue and the audience. Having said that, you can have almost as much fun not winning competitions. In the last 3 competitions I've entered I've been in a final and come 4th - and I had an absolutely fantastic time not getting a medal:clap:

Thanks Andy for your contribution,

I guess the thing is, if someone from another country came to the UK to compete - what comp would they enter to genuinely say they were the "UK champs".
Money really is not the thing. The point is "can I compete with the best in the UK"?

I loved doing the Double Trouble in the Ceroc London comp (coming 1st helped my post champs ellation) - thing is, can I say I am the "UK double trouble champ" or do I just say "I won one of the comps"?

Martin

Franck
14th-June-2004, 04:50 PM
I guess the thing is, if someone from another country came to the UK to compete - what comp would they enter to genuinely say they were the "UK champs".I voted for the Ceroc Champs and to clarify, despite my obvious allegiance to Ceroc as a company, I still think it is the one to win, and having gone to both this year and enjoyed both of them, the standard of dancers was higher in London.
With hopefully a new venue next year, the Ceroc Champs might be unbeatable!
Had I had multiple choice I would have voted for Blackpool and the Scottish Champs too :D especially if they want to be the best in Scotland (a highly acclaimed title!)

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2004, 04:54 PM
I loved doing the Double Trouble in the Ceroc London comp (coming 1st helped my post champs ellation) - thing is, can I say I am the "UK double trouble champ" or do I just say "I won one of the comps"?

Martin

IMHO double-trouble is a fun category and you can say what you like. In fact you can probably say what you like in any of the categories. Each championship, except the Jive Masters, invites everyone from all over the nation to enter - so I suppose you could be the national champion if you won a competition.

We all know that the winner is really only the best of those who competed on the day - very much like we know that there are more beautiful women than the winner of Miss World.

So, go on, call yourself the "UK Ceroc Double Trouble Champion 2004" - anyone in the UK could have entered and you won:clap:

In fact, anyone from anywhere in the whole world could have entered the Ceroc Champs...

Martin - Double Trouble World Champion:wink:

Gus
14th-June-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks Andy for your contribution,

I guess the thing is, if someone from another country came to the UK to compete - what comp would they enter to genuinely say they were the "UK champs".

Sorry ... no such thing. Look at the competitors who actualy dance in the main competitions. Even the Jivemasters has key competitiors missing. Some top dancers wont dance in certain competitions because of political issues or previous bad experiences. Its a bit like boxing ... there are three different association ... unless you hold all three champion belts you can't truly be called a Champion. (IMHO) :sick:

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2004, 05:07 PM
I voted for the Ceroc Champs and to clarify, despite my obvious allegiance to Ceroc as a company, I still think it is the one to win, and having gone to both this year and enjoyed both of them, the standard of dancers was higher in London.

I think that the standard of dancing was higher in London. Many of the dancers were the same. I think the higher standard was due to the freedom allowed by the Open Category.

IMHO the standard of spectating was higher in Blackpool. The viewing facilities were better for the spectators and the Scottish contingent in particular have taken spectating to a new high not even approached in London.

I still think the one to win if you're really going to call yourself the British or UK champion is Blackpool. And my reasons for saying this are because the judges are more experienced and the scoring is more transparent. That doesn't mean I think the judges at Ceroc aren't up to it, they're just not as 'up to it' as the judges in Blackpool. And, on the subject of scoring, the Ceroc champs are highly secretive about the method used to calculate the winners and the scores given: the Blackpool organisers and judges are as open as they can be.

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 05:14 PM
I'd agree with you about the standard of dancing, Andy. The top 4 contestants of the Advanced in Blackpool and Open in London had 6 of the same people, just two different male partners. The fact that the standard of dancing might be higher, might just be due to the fact that it's the second competition of the year, so people have had more time to put practise in.

I tend to agree with Gus on your second point though (although, since most of the people are the same, in almost the same order, maybe it actually doesn't matter!!). I don't think that any single competition can claim to provide the UK champion. Who the judges are, and the transparency of the scoring obviously doesn't make that much of a difference, since the results were so similar!!

But Blackpool is definitely a better venue, however, if they do produce a new venue next year, there might not be such a difference there either...

Trampy

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2004, 05:22 PM
But Blackpool is definitely a better venue, however, if they do produce a new venue next year, there might not be such a difference there either...

Trampy

Albert Hall here we come:clap:

What's the parking like?:devil:

Martin
14th-June-2004, 05:30 PM
IMHO double-trouble is a fun category and you can say what you like.

Yes it is a fun category (and we had loads of fun doing it) - does not stop people from trying to impress and play to the audience, rather like old gits I suppose... :blush:

All power to those who entered the open and did well.

Back on thread, at the end of the day I am looking to provide a recomendation to Aussie dancers. If I have 2 weeks holiday, which comp do I enter?

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 05:33 PM
At the end of the day, I would have thought that there would be far more important things to worry about when deciding to come to the UK, than just which competition. Blackpool is the first weekend of March. The UK is almost guarenteed to be wet and cold around that time. Not great for sightseeing. The Ceroc champs are the first weekend in May. Weather will possibly be a lot better.

I think if I were an Aussie coming over, that'd possibly matter more to me!! :D

Trampy

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2004, 05:42 PM
Back on thread, at the end of the day I am looking to provide a recomendation to Aussie dancers. If I have 2 weeks holiday, which comp do I enter?

I really don't think there's anything to choose between the standard of competitor at either Blackpool or London. And I think the competitions are so close together either one would be worth considering - I would say that work/leave considerations would be the first thing to think about as the differences between the two aren't that great.

All other things being equal I would choose the Blackpool event. The venue is better than London. However, if there is a new and equal venue for London the balance might shift as the UK weather would be better in May compared to March.

The other thing to consider is which competition would best suit the style of dance from Australia: I get the impression that there is an emphasis on lifts and air-steps that you don't find in the UK. This difference shows up best in the Open Category that allows lifts. If there isn't an Open Category in Blackpool your Australian friends might be better off at the London champs.

Nothing's ever simple:confused:

Sheepman
14th-June-2004, 05:48 PM
I think that the standard of dancing was higher in London. Many of the dancers were the same. I would agree that there were a greater number of couples dancing to a higher standard, but at the very top, I don't think it was that different, after all, Clayton and Janine won both comps, and IMO danced much better at Blackpool. I would still like to see a top category with NO aerials, (well DavidB needs to take it easy nowadays :wink: )

I still think the one to win if you're really going to call yourself the British or UK champion is Blackpool. And my reasons for saying this are because the judges are more experienced and the scoring is more transparent. . . . the Blackpool organisers and judges are as open as they can be. :yeah:
I haven't voted for any of the categories, because basically I'd love to win any of them :tears: The different competitions have different appeals, but in terms of prestige, I would say it currently has to be Blackpool. Although Jive Masters was brilliant last year (and I'm sure will be this year) I can't attach the same leve of prestige to a competition that isn't "open", yes I know this is probably contrary.

Greg

DavidB
14th-June-2004, 05:56 PM
Blackpool is the first weekend of March. The UK is almost guarenteed to be wet and cold around that time. Not great for sightseeing. The Ceroc champs are the first weekend in May. Weather will possibly be a lot better.The cost of the flights is just as important to many people. The closer to summer (UK) the more expensive it is likely to be.

There are also the rules to consider - especially if like many Australian couples they like doing lifts.

One last thing might be the confirmation of dates. When you are travelling that far, you have to plan a long way in advance. If only one comp is confirmed 6 months in advance, you might not have a choice.

My preference would be to do Blackpool - purely because the venue is better.

charlie_no_socks
14th-June-2004, 05:58 PM
The Ceroc champs are the first weekend in May. Weather will possibly be a lot better.

I think if I were an Aussie coming over, that'd possibly matter more to me!! :D

Trampy

I don't think Aussie's visit the UK for the weather any more than the English would visit Australia to watch the soccer.

There tend to be more modern jive events and more people at them during the colder months.

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't think Aussie's visit the UK for the weather any more than the English would visit Australia to watch the soccer.
I didn't say they'd come here for the weather.

But given that they will (presumably) want to spend at least some time sightseeing since (again) I'm assuming that they'd come over for more reason than to do a MJ competition, it's a lot more pleasant doing that, when it's not raining time, and very cold (which it's more likely to be in early March, than in May - which is why I'm assuming (again) that there's always been a bigger influx of people at the Ceroc competition than at Blackpool (in previous years)).

Would influence me more I think.... Who goes on holiday in February, looking for places where it's cold and raining, (although, cold and snowing is fantastic!! :D)

Trampy

Martin
14th-June-2004, 06:09 PM
The cost of the flights is just as important to many people. The closer to summer (UK) the more expensive it is likely to be.

There are also the rules to consider - especially if like many Australian couples they like doing lifts.

One last thing might be the confirmation of dates. When you are travelling that far, you have to plan a long way in advance. If only one comp is confirmed 6 months in advance, you might not have a choice.

My preference would be to do Blackpool - purely because the venue is better.

This may well swing it - Ceroc London did not have thier dates out till very late.
So hard to plan.

Fortunately, Adrian and Louise, whilst good at lifts, have such a wide range, that it is not a problem if only floorwork.

One thing I have not heard from is "Jive Masters" - low votes + no PM's - A & L were told from Nicky "this is the one to win" (I wonder why?) :confused:

charlie_no_socks
14th-June-2004, 06:42 PM
One thing I have not heard from is "Jive Masters" - low votes + no PM's - A & L were told from Nicky "this is the one to win" (I wonder why?) :confused:

Because she won it.

spindr
14th-June-2004, 06:42 PM
This may well swing it - Ceroc London did not have thier dates out till very late.

At least historically, I think it's been on the first May bank holiday w/end? The same time as Jumping At The Woodside (http://www.jazzjiveswing.com/events/index_events.html)? If they're prepared for an exhausting w/end they could always combine the two -- especially as JATW usually has some world-class teachers.

On the other hand, Blackpool is a complete weekend experience: dance on the Friday, compete on the Saturday and wind-down with a tea-dance on the Sunday. Plus, Chance2Dance offer complete packages, including accomodation? I think people were trying to find a good event the Friday before the Ceroc Masters this year? Maybe that'd be one deciding point? (If someone's collecting ideas for next years Ceroc Masters, maybe trying to organise a dance nearby on the evening beforehand might be a good idea --- maybe even as part of a package?).

SpinDr.

RobC
15th-June-2004, 01:08 PM
Well the thing to remember with the Jive Masters is that you first have to get through the heats (assuming that you get invited - still waiting for my invite :whistle: ) before getting to the final and you won't fit them both into a single 2 week holiday, so if time off work / cost of flights etc is an issue, A & L will probably have to rule it out. :sad:

Divissima
15th-June-2004, 04:24 PM
I think Rob is right - it has to be a major factor that there is a gap of at least a few weeks between the heat and the final for the Jive Masters. I believe Nicky and Robert came over twice last year! So on that basis, I'd say the one-day comps would be more suitable for people travelling all that way. There is no doubt that the Jive Masters is a prestigious title to hold.

Will
15th-June-2004, 04:33 PM
As I understand it, the Aussie JM was seen as a heat for the UK JM, so A & L would therefore qualify for the final of the UK JM in NOV to be held at E17.... minister.

Sheepman
15th-June-2004, 04:53 PM
I think Rob is right - it has to be a major factor that there is a gap of at least a few weeks between the heat and the final for the Jive Masters.
I'm sure Will is right on this, so if they could stay for 4 weeks, they could also do Britroc, Camber, and probably more, workshops etc. etc.

Greg

Martin
15th-June-2004, 05:00 PM
I think Rob is right - it has to be a major factor that there is a gap of at least a few weeks between the heat and the final for the Jive Masters. I believe Nicky and Robert came over twice last year! So on that basis, I'd say the one-day comps would be more suitable for people travelling all that way. There is no doubt that the Jive Masters is a prestigious title to hold.

Rob, Will and Divissima,

A & L can come just to do the finals [jive masters] as they did win Aussie Jive masters which was agreed before the aussie comp.
That is what they were going to do, then they asked me if this is the top UK champs to do.

They do not want a free lunch to a title, they want to work for it against the top that the UK can offer and see if they can compete with the best.
They have taken out so many of the Aussie comps it is embarising!

Prestigious is good - the MOST prestigious is what they are after. OK if they do not make it, well and good. BUT they would like to go up against the BEST.

I also suggested matching up with a Jive week-ender. So much fun...

In a couple of days I need to talk to them and suggest "the comp" to enter AND maybe a dance week-end that is on near to that + who to see, to do some workshops ( as they are fab dancers and great teachers ).

As to the weather and time of year - forget it, UK is UK, if you want good weather live in Aus.

Opinions and views required...

charlie_no_socks
15th-June-2004, 05:06 PM
They do not want a free lunch to a title, they want to work for it against the top that the UK can offer and see if they can compete with the best.

Although Blackpool has the best rep I think the whole scene changes from year to year. It depends on who enters.

You basically need to find out which comps Janine and Clayton are doing, and beat them, since no one else does!

Divissima
15th-June-2004, 05:08 PM
A & L can come just to do the finals [jive masters] as they did win Aussie Jive masters which was agreed before the aussie comp.D'oh! :blush: Sorry, this was mentioned earlier in the thread, you are quite right. I'm being dippy-Divi this afternoon - it is too darn hot in London today :o

Well the question of which is the most prestigious competition to win is a different question from which I would most like to win. IMHO both are highly subjective questions.

Andy McGregor
15th-June-2004, 05:18 PM
You basically need to find out which comps Janine and Clayton are doing, and beat them, since no one else does!

Or you could find out which Hotel they're staying in and lock all the doors:devil:

Martin
15th-June-2004, 05:24 PM
D'oh! :blush: Sorry, this was mentioned earlier in the thread, you are quite right. I'm being dippy-Divi this afternoon - it is too darn hot in London today :o

Well the question of which is the most prestigious competition to win is a different question from which I would most like to win. IMHO both are highly subjective questions.

If Clayton and Janine are still in the UK - would be great to see the match up Charlie.

I know it is subjective Divi - Bottom line is...
If you want to say you competed with the best and won - I would say CerocAustralia November comps is where the top dancers go to get a fair crack and is seen as the biggest and most open champs where you have to work real hard to get a place. Tougher than all the rest and has cudos in Aussie.

What is the UK equivilent?

DavidB
15th-June-2004, 05:57 PM
65% say blackpool. Next closest is 25%. I would say that answers the question.

Now to go off topic (this thread has been the longest on-topic thread this year!)

We should start up an 'Ashes' dance competition. One Showcase couple. One freestyle couple. And an additional freestyle round where you have to swap partners within your team. Have it one year in the UK, and the next year in Australia. (The 'Ashes' could be a burnt copy of the Ceroc moves book sealed inside a spare Jive Masters DVD case.)

Andy McGregor
15th-June-2004, 06:05 PM
biggest

-snip-

1. Blackpool.
2= Ceroc London, Jive Masters (difficult because Jive Masters is over many heats)
4= Weston Super Mare, Brighton, Scottish Ceroc

and most open champs

-snip-

1. Blackpool
2= Scottish Ceroc, Brighton, Weston, Jive Masters
5. Ceroc London.

N.B. I have taken this to mean open in terms of disclosure of judging method and scores and perceived politics/company bias.

where you have to work real hard to get a place.

-snip-

1= Blackpool, Ceroc London, Jive Masters
4= Weston, Brighton, Ceroc Scotland.

So, it we were to take the answers to all of your questions it would have to be Blackpool that was the one to win.

But were they the right questions? For instance, if you were to ask which comp was the most friendly I would guess at Scotland*:clap:

*I've never been to the Scottish Champs but The Tramp tells me the natives are very friendly :wink: - I have been to all of the others.

N.B. As the Tramp says, I think the weather is a real consideration if you're staying for 2 weeks or more. I think it boils down to a choice between Ceroc London and Blackpool. It is likely to be cold, wet and windy in late Feb/early March. It can be nice in May:waycool:

Andy McGregor
15th-June-2004, 06:15 PM
We should start up an 'Ashes' dance competition. One Showcase couple. One freestyle couple. And an additional freestyle round where you have to swap partners within your team. Have it one year in the UK, and the next year in Australia. (The 'Ashes' could be a burnt copy of the Ceroc moves book sealed inside a spare Jive Masters DVD case.)

I gave this a lot of thought some time ago (my mind works like that, don't ask me why:confused: ).

The one difficulty would be if an Australian couple won the UK champs (again:tears: ) or vice versa. Who would represent the UK?

BTW, I have my answer and was just wondering what other people think.

Tiggerbabe
15th-June-2004, 08:37 PM
For instance, if you were to ask which comp was the most friendly I would guess at Scotland*:clap:

*I've never been to the Scottish Champs but The Tramp tells me the natives are very friendly :wink: - I have been to all of the others.

I would say you're right Andy - but with so many Scots making the journey to Blackpool it runs a pretty close second (by the way there'll be even more of us next year :wink: )
And it's not too late to book your ticket for this year's Scottish Comp :hug:

I voted for the Ceroc comp as the one Adrian and Louise would be best doing - as it has an Open category, and also people in Australia will (I'm guessing) recognise it as being similar to their own competitions.
For a great weekend competition, superb venue, fantastic crowd and fun parties - I would say come to Blackpool, plus they could do the aerials comp too :wink:
Or get them to come to Scotland - they'll have a great time :clap: :clap:

Gary
16th-June-2004, 01:04 AM
If you want to say you competed with the best and won - I would say CerocAustralia November comps is where the top dancers go to get a fair crack and is seen as the biggest and most open champs ...

I'd believe that the Ceroc Australia comp is the biggest, but I don't understand what makes it any more open than any of the others? So far as I know everyone is welcome to compete in any of the comps in Australia (unless I'm missing something?).

Gary
16th-June-2004, 01:16 AM
65% say blackpool. Next closest is 25%. I would say that answers the question.

Now to go off topic (this thread has been the longest on-topic thread this year!)

That sounds very cool, but how would you select the couples?

Actually, you've got me thinking now that it would be cool to occasionally have a competition somewhere that Aus/NZ folk and UK folk can both get to reasonably easily. I believe Singapore would be relatively cheap to get to from UK and Aus/NZ. Alternatively we could all head to somewhere like Los Angeles which I think is roughly equal flight time for Aus/NZ and UK (possibly time it to coincide with one of their fantastic swing competitions?).

I guess I'm just dreaming (who would be crazy enough to organise something like that?) but it'd be pretty cool.

bigdjiver
16th-June-2004, 02:18 AM
The centenarians.

I am quite willing to wait as long as it takes for someone to start one.

under par
16th-June-2004, 07:43 AM
Actually, you've got me thinking now that it would be cool to occasionally have a competition somewhere that Aus/NZ folk and UK folk can both get to reasonably easily. I believe Singapore would be relatively cheap to get to from UK and Aus/NZ. Alternatively we could all head to somewhere like Los Angeles which

I could do with a holiday and some sunshine :yeah:

Never been to Singapore......have been to L.A. so my vote goes to the former

cerocmetro
17th-June-2004, 12:34 AM
I guess I'm just dreaming (who would be crazy enough to organise something like that?)

:whistle: :waycool:

Now isn't it funny you should bring this up.

Adam

Gary
17th-June-2004, 12:46 AM

You'd better not be teasing :angry:

Are you serious? Where/when are you thinking about? Big-time respect if you pull something like that off :worthy:

under par
17th-June-2004, 12:48 AM

Adam

Have you got some plans Adam now you're hangover has gone! :whistle: :flower: :yeah:

cerocmetro
17th-June-2004, 12:53 AM
Have you got some plans Adam now you're hangover has gone! :whistle: :flower: :yeah:

Meoow. :D

We are moving to NZ in November and Mandys parents live in Singapore. We have been talking to some people over there about classes but up to now had not thought of a competition there for both hemispheres. We had thought of Miami where we found some great venues whilst there on the dance and Cruise trips.

I think Singapore would be great and Lliy knows that we have been making the right noises. Time will tell if we are able to pull it off, but I feel we have to at least try. :eek:

Adam

under par
17th-June-2004, 01:03 AM

We are moving to NZ in November and Mandys parents live in Singapore. We have been talking to some people over there about classes but up to now had not thought of a competition there for both hemispheres. We had thought of Miami where we found some great venues whilst there on the dance and Cruise trips.

I think Singapore would be great and Lliy knows that we have been making the right noises. Time will tell if we are able to pull it off, but I feel we have to at least try. :eek:

Adam

Really enjoyed the first cruise Adam, hope the move goes well. I hope that you can organise something though I think it will be very difficult. I know how difficult it is organising something in a village never mind over 3 continents. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

*trying to be amusing mode * ON
try drinking lots of water and some Resolve.
* * OFF :clap:

LilyB
17th-June-2004, 01:26 AM

Adam

Hey - I'll help with the Singapore bit! In fact, I'll help with the Miami bit too - I do know that city (& south-east Florida) pretty well. Just as long as someone pays my airfare .... :whistle:

LilyB

Minnie M
17th-June-2004, 07:16 AM
.......... We had thought of Miami where we found some great venues whilst there on the dance and Cruise trips....I think Singapore would be great ..................

hail oh mighty one :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Will
17th-June-2004, 10:14 AM
Singapore is such a beautiful city!

It would be fantastic to have the "World Championships" there. (as well as giving the locals a chance to purchase themselves copies of the JiveMasters 2003 video!)

Lily, do you know any suitable venues for this kind of thing in Singapore? (Air-Con is a must for us Brits ok!)

cerocmetro
17th-June-2004, 10:20 AM
Singapore is such a beautiful city!
giving the locals a chance to purchase themselves copies of the JiveMasters 2003 video!)

Lily, do you know any suitable venues for this kind of thing in Singapore? (Air-Con is a must for us Brits ok!)

This is a great question Will and one we have already researched at length. We have found that any wall paper pasting table, preferably with a tablecloth on for aesthetics will do and in just about any main street location.

The real problem of course is storage, Jivemaster videos should not be left in bright sunshine for too long.

Adam :whistle:

Gadget
17th-June-2004, 08:01 PM
you know for a min. I was thinking... would a pasting table hold my weight? :rofl:

Bill
18th-June-2004, 01:53 PM
Sorry ... no such thing. Look at the competitors who actualy dance in the main competitions. Even the Jivemasters has key competitiors missing. Some top dancers wont dance in certain competitions because of political issues or previous bad experiences. Its a bit like boxing ... there are three different association ... unless you hold all three champion belts you can't truly be called a Champion. (IMHO) :sick:

So if Fran, Denise and I had won Blackpool last year would we have been 'champs' ????? as we had the Scottish and the Ceroc Champs as well..then came second in Blackpool :sick:

because of that Blackpool is the one I'd like to win. Even though I've been in a few comps now I still find Double Trouble the most difficult event to judge as it's not clear what the weighting is or what judges prefer to see. Seems some like complex moves while others like musical interpretation but what I have noticed over the last 2 years is that some threesomes are adding more and more moves which only really involve two of the three with the third dancer either completely free or simply holding on.

Doesn't seem to be clear how often one member can be 'free' - except for the 8 beat rule or how many moves can be completely choreographed. Still think the 3 girls from Aberdeen should have been placed in both their comps....but then I'm biased :whistle: and the best DT I've seen is still Viktor, Lydia and Mick from about 1999 ? Wonderful stuff :clap:

cerocmetro
18th-June-2004, 02:05 PM
and the best DT I've seen is still Viktor, Lydia and Mick from about 1999 ? Wonderful stuff :clap:

Ooh glad you mentioned that one.

We won the team champs this year :clap: :blush:
A lot of our prep was to spend hours and hours and hours studying what works in competitions. Mick,Vik & Lydia did boring basic moves, made loads of mistakes and didn't do much to interpret the music. Nothing personal guys you know that anyway we discussed it.

The reason they won and would win again with the same act was down to their confidence and their look.

They had the competition beat before they started dancing and I'd like to think that is what we did too this year, as that is what we set out to do.

Their confidence was almost one of arrogance, to match their look I had to grow a Goaty, wear a mask, sunnies make up and rap to hide what lurks underneath. :rofl:

You can learn much of the technique by watching the JiveMasters Video on sale for ONLY £12.50 ceroc@hotmail.com soon to be replaced with JiveMasters 2005 (watch out Will a whole new ball game, you are in it :worthy: )

Adam

Gordon J Pownall
18th-June-2004, 02:10 PM
Apart from running an amazing franchise, being a sailor, cruise ship entertainer, dancer, teacher, golfer, BBQ king, father, husband etc etc etc, :worthy:

Adam has now discovered TIME TRAVEL :clap:

2005 Video eh - I would love to know who wins in 2005 (can you let us know so that we can see if it's worth buying the Vid....(any chance of the lottery numbers as well???) :eek:

cerocmetro
18th-June-2004, 02:21 PM
Apart from running an amazing franchise, being a sailor, cruise ship entertainer, dancer, teacher, golfer, BBQ king, father, husband etc etc etc, :worthy:

Adam has now discovered TIME TRAVEL :clap:

2005 Video eh - I would love to know who wins in 2005 (can you let us know so that we can see if it's worth buying the Vid....(any chance of the lottery numbers as well???) :eek:

Actually you missed celeb :rofl: We have been interviewed by the Mirror that is me, Mandy, my ex wife and her partner. It could be the biggest mistake of my life but hey, lets go out in a storm :cheers:

It will be in next tuesday or the following tuesday. :eek:
:waycool: :waycool:
Just gettng ready for the Paparazzi on the doorstep, oh and I will still remember you all and wont let fame and fortune change my wife, sorry life :devil:

Adam

Minnie M
18th-June-2004, 02:32 PM
... the best DT I've seen is still Viktor, Lydia and Mick from about 1999 ? Wonderful stuff :clap:

I remember that :really: Viktor did the splits (first time I had seen a man doing the splits doing MJ) - the whole routine (if it was a routine) was truly amazing :worthy:

Bill
18th-June-2004, 03:58 PM
Ooh glad you mentioned that one.

Mick,Vik & Lydia did boring basic moves, made loads of mistakes and didn't do much to interpret the music. Nothing personal guys you know that anyway we discussed it.

The reason they won and would win again with the same act was down to their confidence and their look.

Adam

I watched their 'routine' again recently and have to say that I still can't spot many mistakes and the reason it was and is still so good is the ease of switching leads, the fact that they all danced well as leaders and followers and of course they are all superb dancers in their own right. I still remember watching it on the day and like almost everyone there was just gob smacked.

There were very few really complex moves but who needs to be complex when you have style and confidence ?? Isn't that as much to do with competing - and winning - as anything ??????? :wink: