PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Tickets

Dreadful Scathe
10th-June-2004, 11:39 PM
aargh you never get a speeding ticket in your life and then 2 of them come at once. Just got 2 ; one for doing 80 in a 70 and one for doing 42 in a 30 (that was until recently a 60). Well, I say me but we dont know who was driving so me and Fi will split the penalty points and take one ticket each, 'dunno who was driving' is apparantly not a valid excuse - so I suppose you have to throw dice to see who takes the rap...hmm not sure other crimes legally work the same way :)

I know theTramp has been in a similar situation i.e driving safely for the road conditions but still getting fined ........ anyone else got speeding stories ?

Dance Demon
11th-June-2004, 12:24 AM
Not Speeding ,but.......I got fined £60 and 3 penalty points for parking partially on the zig zags at a zebra crossing, in my truck :mad: .....worst thing is the policemen who booked me sat and watched me do it then got me out to give me a telling off, like I was a wee boy :angry: when they could have just asked me to move up a bit. Must admit, I was fortunate not to get arrested for giving them abuse :blush: .......but I think that motorists are an easy target, and that the punishment handed out for motoring offences, is pretty severe compared to other offences, including assaults and theft. Seems like motorists get turned into criminals and are punished severely, while muggers etc get off with community service orders etc..... :angry: :confused:

Gordon J Pownall
11th-June-2004, 12:40 AM
OK - don't let everyone know - this is a little known website... :really:

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/ :clap:

This site tells you everything you need to know about not getting done for speeding.

It is all legal (ish) and above board and has helped me out on 2 occasions.

Hence, I ride an 800cc motorbike, drive two cars (not all at the same time of course) and have done so for some 17 years and have a totally clean driving license. :worthy:

Do read the details though - they comment and advise from experience! :whistle:

Lory
11th-June-2004, 09:00 AM
aargh you never get a speeding ticket in your life and then 2 of them come at once.
I had exactly the same thing happen to me, I've had a clean licence for over 20 years, then I was done twice within a month last year! :angry: On one occasion, I was on the A1 at 2am, absolutely NOTHING else on the 3 lanes and I got done for doing 56 on a 50mph stretch! I now have 6 points on my licence! :tears:

But the best one was my friend, who has also had a clean licence for 20years, she gone done recently, twice in less than 2mins, on the same stretch of road! :what:

Peter
11th-June-2004, 10:26 AM
It's totally crazy. Soon the roads will be empty cos we will all have 12 points ... Why are the police surprised that the law abiding middle class has turned so sharply against them?

Lynn
11th-June-2004, 12:31 PM
Its a bit annoying when the only time you see police about are speed traps. I have seen 4 on my route to work in the past couple of weeks, and I always try to stick to the speed limits - but have had cars behind me trying to bully me into going faster :angry: (My policy now if car drives right up behind me is to either to change lanes or to drive even slower - not to annoy them but because they would be into the back of me if I had to stop suddenly. They usually get the message and back off.)

ElaineB
11th-June-2004, 12:54 PM
Its a bit annoying when the only time you see police about are speed traps. I have seen 4 on my route to work in the past couple of weeks, and I always try to stick to the speed limits - but have had cars behind me trying to bully me into going faster :angry: (My policy now if car drives right up behind me is to either to change lanes or to drive even slower - not to annoy them but because they would be into the back of me if I had to stop suddenly. They usually get the message and back off.)

Lynn,

My job is Insurance Claims Manager for a Broker and boy, do I get to see a lot of claims (some sad, some really funny!). We advocate 'defensive' driving and you are quite right in changing lanes. If you are hit in the rear it is the other person's fault, but if you are injured, what is the point in being 'legally' correct. (Before Tramp picks me up on this, there are a couple of case Laws, but I won't bore you on this!).

I have to drive in and around Clifton in Bristol (we have narrow roads up here) and most drivers are just blooming arrogant - manners seem to have gone out the window. The up side I suppose is that no-one can go fast enough to get caught by speed cameras. :rofl:

Actually, struck me the other day when I was in the Supermarket - do you ever see trolley rage?? :rofl:

Elaine

TheTramp
11th-June-2004, 01:39 PM
If you are hit in the rear it is the other person's fault, but if you are injured, what is the point in being 'legally' correct. (Before Tramp picks me up on this, there are a couple of case Laws, but I won't bore you on this!).
To be able to sue??? :D

Trampy

ElaineB
11th-June-2004, 02:05 PM
To be able to sue??? :D

Trampy

Get yer own Binghams!! You'll be rich enough one day to pay for it!! :D

Elaine

Gadget
11th-June-2004, 02:53 PM
I have to drive in and around Clifton in Bristol (we have narrow roads up here) and most drivers are just blooming arrogant - manners seem to have gone out the window. The up side I suppose is that no-one can go fast enough to get caught by speed cameras. :rofl:When I moved out of the city (..like Aberdeen is a sprawling motropolis :rofl: ) I was plesantly surprised by the politeness of other road users: I have to exit from a "B class" road onto an "A" road every morning, and people do slow down and let you pull out, or if there is queing traffic, let you pull into it. Something that would seldom happen in town.

Actually, struck me the other day when I was in the Supermarket - do you ever see trolley rage?? :rofl: I think it's an urban myth. However it has struck me on occasion that I am using my "leading" skills on the trolly :blush:

Lynn
11th-June-2004, 03:17 PM
My job is Insurance Claims Manager for a Broker and boy, do I get to see a lot of claims (some sad, some really funny!). We advocate 'defensive' driving and you are quite right in changing lanes. If you are hit in the rear it is the other person's fault, but if you are injured, what is the point in being 'legally' correct.
I used to be a claims handler (domestic, but sat next to motor), but I think my driving approach might be because I only learnt to drive 2 years ago and there is a big emphasis on the test now on being 'hazard aware' - aware of potentially dangerous situations.

I have to drive in and around Clifton in Bristol (we have narrow roads up here) and most drivers are just blooming arrogant - manners seem to have gone out the window. One of things drivers seem to be very courteous about is warning oncoming drivers of a speed trap up ahead!