PDA

View Full Version : Have a Glass of Water...

bigdjiver
10th-June-2004, 12:01 AM
Hmmm, the old, half full, half empty glass senario........

Some people will look at the demo in horror :eek: and think 'I'll never be able to do that', instantly feel intimidated and lose confidence. :sick:

But, the next person may look at the demo in awe and think Wow, :D I'm actually going to be able to do that at the end of this lesson! :clap: I'm of the latter frame of mind, therefore, alway's loved the Demo! And if I fail, I fail! There's always next week!

OK, another suggestion.... have a glass half filled with water. On entrance, ask the punters, half full or half empty? Decide whether or not to do the Demo that evening based on the results! :whistle: :rofl: vodka might work better :devil:

Andy McGregor
10th-June-2004, 02:03 AM
Hmmm, the old, half full, half empty glass senario........

I have often wondered why people go on about this. The answer is very simple. It's a question or two.

Did you take and empty glass and half fill it? If you did it's half full.
Did you take a full glass and half empty it? If you did it's half empty.
If you don't know or won't tell I can't give an exact answer:devil:

Gordon J Pownall
10th-June-2004, 02:18 AM
I have often wondered why people go on about this. The answer is very simple. It's a question or two.

Ok, as a Psychotherapist (yes hard to believe but fully registered as a Consultant with the NHS and two practices....) :what:

A better perspective (and the more lateral one), is that the glass is full of a mixture of air and water. :confused:

Us Psych's love to mess with minds....think about that for a while.... :sick:

Andy McGregor
10th-June-2004, 02:26 AM
Ok, as a Psychotherapist (yes hard to believe but fully registered as a Consultant with the NHS and two practices....) :what:

A better perspective (and the more lateral one), is that the glass is full of a mixture of air and water. :confused:

Us Psych's love to mess with minds....think about that for a while.... :sick:

Of course if you spoke to a philosopher he would dispute the existence of the class and its contents.

And as most matter is space he could be right. The glass is empty if it exists at all.

Gordon J Pownall
10th-June-2004, 02:27 AM
Of course if you spoke to a philosopher he would dispute the existence of the class and its contents.

And as most matter is space he could be right. The glass is empty if it exists at all.

I once went out with a PhD philosophy student.

She said I didn't exist - and then proved it.

I needed a Psych after that!!!! :eek:

Dan
10th-June-2004, 11:21 AM
My usual response to that is to down the contents of the glass (particularly if it is vodka) and to say:

I don't know, but it is now completely empty.

Forte
10th-June-2004, 11:37 AM
My usual response to that is to down the contents of the glass (particularly if it is vodka) and to say:

I don't know, but it is now completely empty.

:rofl: :rofl:

Barry Shnikov
10th-June-2004, 09:27 PM

A man after my own heart! I've been saying for years that this half full/half empty thing is a false dilemma. It's clear that it's the action that determines the status: half way through filling a glass gives one answer, half way through emptying it gives another.

Top man! :waycool:

Barry Shnikov
10th-June-2004, 09:28 PM
I once went out with a PhD philosophy student.

She said I didn't exist - and then proved it.

Well then, stop bothering us existing-type people with your non-existent posts!

:na:

Gordon J Pownall
11th-June-2004, 12:48 AM
Cor...this philosophy stuff is easy - I've just erased Barry Shnikov out of existence..... :what:

cerocmetro
11th-June-2004, 01:13 AM
Ok I think it was Douglas Adams and it had something to do with biros, but translated into glasses,

There are a finite number of glasses in the Universe but and infinite number of h2O molecules to put in them. As everyone knows, divide a finite number by an infinite number and the answer is near as damn it 0 which proves that there are no glasses in the universe and therfore should be the final posting on this thread.

Adam :confused:

Andy McGregor
11th-June-2004, 01:26 AM
Cor...this philosophy stuff is easy - I've just erased Barry Shnikov out of existence..... :what:

But, in the process you've ceased to exist too. Did anyone heat the POP as the air rushed in to fill the space Gordon J Pownall vacated:devil:

Andy McGregor
11th-June-2004, 01:30 AM
Ok I think it was Douglas Adams and it had something to do with biros, but translated into glasses,

There are a finite number of glasses in the Universe but and infinite number of h2O molecules to put in them. As everyone knows, divide a finite number by an infinite number and the answer is near as damn it 0 which proves that there are no glasses in the universe and therfore should be the final posting on this thread.

Adam :confused:

Unfortunately, if I remember my maths, infinity divided by any number is still infinity - or were we into some imaginary number thing, or was that square roots:confused:

..and who cares? We're all dancers here, what do we know about maths? Especially in a glass of water thread?

Lou
11th-June-2004, 09:32 AM
Another Douglas Adams quote I always liked:

Ford: "You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water."