PDA

View Full Version : Alter egos

bigdjiver
8th-June-2004, 08:48 AM
Gus posts sometimes as Gus, sometimes as ODA. It is more work for the form organisers, but should some official alter egos be allowed?

Reason for asking: I was thinking of seeking an alter-ego of Professor Hieronymus Kook for a bit of fun, but realised I could get around it by inventing a fictitious friend (are all my friends fictitious? :Hmm: )

I can see a case for Gus and ODA, and a case for employees of organisations who want to sometimes participate in disguise.

Opinions?

Gadget
8th-June-2004, 09:10 AM
Gus posts sometimes as Gus, sometimes as ODA. It is more work for the form organisers, but should some official alter egos be allowed?I don't think so. Why would you want to post as someone else? The only reason would be to create mischief (as has been done before).

If individuals wished to post on behalf of a group they belong to (eg CerocMetro) then they make it clear that they are posting for them - this serves to inform people that you have a vested interest in your posting and lends the poster's weight behind the organisation.

People posting ODA posts or views to provoke discussion will make it clear in their posting - if an alter-ego is involved, you could end up reading a two-way conversation between the same person and having both 'gang up' for/against certain views. IMHO that way leads to deception, deceit and dastardly doings. {twirl moustache and wiggle eyebrows} I prefer the forum open and honest.

Andy McGregor
8th-June-2004, 09:21 AM
I can see a case for Gus and ODA, and a case for employees of organisations who want to sometimes participate in disguise.

I thought Gus just posted as himself. He just goes :O.D.A. Mode: when he's being particularly devilish.

Emma
8th-June-2004, 09:27 AM
twirl moustache and wiggle eyebrows}Gadget, is your alter ego Groucho Marx?! :wink:

ChrisA
8th-June-2004, 09:27 AM
I prefer the forum open and honest.
........... :yeah:

For once, Gadget and I agree. Don't blink, folks, it's almost as frequent as a transit of Venus :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
8th-June-2004, 09:29 AM
People posting ODA posts or views to provoke discussion will make it clear in their posting - if an alter-ego is involved, you could end up reading a two-way conversation between the same person and having both 'gang up' for/against certain views. IMHO that way leads to deception, deceit and dastardly doings. {twirl moustache and wiggle eyebrows} I prefer the forum open and honest.

Not all posts are going to be open and honest or a reflection of the individual who is posting! People treat the forum with varying degrees of seriousness - i can hardly be accused of posting only serious comments but do you really think I am that superficial in real life. Yes, you're right, of course I am :D.

Also, I think in Gus's case he always posted posts to start discussion but too often his posts would be taken as personal opinion, thus started the ODA title and then the extra <oda> tags he added when some people still didn't 'get it'. So its not true that all posts are 'clear' in the fact that they are personal / political or deliberately controversial, it depends on who writes it and how the person reading it takes it!

Dreadful Scathe
8th-June-2004, 09:32 AM
Gadget, is your alter ego Groucho Marx?! :wink:
I resent the implication that Groucho Marx was a moustache twirler - I think you'll find the infamous 'Terry Thomas' is your culprit.

Emma
8th-June-2004, 09:36 AM
That's a good point Mr S - Groucho might have smeared had he attempted a twirl :blush: I stand corrected. (Though I still think Gadget would make a good Groucho ;) )

Andy McGregor
8th-June-2004, 09:43 AM
People treat the forum with varying degrees of seriousness

As someone who treats the forum with a degree of serious ranging from Life/death issues to the frivilous Department of Wiggling and Hollow Tree I like the idea of an Alter Ego. It would be so much easier for people to know when I'm joking and when I'm serious.

Of course, I could be joking when I express the above view:wink:

Emma
8th-June-2004, 09:50 AM
Speaking as someone who has in the past had multiple alter egos in a chat environment (waaaay pre the forum!! :blush: ), they become very difficult to keep up - mainly because once other people (inevitably) work out that the different personalities are all 'you' then they tend to treat them all as the same individual, whether you do or not. :grin:

Lory
8th-June-2004, 10:09 AM
I have various alta egos, in real life, I often hear friends say, Oh take no notice, she's 'pre-menstral' today, or thats 'drink' talking! :rofl:

Gadget
8th-June-2004, 12:54 PM
Not all posts are going to be open and honest or a reflection of the individual who is posting!...And not every face-to-face conversation is open or honest or a true reflection of the individual. Do you project the same persona to the bank manager as to your friends down the pub?

So its not true that all posts are 'clear' in the fact that they are personal / political or deliberately controversial, it depends on who writes it and how the person reading it takes it!... and everything you type reflects on you - no matter how people take it: If you choose the wrong words or say the wrong thing or are ambiguous, you have a chance to justify, retract, appologise or expand on your views. {I've also heard that you could even change your mind, :what: but that may be a myth.} If the reader has strong views, they are aired - that's sort of the point, isn't it?

(Though I still think Gadget would make a good Groucho ;) )don't have the eyebrows for it... or the wit. Although I can do the walk. I think I'd make a much better Terry Thomas.:D