PDA

View Full Version : The Drops Meister Strikes Back

Gus
7th-June-2004, 01:14 PM
As I sit here at work barely able to move I feel it is incumbent upon me to heap praises upon the guy who is responsible for my agony.

On Saturday, myself and a group of dancers from the North West had the pleasure of a 2 hour [b]Peter Phillips[b] Advanced Drops workshop. Can't remember the last time I've had to work so hard, mentally and physically. Very rewarding experience, and he was beuatifully assisted (in every sense of the word) by his wonderfull demonstrator (sorry, forgot her name:tears: )

Excelent feedback on the session and all are looking to do another one.

So, LL ... CHEERS MATE:clap:

Lounge Lizard
7th-June-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi her name is Evelyne and we both had a fantastic time.

Just think if it had been the full 5 hours!!!!
[we pace it out a bit for 5 hours tho]

We have three sets of workshops we teach
Drops and seducers
Awesome Foursome
latin Jive (which also crosses over to blues dancing)

We are hoping to get more bookings and cant think of a better way to kick things off than with the Northwich dancers.
thanks
Peter

Gus
7th-June-2004, 09:27 PM
One thing I feel compelled to mention is Pete's 'Do's and Don't' guide for drops. This listing should be compulsory reading for all MJers. If you are a franchisee you could do a lot worse than to get permission from Pete to issue the list with your handouts. A lot of people really should follow these rules.

Bigger Andy
8th-June-2004, 12:57 PM
We have three sets of workshops we teach
Drops and seducers
Awesome Foursome
latin Jive (which also crosses over to blues dancing)

I attended Peter's Latin Jive workshop at 'Jive Hive' in Canterbury, Kent back on 7th June last year. It was excellent ! I would reccomend it to anyone.
:clap:

One thing I feel compelled to mention is Pete's 'Do's and Don't' guide for drops. This listing should be compulsory reading for all MJers. If you are a franchisee you could do a lot worse than to get permission from Pete to issue the list with your handouts. A lot of people really should follow these rules.
:yeah:
Couldn't agree more !

DavidY
8th-June-2004, 01:05 PM
One thing I feel compelled to mention is Pete's 'Do's and Don't' guide for drops. This listing should be compulsory reading for all MJers. If you are a franchisee you could do a lot worse than to get permission from Pete to issue the list with your handouts. A lot of people really should follow these rules.Is this something that could be (or maybe has already been) published on the forum?

David Franklin
8th-June-2004, 01:09 PM
Is this something that could be (or maybe has already been) published on the forum?GIYF (Google is your friend):

http://www.thethirdrow.co.uk/About%20dance/Peter%20phillips/peter_phillips.htm

Dave

Lounge Lizard
8th-June-2004, 03:02 PM
Dance-floor tips for Drops and Seducers

Pease read and help keep our social dance floor safe

For the Guys
1 Always Ask your partner if they're ok with drops, seducers, lifts etc. (Before you try them!)
2 Always Listen to your partner and respect her wishes
3 Always Avoid moves that twist, bend or pull on your partners back (Check First)
4 Always Protect your ladies head if you are tipping her back on a crowded floor
5 Always Keep your back straight and strong throughout the move

6 Do Make sure your partner hears & understands your verbal signals.
7 Do Warm up before you attempt these moves
8 Do Keep the move simple, stylish, gentle and safe
9 Do Tell you partner if you are going to lead her into a drop (especially advanced moves)
10 Do Make sure your partner knows and is happy with the move
11 Do Try to lead your partner into a clear space. Don’t send her crashing into other dancers.
12 Do Be aware (& beware) of the other dancers around you. Keep it close on a busy floor.
13 Do Learn the move with a regular partner before you practice on a stranger
14 Do Attend classes & workshops to learn drops, seducers, lifts etc. properly
15 Do Use simple moves until you are comfortable with your partner & she with you.
16 Do Tell you partner clearly if you do or don’t dance these type of moves
17 Do Tell your partner if it feels wrong or hurts your muscles, back etc.
18 Do Maintain a steady and strong stance throughout the move
19 Do Keep the move within your centre of gravity. (If you don’t understand this ask).
20 Do Remember these moves require close contact. Dry shirts, deodorant etc are a MUST.

21 Never Do airsteps or floor level drops on a busy dance floor
22 Never Lead a move that causes the ladies head to whiplash.
23 Never Never crunch or impact the ladies back or head on to your knee (or the floor etc.)
24 Never Lower the ladies head below your waist level on a crowded dance floor
25 Never Try moves beyond your (or your partners) ability or physical limitations

26 Don’t Try advanced moves with beginners. This does not impress anyone!!!
27 Don’t Copy the guy next to you. His moves probably look great because he practices!
28 Don’t Assume it's ok. Some ladies only do these moves with selected partners - respect this.
29 Don’t Rely on strength, there is no substitute for skill, technique and ability.
30 Don’t Assume it is ok to dance these moves. Your partner may be suffering from a recent injury.

For the Girls
1 Always Tell you partner clearly if you do or don’t dance drops, seducers, lifts etc.
2 Always Make sure your partner hears & understands your requests.
3 Always Try to support your own weight (on the leg nearest to your partner if possible).
4 Always Tell your partner if it feels wrong or hurts your muscles, back etc.

5 Do Tell your partner if you have not warmed up or are not ready for drops etc.
6 Do Make sure (whenever possible), your partner knows and is happy with the move.
7 Do Attend classes & workshops to learn the move(s) properly
8 Do Be aware (and beware) of the other dancers around you
9 Do Try to avoid crashing into other dancers - keep it close on a crowded floor.
10 Do Tell him if you don't hear or understand his signals. If in doubt let go (before the drop!)
11 Do Try to hold onto something firm (behave, this is serious), but not his neck

12 Never Anticipate the move. If the guy cant lead it he should not be dancing it
13 Never Dance any move, at any time, with anybody if you feel at risk or if it hurts.
14 Never Throw your head back. It's the first thing that hit's the floor in a fall + risk of whiplash
15 Never Never throw yourself into a move - allow your partner to gently lead the move.

16 Don't Try moves beyond your (or your partners) ability or physical limitations
17 Don't Trust a man. (I'm referring to when you are on the dance floor!). But……………
18 Don't Be afraid to say no if you consider a move (or a dancer) unsafe.
19 Don't Assume it is always ok to dance these moves. He may be suffering from a recent injury.
20 Don't Lean your body-weight away from the man. Try to keep arms & legs in close to your body.

Tell the organiser if there is a 'menace' on the dance floor - Organisers deal with the menace!

This has been prepared by Peter Phillips, The advise is given free and it's sole intention is to make the social dance floor safer for all and increase our enjoyment of modern jive in all it's genre's. Please don’t be a Menace

For further information on Drops and seducers, or if you would like copies of this leaflet for your venue
Please contact peter on: - dropinnjive@btinternet.com - 01323 760700 - 07767358079.

Peter is a leading teachers of Drops and Seducers, and frequently holds workshops, for intermediate & advanced moves throughout the country, or can offer an evening class for safe dancefloor dips as a guest teacher at any midweek class.