PDA

View Full Version : The Ponytail Thing

Zuhal
7th-June-2004, 09:37 AM
Dancing with a MJ legend at the week end I was pleasantly ponytailed. Like all events on the dance floor, if you are aware, lead into it and therefore see it coming, it can be amusing.

Any contrary opinions?

Stuart M
7th-June-2004, 11:03 AM
Used to be an excellent dancer called Yvette in Glasgow, who had a pleated waist-length ponytail. It was a great way of reminding me not to put the lady into too many spins. We always had a laugh though.

Nowadays I only have problems with Jane's earring. :rofl:

foxylady
7th-June-2004, 11:11 AM
Despite not being male, I don't really like being pontailed by long fly away ones, especially when they catch you in the eye when you're both being spun by your respective partners....

just as an aside, I love pony tails on men :drool: ! (but have the same dancefloor issues with them)

Andy McGregor
7th-June-2004, 11:41 AM
A pony tail is practical when dancing. Last night at Godalming Ceroc I was reminded of this. I was dancing with a lady with lovely, long dark hair which was hanging loose like the best shampoo commercials. Her hair looked stunning - until we started dancing: after that we had problems, it was hard to find her face after spins and her hair kept joining in with our hands, bringing moves to an abrupt halt in a hair/arms/hands birds nest.

Pony tails are never a problem, Lily has hair down to her..
... :blush: a long way down her back:wink: and I've never had a problem with her pony tail.

One plea though. Girls, if you're going to tie your hair up can you avoid those metal things that look like a crocodiles jaws - they keep biting me:tears:

Bill
7th-June-2004, 12:59 PM
On most girls a pony tail is fine but depends on the volume of hair. we had a young woman in Aberdeen a few years ago who had thick and long hair. When in a plait it was lethal and when spinning it was advisable to stand well back :sick:

When the hair is long and quite fine then it doesn't carry the same weight so is less of a hazard. Have found the same problem as Andy with some women who have long hair which isn't tied back. Can make dancing a bit of a problem. :D

Gordon J Pownall
7th-June-2004, 01:43 PM
An Alternative opinion.....

double your pleasure - double your fun, :devil:

Girls, could you wear your hair in bunches ??? Please..... :flower:

Sorry - still got an Emma Bunton thing goin on..... :blush:

I might grow out of it...... :whistle:

Lory
7th-June-2004, 03:59 PM
Well, I've tried it all ways! And you definitely can't please everyone all the time! :whistle: :rofl:

My hair's fairly long and it sometimes even gets on MY nerves when it's hot BUT on the few occasions I've worn it in a ponytail, I've nearly blinded men! So I've been told!

It all depends on the height ratio... a swift whip round the neck or on the chest, generally seems to get the all clear, even a WOW I LIKE THAT! and on those occasions I've ended up dizzy by the end of the dance! :rofl: BUT if you get a short man, its not so well received, a full on slap straight across the eyes :what:

I once tried it in a nice soft pleat, it looked nice for about 5 minutes, the pins started to fire out of my head like machine gun! And I was reduced to the 'not tonight Josephine' look for the rest of the night!

Then there's the 'ballet bun' tight back off the face, slick with gel, enough pins to pick up radio Luxembourg! Great until u want to take it down......Ouch! :tears:

Plaits, they're OK for comfort and cute! (on a teenager! :( ) My hair looks OK in them, shame my face doesn't match anymore! :sad:

So, I just tend to wear my hair down and take all the mixed responses that go with it,

I've had people say they love it, even when they get their fingers stuck in it, I've had disgruntled tuts and I've even had men pull it on purpose! :wink:
One grumpy old man said, You really need to DO something with your hair when you come dancing! I politely asked, what do you suggest? he curtly replyed....CUT IT OFF! :what:

But the best hair moments truly outweigh the others 10fold....When my little boy was a baby (now 13) he would gently play with my hair to get him self off to sleep! Ahhhhhh, fond memories! :nice:

ChrisA
7th-June-2004, 04:20 PM
I've had disgruntled tuts and I've even had men pull it on purpose!
:mad:

Think of it as evolution in action, Lory. :whistle:

You'd want to encourage the dancers that are sufficiently well coordinated to be able to smoothly avoid any distress either to or from the hair, wouldn't you?

And discourage the ones that can't ?? :devil: :devil:

Your hair is great. Ignore anyone that that doesn't think so. :flower: :flower:

Divissima
7th-June-2004, 04:26 PM
I must admit that the breakthrough stage of my hair-growing was when I could 'lash' my partner with my ponytail. This has only just become possible (unless they were standing waaaaay too close :wink: )

But it is a bit of a problem for men of a certain height and I am already looking into alternative options. I have found that the concertina band (looks like a comb and stretches all the way around your head to fasten under the hair at the back) is cheap (coupla squids from Claire's Accessories) and does a great job at keeping hair off my face, and off my neck, but allows it to hang loose to get the full effect of the 'big hair' when dancing, and to avoid pony-tail lashing my partner. Have you tried one of these, Lory?? It was a breakthrough for me, I must say.

ChrisA
7th-June-2004, 04:31 PM
and to avoid pony-tail lashing my partner.
Oh come on girls, if a guy can't even time a blink to avoid any trouble... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dance with me instead :devil: :flower:

DavidB
7th-June-2004, 06:30 PM
concertina band (looks like a comb and stretches all the way around your head to fasten under the hair at the back)You were getting Franck all excited then - he thought there was a new variation on the comb that he had not done.

(But the more I think about it, he probably has a move called the 'concertina band', along with half a dozen variations on it.)

spindr
7th-June-2004, 06:49 PM
But the more I think about it, he probably has a move called the 'concertina band'

Is that not just a lot of accordions (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/Accordion.html) all at the same time?

SpinDr.

I saw a peanut stand,
Heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an elephant fly.

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2004, 07:05 PM
- he thought there was a new variation on the comb that he had not done.
:rofl: Ha, ha, ha, ha - good idea for a competition at the BFG though - how many different combs can you fit into one dance? :wink:

Lory
7th-June-2004, 07:12 PM
Have you tried one of these, Lory??
I'm wondering if it's one of those plastic 'zig zaggy' things with very sharp teeth, that if you don't get it 'in' right first time, rips half your hair out, trying to reposition it? :whistle: If yes, then I've tried it! :rolleyes: I think it's designed for people with layered hair then it wouldn't tangle as much! :cool:

Emma
7th-June-2004, 07:12 PM
:rofl: Ha, ha, ha, ha - good idea for a competition at the BFG though - how many different combs can you fit into one dance? :wink:Hee Hee Mr Hancock was doing that very thing in Perth with me the other week!

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2004, 07:50 PM
Mr Hancock - comb - same sentence - nah! :wink:

Emma
7th-June-2004, 08:37 PM
Mr Hancock - comb - same sentence - nah! :wink:He'd parted it differently that night - didn't you notice?? :what: :grin:

Tiggerbabe
7th-June-2004, 10:42 PM
He'd parted it differently that night - didn't you notice?? :what: :grin:
:blush: Nope!

Divissima
8th-June-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm wondering if it's one of those plastic 'zig zaggy' things with very sharp teeth, that if you don't get it 'in' right first time, rips half your hair out, trying to reposition it? If yes, then I've tried it! I think it's designed for people with layered hair then it wouldn't tangle as much! That's the one. If positioned incorrectly it can be a bit nasty to remove/adjust :sad: I find my hair tangles anyway at dancing, no way around it :tears:

drathzel
6th-September-2004, 07:59 PM
i love having long hair but i hate it getting in my way when i am dancing and no one is safe!!!

Sparkles
6th-September-2004, 10:43 PM
The WORST thing someone with long hair can do is put it in a ponytail and plait it - it's dangerous!
As someone who has long hair, and likes it that way, I've experienced all sorts in the same veins Lory describes - and I've even had men lead me into moves using my ponytail cos they think it's funny - ouch! :mad:
Does anyone else who uses a ponytail to keep their hair tidy and stop them getting hot have the problem that if they make it too high it whips into peoples' eyes and if it's too low it whips around your own throat and strangles you?
Think I might go back to my ballroom bun :( - it's horrible for me, but easier on the people I dance with...
... I've lost count of the number of times I've felt the need to apologise for my ponytail whipping someone in the face - curiously though, some men seem to like it :whistle: :wink:

drathzel
6th-September-2004, 10:47 PM
Does anyone else who uses a ponytail to keep their hair tidy and stop them getting hot have the problem that if they make it too high it whips into peoples' eyes and if it's too low it whips around your own throat and strangles you?
Think I might go back to my ballroom bun :( - it's horrible for me, but easier on the people I dance with...
... I've lost count of the number of times I've felt the need to apologise for my ponytail whipping someone in the face - curiously though, some men seem to like it :whistle: :wink:

here here!!! I totally agree!!! :yeah:

MartinHarper
6th-September-2004, 11:18 PM
I was wondering about tying something to the end of my ponytail to weigh it down a little - but that runs the risk of going into a spin and scoring a win by knockout, which I think is a different sport...
I wonder, though, about putting something a few inches down from the top. Then it'd help weigh things down, but would be close enough to my head to avoid concussing anyone. I'm a bit scared to try it, though - I can hear myself repeating that justification to a judge! :)

Zebra Woman
7th-September-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm a lady without a ponytail....But I enjoy the feeling of other ladies ponytails brushing against me while they dance nearby. (Especially Lily's and Lory's) :worthy:

There isn't a box for that ? :confused:

Pammy
7th-September-2004, 10:27 AM
I am a lady with a big ponytail who hasn't even considered what happens to it when dancing. Sorry everyone!!! :blush:

Sparkles
7th-September-2004, 10:33 AM
I was wondering about tying something to the end of my ponytail to weigh it down a little - but that runs the risk of going into a spin and scoring a win by knockout, which I think is a different sport...
I wonder, though, about putting something a few inches down from the top. Then it'd help weigh things down, but would be close enough to my head to avoid concussing anyone. I'm a bit scared to try it, though - I can hear myself repeating that justification to a judge! :)
It's a bad idea - been there done it, seen the scars... :tears:
the problem is that you think it will wiegh it down, when in fact all it does is make it heavier and therefore more lethal when you spin.
The only solution I've yet found is to tuck the end of the ponytail up into the band you're tying it back with, which really doesn't look very attractive at all IMO :(

baldrick
7th-September-2004, 10:51 AM
Ladies, let you hair/ponytails fly. Some of us love it. It's an art form staying untangled, don't spoil the fun :yum:

Rhythm King
7th-September-2004, 12:22 PM
I was not a fan of being pony-tailed however...
Last Friday I was dancing with one of my absolute favourite partners. Whilst dancing and chatting (I might only be a chap, but even I can manage simple multi-tasking :wink: ) I became aware of a lovely fragrance wafting from my partner. I ascertained this was from her hair and complimented her on it. On her next spin, she very gently and sensuously (and unexpectedly) flicked said hair over my face - it was fab! :drool:

R-K x

Lory
7th-September-2004, 12:47 PM
I became aware of a lovely fragrance wafting from my partner. I ascertained this was from her hair and complimented her on it. On her next spin, she very gently and sensuously (and unexpectedly) flicked said hair over my face - it was fab! :drool:

R-K x
Oooh Lovely R-k! :yum:

On Friday, I was dancing with, the guy in 'the Hat' (I think he's name is John?) cooool dancer :worthy: Anyway, mid dance, he commented that he kept getting lovely wiffs of my shampoo! :wink: :na:

Gordon J Pownall
7th-September-2004, 01:19 PM
Bunches please - can we have more about bunches....

Still got the Emma Bunton thing goin on...... :flower: :flower: :flower:

Gojive
7th-September-2004, 01:31 PM

OK Gordon....yes you do look ok in your bunches :wink:

drathzel
7th-September-2004, 01:36 PM
OK Gordon....yes you do look ok in your bunches :wink:

i never thought of bunches... although i already look exceedingly young for my age so maybe not :whistle:

baldrick
7th-September-2004, 01:41 PM

Might have to modify thing though the night, fraid I don't think bunches look at all good. :eek:

drathzel
7th-September-2004, 01:45 PM
Might have to modify thing though the night, fraid I don't think bunches look at all good. :eek:

excuse me i was adorable in bunches... at the age of 2

Pammy
7th-September-2004, 04:10 PM

There I was thinking bunches was part of the standard BFG dress code - that's what Andy said anyway :blush:

philsmove
7th-September-2004, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Gordon J Pownall]Bunches please - can we have more about bunches....

Last sat at a Leroc “Greased lightening” dance many of ladies did indeed wear bunches and full, pink skirts and bobby socks. Lets get back to the 50s :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sparkles
8th-September-2004, 01:28 AM

You know, if you ever show up somewhere so I can dance with you I'll put my hair in bunches especially!
(you will, of course, have to be more specific about the type of bunches you want...)

There I was thinking bunches was part of the standard BFG dress code - that's what Andy said anyway :blush:

I wish, Andy, you would inform everyone of these things ( :wink: ) otherwise how were we supposed to know ( :wink: :wink: ) :rofl:
Thanks for the tip, Pammy, will pack extra hair bands now I know :flower:

Yliander
8th-September-2004, 05:00 AM
Just went to vote but no option for ladies with long thick hair who don't wear ponytails :what:

am not allowed to :tears: not allowed to wear plaits either they have been forbidden since causing partner to bleed :blush: plaits being the worst as guy not only gets hit with hair but tie on end of plait :eek:

have found that tying back part of hair works well - as it gets it out of my face but doesn't create a lethal weapon when I spin and i get to have long flowy-ish hair

drathzel
8th-September-2004, 08:32 AM
well i wore my hair down for the first part of the night then i wore my hair up in a bun type thing.....so i think thats the best bet as ponytails can be lethal :whistle:

Yliander
8th-September-2004, 08:56 AM
well i wore my hair down for the first part of the night then i wore my hair up in a bun type thing.....so i think thats the best bet as ponytails can be lethal :whistle:

wish I could wear my hair in a bun :sad: - tried it once but 3 spins later the 1000 plus pins it went flying and not just my dance partner was in danger :eek:

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 01:55 PM
You know, if you ever show up somewhere so I can dance with you I'll put my hair in bunches especially!
(you will, of course, have to be more specific about the type of bunches you want...)

Well, it is the MiniMasters at The David Lloyd Club, Chigwell this Sunday....I'll be teaching and dancing later.....

www.cerocmetro.com for a map by the way...... :whistle:

drathzel
8th-September-2004, 06:07 PM
wish I could wear my hair in a bun :sad: - tried it once but 3 spins later the 1000 plus pins it went flying and not just my dance partner was in danger :eek:

Yeah but by that stage of the night my hair was lovely and damp from dancing so much that it stayed in place!!! not a pleasant thought tho :confused:

Sal
9th-September-2004, 01:50 PM
On most girls a pony tail is fine but depends on the volume of hair. we had a young woman in Aberdeen a few years ago who had thick and long hair. When in a plait it was lethal and when spinning it was advisable to stand well back :sick:

When the hair is long and quite fine then it doesn't carry the same weight so is less of a hazard. Have found the same problem as Andy with some women who have long hair which isn't tied back. Can make dancing a bit of a problem. :D

Is it too late to apologise to all the males that I maimed?!? :blush: I had my hair cut nearly a year ago (over a foot removed!) and only one man has commented that he would like to see it back. I think all the females in Aberdeen were quite pleased too, as everyone tended to get hit!

Gadget
9th-September-2004, 02:16 PM
Is it too late to apologise to all the males that I maimed?!? :blush: I had my hair cut nearly a year ago (over a foot removed!) and only one man has commented that he would like to see it back. I think all the females in Aberdeen were quite pleased too, as everyone tended to get hit!
:D it was just a challenge to duck in time, or dance with eyes closed. And even then, it's only a problem for dancers like you who use 'spotting' - that head whip sure sends hair flying :) It does mean I lead more rappid or multiple spins than I used to be able to do with you... is tht a good or bad thing?

{Actually it's me who should :blush: - I only noticed properly about two weeks later...after having danced with you :sick::blush:}

drathzel
10th-September-2004, 08:30 AM
: or dance with eyes closed.

I have found myself doing that.... although not on purpose.... half the time i can't see where i am going anyway due to dizzyness so why would it be anydifferent i suppose :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
10th-September-2004, 08:42 AM
Is it too late to apologise to all the males that I maimed?!? :blush:
:rofl: :rofl: It was definitely when it was in a plait that I danced at the other side of the room Sal :wink: :whistle: :kiss:

Sal
10th-September-2004, 12:06 PM
:rofl: :rofl: It was definitely when it was in a plait that I danced at the other side of the room Sal :wink: :whistle: :kiss:

Weapons of Mass Distruction? I could take out a whole room! Unfortunately now I have had the UN in, I can only hit myself!

drathzel
11th-September-2004, 05:17 PM
someone was at gu on wed night and was wearing bunches... it made me think of this thread and if they had been on it... if it was you...own up...oh and say hi next week :grin: :flower: :hug:

Shona
14th-September-2004, 02:10 PM
Do any of the other females (or males, not wanting to be sexist??!) have a problem with their hair being in a ponytail? :confused:
I'm 5'9" and often get hit on the head when guys try to spin me. :sad: Whether they're being lazy not raising their arms, or I'm not ducking in time is another issue, :devil: but I find that my nice ponytail never looks the same after dancing!!! So I always now wear my hair down. Am I the only one??
Shona x.

Pammy
14th-September-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm 5'9" and often get hit on the head when guys try to spin me. :sad:

Snap, so no, you're not. It's ok when it's once in a dance as they "size you up" so to speak, but sometimes it happens repeatedly and by the end of the dance your ponytail's come out as it's been bashed so many times :mad:

Guess we need to get leg shortenings Shona :blush:

Tall Pamster
x

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 02:21 PM
Do any of the other females (or males, not wanting to be sexist??!) have a problem with their hair being in a ponytail? :confused:
I'm 5'9" and often get hit on the head when guys try to spin me. :sad: Whether they're being lazy not raising their arms, or I'm not ducking in time is another issue,

When I first started learning to follow I'd often get bashed on the head - although I'm only 5'7" and short (but perfectly formed) for a guy (but exactly the right height for a male dancer :wink: ), I'm tallish for a woman. I worked out that it's up to the follower to be in charge of their headroom. If you're being banged on the head just hold your hand a bit higher in the spins and everything goes much more smoothly.

Pammy
14th-September-2004, 02:40 PM
short (but perfectly formed) for a guy...

I read that as forged the first time :wink:

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 05:15 PM
I read that as forged the first time :wink:

That's because of all the bangs on the head :whistle:

latinlover
14th-September-2004, 05:29 PM
When I first started learning to follow I'd often get bashed on the head - although I'm only 5'7" and short (but perfectly formed) for a guy (but exactly the right height for a male dancer :wink: ), I'm tallish for a woman. I worked out that it's up to the follower to be in charge of their headroom. If you're being banged on the head just hold your hand a bit higher in the spins and everything goes much more smoothly.

:yeah:
i have recently come to this conclusion too. there are some ladies I dance with and I often hit their head , whether they are tall or short, and with others it never happens
my wife says it's me being lazy but I don't agree
of course, being the charmer I am :wink: I always apologise for the mistake

Back on thread though, I just LOVE to be ponytailed!! :drool:

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 03:02 AM
I'm 5'9" and often get hit on the head when guys try to spin me. :sad: Whether they're being lazy not raising their arms, or I'm not ducking in time is another issue, :devil: but I find that my nice ponytail never looks the same after dancing!!! So I always now wear my hair down. Am I the only one??
Shona x.

Hey

I am really short and i got hit over the head several times tonight! I think its all about judging the different heights. Especially if the girl he has danced with before was shorted/taller! Am i right? I would like a guys oppinion! :confused:

RobC
15th-September-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey

I am really short and i got hit over the head several times tonight! I think its all about judging the different heights. Especially if the girl he has danced with before was shorted/taller! Am i right? I would like a guys oppinion! :confused:
I think this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but personally, while a lot of it has to do with the guys judging the ladies height correctly, I do think that is also has a small part to do with the ladies maintaining sufficient tension in their arm. If the guy is leading their partner into a spin or turn under the arm (ie. catapult) the lady should still be maintaining contact with their partners hand, not letting their arm go limp and floppy. That way, they are in a better position to ensure that they can take their own hand high enough to clear their head.

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 10:08 AM
I think this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but personally, while a lot of it has to do with the guys judging the ladies height correctly, I do think that is also has a small part to do with the ladies maintaining sufficient tension in their arm. If the guy is leading their partner into a spin or turn under the arm (ie. catapult) the lady should still be maintaining contact with their partners hand, not letting their arm go limp and floppy. That way, they are in a better position to ensure that they can take their own hand high enough to clear their head.

I think thats its hard to know if the tension is right while trying to think of the steps and keeping your arm loose! But then again i'm only a newbie! I take that this all comes in time and from a male perspective what can be done to make sure you are not being too wibbly wobbly (great terms but i only had 4 hours sleep!) :what: :D

Baruch
15th-September-2004, 04:51 PM
I take that this all comes in time and from a male perspective what can be done to make sure you are not being too wibbly wobbly:what: :D
I've heard Viagra helps :whistle:

Pammy
15th-September-2004, 05:02 PM
That's because of all the bangs on the head :whistle:

I'll give you bangs on the head. Anyway, there's a post above mine that could do with your knowledgeable wisdom. You are, afterall, master of the subject.... :D

RobC
15th-September-2004, 08:00 PM
Anyway, there's a post above mine that could do with your knowledgeable wisdom. You are, afterall, master of the subject.... :D
What ? Viagra ? :rofl:

Rhythm King
16th-September-2004, 10:43 AM
Guess we need to get leg shortenings Shona :blush:

Tall Pamster
x

Oh no you don't - either of you, you're both just the right hieght :wink:

The slightly taller R-K x

baldrick
16th-September-2004, 01:07 PM
Oh no you don't - either of you, you're both just the right hieght :wink:

The slightly taller R-K x
:yeah:
After the weekend I know your just rught Shona. And Pammy I'll just have to wait to find out. :yum:

drathzel
19th-September-2004, 04:03 PM
The only good thing about being tall is the when your doing a dance that entails the man going under your arm you dont need to stand on your tippy toes!

The Short Drathzel :yum:

Pammy
20th-September-2004, 10:17 AM
The only good thing about being tall is the when your doing a dance that entails the man going under your arm you dont need to stand on your tippy toes!

The Short Drathzel :yum:

As another tallie. Can I have a dance this weekend. I'll be the man. I'll even wear a balloon to prove it :wink:

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 01:46 PM
As another tallie. Can I have a dance this weekend. I'll be the man. I'll even wear a balloon to prove it :wink:

Of course you can!! :innocent: :hug: