PDA

View Full Version : New version of Forum software

Franck
3rd-June-2004, 05:51 AM
Following the upgrade of the server, I was finally able to upgrade to the latest version of our wonderful forum software.
it is now 6.00am and I have only just finished upgrading. :what:

The new software includes many new features that you will discover over the next few weeks (some you'll like, some you might initially resent).
Be patient and explore, I probably forgot a few things in the upgrade process, so if you notice anything missing / not working, post it here and I'll do my best to fix it or to explain the new way!

I hope you enjoy the new forum! :flower:

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 06:13 AM
it is now 6.00am and I have only just finished upgrading. :what:
Strewth... what a shock... an early start, a bleary eye, and this !!!!!

:eek: :(

Very confused so far, will try it out with great interest.

... 2 mins later... Ooooohh.... :drool: smilies appear where the cursor is. :waycool: Now that's dead good.

Not convinced about the lack of contrast between what's been posted and the rest of the page... maybe there's a setting for that.

Anyway, will give it a longer go.

Well done, anyway, Franck, and all from a Mac too... :devil: :rolleyes:

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 08:13 AM
Ok, two question, Franck...

- is there any equivalent of "view today's posts" which usually showed all threads with a new post within the last 24 hours, with most recent first? It was the way I used to get at everything, mostly, and I had it bookmarked. Now that link only goes to the search page.

- is there a way of changing the appearance so that the posts on a thread stand out from all the other stuff on a page? I find it visually much busier than before, and not as easy to distinguish what I'm looking for on the page. Guess I'll probably get used to it, but initial impressions are that it's not as clear.

Cheers,
Chris

Gadget
3rd-June-2004, 08:15 AM
Not convinced about the lack of contrast between what's been posted and the rest of the page... maybe there's a setting for that.
yea - that's the first thing I noticed that I didn't like - no contract between posts either - it also makes some of the smilies have halos.

Not sure I like the transparent menus, they may grow on me.

Have only been on for two seconds, but couldn't find "Today's posts" search... will need to look harder.

Still need to expand the post text box to the same height as the smilie box (but the previous version had this problem as well)

Looks quite slick... will need to investigate further.

No "Post new thread" option to hand either... that was handy.

azande
3rd-June-2004, 08:21 AM
What a shock!!!! :what:
It will take a bit to get used to it but it looks good. Just one thing.... any chance of a way to get rid of the orange theme??? Coudn't find any option.. :tears:

azande
3rd-June-2004, 08:23 AM
Have only been on for two seconds, but couldn't find "Today's posts" search... will need to look harder. Gadget, have a look in the Quick Links

Chicky
3rd-June-2004, 08:37 AM
It must be my computer but the forum looks extremely basic, no html look at all, is there something I need to download?

Chicky
3rd-June-2004, 08:49 AM
all sorted now!!

Lory
3rd-June-2004, 08:52 AM
Im sure I just need time to tune into it but I really would like the option to be able to have a BIT less orange! :nice: Acrually, I've just previewed my post and I like the colour on the preview page :flower:

Lory
3rd-June-2004, 08:53 AM
Im sure I just need time to tune into it but I really would like the option to be able to have a BIT less orange! :nice: Acrually, I've just previewed my post and I like the colour on the preview page :flower:
Hey presto! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 09:08 AM
- is there a way of changing the appearance so that the posts on a thread stand out from all the other stuff on a page?

Miles better !!!!!!!!!!

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 09:16 AM
Miles better !!!!!!!!!!
In fact, I really like it now.

Lory
3rd-June-2004, 09:33 AM
In fact, I really like it now.Me too, You can preview private messages before you send them too! :clap: and add smilies to the middle of text after you've written it! :D

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2004, 10:20 AM
Me too, You can preview private messages before you send them too! :clap: and add smilies to the middle of text after you've written it! :D
the quick reply is cool too :)

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2004, 10:32 AM
hmm whats this reputation thing ? some have one or more little green boxes under their name and the grey cabbage in the botom left allows you to add to someones reputation!?

aha found this about it > http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53345

How do we find out who the top 50 posters are now then ?

Franck
3rd-June-2004, 10:32 AM
the quick reply is cool too :)
Yeah :D very cool!

I'm just tidying up a few more things at the moment.
The colours and general look of the Forum are likely to change over the next few days, so feel free to start a thread with suggestions!

DavidB
3rd-June-2004, 10:35 AM
I can get the messages since last visit via the 'New Posts' on the Quick Links, but how can I see 'Messages Posted Today'?

Lou
3rd-June-2004, 10:38 AM
How do we find out who the top 50 posters are now then ?
Members List? :kiss:

Hmmmm.... I dont like the flashing cursor thing when I come to type in a message. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. :wink:

Franck
3rd-June-2004, 10:38 AM
hmm whats this reputation thing ? some have one or more little green boxes under their name and the grey cabbage in the botom left allows you to add to someones reputation!?
reputation is a way registering your agreement / showing that you value a member's posts. If someone regularly posts very insightful / helpful / entertaining messages, you can click on the little reputation logo (cabbage?). Reputation will then be built over time, so new members will have a way of assessing the advice they're given.

This is very new and to be considered under review.... we'll see how it works out.

How do we find out who the top 50 posters are now then ?Easily, you just go to the Member List (link at the top) and sort by posts (or reputation / date joined /etc...)

Franck
3rd-June-2004, 10:39 AM
I can get the messages since last visit via the 'New Posts' on the Quick Links, but how can I see 'Messages Posted Today'?
I'm working on that one :nice:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 10:39 AM
The colours and general look of the Forum are likely to change over the next few days, so feel free to start a thread with suggestions!Anything other than orange?!? :D

Like the new forum layout though.... :worthy:

Trampy

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 10:42 AM
Still not sure about the "Reputation Points" where did the current ones come from and how to accumalte them ?? Also the "Bad Boy" points, do they come from other forumites ?? One more thing - The "Edit" button ??? (got the Edit button now - :clap: thanks)

Getting used to new layout - looks good, wish I was a bit cleverererer so I could work them out a bit quickererer :innocent:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 10:44 AM
Where is the 'mark all posts read' button as well??

I've got one of the forums showing that I have still got posts to read in it. But I don't....

Trampy

Jayne
3rd-June-2004, 10:45 AM
just wondering what my reputation was.. :what:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 10:51 AM
Where is the 'mark all posts read' button as well??OKie. Nevermind. Found it. In the 'Forum Tools' pull down menu.

Trampy

Andy McGregor
3rd-June-2004, 10:55 AM
just wondering what my reputation was.. :what:

Jayne has a reputation for being a great dancer, great fun and for dancing with ChrisA. This season she will be mostly wearing black - including a very stylish bowler hat :kiss:

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 10:56 AM
PLEASEWhat's happend to my title :confused: I seemed to be returned to being a "Registered User" :tears:

Want a name :sad: - like "Rockin' Grannie" or "Forum OAP" or well - any ideas :o PLEASE :D :hug: :rolleyes:

Franck
3rd-June-2004, 10:57 AM
Anything other than orange?!? :D Hey, Orange will feature in the main / official design, but like previously, there will be the option to choose a more neutral style.

Where is the 'mark all posts read' button as well??You can find that in the 'Quick Links' drop down menu above.

Still not sure about the "Reputation Points" where did the current ones come from and how to accumalte them ?? Also the "Bad Boy" points, do they come from other forumites ?? One more thing - The "Edit" button ???Reputation will be interesting. Everyone started with the same reputation. Every time someone clicks on the reputation button, after reading a particularly good (or bad) post, they are able to register their appreciation (or disapproval). This will add points to the poster's reputation. The higher your rep, the more points your vote carries.
Negative views deduct points.

just wondering what my reputation was.. :what::D I'm sure it will be very good....

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 10:58 AM
Jayne has a reputation for being a great dancer, great fun and for dancing with ChrisA. This season she will be mostly wearing black - including a very stylish bowler hat :kiss:
How does Andy know she's great fun? :eek:

Other than by association with me, obviously... :rofl:

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 10:59 AM
This will add points to the poster's reputation. The higher your rep, the more points your vote carries.
Negative views deduct points.
Are ratings anonymous ??? :devil: :devil: :devil:

Jayne
3rd-June-2004, 11:01 AM
:grin: Thanks Andy!

Wasn't the hat fab? (even managed to upstage Nigel's! :devil: ) I *love* the hat and soon everyone will be wearing them! :whistle:

J :nice:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 11:04 AM
Everyone started with the same reputation. Well. Almost everyone. Someone did start with 3 green blocks of reputation!! :D

Trampy

Andy McGregor
3rd-June-2004, 11:04 AM
Other than by association with me, obviously... :rofl:

..and prefers guys who look cool in black:wink:

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 11:22 AM
Welcome, Minnie M.
You last visited: 12 Hours Ago at 10:55 PM

- this is not being updated - the time is correct though :confused:

Is it possible to have "time on forum" displayed PLEASE - would really help me as I don't have broadband and sometimes loose time of how long I am on here :blush:

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 11:31 AM
I seemed to be returned to being a "Registered User" :tears: Yup - noticed that some are now 'registerered users' and others are the same as before -so some have changed and some haven't?

The only other comment I have is that everything is showing up a lot bigger on my screen now (text etc) - anyway of making it smaller on my display?

Otherwise - looks great! :grin:

foxylady
3rd-June-2004, 11:34 AM
The only other comment I have is that everything is showing up a lot bigger on my screen now (text etc) - anyway of making it smaller on my display?

:grin:

Photographs in posts now appearing HUGE..

xSalsa_Angelx
3rd-June-2004, 12:05 PM
Can you view your own reputation points then?

Need to get used to this new forum idea :what:

CJ
3rd-June-2004, 12:07 PM
Just to add to everyone else's thoughts....

(Like you have nowt better to do. GET SOME SLEEP!!)

Anyway,

can't seem to get quick reply to work: I need to press an icon that I can't seem to find.

Whilst I like the "23 minutes ago" thing, time of post might not be so bad either (pref, additionally!! :D )

Thanks, Franck.

Great effort, as always...

Emma
3rd-June-2004, 12:12 PM
It's the little button next to the 'quote' one, CJ :)

CJ
3rd-June-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Em

(hug.)

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 12:22 PM
Whilst I like the "23 minutes ago" thing, time of post might not be so bad either (pref, additionally!! :D ) I liked that 'minutes ago' bit! But cheers Franck for all the work you are putting in to make improvements.

CJ
3rd-June-2004, 12:34 PM
Can we have both??

Gadget
3rd-June-2004, 12:52 PM
:waycool: aaaah, that's better.
Found the "new thread" link. I like a lot of the new features.

I kind of liked the posting person's id above the post, but perhaps it's just that the ID bar to the left looks like it takes up more room than it used to.

It seems that the default is that when you post a reply (not quoting) you post a reply to the last post; therefore the "thread" view shows a large cascading group of threads with only those quoting a post and the next reply to it being on the same level.
It would be better (IMO) if the default in posting a blank reply was to post it against the title posting.

{BTW the "cabbage" I think is meant to be a set of scales.}

Lory
3rd-June-2004, 01:04 PM
You know the ironic thing about the change of format is that, yesterday, I spent a whole hour going through how the OLD forum worked with my friend Angelique, who's just registered :angry:

I'm just waiting for the inevitable phone call........

Lorraine! it's looks different on my PC to how it looked on yours! :confused: :rofl:

Stuart M
3rd-June-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey, Orange will feature in the main / official design, but like previously, there will be the option to choose a more neutral style.

Any chance the Mac Aqua interface will reappear, Franck? OK "Orange is the colour, Ceroc is the team", but it doesn't help those of us in an open plan office with the manager sitting next to us :what:

I'm using the default vBulletin style at the mo but it's still a bit too colourful...

Gradually getting used to it otherwise.

Steven
3rd-June-2004, 01:12 PM
Have to say new forum software is a big improvement, espcecially the visual side of things.

Reputation could work well but need time.

Cheers

Steven

Steven
3rd-June-2004, 01:15 PM
Have noticed the scales still appear on your own post.......does this mean you can add to your own reputation??? Maybe the only way I will get one!

Cheers

Steven

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 01:24 PM
Any chance the Mac Aqua interface will reappear That was what I had been using before. But there is no orange on my display now. Have to wait and see what it is like on the work computer as it always looked different.

Divissima
3rd-June-2004, 01:29 PM
Can anyone explain how the reputation thing works. I get how you add a comment. But I haven't yet found out how to view the comments posted about my posts. Is there some kind of overall reputation tally??

I'm a bit confused by this at the moment. :blush:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 01:33 PM
Ummm. To view comments that others have made about your posts, go to the UserCP menu. You should be able to see all comments there....

Everyone starts off with 10 reputation points, which equates to one green box, next to the number of posts you have made. Franck currently has 4 green boxes, probably a fix ( :D ). Everyone else still has one.

Does this help at all??

Trampy

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2004, 01:34 PM
Can anyone explain how the reputation thing works. I get how you add a comment. But I haven't yet found out how to view the comments posted about my posts. Is there some kind of overall reputation tally??

wel thats easy - you click on scales* on peoples post to affect their reputation and you click on the scales* on your own post to see if other people have done that to you. Try it now :)

*looks like a cabbage

Divissima
3rd-June-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Trampy! I will take a look.

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 01:36 PM
Anytime.

I just noticed it, when I was trying to find out how to stop my screen being quite so orange!!! :)

Trampy

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2004, 01:38 PM
Help!! People keep adding negative comments - my reputation is suffering!! Can I sue ? Someone apparantly 'hates smurfs' too - i feel violated :(

I think Ive always had a negative reputation though! :D

Divissima
3rd-June-2004, 01:38 PM
Now it's a bit annoying that you don't know who has posted the comments (unless they sign them - thanks, Steve!).

I hope this feature won't be misused by the miscreants and mischievous members of the forum! :really:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 01:41 PM
Ummm. Well, you can only give someone reputation once on each post, and it appears that you can't keep giving reputation to the same person on all their different posts.

(Yes, I've been playing with it to see how it works :D )

I'd like to see who makes the comments though - would help to stop abuse. Being able to post negative comments about people isn't good I don't think. I've already had one comment about someone (not me) dancing like a monkey.... Don't think that it was meant in a nice way either :(

Trampy

Divissima
3rd-June-2004, 01:41 PM
Just had a (part) answer to my previous concerns. If you've 'repped' someone, you apparently can't rep 'em again in close succession.

Gotta spread the love (or nasty stuff, I suppose).

Divissima
3rd-June-2004, 01:44 PM
Cool - I'm starting to like the new Forum a lot.

(My initial reaction was panic!)

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 01:46 PM
I like it too....

Well done Franck :clap:

Trampy

Gadget
3rd-June-2004, 01:50 PM
It would be better (IMO) if the default in posting a blank reply was to post it against the title posting.
bad form, qouting myself, but if the "Quick post" defaulted to the title posting's link, then that would "solve" the issue.

Emma
3rd-June-2004, 02:00 PM
I like it too....

Trampy :yeah: :hug:

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 02:16 PM
I like it too....

Trampy

:yeah: I like too, too :flower: :kiss: :clap:

Just checked my reputation votes - it has gone down to 9 :confused: is that you playing Trampy :sad:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:21 PM
Just checked my reputation votes - it has gone down to 9 :confused: is that you playing Trampy :sad:
Wasn't me.

That time :devil:

Trampy

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 02:24 PM
...../snip... I've already had one comment ....

Apologies for acusing you - but you did say you were playing

Where can you see the comments :confused:

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 02:24 PM
... 2 mins later... Ooooohh.... :drool: smilies appear where the cursor is. :waycool: Now that's dead good.

Smiles don't appear where MY cursor is! Have I got different software to the lot of you, cos I live in deepest darkest Yorkshire ? :confused: :rofl:

Jayne
3rd-June-2004, 02:26 PM
So what's with the "distinguished road" and "off the scale" stuff on the reputations then?

J :confused:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:30 PM
So what's with the "distinguished road" and "off the scale" stuff on the reputations then?

J :confused:
Distinguished road is if you have a reputation greater than the 10 points that you started with.

Off the scale is if no-one has made any reputation comment on any of your posts yet....

Trampy

Emma
3rd-June-2004, 02:30 PM
Minnie, the comments are at the bottom of your 'user CP' page :)

Jayne, the tags change according to the 'reputation' you have.

OK, did Steve beat me with the reply? :grin:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:31 PM
Ummm. To view comments that others have made about your posts, go to the UserCP menu. You should be able to see all comments there....
There you go Minnie (know I'm quoting myself, but couldn't be bothered with typing it out again).

Trampy

Emma
3rd-June-2004, 02:31 PM
...that'd be a yes...:rofl: can we change his forum tag to 'fastest finger'? :flower:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:32 PM
OK, did Steve beat me with the reply? :grin:

...that'd be a yes...:rofl: can we change his forum tag to 'fastest finger'? :flower:
Yes, but you did beat me with replying to Minnie. And with replying to yourself!! :worthy:

Anyhow, Sheena tells me that she types faster than I do anyhow :whistle:

Trampy

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 02:36 PM
Distinguished road is if you have a reputation greater than the 10 points that you started with.

Off the scale is if no-one has made any reputation comment on any of your posts yet....

Trampy

What I want to know is.......how come Trampy always knows these things? He's always so knowledgeable about things on here, but how does he know? Does he help set them up or is it just that he is fully computer literate and can work things out quickly, as opposed to me, who is mostly computer thick ? :rofl:

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 02:42 PM
I've just looked at my User CP and I can't find where you would check Reputation comments. :tears: Whats it headed? :confused:

Lory
3rd-June-2004, 02:44 PM
What I want to know is.......how come Trampy always knows these things?
Well, he has to be good at something poor love! :whistle:

ChrisA
3rd-June-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, what a difference a day makes. At 6.15 this morning the forum was HORRIBLE (many of you won't have seen the all-over orange where you couldn't tell what was what..)

...but now it's fab. :hug:

Now that the "today's threads" link is back, I can't think of a single thing I preferred about the old version.

Storming contribution, Franck. :worthy: :cheers:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:53 PM
What I want to know is.......how come Trampy always knows these things? He's always so knowledgeable about things on here, but how does he know? Does he help set them up or is it just that he is fully computer literate and can work things out quickly, as opposed to me, who is mostly computer thick ? :rofl:Ummm. I just worked it out.

Was a huge surprise to me too, when I logged on the forum this morning.... Was eating with Franck (and others) at 12:30am, and he didn't let on at all what he was about to do. :rolleyes:

Trampy

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:55 PM
Well, he has to be good at something poor love! :whistle:
Thanks Lory.

Love you too :flower:

Trampy

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 02:56 PM
I've just looked at my User CP and I can't find where you would check Reputation comments. :tears: Whats it headed? :confused:
You probably just didn't have any then.

I've reputed (is this a new forum word??) you now though, so go and check again :hug:

Trampy

Lory
3rd-June-2004, 02:56 PM
Well, what a difference a day makes. At 6.15 this morning the forum was HORRIBLE (many of you won't have seen the all-over orange where you couldn't tell what was what..)

...but now it's fab. :hug:

Now that the "today's threads" link is back, I can't think of a single thing I preferred about the old version.

Storming contribution, Franck. :worthy: :cheers: :yeah: The first thing this morning it was a bit :really: but now its brilliant! great job Franck! :cheers:

Sheepman
3rd-June-2004, 03:04 PM
I can't think of a single thing I preferred about the old version. I have a couple . . .

but first the good stuff, I think it looks great, feels great (?), I haven't done a sniff test yet! :really: The extra functionality so far looks useful, and the reputation thing will be fun. (Or should we be taking it deadly seriously - I can't see us lot doing that!)

One little problem - On the User CP page you used to get your buddy list, where you could go quickly to those people on your list to PM them. Can we get that back?

One BIG, HUGE problem. Am I the only one left on dial up? It is so, so slow, each "transaction" seems to take 3 or 4 times longer than before, and no way can I spend 3 or 4 times as long on here! I've removed avatars from my options, which helps marginally, can I do anything (aprt from broadband) to get some speed back??

Greg

Sheepman
3rd-June-2004, 03:07 PM
One little problem - On the User CP page you used to get your buddy list, where you could go quickly to those people on your list to PM them. Can we get that back? OK, I opened my mouth too soon, I've found it now, in the quick links.

Greg

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 03:08 PM
Ohmygod! I have 3 now (ok so who's the anonymous one?) Self-effacement, Greg? Ah st' me-an? (bit of Yorkshire there) :rofl:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 03:10 PM
Am I the only one left on dial up? Probably :devil:

Trampy

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 03:54 PM
Am I the only one left on dial up? No! :(

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-June-2004, 05:21 PM
No! :(

dial up ? hmm I've heard of this. Didnt know you still got this :)

Everyone go to www.net4nowt.com and find a broadband alternative!

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 06:36 PM
No! :(

Me too AND it does seem slower :( :tears:

PS: Thanks Emma & Trampy for sorting me out - still a bit upset I lost a reputation point :tears: :sad:

Peter
3rd-June-2004, 07:14 PM
How do I find out the time in sunny Scotland? Which button do I press? All I get is "All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:13 PM." etc

Emma
3rd-June-2004, 09:44 PM
- still a bit upset I lost a reputation point :tears: :sad:Tish, can only have been someone messing about :hug:

Claire
3rd-June-2004, 11:04 PM
Whilst I know everyone is complaining about it being orange but am I the only one to wonder "why" mine isn't orange??....lol (I would insert a smiley there but haven't quite found them yet.. I seem to be lagging behind everyone else in exploring this new version!)
~grinning

Claire
3rd-June-2004, 11:15 PM
:blush:
Ahhhhhhh
Just found the smileys!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

foxylady
4th-June-2004, 12:02 AM
Mine's never been orange either :waycool:

Minnie M
4th-June-2004, 12:05 AM
I was tango'd this morning - it was 'orrible :sad: but now I am a light shade of blue and it is lufffffffly and clear :cheers: :clap:

TheTramp
4th-June-2004, 12:45 AM
:blush:
Ahhhhhhh
Just found the smileys!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
They were behind you??? :D

Trampy

Minnie M
4th-June-2004, 12:49 AM
How do you know how many people are logged on ?

TheTramp
4th-June-2004, 12:51 AM
Cos underneath the bottom forum, there's a number of boxes which say (amongst other things):

What's Going On?
Currently Active Users: 9 (6 members and 3 guests)
Most users ever online was 55, 10th-July-2003 at 05:10 PM.
TheTramp, bigdjiver, Daisy, Gary, Minnie M, Neil

Trampy

Minnie M
4th-June-2004, 12:54 AM
Got it :clap: thanks Trampy :hug:

TheTramp
4th-June-2004, 12:54 AM
Got it :clap: thanks Trampy :hug:
Anytime Minnie :hug:

Trampy

Lynn
4th-June-2004, 08:09 AM
Also think the little green light (bottom corner of post) that shows if you are online or not is a nice feature - especially if you are replying to someone's post.

Rachel
4th-June-2004, 11:23 AM
Franck - is it possible to have the featue in the members' list to 'list by date joined' again?
Rachel

ChrisA
4th-June-2004, 11:47 AM
Just a very minor point, Franck... the old version took you straight to a post you'd just submitted, whereas now it seems to do that, then jump to the quick reply box, making the post jump up to the top of the page.

Is it possible to configure it so that it leaves you at the post rather than jumping?

As I say, it's very minor, just wondering if it's configurable. Others may even prefer it the new way.

Chris

Unregistered
4th-June-2004, 02:44 PM
They were behind you??? :D
Trampy

~chuckles
I think the smileys star in pantomimes at Christmas time!

TheTramp
4th-June-2004, 03:27 PM
~chuckles
Hey...

Even smileys have to make a living somehow :D

Trampy

CJ
4th-June-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey...

Even smileys have to make a living somehow :D

They are all too busy playing musical chairs!! :tears:

Is a disaster trying to find them every post, the buggers move!!

Sheepman
4th-June-2004, 04:33 PM
Cos underneath the bottom forum, there's a number of boxes which say (amongst other things): Am I being totally dumb? I haven't got a "bottom forum" or these boxes, or is it on the home page where I've not looked?

So yesterday our reputation changes were all anonymous, and today we have the originator against each change. I wonder if W??? realises this? :devil:

Greg

Gadget
4th-June-2004, 04:50 PM
Am I being totally dumb? I haven't got a "bottom forum" or these boxes, or is it on the home page where I've not looked?
It's on the main page you enter the forum on; right at the bottom - this is also where the new members, total posts and birthdays show up now.

Franck
4th-June-2004, 05:23 PM
Franck - is it possible to have the featue in the members' list to 'list by date joined' again?
RachelNow done :D

Franck
4th-June-2004, 05:23 PM
Just a very minor point, Franck... the old version took you straight to a post you'd just submitted, whereas now it seems to do that, then jump to the quick reply box, making the post jump up to the top of the page.

Is it possible to configure it so that it leaves you at the post rather than jumping?

As I say, it's very minor, just wondering if it's configurable. Others may even prefer it the new way.

Chris
I'll have to take a deeper look in the setting to alter that. Not sure if I can.

Claire
4th-June-2004, 08:15 PM
~chuckles

How come I was unregistered and not Claire?
This new software keeps signing me out!

Emma
4th-June-2004, 08:50 PM
Hee hee, I knew that was you - I recognise that laugh!

DavidY
5th-June-2004, 10:36 AM
Can someone tell me more about the "Archive" link at the bottom right of the page? I imagined an archive as something which would go back to really old threads, but it only seems to show the 250 most recent threads (& I can't work out how to see older ones) :confused:

Franck
5th-June-2004, 11:42 AM
Can someone tell me more about the "Archive" link at the bottom right of the page? I imagined an archive as something which would go back to really old threads, but it only seems to show the 250 most recent threads (& I can't work out how to see older ones) :confused:The archive link is mostly provided for Search engines as it provides a static html page for them to index...

It is however a very good replacement for the view printable version, as it opens each thread on a single page, without pictures, is very fast and easy to read too.
The 250 threads was a custom limit. I have now updated it so it goes back to the dawn of time (January 2001 when time - and the Ceroc Scotland Forum - began! :D )

TheTramp
5th-June-2004, 11:55 AM
Have been wondering for a while why the time is out?!?

"The time in sunny Scotland is 11:54 AM."

But according to my watch, it's now 12:06 PM.

Is there any reason why the forum is 12 minutes slow??

Trampy

Emma
5th-June-2004, 12:01 PM
Is there any reason why the forum is 12 minutes slow??
It's French *weg*

Lynn
5th-June-2004, 12:22 PM
Just noticed - if you change your notification on your subscribed threads to 'daily' instead of 'instant' - you don't get a 'someone has replied to this thread' notification - you get an 'update' notification email - including all the replies made that day on the thread.

Minnie M
6th-June-2004, 02:50 AM
I have tried to add attachments - but have failed miserably :tears:

Went to the 'management' bit - browsed - found file - clicked on 'download' - then I get a script coming up showing the attachment was not allowed - yet it is just a simple jpeg :confused:

Lory
6th-June-2004, 09:46 AM
I have tried to add attachments - but have failed miserably :tears:

Went to the 'management' bit - browsed - found file - clicked on 'download' - then I get a script coming up showing the attachment was not allowed - yet it is just a simple jpeg :confused:
:yeah: SNAP, I've tried the same as you Minnie and had exactly the same problem! :(

Minnie M
6th-June-2004, 01:45 PM
Tied it again this today - and I got a "thumnail" picture :confused:

hey ho - better than nothing - see "Forum Babies" thread :blush:

DavidY
6th-June-2004, 02:29 PM
At the bottom of the screen under Miinnie's Forum Babies (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3031) thread, there's a table of "Similar Threads" which I'd not seen before, showing 3 (quite old) threads.

How does it know what's similar to what?

Is there some complex software which is reading all the threads and working out what they're about :confused: (if so it's cleverer than I am :wink: )?

DavidY
6th-June-2004, 02:32 PM
Tied it again this today - and I got a "thumnail" picture :confused:

hey ho - better than nothing - see "Forum Babies" thread :blush:Must admit I prefer the thumbnails - you can always click on them to see the detail, and I imagine it makes the pages open faster.

Minnie M
6th-June-2004, 03:13 PM
Must admit I prefer the thumbnails - you can always click on them to see the detail, and I imagine it makes the pages open faster.

dahh.... :whistle:
Silly me .... yep much better :cheers:

jiveoholic
7th-June-2004, 01:33 PM
I keep getting a message stating that the administrator has decided that I can only do one search every 15 seconds...or something like that. This appears rather often (even when not doing a search). Perhaps I am a little impatient or change my mind about some button I have clicked whilst waiting for the reply - but then I have to site there counting up to 15!

Is it just me whos gets this?

Gadget
7th-June-2004, 01:59 PM
No - I get it too; I think that the initial page is classed as a search, so if you try to search quickly after it's loaded (eg using one of the quick searches on the shortcut bar) it says "15sec"
It's either that or the text that actually reads "recent posts" is a link and I click on the drop-down after that and select 1 day... the system gets two searches and displays the message.

Could it just take you to the last search and scrap the first?

Lynn
8th-June-2004, 03:30 PM
Where has the 'currently online' bit gone? I can't find it - am I just having a blonde moment? :blush: :confused:

Bardsey
8th-June-2004, 03:38 PM
Where has the 'currently online' bit gone? I can't find it - am I just having a blonde moment? :blush: :confused:

I just looked and I can't find it either. When I ran a search, it brought up a box and listed under Site was Who's Online. I clicked on there and promptly got my hand slapped.....said I hadn't authority to look there... oops! I'll be getting a reputation as a bad girl at this rate :rofl: :confused:

Lynn
8th-June-2004, 03:49 PM
I just looked and I can't find it either. When I ran a search, it brought up a box and listed under Site was Who's Online. I clicked on there and promptly got my hand slapped.....said I hadn't authority to look there... oops! I'll be getting a reputation as a bad girl at this rate :rofl: :confused: As long as you aren't Little Miss Naughty - cos that's me! :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :rofl:

TheTramp
8th-June-2004, 05:17 PM
Just found out that I can't access the Private Message receipts page - where you see if the messages that you've sent people have been received.

I don't have the right privileges to access that area.

Trampy

DavidB
8th-June-2004, 06:48 PM
The Recent Posts menu doesn't appear if you use the MacOsX display style.

TheTramp
9th-June-2004, 12:24 AM
Looks like Franck is playing with the new software still....

Where's the :scared: smiley when you need it?!?

Trampy

SwingSwingSwing
9th-June-2004, 08:42 PM
Cos underneath the bottom forum, there's a number of boxes which say (amongst other things):

What's Going On?
Currently Active Users: 9 (6 members and 3 guests)
Most users ever online was 55, 10th-July-2003 at 05:10 PM.
TheTramp, bigdjiver, Daisy, Gary, Minnie M, Neil

Trampy

I can't see any "Who is online" or "Currently Active Users" info....but apparently I can get it back by paying £15 a year.

Check out the "Paid Subscriptions" section in the UserCP. That's going to be an interesting one!

SwingSwingSwing

Lynn
9th-June-2004, 09:29 PM
I can't see any "Who is online" or "Currently Active Users" info....but apparently I can get it back by paying £15 a year.

Check out the "Paid Subscriptions" section in the UserCP. That's going to be an interesting one! It also seems to say for the £15 you get to edit your own posts. But I just edited this one. (I had to change the bit where I had written you can't edit your own posts!) And it seems to say you can't start a thread in the social events unless you pay the £150 commercial membership? But does that apply to everyone (eg announcing a party) or just events and how is the difference decided...

foxylady
10th-June-2004, 11:28 AM
I tend to leave the forum 'on' whilst on the internet, and go back from time to time... What really annoys me is with the new software, on reading the new posts page after a while (15 mins +) it will mark all the items as read (and take away the go to first unread post icon) , although, because I am flicking between reading and doing more productive things I'll have only read a few of the threads... This didn't happen on the old one. It only updated what you had read (presumably with a cookie) when you logged out :confused: :(

Dreadful Scathe
10th-June-2004, 11:45 AM
(and take away the go to first unread post icon) , although, because I am flicking between reading and doing more productive things I'll have only read a few of the threads

Indeed - i find this mildly annoying too - couldnt find a way to change this behaviour!

Emma
10th-June-2004, 11:56 AM
couldn't find a way to change this behaviour!Have you tried positive reinforcement? :grin:

Chicklet
10th-June-2004, 01:27 PM
First post in the brave new world -

I wrote it out properly with a fountain pen in my hardback book of course but have recently heard a rumour that some people don't do that :eek:

Please may I enquire as to the whereabouts of the dropdown options to pick last day etc from "new posts"? This was my favourite thing and I would be delighted to see it reinstated.
many thanks
CAFG :grin:

Franck
10th-June-2004, 01:42 PM
Please may I enquire as to the whereabouts of the dropdown options to pick last day etc from "new posts"? This was my favourite thing and I would be delighted to see it reinstated.The option should already be there, at the top of the page, amongst all the other menus, next to new posts...
If you can't find it, try changing the style you're viewing the forum with by selecting it from the drop menu at the very bottom left corner of the page.

Welcome back!

Bardsey
10th-June-2004, 01:50 PM
The option should already be there, at the top of the page, amongst all the other menus, next to new posts...
If you can't find it, try changing the style you're viewing the forum with by selecting it from the drop menu at the very bottom left corner of the page.

Welcome back!

Mine had gone missing too, and the box at the bottom was showing something different too, so I just change it to vbulletin something or other and now Recent posts is back. Thanks Franck!

Franck
10th-June-2004, 01:51 PM
I tend to leave the forum 'on' whilst on the internet, and go back from time to time... What really annoys me is with the new software, on reading the new posts page after a while (15 mins +) it will mark all the items as read (and take away the go to first unread post icon)(Unfortunately, there is no easy way to change the above. The obvious way is to keep your browsing session active, but I understand this is not ideal...
I believe the developers of the forum software are working on implementing a solution, but it might take a while.

One solution, which will soon be available for premium members of the forum, is to keep the 'Who's online' page open, as it refreshes every 2 minutes in the background and will keep your session active automatically, as well as showing you who's online and what they're up to! :wink:
This is part of the paid upgrade subscription that SwingSwingSwing mentioned (available via your control panel - paid subscriptions).

I have decided to implement the new level of service as the server / forum costs were spiralling up, as a means to offset some of the cost.

My aim is to make sure the forum is fully accessible for free to everyone, but to offer more / better options to those of you that want to contribute.

The annual cost will be £15.00 for a silver membership, but this price will be reduced to £10.00 for the 1st year for existing members, if purchased before the end of July.
Some of the features are not yet activated / disabled, but will be over the next couple of weeks.

Chicklet
10th-June-2004, 01:51 PM
:kiss: I was in test bottom left :eek: :tears:

how bizzare, I shall now return to lurking and pretending I don't notice CJ posting something wicked about me at least one a month in the most inappropriate of threads. :innocent:

Franck
10th-June-2004, 01:53 PM
I keep getting a message stating that the administrator has decided that I can only do one search every 15 seconds...or something like that. This appears rather often (even when not doing a search). Perhaps I am a little impatient or change my mind about some button I have clicked whilst waiting for the reply - but then I have to site there counting up to 15!

Is it just me whos gets this?
I have now changed that to 6 seconds to limit the frustrating wait. I have to set a minimum to avoid denial of service attacks etc...

Bardsey
10th-June-2004, 02:06 PM
The annual cost will be £15.00 for a silver membership, but this price will be reduced to £10.00 for the 1st year for existing members, if purchased before the end of July.
Some of the features are not yet activated / disabled, but will be over the next couple of weeks.

I've just checked this out Franck. By existing members, does this mean the people who already use the forum, like me, or have people already been paying subscriptions, cos I didn't know about it, if they have. Also, not sure what Paypal is. I think I may have it on my computer, but to be honest, I've not knowingly used it!

Franck
10th-June-2004, 02:14 PM
I've just checked this out Franck. By existing members, does this mean the people who already use the forum, like me, or have people already been paying subscriptions, cos I didn't know about it, if they have.No, I mean anyone who is a member of the Forum (or who joins before the end of July).
Nobody has been using the subscriptions yet, it's all new.
So for the price of a Jivemasters 03 video (are they still available?), you can get loads of extras and improve your forum experience!

Also, not sure what Paypal is. I think I may have it on my computer, but to be honest, I've not knowingly used it!Paypal is a web service (visit www.paypal.com for more info) which allows you to pay online (using your paypal account if you have one, or a credit card). You don't need to instal anything on your pc, just follow the instructions once you've clicked purchase...
Don't use the purchase option yet as the special offer price is not yet activated.

bigdjiver
10th-June-2004, 03:47 PM
I tend to leave the forum 'on' whilst on the internet, and go back from time to time... What really annoys me is with the new software, on reading the new posts page after a while (15 mins +) it will mark all the items as read (and take away the go to first unread post icon) , although, because I am flicking between reading and doing more productive things I'll have only read a few of the threads... This didn't happen on the old one. It only updated what you had read (presumably with a cookie) when you logged out :confused: :( I open the new posts page, then go down the list right clicking on the go to first unread post icons of those that interest me, and opening them in a new window. This means I have a lot of open windows to go through one at a time, as suits me. It also means that as one window is doing summat I can be reading another.

On the last item of interest I left click so I do not waste a window.

Lynn
10th-June-2004, 05:25 PM
Don't use the purchase option yet as the special offer price is not yet activated. Maybe you can make an annoucement on this thread when it is.

Claire
10th-June-2004, 11:16 PM
Whilst I know everyone is complaining about it being orange but am I the only one to wonder "why" mine isn't orange??.... ~grinning

ok ok
So who's messing with my colours??
I know I commented on NOT having orange but I sign in today and it IS orange!!
lololol

foxylady
10th-June-2004, 11:25 PM
ok ok
So who's messing with my colours??
I know I commented on NOT having orange but I sign in today and it IS orange!!
lololol

Me too... I liked the pale blue !!

(ahh found the prob - seem to have switched from vbulletin 3 to 'test' - in the little box very bottom left. Switched back and all OK)

Minnie M
10th-June-2004, 11:53 PM
Me too... I liked the pale blue !!

bring back the pale blue :mad: it's yuck now :( :sick:

where this little box ? Please :flower:

Emma
10th-June-2004, 11:58 PM
where this little box ? Please :flower:Bottom left...at the moment it'll say 'test' in it :)

Minnie M
10th-June-2004, 11:59 PM
Bottom left...at the moment it'll say 'test' in it :)

Got it ! thanks Emma :hug: looks good again :worthy:

Emma
11th-June-2004, 12:04 AM
Got it ! thanks Emma :hug: looks good again :worthy:No problem :hug: :nice: x

Claire
11th-June-2004, 12:12 AM
bring back the pale blue :mad: it's yuck now :( :sick:
where this little box ? Please :flower:

Blimey I'm fickle
I quite like it now
hahahahahahahahaha

DavidB
11th-June-2004, 12:49 AM
Is there any way in the new software of copying Private Messages into Outlook? Then I could delete them from the forum and free up a bit of space.

Lory
11th-June-2004, 09:12 AM
Franck, can you keep us up to date with the changes your making, as you do them, so we don't keep searching for things that don't exist anymore! :flower: :hug:

Franck
11th-June-2004, 09:38 AM
Is there any way in the new software of copying Private Messages into Outlook? Then I could delete them from the forum and free up a bit of space.Hi David,

Yes there is, if you go to your Private Messages page, and scroll to the very bottom of the page, you have 3 links:

Download all private messages as XML, CSV, TXT. Select the format you prefer and there you are... :D

Franck
11th-June-2004, 09:40 AM
Franck, can you keep us up to date with the changes your making, as you do them, so we don't keep searching for things that don't exist anymore! :flower: :hug:I will try Lory, but I am working on so many things at once at the moment... I will do my best to announce important changes, and keep up with this thread to answer questions, so if something stops working or changes and you would like to know why, post it here.

I am however close to completing the current setup (famous last words).

Dreadful Scathe
11th-June-2004, 09:41 AM
Is there any way in the new software of copying Private Messages into Outlook? Then I could delete them from the forum and free up a bit of space.

bottom right of private message area lets you download as xml, csv or txt but not having used outlook much at all i cant help. However this document http://www.excelforum.com/t186469-s about exporting csv fils from excel into outlook may help.

xSalsa_Angelx
11th-June-2004, 11:04 AM
Franck

Where's the bit at the bottom of the forum that tells you who is online gone?? :confused:

XsaX

Lynn
11th-June-2004, 11:21 AM
Where's the bit at the bottom of the forum that tells you who is online gone?? :confused: I think that is part of the new 'premium' member level privileges now. I'm sure full details will follow in due course.

Franck
11th-June-2004, 11:54 AM
Franck

Where's the bit at the bottom of the forum that tells you who is online gone?? :confused:

XsaX
Hey Salsa,

That part of the Forum is gone.
It will be replaced by the Who's online page, available only to premium members of the forum (Check the paid subscriptions page here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/subscriptions.php?) )

Andy McGregor
11th-June-2004, 12:40 PM
Hey Salsa,

That part of the Forum is gone.
It will be replaced by the Who's online page, available only to premium members of the forum (Check the paid subscriptions page here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/subscriptions.php?) )

Great idea Franck. Have some positive reputation - oh, and £10 :cheers:

I can't imagine that you'll get rich from the Forum. I'm certain that you run the Forum because you enjoy it. But I'm also certain that you have expenses associated with it and I'm pleased to be able to chip in to help cover the cost.

Bardsey
11th-June-2004, 03:38 PM
:confused: Hey where's the rest of the pages gone? I just had a notification that Andy said something about naked men and Gold membership, came in via the link to take a look and it wasn't showing at all. the very last post showing now is the one from Andy saying about sending his £10 etc.

Any ideas why, Franck? :confused:

Emma
11th-June-2004, 03:41 PM
:confused: Hey where's the rest of the pages gone? I just had a notification that Andy said something about naked men and Gold membership, came in via the link to take a look and it wasn't showing at all. the very last post showing now is the one from Andy saying about sending his £10 etc.I split the thread Bardsey, as you were a tad off topic :nice: It's now in Chit Chat and entitled 'New members play with their features' :grin:

RobC
11th-June-2004, 03:45 PM
Commercial membership
This level of subscription is available to anyone who runs / promotes events or classes. The extra level of service allows you to start threads in the Social events area (to advertise specific events), .....

So what's to stop us from starting a new thread in the Social events area at the moment (to advertise specific events) ? :confused:

An extra £140/year seems a bit steep just to be able to add to the forum's calendar and start threads in the social events area. What else do you get for the extra money Franck ?

Franck
11th-June-2004, 03:45 PM
:confused: Hey where's the rest of the pages gone? I just had a notification that Andy said something about naked men and Gold membership, came in via the link to take a look and it wasn't showing at all. the very last post showing now is the one from Andy saying about sending his £10 etc.

Any ideas why, Franck? :confused:
The posts were moved by a very efficient moderator to a new thread: Premium members play with new features :nice:

Divissima
11th-June-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi Bardsey - they gave us a breakaway threat in Chit Chat....

See you there. D'oh - pipped at the post by Franck!

Bardsey
11th-June-2004, 04:23 PM
I split the thread Bardsey, as you were a tad off topic :nice: It's now in Chit Chat and entitled 'New members play with their features' :grin:

yeah that's me all over Emma, always going off at a tangent :rofl:

Emma
11th-June-2004, 04:25 PM
yeah that's me all over Emma, always going off at a tangent :rofl:No worries, it's what this place is all about! :cheers: x

TheTramp
11th-June-2004, 06:00 PM
So what's to stop us from starting a new thread in the Social events area at the moment (to advertise specific events) ? :confused:

An extra £140/year seems a bit steep just to be able to add to the forum's calendar and start threads in the social events area. What else do you get for the extra money Franck ?

Probably nothing. But in the not too distant future (might have happened already), no-one will be able to start a new thread in the social events, unless they are commercial members....

£150 a year is only £12 a month. Most people would think that maybe isn't a lot to advertise to all the people who read the forum (and the number is growing), who are specific targets for the advertising. How much does it cost to run an advert in a newspaper once a month, which might bring in a couple of new people. To be able to advertise to a specific audience - it only needs to bring in one new couple a month to your event (who wouldn't make it normally) to start being profitable.

Trampy

Lynn
11th-June-2004, 10:49 PM
Notice that the reps are back to anonymous again now (unless signed of course).

Also I see I am once again a 'senior'! :wink:

bigdjiver
12th-June-2004, 12:07 AM
Probably nothing. But in the not too distant future (might have happened already), no-one will be able to start a new thread in the social events, unless they are commercial members.... This is heading for being tricky. If I know about something good I like to tell people about it. Emma's Ceroc Central fun nights and the Jook Jive events being recent examples.

A simple question to a dance god / goddess, asking if they are going to be attending event X, or about a teacher or DJ, answered in the affirmative could bring in dozens of people. :devil: It is too easy to contrive such a conversation. It is too easy to see contrivance where there was none.:(

One answer is for everybody to pay, and for the forum to remain as loose as it is now. We all stand to benefit from this discourse. This would deter people from joining. :tears:

As I said - tricky. :confused:

Gadget
13th-June-2004, 12:01 AM
A simple question to a dance god / goddess, asking if they are going to be attending event X, or about a teacher or DJ, answered in the affirmative could bring in dozens of people. It is too easy to contrive such a conversation. It is too easy to see contrivance where there was none.
If I'm reading it right, you would still be able to post under existing threads, just not submit any new threads - so just find the thread that relates to the night in question and ask there.

Andy McGregor
13th-June-2004, 01:12 AM
Probably nothing. But in the not too distant future (might have happened already), no-one will be able to start a new thread in the social events, unless they are commercial members....

£150 a year is only £12 a month. Most people would think that maybe isn't a lot to advertise to all the people who read the forum (and the number is growing), who are specific targets for the advertising. How much does it cost to run an advert in a newspaper once a month, which might bring in a couple of new people. To be able to advertise to a specific audience - it only needs to bring in one new couple a month to your event (who wouldn't make it normally) to start being profitable.

Trampy

As the readers of the Forum are spaced all over the country I think the commercial mebership is probably most suited to the larger events which people travel some distance to. Competitions, weekends, holidays, etc would get their £150 back in no time.

To suggest some method of getting around this charge is to misunderstand the spirit of the Forum and the reasons behind the charges. IMHO Franck will not make a profit from the charges he is making: at best he might just cover his costs. But others are profiting from advertising their events here. Isn't it fair that those people who use the Forum for commercial purposes, and profit from that use, contribute to the cost of running the Forum?

DavidY
13th-June-2004, 11:36 PM
How about a new class called Ceroc Minus...

..minus the bouncy hand, skippy feet, free hand swinging above shoulder height, dancing in circles, smoking...

..one day, in Camelot :waycool:I could have sworn that someone (probably Andy) made another post about Camelot recently - I remember it because it quoted lyrics from the musical Camelot (by Lerner and Loewe).

Just tried to search for "Camelot" on the forum's search, and couldn't find it (I could see the post above, but not the earlier one). Am I going mad and it's all in my imagination that there was an earlier post mentioning Camelot (quite possible)?

Or is the forum search not working? :confused: :confused:

Andy McGregor
14th-June-2004, 12:22 AM
I could have sworn that someone (probably Andy) made another post about Camelot recently - I remember it because it quoted lyrics from the musical Camelot (by Lerner and Loewe).

The post you were looking for is here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64267#post64267) I remember this particular post because it's the only one I've received face-to-face compliments for from complete strangers:kiss:

Although I don't think that answers your question about the search facility it does provide the link for the particular search you conducted.

DavidY
14th-June-2004, 07:18 AM
The post you were looking for is here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64267#post64267) I remember this particular post because it's the only one I've received face-to-face compliments for from complete strangers:kiss:

Although I don't think that answers your question about the search facility it does provide the link for the particular search you conducted.Andy, Many thanks for the link. :hug: :flower:

I just tried the same search again, and it now finds those posts. But I'm sure it didn't when I tried last night. :confused:

Franck, is there a time overnight when the forum rebuilds its index (or something like that) which means searches don't work as well? :confused:

Franck
14th-June-2004, 08:40 AM
Franck, is there a time overnight when the forum rebuilds its index (or something like that) which means searches don't work as well? :confused:No, the search index is built as we post, but when I read your post last night and tried the same search, I found the same result so I re-built the search index (quite a time and server intensive routine).
Searches should now be more accurate :nice:
Thanks for reporting the problem!

Unregistered
14th-June-2004, 10:25 AM
Franck,

I'm looking at the forum as a Guest (long story) and it's all orange, unlike the signed in version, which is quite easy on the eye. Is this intentional?

Jayne
14th-June-2004, 10:30 AM
Franck,

I'm looking at the forum as a Guest (long story) and it's all orange, unlike the signed in version, which is quite easy on the eye. Is this intentional?

ooo the skins were at the bottom - found them now. That was quite frightening. Need a lie down now...

Jayne
14th-June-2004, 10:34 AM
Is there any way to integrate Lynda's List with the London calender?

That would be fab!

Minnie? Franck?

just playing...

DavidY
14th-June-2004, 01:35 PM
No, the search index is built as we post, but when I read your post last night and tried the same search, I found the same result so I re-built the search index (quite a time and server intensive routine).
Searches should now be more accurate :nice:
Thanks for reporting the problem!Thanks for sorting it out for us. :clap: :hug: :flower:

Gadget
14th-June-2004, 04:36 PM
In the "Who's going to win the football" poll, you can click on the number of votes to see who voted - is this just for closed polls?, is it something you can set when creating a poll?, is it only available to SilverSurfers?,...:confused:

Dreadful Scathe
14th-June-2004, 05:12 PM
In the "Who's going to win the football" poll, you can click on the number of votes to see who voted - is this just for closed polls?, is it something you can set when creating a poll?, is it only available to SilverSurfers?,...:confused:
I noticed that - when you first see a poll and you click on VIEW POLL it shows you the results with the names of the people who voted alongside. Once you vote though you cant see who voted for what anymore ! Whys that then ? :)

And are we now permanently back to anonymouse reputation comments ? I fairly neutral on the matter but if I get abuse can I ask the moderator to give me the name and address of the perp so I can send round Gus to 'sort em out' ? :)

Dreadful Scathe
15th-June-2004, 11:21 AM
I noticed that - when you first see a poll and you click on VIEW POLL it shows you the results with the names of the people who voted alongside.

hmm this feature now appears to be missing ? what happened there then ? :) an initial oversight ?

Franck
15th-June-2004, 11:31 AM
hmm this feature now appears to be missing ? what happened there then ? :) an initial oversight ?Polls are significantly improved in this version.
When you setup a poll, you can choose to make it a public poll and who voted is viewable. You can of course still choose to have a secret ballot!

In order to see who voted on a public poll, you need to click on the numbers in the results page, this takes you to a new page with the voters listed under each option.

Gadget
15th-June-2004, 11:59 AM
Franck - your aura has dropped - you're only a three pip general instead of a five pip captain!! :what:

So what's the thresholds for getting pips then?

Franck
15th-June-2004, 12:13 PM
Franck - your aura has dropped - you're only a three pip general instead of a five pip captain!! :what:

So what's the thresholds for getting pips then?I took my aura down to its proper level after experimenting / testing different levels :D
My Reputation now fluctuates with everyone elses.
There are different colours of 'pips' green for 50 points, bright green for 250 points. Red pips for negative reputation.
Everyone started at 10.
Looking at the top reps, it appears that the more you have posted in the last couple of weeks, the higher your rep is, as long as your post was either funny, helpful, controversial or just nice :D

RobC
15th-June-2004, 12:52 PM
Why do some people appear in the Who's Online list with a '+' next to their name ? Eg. AndyMcG was online just now and he had a + and I have seen others as well.

DavidY
15th-June-2004, 01:04 PM
I noticed that - when you first see a poll and you click on VIEW POLL it shows you the results with the names of the people who voted alongside. Once you vote though you cant see who voted for what anymore ! Whys that then ? :)

Is it because this particular poll now says it's "closed" (I imagine because it was set up with an expiry date)?

Maybe once it's closed, it hides the details of who said what? :confused: :confused:

Lou
15th-June-2004, 02:32 PM
Why do some people appear in the Who's Online list with a '+' next to their name ? Eg. AndyMcG was online just now and he had a + and I have seen others as well.
Is he, by chance, a buddy of yours? :wink:

Lynn
16th-June-2004, 11:55 AM
Polls are significantly improved in this version.
When you setup a poll, you can choose to make it a public poll and who voted is viewable. You can of course still choose to have a secret ballot!

In order to see who voted on a public poll, you need to click on the numbers in the results page, this takes you to a new page with the voters listed under each option.
Also noticed that when you vote in a poll, not a public one, and then look at the results after you have voted, the choice you voted for appears in italics. Just in case you had forgotten what you voted!

Lynn
22nd-June-2004, 12:52 PM
Just noticed something else - there is a little tick beside threads that you are subscibed to. Appears on the 'new/recents posts' search and shows up beside relevant threads when you are viewing 'Who's online'. Not sure if this has just recently appeared, or if I have just noticed it.

Franck
22nd-June-2004, 01:00 PM
Just noticed something else - there is a little tick beside threads that you are subscibed to. Appears on the 'new/recents posts' search and shows up beside relevant threads when you are viewing 'Who's online'. Not sure if this has just recently appeared, or if I have just noticed it.The tick next to the thread name lets you know that you are currently subscribed to that thread (you can read / edit subscriptions in your control panel).
This is a new feature I have implemented this morning :D

RobC
23rd-June-2004, 01:34 AM
Frank, are you now restricting postings to the Social Events area ? I just tried replying to the MJC thread and some message came up (which i didn't have time to read before it redirected me) and my posting isn't being shown :sad:

RobC
23rd-June-2004, 01:42 AM
Just noticed that for threads that I have started, if I click on the thread tools link, I now have additional "Admin Tools" options. Is there any instructions on what these do - or is it the case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and we should leave these new options alone ? :whistle:

foxylady
23rd-June-2004, 10:24 AM
I've stopped getting email notification of threads I have subscribed to, and PM's etc... Any idea why this could be ?? I haven't made any changes...:confused:

Franck
23rd-June-2004, 11:39 AM
Frank, are you now restricting postings to the Social Events area ? I just tried replying to the MJC thread and some message came up (which i didn't have time to read before it redirected me) and my posting isn't being shown :sad:Hi Rob,

All posts / threads on the Social events Forum are now put in a moderator queue. This is in line with the new Commercial membership status. Advertising is now only permitted to Commercial members (who paid their subscription).
All other posts will be moderated and normally allowed if they are not directly advertising (i.e. genuine questions / smaller charity events etc.).

As a result, there will be a short delay before your post appears (typically the time it takes for myself or one of the moderators (Emma / Sheena) to look through the queue.

Franck
23rd-June-2004, 11:40 AM
Just noticed that for threads that I have started, if I click on the thread tools link, I now have additional "Admin Tools" options. Is there any instructions on what these do - or is it the case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and we should leave these new options alone ? :whistle:The options are there for some members who have extra powers, to delete / move / edit threads / posts. If you do not have access privileges, the forum will let you know so no harm will be done.

Franck
23rd-June-2004, 11:42 AM
I've stopped getting email notification of threads I have subscribed to, and PM's etc... Any idea why this could be ?? I haven't made any changes...:confused:Slightly puzzled by that. The best thing to do is to check your control panel and the default setting for thread subscriptions. There are a number of options available (including weekly / daily digests for those of you that are too busy to read every day).
If you are still having problems, email or pm me with more details and I'll take a closer look. :nice:

Gadget
24th-June-2004, 01:32 PM
Can the popup to request read recipt on PM's be moved to a tic-box in the "other options" bit? I don't know about anyone else, but I find it annoying.

Franck
24th-June-2004, 02:16 PM
Can the popup to request read recipt on PM's be moved to a tic-box in the "other options" bit? I don't know about anyone else, but I find it annoying.You are right, and I found it annoying (and confusing) too.
I have now modified the code so that you the 'read receipt' option is a check box, checked by default. :D

No easy way (yet) to lose the pop-up on the receiver's side.

Keep them improvements / suggestions coming :nice:

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 02:58 PM
Eeeeeeuuch! I've just had my first orange experience, it really is horrible, now I know what the others were on about. :sick:
I'd just been into my profile to change my email notifaction option (and nothing else), then everything went orange, I hope I can get back to normal v quickly.

Greg

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 03:03 PM
Phew, that's better - I'm back to blue. Franck, does the viewing option automatically go back to "default" if you change any of your other options, 'cos I certainly didn't touch the drop down box?

Greg

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 03:28 PM
While I'm having a whinge, is there anyone else that gets "Run Time Errors" popping up since the new version of the forum. It sometimes happens when I click on a smiley, or, like my latest one, when I get the PM reply window up "Line 385, Error: Object Expected" (Franck I'm sure you don't want me to send you a debug of it!)

And did anybody know that if you accidentally hit "Escape" while typing a reply, it wipes the reply panel clean? :angry:

Greg

RobC
24th-June-2004, 04:19 PM
While I'm having a whinge, is there anyone else that gets "Run Time Errors" popping up since the new version of the forum. It sometimes happens when I click on a smiley, or, like my latest one, when I get the PM reply window up "Line 385, Error: Object Expected" (Franck I'm sure you don't want me to send you a debug of it!)

And did anybody know that if you accidentally hit "Escape" while typing a reply, it wipes the reply panel clean? :angry:

Greg
What browser / version are you using ? I use IE6 and Netscape (can't remember the version) without any probs at all. Sounds like you are having problems with your browser running the embedded javascript functions. Check if any updates are available for your browser.

Rob

Gadget
28th-June-2004, 01:19 PM
Just curious; in the member's profile, there is a big section saying "groups belonged to" - What's this?

Could it be used for (eg) taxis, teachers, moderators, etc...? Or is it for "public" groups that members can set up (you wanna be in my gang, my gang, my gang)?

Sheepman
28th-June-2004, 03:51 PM
What browser / version are you using ? I use IE6. Me too :blush: and with all the latest updates, but the problems don't seem to be at all consistent.

Franck, I changed my options last week, so as to get a daily email notification of updated posts, but this has made no difference, I still get instant notifications. Is there something I'm missing?

Greg

Franck
28th-June-2004, 04:03 PM
Franck, I changed my options last week, so as to get a daily email notification of updated posts, but this has made no difference, I still get instant notifications. Is there something I'm missing?Ok, I took a look and your settings appeared to be correct, so I reset all your subcribed threads (so you're not subscribed to any of them anymore).
Hopefully once you post or choose to re-subscribe to a thread, the emails will work as intended.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-July-2004, 03:03 PM
the forum will not let me send replys to PMs since I started using Mozilla Firebird on this machine. It was ok with replys in Internet Explorer but wouldnt send new PMs. What browser are you supposed to use or is it a coincidence - is it down to astrology ? maybe Pluto is in Uranus ?

Franck
2nd-July-2004, 03:23 PM
the forum will not let me send replys to PMs since I started using Mozilla Firebird on this machine. It was ok with replys in Internet Explorer but wouldnt send new PMs. What browser are you supposed to use or is it a coincidence - is it down to astrology ? maybe Pluto is in Uranus ?Hi DS,

PMs are working fine here (on Safari) and for others (mostly Internet Explorer) so I guess the issue is with Firebird.
Do you have pop-ups blocked by any chance? It might be connected as I believe the check for receipt feature uses a temporary popup window...

Will investigate further later :)

Gadget
2nd-July-2004, 05:18 PM
I was getting the same errors - "please complete the subject/body" when trying to send them. (Admittedly I was using NetCaptor and not IE)