PDA

View Full Version : Exiting dips/drops/seducers

Gadget
2nd-June-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by JiveCat
I have begun to think more recently about good ways to exit from drops. There doesn't seem much point in learning how to sink elegantly & stylishly (one hopes) into the horizontal bit if there's panic & confusion on reaching the vertical once more. Having accomplished the difficult bit, I think the lead of the exit sometimes gets a bit fuzzy. At least, that's my excuse.

What would leaders like their followers to do at the end of a drop? (I know this should be on another thread, really.)
Personally, I like the look of "fast-in:slow-out" for a more dramatic look, but I tend to pause before lowering my partner which means it's not as smooth as I would like. Alternativly I use "slow-in:slow-out"; gives me time to prepare and the lady time to refuse.

I like the look of going from a low 'line' on one side, pendulum up and accross to a low 'line' on the other; but have only seen a few people do this.

Rachel
10th-June-2004, 11:50 AM
Hee hee! For a while, recently, I thought it would be nice to come out of drops slooowly - with the idea of making them look elegant, controlled, & refined ... But then I saw myself do that on video and it just looked as if I weighed 20 stone and Marc was having trouble getting me up!!
Rachel

Gus
10th-June-2004, 12:16 PM
Personally, I like the look of "fast-in:slow-out" for a more dramatic look, but I tend to pause before lowering my partner which means it's not as smooth as I would like. Alternativly I use "slow-in:slow-out"; gives me time to prepare and the lady time to refuse.

I think that its a mistake to look at the entry/exit into drops from the limited perspective of the beat before and after. LL made it very clear that a good drop is part of a sequence, building up the visual image so that the drop is 'part' of an extended 'move' rather than a sharp incident that sticks out like a sore thumb , IMHO of course:D .

under par
27th-September-2004, 04:48 AM
This thread feels incomplete when read! :devil:

Come on are there any good tips for making the exit from a drop look fantastic and sensual, or dramatic ? :flower:

LilyB
27th-September-2004, 11:24 AM
Hee hee! For a while, recently, I thought it would be nice to come out of drops slooowly - with the idea of making them look elegant, controlled, & refined ... But then I saw myself do that on video and it just looked as if I weighed 20 stone and Marc was having trouble getting me up!!
Rachel

A good way of coming up from a drop slowly and still look "elegant, controlled & refined" ( :wink: ) is to do a reverse body roll, ie. by raising your hips first followed by the rest of your body - head last - in a 'wave' action. Note that this is may not be possible if your partner is holding you in a restrictive way. Another solution is to use your spare arm as you are being brought up - bring your arm in slowly and gracefully - caress your partner's head/face/chest while looking at him seductively :drool: . Again, note that this course of action may only be appropriate with someone you are pretty familiar with! :D

LilyB

Lounge Lizard
27th-September-2004, 12:23 PM
This thread feels incomplete when read! :devil:

Come on are there any good tips for making the exit from a drop look fantastic and sensual, or dramatic ? :flower:I could give loads of advice on this one.

firstly depends on the track being played - not just whether it is fast or slow but how it 'feels'

How dit you lead the lady into it - the build up and exit should be balanced

What type of dip drop or seducer - how low can you go - remember the limitations are your surroundings (other dancers/space etc.) not just your strength or technique

make sure you position the lady into a dance step when you exit the move - the link (unless the end of a track or major break) should be seamless.

Best way to learn how to get into and out of dips/drops etc - go to a workshop where they teach all aspects of these moves (not just the drop her down pick her up parts).
Learn how to use body posture, balance and style to execute the moves properly
perhaps even buy a DVD (or three) :wink:

Peter Phillips (beware of imitations)

Jon L
9th-October-2004, 12:29 AM
I
Peter Phillips (beware of imitations) :wink: could ever be a clone of Mr. Lizard?

Seriously one point that is often missed by a lot of ladies is they throw their head back in a drop/seducer . Unless you know your partner well (then it may look stylish) it ads 30% weight for us to take. Also with the head thrown back (unless on the end of the record), it can make life very difficult for the guy to return the fair maiden back to the upright position tidily.

Daisy Chain
11th-October-2004, 07:12 PM
Seriously one point that is often missed by a lot of ladies is they throw their head back in a drop/seducer . Unless you know your partner well (then it may look stylish) it ads 30% weight for us to take. Also with the head thrown back (unless on the end of the record), it can make life very difficult for the guy to return the fair maiden back to the upright position tidily.

:yeah: Years ago, I learned a lovely graceful alternative from the wonderful Sue Taylor. As the man lowers her into a seducer, the lady looks away (usually to the left) as though refusing to look at him and turns it back to meet his eye as he raises her up. This protects the lady's neck from any whiplash damage and avoids the embarrassment for both parties of any prolonged eye contact. :eek:

It also gives the lady a chance to eye up her next opponent :wink:

Daisy Chain

(A Coy Little Flower)

RogerR
11th-October-2004, 09:31 PM
Remember that dancing together, for fun, should feel good together. Dancing for show should look good. Good pro dancers are extremely fit but still often carry injuries caused by over-doing something for the sake of the ART.