PDA

View Full Version : Southport : Ladies/Men Ratio

johnah
2nd-June-2004, 09:48 AM
At the first Southport Extravadanca last month, 53% of the dancers were ladies and 47% men. Not a bad split considering that at most MJ dance events there is usually 10-15% more ladies than men.

Judging by the feedback we've had from the ladies, they were not short of dance partners and as the bookings for September's "Jiving You Wild" Extravadanca steadily pour in, we'll do what we can to maintain a good balance.

:waycool:

For all the latest news and info see www.jiveaddiction.com

ChrisA
2nd-June-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by johnah
At the first Southport Extravadanca last month, 53% of the dancers were ladies and 47% men. Not a bad split considering that at most MJ dance events there is usually 10-15% more ladies than men.

53/47 = 1.128

ie 12.8 % more ladies than men :rofl:

Did you hear the one about the company where 40% of their employees' sick days were taken on either a Monday or a Friday? Shocking, huh??? :wink:

johnah
2nd-June-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA
53/47 = 1.128

ie 12.8 % more ladies than men :rofl:

Did you hear the one about the company where 40% of their employees' sick days were taken on either a Monday or a Friday? Shocking, huh??? :wink:

:wink:

I may not be a mathmetician, but it is a simple case of subtraction ie:
53% - 47% = 6%.

DavidB
2nd-June-2004, 10:41 AM
Sorry Johnah - my vote is with Chris on this one.

Still a great event though.

ChrisA
2nd-June-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by johnah
:wink:

I may not be a mathmetician, but it is a simple case of subtraction ie:
53% - 47% = 6%.

Suppose you had a venue, and 100 guys turned up, and 115 ladies. Would you not say there were 15% more ladies than men?

If you have 50 apples, and you want 10% more apples than you had before, would you not say that you'd end up with 55 apples?

Well then, if you have 47 men and 53 ladies, then that is an excess of 6 ladies. 6 is 12.8% of 47. So there are 12.8% more ladies than men.

Minnie M
2nd-June-2004, 10:51 AM
What is going on here :confused:

Which ever way you look at it - with the possibility of having about 1000 dancers, that make a lot more ladies :really:

However, if the men are quality :drool: who cares :clap: - that doesn't mean I want more girlies though :innocent: although it might make Mikey's "Menage a Trois" class easier :rofl:

johnah
2nd-June-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
Sorry Johnah - my vote is with Chris on this one.

Still a great event though.

Benjamin Disraeli , the Prime Minister of the British Empire from 1874-1880, was reported by Mark Twain to have uttered this brilliant quote on statistical analysis: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."

:rofl:

But it's all good fun though and, it's no lie to say that Southport IS a great event.:cheers:

Bardsey
2nd-June-2004, 03:04 PM
Seemed pretty even to me. Sometimes you can go to a dance and it stands out a mile that there are more (usually) women than men, but at Southport I thought it looked even all the time. I certainly had my share of dances, hardly sat down at all, but then I am an MJ hussy and will ask anyone to dance :rofl:

Alfie
3rd-June-2004, 12:26 AM
:tears: never asked me:tears:

Martin
3rd-June-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA

If you have 50 apples, and you want 10% more apples than you had before, would you not say that you'd end up with 55 apples?

50 apples you got 50 apples - could have given one to me :sad:

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 11:08 AM
:tears: never asked me:tears:

Never met you! There must have been loads of forumites there who I didn't get to meet, despite holding the Forumite meeting on the Friday night. I promise to make a point of it next time :kiss:

johnah
3rd-June-2004, 11:31 AM
Never met you! There must have been loads of forumites there who I didn't get to meet, despite holding the Forumite meeting on the Friday night. I promise to make a point of it next time :kiss:

:nice:

Think you'll have to arrange another Forumite reception Bardsey!! :cheers:

www.jiveaddiction.com

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 11:39 AM
Think you'll have to arrange another Forumite reception Bardsey!!
Sounds like a good plan! There are loads of forumites I didn't meet either (though I did have a lovely dance with Alfie :grin: )

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 11:53 AM
:nice:

Think you'll have to arrange another Forumite reception Bardsey!! :cheers:

www.jiveaddiction.com

I think so too......in September? Different format next time though, cos a lot of the folks there were not forumites and it got a bit confusing. I went up to 3 guys standing at the bar and asked them their forum names and they looked at me blank. They hadn#t a clue what I was talking about! Still, I got a dance out of it :rofl:

johnah
3rd-June-2004, 12:05 PM
I think so too......in September? Different format next time though, cos a lot of the folks there were not forumites and it got a bit confusing. I went up to 3 guys standing at the bar and asked them their forum names and they looked at me blank. They hadn#t a clue what I was talking about! Still, I got a dance out of it :rofl:

:yeah:

Yes, different format Bardsey. The simple fact is, the Forumites were having such good fun, Trampy's music was great etc etc and this attracted non-forumites to the Dance Den. Who can blame them wanting to join in? But, we'll discuss a different approach in September. :wink:

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 12:21 PM
Was it a problem, having non-forum members there? After all, any non-forum member, is a potential forum member :D

Might have been nice to have badges for forum members or something to make us all easily identifiable...

Trampy

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 12:26 PM
Might have been nice to have badges for forum members or something to make us all easily identifiable... Or even sticky labels (OK - a bit basic - but easy to do and cheap!). And somewhere to collect them from/someone to hand them out...

TheTramp
3rd-June-2004, 12:29 PM
Well. Ok. Sticky labels were what I meant, rather than actual badges.

I did mean to bring some in May, but forgot :tears:

Trampy

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 12:31 PM
Maybe that's one idea for September then.

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 01:10 PM
Well. Ok. Sticky labels were what I meant, rather than actual badges.

I did mean to bring some in May, but forgot :tears:

Trampy

I did have sticky labels all sorted out (some already named up, even) but in all the excitement I forgot to put them in my case......durghh!!!!!! :(

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 01:20 PM
I did have sticky labels all sorted out (some already named up, even) but in all the excitement I forgot to put them in my case......durghh!!!!!! :( See - you were well organised - up to a point (the point where they didn't make it into the suitcase!) - and you can bring them in September!

Bardsey
3rd-June-2004, 01:22 PM
See - you were well organised - up to a point (the point where they didn't make it into the suitcase!) - and you can bring them in September!

:yeah: Story of my life :rofl:

Lynn
3rd-June-2004, 01:31 PM
:yeah: Story of my life :rofl: Me too - on the way out to a walk last night I meant to pick up an extra pair of shoes (to wear later instead of my old trainers) and picked up a cardi instead (despite the fact I was already wearing one!) :rofl:

Worked out well though as someone else was cold and I was able to lend them my spare one!!

Alfie
4th-June-2004, 06:20 AM
:clap:I hold you to that unless we meet up earlier Bardsey. :grin: :grin:

Bardsey
4th-June-2004, 11:46 AM
:clap:I hold you to that unless we meet up earlier Bardsey. :grin: :grin:

I'll look forward to it. :hug: :kiss: